Login     Help

7.07 - Lose Your Way by Renae, Jessica, Christy

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teaser: New York, coffee shop

Dawson and Joey sit outside a coffee shop, drinking coffee. They gaze fondly at each other from time to time as they listen to each other and laugh together, reminiscing on their memories of their childhood.

"Weren’t our high school proms the worst?" Dawson asks Joey as they start thinking about their high school years.

"Yeah, unfortunately they were the worst. I guess that’s the way it goes. Prom nights sucks," Joey says, laughing with Dawson.

"They do indeed but we made it through. We never did do well at school functions, did we?" Dawson says.

"Nope, but we did do well making up for the bad times, don’t you think?" Joey asks him thoughtfully. She has so many fond memories…

"Yes, there were several good times. Like our movie nights..." Dawson starts off.

"And our dates..." Joey adds.

"Our filmmaking..."

"Our making up..."

"But our fighting..."

"Yeah, and part of that fighting was very much my fault. I messed up a lot of things for us, didn’t I?" She asks pensive.

"It’s okay, Joey. I don’t hold anything against you." Dawson jokes, not taking very seriously her comment at first, although he realizes she is actually being serious by the look on her face. "Joey, it wasn’t only you, I take a good share of the blame. And now that you mention it, how did we manage to screw things up so many times?" He asks, half kidding half serious.

"I’m not sure but somehow we did. We just didn’t work through it." She shrugs her shoulders. "We always would end up coming back to each other, though." Joey says admitting the obvious truth. "As friends," she quickly adds as Dawson raises his eyebrows questioningly at her.

(Music for the credits starts playing)

"Yeah, we did. And we still do," Dawson softly says as Joey smiles. She’s not sure of why she needed to add that last part about friends.

"Oh my God! What time is it?" Joey suddenly asks as she checks her watch.

"It’s 3:30," Dawson replies.

"I totally lost track of time! I gotta go. We’ll talk later, I promise. You still have to tell me about those locations you just found. Bye," Joey says as she gets up, slings her purse over her shoulder, walks to the exit and goes out the door.

Dawson is left wondering where she has to rush off to since this is not the first time she has done this with him. He has the feeling that there is something happening. Something she hasn’t talked to him about and it makes him feel… uneasy. Worried.

He sighs and leaves a bill on the table before standing up and leaving.

CREDITS


Somewhere in New York…

Joey is sitting in an office facing someone. She glances around at the room at the framed beautiful framed artwork, trying to think of exactly what she wants to say. For a brief moment, she has a strong urge to paint something, anything.

Her attention continues to be focused on the walls, which are painted in a medium shade of burgundy. Her face is rather sullen as she shifts her eyes to the side and looks slightly down, deep in thought.

"Joey, you were saying," says the voice sitting across from Joey, bringing her out of her thoughts.

Her head moves from looking intensely at the artwork. "Where was I?" she says leaning forward to pick up the glass of water on the table in front of her.

"You were telling me that you’ve been cleaning," the voice says causing Joey to nod her head in agreement.

"That’s right I was cleaning. Well, it was more like deep cleaning. You know, the kind where you aren’t so much getting rid of things but trying to find something?"

The person in the chair across from Joey nods their head. "Go on."

"I was watching ‘The Creek’ awhile back and well, there was this particular scene and I was talking to Pacey about it. I told him about this book that Dawson’s mom had given me and I guess I just wanted to go find that book, for old time’s sake or something."

"So finding the book equals deep cleaning?" The person sitting across from Joey inquires.

"Well, to me it does. I don’t keep things. In other words, I’m not a pack rat. I had to dig in order to find the book but I found something else…something I wasn’t expecting."

"What did you find?"

Joey reaches it to her purse to pull out the letter that she found. "Here is what I found." She reaches across the table handing it to the person but they put a hand up.

"I think you need to hang on to that. It must be important if you saved it. Would you like to read it?"

"This letter was written by Eddie, a former boyfriend of mine, when I was in college."

She clears her throat and starts reading, her voice making emphasis on certain words:

"…Maybe people can't change. Maybe we're doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again no matter how hard we try..."

When she’s done reading, Joey folds the letter and places it back inside her purse.

"That is very interesting, Joey. My question for you would be: Do you think you are that person…the one that always is doomed to make the same mistakes?" Joey’s eyes avert away from the person across from her. "Joey?" Her eyes finally stop moving staring at the person more like staring through the person deep in thought. After a moment, she nods her head lightly, a pained expression on her face.

"I think I am," she says softly, so low her voice is almost amongst the shelves of books.


Jack’s living room in Capeside.

"Amy? Can you say Daddy?" Jack asks, looking into the deep eyes of his little girl. "Daddy, D-A-D-D-Y. Come on, baby, I know you want to say it." He’s about to give her another word when the phone rings, interrupting the moment.

"Hello?" Jack says, picking Amy up in his arms, balancing the phone on his shoulder.

"Jack!" Dawson cries in the phone, happy to hear his friend’s voice.

"Dawson! What’s up?" Jack asks, kissing Amy’s cheek and bouncing her in his arms.

"Well, I was just calling to say hi and check in on that lovely little girl of yours," Dawson says, hearing Amy’s little noises in the background.

"Well hold on a second then. Amy, it’s your boyfriend," Jack laughs, holding the phone up to his little girl’s ear.

"Hi Amy, how are you? Are you being a good girl?" Dawson almost coos into the phone, waiting anxiously to hear her gurgle or make some noise. After a few seconds of silence that seems like minutes, Jack tickles her and she giggles in the phone. "Oh, I see my charms still work on the ladies! I can’t wait to come visit you and your dad, Amy. Maybe we can go to the lake or the beach together. How does that sound?"

Amy places her little hands on the phone and begins to suck on it, giggling more when Jack tickles her.

"Okay, Amy, I think that’s enough time with your older man for now. Be careful, though. He gets around," Jack says, whispering the last sentence. This causes Dawson to cry out in protest and Amy to laugh harder.

"I do not get around," Dawson says, laughing at his comment.

"Whatever. And speaking of working the charm on the ladies, how is Joey?" Jack asks with a somehow mischievous smile.

"What do you mean? Joey and I are just friends. That’s how we decided we wanted it and that’s how it is. I’m not working any of my charms on her," Dawson says, knowing where Jack is going with this.

Jack can’t help but smile at Dawson’s vehemence. "You know what I mean Dawson, you and Joey together in the same city for once. And both of you are single. Come on, man, tell me you haven’t even thought about it… the possibilities!" Jack retorts, putting Amy down on the floor.

"You know what Jack? This reminds me of a certain conversation we had before I left for USC all those years ago," Dawson says, wondering if Jack will remember.

"Well, maybe it’s because there’s some sense to what I saying. Maybe if you would’ve listened to me the first time…" Jack says, leaving his thought unfinished.

"Look, it didn’t work then and it won’t work now, okay? So please, can we change the subject?" Dawson is silent for a second and then he sighs. "And she just broke up with Pacey, Jack. She’s vulnerable and still dealing with all the usual break up stuff."

"So you have thought about it. You wouldn’t mind getting back with her, would you? Be honest," he asks, serious.

"I AM with her Jack. Even when we were apart, I was with her. And now we’re two friends living in the same city. We hang out almost every day…"

"Oh, please, spare me. The thing is that you’re spending all this time together and you and I both know nothing between you two is ever as simple as ‘ just friends.’" Jack knows he is right. Since he met them, Dawson and Joey have never been able to remain single and platonic for too long. Unless they were on different coasts, so that doesn’t really counts. Or not speaking after their last failure at trying to get back together. He still remembers the disaster that was Joey’s 19th birthday back in college.

"Well, things are different now and that’s that. Plus, I don’t want to be the rebound guy…not that that’s an issue because we’re just friends, absolutely nothing more," Dawson states, trying to make it clear and hoping the subject changes soon.

"Yeah, okay man. Who are you trying to convince here? You or me?" Jack asks playing innocent. "I know you. I know Joey. And I know your extensive history." He waits for Dawson to say something, but he doesn’t. "This could really be it Dawson, the chance for you two to be together and not have anything standing in your way."

"Okay, for someone who knows everything about our past, you forget that there has never been a time where Joey and I had nothing standing in our way," Dawson sighs. "Heroes of bad timing, remember? That was us".

"That’s the past, my friend. As you said yourself, things are different now, Dawson. You’re a different person and so is she," Jack prods. "You’re not separated by 3,000 miles and reliant on phone calls to keep in touch. You’re in the same city for crying out loud! You can see her whenever you want. There’s nothing standing in your way but your own stubborn nature."

"And why are we talking about this, again? I just called to check on Amy," Dawson says, wishing Jack would just drop the subject. He rubs his forehead, letting Jack’s words sink in but also privately praying he will let this go. Just then someone calls him in the other line of the phone.

"Ah, look Jack I have another call. I’ll call you and Amy later. Say hi to Grams and Doug for me," Dawson says quickly, relieved the conversation isn’t going to be prolonged any longer.

"Okay, Dawson," Jack says, wondering if he should say something else. He decides to. "Look, I know I’m not being very subtle about all this but just don’t close yourself off to the possibilities. Don’t close the door on you and Joey just yet."

"Okay, Jack. Bye," Dawson says, hanging up the phone. Jack does the same but he can’t help but smile, noticing Amy looking up at him.

"Well, honey, I think we gave Uncle Dawson something think about," Jack coos, picking Amy up and kissing her head. "Just promise me you won’t make things this complicated when you’re older. I think I’ve had enough of it to fill two lifetimes".


A coffee shop in New York

In a quaint little coffee shop in New York City, Joey and Audrey are sitting at a table just talking and catching up on each other’s lives. Audrey is as loud as ever and Joey is feeling much better than before.

"Audrey, you know you want to go…there will be cute boys there," Joey says while she takes a couple of ice cubes out of her water putting them in to her hot coffee. She then looks over at Audrey, trying to coerce her into going to her party.

"Joey, I can't. I've got all these people that I've made plans with and I just can't cancel. You know I’m all happy for you that you got promoted but you work at a publishing place where they are probably all middle aged men with their belts below their waist so their cracks show," Joey almost choked hearing Audrey’s comment.

"You saw Ethan the other night, didn’t you? He works with me," Joey says, smiling.

"He’s the exception to the rule," Audrey stirs her coffee.

"Don’t you want to be there to save me from all of them? When they see you… well…," Joey knew that Audrey was like a magnet when it came to men they just seemed to flock to her.

"You’re going with Dawson. The last time that I counted that makes three and I don’t want to be a third wheel. Don’t you want to go alone with him?"

"Audrey," Joey tries to sound surprised but she was thinking that very same thing although Audrey didn’t need to know that.

After her meeting earlier, after being forced to read Eddie’s letter out loud and to think about certain things, she definitely wanted to spend some time alone with Dawson. Time alone to figure things out… whatever those things are. Although she suspects that if she looked really deep inside herself, she’d know.

All these thoughts go through her head as Audrey watches intensely. Even though it’s been years since they have really seen spent quality time together, there are certain things that just never change. People, places, circumstances do. But other things don’t. ‘The whole Dawson and Joey saga is one that never will,’ Audrey thinks to herself.

"Like you hadn’t thought about what comes at the end of the night. And with me there, that’s just not the right picture." Audrey winks at Joey.

"Audrey," she says, glaring at her.

"Don’t ‘Audrey’ me. And don’t give me that look that says that you have no clue what I am talking about," Audrey smiles widely while she shifts in her chair a bit leaning on the table slightly.

"It’s not like even like that," Joey tries to sound convincing but wonders who she is trying to convince. Herself? And… is it working?

"Are you delusional? I saw the two of you at the top of the Empire State building. The looks, the holding hands… please," she shakes her head, remembering watching the two of them out of the corner of her eye as she watched Alex and Lily.

"You saw two friends," Joey states flatly and with her stubborn voice.

"Joey, Joey, Joey. My favorite but so unaware friend," Audrey shakes her head again and sighs.

"Oh no, I’m not. I’m just… waiting," Joey’s eyes shift downward and then up again. Her mind begins to replay scenes from days gone by. Scenes of the two of them in New York: walking together, laughing together and spending time together. It feeling right. Feeling… so much more than that. But it was just… too soon.

"Waiting? Waiting for what?" Audrey inquires.

"I’m not sure. I just…" Joey starts, starting to feel kind of dizzy and exhausted, wishing Audrey would just let it go.

"You can say it. I’m here Joey. I’m here to listen…" Audrey says trying to entice Joey to admit something…anything regarding Dawson and the latest round of the ‘Will they? Won’t they?’ saga. She just can’t believe there is nothing going on between the two of them. That would be a first.

"Never mind," Joey says, sipping of her drink while Audrey looks at her suspiciously, wondering what she’s hiding.


Jack and Gram’s house in Capeside

Jack is getting ready to leave his house, going around the kitchen as Grams stands nearby, holding Amy in her arms. Jack has classes to teach at Capeside High today and he’s getting ready to leave in the next few minutes.

"What are you teaching today, Jack?" Grams asks. She loves to hear him talk about his classes, his face always lights up when he does.

"I’m teaching different elements in a short story. How each character has its complexities and the hidden meanings in literature. This will help the kids write their own short stories next week," Jack explains with a big smile in his face that is met by an equal one in Gram’s face.

"I see. Are the kids being cooperative with the reading material you have given them?" Grams asks, remembering the time Jack mentioned one of the students having a problem with reading a certain poem aloud in class. It was about a very personal topic and when the time came, he refused to read it out loud in front of his classmates.

"Yeah, there haven’t been any problems lately. I think they are getting used to the different stories I’m sharing with them," Jack answers.

"That’s good. I hope your classes continue to go well, Jack," Grams says, patting his shoulder lightly.

"Same here, Grams. This year has been going fairly well. I hope Amy gets to experience the fine education I did when I was younger… minus the bad teachers, of course," Jack says, looking fondly at Amy as she smiles at him. Amy’s smile was much like Jen´s and it was so nice to see. It reminded Jack of his best friend every time he saw it.

"Well, it seems that in the last week no one has been calling and asking questions about Amy," Grams comments to Jack.

"Yeah, it’s a good sign that things are starting to look up," Jacks says hopeful. It was true. Things had gone rather smooth in the last week and he was starting to feel confident in the future. The future of all of them as a family.

"I gotta be getting to school. You behave yourself, my little angel," Jack says tickling Amy’s feet in his way to the door of the kitchen. Amy laughs and smiles as Jack does this.

"Have a good day, Grams, and take good care of Amy," Jack says as he goes out the door.

"I certainly will, Jack. Don’t forget your umbrella. Seems like is about to rain," Grams replies, making Amy bounce in her arms lightly, the little girl giggling.

Jack does as she says, taking the umbrella that is resting near the door and leaves with a smile on his face.


Joey’s office in the publishing firm, New York

Joey is sitting at her desk, trying to look like she’s working on something important as she makes a phone call. "Hey," she says when they answer.

"Joey?" Dawson asks hesitantly.

"Did you think that someone else would be calling you like a neurotic for the second time today?" Joey says playfully, trying to still look like she’s in the middle of an important call, which she technically is.

"Well, you’re calling from work, the one number of yours I don’t have programmed into my cell phone so I didn’t recognize the number when it came up," Dawson says with a smile.

"Oh. So, you’re still coming tonight, right? You, me the promotional party for work?" Joey asked hesitantly, holding her breath, hoping the answer is still yes and nothing unexpected has come up.

"Jo, this is the second time today you’ve called to confirm that I’m going and the fourth time this week. And I’ve told each time you that I’m going. I think it’s a sure thing that I’m escorting you," Dawson says with a laugh.

"I know I’m being overly anxious here but it’s really, really important to me that you be there. Especially since we’re in the same city now and you’re only a cab ride away," Joey says, still a bit exasperated. "It would just mean the world for me to have you there and I want to make sure you didn’t forget."

"Jo, relax," Dawson says firmly. "It’s written in my palm pilot, on my calendar at work and I have your six e-mail reminders, as well."

"So you know about the dress code then?" Joey asks panicked.

"Yup. Jeans and a ripped T-shirt," Dawson says firmly, waiting for her to laugh.

"That’s not funny, Dawson," she says, exasperated.

"Oh, come on. I’m just teasing. Relax. Why are you so anxious? It’s not like I’ve never attended a cocktail party before. What do you think I do in L.A?" He asks, once again wondering what’s going on. She is being very over dramatic about all of this.

Joey sighs on the other side of the phone. "You’re right. It’s just that… never mind."

"Okay, just relax, Jo. I promise this night will be memorable." She smiles in response to the smile she can feel in his voice. "I’ll pick you up at your apartment. Make sure you’re ready on time because it’s tacky to be late to your own party," Dawson laughs.

"You’re picking me up?" Joey asks, raising her eyebrows and leaning back in her chair, the smile rapidly becoming a big grin in her face when she hears that. "Is this like a date Dawson Leery? Are you going to bring me a daisy and offering to start with something simple, like… holding my hand?" she asks, twirling the cord of the phone between her fingers, a sweet smile in her face as she remembers that moment, so many years ago.

Dawson lets out a throaty laugh at the other side of the line.

"No, it’s not a date. Because if it were a date, we would not be going to a work party," Dawson says, wondering as he says if he’s maybe gone too far. It’s just friendly, harmless flirting… but flirting just the same. ‘Damn it, Jack,’ he thinks.

"Darn. I was going to try and get all prettied up for you too," she laughs, blushing a little, her heart beating fast for some reason. She has missed this, feeling this free, this comfortable, flirting with Dawson like they used to do.

"But you just couldn’t bring yourself to leave, could you? You had to see me."

"Get over yourself. I'll have you know that I stuck a dollar in that jukebox over 3 hours ago. I was not gonna leave until I heard my song," she had said that night, the night before her 19th birthday.

And that very same night, later on, they were… well, they were…

"Well, save it for later then," Dawson says, laughing and taking Joey out of the unexpected memory.

"So how is your day going, Mr. Leery?" Joey asks, feeling a bit warm and anxious to change the subject.

"Fine, things are running pretty smoothly. I’m talking with the people I need to and moving the project forward as much as possible for right now while trying to learn a whole new city," he says, the excitement in his voice.

"Good. I’m so glad to hear that, Dawson. Not that I had any doubts that things wouldn’t be going well," Joey says slyly.

"Thanks. I think it helps having my own personal support system just a subway or cab ride away," Dawson says with a smile.

"It just might," Joey giggles, letting a pause fall over them again. "Okay, I should go and get back to work. I think they know I’m on another personal call."

"Okay, I’ll see you later. Remember to be ready on time. And grab an umbrella. It has stopped now but it’s supposed to rain later," Dawson says firmly, making sure she remembers.

"Got it. See you tonight," she says, letting another pause linger.

"Bye Jo," he says quietly.

"Bye," she whispers, placing the phone. Then she stares into space for a moment and smiles. She can’t wait for evening to come. It seems like it could be one of the most important nights in her life and she’s happy Dawson is going to share it with her.


Jack’s house in Capeside

While cooking dinner in the kitchen, Grams realizes that it has started to rain. Drying her hands, she goes to check on Amy to make sure she is warm and comfortable. And to see if she is still sleeping.

Grams whistles lightly as she walks into Amy’s room, seeing the child staring at her blankly. Gram’s face lights up at the sight of her great-granddaughter awake and she smiles and moves to Amy’s crib to tickle her cheeks. When she places her fingers on her cheeks, she feels that Amy is warm, warmer than usual. Grams’ smile fades as she places her palm on Amy’s forehead, noticing the child is burning up.

"Amy, honey, you’re burning up," Grams says, placing her other hand on the child’s forehead to make sure she’s not imagining things. Leaving her hand there for a minute, Amy very warm. Grams begins to think deeply, wondering if Amy felt warm before her nap. Unable to think of anything, she scans her room, wondering what could have caused Amy’s body temperature to be so high. Grams stops cold and gasps when she notices Amy’s bedroom window open, the curtains waving lightly in the breeze, a small chill entering the room.

Grams shuts the window and goes back to the crib, picking Amy up and holding her close. As she rushes with Amy into the bathroom, Amy begins to whimper a bit.

"It’s okay, angel, let’s see if we can find something to make you feel better," Grams says soothingly, opening up the medicine cabinet to look around. Giving the child some medicine, Grams runs a washcloth under cold water and places it gently on Amy’s forehead, singing softly to her, rocking her back and forth, hoping the fever will go down or break.

As Amy’s whimpers quiet, Grams checks her forehead again, praying that she will feel cooler, but she doesn’t. With a heavy sigh, Grams goes back to the medicine cabinet, frantically looking for something else to give Amy. Noticing a towel on the wall, Grams grabs it and wraps Amy in it tightly to try and break the fever or stop her chill. The child begins to cry again and Grams continues to wait for the medicine to start working as she sings hymns to Amy, trying to calm her down. After a half-hour, nothing is working and Grams notices that Amy feels hotter than she did before and the child is becoming more uncomfortable.

"Okay, my darling, let’s go call Daddy and see if he can make you feel better," Grams says, kissing Amy’s forehead and moving downstairs to call Jack, hoping that nothing is seriously wrong.

The West Wing saloon in the New York Plaza Hotel

When Joey and Dawson arrive at the cocktail party, they leave their coats and umbrellas with the gentleman at the door that is there to take care of them. They link arms and Dawson smiles confidently at Joey, who looks a little nervous. But her smile grows more confident after meeting his gaze. Dawson senses the increase in confidence and he thinks back to the Joey of days gone by, the girl that always thought that she would forever be stuck in Capeside. As she looks in front of her with determination, he glances at her ever so briefly to take in this moment and can’t help but be so very proud.

They round the corner together and slowly people notice that Josephine Potter is standing in the doorway and they begin to clap for her. Dawson squeezes her hand and Joey smiles at him when she realizes he has let go of her arm. She moves ever so slightly away from him as he watches her, his heart content at being able to share moment with his best friend and one of the people that mean the most to him.

"Congratulations Joey," a young woman says extending her hand to Joey in order to shake it. A waitress approaches them and offers some drinks to everybody.

"Thank you, Caroline," Joey shakes her hand looking into the woman’s eyes and holding her gaze with a smile on her face as she takes a drink from the tray.

"They made a great choice," a middle aged man says, shaking Joey’s hand as he covers it with his other hand.

"I appreciate you saying that, Stan," Joey smiles once again, looking a small distance away over Stan’s shoulder, at Dawson, whose eyes are glued on her. Smiling proudly, he lifts his champagne glass in her direction. Joey smiles and toasts back.
She continues to shake more hands and moves further into the crowd. Dawson just turns around, taking in everything. It’s the first time he has attended a social event for her job. He’s curious to see how different it might be from the events he usually attends. Not that different, he bets.

"Hey Dawson," he snaps out of his thoughts to see Ethan standing in front of him.

"Hey, there you are," he hears a voice say as someone comes up behind him.

Dawson’s eyebrows raise in surprise. "Sam? He stumbles a bit with his words. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, Dawson, Ethan invited me," Samantha smiles at Ethan and then looks at Dawson, who still looks surprised.

"Oh…that’s great," Dawson smiles and contains a chuckle. Samantha glares at him under her eyelashes before turning to Ethan smiling. Ethan smiles back and he picks up two drinks from a waitress that walks by. He hands one for Samantha and keeps the other for himself.

"Thanks," she says, smiling brightly.

"To new friends," Ethan says, raising his drink

"To new friends," Samantha and Dawson both echo.

"Speaking of that," Samantha says after sipping of her drink. "Where’d Joey go?" She stands on her tiptoes, trying to see Joey.

Ethan turns around, trying to help locate Joey. "Someone looking for me?" She surprises Dawson by sneaking up behind him, intertwining her arm with his. She leans her head on Dawson’s shoulder for a moment, looking really content, her eyes bright and a big grin in her face.

"So there you are," Ethan says, stepping forward and kissing her cheek softly. "Congratulations. You really deserve it."

"Thanks," Joey beams, excited and happy.

"I know we hardly know each other but from what I have seen and knowing how special you are to this man here, I do know that you truly deserve this. I’m happy for you, too."

The two women hug briefly before they pull back and Joey goes back to Dawson’s side, linking her arm with his once more and leaning on him. The feeling of rightness is there again. Like she… belongs.

"I don’t think that I’ve congratulated you yet," Dawson says, smiling at her.

Joey moves her head off of Dawson’s shoulder and looks directly into his eyes. The thought that rolls through his mind is that of the girl who used to be embarrassed when someone would pay her a compliment. But no more. Joey Potter has most definitely grown up.

Dawson leans in rather quickly, placing a lingering kiss on her cheek. She closes her eyes and softly sighs, enjoying the brief contact. They share a look for a moment, then she looks around.

"I’m sorry but I have more people that I need to say hello to," she explains to Samantha and Ethan, who nod their heads.

"Sure, go ahead."

Joey smiles at them and then turns back to Dawson, "Would you like to go with me?" Once again their eyes lock.

"Lead the way," he says. Joey smiles and they walk away.

Sam and Ethan both watch Joey and Dawson as they disappear into the crowd, then exchange knowing glances.

Emergency room of the Capeside Hospital

The ambulance drives up to the emergency room door of the hospital. Jack is sitting in the back holding Amy against his chest making sure that she is breathing every few seconds. A nurse opens the back door quickly and opens an umbrella. The rain is now pouring down. Jack gets out, cradling Amy. He can hear her wheeze each time she takes a breath, taking him back to Jen’s last days of life when he would listen to her breath. He closes his eyes tight and swallows before they start walking, flanked by the paramedics. As they enter the emergency room, Grams places her hand on his back and they both exchange a worried look.

Jack watches as the nurse takes Amy in to the emergency room.

"Sir?" Jack looks to his left seeing a woman walking toward them. He walks quickly over to her. "I’ll need your insurance information and all the information about your daughter." Jack stares back at her not able to think at this very moment.

"Uhmm…," Jack begins to pull out his wallet his hands shaking.

He drops the wallet on the floor then leans down to pick it up. "Here let me help you with that." Grams bends down and recovers Jack’s wallet.

Jack pulls out his insurance card. "Here," he says handing the card to the woman that is behind the glass.

"I’ll be right back," the woman walks away.

Jack covers his mouth with one hand, "What if she…," he mumbles while trying to hold back the tears that threaten to form in his eyes. He has never been as scared in his whole life. Not even when he had to face his father to tell him about his sexuality.

"Jack, if there is one thing that we know about Amy, it’s that she has a lot of Jen in her…she’s a survivor, no doubt about that." Grams slowly ushers Jack towards the seating area of the emergency room.

He puts his head in his hands, his mind consumed with the thought of not having Amy with him anymore. His head rears up.

"Did you call Doug?"

"No. not yet," Grams says just as the doctor comes out from the back area of the emergency room.

"Your daughter is pretty sick," he looks at Jack then at Grams. "We’re trying to…well, we’re working on her," the doctor says flatly then turns around and walks away back through the door.

"Oh Jack, what if…," Grams can no longer hold her tears anymore as she grabs the nearest chair for balance. Jack holds onto her as she tries to sit down.

Then he leaves her for just a moment. "Is there a phone I can use?" Jack asks the lady behind the glass. She motions for him to come around and hands him the phone.

Jack calls Doug and fills him in on what is going on. "I’ll be there in a little bit," Doug says before hanging up. Jack thanks the woman behind the counter.

Moments later, Grams and Jack are huddled together as Doug quickly walks through the emergency room doors. Grams and Jack stand as Doug makes his way over to them, enveloping them both in a hug.

The cocktail party in New York

Samantha, Ethan, Dawson and Joey are sitting at a table, chatting away and enjoying the atmosphere. Joey thinks she has already greeted everybody and their dog and is now taking some time to just enjoy the party. She has been feeling a knot in her stomach the whole night.

"So, Joey, have you always wanted to be an editor?" Samantha asks Joey.

"No, I used to like to draw when I was growing up. I would take these sketching classes and I drew some portraits for awhile. I really enjoyed it but now it’s more of a hobby than anything else. I’ve always liked to write too but in college is where it became an obsession of sorts. I was always good at editing my work so this job just felt right for me," Joey replied.

"Really? I used to sketch too back in high school. I liked it because I got to express myself through drawing. Then I got into writing stories and such so I chose to be a screenplay writer. I love novels but I just can’t see myself writing one. I prefer the screen play format. One thing I would like to do one day is the adaptation of a novel to the big screen," Samantha explains.

"Yeah, that could be interesting," Dawson says. "Although usually a book loses some of its impact when they are adapted to the big screen."

"True," Ethan intercedes, "There are so many things, so many little details in a book that you just can’t translate into a film. When I’ve read the book before seeing the movie, I am usually disappointed".

"But that’s the challenge in making a book into a film," Samantha says passionately.

"Well, I know you are very good at your job from what Dawson has told me. The show is amazing and I tell Dawson that as much as I can," Joey says, glancing at Dawson and offering her trademark smile. "So I’m sure you could pull it off."

"Aw, that’s sweet of you. Thanks," Samantha says with a sincere smile.

"No problem. So, how do you like New York City by so far?" Joey asks.

"It’s so new to me but exciting. There are so many things I want to explore. And I mean in a non-work way. I have gone here and there helping Dawson I’d like to see it all again and really have the time to explore everything," Samantha replies.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s like when you are in a business trip and there’s no time for anything else. Since I’m fairly familiar with the city, maybe we can go on New York City tours together and see the sights. What do you think?" Joey proposes, eyeing the rest of the group to see if they agree. Dawson smiles at her and nods his head.

"I think that would be great. I really have been meaning to explore this city with someone that knows all its secrets," Samantha replies.

"Yeah, I bet Joey’s tour guide skills are endless," Ethan jokes and Dawson laughs, although he stops when Joey glares at him.

"Hey, I’m a good tour guide. I know how to get around," Joey says, defending herself.

"Sure you do," Ethan keeps joking. Joey gives him a slight glare. "I’m kidding," he finally adds as Joey keeps glaring at him. Dawson decides to put a stop to it before Joey ends up ripping his head off or something.

"Samantha, she’s good at getting around, I assure you," Dawson says in Joey’s defense.

"Thank you," she replies, nodding her head at him solemnly and then the four of them burst out laughing.

"Okay, let’s exchange phone numbers so you can call me to set up a time and place," Joey says to Samantha. They exchange numbers but just then, Joey gets a pain in her stomach. It’s the same pain that she has been feeling all night but she thought it was just because she was nervous. Seems like not. As the rest of the group keeps on talking, she tries to wait and see if it goes away, but it doesn’t.

Ethan says something that makes them laugh and Dawson looks at her when she doesn’t. Immediately, he notices she has gone a little pale.

"Joey, are you feeling okay?"

Samantha and Ethan hear the question and the conversation ceases as the three look at Joey concerned.

"Not really, I’m not feeling all that well," Joey says softly to Dawson.

Dawson is immediately worried about Joey. "Is there anything I can do? Do you want to go home?"

"I’m sure it’s nothing. It’s probably just a headache, or something I ate. I’ve been feeling kind of sick all night, though," Joey says with a sigh.

"You should probably lie down," he says, placing his hand on her forehead to see if she’s warmer than normal. Doesn’t seem like it, but still, she’s way too pale. "Let’s get you home, okay?" Dawson says.

Joey nods and they rise off their seats. Ethan and Samantha do the same.

"We’re sorry," Dawson apologizes to Samantha and Ethan.

"It’s all right. No problem," Ethan says and Samantha nods in agreement.

"Are you sure you’re okay?" Samantha asks Joey, putting a hand on her arm for a moment.

Joey smiles at her, "Yeah, I’ll be fine. Thanks, though" she says, smiling weakly at the two of them as the pain increases.

"You’re welcome. I hope you feel better soon," Samantha replies. "Take care of yourself."

"I’ll make sure she does," Dawson replies as they say goodbye. On their way out, they come across Joey’s boss, Nina, who organized the event.

"I’ll go get our coats while you talk to her, all right?" Dawson asks, and Joey nods her head.

"Joey, you’re here! Enjoying your party?" She asks, in a friendly way.

"It’s a great party. Thank you so much. I’m sorry but I need to leave early. I’m not feeling well," Joey apologizes to her boss, who just like everybody else, looks concerned about her.

"I’m sorry to hear that. It’s just normal what with all the stress and all. I hope you feel better, Joey. I want to see you at work on Monday. You are an important part of the team. Now more than ever," Nina says, putting a hand on Joey’s shoulder.

"Thanks, Nina. I’ll be there, no problem. I’m sure by tomorrow I’ll be fine," Joey says.

"You’re welcome. Feel better, Joey."

After saying good bye to a couple more people, Joey meets Dawson in the hall. He has their coats ready and is waiting for her. Dawson and Joey leave the hotel. Dawson leads her out the door, his arm around her the whole time, Joey’s head on his shoulder. The doorman calls them a cab and as they walk to it, Dawson puts his coat over Joey and him, protecting them both from the pouring rain

"Renaissance Restaurant" in New Orleans

Pacey and Brecher are talking at a table in Brecher´s restaurant in New Orleans. The restaurant, as always, looks very stylish with good lighting and very fragrant with smells of hot bread, beef, and soup. The customers seem very happy while they are eating and the whole atmosphere is a good one.

"Congratulations, Pacey! You’ve done an excellent job!" Brecher exclaims as he talks with Pacey, looking around appreciatively. .

"Thanks, man," Pacey replies grinning proudly and looking around. It’s true. He has done a great job in the little time he has been there and he knows it. He thought at first that maybe he couldn’t do it but he can… and has. Very few times in his life has he felt as well as he does in this moment, surrounded by his own success.

"You’re welcome. I always knew you were made for restaurant management, kid, since the moment I saw you working in Boston. You’ve got skills. You’re going to be even more successful now. No more small town pay. You’re in the big time now," Brecher boasts to Pacey.

"I appreciate that. I can not thank you enough for this job." Pacey says, speaking the truth.

"No problem. It was my pleasure. So… how about we go celebrate? What do you say?" Brecher asks him in a low voice as he wiggles his brows. "A night out on the town. You’ll get to see crazy New Orleans at night and let me tell you: you’re gonna love it. The women are incredible out here and I think that’s what you need right now." Brecher looks at him as Pacey groans slightly.

"By the way, how is your love life these days?" Brecher asks, amused by Pacey´s response.

"Hmmm..." Pacey starts off. "It’s been a rocky road actually."

"Really? Tell me about it. What’s been going on?" Brecher asks, half smiling. Pacey is not sure if he can confide in him but who else is left?

"Well, I just broke up with my girlfriend whom I’ve been obsessing over for awhile. The breakup was mutual but it’s just not what I thought would happen when we got back together just a few months ago." He shrugs his shoulders. "And even though I know it has been for the best, it’s still… one more failure in my life, I guess," Pacey answers, definitely feeling a little uncomfortable talking about it with Brecher. With Audrey it was easy. Maybe because he didn’t need to explain too much, Audrey already knew. He guessed the only one that really didn’t know was him.

"Ah, I see. I’ve been doing pretty well with the ladies. I’ve gotten a few here and there. It’s been fun," Brecher says, talking a drink of his beer as he says this as if it was the more normal thing. And it would be if weren’t married.

"Yeah?" Pacey says, faking a smile. He sees Brecher is still the same unfaithful guy he always has been, getting involved with women even if he is married. Pacey starts to remember why he stopped liking him in the first place. Unfaithful people are not people you can trust. His face falls when he realizes something, Maddie. Maddie and him, the illicit affair. As he ponders it, Brecher keeps on going with the conversation, not noticing Pacey´s change of mood.

"Yeah, so how about we head out after we close? I’ll show you how to have a really good time in New Orleans. We can pick up some chicks," Brecher says as he laughs to himself.

"Sure, sounds like fun," Pacey says, forcing himself to put aside the painful memory of the forbidden affair. "Let me check things and once everything is ready, we can leave"

"Sure, man, go ahead," Brecher says, smiling at him as if he were his best buddy in the whole world as he finishes his beer. Pacey walks to the bar with a serious face. For some reason, Brecher thinking of them as the best of friends makes him sick.


The cocktail party at New York

Ethan and Samantha watch as Joey and Dawson leave the party. Glancing at each other, they both smile and then look down at the drinks in their hands.

"I hope she’s okay," Samantha says, looking up at him.

"I’m sure she’ll be fine. Dawson is with her." They both nod in agreement and smile at each other, not needing to state the obvious. They fall into a silence but it is not an awkward silence. It’s a comfortable one.

"I wanted to thank you for inviting me," Sam looks directly into his eyes while gently placing her hand over his.

"I should thank you for coming with me. I’ve enjoyed tonight." He watches as she smiles, lowers her head and then looks back up again.

"The east and west coasts are such different places." She glances around the room before quickly glancing at Ethan again, who is still looking at her.

"Yes, they are." They smile at each other again before Ethan continues. "I understand Dawson has his own place so where are you staying?" He looks at her waiting for her reply wondering more and more about this woman sitting next to him. He has found himself doing so more and more since Halloween night. The questions had been bothering him so much lately that he finally called the number she had given to him on the top of the Empire State Building that night.

"I’m staying with my aunt," she says rather sharply hoping to indicate to him that she doesn’t really want to talk about her aunt.

"I didn’t mean to pry." He catches her tone of voice as she answers the last question.

"Oh, you weren’t. It’s just…well…" She stops briefly, looking at him with pleading eyes.

"Complicated?" He attempts to finish her sentence and she smiles. "So, Sam, Sammy, Samantha…tell me more about yourself," he requests, already thoroughly intrigued with what her answer might be.

"Hmmm… actually I’d like to know more about you." She looks into his eyes that are clearly shining back at her. "My life is pretty boring."

"What do you want to know? I’m an open book," he smiles, all the while wondering what she is going to ask him. He’s pretty sure that her life is not as boring as she pretends it to be.

"Tell me what you want your future to be?" Not the question that he expected. What he expected was more along the lines of: ‘Do you have a lot of siblings? Where were you born?,’ things like that. He smiles and thinks ‘Wow, this woman really gets straight to the point.’

"What do I want my future to be?" He seems to think about it. "Well, I… I’d like to…"

Sam watches as he stumbles a bit on his words. "Sorry if I got too personal."

"I’d really like to write," he finally lets it out and then he looks at her almost as if he wants approval from her about what he just said.

She smiles, nodding her head, glad that he is opening up to her.

"And what makes you want to write?" She watches his eyes light up as he begins to explain to her about his life and how he always moved around as a child because his father was in the Marines.

"I’ve seen a lot of things and I think it would be interesting to write about my experiences. Hopefully other kids who are going through the same thing could relate and not feel so out of place all the time. I had a hard time traveling here and there and writing has always somehow been my therapy." Samantha looks at the man sitting next to her and he seems bigger than life to her as he tells her about different places he has been and things that he has seen. He is so intriguing and she realizes suddenly that she would like to get to know him better. "And I really would like to settle down." This last comment catches her off guard at first but she understands.

"I’m kind of the opposite," she speaks a bit softly. "I never left the neighborhood that I grew up in as a child until I was almost in my twenties. I’ve always felt the need to write but for a different reason. My reason was to let my mind travel places where I could only dream of going. I invented my own worlds where I could explore and it was wonderful because I never went anywhere. Sometimes I would grab a book and almost forget to eat. I would just read and read and read. And the more I read, the more I was able to imagine. The more I read, the more I was able to imagine until I just couldn’t keep it all inside me anymore so I started writing." Ethan could sense the tone of her voice going from sadness to total excitement.

"Totally understandable," he says.

"You know what they say - to be a writer you need to have had a disastrous childhood."

"I guess they’re right, at least when it comes to us. I mean, if everything is always perfect, what would you write about?"

"Exactly," Samantha laughs and a moment of understanding passes between them.

"How about if we share some of the stuff we’ve written down sometime? I bet that while they are different, they still have one thing in common."

"And what would that be?" Sam enquires inquisitively.

"That no matter whether they are real or make believe, they are exciting." Sam nods her head in agreement, as she moves ever so slightly leaning a bit more, listening to him as he continues to talk.