Login     Help

7.03 - Ready For A Fall by BeatrizRC, Eden, Christy, Kimberley, Renae

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Joey's apartment in New York, late at night.

"Damn it," Joey mumbles as she stands in the hallway in front of her apartment where she has just dropped her keys.

Her hands shake a little bit from too many drinks as she puts the key in the lock. She waits for a minute before turning the key, thinking about how she left things with Pacey before she went to the cocktail party.

And to add to it all, it's way beyond ten. She just couldn't make it back at the hour they agreed upon.

Opening the door, she sees nothing but darkness. She walks quietly in to the apartment, shutting the door. Idly, she wonders why Pacey didn't bother to turn on the little lamp on the table next to the door, if he wasn't going to wait up for her, as he promised.

Joey waits for a minute while her eyes adjust to the darkness, then finds her way in to the bedroom. She looks over at the bed and does not see Pacey there. She furrows her eyebrows in confusion and goes over to turn on the lamp on the nightstand. She once again looks at the bed confirming that Pacey is not there.

She sees a note on the pillow and begins to read,

Joey,

I had to go back to Capeside. Earlier tonight, I tried to tell you that I really needed you to come with me this weekend but it turned in to something else, which seems to be happening a lot lately. I was planning on going back to check on the restaurant anyway but someone called tonight and said that they had some problems that I needed to deal with right away. I had to leave earlier than I thought I would. It's nothing serious, you already know what this is all about. I'll call you in the morning. I hope you had fun at the party.

Love,
Pacey


Joey sits down on the bed, closes her eyes and rubs her temples. She can feel the headache coming. She leans her head back while taking a deep breath and then exhaling loudly. She puts Pacey´s note on her nightstand and looks over her shoulder at the other side of the bed.

She thinks how for the greatest part of her nights, his side of the bed has been empty more often than he has graced it with his presence. He has tried to come to New York as often as possible but it's just difficult for him and Joey understands.

She, in the other hand, has gone to Capeside a few weekends and they have spent time sailing and just hanging around the town. But she didn't have time to do this very often. And although now that she is older and loves Capeside with every beat of her heart, knowing that Pacey´s life is still there makes her feel kind of… trapped every time she visits. She can't help it.

Rising slowly off the bed, she stretches and then kicks one shoe off, then the other. She hears them hit the wall and bounce off of it. Walking to the bathroom, she begins to unzip her dress.

She turns on the light in the bathroom and then closes the door.


In a bar in Los Angeles

“…might as well face it you're addicted to love,” she sings to Dawson, moving her hips in front of him while acting out the song.

“Robert Palmer!” he exclaims, pointing to her, his eyes open wide as he found the answer.

“Who would have guessed that the great filmmaking genius Dawson Leery was a fan of 80's music?” laughs Samantha.

“Yeah, whatever. So, now that you dragged out of me exactly when I decided to become a film-maker, I'd like to hear your back-story,” Dawson asks her while sipping the drink in his hand. She has tried to distract him with a game of naming 80's tunes, but it's not longer working. “I think I've won the bet and you need to now disclose exactly what inspired you,” Dawson says and she sighs, sitting in her chair.

“I'm a cliché,” Samantha says self-consciously, shrugging her shoulders. “Let's see, I'll give you the highlights then,” continues Samantha, as she counts on her fingers with every fact she discloses. “As I told you the other day, my father died when I was young, my mother was always too depressed or too tired or working so she didn't really have any time for me. I had no siblings, not even a familiar of any kind that I could feel close to. I grew up feeling isolated and out of place... in fact, now that I think about it, I think I might actually BE Sammy!” she says in mock horror.

“Continue,” commands Dawson with a smile.

“I didn't even have very many friends until later so I sought refuge in my books and we were poor so I found myself dreaming of foreign countries and different cultures that I thought I would never be able to visit. Stories just started to form in my head and I eventually wrote them down,” says Samantha, more serious now. “When my mother died, I was almost eighteen and ended up really poured myself into my writing.”

She looks down at her glass, turning it in her hands repeatedly. “So here I am now with my Bachelor of Fine Arts and I'm still trying to sell my first screenplay,” she continues. “Though I do have a pretty good day job,” she jokes, looking up at him.

“It's funny that I never knew that when we were dating,” muses Dawson.

Samantha laughs, “Well six weeks of dating didn't give us a lot of time to really talk about our lives. I think I was much more interested in other things about you at the time anyway.” Samantha shoots a sly smile at Dawson.

Dawson could feel himself blush a little, remembering what their relationship had been mostly about. He had never been able to tell her, though, that part of what attracted him to her was that sometimes she reminded him of Joey. It was easy to talk and connect with her. And other times, the greatest part of the time actually, she reminded him of the way it had been with Jen, who he had missed terribly once he had been back in L.A, knowing that he wouldn't have the chance to see her anymore.

“Don't worry, Dawson. I'm no longer after your body,” Samantha says with a grin, “but for those weeks . . . “

“Enough!” exclaims Dawson, grinning despite his discomfort, making her laugh.

“You're so cute when you blush,” and she laughs some more. Dawson just shakes his head, amused.

“By the way, have I ever told you I'm glad that we're still friends and that we're here tonight?” says Dawson, still flustered and slightly flattered by her comments.

“Me too,” Samantha says with a smile as she takes the last sip from her drink. “We know that relationships based purely on sex don't usually go anywhere, anyway. I like that we have taken the time to know each other as friends.”

“Yeah, we did things backwards but who cares, right?” he jokes and she laughs.

“Right.”

And they just stand there, feeling comfortable with each other, truly glad that things are the way they are between them.


The Ice House, Capeside.

It is late at night and Pacey is drinking some coffee to keep himself awake after the long trip from New York while he walks through the restaurant. He walks over to the bar and opens the accounting folder that Lance, the second in command, left for him to review when he hears a knock on the front door of the restaurant.

He does not even look up from the papers he is reviewing when he hears the knock. “It's too late. We're closed. Come back tomorrow," he yells.

Apparently, the person on the other side of the door either doesn't hear or chooses to ignore him. The knocking becomes louder, causing Pacey to look at who's there, annoyed. He slowly walks over to the front door of the restaurant and stands there for a minute wondering if he should really open the door.

Finally, he does.

"So, what can I do for you?” Pacey opens the door quickly, then stands back waiting for whatever comes from this man... Maddie's husband.

"Just got back into town from seeing that girlfriend of yours, Pacey?" The man says smugly looking around the restaurant to see if anyone else is there.

"That's really none of your business, is it? I would think that you would be glad. I'm not with your wife anymore." Pacey knows this is a fact and so does the man.

The man snickers then smiles. "What brought you back in to town?” The man says, wondering what answer Pacey give, a mischievous smile playing on his face.

Pacey walks inside the restaurant, then behind the bar, ignoring the guy and not caring if he is following him inside or not.

"Since you obviously think you know what has brought me back in town, why don't you enlighten me?"

"Let's see. Since your not sleeping with my wife anymore, it could be that you're still having troubles with the restaurant or are you having trouble in paradise with that cute brunette of yours?" The man watches Pacey faces turn to anger as he walks out from behind the bar.

"You leave her out of this. She is no concern of yours. I'm here to see about my restaurant and that's all."

The man backs up placing his hands in front of himself laughing lightly

"Whatever you say."

"I think we're through here," Pacey speaks sternly while looking at Maddie's husband who is leaning on the bar, acting as if he owned the place.

“Where are your manners, Mr. Witter? Bitter much?” He lets out a throaty laugh. “I just wanted to find out how things are going around here. What are you gonna do about it? Are you gonna call your big brother?”

Pacey looks at him, hatred evident in his eyes. Whatever right he had to be mad about him and his wife, he is going way too far. Seems to him like the guy was just looking for an excuse to cause trouble and Pacey gave it to him. As simple as that.

“Did I do that the first time around?” Pacey asks, trying to remain calm with not much luck.

“Not that it had really mattered, anyway. It doesn't matter if he calls himself a sheriff or what, he's just a fag,” he says, putting emphasis in the last words, awaiting a reaction from Pacey.

And it takes all of Pacey´s strength not to knock him out but he knows that would only make things more complicated.

Seeing as Pacey doesn't move or say a thing for that matter, Maddie's husband laughs and begins to walk towards the door.

But when he reaches it, he turns around to make one last comment.

"So, come on, you didn't tell me. How's business, Pacey?" Before Pacey can speak, the man opens the door and walks out, still laughing.

Pacey closes his eyes tight and realizes without knowing, he has been digging his nails in the palms of his hands.


Los Angeles / Capeside

Dawson arrives at his house after his time with Samantha. He puts his briefcase on the table in the hall and walks out into his living room, settling himself onto the couch to get comfortable.

He picks up the phone and calls his home in Capeside with a smile in his face. In Capeside, the phone starts to ring.

"Hello?" Gale answers after the third ring.

"Hey, Mom," Dawson says.

"Hey honey, how are you? Did something happen?" Gale asks, concerned about Dawson as usual.

"I'm doing good, Mom. Sorry about the hour.”

“Oh don't worry, Dawson. I just thought something bad had happened but I'm always happy to hear from you.”

Dawson smiles even wider and shakes his head. Typical of his mother.

“How are you? How's Lily?"

"We're doing good but we miss you," Gale replies, relieved Dawson is doing well.

"I miss you all, too," Dawson says, feeling a little melancholy all of a sudden. And suddenly, more than eager to move to their side of the country.

"Dawson, where are you?" Lily asks, picking up the other phone in the house. "I miss you. I want to watch the movies with you."

“Hey there, little woman. Weren't you supposed to be sleeping?” Gale pretends she is scolding her, but of course, she is not. She knows Lily adores her brother and wouldn't miss a chance to talk to him no matter what.

"Aw, I miss you, too, Lily," Dawson says, smiling as he hears Lily's voice. If there is any complaint that he has about his life in L.A, it's that he's missed out on seeing Lilly grow up. "We'll watch some movies very soon, okay?"

"Okay!" Lily replies, very excited.

“But you have to promise to go straight to bed after this call. Promise?” he asks, playing the big brother role he loves so much.

“Promise,” she says, and he can easily picture her straightening her shoulders, her face solemn.

"Okay, then.” A beat “Well, so the reason why I called this late is because I can't hold it anymore. I've got some good news," Dawson starts, excited to tell them what it all is about. "I joined the Spielberg project I told you about back in May, remember? And I'll be moving to the Big Apple really soon.”

Dawson laughs when he hears a gasp on the other side.“I'll be required to stay in New York for the job but I'm going to have many chances to come and visit everyone. I'm really happy about this. I was hesitant to accept it at first but then I started thinking about it. This is like a dream come true. Working with Spielberg, the one who shaped my entire world view when I was Lily's age. You know? It just feels as if I'm coming full circle. Suddenly it feels as if I am right where I should be."

“Oh honey, that's wonderful news," Gale says, a big grin stretched in her face. "I'm so happy to hear you say that. I just want to see you happy, and you make this old woman so proud.”

“You're no old woman,” he says, and Gale laughs.

"Too bad it wasn't with Woody," Lily interjects, in the cutest voice ever.

"Woody?" Dawson asks Lily curiously.

"Yes. Woody Allen. He is my favourite director," Lily answers, informing Dawson.

Dawson laughs at Lily's remark.

"What am I going to do with the two of you?" Gale says sarcastically.

"What are you going to do, Mommy?" Lily answers Gale's question with a question.

Gale laughs and says, "I don't know but I hope we see each other soon."

"We will, Mom. I'll be visiting before you know it," Dawson says, reassuring his mom. "By the way, how is John doing? I hope I didn't wake him up" Dawson asks, still feeling a little odd to ask about John.

He doesn't know him that well and it was only a few months ago that he married his mother. He was still making himself get used to the idea that they were living now together as a family.

"Oh no, don't worry. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can wake him up once he has fallen asleep. He is doing fine, working hard and a great support for Lily and I, but you already know that, don't you?" Gale answers Dawson softly, knowing that is still a little odd for him to think of John as his stepfather. It's still a little odd even for her, at times.

"Tell him I said hi," Dawson says.

”I will, not to worry. But god, I'm still so happy for you! And you know your father would be too.”

"I know,” he says, seriously. “I'm excited to be moving," Dawson says then, a little brighter. “I've been missing so many things and so many people in the last few years. I'm glad I will be able to put a remedy to that soon,” he says.

Gale isn't sure if family is the only thing he is talking about but she doesn't say a word about it.

"What's the Big Apple?" Lily asks Dawson.

"It's a name for New York City, Lily," Dawson explains to his little sister. "It's a really, really big city with a lot of people."

"Wow, where is it?" Lily asked, wanting to know everything. She had hardly made it outside of Capeside but a couple of times and then she had been too young to remember.

"It's a few hours away from Capeside, Lily," Dawson answers, "so I'll be able to visit you, Mom, and John more often now. And you can even come to visit me sometime too. Would you like that?” he asks.

"Yay! I can't wait!" Lily cries, very anxious to see Dawson.

"Me neither," Dawson says with a big smile. "Well, it's really late so I better get going. Got some work to do and a few things to get ready before I leave L.A."

"Ok, honey, it was good talking to you," Gale says to Dawson. “Don't work too much. Go and get some sleep, okay?”

Dawson rolls his eyes, but smiles despite everything.

”I will, Mom, don't worry.”

"Bye, Dawson. See you soon," Lily says, a yawn escaping her mouth, making Dawson laugh.

“Go to sleep Lily. Good night, Mom. See you soon," Dawson says as he hangs up the phone, the smile still in his lips.

Rubbing his eyes, he stands up and walks to the dining room to start working.


Night, Jack and Gram' Place, Capeside

Grams is changing the sheets on her bed when Helen comes in. Helen is smiling happily. Grams gives her a quick glance and then goes back to her task.

“Are you sure you don't mind me staying tonight, mother?” Helen asks.

“Nonsense, Helen. I can sleep in with Amy. It's only for one night.”

Grams tugs a corner of the sheet tight and tucks it in as Helen walks towards the bed.

“I can't get over how wonderful that little girl is,” Helen's voice is soft and almost dreamy in quality. “She's so beautiful. She looks just like Jennifer did at that age.”

“There is more than just a passing resemblance, I'll admit,” Grams says.

“Amy is such a sweet little thing. I was surprised she took to me so well, considering she hardly knows me. Or should I say, she doesn't know me at all.” Sadness is evident in her voice, although she disregards it in her next comment “But right away, she let me hold her.”

Grams stops her task and looks at her daughter, “In case you forgot, Helen, Jennifer was much like that too when she was a baby. And as an adult as well. It was only her early teenage years that were a problem.”

Helen's dreamy looks turns dark and she stares at her mother. “I hope you're not suggesting that had anything to do with me, Mother?”

“No, Helen, of course not.” Grams sits on the edge of the bed, “I'm just saying that you seem to only remember the bad in Jennifer when in truth, she started out very much like Amy. A very sweet, very lovely, absolutely beautiful child. And when she grew up, she was a sweet and lovely woman.”

For a moment the women stare at one another, their eyes locked in a stern gaze. Finally, Helen turns away.

“I'm tired, can we talk about this more tomorrow?”

Grams sighs, knowing her daughter well enough to know that there is little chance of any more discussion tonight.

“Of course. The bed is ready. I'll see you tomorrow.” Grams exits the room and Helen quickly closes the door behind her, an upset look in her face. It's clear that her mother's word weren't welcome.

Grams walks down the hall to the kitchen, glancing quickly into Amy's room as she passes. The little girl is fast asleep on her back, the soft glow of the nightlight casting a shaft of light across her face Her little cupid mouth is turned up in the slightest of smiles, causing Grams to wonder what she's dreaming about. Grams blows her a little kiss then continues on her way down the hall.

In the kitchen, Jack is sitting at the dining table, papers strewn all around him.

“Is Helen settled in for the night?” he asks absentmindedly.

“Yes. And I checked on Amy, too. She's fast asleep.”

“Of course, I put her there myself,” Jack looks up at Grams and smiles. “She always does what Daddy tells her to.” He goes back to his work.

“Well, enjoy it while you can,” Grams jokes half-heartedly. She sits down opposite him. “Jack, we need to talk for a moment.”

Jack looks up once again, this time concern on his face. “What's wrong?”

Grams takes a deep breath, “I think maybe you should get in contact with those people that your lawyer recommended. I think we're all underestimating how difficult this might be.”

Jack looks at her, worried about her change of opinion. “Grams, but you said this morning…”

“Forget about what I said this morning. I just think maybe we do need to be cautious.”

Jack seems to be thinking about this, wondering what made Grams change her opinion. Something she noticed in Helen maybe?

“Okay, I'll call them in the next few days,” He says softly.

They sink into a sombre silence once again, each looking very worried.


Joey's apartment in NY and Dawson's house in L.A.

Joey comes out the bathroom combing her hair and pauses to look at the note from Pacey on her nightstand. She walks over to the phone, picks it up but then after thinking about it, places it back on the base once again.

She will wait for his call tomorrow in the morning, as he said.

(“That I would be good”, by Alanis Morrisette, starts playing in the background)

Leaving the brush on the nightstand, she walks out the room out, in to the living room then to the kitchen. The only audible noises in the apartment are Joey's slippers making a clicking noise as she walks.

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down


Opening the refrigerator, she looks around and pauses, her mind not really focusing on the rumbling in her stomach. Random thoughts cross her mind, but she is too tired to pay them attention.

That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds


Or maybe she just doesn’t want to. It’s not the time to think about how lonely the house feels, or how empty she’s feeling, or about that familiar sensation in the pit of her stomach that she thought that wouldn’t find its way back.

That I would be good fine even if I went bankrupt

But seems like it has, hasn’t it?. Actually, it’s not really a sensation, but mostly the lack of it.

That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great If I was no longer queen


Sometimes, what is lost, can’t be found again.

That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

She thinks about Pacey´s note.

That I would be loved even when I numb myself

Love is a decision, and sometimes, you’re just... wrong in the decisions you make.

That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be good even if I was clingy


Finally, she pulls out some cheese from the refrigerator and then opens the cupboard looking for some crackers.

It’s definitely too late, not a good hour to think about serious things.

That I would be good even if I lost sanity

She walks back to the living room and before situating herself on the sofa, Joey turns on some soft music. Closing her eyes, she relaxes listening to the music and eating her late snack.

That I would be good
Whether with or without you


On the other side of the country, long after talking to his mother and Lily on the phone, Dawson remains seated in the dining room The lights are dim as he clasps his hands behind his head and just stays there for a moment. He releases his hands from behind his head and slowly closes his eyes. He leans back in the chair, slumping a bit and tries to relax, all while thinking of things yet to come. He smiles, thinking of heading to New York City, closer to home, closer to… everything.

And not only does this move bring him closer to home but also brings a new adventure, a new project with all kinds of possibilities.

Dawson straightens in the chair, stretching a bit and then opens his eyes. Looking at the clock, he sees that he has been sitting in the chair for awhile and can start to feel it. Walking a bit stiffly, he ambles into the living room, eventually plopping on the couch leaning his head back against the soft cushions. He doesn't really feel like going through all the trouble to get rid of his clothes and walk to his bedroom.

Not but a few seconds after he has sat down, the phone rings causing him to reach for the cordless phone. But first, he looks at the caller ID, curious as to who would call at this hour. He sees who is it and grins before answering it.

"Twice in one day?" Dawson playfully jokes with her.

"Yeah, I know. I just couldn't help myself." Joey sits on the couch, picking at the fabric and joking back.

"Isn't it kind of late there?” Dawson looks at the clock calculating the time difference wondering what she is doing up so late.

"Yeah, just got home an hour ago or so. Felt like calling you, hope you don't mind. Or am I interrupting something?" Speaking lightly, Joey hopes that there is no tension in her voice that Dawson could pick up on.

"Joey, why would I mind? I always like talking to you even if this is the second call today,” he teases her. “And no, you're not interrupting anything. But seems someone can't live without me today." His voice holds a bit of playfulness mixed with sincerity.

"Today's just one of those days, I guess." She closes her eyes and sighs quietly.

"Everything okay, Jo?" Dawson's attention is fully focused now, wondering if something is wrong.

Joey begins to yawn, "Just wanted to hear your voice again. It always makes me feel better." He smiles at that, but soon his face turns serious again.

"Okay, Jo. If you say so," Dawson jokes, his voice soft though.

And after that they just talk and talk, relaxing on their respective sofas. She begins to talk about her day and the party she just attended. He informs her about his latest ideas for the show and how the moving to New York is going.

They both smile, feeling close despite the distance.


CREDITS