Login     Help

7.03 - Ready For A Fall by BeatrizRC, Eden, Christy, Kimberley, Renae

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teaser - Mid morning - office building in Boston

Jack enters an upscale lobby, moving through glass panelled doors labelled Bryce Johnson - Attorney at Law. He feels nervous. He's taken the day off from teaching at Capeside High School to make the trip to Boston to meet with Bryce Johnson, a lawyer that Andie told him about over the phone.

Jack moves towards the reception desk and smiles politely at the young brunette looking up at him, as she stops typing.

"Good morning, I have an appointment with Mr Johnson at 11," he announces. "I'm Jack McPhee." The attractive secretary waves him over to the plush leather couch against the far wall.

"He's just on a conference call, Mr. McPhee. He won't keep you waiting too long at all. Take a seat, and I'll call you when he's available."

Jack nervously chuckles and mutters, "Sure. No problem. I'm a little early anyway."

He walks over to the couch, and settles into it awkwardly at first, then shifts comfortably into it telling himself he needs to calm down and be optimistic.

Andie in their phone conversation assured him that Bryce Johnson was a good, kind man as well as having a reputation as being an honest but tough lawyer, specializing in family matters.

Andie had met him on one of her hospital visits when she'd had Bryce's niece as a patient. 'God, Andie could make contacts in the most unlikely situations,' Jack thought. He just hoped that this one would turn out to be as important and helpful as she assured him that he would be. Jack's thoughts were interrupted by the secretary who called across the office to him.

"He's ready for you now. Just go on through, Mr McPhee." She points to the door behind her. Jack walks through tentatively and is asked to sit down promptly by the elegant, yet warm mannered man standing to shake his hand.

"Thanks for seeing me, Mr Johnson," Jack says appreciatively. He sits down. "No problem, Mr McPhee. When Andie told me about your predicament, I was more than happy to help a friend out, considering what she'd done for my niece."

He pauses, looking through papers on his desk before him.

"Now, as I understand it, you have custody of a little girl, left to you in writing and in person by your recently deceased best friend Jennifer Lindley?"

Jack winces at the word 'deceased'. His heart, his life still felt lesser without Jen's presence. He clears his throat.

"Uh, yeah, before she, uh…” he stops, still not being able to say the word, " gave me custody of Amy."

Bryce swivelled slightly in his chair, and states more than asks Jack, "And as I can see, you're now under investigation from Social Services, perhaps from undue influence by Jennifer's mother. They are checking into your ability to be a guardian for little Amy, not to mention a single gay parent."

Jack is surprised at his newly appointed lawyer's bluntness, but appreciates and respects it all the same. Andie was right about Bryce.

Jack smiles sheepishly, and replies, "Well, that too. It shouldn't make a damn difference. They're only going to find a stable home with Jen's grandmother, as well as the fact that I have a full time job as a teacher. I earn enough money to support her and I'm going to prove them all wrong when they see how much that little girl is loved."

Bryce leans forward, sensing Jack's anxiety.

"Look, I've worked with many gay parents like yourself and they've been in the same situation. Social Services breathing down their neck because they're um… controversial. Most of the time, they ARE proved wrong, but it's tough to deal with nonetheless."

Jack smiles weakly, and acknowledges, "Well, they are doing their job, I suppose, but as I said, they're going to be proved wrong. I have nothing to hide and all the love for Amy in the world to show off, so bring it on."

Bryce claps his hands together and beams. "Well, there you go. You have the right attitude and on the legal side, I also know that you have nothing to worry about." Jack's eyes rise in query. Bryce continues. "I've seen the document Miss Lindley wrote, the one you faxed to me before our meeting, giving you guardianship of Amy in the event of her sickness, or death. Once I get corroborative statements that she was of sound mind when she wrote this, you can tell Social Services and Jens' mother in no uncertain terms that Amy is well taken care of, thank you very much."

Bryce stands up in finality this time. Jack follows suit, and reaches forward to shake Bryce's hand in appreciation.

"That will be my pleasure. Thanks a lot. You've definitely eased my mind that things will turn out all right."

Bryce steps from behind the desk, and clasps his hand on Jack's shoulder, walking him to the door.

(Music of the credits starts playing)

"Now if you see my secretary, Leah, out there, she'll give you a list of numbers for support groups of gay parents that most likely have experienced what you are going through. I'll be in touch."

Jack smiles at Leah as he approaches.

"Hi, you have some numbers for me?" he says with visible relief.

CREDITS


Joey's apartment in N.Y.

Pacey can't speak, he can't think while watching Sam and Colby roll around on Colby's bed kissing and moaning into each other's mouths. He begins to get fidgety.

"We got a bit carried away that night, Dawson and I. It was the first time... Pace, is it hot in here?" He looks at Joey and he can tell she's clearly just joking, but it still is… uncomfortable somehow.

At first, it had been cute and he had been touched by the first season but now it was grating on his nerves. Too much action for such a pure and innocent love as she claimed it had been. Not that he was surprised, after all he knew they had had sex back in college. Would he show that on TV so he would finally know what happened that night? It was something that none of them, neither Dawson nor Joey, mentioned.

Ok, enough of that.

Pacey feels the need to do something, anything, to get away from seeing what is on the television screen at the moment because for some stupid reason, it bothers him. Which is weird because he has always watched and enjoyed the show. But now, he is watching it from a different perspective. Maybe ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes.

“Jo, do you want something to drink?" Pacey waves his hand in front of Joey's eyes. She pushes his hand away slowly, slightly aggravated.

“No, thanks,” she answers distractedly, letting out a little laugh at the faces of the characters on screen when the door of the bedroom is opened by Colby's parents.

Pacey lets out a sigh, as he gets off the couch to go the kitchen. He grabs some bottled water out of the refrigerator and returns to the living room, his strategy not working. He doesn't feel much better. He stops for a moment to watch Joey, her eyes transfixed on the television screen with a smile on her face, a smile that worries Pacey more and more each week because it is something that happens every Wednesday night. For once, he would like it if he and Joey would go out to dinner or for that matter just get out of the apartment on Wednesday nights to do anything but to sit and watch 'The Creek.' But she didn't even give it a second thought when he suggested they could tape it and go out instead.

"Are you sure you don't want something to drink, Jo?" Pacey stands there once again realizing that Joey is not listening to him at all.

Pointing towards the television screen, "Oh my gosh, Pacey, I remember when this happened,” Joey laughs and covers her face embarrassed at the memory “Dawson's mom gave me this book on sex called "Reproduction and Repercussions". Can you believe I still have that book?" Joey asks cheerfully, turning and grinning at him.

"You still have that book?” Pacey´s voice cracks and his face holds a look of surprise when he looks over at Joey.

"Yup, it's somewhere in my bedroom," she says, rolling her eyes and winking at him. She doesn't realize how awkward it feels to him.

Then she realizes the bottle of water in his hand.

“Pace, I thought you were going to get something to drink? Did you get me something?"

Then her attention goes back to the screen. 'The Creek' has returned from the commercial break and once again, Pacey feels invisible. "I asked if you wanted something to drink," Pacey mumbles in soft, low voice.

"Oh sorry, I didn't hear you. Could you be a sweetheart and bring me some water?”

Joey's eyes are still glued to the television screen and for a moment Pacey just focuses his attention on the bottled water that he holds in his hand before going back to the kitchen.


Dawson's office, L.A.

The light from the office is still on. Dawson is sitting behind his table, sheets of paper with notes covered in red ink, promotional pictures of the characters of “The Creek” all over the place.

The walls are covered with various photos of his family and friends as well as some classic movie posters. His shelves are filled with various books and binders of papers. His desk is big, with plenty of papers and memorabilia on top of it.

The computer is on and he is typing something on it furiously. He stops and sighs. Leaning back in his chair, he re-reads what he has written and then looks at this watch. The janitors have come and gone already. Dawson thinks as he stares at his computer and after running his hand through his hair, he highlights some of the lines he just wrote and deletes them.

Hello writer's block. Why can't he write the last scenes or at least outline it for someone else to write?

He looks over to the pile of papers near the telephone: faxes, printed emails from his secretary. There seems to be a million messages from the network, the studio and even the actors. Dawson lets out a heavy sigh. 'This never lets up,' he thinks. And this is not really what he has always wanted, being trapped behind a desk.

His thoughts wander to the decision he made just the other day. Starting all over again, leaving L.A for a while. After being here the last three years, he feels a change is needed. New York...

Just then, the telephone rings, interrupting his reflections. “Who could possibly be calling this late at night?” he murmurs to himself.

“Why am I not surprised?” the voice in the other end of the phone says.

Dawson laughs.

“We need to talk about getting another writer for our project,” Spielberg says, going straight to the point. “And we need to do it quickly, this project is coming together and we need to keep moving.”

“I understand,” says Dawson, “in fact, I anticipated the problem and I already have someone in mind.” He says, satisfaction evident in his voice.

“Excellent, I didn't expect less. Take care of it and we'll talk more later.”

“Will do. I'll let you know as soon as I know how it turns out.”

“Good night then. Talk to you soon,” says Spielberg as he hangs up the phone.

Dawson looks at the phone receiver in his hand and shakes his head, smiling.

“Can my life get more unreal?” he asks to the empty room. Just as Dawson hangs up the phone, it rings again.

“Leery,” Dawson answers the phone, placing it in between his cheek and his shoulder and holding it there as he goes through some papers in his hands.

“Working, working, always working,” a mocking voice says into his ear.

“No need to rub it in my face, thanks” he smiles when she laughs on the other side of the country. “I'm glad you called. So did you like the episode?” Dawson asks, putting the papers down.

In New York, Joey smiles, “Well, you know, I was tempted to watch Joan of Arcadia instead, but there is this guy that plays the lead, sort of reminds me of my soul mate… so I watched your show instead,” Joey teases, making him laugh. “Although,” she continues, “did you have to make me look like such a coward, who jumps at her own shadow?”

“Oh yes,” Dawson smiles at the memory, “I wasn't sure I should have included that in the episode, but now looking back at that time with older and wiser eyes, I thought it was just funny, and… true.”

“Dawson,” says Joey concerned, “now speaking seriously, why are you still at work?”

“Don't worry. I'll be having dinner tonight with some friends.”

“Okay. Hey! Pacey´s here. Wanna talk to him?” she asks cheerful.

“Sure. Pass him the phone.” He leans in his seat and takes the papers again, looking through them distractedly.

“Nice episode,” Pacey says, kind of ironically. Dawson laughs.

“I swear, it was one of the most embarrassing moments ever.”

“I can imagine. So... seems like you're moving back to the East coast,” Pacey comments casually.

“Can you believe it? After so long. But it will be New York this time, not Boston.”

“Joey said something about you needing a place, right?”

“Yeah, she told me she would take care of it. Can you believe I'm trusting her on this one? Can you please keep an eye on that for me?”

Pacey laughs.

“I will. Well, see you soon,” he says.

“Count on it. You're not gonna get out of helping me move.”

Pacey groans, and Dawson chuckles. “Wait, Joey wants to talk to you again”

Dawson hears a noise as the phone passes from one hand to the other.

“Speaking of a place for you... I think I found the right one. I will be emailing you all the details tomorrow from work so you can decide.”

“Sounds good to me,” Dawson says, smiling.

“I can't wait until you're here. This is going to be great, the… three of us,” she says after a pause where he knows she was thinking of Jen. “Just like old times. I've been missing that,” says Joey softly.

“Me too,” replies Dawson. Thinking about it, it's true. But he wonders if they will really be able to recapture what they had back when things were simple and nothing had happened between the three of them. Seems like they are on their way there but that's easy to say when they're thousands miles apart. It's everyday life that tests friendships and loyalties.

“I'll let you go now.” Joey's voice brings him back to present. “Miss you. Bye,” says Joey.

“Bye,” replies Dawson. After he hangs up the phone, he looks down at the receiver and thinks about her last words. I'll let you go now. 'Isn't that what we always do,' he thinks.

Shaking his head, he picks up the papers on the desk, turns off the computer and the lights before walking out of the office.


Joey's apartment in N.Y.

Pacey leans on the frame of the doorway of Joey's walk-in closet with his arms folded across his chest, watching her pick out her clothes for the cocktail party that she is attending tonight.

"You sure you don't want to go with me tonight?" Joey does not even turn around as she reaches for her shoes on the top shelf on the closet.

"Jo, don't you remember the last time I went with you to one of these things?"

The thought of it still makes Pacey upset that things have not changed in that aspect. It's not that he doesn't feel adequate for these kind of events, the “I feel inferior” crap days had passed but he just doesn't enjoy them or feel comfortable at them. Too many snobs for his taste.

When he attended one with Joey a couple of months ago as a last and desperate try, it still didn't work. It made him remember that feeling that he had when he went with Joey to that Worthington event so many years ago.

Joey turns around to see Pacey with an apprehensive look on his face. Knowing what is going on, she rolls her eyes lightly. "Stop it, Pacey. We're older now. You have the restaurant and you've done a lot with your life. It's not like that Worthington party," Joey pauses before she slips by him rubbing his arm.

“It's not because of that,” he mumbles, watching her go. “I just don't... feel comfortable.”

“I know, I know, it's okay,” she says, waving her hand as she enters the other room.

'Okay, then,' he thinks.

“Pace, what time is it?" Joey yells from the bathroom where she is applying a light coat of lipstick and her earrings.

"7:30, why?” Pacey watches as Joey hurries out of the bathroom and puts on her shoes.

"I'm gonna be late. I'm supposed to be there by 8." Joey pauses for a minute looking around the bedroom trying to see if she has forgotten anything. She leaves the bedroom, going into the living room, Pacey following her.

Pacey comes up behind her and puts his hands around her waist while she looks through her evening bag, "Jo, let's go to Capeside this weekend. We can go sailing, just relax and..." Joey puts her hands on his and does not move for a second, leaning on him. Then she sighs and pries his hands away from her waist.

"I can't. I've got so much work to do. I'm behind." Joey sends him an apologetic look as she goes to get her coat off of the couch.

"Let me guess. You got behind when you went to see Dawson. Am I right?" Pacey knows that is why she is behind and he is not afraid to say it.

Joey watches Pacey as he goes to sit down on the couch, knowing that Pacey is right but not caring right now "I don't have time to talk about this right now. We'll do it when I get home."

Joey pauses for a moment and realizes she sounded a little rude, defensive even. She then walks around the couch to where Pacey is sitting and puts her arms around his neck.

“I'll be back around 10, ok?. Will you wait up for me?” she asks softly.

“Yes, I will,” he says, putting one hand over hers, playing with her fingers distractedly. She places a kiss in his temple and gives his hand a squeeze before releasing him.

“Okay, see you then.”

Pacey hears her walk towards the door, open it, then walk out and close the door. He sits there shaking his head realizing how different their worlds are and asking himself where all of this is going. A familiar feeling creeps up inside him, wanting to come out, trying to give him the answer.

But he disregards it with a shake of his head and just turns on the TV.


Exterior of the Sheriff's office at Capeside

It is a cloudy day in autumn, late in the evening. The leaves are starting to change colors and fall off the trees. Doug exits sheriff's building to find Jack waiting for him outside and walks up to meet him.

"Hey, what a nice surprise! I thought we would be meeting later," Doug says to Jack as he gives him a quick kiss.

“Me too, but I decided to come here and wait for you instead,” he flashes him a smile.

"How was your meeting with the lawyer this morning?" Doug asks, focusing all his attention in his answer.

"It was good. I wasn't sure what to make of the lawyer at first. He seemed kind of weird initially but as I got to talk to him more, he turned out to pretty nice. It was weird to be talking about the chances of losing Amy. This made it so real, that I could really lose her," Jack answers as they walk to Doug's car.

"So, the meeting with the lawyer was good then?" Doug asks again as they enter the car and close the doors.

"Yeah, it was good. The standby guardianship still stands and the adoption process should proceed as planned," Jack says, putting on his seatbelt.

"That's great news, Jack," Doug says reassuringly, patting Jack's leg before turning on the engine. “I know we can get custody of Amy. We just have to." Doug pulls out of the parking space and starts driving.

"Well, the lawyer gave me contact information of some gay parent associations in the area, mostly New York. He says I should contact them if I have any questions. I'm thinking I might do that," Jack says, informing Doug of his plans and turns his face to see his reaction to the news.

"I think that's a really great idea,” he says, his eyes on the road and nodding his head lightly. “We should do that as soon as possible, in my opinion, but let's talk to Grams about this first. Once we get her input, we can decide whether or not to contact them. That sound good?" Doug asks, checking with Jack.

"Yeah, sounds good," Jack says in agreement.

They smile at each other but soon after there is an unsure look on Jack's face. He'd rather not bother Grams with this news.


Interior of Samantha's Office

Dawson knocks on the door to Samantha's office.

"Come in!" Sam exclaims as Dawson opens the door and walks in.

"Hey, exactly the person I wanted to see. There's the script for your perusal," Samantha says as she hands him the script.

"Oh, thanks," Dawson replies as he takes the script from Samantha.

"No problem," Samantha says, nodding slightly and winking to him. Dawson just smiles, amused with her, as always. Such a character.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," Dawson says, taking a seat in front of her. "I've been told by Spielberg that I am going to need an assistant and I suggested you." He pauses. "I told him that you're so good with the show, that working with you would just be too easy." He gives a dimplish grin.

"Wow," Samantha says, stopping her frantic searching on the desk for something and looks at him very flattered by the thought. Her face is a mixture of emotion. She feels nervous and excited at the prospect but most of all flattered that Dawson thought of her for this project. "Thanks for thinking of me. I know I asked the other day if you could give me a hand with that but I was just kidding. Don't feel obliged to.”

Dawson looks at her seriously.

“Oh please, Sam. I'm sure you would be great working on the Spielberg project. You didn't need to recommend yourself for me to know that.” She smiles.

“I'll think about it and get back to you."

"Okay, then but I think it would be a great opportunity for you, so think about it." He hopes Samantha will join the project, he knows she could do a great job. They're a good team.

Dawson decides to change the subject not to press her. He can tell she needs to think about it.

"Anyway, new topic. Here's what I plan to do with 'The Creek' while I'm in New York.” He leans forward, his arms resting on the table “We are keeping Sammy and Colby together as a couple but, of course, there will be conflicts to make their relationship stronger. This will show the audience they can overcome obstacles and still sustain their relationship. I've got a few plots that I'll be leaving instructions for."

"Okay, that sounds great," Samantha replies, then asks, "What are some of the plots about?"

"Well, we're going to have a small conflict between Colby and Petey, where Colby will forget his birthday because he's like in nine cloud due to his new relation with Sammy. So in love with her, you know?" Dawson says as explains the future plots, handing her some notes he has brought with him. "They will resolve it later of course, showing that the Colby/Petey friendship is as important to him as his love for Sammy.

“Later on, there will be a conflict with the new guy that just arrived to town. John and Sammy will kiss but she doesn't know how to feel about it, she's not sure what she should do. I haven't decided what to do after that, due to a special request. In real life, that caused a break up, the first one, between Joey and myself. But maybe it's time to mix some fiction with reality. Maybe... maybe this time it won't happen, but I don't know yet.” He says, pensive staring in front of him, behind Samantha's shoulder. Then he comes out of his reverie and smiles at her.

"Later on, there will be some other stories involving the influences of their friends and some stuff with Colby's parents. That's just some of the stuff I have for now but if you or any of the other writers come up with some more plots, I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to go with it and you can call me about it."

"Okay, will do," Samantha says, nodding. "For starters, I'd like to talk with you about something I read for episode 205...” she says, as she goes through her notes.


Cocktail party ay New York

Standing by the cocktail table, a glass of champagne in her hand, Joey surveys the room. It looks like the same players from the publishing world that she knows already. It's always the same people, playing the same games. Some of them are nice, other ones just pretend they are. She remembers times when she wouldn't have been able to stand people like this. She remembers a time when she couldn't have pictured her at all in a situation like this one: dressed in an elegant dress, holding some champagne in her hand, talking with fellow co-workers about books, arts and eventually, even about Paris and the time she spent there.

But things have changed.

'I might as well join the fray,' Joey thinks as she proceeds to greet a fellow editor she knows from a rival publishing house.

“It's so good to see you,” exclaims the young woman to Joey. Tall, red haired, thin with sparkling green eyes, she would have feel intimidated by her in the past. But not now. Little Joey Potter from the wrong side of the creek is gone.

“Good to see you, too,” replies Joey “I haven't seen you since you departed to Phoenix in May. How was the trip?”

But before she gets an answer, they are interrupted.

“Joey, I think you should introduce me to your friend,” says a very male voice.

Joey rolls her eyes lightly and turns to the handsome man speaking to her. Standing now by her side and staring intently at the red haired woman, we see a Latin, dark haired man with dark eyes and a charming smile.

“Ethan, let me introduce you,” Joey says. “This is Rachel, from 'Utopian Books.' Rachel, this is Ethan. He just arrived at the firm two months ago from Philadelphia, where he was working in one of our sister publishing firms.”

Rachel smiles politely at Ethan as she offers him her hand to shake.

“Nice to meet you, Ethan. I definitely don't think we've met.”

“No, you haven't, which is something I truly regret,” he says charmingly, and Joey can't help but roll her eyes once again. Ethan notices and laughs softly.

“Oh, well, not big deal, trust me,” Rachel says, laughing at Ethan's words. But her attention is diverted to other place as she sees someone waving at her from the other side of the room. “Oh, sorry, I just saw someone I need to talk to.” She looks back at Ethan and smiles again. “We'll have to continue this conversation later.”

“Sure.”

And with that, she walks away.

“You're… incorrigible.” Joey can't help but laugh as Ethan checks out Rachel as she walks away.

Ethan finally turns to Joey and laughs “But I'm quite a charmer, aren't I?” Joey just rises her eyebrows skeptically and Ethan smiles at her.

She likes Ethan. He is smart, funny and even shameless sometimes, a true Casanova, but also a very good co-worker. In the two months they have known each other, after working together for the greatest part of the time, they have become good friends.

Ethan likes Joey. She is intelligent, pretty… but way too much complicated. With more layers than an onion. And sometimes maybe a little too self-involved. However, what irks him is that for someone who claims to have everything figured out in her life, she doesn't look as fulfilled as she should. And he has a suspicion or two about why.

“So where is your boyfriend tonight?” He asks while taking the last sip of his glass and looking around the room.

“Well, if you knew him, you would know he would never be caught at a function like this,” replies Joey. “He doesn't like these things.”

“He doesn't like champagne glasses or classic music,” she continues somewhat defensively. “He's definitely more of a beer and classic rock guy.”

“Understandable,” Ethan responds, noticing her tone. “Sometimes I wonder myself how I ended up here. But then I just tell myself that I love it, no matter how much I complain about it,” he says, taking another glass of champagne and toasting it with Joey's glass.

Joey nods her head in reply.

“Anyway,” says Joey brightly, “so what do you think of the party?”

Ethan looks carefully at Joey and wonders once again if things are as perfect in her world as she lets on. Before he can respond, the author whose work they are celebrating, approaches them. Joey and Ethan greet the author warmly and congratulate him on his great work.

'The evening is off to an interesting start,' thinks Ethan.


Jack's and Gram's House

Jack and Doug arrive at Jack's house. Doug parks the car and both enter the house with pensive looks on their faces. They walk into the kitchen.

Grams is there making her usual tea. She turns to face them and immediately knows something's going on by the looks on their faces.

"Hey Grams," Jack salutes her as he walks to her and gives her a kiss on the cheek. Grams rubs his arm and then he walks to sit down at the kitchen table with Doug.

"What happened with the lawyer?" Grams asks, as she pours tea for Doug and Jack into the small cups set on the table.

"It went all right," Jack answers, taking a sip of his tea. "All in all, the lawyer was really nice. The standby guardianship still stands so we will be able to proceed with the expedited adoption still. The lawyer gave me contact information for some gay associations in the area I could call, hear some stories, some hints on how best to present myself. I'm thinking of calling them." He recounts the same things he said to Doug earlier.

"I told Jack it sounds like a good idea to me. They could help us out, since they might have gone through similar experiences," Doug says, interjecting with his opinion and sipping his cup of tea.

"Right," Jack says, "but we think we could use some advice on what to do. And I mean your advice Grams. So… what do you think?" he looks at her, waiting for her answer.

"You did the right thing, Jack," Grams says after a moment. "But it might be too early to call these people just yet. Let's wait first until the waiting period is over. You can't even file for adoption yet."

“Yeah, I know, but I just feel so… vulnerable waiting here and doing nothing.”

“How long is needed for the adoption application to be presented anyway? Two more months?” Doug asks, not sure.

“Three,” Grams intercedes, putting her cup of tea on the table where she is sitting now too.

Jack and Doug look at each other in a silent consultation before Jack nods his head in agreement with Grams words, "Okay, fair enough. I'll wait till the adoption process can be done then. They can do nothing until then anyway, right?"

“Exactly dear,” Grams answers, patting his hand and handing him some cookies.

Jack can't help but smile at her and then he looks down, feeling relieved he can forget about all this for a while. But at the same time, he's still concerned. Seems like he's at a dead-end street with nowhere to turn. Or maybe he is just being paranoid.

Doug reaches over and takes his hand. Together, they sit and sip their tea in silence.

"God won't let anything bad happen. He has a plan for everyone," Grams says now, pouring herself some more tea.

"How can you still have so much faith, even after… Jen?" Jack asks her.

It's really a mystery for him. He has never been a very religious person but since Jen died, he is even less so. Grams, on the other hand, seems to have gone back to her faith, stronger than ever. He wishes he had that kind of refuge for the moments when everything seems to be going wrong.

But he doesn't.

Still, he listens to Grams speech respectfully.

"There is always a reason for everything. God has a good reason for everything he does. I have faith in God and you should start having a little faith yourself, Jackers. Jen would want you to be happy and carry on with your life. She would want you happy," Grams insists in her last words, hoping this would provide him some comfort as she can see the troubled expression in his face.

Jack nods solemnly but he continues to look down. If everything is supposed to going to be okay, why does he have this feeling inside that keeps telling him that something will go very wrong? He feels like he's on a rollercoaster. One minute he is fine, the next he is at the verge of a panic attack.

“Is Amy sleeping already?” Jack asks and when Grams nods, he stands up from his chair. “I'll go to check on her.” And with that, he exits the room.


Samantha's Office in L.A.

It is now night and it's getting quite late as Dawson and Samantha are still in Samantha's office, sitting in the same places as before. Both have notepads and pens in their hands as they map out and edit scenes.

They carry on an animated conversation as they work.

"So what do you think of the rain scene with Sammy and Colby for next week? Did you see the footage?" Samantha asks Dawson as he looks through the script, his pen poised.

"It's really good, it's exactly how it should be," Dawson says, a sweet smile curling up his lips at the memory of that moment between him and Joey, feeling a little bit nostalgic at the same time.

The mix of emotions going through his face doesn't get by Samantha.

"I also think the rain scene is really good. It's the perfect way for Sammy and Colby to reconcile," Samantha says thoughtfully.

"Good, I'm glad we agree," Dawson replies as he puts down the script. "This season seems to be turning out as a very good one, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I think it is going to be a wonderful follow up to season one. I think the show will really teach teenagers a thing or two about life," Samantha answers.

"That's something that will be shown a lot this season through all the characters. As we were talking about before, we want to touch on every aspect of a teenager's life, the good and the bad. Sex, drugs, peer pressure, drinking, smoking, parents, death, birth, work, etc. Everything that makes it difficult to be a teenager in today's society," Dawson summarizes, mentally making some notes as ideas pop into his head.

"Right, that's really important. And I really like what we're doing with Sammy and Colby this year, the transition from best friends to lovers and showing them in a relationship as open and honest as it can be for 15 years olds. Making their love overcome obstacles, showing them being in love for the first time. Showing what the meaning of soul mates is," Samantha says, showing her opinion of Sammy and Colby together.

Dawson nods and laughs “Yeah, whatever that is. I guess that even though I've tried a lot of times to describe what a soul mate is, it just can't be done. It's like trying to explain what is love, or… life and death,” he says, remembering a certain conversation that occurred on his dock some time ago.

“They have so much to learn yet though,” he says, not looking Samantha in the eye but just going back to make some more notes in his note pad.

“Well, life's a journey. You never stop learning,” she says thoughtfully, lost in her own ghosts from the past as they both fall silence.

"What time is it?" Dawson asks, suddenly, aware that they've both been sitting in her office for awhile.

Samantha looks at her watch.

"It's getting late," she admits with a slight smile.

"I guess we're both workaholics, huh?" Dawson jokes, laughing.

"I think that's the hallmark of our time. Don't you think everybody works too much, as if we all were trying to fill some void in our lives?” she asks, half serious, half joking.

“Aren't we quite the philosophers tonight?” Dawson laughs, knowing fair well what she meant and nodding his head in agreement. “Yeah, probably that is the reason. He remembers his mother's words at the wedding, telling him that in life there was much more than work. But it doesn't seem like that to him.

“So sad” Samantha sighs dramatically and then laughs. “So what do you say, lonely man, do you want to go and have a drink with a lonely woman like me?"

“Wasn't that what pushed us to get together in the first place?” He jokes.

“Yeah, but that was then. Don't get your hopes up for it to happen again,” she says, in a matter of fact voice. Dawson pretends to be offended, his hand on his heart, but then they laugh together.

"Of course, I'd love to," Dawson replies referring to her offer for a drink and Samantha smiles at him.

They both get up and get their coats.

“So… can you explain to me what the Spielberg project is about again?"

Dawson just smiles at her and they continue chatting as they walk out of Samantha's office, turning off the lights behind them.


Jack and Grams' place, evening.

Jack, Doug and Grams are sitting in the living room, talking softly about what the lawyer told Jack. Jack is still looking a little nervous about the whole situation. Grams has one hand on his knee, reassuring him.

“Jack,” Grams tells them. “That little girl is going to have the best upbringing Jen could ever have wanted for her. Because you two will make her joyously happy and keep her amazingly safe every day of her life.”

“We know,” Doug tells her, patting Jack's other knee reassuringly. “Jack just wants to have a back up plan, just in case.”

Suddenly, a knock at the door interrupts the moment. All three of them look at each other, confused. Who could it be at this time of night? Jack stands up and moves down the hallway to open the door.

It takes Jack a moment to realize who the woman standing there is but when he does his stomach falls to the floor.

Brown hair, brown eyes, stern face.

“Mrs. Lindley, what are you doing here?”

Helen Lindley gives him an attempt at a friendly look and holds out her hand. “Jack, it's nice to see you, too.” Jack shakes her hand in a distracted manner then steps aside to let her in.

“Sorry, Helen, I didn't mean it like that. We just weren't expecting you is all.” Helen steps onto the living room causing Grams and Doug to look up in great surprise.

“Helen! “ Grams stands up in shock. “What are you doing here?”

“That seems to be the $64,000 question today,” Helen laughs at her joke. “I was in Boston for a few days with some friends and I thought I would stop by on my way home to see my granddaughter. That's all, I thought you wouldn't mind.”

Jack recovers from his initial shock enough to take Helen's coat from her, “No, Helen, we don't mind. We are just a little surprised to see you, that's all.”

Slowly, Grams recovers herself and moves across the room to hug her daughter. Jack gives Helen a slight hug and a perfunctory kiss on the cheek. However, none of their greetings hold much warmth or a sense of feeling comfortable with each other's presence.

“Helen, this is my boyfriend, Doug,” Jack says.

Doug holds out a hand for Helen to shake which she does, half-heartedly before turning her back on Doug and looking around. Doug and Jack exchange a look.

“Well, where's Amy?” Helen asks.

“She's sleeping,” Jack tells her. “She should be awake in about half an hour.”

Helen's face falls and an awkward silence settles on the room.

“Why don't I make more tea?” Grams suggests, making for the kitchen as fast as her legs will carry her.

“Uh, none for me, Grams,” Doug says, giving Helen a curious glance. “I have to go home and get ready for work.”

“Doug is the town Sheriff,” Jack says with a small smile, a hint of pride in his voice.

“That's great,” Helen says with a stiff attempt at a smile. Doug pulls his coat on and walks over to Jack.

“I'll see you tonight when I'm done,” he gives Jack a sweet soft kiss and hug. “Kiss Amy goodnight for me.”

“I will,” Jack promises Doug, kissing him once again on the cheek.

Neither of the men notices the look on Helen's face: discomfort and abject disapproval.

“Dada!” a small cry from one of the bedrooms gets everyone's attention. Jack smiles and turns to Helen.

“Her Majesty is up. I'll go and get her presentable while you have tea with Grams.” Helen nods, giving away nothing in her expression.

They go their separate ways.