Login     Help

7.14 - Little things by Renae, BeatrizRC, Elyse, Rebeca

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jack’s kitchen.

“Tell them what Amy did today, Jack,” Audrey gets up to get herself some more ice tea while Jack begins to tell the group that has gathered around his kitchen table the latest cute thing that Amy has done.

“Audrey, I don’t think they want to know every little thing that Amy does,” he says, but after that last comment, everybody at the table chime in asking what happened.

Audrey waits for Jack to begin but, in true Audrey fashion, she can’t wait for him.

“She said 'dad' clear and loud,” Audrey exclaims. “Geez Jack, why aren’t you excited about that?”

Audrey asks, going to sit down once again at the table next to Andie. Grams, who is sitting next to Jack, places her hand over his.

“Well, that’s one thing to be grateful for. She knows who you are.”

“She didn’t say it to me,” he softly mumbles causing everyone to stop eating and look at him perplexed.

“What’d you say Jack?” Pacey, asks placing his glass back down on the table.

“I said she didn’t say it to me,” he says rather frustrated and there is a moment of silence at the table.

“You’re imagining it, Jack,” Andie says encouragingly to her brother.

“Your sister’s right, Jack. She’s tried other times and right when you were holding her,”

Grams nods her head then picks up her sandwich, continuing to eat lunch.

“Oh, come on, Jack! Just because Boddie entered the room at that moment you think she was telling to him? Please. She wasn’t even looking his way. You’re being paranoid,” But Jack remains somber. “I thought this was a good thing. I didn’t mean to ruin lunch,” Audrey states looking at everyone at the table as she sits down again.

“Audrey, it's okay,” Jack interjects trying to ease the tension in the air. “And you’re right. Maybe I am just being paranoid,” he says, placing his hand on hers, letting her know that everything is okay and he is not upset.

“Jack what’s really bugging you?” Pacey asks in a concerned tone, and Jack sighs.

“She just seemed so happy today.”

“And that’s a bad thing?” Pacey watches Jack’s reaction as he continues.

“Well, normally no, but it's just... it's just that I’m afraid she is starting to forget me,” he blurts out rather quickly, surprising everyone at the table.

They all look at each other, knowing what he means, but thinking that he is wrong.Finally, Grams is the one who speaks.

“Now you listen to me, young man,” Grams states firmly patting his hand for a brief moment. “Babies are amazing creatures. They know who their parents are and that little girl, my great granddaughter, knows who her dad is. No doubt about it.”

“Jack, Grams is right. I’ve seen how she grabs for you as soon as you walk through the front door to see her,” Audrey calmly states winking at Jack.

“She just seems so relaxed and playful when I go visit her. It's like it doesn’t matter to her that she isn’t with me,” Jack laments.

“You know why that is?” Grams chimes in. “You go see her everyday,” she continues to add.

Jack softly smiles not to sure what to think right now.

“Well, the way that I see this whole thing,” Pacey gets up to go in to the kitchen to rinse of his plate having finished lunch, “is that the little girl isn’t going to forget you, and you know why? Because we aren’t going to let her forget you or any of us. That’s a promise,” he states as a matter of fact, finally seeing a wider smile begin to form on Jack’s mouth.

“You know, Jack, Jennifer and I didn’t see eye to eye when it came to Him...or as you refer to him as “The man up there”. But He and I have had some good talks lately, and don’t forget that He’s on our side,” Grams smiles at the young people sitting around the table knowing how wonderful it is to still have them all in her life since she lost Jen. “When I go visit that little angel and we talk about you, and I show her pictures of you, she touches your picture and has said 'da, da' a few times at them,” Grams looks sideways at Jack who is sitting next to her. “So what about that, huh?”

“See! Everything is fine, Jack,” Andie says cheerfully.

“Yeah don’t worry so much, Jackers,” Audrey laughs.

Jack laughs hearing Audrey call him Jackers, a name that Jen, and now Grams, called him all the time.

“Face it, Jack. You are unforgettable,” Pacey adds and begins to sing the song Unforgettable. Jack throws a napkin at him as Andie and Audrey begins to sing along, making Jack laugh, Grams shaking her head with a smile in her face.

Outside the Potter B&B.

Dawson and Joey stand facing one another, holding hands on the front porch of the B&B before going into the house for the evening.

“Doesn’t this feel like a bit of deja vu?” Joey gives him a questioning look. He leans in closer to her and whispers in her ear, “I still don’t know everything about you...and it's been how many years?” he gives her a quick kiss on her neck before taking her in to his arms to hug her tightly.

Her smile becomes wider, “Well maybe, just maybe, we won’t be interrupted like the last time that we babysat,” he surprises her and tickles her lightly and she giggles and begins to pull away from him, but his arms go around her waist once again and continue to hold her close to him. “The sooner we get in there the sooner they’ll leave, which means we’ll be all alone.”

“Now, that’s what I call a good argument,” he jokes and drops his arms instantly.

“Just promise me that you’re not gonna spend a lot of time glued to that laptop of yours”.
Dawson groans as he throws his head back lightly.

“Yeah, I saw you putting it in the car”, she accuses him as she shoves him gently with her shoulder.

“I just need to check some emails and stuff like that. Nothing big, I promise.”

“You better” she says as she makes a face and he takes her hand, opening the door and letting Joey step inside first as he places a light kiss in her cheek.

“Bessie!. We’re here!” Joey announces, but it's Lily who receives them.

“Hey! We’re in the living room,” she says as she is carrying some clean towels.

“Where are you going with that? Dawson asks, curious.

“Hey there!” Bessie says as she pokes her head into the hall at the sound of voices.

“They’re for Amy,” she laughs as they all enter the room.

“She’s still learning how to make the spoon connect with her mouth,” Bessie explains, but the fact is obvious to everyone when they see her.

Lily hands the towels to Bodie, who is being flanked by Alex. As Dawson moves closer to the table to greet Amy, Joey does the same but Bessie puts her hand over her arm, clearly asking her not to. Joey looks at her, slightly taken aback, but Bessie just motions for Joey to follow her.

“Let the men take care of it,” she smiles, causing Joey to do the same. “There is something I want to talk to you about, anyway.”

Bessie and Joey sit on the sofa as Dawson and Bodie are cleaning Amy, who apparently managed to get food everywhere but in her mouth. Joey watches with a smile on her face.

“You know, Joey, having Amy here has kind of ignited those feelings of wanting another baby,” she states, interested in her sister’s reaction. Joey looks at her a bit surprised.

“Bess, you never told me that you wanted another baby,” She watches her sister’s eyes as she glances over at Amy once again. “Remember the feedings and not getting a good night's sleep until they're what.... 5?” Joey shakes her head, remembering the nights that she spent over at Dawson’s after Alex was born.

“I don’t know, Joey… Jack was here earlier and I spoke to him about Amy. When he expressed his hope of having her back soon, I realized that I wasn’t sure I wanted that to happen.”

Joey looks at her with a stunned expression on her face.

“What do you mean? You don’t want Jack to get Amy back?” she asks as if that was the most inconceiveble thing ever, in her voice a light tone of accusation.

“No, no, I’m not saying that. I’m just saying… while talking with him, I expressed out loud some things I hadn’t really thought about until then. The things I missed with Alex, because I was so young and busy, and same with Bodie. Having Amy here at home kind of reminded me of all that I missed and that if I ever want to experience that again, this may be the perfect moment. I mean, when have things been better than now?. You’re out there, making your own life. Dad is back, and is being a great help. The business is doing amazing, Bodie and I are finally stabilized, economically speaking, and I’m the right age. I don’t wanna be near 40 when I realize that I want a baby again. I know that nowadays that is not such a problem, but still.”

Joey nods her head, understanding a bit of what Bessie is saying.

“Alex would be so much older than a brother or sister that he would have. Don’t you worry about that? I mean, I know you told us this morning he had been acting weird since Amy was here,” she says to Bessie.

“I think he might be a little jealous of her. I mean, he hardly had any time to get used to the idea. But watching the whole development of the pregnancy and all… it would take longer and it would be easier. I guess. I hope,” Bessie smiles as she looks over at Dawson, “And Dawson was what, 17 or 18 when Gail had Lily and look how all that turned out. So I don’t think that Alex being much older is a problem, but quite the opposite.” Bessie concludes.

Joey smiles as she remembers the first time that she saw Dawson’s little sister and found out that she would be named after her mother. She then turns around to look at Dawson,
who is tickling Amy’s tummy, making her giggle. He’s also making funny faces at her, which seem to entertain her, as he continues to help Bodie clean her up.

“And what has Bodie to say about all this?”

“Actually… I will mention it to him today over dinner. So I’ll tell you tomorrow,” Bessie laughs softly. “I think everything is gonna be okay, though,” she says, a secure expression on her face.

“I hope so. I’m glad that it is you and not me considering this,” Joey states, taking a sip of her ice tea.

Bessie looks over at Joey, a little surprised by her comment.

“You haven’t? Come on, Joey. Don’t tell me that you haven’t thought about. You’ve finally reunited with the love of your life, the man that has been in your dreams and mind since you were 15, and the one that you know was destined for you. You haven’t thought about it?” Bessie ask wondering what her sister will say.

“Well, yes. I guess I’ve thought about it. But it's a little soon to go over that already, don’t you think?” and Bessie notes a hint of hesitation in her voice.

“Joey, are you…”

“Am I what?” She asks, not too sure where her sister is headed.

“Are you scared of having a child and maybe have something happen like what happened before? I mean, not that you or Dawson are Dad and Mom, but....are you scared that you and him...well....that something would happen like it always has?”

Joey now knew what she was talking about...about the possibility of her and Dawson losing their way again. She answers calmly.

“I’ve dealt with so much of this in my therapy that the answer is...” she pauses then continue, “No. No. I’m not scared at all.” She says smiling. “Not about Dawson and me. I stopped being scared the moment I took that plane to L.A a few weeks ago. And I know that what we have, come what may, is forever. But it's the whole maternity thing that seems to be something so big and important and hard to do. What mother or father wouldn’t be scared a little bit of bringing a child into the world? But yeah, despite it all, I can say that.... yes, I’ve considered it.” She blushes lightly, staring at the ice tea in her hands. “Kind of.”

“So then you have thought about? I knew it,” Bessie states with a big grin.

“Yes, I’ve consider it,” she says rather loudly and just at the moment that Bodie lifts the cleaned up Amy in a victorious gesture to hand her to Dawson so that he can take the towels to the bathroom.

“You’ve considered what?” Dawson asks as he walks over to the sofa and looks down at Joey, who sticks out her tongue to him.

“Just girls talk,” she tells him, reaching out her arms to take the baby, which Dawson hands to her with a half suspicious, half funny face.

Doug Witter’s house.

We see the stairs that go to the upper part of the house as the door bell rings.

"Coming!" Doug calls out as he quickly jogs to the door and looks through the peephole. He sees Pacey and a smile creeps across Doug's face.

"Little Brother!" Doug exclaims as he opens the door.

"Dougie!" Pacey says as they hug. "How's it going, bro?"

"Been better," Doug admits as the two brothers sit on the living room couch. "You?"

"Been better," Pacey concedes. After a slight silence Pacey admits, "I just came from Jack's."

"Oh?" Doug's face remains expressionless, but there is an interested tone in his voice.

"All things considered, I'd say he's doing pretty good." He says, knowing that Doug was probably going to ask him about it anyway.

"That's a relief." Doug does appear to visually relax a little bit. "It's always so hard to tell how he's really doing when we talk."

"So you are still talking. That's good."

"We're talking, but we're not," Doug sighs in frustration. "Things are getting a little bit better, step by step. I mean, for the past week or so, we have been talking more, and that's something. It's just...we never really say anything. At least, not what needs to be said."

"You mean what you want to hear," Pacey reads between the lines.

"Yeah… well... maybe. I mean, Jack changed my entire life, literally. How am I just supposed to let that go? Am I supposed to silently stand by waiting for that undefined future time when things may be right for us or am I supposed to give up on the whole situation altogether? Because right now, I honestly don't feel like doing either. It's like we never even had a real chance."

"It's not like I don't know what you're talking about," Pacey says as he leans back against the sofa. "Because believe me, I do. And you know what? It sucks. Whether you’re right or wrong in your appreciation of things, it just plain sucks."

"I just don't know what I'm supposed to do."

"You can't let it control your life. Don't wait in vain for another person to magically find their way back to you. Before anyone else can find you, you have to find yourself. Seems like we all are still doing that anyway,” he laughs and Doug just looks at him, not knowing exactly where the joke is. Pacey keeps on going, more seriously now. “What I mean is that there have been so many changes in your life recently that maybe some distance would be the best thing. I mean, you just came out of, and are just coming off of, this intense relationship. Maybe you just need some time and distance to sort things out within yourself."

"Are we talking about me or you here?"

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you leaving everything and going to New Orleans.”

“That has nothing to do with this. I went there in search of an opportunity that I was offered. The way things were going in my life back then, it was the best thing I could do. You know what they say...it all happens for a reason.”

“If you say so,” Doug says, as he stands up from the sofa. “Anyway, want something to drink?”

“No, I don’t. Actually, I was just coming to invite you to something”, and he smiles at Doug’s suspicious gaze.

Later that day, at the Potter B&B, living room.

It’s been a while since Dawson has been watching the kids play around. Lily is sitting with Amy in between her legs, as Alex and Joey are sitting next to them, making a circle and passing a red ball around. Alex doesn’t seem to be enjoying the game that much, though.

“Alex, come here. I wanna show you something,” Dawson says, patting the spot by his side in the sofa, where he has been replying to some emails.

Alex looks up at him with curiosity. Adults hadly ever call to him to show him something. It is more than likely to scold him for something or ask him to bring something or whatever.

“What?” he asks, standing in front of him.

“Come on. Just sit down here,” Dawson insists, and Alex does as Joey, who is being chatted away by Lily in the carpet as they play with Amy, looks at him with curiosity, missing the ball the girls just threw her. Dawson just smiles at her.

“Your aunt told me that you like cars. Is that true?”

Alex shrugs his shoulders and nods his head.

“Come on. Have a look at this,” Dawson says, facing the computer screen to him.

Soon, the expression of the kid changes to a fascinated one.

“Wow! Look at all these cars! Where is that from?”

“Actually, it’s a convention in New York that was held a couple of years ago, and it's more than likely that they will do another one this year or the next one. I thought it would be nice if your aunt and me could take you there. What do you say?”

Alex eyes go wide.

“Are you serious?”

“Of course I am. But I need you to make me a favor first.”

“Sure,” Alex says, nodding his head vigorously.
“It’s about Amy. You know, she is so small, and I think she could use a big brother like you. You know, babies are fun if you give them the chance.” Dawson states as he watches Alex looking at Amy pensive.

“She’s not funny. She can’t even speak. I tried to teach her, but she wouldn’t say a thing.”

“Well, it may take a while, but I’m sure that if you are patient enough, it will come out sooner or later. So what do you say? Do we have a deal?”

Alex shrugs his shoulder and nods his had, now turning to look at Dawson.

“Okay.”

“Okay then,” he smiles and Alex smiles back and walks back to the carpet. This time enjoying the game with a little more enthusiasm.

That is the moment Joey chooses to leave and goes to sit down by Dawson’s side.

“You’ve always been so cute with babies,” she says as she kisses him playfully, and Dawson smiles and mumbles a thank you into her mouth as he kisses her back. “You’re gonna be a great father” she states, and Dawson looks at her funny.

“Do you have something to tell me?” he inquires, raising his brows.

“God no!” she laughs as she nestles herself under his arm. “But what if I did?” she asks, looking at Dawson expectantly.

“Well…” he seems to ponder the question for a moment. “I don’t know if I am ready to be a father just yet, but if there is someone I can picture myself being one with, that someone is you. A little girl with your brown big eyes,” he smiles at her.

“Or a boy with these cute dimples of yours,” she grins, gently poking her finger in his face as one of them shows when his smile grows wider.

“I think we’re gonna have very cute babies,” Dawson states, and Joey agrees. “Someday,”he adds.

“Yeah, someday.”

They sit in silence for a minute before Joey speaks again.

“So... are we gonna talk about it?” she asks.

“I don’t even know what I need to talk about,” Dawson says, his face now more serious.

“Your mother was worried about you and how you might react,” Joey says cautiously.

“I didn’t know I was supposed to react in any particular way.” Dawson says surprised.

“That’s why she requested your help with the coffee?” Joey nods her head, Dawson shrugs his shoulder. “Well, it's her house. Their house now,” he corrects himself, "so they can do with it whatever they want. I just don’t agree with taking away all the old photos, that’s all.”

“You mean your father’s photos,” Joey states softly.

Dawson sighs.

“I understand that she can’t live in the past, holding onto memories of someone when there is no chance them coming back. But I guess it's hard to watch.”

“I know” Joey says, taking his hand. “You’re still this hopelessly romantic kid deep down, aren’t you? The one who believes in never-ending love stories, that goes beyond everything. Just like us.”

“Yeah, I guess it's that,” he smiles at her. “And I guess that it's harder watching it than just knowing that it's happening.”

For a moment, they sit in silence just watching the kids play.

“And how many of them are we gonna have?” Dawson asks all of a sudden. Joey rolls her eyes and laughs.

Outside the Potter B&B.

(“Moments like this” by Alison Krauss starts playing in the background)

The evening is warm and the sky is still blue and clear. We see Alex and Lily coming out of the house and immediately running off together. Joey comes out of the house with a baby stroller, where Amy is happily sitting.

While the dying world re-defines, the reasons we strive to exist
We feign control though we’re bound to learn the meaning of moments like this
Cause in the peaceful hour, the quiet spell
Seduced by the promise of bliss, we soon forget that nothing's happened yet
We're living for moments like this

“Alex, don’t go too far. Wait in there!” she instructs her nephew.

Dawson comes out behind her and closes the door as Joey places the coat tightly around Amy.

Just then, we see a group of people arriving to the spot where Lily and Alex were waiting for Dawson and Joey. They are Jack, Grams, Audrey and Andie. The kids run to Grams and she laughs, patting their heads.

So hold me, whisper gently this is what we live for, how we learn who we are
It defines us, ever reminding us that life never is more precious than this

“Hey, guys,” Dawson greets as he walk near to them, Joey by his side, pushing the stroller.

“Well, here we are,” Jack says, immediately leaning down to catch Amy, who giggles and reaches out her arms for him to get her. Joey unbelts the baby and Jack takes her in his arms, covering her face with sweet kisses.

“How is my baby, huh? How is my baby doing?” he asks softly as Grams reaches out to smooth the baby’s hair.

“We finally decided to stop by the IceHouse to pay a visit to my father.”

From the dim light in the grayness, the aim of the soul tends to miss
When the clouds catch fire and the oceans pitch
We're made for the moments like this

“Sounds good to me,” Jack says as he puts Amy over his shoulders, to the baby’s delight.

“Jack, are you sure that’s okay for her?” Andie asks, concerned.

So hold me, whisper gently that there's nothing to fear
You'll always be near, to remind me, to stand behind me
Although life can be rough we can never give up

“Come on, McPhee, Relax. Your brother knows what he is doing.”

All the heads turn to see Pacey walking towards the group, with Doug following slightly behind.

“Oh shut up, Pacey,” Andie jokes back.

“Hi again” Joey says, smiling at him.

It's in our power to face the storm with all its fury and madness
The flash of thunder roll behind us with a longing and sadness
The clouds will break.

“Hi, everybody,” Pacey laughs,“ planning a party without me?”

“No, Pace. We could never do that” Dawson jokes. “You can smell parties from a thousand miles away,” and everybody laughs.

“Now, those were the days, my friend,” Pacey jokes back.

“So… are we heading to the bar or not? I need some snacks,” Audrey complains.

“No bar, Audrey. No bar,” Pacey lectures her. “A restaurant. And a classy one, mind you.”

“Whatever you say, as long as you have some snacks,” she states, stubborn.

Hold me. Whisper gently this is what we live for, how we learn how we are
It defines us, ever reminding us that life never is more precious than this
Hold me. Whisper gently that there's nothing to fear,
You'll always be near, to remind me, stand behind me

As they all joke, no one but Grams notices the weak smiles Jack and Doug exchange as the sheriff gets closer to his ex-boyfriend to greet Amy, who seems very pleased to see him.

"Hey Doug, I´m glad to see you here" Jack says smiling warmly at him.

"Yeah, me to. Pacey asked me to come" he says, and can´t help a certain tone of acussation in his voice that Jack catches inmediatelly.

"I thought about giving you a call, but I wasn´t sure if you were on duty or not" he says, sounding sincere.

"It´s ok, no problem" he says as he gives a kiss to Amy and retreats to his position by Pacey´s side, leaving Jack´s gaze trail after him..

Soon, they all start walking together, this time Dawson pushing the stroller with Grams on one side, Joey on the other, linking arms with Andie. Audrey is walking by Jack, her attention on the baby, who is making her laugh. Pacey and Doug walk together as well, side by side, as Alex and Lily run ahead, impatient.

They’re just a group of people, enjoying a winter evening in a small east coast town, glad to be around each other in despite of the circumstances that brought them here.

Although life can be rough we can never give up.

CREDITS