Login     Help

7.07 - Lose Your Way by Renae, Jessica, Christy

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Joey’s apartment

The cab drops them off right in front of Joey’s door, on the sidewalk. Dawson pays the fare and Joey opens an umbrella over them both. Her arm around his waist, his arm around her shoulder, they cross the street carefully. They enter her apartment with Dawson holding the door open for her and she immediately takes her coat off, tossing her keys and purse on the table.

Dawson watches her closely as she slips off her shoes and throws herself on the couch. She doesn’t look so pale now, just tired. He turns on some lights and moves into the kitchen, taking off his own coat in the process.

"Jo, do you want something to drink? Like water or tea? Oh wait, you have some Sprite. That could help settle your stomach," Dawson calls from the kitchen, looking in her refrigerator.

"I’m fine. I just need to rest a bit and talk to my best friend," she smiles widely, watching him return and reaching her hand out to him.

"Well, I think I can do that," he says, moving over to the couch and placing her feet on his lap. She sighs and after a moment she sits up to see him better.

"God, I was so terrified tonight, Dawson! I thought I was going to faint the entire time," Joey says, which earns her a surprised look from Dawson.

"I would have never guessed Jo, not once," Dawson says, rubbing her feet a bit. "You looked so confident and cool, totally at ease with everyone and everything."

"And I was. Somehow I was. But at the same time, I was terrified that I would slip up and embarrass myself or look like a total fool," Joey laughs softly at herself, moving some hair from her face.

"You would never do that Jo," Dawson says honestly, looking at her. "You have so much talent and this magnetic personality that draws everyone toward you. It’s almost like you radiate this natural glow and energy that people are drawn toward. And I can tell you that I saw how clearly they all respect you as a person and as an editor."

("Rinse" by Vanessa Carlton starts playing in the background)

"What makes you so sure Dawson? Why do you have so much faith and confidence in me?" Joey asked curiously, staring at him. He was always able to do that. He always says what she needs to hear and she knows he is being sincere, not just feeding her ego.

and if she runs away she fears she won't be followed
what could be the worse than leaving something behind
and as the depth of oceans slowly become shallow
it's loneliness she finds…

"Because Joey, I have faith in you. Besides, you could never fail at this," Dawson says, patting her foot reassuringly.

if only he was mine

"You give me too much credit, Dawson. I’ve failed at so many things. Things I’ve done, things I’ve said, choices I made," Joey says, getting a bit emotional. At least she can be sure she is spending her money well. Should she… should she tell him about it? About all the questions she’s been asking herself lately? ‘What are you waiting for?’ Audrey asked her this morning. What is she waiting for? What is she so scared of?

how she'd be soothed, how she'd be saved if he could see
she needs to be held in his arms to be free

"Guess what Jo?" Dawson says, making her look at him. "Making mistakes, making wrong choices is part of growing up and we’re all guilty of it."

"But what if you make the same mistakes over and over again? Dawson, is that part of maturing and growing up?" she asks, anxious for his response. "What if making the same mistakes over and over again is something that will never allow me to really grow? What about the missed chances?"

she's been wishin' on the stars that shine so bright
for answers to the questions that will haunt her tonight

Dawson looks at her solemnly, her words reaching a place deep inside of him. A place he isn’t ready to go just yet.

"Don’t worry about growing up, Jo. We’re 24. There’re a lot of things we have yet to experience. And you will Jo. You will experience them. Actually, you have but you just don’t see it," Dawson says with a smile. "So maybe making the same mistakes repeatedly is just part of growing up."

but everything happens for reasons that she will never understand
'til she knows the heart of a woman will never be found in the arms of a man

"Yeah, maybe," Joey says softly, smiling at him and catching his eye. Their gazes lock and suddenly, there is no longer a need for words.

she'd do anything to sparkle in his eye
she would suffer, she would fight, and compromise
she's been wishin' on the stars that shine so bright
for answers to the questions that will haunt her tonight

The rain hits the windows softly, a perfect backdrop for this timeless moment.


The Capeside Hospital

Grams, Jack, and Doug sit in the waiting room of the hospital. Jack has his arm around Grams while Doug holds hands with Jack. Worried looks cover their faces as the doctors all walk in. Jack, Doug, and Grams stand up to hear the news.

"We’re sorry but Amy has pneumonia. Unfortunately, Amy’s pneumonia is very severe and she could have died if you hadn’t brought her I as quickly as you did. We are doing our very best to treat her right now and she needs to stay in the hospital until we can treat her illness completely," the first doctor says.

Grams crumples back into her chair as she starts crying. Jack wraps his arms around her, wanting to comfort her. Doug closes his eyes and bows his head, sighing heavily.

"We have a social worker we’d like you to talk to. She’s waiting outside to speak to you about Amy," The second doctor says.

"Okay," Jack agreed numbly. "You will keep us updated on Amy then?"

"Yes, we will keep you updated on Amy," the first doctor replies.

"Thank you," Jack says, defeated since the moment he heard them mention the social worker.

With that, the doctors leave and the social worker walks in.

"Hi, I’m Caroline, a social worker with the state," she says, introducing herself to Jack, Doug, and Grams.

"Hi, nice to meet you," Jack says politely as they shake hands. Caroline proceeds to greet Doug and Grams as well.

"Let’s have a seat," Caroline says as they all sit down. "So, I understand your child, Amy has pneumonia? From what I’ve been told, it’s not good. I know she’s adopted. May I ask how Amy came to live with you? A little bit about your family?"

"Amy is the child of my best friend, Jen, who recently died. The biological father of Amy ran off so Jen had to care for Amy herself. I helped her, of course, and so has Grams. I just gained custody of her a few weeks ago. We know Jen would want her to be with us" Jack explains, trying to make the last point crystal clear.

"I see. I’m sorry for your loss," Caroline says.

"Thank you," Jack says.

"So, Amy has been living with you since her mother’s death?" Caroline asks.

"Yes, she has been living with me and Jen´s grandmother," Jack replies, gesturing to Grams beside him.

Caroline nods and asks, "So, how did this happen to Amy?"

"It’s all my fault. I forgot to close the window in her bedroom," Grams speaks up, weeping her tears inconsolable

"No, that’s not true," Jack says, defending her. "It was my fault. I’ve been working too much. Usually I always make sure everything is okay before I leave but I was in a rush and I forgot. I should have paid more attention to Amy. I should have made sure everything was all right. I could have prevented this from happening."

Doug bows down his head once again. He knows when Jack gets like that there is nothing that can be said to convince him otherwise.

"Look, this is not about looking for who is guilty and who is not. But I must warn you that there could be consequences," Caroline says.

"What kind of consequences?" Jack asks her, although he already knows. His heart skips a beat as he waits for the answer.

"You having custody of Amy may be reviewed if these problems continue," Caroline replies softly.

Jack has a pained look on his face after hearing this news. He nods his head as he bites his upper lip and then looks over at Doug. Doug squeezes his hand in support and Grams start crying again.

Somewhere downtown in New Orleans

Pacey and Danny enter a bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The bar is full of people, some dancing, some playing pool and some just waiting to see whom they can take home for the night. They move between people, trying to make their way over to the bar to sit down.

"I think I’m getting too old for this," Danny yells at Pacey even though he is sitting next to him.

"Are you kidding? This place has ambience, style and appeal. What are you talking about?" Danny hears the sarcasm in his voice.

("Why Georgia" by John Mayer starts playing in the background)

"Don’t tell me you’ve outgrown these type of places? Last time I checked, you still liked getting those marks on your bedpost," Danny laughs as he turns around to survey the "goods" in the bar.

I am driving up 85 in the
Kind of morning that lasts all afternoon
just stuck inside the gloom

"This might sound odd but I think I need to throw that bedpost in the wood chipper." The bartender hands Pacey his drink as Danny turns around looking at him, a bit surprised.

"Pacey Witter has changed his stripes? That’ll be the day," Danny slurs, speaking in Irish brogue. "You and I are one of a kind. This is just a phase, trust me. It will pass and you will realize the appeal of places like this one," he says, winking at him.

Four more exits to my apartment but
I am tempted to keep the car in drive
And leave it all behind

"Stranger things have happened, man," Pacey says and suddenly the thought being like Danny makes him sick. He is not like him. But there is this little voice in the back of his head that keeps telling him ‘What’s the difference? He is unfaithful to his wife and you go to bed with women that are being unfaithful to their husbands.’

Cause I wonder sometimes
About the outcome
Of a still verdictless life

`It’s not the same,’ he tells himself. Upset, he shakes his head and glances to his left then his right, feeling as if someone were watching him. He isn’t wrong. Realizing where Pacey´s glance is resting, Danny excuses himself with a smile.

"I’ll be right back." Danny ambles towards the back of the bar to the restroom.

Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?

Once the coast is clear, Pacey feels a warm breathe on his neck.

"Hey there," the voice says with a heavy southern accent.

Pacey turns his head to look around to see a woman, a beautiful woman to be more exact, black long hair, slightly curly in the tips, big brown eyes, full lips, tight dress. She places her hand on the bar as she leans in to it. Pacey looks her up and down, then he turns to look forward.

I rent a room and I fill the spaces with
Wood in places to make it feel like home
But all I feel's alone
It might be a quarter life crisis
Or just the stirring in my soul

"Care to buy a gal a drink?" The woman sits down on the stool next to him. Pacey watches as she crosses her long, lean legs before looking up into her face. She tilts her head slightly and Pacey looks appreciatively back at her.

"Do you like older women?" she ask with a sultry smile, speaking in her thick southern accent.

Pacey can’t help but let out a chuckle, which catches the woman a bit off guard. "You know, I’ve been down this road before…well, not exactly this exact road but something pretty much like it." The woman looks at him rather perplexed but then she smiles seductively.

So what, so I've got a smile on
But it's hiding the quiet superstitions in my head

"Well, honey, you haven’t been down my road." She turns sideways on the stool, placing her hand on Pacey´s shoulder.
He can’t do this. Well, actually, he could. But he won’t. This is the kind of person he has been the last five years, with the excuse of not having his so called true love by his side. What would be the excuse now? No, this is not the person he wants to be and he won’t. He sees it all clearly now.

Don't believe me
When I say I've got it down

"I’m not trying to be rude but I’d like to think that I’ve gotten past this kind of thing," he motions between them.

Everybody is just a stranger but
That's the danger in going my own way
I guess it's the price I have to pay

"Suit yourself," she says sliding slowly off the stool, letting enough of he short dress ride up her thighs and still looking at him for some kind of reaction to her flesh. But she doesn’t get it so she leaves. She throws him an offended look before she walks away.

Little does Pacey know that Danny has been watching the whole interlude. Once the woman leaves, he sits back down next to Pacey, disappointment clearly written all over his face. "Are you crazy letting a tight number like that get away?" Pacey is caught a bit off guard by Danny’s comment. And he realizes that this whole night out is not a god idea.

Pacey gets up and starts to leave. "See you at work tomorrow, Danny," he says.

"Hey ,Witter," Danny says, causing Pacey to turn around. "What gives?" Danny looks at him with a questioning look.

Still "everything happens for a reason"
Is no reason not to ask myself

"Let’s just say that everything doesn’t revolve around sex and that sex is not the answer. I’m going home." Pacey walks out of the bar, leaving a rather stunned Danny behind. After a moment, he goes to the woman that Pacey had been talking to only a few minutes ago and he is welcomed with a warm smile.

If I am living it right
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Why Georgia, why?

Back to the Capeside Hospital

Walking out of Amy’s hospital room in a daze, Jack stumbles down the hallway, unsure of where he’s going. Stopping half way down the hall, he looks to his side and notices some chairs in a quiet hallway not far from the nurse’s station. Walking to one of the chairs and collapsing in one, sighing heavily and trying to keep himself together, Jack reaches for his cell phone, flipping through his address book and finally selecting a number.

"Hi it’s me," he says, feeling the tears and anguish inside starting to surface. "Yeah, it’s good to hear your voice too. I miss you…no I’m fine…really…"

Putting his hand on his forehead, willing the tears to stop, his body begins to shake as the sobs linger just below the surface, aching to come out.

"Okay, I lied," he says, choking out his words. "Amy’s sick. She has pneumonia. I guess someone accidentally left her bedroom window open and when Grams went to check on her, she had a really high fever. We immediately brought her to the hospital. Yeah, they said she’ll be okay but it’s bad…she could have died. My baby girl, my only link left to Jen, could have died and I wasn’t there. I was working and Grams was watching her. I know it’s no one’s fault and that it just happened but it gets worse. A social worker came to visit and starting hinting toward things. Well, things like this could have consequences, that my custody could be questioned. This is just great, like I need something like this to happen and jeopardize things for us any more. No, Grams is still with Amy. I’m in a hallway in the hospital. Oh, god what do I do? I don’t know how to help her! All I want is Amy with us. If I lost her…I know I’m jumping to conclusions and should calm down but come on. Has anything ever just magically been okay? Why can’t they just leave us alone and let me raise her like Jen wanted? Why does it have to be such a fight? Why can’t they let me just love her and be a father to her? She’s already lost so much, why can’t she just have everyone leave her alone?"

As a few tears fall down his face, his heart pounding and his body still slightly shaking, he stops for a minute, ignoring the other person’s voice as he hears a noise in the hallway, afraid someone has been listening this entire time. Pausing, he waits for a few moments of silence to continue.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I thought I heard something," he says, taking several deep breaths. "All I would need is for someone to hear all this and take it back to the social worker or family services. What do I do? Tell me what to do because I don’t know anymore. Part of me just wants to run away from everything, to take Amy and just leave and start over somewhere else. I know it wouldn’t work, they would find us and we’d never be able to come home. I know. I know you’re right. You’re right, nothing has been decided and I’m just…but what if? What if they take her from me?" Unable to control himself anymore, the soothing voice on the other end of the phone unable to calm him down, Jack begins to cry, muffling his sobs in his hand and shirt.


Joey’s apartment in New York

Dawson and Joey are inside her apartment, comfortably relaxing on Joey’s couch in the living room. Joey is still lying on the couch, feeling much better after she finally conceded to Dawson and drank some tea. Dawson is sitting at the opposite end of the couch. He is slightly leaned sideways to look at her better. Joey is talking to him, her voice trailing off all of a sudden, creating an audible silence in the room.

Dawson watches as Joey fights to stay awake. He smiles as he watches her mouth opens ever so slightly and hears her breathing soften. He begins to get up, causing her to open her eyes. "Dawson?" she says sleepily.

He glances at his watch. "Jo, it’s getting really late and I should go," he says getting off the couch and looking for his shoes.

Joey sits up and looks at him as he puts the shoes on.

"You could stay." She feels her heart accelerate, realizing exactly what she had just said. ‘What’s the big deal? We used to do this all the time. We did it not so long ago actually,’ she thinks to herself.

Dawson looks at her and then walks back over to the couch, standing near it, looking down at her. "You sure? You don’t think it would be…"

"It would be what, Dawson? We’ve done this thousands of times, plain and simple." A moment passes between them and it seems like he is about to say something but he doesn’t. "Dawson, it’s late and I’m tired. Aren’t you?" She stares into his dark blue eyes and he holds her gaze, trying to read her hazel ones. Joey just stands up and walks towards her bedroom but not before glancing behind her to see Dawson still standing in the living room.

"Are you coming?" She asks, smiling softly at him, thinking that a part of her wants him to say yes and another part of her thinks she’s crazy for doing this. Tonight of all nights, she feels a little crazy for making this.

"Okay," he says, still a little unsure. For some reason, this time it feels… different. Not because of her, but… Until now, all the times they have shared a bed has always been in a familiar place for him. But this was her apartment and it just feels… different. But he shakes the thought away as he follows her into her bedroom.

They both walk to the bed, Dawson, unbuttoning his shirt.

"Regular positions as always?" Joey asks, looking at him questionably as there is a far away look in his face.

"Of course," he nods his head a bit coming back to the present.

"You still with me?" She playfully asks raising her eyebrows.

"Always," he smiles as they simultaneously pull back the covers.

They both crawl in to bed. Dawson lies on his back with Joey on her side. They both are reflecting on the situation. They have done this so many times before and yet they wonder for how much longer they will be able to do it. Will they be forty years old and still sleep together in the same bed as "just friends?" Whenever one of them is dating someone else, it feels safe. When they don’t… it just feels… dangerous.

(Dawson and Joey instrumental tune starts playing in the background)

"Dawson?" she calls his name rather softly.

"Yeah," he says, turning to face her. Joey moves so that she is now on her right side facing him, her head propped up with her hand.

"I need to tell you something," she announces. Dawson moves laying on his left side his hand propping up his head, intrigued.

Joey says it very quickly. "I’ve been going to therapy." Her eyes lock with Dawson’s. First his eyes go wide open and then he smiles. So that was it. That was what she was keeping from him, but now she has finaly told him. And it feels good to know she is still able to talk to him about everything

"It’s about damn time." This earns him a playful slap from Joey. Then he laughs. "When did this happen?" Dawson asks, wondering how long this had been going on.

"A few months ago, shortly after Jen’s death. I just felt…so… empty and sad. She died so young. But, that wasn’t all. I needed to understand so much Dawson. I still do. There are things I need to figure out about me and about… the people around me." She stops, feeling that is just too soon to put some things out there in the open. Things that she still needs to figure out by herself anyway.

"I’m glad you felt like you could go get help," Dawson says in a supportive tone. "I remember after my dad died I felt…well, kind of weak that I needed help from someone. But it helped me a lot." Joey nods her head, remembering back to that time and also thinking about how much she has learned during her short time in therapy.

Dawson lightly chuckles and she looks at him questioningly. "You know, Jo, this just means that you are becoming more of a New Yorker everyday," he teases her.

"Why, because I’m in therapy?" She playfully shoves him and he falls back onto his back. They both laugh, realizing that the awkwardness they both were feeling is now gone as Dawson begins to share his experiences in therapy. Joey listens intently, smiling and nodding her head before talking herself.

Time passes by with the two of them hardly realizing it, as always.


On a Manhattan street, NYC

Two people are walking slowly down a desert street. The road and everything glitters under the moonlight because of the rain has fallen. They both throw little glances at one another and laugh, breaking the silence around them. Ethan and Samantha smile at one another and she suddenly stops, causing Ethan to look over her shoulder at the house behind her.

"This is me," she says with a smile and he chuckles.

"I had fun tonight. Thanks for going with me," Ethan says, shuffling his feet.

"I had a nice time too. I hope Joey feels better. I should call her tomorrow and make sure," Samantha says, watching Ethan nod in agreement.

"Yeah, I hope it was just a bug or something and she didn’t get food poisoning at her own promotion party," Ethan says, causing Samantha to laugh a bit.

"Oh yeah, food poisoning at your own party - so not a good sign. If you ever get promoted, you’ll have to make sure you have someone test the food beforehand," Samantha laughs.

"Intentional food poisoning maybe?" Ethan says, raising his eyebrow.

"Hmm… that could make you a suspect," Sam says, mimicking his raised eyebrow. They stare at each other for a moment before breaking out in laughter once again.

"She and Dawson looked pretty cozy tonight. Is there something she isn’t telling me?" Ethan asks.

"I haven’t known Dawson that long but I can already tell his relationship with Joey is truly unique, based on the things I’ve heard and the things he has shared with me because of my job in the show. You know, the one that is based in the two of them and the rest of their friends." Ethan nods. Joey has talked to him about it to the point that he has even watched a couple of episodes when he has had the time.

"How long have you known him?" he asks, trying not to sound too interested.

"We met working in his show and ‘dated’ for a while. It was just a fling that lasted a few weeks, nothing deep or committed," Samantha explains casually.

"Yeah, Joey and I have only been working together for a few months but she’s definitely one of my closet friends here. We understand each other and have something like a brother-sister relationship," Ethan says, laughing softly.

"And that’s it?" Sam asks. "There wasn’t anything outside of that?"

"Nope, she’s like my sister and I don’t have sex or date my sister," Ethan laughs. "Besides she was with Pacey the entire time I’ve known her and I could never be the ‘other man.’"

"It doesn’t matter what our relationship is with them or what their relationship is with one another because they’re both totally hopeless," Sam says, laughing slightly.

"Yeah I know, they’re friends or maybe could be more but neither one will say anything and neither one will make the first move because they’re afraid or they’re waiting for the other person to make the first move… it’s maddening!" Ethan laughs softly as Samantha nods.

"I think that’s true for that whole Capeside/Boston group though," Sam says, catching Ethan’s attention. "It’s like a part of them enjoys torturing themselves, making everything so hard and complicated instead of being up front and honest with one another. Main example would have to be Dawson and Joey. If I have to go with what we’re going to show on TV, it’s like there were all these roadblocks placed in their way, always something one right after another. On the show, Dawson will make Sammy and Colby overcome them. But in real life it’s as if they couldn’t just catch a break or be really given a chance to be together and try to be happy because something always came up and somehow pushed them apart. Sometimes I wish someone would’ve just locked them in somewhere together and said, ‘Be together, be happy. This is your shot.’ because they weren’t going to do it on their own. I mean, when do you get to that point in a relationship where enough is really enough?"

"Well, that is if you ARE in a relationship. If you are, it’s easy to know if it is working or not. You can try and try but if it’s not there, then it’s not there," he says, his mind wandering. But he quickly gets back to the present, looking Samantha in the eye.

"The problem is when you haven’t had the chance to give it a try, haven’t really crossed that line. I think with Dawson and Joey, their relationship causes that line to blur and stepping over it scares them to death," Ethan says.

"After watching that show, watching the younger pseudo-Dawson and pseudo-Joey characters interact, I think you’re right. The normal rules of relationships just don’t apply to them," Sam laughs.

"Do you think they’ll ever get it right?" Ethan asks, curious about her reaction.

"I don’t know but probably not without a helpful shove," Samantha says with a smile. "Now that we had a great time analyzing our friends love lives, I think I better go. It’s getting late and I don’t feel like facing my aunt if I wake her up." Ethan laughs.

"Okay, so… see you soon?" Ethan asks.

"Definitely," she says, smiling widely at him.

"Cool," he says, his smile matching with her. "Until then."

"See ya," she says, smiling at him over her shoulder as she walks up to the house. Ethan stays there until he sees her walk inside. Then he goes back to the main street to look for a cab, walking with his hands in his pockets, feeling good.

The rain has been on and off all night and seems like it’s gonna start raining again at any moment. Still, he looks up at the sky, content. ‘It’s been a great night,’ he thinks, a smile on his face.


Capeside Hospital

A knock is heard on the door of the hospital waiting room where Jack, Doug and Grams are sitting. Jack goes to answer the door. He opens it up and it’s Andie! Like a fresh breeze of air, with a big smile in her face and her blond hair floating around her, she enters the room

"Hey! What’re you doing here?" Jack asks as she throws herself into his arms. He is very excited and happy to see her and so is she, despite the circumstances.

"Well, I was so worried when we talked on the phone that I just had to come here and be with you," she says, pulling back and looking at him. "I called the hospital and told them that I had a family emergency and had to leave. I put a few things in a bag and headed over here as fast as I could."

Grams gets up and hugs her and so does Doug. Then Jack turns to her, a worried expression in his face.

"And is this… okay? I mean, is the hospital okay with this?"

"The hospital owes me some vacation anyway and I haven’t taken any in the three years I’ve been here so I thought it was about time I dedicate some time to my family," Andie explains, rubbing Jack’s back.

"That’s great," Jack says as they hug again and she holds his brother tight, knowing and feeling how much he needs her at this moment.

"How long do you plan on staying with us?" Jack asks.

"For as long as I’m needed," Andie answers.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to hear you say that," Jack says, smiling and Andie smiles back at him.

"How is Amy doing?" Andie asks, turning to Grams.

"Not so good," she says, holding back the tears bravely.

"The doctors say she’s going to have to stay here for a few days while they treat her. She could have died, Andie," Jack says, getting a little teary-eyed, agony evident in his voice.

"It’s alright, Jack. She hasn’t and she won’t. And now that I’m here I can talk to the doctors and see what’s going on," Andie says, putting an arm around her brother.

"Could you? I think that would help. I’m sure you could explain things to us so much better," Jack says.

"Okay, I’ll talk to them in a minute," Andie says and then turns to Grams. "And how are you doing, Grams? Is everything okay?" she asks concerned, putting her free arm around Grams shoulders.

"I’m alright, child. No need to worry about me," Grams replies, placing her hand over Andie’s, resting on her shoulder.

"I’ll go and try to find a doctor I can talk with," she says, smiling at the three of them reassuringly before walking out the room.

Jack just looks at the place where she just disappeared at and smiles. Andie is here. Maybe she won’t be able to fix things but she can try.

At least she is there. Finally.


The episode ends with a montage of images…

(Rain, by Madonna, starts to play in the background)

Rain, feel it on my finger tips
Hear it on my window pane
Your love's coming down like
Rain, wash away my sorrow
Take away my pain
Your love's coming down like rain

In Joey’s room, Dawson is fast asleep and Joey is looking out the window. She opens it, leans on it and faces the fresh air of the night with her eyes closed. Slowly, she turns around and watches Dawson with a sweet expression on her face.

When you looked into my eyes
And you said goodbye could you see my tears
When I turned the other way
Did you hear me say
I'd wait for all the dark clouds bursting in a perfect sky
You promised me when you said goodbye
That you'd return when the storm was done
And now I'll wait for the light, I'll wait for the sun

Pacey sits on a sofa at his house, staring at the TV with a remote in his hands, not really watching what’s on. He’s actually thinking over some things he has done, things he doesn’t want to do anymore. Decisions he didn’t expect to make. Searching for forgiveness for his own sake, he knows he won’t be like that anymore.

When your lips are burning mine
And you take the time to tell me how you feel
When you listen to my words
And I know you've heard, I know it's real
Rain is what this thunder brings
For the first time I can hear my heart sing
Call me a fool but I know I'm not
I'm gonna stand out here on the mountain top
Till I feel your

At the Capeside Hospital, Andie is back in the waiting room. She is talking with Jack, Doug and Grams, the three of them listening to her closely.

Waiting is the hardest thing
(It's strange I feel like I've known you before)
I tell myself that if I believe in you
(And I want to understand you)
In the dream of you
(More and more)

Ethan and Samantha are each one at their own rooms, lying awake in their beds, remembering different moments of the night, both with a smiles on their faces.

Rain is what the thunder brings
For the first time I can hear my heart sing
Call me a fool but I know I'm not
I'm gonna stand out here on the mountain top
Till I feel your

In slow motion, Joey walks away from the window. She pulls the covers from the bed aside and slides inside. She lies down facing Dawson. He is asleep and Joey watches him for a moment before closing her eyes slowly, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

Outside, is raining again.

Rain, I feel it, it's coming
Your love's coming down like... rain

CREDITS