Login     Help

7.16 - Have a little faith in me by BeatrizRC, Christy, Karen, Janet

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Los Angeles airport.

“So still nothing?” Dawson asks, more frustrated at every passing minute.

“I’m sorry sir,” the attendant says, but his tone of voice is not one of sympathy. He is more than used to see passengers trapped in the airport, and he stopped caring long ago.

Dawson takes out his cell phone and is about to press a button when it rings.

“Dawson speaking.”

“Ok Kevin listen: look for Samantha and ask her about it. I’m trapped in this damn L.A airport and it doesn’t look like I can be of any help right now. So if you can’t find the list of people auditioning for that role in the last episode, go ask her because I am sure she keeps a copy. Just try not to lose this one as well.”

He hangs up and sighs frustrated. That Kevin is a lost cause. He is good actually, when he is able to get his head out the clouds. But sometimes he just gets on his nerves.

Shaking his head, he looks at the cell phone and then makes the call he wanted to make in the first place.

“Yeah, it’s me. How is that going?” he asks, trying to keep his anger under control. But seems like the answer he is getting is not helping at all.

“I just can’t understand how something like this can happen. Aren’t these planes supposed to be checked every now and then so whoever who needs them at any time can make use of them?” he asks, angrily and he pauses to listen to what the other person is saying.

“Well, it doesn’t seem that normal to me. Ok, whatever” he says, closing his eyes tight and running a hand through his hand frustrated. “Just keep me updated.” he says, and hangs up.

He hates acting like that, all bossy and kind of ‘I’m the famous director’ posse, but he is really upset and mad. And deep inside, no matter what Joey says, and even though he knows she is right and he had to stay, he is blaming himself for having had to do so.

Letting out a deep breath, he looks around and his gaze meets the one of an attendant flight. The woman looks to the other side but then looks back at him, picking his curiosity.

Ignoring her, he walks to the desk and once again asks to the same guy than before if there is any room in any of the planes that are heading to New York.

“Thanks Tommy, I will take care of this,” the woman that was staring at him before says, as she stands in front of Dawson all smiles. “Mr. Leery, may I help you?”

The road from Capeside to Boston.

The camera pans to a concrete car, and inside of it we see Pacey driving and Jack in the co-driver seat. Some music is playing in the radio and we can now hear what they are talking about.

“So, according to your lawyer, the fact that Helen is a direct relative of Amy makes her more suitable for adopting her?” Pacey is asking as he pays attention to the road.

“Something like that. And is understandable, but I think that the circumstances should be taken in consideration here. I mean, Helen and Jen never really developed a close mother-daughter relationship. And Jen decided that it was me who she wanted to raise her child.”

“Oh, of course that might be taken into consideration. The other day Andie and me were talking on the phone, and she told me she had sent me something by email. It was an article about adoptions and people in charge of kids. When it comes to…” Pacey´s preaching tone is interrupted when he turns around and finds Jack looking at him intensely. “What?” he asks, confused, “you’re not gonna hit on me, right?” he jokes, and Jack laughs.

“No, thanks. I was just thinking.”

“About?” Pacey asks as he takes a curve.

“My sister. The blond one living in Boston at the moment that walked out of your life long ago and is just getting back into it. Ring any bell?”

“Yeah, I think we’ve met a couple of times before,” Pacey laughs. “What’s up with her?” Pacey asks casually after a brief pause.

“I don’t know,” Jack shrugs his shoulders “that’s what I was expecting you to tell me. You two seem to be making for the lost time. I mean, you talk a lot on the phone, make plans together…”

“That’s what friends do, don’t they?” Pacey replies, taking off any importance to it.

“Pacey,” Jack warns him gently.

“There’s nothing going on between Andie and me Jack. She’s safe”

“I don’t mean it like that and you know it. It’s just that I am noticing you two growing closer and was wondering if there was something you might want to talk to me about or something.”

“No, there’s nothing to comment.”

There is a pause as he keeps on driving.

“But what if it would?” Pacey asks suddenly, throwing a glance to Jack as he asks, then his gaze returning to the road. “Would that upset you?”.

Jack seems to be pondering his question.

“You’re a good friend Pacey. You know I Iike you, I always did. But I know what you meant to Andie, what you probably still mean. First loves and all that, you know. I just care for her, that’s all.”

“She’s all grown up, and I am sure she could deal with an idiot like me trying to date her again,” Pacey laughs softly. “She’s not in need of a hero anymore. But I understand your concern,” he pauses. “Not that you have nothing to worry about though. Don’t misunderstand me. I’m really happy to have her back. I don’t think I had realized how much I had missed her vibrant presence and annoying optimism until she was back,” he laughs. “And I truly enjoy her visits, and our phone calls, and even all these chain emails she has the bad habit to send.”

He laughs some more and Jack joins him, agreeing on the emails thing. “Those Amnesty International and Save a children in Africa and all that. I swear if she could, she would go on missions to India or something like that. That’s why she’s going to be such a good doctor; she has it in her. Not only because of all that she has gone through when younger, but also because that is her nature: helping, making people happy.” “So yes, I am glad she is back. But as I said, there is nothing going on between Andie and me.”

After that, Pacey puts his entire mind in driving, but Jack keeps looking at him, not really convinced at his words.

A Street in New York.

Andie is standing in front of Audrey’s building. Asking for changing some shifts here and there she managed to have the day free and fly to NY to spend it with Audrey, who invited her long ago but she never had the chance to visit until now. She peers up and down the street and checks her watch with excess energy and anticipation, not sure that this visit had been such a good idea.

Next to her is Audrey, carrying some packages and having an argument with a guy. He is a nice looking young man with longish hair, a few years older than Audrey, dressed casually in jeans and t-shirt.

“I don’t know when the party will be over. I’m gonna be there for as long as it goes on. You can leave whenever you want. You wasn’t even invited, you were the one who insisted to come.”

Audrey is obviously not happy about that and Andie is starting to feel really uncomfortable hearing the argument.

“Well, excuse me if I wanna go and meet your friends. Being your friend with such an important director, some important people might be there and it can be good for the business.”

Then Audrey throws up her hands in exasperation and replies to him angrily. “You’re so selfish!!! That’s all that matter to you. It’s not about me or meeting my friends, but about business.”

“I’m thinking about you too. Don’t you wanna be a famous singer? So, for that you need to make some good contacts.” He looks calm, as if they weren’t arguing.

“I don’t intend to use my friends’ success to build my own.” Audrey just shakes her head in disgust and marches over to Andie as the guy mumbles ‘whatever.’

Andie has been watching this with a mix of concern and curiosity. She has spent part of the evening with them and even though the guy has been nice and kind to her there is still something off about him that she doesn’t like. Something that just won’t click.

“Are you okay?” she asks Audrey when Audrey is standing next to her, still looking huffy.

“Oh, yeah, it’s just that Richard can be… argh!!” Audrey’s tone is dismissive as she flicks her hand in his direction. “He’s just being a dickhead.”

She turns to glare at the guy who is standing at the same spot at before speaking on his cell phone. “I told him I didn’t want him coming to the party, but he insisted. I really didn’t have much of a choice.” Audrey says, annoyed.

Andie nods her head since she had also been a witness of that argument earlier in the apartment.

“Are you ok?” Andie asks a little worried.

“Yeah, I’m ok. What about you, are you OK?”

“Yeah, I am. I was just worried about…” Andie says pointing vaguely to Richard, but Audrey interrupts her.

“Good, that is what I want to hear. I hope you are fine and Joey is fine and Jack is fine and Dawson is fine because I want everyone to be fine… more than fine,” Audrey finishes, out of breath.

“O-kay” Andie says uncertainly with eyebrows raised. “Whatever you say Audrey.”

“Yes, that is right, everyone fine,” Audrey states, smoothing down her dress with her free hand and calming herself with a last angry look at the young man, who is approaching them now.

“Do you want me to carry that, babe?” he asks Audrey, although he doesn’t seem to really care that she’s the one carrying them.

Audrey gets a grim look on her face.

“No, thanks. I can take care of that myself.” she replies to him in a tone of voice that sound more like: ‘go to hell’. “I only hope there is enough room in the car for us, the presents, and you” she says pointedly.

Richard is not perturbed. “There’ll be room” he says calmly. “And if there isn’t, I’ll make room.” he says with just a bit of menace in his voice. Both Audrey and Andie look a little uncomfortable by his statement.

Just then, a car pulls up in front of them with a flourish. We see Pacey at the wheel and Jack as the passenger. They both have big grins on their faces.

“Now, don’t go causing trouble, Richard. This isn’t that kind of party.” Audrey cautions him.

They get out of the car and notice not only the girls, but Richard standing there as well.

“Since when do I cause trouble, love?” Richard answers pleasantly enough, but underneath we hear a tone of warning or trouble, ignoring the fact that Pacey and jack just arrived and dropping the argument like any other polite person would have made.

Audrey looks frustrated like she wants to say something in response, but bites her tongue and just ignores him. Andie looks even more uncomfortable than before.

“Aw, hi” Audrey greets Jack, hugging him tight. Jack holds her tight as well and kisses her cheek.

“Hey,” Pacey greets Andie and as they hug he asks on her ear “Is this the guy…?”

“Yes, he is. What a total idiot, you’ll see,” she whispers back.

“Hi there Pacey,” Audrey greets him with a smile and they hug.

“Need any help?” Pacey asks gently without anyone else hearing but her.

“Aw, but not, thanx”

Audrey breaks the hug and gives Richard a dirty look as he approaches Pacey as if nothing was happening and reaches his hand for him to shake it. Pacey hesitates but finally shakes it.

“Richard. Nice to meet you. So there’s no problem because I am joining you guys, right?” he asks, using his best charming voice.

Audrey watches him, looking a little disgusted and then turns her back on him, getting inside the car. Pacey and Jack give Andie a questioning look, not knowing what is going on. Andie just kind of shakes her head and hand a little in an ‘I’ll tell you later’ gesture, matched by the expression on her face as she sits by Audrey’s side. Pacey and Jack shrug.

“So he comin’?” Pacey nods to Richard.

“Yeah, unfortunately” Audrey says sourly from inside the car.

“Just one moment” Pacey says, pointing a finger up to the sky. Jack just looks at Richard as Pacey approaches the car “Anything I need to straighten out before we go?” Pacey asks once again, referring to Richard. “I’m serious.”

Audrey sighs. “No, it’s okay. I’m just wound up. I really need to have some fun tonight. And what a better way to start than spending time with three of my dearest friends?” she asks cheerfully, linking arms with Andie and leaning her head on her shoulder.

“Ok then,” Pacey replies, walking to the driver’s seat and gesturing to Jack that they’re leaving.

“Hey, bud, time to go,” Jack calls out to Richard, not particularly friendly since it is clear there is some tension in the air and also because Pacey told him about his conversation with Andie about the guy.

After putting all the packages and extra coats into the trunk, they all squeeze into the car. There is room but not any extra.

“Getting a bit of junk in the trunk, eh Audrey?” Richard asks in what is supposed to be a joke, but doesn’t sound much like it. “Maybe you should lay off the nachos,” he says snidely, even though Audrey’s weight is fine.

Audrey frowns. “Maybe you should stuff it Richard,” she snaps.

Pacey, sitting behind the wheel, frowns deeply. Richard’s comment and tone of voice have clearly upset him. He gives Richard a narrowed-eyed suspicious look out of the corner of his eye. Then he pulls away from the curb, still frowning, and starts the drive to Dawson’s while Audrey starts chatting happily with Andie and Jack, totally ignoring Richard.

(A montage of different images of New York fading into each other)

Dawson’s loft in New York, later that day.

The scene opens with the camera looking down on the room where people are arriving at Dawson’s loft for his birthday party. Everything is gaily decorated for the party with balloons and streamers and a big sign saying Happy Birthday. Comical posters of movie stars with presents drawn or pasted in, with silly hats on and little captions above their heads saying ‘happy birthday to the most brilliant director I ever worked with’ are taped rakishly here and there. Soft music plays in the background. A small pile of presents is on a small table in the corner.

Audrey and Todd are in the living room area with some other guests who have already arrived. Richard is there as well, but being totally ignored, just like before. Audrey is trying on a party hat with a silly expression on her face, laughing. Todd looks amused.

The camera then comes down to eye level and moves through the rooms, showing Joey greeting more guests with big smiles and hugs as they come through the front door. She looks excited and happy to see everyone.

We see Sam putting the birthday cake in the refrigerator and Ethan setting out napkins and paper cups next to a big punchbowl and appetizers and snacks on a table covered with a red tablecloth. A couple of waiters are serving some drinks. The party is obviously getting started and everyone looks happy.

Then we see that Joey is not really as happy as she appears. As the people talk and laugh around her, she grows increasingly distracted and subdued, not paying attention to the lively conversation around her. After greeting someone else and making a little conversation with a young couple, she wanders off to the corner of the room where there is a window overlooking the street below. She stands solemnly looking out into the night, waiting.

We see Pacey, Jack and Andie talking near the table with Sam and Ethan. Pacey finishes pouring himself a drink with a smile when he sees Joey standing quietly looking out the window. He puts his hand over Andie’s shoulder, and we see her nodding her head at something he says as he quietly walks up to join Joey.

“No sign of Dawson yet?” he asks gently when he reaches Joey’s side.

Joey glances at Pacey and gives a small smile before turning to look out the window again.
“No, unfortunately,” she answers.

“That’s too bad. I hope he makes it. I wouldn’t mind seeing the guy myself. It’s been almost four months.”

“I’m sure he’d like to see you too,” Joey murmurs, only half listening.

“Yeah, you’ve worked so hard on this party, it’d be a shame if he missed it. But standing here staring out the window won’t get him here any faster, Joey, if he makes it at all.” Pacey says kindly.

Joey looks at him again, paying more attention this time. “Yeah, I know,” she replies softly with a wry smile.

“Why don’t you come join the party? You’ve got a heck of a selection of hors d’oeurves and a the start of a good mix of charming guests, myself included” he says, placing his hand on his chest, gesturing to himself with a smile “and more arriving every minute. C’mon, we’ll keep you company” he encourages her, nodding his head toward the gang since Audrey and Todd had joined Andie and Jack.

Joey sighs. “I know, but I think I’d like to just stay here for a little while longer.”

“Okay, but don’t stick yourself in a corner for too long. You should enjoy this party too.”

Joey smiles at him. “Thanks, I will. I just need to be alone for a few minutes”

“Okay.” Pacey looks out the window a moment too then studies Joey’s face as she stares out the window. “Miss him, huh?”

We can see from Joey’s face that she really does. “Yup” she answers with a brief smile, resuming her vigil at the window, not really feeling like talking. Pacey notices and he leaves.

Joey just looks longingly out the window and sighs.

Still at Dawson’s loft, some moments later.

(“Stacy’s mom” by Fountain of Wayne is playing in the background)

The party is full underway. We see a large buffet set up on the kitchen/living room counter with people helping themselves. The guests are diverse and many. The camera pans around the scene.

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on

People are talking, eating and laughing and a few people are dancing to some music playing in the background. Pacey is chatting up a woman with a nose ring, purple hair and a black T-shirt that says "Roadies Must Die".

Stacy, can i come over after school? (after school)
We can hang around by the pool (hng by the pool)
Did your mom get back from her business trip? (business trip)
Is she there, or is she trying to give me the slip? (give me the slip)

Audrey is enthusiastically dancing with Todd, if you can call it that. She is bobbing to the music, and throwing her arms out to the beat, swaying and throwing her head back, obviously enjoying herself- in her own little world. Todd is barely dancing at all, mostly just flicking his hands out and shuffling his feet- in a comical counterpoint to Audrey. Mostly he is watching Audrey with amusement as she basically totally ignores him to do her own thing.

As the camera cuts to Joey, watching Audrey dance, we see a clock in the background showing the time as 10:00 pm.

You know, I'm not the little boy that I used to be
I'm all grown up now, baby can't you see

Joey’s forehead is scrunched with perplexity or concern mixed with amusement as she watches Audrey dance.

“Should I be worried?” she asks Jack, who is standing next to her. Jack’s face is amused and a little bewildered watching Audrey.

“How does she do that?” He asks with emphasis. “She has more energy… or should I say flair for life, rolled together in one body than probably half the people in this room combined. Only Andie comes close. And Audrey’s so…so…. uninhibited. I’d be jealous if I wouldn’t be totally embarrassed dancing like that.”

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want and I’ve waited for so long
Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Stacy's mom

Joey smiles. “You should try it sometime. Uninhibited-ness can be really good for the soul. Clears out the blocked Chakra or whatever new age philosophy you may be in to.” She pauses, tilting her head a moment to study Audrey. “I’d hate to think six months of rehab was ruined by this little get-together, and Dawson isn’t even here.”

Jack laughs. “No, that’s all one hundred percent Audrey, on a natural high. Keeping in mind the total destruction she can cause when wasted, she usually limits herself to one glass per event, and she’s waiting for champagne.” “To toast Dawson of course,” he adds.

Joey sighs. “If he ever gets here.”

Jack just squeezes her arm gently in reassurance.

“Well, trust Audrey to liven up the place,” Joey says with a smile.

“She may have had a drink but I’d say this is just her natural-born espirit or bon vivant. Tonight’s dance de jeur.”

Joey raises her eyebrows in amusement at Jack. “Espirit? Bon vivant? Since when did you get so cosmopolitan, or should I say Eurosexual?”

“Very funny. I did take French in high school too, you know. Besides, there are books and movies and magazines in Capeside too. It isn’t the end of the world,” he adds wryly.

Joey sighs. “I know, but compared to New York, it can seem like it. Sometimes I miss the relative peace and quiet there, the slower pace, the water flowing slowly along the river banks.” She closes her eyes a moment enjoying the memory. Then her eyes pop open and she smiles. “But I love New York too. After worrying I was going to be stuck in Capeside- no offense Jack- I am loving being here and really living my dreams.” She frowns a little. “Well, almost. I was hoping for something a little more exciting or adventurous than editing, but it’s what I do.” She shrugs her shoulders. “And I like it”. She smiles at Jack.

“The pay isn’t half bad either” Jack comments with a smile, not really jealous that she makes a lot more money than he does. That isn’t important. “And you deserve it” he adds, seeing that maybe Joey is a little embarrassed by his comment. “You worked for it,” he states.

Joey thinks about this a moment and then smiles her crooked smile. “Yeah, I did.” she agrees softly.

“And I love teaching so it’s all good.” Jack says placidly.

Joey smiles at that. Then she looks around the room a moment. “By the way, thanks for coming. I know it must be hard to leave Amy.” She pauses looking at Jack, but Jack is okay. “Most of the people here are from the Spielberg production, “ she continues, “and normally I’d be really excited to see them here, but it just isn’t the same without Dawson.” She says, a little sadly.

Just then, Audrey notices Joey watching her. “Bun-ny!” she calls out in high-voiced greeting, with a big smile, waving both hands palms out at Joey. Joey gives her an affectionate and tolerant look. “Hi Audrey!” she singsongs back smiling, with a little tilt of her head.

Todd looks over at Joey too, and abruptly stops his half-hearted attempt at dancing. He walks over to Joey. Audrey continues dancing on alone, oblivious to his departure.

“Hey, luv, no peep from Dawson yet?”

“No, not a peep,” Joey answers.

“Well, it doesn’t seem right that I make it all the way out from LA and he doesn’t, but that’s the nature of the beast. And that’s what he gets for being so successful. Always in demand… that bloke. But don’t worry, luv, I know he’d move heaven and earth to get here if he could, so he must be stuck with one of the producers since they are about the only people higher than God.” he says with a wry laugh, taking it all in stride. “Great party by the way. Nice to see a real mixed-bag of a party from the heart instead of the pre-manufactured crap we get in Hollywood.” He pulls a face. “Although the selection of birds out there in la la land is usually more to my taste.” he adds, eyeing with some leeriness the literary types from Joey’s work.

Joey just smiles. “You’d be surprised, Todd. Some of the women here would make your toes curl. Don’t let appearances fool you.”

“Still waters run deep, eh?” Todd asks, eyeing the ladies with new interest, his curiosity piqued.

“Just be gentle with them,” Joey jokes. “ and they won’t know what’s coming”

“Right-o!” Todd says with a wave as he walks over to a small group of these women.

Joey sighs. “I should mingle. I still am the hostess even if the guest of honour is a no-show,” she says low voiced to Jack.

“He’ll come if he can,” Jack comforts her softly. “And if he doesn’t make the party, he’ll still be here for cake and champagne tomorrow with you.”

“Yeah, I know, but somehow it isn’t quite the same. I miss…. I hate missing him so much.”

“Well, like Todd said, it’s the nature of the beast, and Dawson has his dream now so we can only be happy for him.”

“I know, and I am happy for him. It’s what we always wanted,” she agrees, but her tone is slightly false, her expression not as certain as her words. “Now if you excuse me,” she says as we see Pacey and Andie approaching the group and watch her leave with a frown in the eyebrows.

“Where is she going?” Pacey asks, curious.

“To mourn Dawson’s absence or something I guess,” Audrey sighs.

“Who can blame her? She spent a lot of time preparing this party, so is just normal she is disappointed,” Andie adds.

“Oh, but she shouldn’t worry. He will make it. He will find a way, anyway he can to win some more precious moments with her,” Pacey sighs exaggeratedly and the rest of the group laughs quietly.

(‘Stacy’s mom’ by Fountain of Waynes playing in the background again)

Andie and Pacey are about to say something but then they notice Audrey Liddell is smiling and they know pretty well that unexpected and always funny things happen when that crazy girl wears that mischievous smile on her face.

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on

“Where’s the joke?” Pacey asks.

“Believe me, Pace, you don’t want to know.” Audrey says with a smile on her face.

“Sure I want.”

“Yes, we want.” Jack adds, raising his eyebrows.

Andie nods indicating that she wants to know as well. . Audrey gestures as if pondering the best option.

“Ok, I warned you, Pacey. Err... It’s just that since this song has started playing I was wondering if you, Pacey Witter, the heartbreaker, ever messed up with one of your flirt’s mom. That would have been so you, you know,” she laughs.

Jack starts to laugh while Andie opens widely her eyes in her own expressive way. Pacey can’t believe she’s just questioning. Well, yes, he sure can believe it. This is Audrey Liddell.

Stacy, can I come over after school? (after school)
We can hang around by the pool (hang by the pool)
Did your mom get back from her business trip? (business trip)
Is she there, or is she trying to give me the slip? (give me the slip)

“Oh, no, no.” Pacey warns him jokingly, shaking his finger from “I’m not going to let you get started with this.” and he takes a sip of his drink, but Audrey put her arms around Pacey’s neck lovingly. We see Richard, who was talking with someone in a corner, looking at her with narrowed eyes.

“Come on, Pace. Don’t take it personally. I’m just curious. Is curiosity a bad thing? Nooo, it’s not. It’s an appreciated virtue these days, if you ask me. Makes the world go round and round and round.”

Pacey just looks at her with a ‘what are you talking about’ expression, his face then blank as he speaks. “Audrey, no.”

Audrey walks away from him pretending to be mad for the rest of the group amusement and goes towards Jack, linking arms with him.

You know, I'm not the little boy that I used to be
I'm all grown up now, baby can't you see

“OK, so refresh my mind, Jack. Who was his first?”

“Tamara, the hottest Capeside High School teacher.”

Pacey groans and glares at Jack. “Traitor.”

“Didn’t I play her wonderfully, by the way? But, oh well, that’s a total different subject, let’s not lose our focus.”

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want and I;ve waited for so long
Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Stacy's mom

Pacey covers his faces with both hands as he shakes his head. “Please, Audrey. I’m begging you.” Although he is not really upset or anything, but just… half amused, half incredulous that they are talking about this in this moment.

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on

“And later he fell for his best friend’s soulmate.”

“He robbed the girl, actually.”

“Hey!” Pacey protests, but they ignore him.

Audrey shakes her head “You’re a bad, bad boy.”

“And let’s not forget he dated his ex-girlfriend’s best friend” Jack adds, looking at Audrey herself.

“Yep, so I’m guessing this was me. I remember vaguely... And, his best performance: messing up with a married woman. Forgive us, wicked dirty minds, if we have the little suspicion a mom could be the next in line.”

Jack and Audrey look at Pacey, waiting for his reply. This is really great fun for them.

“Is this a conspiracy? I may have been a bit irresponsible, I won’t deny it, but I’ve always had principles, you know?” He says to them, but it doesn’t really sounds convincing.

Stacy, do you remember when I mowed your lawn? (mowed your lawn)
Your mom came out with just a towel on (towel on)
I could tell she liked me from the way she stared
And the way she said, "You missed a spot over there"

Andie have a half smile in her face. She’s having fun. Jack and Audrey starts to laugh and keep on teasing him.

“Oh, man. Women are evil. They just use their female attraction and erotica power in a poor, helpless, unlucky...”

“Yeah, what would you know about that?” Pacey teases Jack back, making him laugh openly.

Pacey shakes his head with resignation, but he can’t avoid smiling because he knows his loving life could make for a book and he accepts it with good nature. It’s a part of who he was and, to be honest, he’s happy his friends help him to bury this part of his past in a funny grave.

And I know that you think it's just a fantasy
But since your dad walked out, your mom could use a guy like me

Audrey seems to be about saying something else but Pacey is quicker.

“Liddell, five more words and you’ll find your head under the tap, in the best of cases.”

“Five less words and we wouldn’t have had the chance to see your male ego in action.” And she winks her eye playfully.

Pacey is about to say something but Audrey places her left hand in his neck and covers his mouth with the other hand.

“Shut up, Pacey. A woman always says the last word in an argument. Respect the rules because any other thing you say after that will be the beginning for a new argument. And we don’t want that, right?”

Pacey shakes his head with amusement, while Audrey put her arm around Jack’s shoulder when she notices Richard walking in their direction.

“Let’s dance, Jackers!”

“Right now?”

“Haven’t you heard what I’ve just said?”

“Yes, sir.”

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want, and I've waited so long
Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong,
but I'm in love with Stacy's mom

And they go to the middle of the loft where some more people is dancing as well.

Pacey starts to drink from his glass and then realizes that Andie is staring at him.

“I’ve just realized they didn’t even count me in your girlfriend’s list. Any idea of why?” she asks, amused, crossing her arms over her chest.

Pacey swallows deeply, thinking for a moment.

“That’s because you’re my only loving chapter worthy the mention,” he smiles at her sweetly and for a moment they just look at each other, still smiling.

“Well, I’m happy to hear that. I was starting to panic that I would be included in that terrible list,” Andie laughs, but his answer makes her feel good.

“No way, McPhee. You’re a lucky woman, actually. You’re seeing a man totally devoted to the delicious memory of his first, pure and sweet love.”

Andie laughs softly and shakes her head amused but touched as well at his words. Then she looks at him with bright eyes and kisses his cheek. Pacey smiles widely.

At that very same moment…

Joey is standing next to the window at Dawson’s loft, peering out into the darkness. The party is still going strong, but Dawson is still not there. Her arms are crossed and we see a cell-phone in one of her hands.

Sam and Ethan, holding hands, approach her.

“No sign of the wonder-king yet?” Ethan asks.

Joey turns to look at them.

“No, and it’s almost 11:00.” Joey replies, disappointed.

“There’s still time” Sam says encouragingly. “This is New York. This party could go on all night!” she tries to cheer Joey.

“As much as I want him to make it for the party, right now I just want him to be here. I haven’t seen him for a week and it feels like forever.” Joey states seriously.

“At least he’s only a phone-call… and plane trip…away.” Sam consoles.

“If he’d only call,” Joey says with some irritation, glaring at her cell phone as if willing it to ring. “I’ve tried calling him but I just get his voice mail message, and as much as I enjoy hearing his voice, I am more than ready for the real thing!”

“Well, you know what they say. Patience is a virtue,” Ethan quips with a smile.

Joey just looks out the window sadly. She begins to talk softly from the heart.

“I never expected to feel like this… to miss him so much. I’ve missed people before… missed men and boyfriends, missed my family… their company, their presence. But with Dawson and me…. it’s like I miss him because he is a part of me…. and I’m missing a part of myself when he’s not here. Not only do I miss him, I miss us, you know. I miss us.”

“Sounds like someone’s in love” Ethan smiles at her.

Joey laughs softly, wryly. “It’s not politically correct to say that, I know, -that he’s a part of me-, but I know it’s right. It feels completely different than any other relationship I’ve had before.” She shrugs. “It’s the real thing, I guess… and boy, do I feel it!”

“Well, that’s good if you want to be in a committed relationship… isn’t it? ” Sam asks sweetly. “Something I hope to be in myself one day” Sam adds, sneaking a little look at Ethan. Ethan catches her look and although he doesn’t say anything, his eyes smile a little secret smile at her. He knows, they both do, that there are things to come for them in the future.

Joey still looks forlornly out the window.

Sam and Ethan exchange a slightly worried glance. Sam hastily begins speaking.

“He must have been sweet as a boy,” she says, trying to change the subject.

A laugh escapes Joey. “I used to make his life miserable half the time, but he just never seemed to let anything bother him… at least until we grew up. Adolescence… and hormones… was a whole other story.”

“Well, thank God for hormones,” Ethan comments cheerfully, “or you wouldn’t be here today mooning around waiting anxiously for his return, like a sailor’s wife waiting for her man to return from the sea.” He teases lightly.

Joey gives him a dirty look, followed by an affectionate one.

Sam rolls her eyes. “Ever the romantic,” she says a bit facetiously, but she is smiling when she says it.

“Well, if his ship doesn’t get here soon, the food will be gone and the party over,” Joey declares. “I just hope he makes it home tonight, even if he misses the party,” she ads wistfully, giving another sad glance out the window. Then she does a double take, staring out the window.

Suddenly, her whole face is transformed by a smile. She lights up. “He’s here,” she exclaims excited. “He finally made it,” she adds, getting up and starting to move towards the door.
Before she can run out, Ethan catches her arm with a laugh. “Hold on there a minute Joey. This is supposed to be a surprise party, remember? Shouldn’t we be getting ready to surprise him?”

Joey looks longingly at the door, but then she realizes Ethan is right.

“I guess I can wait three more minutes for him to make it up the stairs” she gives in.

“Dawson’s here!!” Ethan calls out to the room.

We hear happy exclamations from the guests, as they turn off the music and lights and everyone faces the door. Ethan keeps a grip on a jumpy Joey.

When Dawson walks into the room a minute later, everyone enthusiastically yells “surprise!” as the lights go on. Joey tears herself out of Ethan’s grasp and runs over to Dawson to fling herself at him.

Dawson is totally surprised and speechless with the surprise. He stands there stunned, still holding his bags, with Joey wrapped around his chest. Then he glances down at her.

“Happy Birthday,” she says softly just for him to hear, and for a moment between them, there is no-one in the room but them as they are lost in each other’s gaze. Dawson smiles at her and leans down as if to kiss her but then a few of the guests rush up to them, grabbing Dawson’s bags, clapping him on the back, hugging him with cries of happy birthday. They all are people from his work and his closest friends back off waiting for a better moment to greet him, since they all seem to be quite… enthusiasts.

So in the middle of all the congratulations, we see Dawson and Joey slowly being separated by the crowd, as some guests come up to greet and talk to Dawson, while others engage Joey in a separate conversation. Soon, the crowd separates Joey and Dawson. Someone brings Dawson a plate of food before Joey even has a chance to. Everyone is smiling and having a good time.

Then, we see Dawson starting to slowly gravitate to Joey, and Joey, inch-by-inch, start gravitating toward Dawson, and without them even being aware if it, they are soon standing near each other again. They each become aware of the other standing next to them at the same time, and they exchange warm and amused looks.

A few guests are still hanging around Dawson, trying to talk business, but Samantha, seeing the looks that Joey and Dawson are giving each other and how much Joey wanted to finally meet him, starts encouraging the guests to wander off to eat or drink or dance or whatever. For a brief moment, Dawson and Joey are standing alone amongst the noise and activity, looking out into the room of happy guests.

“Hey stranger,” Dawson says softly with a little smile, without looking at her. Joey smiles.

“Hey,” she says softly, looking straight ahead as well.

“Missed you,” he says with a sidelong glance at her. Her smile widens.

“Missed you too,” she says sweetly and smiling, then looks intensely at him, who is still looking at her, his smile mirroring hers.

“All I could think about on the plane was walking into this apartment and having you be here, and how that was all I needed or ever really wanted,” he tells her with warmth in his voice. We see from Joey’s face that this moves her.

“Me too.”

“I would make love to you right now if I wasn’t in the middle of a party,” he suddenly leans in and whispers in her ear, causing her to bite her bottom lip containing a big grin.

“Do you think you would still wanting that after the party?” she asks teasing him.

“Errr…. I think I can guarantee that.”

Joey flushes under his gaze, feeling the same way.

After a moment of longing looks, Dawson smiles calmly. “Anyway, besides that, I never got a birthday kiss from you,” he only half-teases her. They haven’t kissed since he got back.

“I think that can be arranged,” Joey says with a smile in her voice, taking the plate of food from him and setting it down on the nearest table. She moves into his arms and he looks down into her face a moment, before lowering his lips to give her a sweet and deep kiss.

After the thorough kiss, Joey is laughing a little and Dawson is smiling wide.

“Well, I guess that makes up…a little… for having you be gone so long” Joey teases affectionately and the two smile at one another, still in each other’s arms. Then she snuggles a moment against his chest, happy just to be there. Her eyes closed, just as his. It had always felt this good to be his arms, where she has cried, laughed, and loved. Dawson closes his eyes and buried his nose lightly in her hair, smelling it like he has done thousands of times before.

“So how was everything there in L.A?” Joey leans away from his chest and wraps her arms around his waist, holding his hands in hers behind his back.

“Good, it all went ok. Boring, missing you” he says, leaning his forehead on hers, “but everything turned out right” he smiles at her.

Just then, Audrey bounds cheerfully over to them and grabs a hold of Dawson’s arm.

“Okay you two. Break it up. This is a party, not a honeymoon. I haven’t seen the birthday boy in weeks, and I need some one-on-one time too.” Audrey says cheerfully, starting to pull on Dawson’s arm.

“I’m borrowing your b.f.” Audrey announces to an amused Joey. “Let’s go schmooze,” she says gaily but forcefully to Dawson.

Dawson and Joey just look helplessly at each other with incredulous but amused expressions on their faces as Audrey happily drags Dawson away into the crowd.

At the same time…

Ethan and Samantha are sitting at a table. They have been watching Dawson and Joey and now that Audrey is dragging him away, they look at each other and smile, amused by the girl.

But there is also something romantic in their situation, you can feel it in the way they turned to look at each other, you can feel it floating in the air… and you can clearly see it as Ethan has his hand placed over Samantha’s on the table.

(“I feel you” by Three doors down stars playing in the background)

They gave me a life that's not so easy to live
And then they sent me on my way
I left my loving, forgot my dreams
I lost them along the way

"I’m so glad this party turned out great. Joey was so worried about everything being perfect," Samantha says.

"It’s perfect just like you," Ethan says, trying to charm her. Samantha smiles at his comment. Half amused, half actually charmed.

"You are so my Prince Charming," Samantha tells Ethan, making a joke at a previous conversation they once had.

"Yes, and you are my Cinderella, right?" Ethan laughs.

Those little things you say
When words mean so much
You never back down
And they all shy away
You always listen to me

"Of course I am." Samantha replies.

"Do you know you fascinate me more each day?" Ethan asks her as he keeps charming her.

"Oh, and the charms keep on coming. You are so sweet," Samantha tells him.

And what do I care to get me through these sleepless nights
And what do I have to hold when no one's there to hold me tight
And what do I see the only thing that gets me through this is I feel and I feel you

"I know and so are you. Not to mention beautiful and intelligent," Ethan replies as he pulls back a strand of hair that fell in her face and holds his hand there on her cheek for a moment. And for a moment they stay just like that, in silence.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like this. And it’s all because of you” he says softly, and Sam smiles, feeling her heart race.

“I’m happy to hear that. At least you felt like this once. I never did”

Ethan seems to be a little surprised by this confession, but Samantha doesn’t look away or looks embarrassed about it or anything.

“Not to scare you or anything, but I just thought you should now” she adds softly.

“Sometime soon we need to talk” Ethan says, moved by her sincerity and thinking that is time to give some of it back. “About the future… and about the past”

Sam knows what he is talking about. Her past, but also his. Despite what people might think when they meet her, her past is kinda boring and grey. But his… there are so many things unsaid. And she wants to know them, but she knows there is nothing she will be able to do about them, so for tonight at least, what she is most interested in is the future. If there is a future for the two of them or not.

"The past is the past, and I was serious when I said that you can take your time. But… what do you think your future is now?" Samantha asks him, curious to hear what he’ll say.

"Well, my future definitely has you in it. Right now, though, I think it includes some dancing," Ethan says as a slow song plays in the background.

"Oh, really?" Samantha says, interested.

"Yes, would you like to dance with me?" Ethan asks her as he stands up and extends his hand to her.

"I’d love to," she answers and takes his hand smiling.

And this ain't no bitterness
Then I'd rose just the same
Got this road short and can be long
Another endless day, another seven hundred miles that'll take me further from my home

He leads her out to a spot on the dance floor. He puts his arms around her waist and she puts her arms around his neck. He holds her close as he looks into her eyes.

"You want to know a secret?" Ethan says to her.

Those little things you say
When words mean so much
You never back down
And they all shy away
You always listen to me

"What?" Samantha replies, wondering what this secret could be.

"I think I’m falling in love with you," he tells her, honestly.

"I think I’m falling in love with you, too," she replies as they lean in and kiss each other. They continue to do so as everyone around them dances and talks.

And what do I care to get me through these sleepless nights
And what do I have to hold when no one's there to hold me tight
And what do I see the only thing that gets me through this is I feel and I feel you

Some minutes later, at Dawson and Joey’s room.

Dawson’s sets his bag down and on the floor by the door and trudges over to the bed before flopping down on it, face forward. He lets out a sigh as Joey enters the room right behind him; she followed him when she saw him going upstairs.

"Tired?" She asks him as she walks over and sits beside him on the bed.

"A little." He says, his voice muffled slightly from the comforter and she begins to gently stroke the small of his back. "It's been a long day," he says, reaching for her and gently indicating her with no words to lie besides him

"How'd you finally get here, I thought you couldn't get any flights from LA." She asks as she lays next to him, their bodies almost touching.

"Well I ended up getting a flight via Baltimore. A fine young woman helped me." Dawson adds playfully.

"Oh, a young fine woman?” she asks, slightly pulling away from him and opening her eyes and mouth wide as if she was suspicious about that. “Anything you need to explain to me Mr Leery?”

Dawson laughs as he pulls her closer again, this time making her cuddle next to him, to what Joey obliges happily.

“She recognized me and told me she loved the show. That the love story between the two main characters was so sweet and innocent but passionate at the same time and full of hope, it remind her so much to her first love. That it was clear they were made for each other and how lucky they were to have each other and to have met at such a young age,” he says looking right into her eyes, right into her.

Joey smiles as she traces the line of his jaw with her index finger.

“And she was right” she says, as she kisses him softly in the lips “Why didn't you call and tell me anyway?" She chides him gently, not really mad, giving him a little pout.

"Because I didn't know you were planning a surprise party and I wanted to surprise you and tell you we could snuggle up on the couch all night, like you wanted to."

Joey smiles at him and cups his cheek lovingly.

“Calling just wasn’t enough,” he says after a moment of looking into her face. “I didn’t even know I was going to make a plane until the last second, and just because this woman in the airport recognized me and made her particular crusade to get me a place in a plane. Then, after I landed in New York, I just kept imagining you waiting for me, and I guess you could say, I was creating…anticipation.” he says in a sexy way. He reaches out and runs his fingers through her hair gently.

Joey is melting. “Ever the director,” she teases lovingly, and then their faces grow serious and they exchange another longing look.

"Are you wishing there wasn't a party?" She asks, nervously biting her lip. “You look tired”

"No, I'll be alright in a minute." He replies, lacing his fingers with hers, facing each other. "Just need a minute or two to get myself together and have a quick shower." He replies as he gives her a quick kiss once over. "You look great you know! I never really got to say that out there because I was surprised and everything, a little dazed."

She blushes slightly, touched by his words. Touched by them even though he's said them many times before and probably will say them many times in the future. "Thanks. I was gonna say that considering the day you've had that you didn't look to bad yourself but that's such a cliché."

"We'll stick with you looking good for now," he playfully replies as they both lean their bodies closer to one another until their lips meet in a sweet and loving kiss. She brings her hand up to cup his cheek as the kiss deepens.

"I missed you." Joey tells him breathlessly as they lean their forehead against the others. "Happy birthday Dawson." She beams at him.

"Now it is." He smiles and kisses her again. What was meant to be a quick, sweet kiss, soon turns into a deep, slow, open mouth kiss, their bodies moulding against each other. Finally, they break the kiss to gasp for some air. They laugh softly as Joey stands up and Dawson does the same.

“I think I better leave you alone so you can have the quick shower you mentioned and all that,” Joey says, placing some hair behind her ear, the naughty spark from their kiss still in her eyes.

“Yeah, a cold quick shower” Dawson says in what seems to be a frustrated voice, making her laugh. “But thanks for the surprise party”

"And the surprise isn't over yet." She says before quickly kissing him and walking out the door, not without throwing a last glance to him before disappearing.

“Oh,” she adds, making Dawson turn to the door as she pokes her head in the room again, “and remember we have a date once this party is over”

A huge smile creeps on Dawson’s face. Then he takes a deep breath and leaves the air escape his lungs slowly. Man, those kisses were good. Actually, they were more than good. Having her in his arms was even better.

With a smile, he starts towards the bathroom.

Meanwhile, downstairs in the party.

“So… it kinda feels like I am out of place in there, you know? It’s as if everything around me is slowly but surely falling into place, but I don’t seem to find mine,” Pacey is saying, gesturing with his hands standing in front of Andie, who is leaning on a wall, listening.

“I love the restaurant business. I love it when someone enters the place with a somber face and then exits it with a smile because they feel good. I like to create that ambient: the soft music, the good food, a warm place where people can go and feel free from their lives, their obligations… I have so many ideas, but any of them seem to fit in a town like Capeside.”

“If so, maybe you need to find a place outside there. The world is so much bigger Pacey,” Andie says, her eyes bright. “Believe me, there is nothing better than going here and there and knowing new places. You said it yourself when talking about New Orleans. The experience itself, ignoring the whole Brecher thing, made you re-think the whole concept of what you wanted for your future. And I guess that going back to Capeside just reaffirmed that. You wanna ‘spread your wings and fly’,” Andie says, making a funny but sweet gesture pretending she is about to start flying, just to make him smile, and he does, so she smiles as well, “so just do that: fly Pacey.”

“To fly out there…” he says, as if pondering the situation when he sees Andie distracted by something going on at his back. Curious, he turns to see what is going on as well.

What he sees is Audrey arguing with that guy from before, Richard. She seems to be really upset and he is grabbing her by the wrist, they both struggling lightly.

“What the hell…?” Pacey mumbles as he starts walking toward the couple, closely followed by Andie.

“Yes, you heard me right” Audrey is hissing furiously under his breath to him, trying not to catch people’s attention, “I’m sick of you, tired of you, your empty promises, your brazenness and the way you treat me. Who do you think you are?” trying to free herself from his grip.

“Is there any problem?” Pacey asks, his eyes fixed on Richard and their expression not kind at all.

“No, no problem at all. He’s just leaving,” Audrey says, digging her nails in Richard’s hand so he finally releases her with a silent but clearly expression of pain on his face, but he keeps on going, stubborn.

“Yes, we’re just leaving” he says, avoiding Pacey´s eyes.

“No, we’re not, you are leaving. I am staying because I wanna be with my friends. I have nothing to do with you anymore. We’re over.” she adds, turning to Andie.

“Sure Audrey, as if you could leave me. We have a contract, so you can’t do that,” he says, arrogant.

Audrey raises one of her brows, defiantly. “You think?” she gets closer to him, her face only inches away from his. “Just. Watch. Me.” she says, pronouncing each word clearly with her lips and tilting her chin defiantly as she speaks.

Pacey can’t help but to show a little proud smile as she walks away, and places a hand over Richard’s arm when he makes a movement as if to follow her.

“You heard the lady,” Pacey says, menace in his voice. “Just leave, and make no noise. This is my friend’s party and I don’ t want you to give a show, you hear me?”.

“Listen dude” Richard finally faces him, a contemptuous face on, “I have no damn clue of who you are and I couldn’t care less, so just back off.”

“You’re causing trouble to a friend of mine, so I can’t do that.”

“I think you have a problem buddy. Do you think you are a knight in shinning armour or what?”

“Better that than being the lame though guy on the movie,” Andie says, speaking for the first time, clearly upset. “Because do you know what that says from you? It says that you are the one who has a problem. You, trying to intimidate people around you by imposing your will, so you can feel better with yourself and stronger than you really are. But you’re no one but an asshole with a big ego.”

“And I can tell you that that is the only thing he has big,” Audrey laughs, placing his thumb and middle finger close to each other, Pacey hardly able to contain the laughter, mostly when Richard’s face turns a deep shade of red and turns to leave. But not before throwing a menacing look to Audrey.

“Does he really have it…?” Pacey mimics her gesture and Audrey nods her head vigorously, bursting out laughing.

“Are you gonna be ok?” Andie asks, concerned despite Audrey seeming to take it just fine. “I mean, I don’t like the way he looked at you before leaving.”

Audrey dismisses the problem with a wave of her hand. “Oh, no problem. It’s just as you said: he is a boastful. I don’t know what I saw on him, I swear. It’s not like I ever was head over heels for him or anything like that. I guess I was just interested in the business part he offered me and I took the whole package” she sighs, but her melancholy disappears as she speaks again. “Oh well, I’ll think about all of this tomorrow. Tonight I just wanna have fun with you two,” she says, linking her arms with Pacey and Andie. “Thank you guys for being here.”

A little later…

Dawson, now refreshed and ready to join the party fully, enters the wide space of the loft downstairs. Soon he spots Joey talking with Jack and another guy in a far corner. As if sensing his eyes on her, Joey turns to him and smiles wide. Smiling back, Dawson walks up to them.

"Hey Dawson. Happy birthday." Jack says giving him a quick hug "Glad you made it."

"I'm glad I made it too. I had no idea of any of this, and if I hadn’t been able to come I time I don’t think I could have forgiven myself,” he laments.

“I know I wouldn’t,” Joey pouts pretending to be mad, and Dawson kisses her softly, changing her frown eyebrows by a sweet smile.

"Dawson, I'd like you to meet Paul. He's a friend of mine from the gay parental association. He’s a little late because he had to take care of his offsprings before coming."

Dawson and Paul shake hands. "Yeah, just making sure they were sleeping before leaving them with the baby sitter,” Paul laughs “Nice to meet you Dawson."

"Likewise."

“Well, well, so the honoured guest is back” Pacey says as he and Andie walk next to the group of people and places his arm around Dawson’s shoulders affectionately.

“Back and ready to party,” Dawson jokes, raising his drink.

“Oh yes, I forgot, you’re a party animal,” Pacey mocks him as Andie hugs Dawson tight, they both swinging the other and smiling, happy to see each other again.

“Never underestimate him,” Joey warns Pacey jokingly.

“Thanks honey” Dawson replies, jokingly as well.

“Oh my God, I am loving this party!” Audrey exclaims as she also nears the group, Todd in tow. “The music is good. Who chose it?” she asks.

“Samantha,” Joey replies.

“Anyone asking for me?” Sam says from behind her as she approaches the group as well, Ethan’s arms around her waist.

“Yes, me! I looooove the music!” Audrey says in true Audrey’s style “Just what I needed today.” and Andie rubs her arm knowing that she is talking about.

“And if you think this is all that is left to hear…” Ethan says, a mischievous smile on his face as he looks to Dawson out of the corner of his eye.

Dawson looks back at him, looking pleasantly suspicious and it is right then that there is a ring on the door and Joey gets all excited and nervous. Dawson notices the looks she exchanges with Ethan and Joey before she looks at him with a big grin on her face and rushes to the door before he can say anything.

“Oh, is the time already?” Sam asks, looking at her watch and then everybody around them explode in abrupt and spontaneous applauses, causing the group of friends to focus their attention to the door. Dawson, who has his back to the door, looks over his shoulder curious and his jaw drops to the floor.

There, in the middle of the little crow that fills his place, is standing the lead singer of one of his all time favorite bands: Dave Mathews. Everybody turns to him as Joey leads the guy to him, who is still amazed to have him in front of his eyes.

“Thank you so much for coming,” Joey is telling Dave as she leads him by the arm to Dawson and everybody gathers around. “So this is him, Dawson.” she laughs as Dave reaches his hand out for Dawson to shake it.

Dawson, who is finally regaining his composure, smiles at Dave and shakes his hand back.

“Nice to meet you Dawson.”

“Same here. I am… just… wow.” he laughs at his own naivety.

“Your girlfriend here can be quite convincing, not to mention that when my nephew knew about this offer she practically begged me to come and get an autograph. She loves your show. It’s not that bad.” Dave jokes.

“You watch the show?” Dawson asks, incredulously.

“Ok, no, no. No talks about the show please!” Joey jokes as she kisses Dawson.

“Well, the girl is the boss.” Dave raises his hand in defeat and Dawson laughs as he shakes the hands of the rest of the band’s members.

“Yes I guess she is,” he agrees as Joey smiles broadly at him.

“Well, let’s get this party started!” Dave says and is only then that he notices the little stage in the back of the place that had been hided behind some curtains.

“I thought all of our stuff was there to make some room,” he whispers in Joey’s ear.

“Well, you were wrong” she whispers back, leading the way and stepping on the stage where the band is already ready to go.

Everybody leaves room for Dawson to stand right in front of the stage, soon flanqued by all his closest friends: Pacey, Andie, Jack in one side. Audrey, Todd, Sam, Ethan, in the other side. With the drink on his hand and a little smile on his face, he watches amazed how Joey, that Joey that had always been scared of crowds and public, is now standing there in front of everybody, looking him right in the eye as she speaks.

“Ok, first of all, thank you everybody for coming. We almost had a grave misfortune when the guest of honor almost didn’t make it to his own party…” and everybody laughs and looks at Dawson, who raises his eyebrow and cup in a ‘yep, that was me’ funny gesture, “…but everything is ok now, and well, this is the big and final surprise I had prepared,” she smiles big as she turns to Dave Mathews. “When I was assigned to edit the biography of Dave here, I was thrilled because I actually almost knew everything about him because Dawson has always been a big fan of them. So I started the project and then I had this crazy idea to ask Dave help me with this surprise. He seemed as a nice guy the couple of times we had talked,” Dave smiles at her and nods his head in gratitude, “and to my pleasure, he agreed to be here tonight. So thank you.”

“No problem” he replies, nodding his head once more.

“So… Dawson, this is for you. Because I love you, and because… and just because.” She ends her presentation smiling at him with their secret smile and then takes the hand he is offering her to come down.

For a moment they just look at each other but then the lights go down and the music starts playing.