Login     Help

7.16 - Have a little faith in me by BeatrizRC, Christy, Karen, Janet

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
New York, Publishing Firm, early in the morning.

Joey is speaking on the phone to someone. She is clearly stressed about something and keeps pacing back and forth with the phone on her ear. She is running her hands through her hair and biting her bottom lip.

"I’m so worried about tonight. Everything has to be perfect. Nothing can screw this up," Joey says, expressing her feelings.

"I know, and everything will be. We can take care of this," Samantha tells her reassuringly.

"It has to be ready for tonight. Remember it is very important that you keep him busy with whatever pretext about the show as soon as he puts a foot here in New York. That way I can get everything ready at home," Joey says, mentally revising the whole plan for the evening: making sure the waiters are on time, the drinks are there, the stage for the band as well...

"Calm down Joey, it will be ready” Sam calming her, interrupting her racing thoughts. “We’ll take care of it. Tonight will be perfect. I’m sure he’ll love it."

"Yeah, I think so? You think so? Ok, I really need to calm down,” she says, bewildered at her own nervousness as Samantha laughs on the other line of the phone. “It’s just that I wanna impress him and show him how much I love him. It’s been years since we celebrated each other’s birthday together, you know? Years. And everything seems so brand new now and exciting, but at the same time I can remember each of the birthday parties we shared, and I want this one to be the best of them all. To show him… how much he means to me," Joey tells Samantha almost out of breath.

"I think he already knows how much he means to you,” Samantha says sweetly, making Joey smile. “Everything will be fine. Just chill out, ok?"

"Ok, I can do that. I’ll just take some deep breaths and everything will be fine," Joey says, starting to take some deep breaths. Samantha laughs a little and Joey joins her.

"I know, I look like a neurotic girl," Joey sighs, shaking her head but still smiling.

"No, you don’t. You sound just like a woman in love who wants everything to be perfect. But it won’t be the end of the world if everything isn’t perfect. It’s the thought that counts, you know," Samantha replies.

“I know it’s the thought that counts, but I already tried to give him a surprise party once, and you don’t want to hear how that one turned out,” she laughs.

“No, come on, tell me what happened,” Samantha demands as she accommodates in her seat in her office.
(Music of the credits start playing)

“Well, actually it wasn’t that fun, if you think about it. Dawson got totally drunk, and made a fool of himself in front of everybody.” Joey says, shaking her head at the memory.

“No way, Dawson making a fool of himself? That doesn’t seem very Dawson-like, you know, the whole Hollywood director, always keeping his cool and professionalism.”

“Oh yes, he has everybody fooled, doesn’t he?” Joey laughs. “That’s because you don’t know him like I do.”

“Well, on that we can agree.”

“But in the end it turned out to be a sweet night, when he told me he loved me.” Joey says with a dreamy expression on her face.

“Ok, ok, before you start melting, were all his birthdays like that?”

“No, actually, all his birthdays used to be quite perfect, because, you know, being the only child as he was, there was always the biggest cake, the best presents, the clown, you know, all that stuff.”

“Oh my! Clown and all!” Samantha laughs.

"Well, to be totally fair, he asked his mother not to bring a clown anymore when he turned 10, he considered it too embarrassing,” Joey laughs as she bites the tip of her tongue, remembering how Dawson ranted to her about it before he told Gale he was old enough not have a clown at his parties anymore.

“Cute. And now that the crisis is over, I better go. I’ve got some job to do, go figure,” Samantha jokes “And just remember that everything will be ok.”

“Right, I know that. I guess I’m just freaking out a little too much. But you’re right; everything will be fine. See you later."

Joey hangs up and smiles as she looks at a picture of herself and Dawson.

Credits

Los Angeles, the NBC Company TV

We see Dawson in a meeting room. He is sitting next to the guy presiding, a high executive head of the company.

“I’m glad to hear that everything is ok then,” the guy is commenting to him.

“Yeah, we had a little delay and we had to make some minor changes, so the last weeks have been hectic. But we’re ready to go now. The premiere will be next week during the maximum audience time slot, and we’re really expecting good results.”

“The publicity campaign has been excellent as well, let me tell you. My congratulations to everyone in charge. Not that we need much publicity with Spielberg as a catchword. And the hottest and younger Hollywood director out there with a TV show that has been vainglorious by critics” he adds as Dawson gently nods his head as thank you.

“Thank you. Let’s see if we can keep up the level and not to deceive our fans”

“Always the hardest part,” someone comments.

“Yeah, fans are important but so is the media. We already told this to Spielberg the other day when we had the chance to talk to him, but we’re going to bet strongly for this. We’re talking about Emmys and any other award that can come to your mind, which more than likely means that we might be making a direct competition to your other show,” The directive laughs

“Well, it doesn’t seem that bad to me, if I get to have two shows nominated for an Emmy, I’m not going to complain,” Dawson says coolly, smiling confidently as everybody laughs and his eyes underhandedly drifting to his watch.

“Well,” the guy presiding says, noticing Dawson’s gesture even though he tried to hide it, “that was all that was left to discuss. Thank you for coming Mr. Leery,” he says as he stands up, offering his hand to Dawson to shake. “I hope we didn’t trouble you too much for making you stay one more day.”

“Of course not, it was my pleasure” Dawson replies as he shakes hands with him and everybody else in the table, giving them nods of heads and professional smiles.
“Mrs. Harrison will walk you to the exit” Mr. Avery says as he motions to the young woman sitting in the little reception near the meeting room where they have held the meeting.

“Oh no please, no problem” Dawson says, raising his hand and gently refusing the company. “I already know the way, thank you very much,” he says with a nod of his head and Mr. Avery agrees.

“Ok then, we’ll keep in contact.”

Dawson nods his head once more and as soon as he turns around and leaves, he checks his watch openly this time and an upset face shows up.

Taking his cell phone out, he starts walking and presses a button, then unbuttons the first button of his shirt and sighs.

“Hey. Yeah, it’s me.” He laughs at something Joey says as a greeting.

“How is your day being by far?” “Oh really?” he laughs some more.

“Yeah, the reunion is over so I’m heading to the airport where the company’s plane is waiting for me. Luckily, I expect to be there by five o’clock.”

“I know, I know. I promise to compensate you,” he smiles, his tone clearly flirting.

“So no birthday wishes for me?” he asks, pretending to be upset, smiling wide as he arrives at the lifts.

“Oh, you’ll only give them to me in person? Mmmm… that actually sounds good to me if you ask me,” and once more his voice is pregnant with flirting and a hint of seduction as he chuckles low.

Just then, the doors of the lift open.

“Can’t wait to see you. Love you Joey,” and his eyes shine at the reply in the other side of the line.

With a smile on his face, he hangs up and enters the lift.

IceHouse- Capeside.

Pacey is bending over a file drawer in the back office of the Ice House, thumbing through some papers in a folder in the drawer. His brow furrows. He takes out a folder and sits down at the desk, looking through the papers again.

“Hey, Mike, where’s the invoice for the ice delivery? I can’t find it,” he calls out to an unseen Mike.

Mike comes into the room, wiping his hands. The lunch crowd is almost gone and Mike has been helping clean up while Pacey went over the accounts and checked inventory.

“I moved it to Tuesday’s accounts,” Mike explains. “Bob the iceman switched to Tuesday mornings so he could take his daughter to band practice in the afternoons,” Mike goes to the file drawer and unhesitatingly takes the invoice out of a different folder. “And see here,” he continues expertly, “bread is coming in on Wednesday afternoons now since Mack got another job moonlighting as a bartender and the mornings are a killer for him,” Mike points out the bread invoices.

Pacey is unsure what to think of this. Mike sees his expression.

“I hope it’s okay with you,” Mike begins uncertainly, “you did kind of leave me in charge and it seemed to be the best thing for everyone”

“No, that’s fine. I didn’t ‘kinda’ leave you in charge; I did leave you in charge. Well, at least as far as deliveries go.” Then Pacey looks pleased. “That’s fine.”

“Why the big leap in fish inventory?” Pacey asks, still trying to catch up with what has been happening at the Icehouse while he’s been gone, even though it has been more than three weeks since he’s been back in Capeside.

“The lady’s bible study group comes in for Friday lunch now,” Mike answers, “and they order fish and clam chowder almost like clockwork. I like to keep a little extra on hand now. Grams loves it,” Mike adds with a big grin, thinking about the old and wise woman whose has had some interesting chats with him lately.

“That’s fine,” Pacey repeats, surprised that Mike knows so well what is going on with the Ice House. More than he does.

“It’s good to have you back,” Mike comments, sincerely. “We’ve missed you. Things aren’t the same with you gone.”

“Yeah, well, that’s nice of you to say, but it looks like things are going just fine here without me.” He chuckles. He is not upset about it, but yeah... he kinda would have liked to feel that he was more needed. But as the saying says, life goes on. With or without him. “You’re doing a great job Mike. You really have a feel for this.”

Mike smiles broadly. “I really appreciate this second chance, Pacey. Not too many people would want to hire an ex-con. And definitely not an ex-con that had burned up the place years ago,” he laughs, half amused, half bitterly.

“Well, they would if they knew what a great manager you are, Mike. This place has never been so well organized. I know I have you to thank for that,” Pacey says appreciatively. “Plus, everyone deserves a second chance.”

Mike grins. “Thanks. And it was my pleasure” “But it’s still your restaurant, so if you ever feel like I’m stepping on your shoes or something”

Pacey sighs. “Yeah, I know, but I…. I feel sometimes like it isn’t. And not because I feel like you are stepping on my shoes,” Pacey makes that clear to him “but because it seems as if it wasn’t meant to be mine. Or that is isn’t enough. Does that sound…ungrateful?”

Mike frowns, thinking. “No, not if you’re ambitious. You’re a young man with a lot of energy … and talent. There’s nothing wrong with wanting more than what this place has to offer…more than just this place to make you happy.”

“But it makes you happy, Mike” Pacey observes.

Mike can’t help but smile. “Yeah, who would have thought that a wild guy like me would be happy tallying receipts and ordering fish? But I am. Besides, a good stretch of time ….away from this…. really puts things into perspective”. The two men are quiet a moment, knowing that Mike is thinking about being in prison. Mike smiles, “You don’t know how great it feels to come here each day knowing I have something worthwhile to do. Besides, it was mine first and it’s good to be back,” he says with evident pleasure, not at all bothered that it has been rebuilt and Pacey owns it now.

“You probably just want to get back to making tomato sauce from scratch and ordering fine linen napkins, Pacey “ Mike continues. “It’s seems pretty natural that after your experience and training as a high-class chef and manager that paper napkins and canned spaghetti sauce just won’t cut it any more,” Mike comments while reaching for a can of spaghetti sauce. “Me? I’m happy as a clam just to open up a can,” he says, cheerfully tossing the can in the air with a twist and catching it.

Pacey sighs. “You may be right, Mike, but I wish you weren’t. I’d like to just stay here in Capeside and be the owner of a small restaurant and be satisfied, but I just don’t know…I’m afraid it might not be enough.” He says with a pensive face.

Los Angeles airport, a few moments later.

The camera pans across the sky, switches to an aeroplane taking off before dissolving to an internal shot filled with the hustle and bustle within a busy LAX airport. We then see an information desk and the rest of the airports noises seem to be filtered out and we hear the remainder of the conversation between two people there.

"I'm sorry sir." The woman behind the desk informs Dawson. "But we still don't appear to have anything for that flight available. All I can do is ask for you to keep checking back and something may open up."

(“Time” by Chantal Kreviazuk plays in the background)

Time, where did you go?
Why did you leave me here alone?
Wait, don't go so fast
I'm missing the moments as they pass

"I'll do that." Dawson replies before turning away from the desk. He takes a few steps and runs a hand through his hair. Slightly frustrated he takes his cell from his pocket, presses a few keys before placing it to his ear.

After a few rings he hears a voice on the other end of the phone saying "Hey you." His facial expression softens and changes to one of love. The way it would when you talk to the one person who somehow manages to always make you feel so much better, no matter what, just with a few simple words.

Now I've looked in the mirror and the worlds getting clearer
So wait for me this time
I'm down I'm down on my knees I'm begging for all your sympathy

"Hey yourself." He says into the phone, momentarily forgetting the predicament he's in. "Are you busy?"

"Have you ever known me to not be busy?" She asks but doesn't really expect an answer. "Today just seems a bit hectic and I wasn't really anticipating that, I thought it was gonna be a fairly light day in here..." She trails off.

But you (I'm just an illusion) you don't seem to care (I wish that I could)
You humble people everywhere (I don't mean to hurt you)
Now I've looked in the mirror and the worlds getting clearer
I'll take what you give me. Please know that I'm learning
So wait for me this time

"But well, now you've called and I'm just happy to be getting a break from everything." She says as she begins to twirl the phone cord. "I can't wait for you to get here, I just want to snuggle up on the couch with you all night.”

"Sounds like heaven,” Dawson says, closing his eyes for a moment and imagining it. A week. A whole week without sharing little ordinary moments like that with her. He can’t wait to be there and just hold her. “But well," he begins nervously. "About that..."

“Are you going to board already?" she asks excitedly, a big grin on her face.

"Nope, still at the airport." He takes a breath before telling her. "It looks like I probably won't make it back tonight."

I should've know better
I shouldn't have wasted those days
And afternoons and mornings
I threw them all away

"Come again?"

"I don't think I'm gonna make it back, at least not tonight." He begins, trying to keep his tone calm and soothing as opposed to expressing how annoyed he is at this inconvenience. "I turned up as planned, only to learn at more or less the last minute that there's something wrong with the landing gear. The attendant mentioned something about them having to run tests on it but that plane will not be off the ground anytime today. And I can't seem to get a flight out."

"There's nothing at all?" She asks incredulously.

"Everything to La Guardia, Newark and JFK is full."

Now this is my time
I'm going to make this moment mine.
(I shouldn't have wasted those days)
I'll take what you give me. Please know that I'm learning

"It's not even a holiday weekend."

He sighs. "I know, but the Dodgers are playing the Yankees at Yankee stadium and well, all the fine people of LA have decided to go watch that I guess."

"Well that bites!" She replies as she rubs one of her temples with her free hand.

"Just a little bit." He replies. "Everything seemed to be going right on schedule this morning, even though the meeting had been a last minute thing, but it ran smooth, ya know? And now..."

"It's not your fault Dawson. It’s ok. It was work you had to do."

"I should have told them to talk with someone else or something and come back yesterday." He states down the phone.

"You know you couldn’t do that,” she sighs, “and maybe you would have had the same batch of problems yesterday too, we'll never know."

I've looked in the mirror
My world's getting clearer

"I guess you're right. I'm gonna hang around here for a while and try and see if something opens up, but I'm not very hopeful."

"Okay, you'll call me and let me know?" She asks.

"Yeah. I'll keep you posted."

“Have you talked to your mother? She phoned me earlier and told me she was going to call you once the meeting was over.”

“Yes, she did. I talked to her and Lily.” Dawson replies smiling.

"Ok. And Dawson?"

"Yeah?"

"Happy birthday." She tells him trying to sound cheerful, knowing that he never planned this.

"Not right now it's not." He replies deadpan, but tries to sound more upbeat. "I'll speak with you soon, okay?"

"Okay. I love you."

"Love you too."

So wait for me this time

He presses end on his cell and slumps down in a seat.

"Happy 26th birthday!" he mumbles to himself.

"Well, well, well. How the mighty have fallen." A familiar voice says from beside him, causing Dawson to look up, finding Todd is sat beside him. "Weren't you supposed to be flying to New York today, on Spielberg's plane?"

"Yeah, there's some problem with landing gear. I'm trying to get a flight back but everything is booked." Dawson replies with disappointment evident in his voice. "Where are you off to?" Dawson asks trying to distract himself.

"New York."

"Last minute thing? You never said anything before."

"Ah, not quite. A friend of mine got me a ticket for the Dodgers vs. Yankees, I couldn't miss it, especially with the way they're playing now."

Dawson looks at him questioningly. "I never knew you liked basketball."

"I don't, that's why I am going to a baseball game."

"Oh, okay." Dawson replies weakly as Todd glances at his watch. "When's your flight?"

"They just called it now. Listen, why don't we try and get this ticket changed so you can go back to New York."

"Are you crazy, you have a ticket for the game, you should go. I'll work something out."

"I don't mind Dawson, what are friends for? It’d allow you to spend your birthday with Joey." Todd finishes, winking at Dawson.

"It's a really nice offer Todd." Dawson begins. "But you already have plans for this weekend and I couldn't rob you of seeing that game since you seem to be looking forward to it so much."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, not to mention that they won’t allow you to change the name of the passenger once the ticket has been retrieved” he half sighs and half laughs. “I'll work something out and if I can't get there tonight I'll just celebrate tomorrow I guess"

"You sure?” Todd asks.

“Yes I am. Now go and don’t miss your flight!”

“Okay, we'll have to meet up for a drink, celebrate the Dodgers winning."

"To hell with the Dodgers, because they're playing I can't get a flight." He says, managing a small grin. "I hope they get beat."

"That's the spirit Leery!" Todd chuckles. "I'll see you later. Happy Birthday."

"Bye Todd."

As Todd disappears from view the camera angle changes so we see Dawson from a distance sitting and thinking before he starts to make his way to the information desk again.

Back to the IceHouse, Capeside.

Pacey and Mike are in the main part of the restaurant. There are a few customers eating an early lunch. Pacey is counting the desserts and baked goods behind the glass counter but he is obviously growing distracted. He taps his pen on the clipboard he is holding.

“Well, in a couple of hours I will be ready to leave for today and tomorrow. I’m heading up to New York for Dawson’s birthday,” he tells Mike. “Will everything be okay here?”

“Sure, Pacey. No problem. Everything is under control. The inventory is almost done, and the missing shipment of clams is being delivered tomorrow. All I need to know is whether to retile the bathrooms or wait on that, and if you want to run another club sandwich special next week to start working on that as well. That’s about it, boss.” Mike concludes with a smile.

We can see from Pacey´s expression that he feels a little like a third wheel again.

“Pacey?” Mike asks, bringing him back from his thoughts.

“Uh… wait on the tiling… and run a lunch special on spaghetti… we have thirty cans too many of tomato sauce and we could use the space.” Pacey instructs Mike, knowing that Mike doesn’t really need him to tell him what to do.

“Sure thing, boss”. Mike pauses, looking like he wants to say something, but unsure if he should or not. Pacey has turned his attention to totalling some receipts. Mike decides to speak.

“Strange, isn’t it? Once I fed you grape popsicles in the summer when you were barely out of diapers and now you’re my daughter’s ex-boyfriend, the owner of my former restaurant, and my current boss”

“Yeah, it’s funny how things work out,” Pacey murmurs distractedly, as he adds up some numbers on his large professional calculator. “I was just a wisecracking kid with a mouth on me.”

“Aren’t you still that? A wisecracking kid, I mean,” Mike half-teases him.

Pacey stops punching numbers into the calculator and looks at Mike, friendly. They both go back into the kitchen to straighten up. “The key word is ‘just,’ my friend. Life moves forward, moves on, and I have certainly added many other adjectives to my growing resume, including ex-lover, ‘the other man,’ and some other ones I certainly care to put behind me.”

“Yeah, I heard you got into some trouble. But also that you managed to get yourself out of it. We haven’t heard from that guy since Christmas.”

“Well, I did the only thing I hadn’t try to do: talk to him. Seems like it worked.” Pacey sighs and then laughs bitterly, “Got into trouble, got out of trouble, dodged trouble. If the sentence has the word trouble in it, there’s a good chance it applies to me.”

Mike gives him a thoughtful look. “But not always,” he says quietly.

Pacey gives a grudging smile. “No, not always,” he agrees, vigorously wiping down a counter even though he doesn’t have to.

“And, look at it this way, at least I’ve learned what trouble is, or could be, so I can now avoid it.” Pacey comments philosophically, throwing the wet wiping towel into a back sink.

Neither of them speak for a moment. Mike gives Pacey a questioning look.

“You were avoiding trouble at the Renaissance, weren’t you?” Mike asks not unkindly.

Pacey leans, relaxed, on a counter.

“Yeah, I was” Pacey answers after a brief pause. He hasn’t really talked about it with Mike and it is strange to discuss personal things with him. “I can make my own trouble without having to take on someone else's,” he says with another slightly bitter laugh.

“So you did the right thing,” Mike observes calmly.

Pacey face clears and he smiles again. “Yeah, I guess I did.”

“Sometimes it takes a few times to get it right…you know…to do the right thing,” Mike comments in a conversational tone of voice, but they both know he is speaking from the heart…speaking about himself as well.

Pacey gives a little laugh of genuine amusement. “I was telling Joey pretty much the same thing a few months ago, during the inevitable post-mortem of our doomed romance.”

“You’re a good kid, Pacey, don’t ever forget it. Just keep your nose clean. It isn’t worth it to do otherwise…like I found out the hard way. I lost so many things and missed out on so many things and now that I have some of them back in my life… now I have a real life…I feel like I was crazy to have done the things I did.”

“But you finally got it right,” Pacey comments sincerely.

“Yeah, I just wished it hadn’t taken almost ten years out of my life, and Joey’s life, to figure out.”

The two men are silent, absorbed in thinking about Mike’s incarceration and its impact on Joey.

Mike’s hands grow still and he looks down a minute. “You must have hated me, sometimes, just like everybody else.” he says softly. Pacey looks surprised.

“I didn’t like what you did, and I didn’t like what it did to Joey although I wasn’t really there to find out the consequences until much later that when it happened. And ironically, it served me to grow closer to her,” he says, remembering how they all helped her rebuild the place that year that everything turned so complicated “but I never hated you, Mike. Now, if you ask Dawson, you might get another answer,” he half laughs, since the impact of the whole Joey and Mr. Potter stuff had a much bigger and important repercussion on his friend’s life.

“How are you doing by the way, with Joey and Dawson and all?” Mike asks somewhat tentatively, not knowing for sure Pacey´s feelings or if he wants to talk about it.

Pacey shrugs. “It was here, it happened, and now it’s gone. It worked on some levels and not others. We both have other fish to fry, I guess, in a manner of speaking.”

“Joey’s fish being Dawson?” Mike asks carefully.

Pacey laughs out loud. “I don’t know if he’d appreciate being called a fish, but, yeah, that’s one way of putting it.”

Mike silently begins taking inventory of the cans stacked on the back shelf. “He’s the right one for her, you know,” he says quietly, not looking at Pacey. “I always knew it.”

Pacey sighs. “Yeah, I know. I wish it weren’t true, but deep down inside I’ve always known it too. I got a little piece of fantasy with her, I think, a little piece of a dream or a ‘what if,’ but Dawson is her life, her real life. Whenever they are together as a couple of not, he is the best man around for her. Always been, always will.” “It just took us a little while, for me to figure that out and for her to accept it and act on it.”

“I guess it might have had a certain ring to certain people: the convict’s daughter and the sheriff’s son.” Mike jokes.

“Yeah, I guess for some people, in their mind, it might sound appealing. In real life, it’s not.” Pacey shrugs it off, and starts sorting through the morning’s receipts.

“Besides, she needs someone to go to those stuffy up-town cocktail parties with her. They give me the chills,” Pacey half-jokes, making light of the situation.

Mike can see that Pacey is okay, and that was his main worry, so he just drops the subject.

“You were also with that Andie McPhee, right?” Mike questions him gently. “And Audrey too” he adds, raising his brows.

“Yup, I’ve liked a lot of ladies” Pacey says, shaking his head. “Sometimes that’s my problem, I like too many at the same time, or the wrong ones….” Pacey suddenly stops talking, realizing that this hits a little too close to home with Mike’s past situation. “Oh, geez, man…” Pacey starts to stutter…”I didn’t mean anything by that…”

Mike holds up his hand to stop him. “Don’t worry about it Pacey. It was a long time ago and what you said is true. I just regret not getting a chance to correct my mistakes before it was too late.” and his face get sad, thinking of Lillian.

“I guess we’ve both done things we regret,” Pacey says softly. A small smile creeps onto Mike’s face at this slight understatement. “I’d say that’s about right”

Pacey looks over at Mike kind of wonderingly, realizing that although they are very different, they both have had trouble in their lives and done things they regretted. Or maybe they’re not that different after all. And maybe that was what Joey was looking for on him: someone like her father? He has heard it happens sometimes. How great that would have been, huh?, he thinks to himself ironically.

“I was faithful to Joey, I just wanted you to know,” Pacey offers seriously, just to be clear.

“I know,” Mike says somberly, and doesn’t need to say anything else.

The customers finish their early lunch and approach the cash register. Mike and Pacey come out of the kitchen and Mike goes behind the cash register. The customers hand him their bill. Pacey just stands there with nothing to do, watching Mike taking good care of everything.

Capeside High School.

We see Bessie, Grams, and Amy arrive in a car in front of Capeside High School. They have come to surprise Jack by bringing Amy to cheer him up before he leaves to New York for Dawson’s birthday party. And it took them A LOT of convincing for him to go since Jack, as usual, didn’t want to leave Amy.

“Let’s not disturb Jack’s class,” Grams says when she sees that school has not ended yet. “we can sit on that bench and wait,” she suggests, pointing to a bench near the entrance of the school.

“That sounds good to me,” Bessie agrees, as she puts Amy in a stroller.

They walked to the bench. Amy is still in her stroller and she is playing with a baby rattle. Bessie and Grams admire Amy as they sit down on the bench watching her.

"She’s so adorable," Bessie remarks aloud to Grams.

"Yes, she gets cuter everyday," Grams says, agreeing with Bessie.

"Amy reminds me of when Alexander was a baby. So cute and innocent. Things have definitely changed since then," Bessie admits, reflecting back on the past.

"Mostly because of the kids, I’m sure," Grams adds. She knows how much the kids have had an impact on their lives.

"They are all so grown up and sophisticated now, living on their own. I think Joey taught me as much as I taught her," Bessie says, remembering how she raised Joey after their mother died.

"Oh, yes. Jen taught me many things as well. These wonderful people like Jack and Mr. Smalls came into my life because of her.” Grams pauses, thinking of Jen with a sweet and sad smile. “She helped me learn to open up my heart again after my husband died. And also, to be… less critical, I guess you could say. I hate to admit it, but perhaps I was a bit more critical of others than I should have been as a good Christian woman," Grams admits reluctantly. She gives a little look at Bessie, thinking of how disapproving she had been of Bessie so many years ago. Then Grams gives a little laugh. “For being such a heathen sometimes, Jen was more like an angel. She brought me closer to God and my faith, and opened up my life and heart to more… possibilities… and love.” Grams says, expressing how grateful she was for Jen

"That’s a wonderful thing, when you learn how to do it. So many opportunities come into your life," Bessie says.

"Yes, too bad I couldn’t do it earlier," Grams says, expressing a little regret. “Perhaps I wouldn’t have so many problems with Jen’s mother if I had done that,” she says somewhat sadly.

“I am sure we all do things we regret,” Bessie says to console Grams. “ I think the important thing is to go forward and try to make things as good as they can be now, in the present.”

“I am sure you are right, and I am trying [with Jen’s mother]. But she can push a person’s patience. And I am not always known for my patience,” Grams admits with a smile. “Something with the Lord’s help I am working on.”

The two sit companionably in silence for a moment, thinking of Jen and the others as children.

Then Bessie smiles and gives a little laugh. "Joey was so scared of you when she was younger. I remember she thought you were a witch." Bessie tells Grams, laughing at the thought of it. Grams starts laughing a little, too.

"Well, I hope she isn’t scared of me now," Grams says and Bessie shakes her head.

"Joey grew up to be such a beautiful and intelligent young woman. I’m glad to see how she is so happy now. I am glad how they all seem to be finding their way slowly. It was about time if you ask me." Grams remarks.

"They’re still so young though. And it’s funny, but also scary to think that at their age I already felt as mature as an older woman. Taking care of Alex, and taking care of my younger sister. I always saw her as such a baby, but looking back, she wasn’t. You know, the age difference between us is not that much. I just felt as if it was. But the agony and joy I went through with her was all worth it, though," Bessie says, remembering the times her and Joey shared.

"Same here, all the rough times I shared with Jen were worth it. I remember how she would prove me wrong about the things I thought. She told me about Dawson. How he was a nice, kind person. He wasn’t the person I perceived him to be. Same with Joey. And those two together, you know I didn’t like her sleeping over at his house like that. I found it highly inappropriate and I thought you were being way too permissive, what didn’t surprise me though, ‘knowing the kind of life you were leading her into.’” Grams says, emulating her better old fashion voice, making Bessie laugh.

“How things change,” Bessie says, and Grams smiles at her.

“And for the best. I don’t know what I would have done without you and Gale here for the last year since I moved back,” Grams says sincerely, placing her hand over Bessie’s arm and squeezing it lightly, Bessie placing her own hand over hers.

Amy starts to giggle as she watches a squirrel run up a tree nearby and points her finger at the squirrel. This makes Bessie and Grams turn their heads to see the squirrel and then turn back to Amy. They smile at how happy Amy seems.

"Jack and I are so lucky that Amy is with you, Bessie. You take such good care of her and we can’t think of anyone else that would be as great with her as you are," Grams expresses to Bessie. "We’re grateful for Bodie, too. I can see he is a great father."

"Oh, it’s no problem. It is a joy taking care of Amy. She is such a wonderful child. I treat her as if she were my own. Thank you for saying that about, Bodie, too. It’s true, he is a great father. He helps me so much with Alexander and with Amy too," Bessie says.

"I never would have thought that ten years ago but as I grew older with Jen, I see how much nicer things are now. We have an extended family and everyone looks out for each other," Grams remarks.

"It is nicer.” Bessie agrees. “Since I’ve been taking care of Amy, I’ve actually been thinking about having another baby. I know it’s a lot of work, but it is such a joy too” Bessie says, looking sweetly at Amy. “I didn’t really have the time to enjoy Alex as much as I wanted to when he was a baby, but my life is so much better now”

"I didn’t know you wanted another child” Gram says, surprised. “Well, babies are such a gift to the world. Letting more innocent life into this world is what makes it better."

At this point, the bell rings and we see students come out of the school doors.

"We should start going in the school" Grams says to Bessie and she agrees as they stand up to go into the school. They start walking up with Amy still in the stroller but some students walk up and start to look at how adorable Amy is.

"Aw, that is such a cute baby," a girl exclaims.

"Thank you, her name is Amy," Grams says proudly to the girl as she takes her out of the stroller to give the girl and some of the other students gathering a better view of Amy. “We’re coming to visit her daddy, a teacher here. Jack McPhee.” Grams says, smiling at Amy.

“Oh, we know Mr. McPhee. We didn’t know he had a baby!” one of the girls exclaims, surprised.

“Yes, this is my great-granddaugher,” Grams beams, enjoying the attention Amy is getting. “She is smart and beautiful and sweet and has the best daddy in the world,” Grams says proudly.

"Hi Amy! You’re so adorable!" The girls say to Amy as other students gather around to admire Amy.

We hear students asking how old she is and commenting on how adorable it is when Amy laughs. Grams smiles and happily talks to the students, answering their questions and showing off Amy while more students come over to see Amy too.

Publishing Firm at New York.

Joey is sitting at her office desk, staring out the window. She obviously has things on her mind. Ethan breezes in, not noticing at first that Joey is distracted and not in a good way.

“How’s my favorite assistant editor?” he asks cheerfully, in his usual good mood.

Joey turns from the window with a little frown.

“Uh oh, that doesn’t look good” Ethan comments with a slight frown. “What’s up?”

Joey sighs. “I just got off the phone with Dawson a few minutes ago, and it looks like he might not be able to make it tonight. Some last minute trouble with the shooting schedule, a last minute meeting, the plane…the flight… you know how it goes sometimes,” She tries to sound practical but her tone and expression clearly shows that she is disappointed.

Ethan looks disappointed too. “That sucks, you’ve worked so hard…. and it’s been funny having you all excited running around like a little kid all week. I was just telling Sam this morning that if I’d known what a good mood Dawson put you in, I would have beaten a path to Los Angeles myself and dragged him back here a long time ago.” He says, trying to make her smile.

“Yeah, well, these things happen,” Joey shrugs, trying to put a good face on it but she is obviously unhappy.

“Let’s hope for the best I guess.”

“Yeah, as they say, ‘hope dies last.’ I think there’s still a chance he might make it, and the party is all planned anyway…. so the show will go on without him, if it comes to that. But I’m sure it won’t,” Joey assures him, trying to sound upbeat. “I guess that’s what I get for falling in love with a very popular and overworked young director with two successful shows,” she says lightly, her tone one of pride, mixed with disappointment that he may not make it to the party. “I can hardly make him leave his own show just for a birthday party. I just thought he’d be back long before today so that this wouldn’t be happening. But he just gets so busy… something is always coming up.” Joey says somewhat sadly with a sigh.

“Well, you should have fallen in love with someone like me, who never leaves the building or sees the light of day,” Ethan jokes good-naturedly. “You would always know where to find me…where I always am….chained to my desk…a cog in this great machine we call a publishing company…destined to never see the light of day...” he finishes melodramatically.

Joey rolls her eyes at him. “Well, I think your evil captors will release you for the night so that you can come to the party and have a good time even if Dawson can’t come.” she laughs

“Well, if you can make the best of it then so will I,” Ethan declares manfully, and Joey laughs again. “Sam and I have done everything we were supposed to do for the party,” Ethan states “and to tell you the truth, I’ve been looking forward to this party and also to seeing you once again reunited with the love of your life. It is getting where I don’t recognize you unless you are attached to his waist.” Ethan teases Joey affectionately.

“It isn’t that bad,” Joey protests with a laugh.

“Well, it would be if it weren’t for your separate jobs. So I guess there are some good things to be said for Dawson being so busy. Gives you a chance to breathe…girl.”

Joey smiles at him. “I breathe just fine with or without him…. Well, almost.” Joey smiles shyly and bites the tip of her tongue, smiling at the thought of him.

Ethan laughs. “I know…sometimes there’s a certain heavy breathing with a certain person that just can’t compare. Besides, I’ve seen the two of you together. He takes your breath away, miss editor.”

Joey laughs embarrassed but of course he is right.

“Speaking of heavy breathing….” Joey prompts.

“If this is your way of finding out what is going on between me and Sam, no-can-do señorita. We’re still too much at the ‘finding out about each other’ stage to be going around blabbing our secrets.”

“Oh, so there are some secrets?” Joey asks curiously, noticing how Ethan’s tone has turned slightly more serious.

“Kind of,” he admits, shrugging his shoulders.

“Ethan, you’ve been a great co worker and most importantly, a good friend. I want you to know that if there is something I can help you with… after all, Dawson and I are at least partly responsible for bringing the two of you together so I hope everything goes well,” Joey says sincerely.

“Yeah, me too. I just wasn’t expecting this to happen I guess, not this strong and this… fast, you know?” he says, and then his tone changes to a brighter one. “So, the party is still on for tonight and we’re in the final countdown.” Ethan says pretending to be all business.

“That’s a roger yes aye aye!” Joey says, accepting his change of subject politely.

“And we’ll just throw Dawson in the lake if he misses his own birthday party.”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Joey laughs. “Besides, he doesn’t even know he is missing his own birthday party.”

“Should you tell him?”

Joey thinks a minute.

“No, he knows I want to be with him for his birthday. If he can make it, he’ll come. If he can’t, he can’t. I don’t want to spoil the surprise in case he makes it. Besides, he’ll just feel guiltier if he knows he’s missing his party, and I don’t want him to feel guilty.” Joey looks sad. “I know it’s hard for him already… being apart…I don’t want to make it worse.” she says quietly.

Ethan sees that Joey is starting to feel bad. “Well, then, we won’t make it worse,” he says. “We’ll have a great party and if we’re lucky, he’ll make it. And if not, I’m sure you’ll have your own special birthday present waiting for him when he gets back.” he says suggestively, raising his eyebrows and avoiding a slap in his arms.

“That’s for me to know and you NOT to find out!” she retorts teasingly as she pushes him out of the office.

"Now seriously,” Ethan says, stopping in the door way as Joey stops pushing him “Just look at it this way, you’ll have years and years of birthdays with him. This is only one of many." He says, winking at her as he finally exits, closing the door.

"I know," Joey says simply to the empty room with a smile.

Capeside, the IceHouse.

We see the IceHouse full with people as the camera makes a general vision of the place. Behind the bar, checking some papers, we see Pacey. The phone under the bar and next to him rings and he takes it without even taking his eyes off the papers he is reading.

“Icehouse, Pacey Witter speaking, May I help you?”

“Aw, my boy is all grown up. How professional that sounded,” Andie’s laughter greets him and a big smile appears on his face, putting the papers aside and leaning his elbows in the bar stool.

“Hi there Doctor McPhee,” he jokes back, and Andie groans softly, making him laugh.

“Argh, if only. There’s still a lot of time to get there though.”

“Oh that, I agree”

“Ok, so I was just calling to make sure we all got it right for today. Same place and hour we agreed on the other day?”

“Yep, same place and hour. That is, at Audrey’s. You already have the address, right?”

“Yep, I do. So how is it going, spending a whole day stuck with Miss Liddle? She can be quite exhausting,” Pacey laughs.

“Don’t be bad,” Andie gently scolds him, although she knows that he is just kidding. “We’ve had a lot of fun until this guy showed up. Remember how we said that Audrey was having some kind of troubles but she wouldn’t talk about them out loud?” Andie asks.

“Yes” Pacey replies, his voice now serious. “And?”

“And I think they have name and surname.”

“I see. I only hope he doesn’t ruin the party for her. Knowing Audrey, I’m sure she could use some fun to take her mind out of troubles, at least for a while.”

“Yeah, well, and speaking of that, I am not sure on how well all this will turn out though”

“Why do you say that?” Pacey´s voice in the other side of the line sounds intrigued.

“Joey called us about 30 minutes ago, saying that she had spoken with Dawson and apparently, he is having some troubles to take a plane in L.A so he is not sure he can make it to NY today.”

“Ouch. And I’m sure Joey is loving it, huh?” Pacey comments, “because you know her, especially when it comes to Dawson.” Pacey comments, and there’s no need to add anything else.

“Either way, seems like the party is still a go. Let’s just hope that the honored guest can show up.”

“Let’s hope so,” Pacey comments, worried.

“Well, see you later Pacey,” she finishes, a smile clear in her voice.

“See you later Andie,” Pacey smiles back and hang up the phone, going back to the papers.

But after a couple of seconds, he smiles again and looks off space, amused. He is really looking forward to see that McPhee girl again. He’s missed her.

Still with the smile pasted in his face, he walks inside the office in the background and takes his coat from a hook. He puts it on and grabs his keys, throwing them to the air and humming a melody as he walks out of the office and back to the front bar, where Mike is now changing one of the beers barrels.

Pacey clears his throat. “Well, it looks like you have everything well in hand here and as it looks like I have a trip to get ready for, so I’ll just be on my way.”

“We’ll be here when you get back,” Mike says cheerfully, standing straight after and testing the pressure of the barrel so the beer has enough foam. “Say hi to Dawson and Joey for me. I’ll call them tomorrow, when the whole party thing is done and over with.”

“I will, and thanks Mike,” Pacey says heartily, meaning it and a whole lot more. Mike gives him a manly but affectionate clap on the back as he leaves the IceHouse and then he happily starts to ring up the customer’s bill.


Capeside High School.

The scene opens with Jack standing in front of his class of students. We see ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ written on the blackboard in big letters behind him. The students are interested and listening.

“Okay, class, who else can give me an example of how society’s perception of Boo Radley influenced how he was treated… good or bad?”

Four students raise their hands.

“Sarah?” Jack calls on a student.

“Well, the adults mostly just left him alone because they thought he was a loner- which maybe he was- but the kids left him alone because they were afraid of him. They thought he was strange… or dangerous. But later they found out he was nice.”

Jack turns to the blackboard. “So would you say he was isolated?” Jack asks writing the word ‘isolated’ under a short list of words. “A nonconformist? Misunderstood?” Jack writes down too.

“Yeah, like Freddie Krueger” one of the boys calls out from the back of the class. The class laughs.

Just then, the bell rings. The students start gathering up their pens and books. Jack puts down the chalk and faces the students.

“Don’t forget your essay assignments are due this Friday…. 500 words on what you think would happen if the events in the novel occurred today in Capeside instead of in the 30’s south. And that doesn’t count punctuation or the multiple use of the same word over and over. That means you, master Scott.” Jack adds good humouredly, giving the boy a pointed look. Some students chuckle.

“And give some examples of your theory. The essay should be interesting. If you get bored writing it, chances are, it’s going to bore me too.”

“Yeah, we wouldn’t want to bore the teacher. He might make us read the book again,” a student laughingly jokes. Jack gives him a look of mock dismay.

“Reading is good for the soul,” Jack pronounces with a twinkle in his eye. The students groan.

Jack searches the class with his eyes and spots a student.

“Joan, can I see you after class?” Jack directs a student. A few of the kids go “oohhh” like she is in trouble, but they are clearly joking. The students like Jack.

The girl reluctantly approaches the desk. “Have as seat,” Jack suggests gently, and she sits down, looking unhappy. He waits until the other students have left the classroom before talking again.

“You didn’t put much thought into that last assignment, Joan.”

(“Amie” by Damien Rice stars playing in the background)

Joan just sits there looking unhappy.

Nothing unusual, nothing strange
Close to nothing at all
The same old scenario, the same old rain
And there's no explosions here

“You can do better, Joan, I know you can,” he tells her in an encouraging but no-nonsense tone of voice.

The girl twirls a strand of her hair, looking confused. “But I don’t understand the assignment Mr. McPhee,” she complains.

“All you need to do is explain who you are,” Jack explains, patiently. “It isn’t that hard of an assignment”

“But I don’t know who I am!” the student wails.

Then something unusual, something strange
Comes from nothing at all
I saw a spaceship fly by your window
Did you see it disappear?

Jack is both exasperated and amused by the passion, or should he say melodrama, of youth.

“You don’t know what you are yet, Joan, but you already have a pretty good idea of who you are, at least for now.”

“I still don’t understand.” the girl pouts.

“Look at it this way. What you are, now, is a student and daughter and maybe a girlfriend or a cheerleader or the class spelling bee champion or an employee of the local ice cream shop. But most of those things will change. Three years from now you may not be a student or a girlfriend or work at the ice cream shop. But who you are may still be the same. What this assignment’s purpose is, is for you to look at yourself and try to figure out the best you can what makes you, you. What won’t change in the next three or maybe thirty years. It’s not about your favorite band or the latest fashion.”

“How am I supposed to know what I will be like in three years?” the girl asks sullenly.

Jack gets an idea and smiles. “Guess.”

The girl looks surprised. Guessing is usually not something a student does for homework. She looks curious.

Jack takes a pad of paper and quickly jots down a few sentences. “Okay, Joan, go home and answer these questions and I’ll think you’ll do okay,” he says as passes the notepad over to her. She looks at them interested.

“I think I’ll be a blank in three years because I am blank” she reads aloud. “My favorite pastime is blank because I am blank,” She glances up at Jack mischievously.

“Keep it clean,” he admonishes her with a laugh, reading her mind. Sometimes teenagers can be so predictable.

Amie come sit on my wall
And read me the story of O
And tell it like you still believe
That the end of the century
Brings a change for you and me

“Did you know who you were when you were my age?” the girl asks, curious.

Jack smiles. “No, I didn’t” he replies candidly. “But I did know that I liked working with children and that I didn’t have a lot of confidence and that I needed friends more than I realized.”

“Did knowing those things help?”

“Sure they did. I developed confidence because other people wanted me to and because I wanted to, I kept my friends because I needed them, and I teach because I love it. Because that is who I am,” he concludes.

“Ahh,” the girl says, getting what the assignment is about.

“Just let me see what is inside Joan and I’ll be happy,” Jack says with a smile.

“You mean like guts?” the girl snickers.

“Out!” Jack says with mock severity, pointing his finger sternly to the door.

Nothing unusual, nothing's changed
Just a little older that's all
You know when you've found it,
There's something I've learned
'Cause you feel it when they take it away

Just then, Grams and Bessie enter the room. Bessie is holding Amy. As soon as Amy sees Jack, she squeals “Da Da” holding out her arms and opening and closing her hands, fingers on her palms… her way of saying “gimme”. Jack breaks out in a huge smile and gets up from his desk immediately to go to Amy, taking her from Bessie.

“How’s my little sweetheart? “ he coos at her, delighted as if he hasn’t seen her in days when in fact it has only been a few hours.

“Pop pop,” Amy crows, waving her hands around excitedly.

“We had a little popcorn on the way here,” Bessie explains. “And she loved it.”

“Is it okay for her to have popcorn?” Jack asks, concerned.

“Well, I don’t know but I used to give some to Alex and he did fine.” Bessie frowns. “I won’t give it to her any more if you are worried about it.”

“Well, I don’t know… we’ll have to check the baby books” Jack says, wanting everything to be right with Amy.

Something unusual, something strange
Comes from nothing at all
But I'm not a miracle
And you're not a saint
Just another soldier
On the road to nowhere

Joan has been watching this silently but with great interest. “Is this your daughter, Mr. McPhee?” she asks brightly.

Jack turns around a bit with Amy in his arms to face Joan. He can’t take the smile of his face. “Yes, she is” he replies, kissing Amy’s palm. “Joan, this is Amy, my perfect daughter. Amy, this is Joan, a student who needs to go home and redo her homework assignment” Jack gives Joan a fake glare. Joan smiles and walks up to Amy and gently takes her hand. “Nice to meet you, Amy McPhee” she says softly, before giving Jack another smile and leaving the room.

A troubled look crosses Jack’s face for a moment. “I wonder if she’ll ever be Amy McPhee,” he murmurs aloud. He sighs deeply. “I guess for now it is just right that she is Amy Lindley and maybe that is all she needs to be,” he says, kissing the top of Amy’s head.

“Well, I don’t know,” says Grams forthrightly. “Amy Lindley McPhee sounds just about right to me. Seems like she should have the two names of the people who love her the most,” she says, cooing at Amy at the end and giving her a little tickle.

Amie come sit on my wall
And read me the story of O
And tell it like you still believe
That the end of the century
Brings a change for you and me

Jack smiles grimly. “Well, they can call her anything they like as long as she ends up with me.” Jack declares. Then his face clears looking at Amy

“So, to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?” he asks Grams cheerfully.

“Well, since you’re going to be gone a couple of days to New York, we just thought we’d come by and surprise you.” Grams answers.

“Surprise!” Bessie adds with a smile.

“Well, I can never see my girls enough,” Jack says happy, looking lovingly at Amy. “Let me grab a few papers and let’s go.”

“I’ll get them,” Bessie volunteers. “Seeing as it seems that now I’m one of your girls,” she teases with a wry smile.

And Amie come sit on my wall
And read me the story of O
And tell it like you still believe
That the end of the century
Brings a change for you and me

Bessie gets the papers and the four of them go into the hallway. They hardly get a few feet into the hallway before some students still in the halls see Jack with Amy and make a bee-line toward them. “Oh my gosh, that’s the cutest baby I’ve ever seen” and “Is this your little girl, Mr. McPhee?” “Oh, Professor Jack, I didn’t know you had a daughter. She’s so sweet” and other compliments and awws.

Jack just grins proudly and tells them she is his daughter, come for a little visit, not knowing that Amy had already reaped such a huge success or even more a while ago in the park in front of the building.

Grams smiles happily seeing all the fuss the students are making over Jack and Amy. She catches Jack’s eye.

“Professor Jack?” Grams asks him with her eyebrows raised.

Jack looks a little embarrassed but pleased. “Yeah, it’s just a little nickname a few of the students call me… when I’m not giving out homework assignments,” he laughs.

“The children like you,” Grams says softly with a knowing look.

“Most of the time” Jack admits with a chuckle. “Not that they would ever admit it. You know teenagers.”

The principal, seeing a small crowd gathered around Jack, calmly walks down the hall toward them to see what is going on. He approaches the little knot of people with Amy in the center.

“I see we have a little visitor here today,” the principal comments, amused.

Jack looks a little concerned. “I hope it’s okay. They just got here. A little surprise,” Jack can’t help but smile at Amy.

The principal smiles back.

“No problem, as long as we keep things down to a small riot” he gently jokes, relaxed. “It’s good to finally see the little lady who has Jack McPhee’s heart,” the principal says jovially.

“Yeah, she’s a keeper all right,” Jack says happily, bouncing Amy a little in his arms to make her laugh. She does. The students are enchanted.

“Well, well, seems as if we have a charming baby in here” Pacey´s voice makes his way through the little crowd as he approaches them, and then the bell rings again, causing the students to leave not before cooing at Amy and making her some funny faces, to which she replies in delight.

“Ladies,” Pacey salutes Grams and Bessie as he takes Amy in his arms. “Aw, come here” he says as he takes Amy with some effort, “she’s really putting on some weight, isn’t she?”

“Yes, she is,” Bessie agrees as she brushes some hair off Amy’s forehead and they all head outside, where Pacey´s car is waiting for Jack so they can drive to Boston and take the plane in there to New York city.