Login     Help

7.14 - Little things by Renae, BeatrizRC, Elyse, Rebeca

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Potter B&B.

"Thanks so much for letting me come by," Jack says to Bessie as he, Bessie, and Amy have settled in the sitting room at the Potter B&B.

"Like I said before, Jack, you are more than welcome to come by whenever you like, whether or not you call first. Amy is your child," Bessie insists one more time, as much for him as for herself.

"That's right," Jack says firmly, watching Amy going around the room, walking precariously over her two legs. Audrey chasing her around and making her giggle every now and then. "She is. But I can't begin to thank you enough for what you and Bodie are doing."

"It's my pleasure, really," Bessie smiles at Amy. "Having Amy here has been absolutely wonderful. I was so young and inexperienced when I had Alex that I never really stopped to enjoy the whole baby and toddler phase. I was just so worried about doing everything perfect and making sure that Alex was on track developmentally and emotionally, and that he was eating alright… And of course I was always worried about Joey, or the Ice House, or bills… Now I just wish that I had sat back and enjoyed it more, because I'll never have him so captivated by me again. Now he wants to go and play with his friends more than he wants to hang around with me."

"How much longer do I have before Amy wants to spend more time with her friends than with me?"

"A couple more years," Bessie smiles. "But your little girl has taken a special liking to Alex. She just has trouble keeping up with him and Lilly running around. So she mostly sticks pretty close to me during the day."

"How is she eating?" Jacks eagerly asks Bessie as he opens his arms as Amy toddles over to him.

"Good. Like a horse, really. Bodie made vegetable lasagna last night and I put a little in the food processor for her and Amy just ate it right up. Didn't you?" Bessie coos the last part at a smiling Amy. "And she kept asking for more every time she finished."

"She asked for more?" Jack asks in surprise.

"Oh yes. Only it sort of sounds like 'moo'. But we all know what she's talking about."

"And 'all gone' sounds like 'ahhh gooo', " Jack adds proudly.

"Bodie figured that one out," Bessie continues. "I think he likes having Amy here more than he even lets on."

"Why is that?"

"Because, like me, he missed so much with Alex. He had to spend so much time away working. I think we're both having a lot of fun. So even though this is against your will, and of course it would be better if it wasn’t happening… thank you for giving us a second chance at truly enjoying this stage."

"I always loved it," Jack confesses. "Even the late nights and diaper changes. And now she's developing so rapidly. It's like she's becoming her own little person with preferences and feelings. It's amazing. I just hope that I get to be there for what's to come."

“I hope so as well,” Bessie adds and then quickly turns away, so Jack cannot see her somber expression. Audrey does, though, but she doesn’t know what to do about it.

“Bessie,” Boddie shows up at the living room door. “Hi, guys,” he smiles and waves at them. Jack nods his way and Audrey waves back animatedly. “Bessie, could you come to the kitchen for a moment? I need help with something.”

“Sure. Be right back,” she says to them as she exits the room.

Audrey follows her exit with a pensive expression, then turns to Jack and smiles at the picture of him and the baby. He really seems to glow when he's around her.

“Is just me or does she really look like her mother more and more every day?” she says, touching Amy's cheecks gingerly.

“Oh, yes. She does,” Jack smiles affectionately.

Audrey chuckles and Jack looks at her curiously.

“What?” he laughs along as Amy stands tentatively on her feet and leans on him, trying to reach for something behind him.

“Nothing. I was just… remembering,” she smiles and a distant look appears in her eyes. Then she realizes Jack is looking at her expectantly and she goes on. “Remembering when we met, that night that we were heading to a party, the first day of college.”

“Oh yes! That day,” Jack recalls as well and laughs. “We liked you the moment we saw you. It was love at first sight. Although the same can’t be said of Joey, though. She was horrified when she found out you were joining us,” he laughs.

“Yeah, well, that girl has always been a handful,” Audrey says, and the two of them laugh. “I remember looking at Jen and thinking that she was so tiny, and pretty, and sweet. And then there was you, the fantasy of any girl..the gay’s best friend,” Jack laughs when she says that and Audrey nods her head vigorously. “I’m serious! It’s perfect. No tension, no angst...just confidence and friendship, since you know nothing is gonna happen anyway.”

“Well, actually… we almost did it once.”

Audrey’s jaw drops at this revelation and Jack shrugs his shoulders.

“I loved her, she loved me, we were drunk, alone and feeling sorry for ourselves… but we didn’t. But I look at Amy and I think… If she had asked me to, if she had asked me to be the father of her daughter because she couldn’t find one and she wanted a baby, I would have said yes.”

Audrey places her hand on his knee.

“Well, seems like she found a guy, but not a very good one, so the result is the same. You are the father, Jack. You are.”

Jack smiles softly at her as he lifts Amy in his arms.

A boat in the creek.

Dawson and Joey are in her old rowboat as they make their way across the creek. Dawson is rowing and Joey is sitting across from him, leaning back slightly as she looks at the water.

"This is a lot harder than I remember it being," Dawson says as he rows.

"I offered to help," Joey says with a smile as Dawson continues to row. "But noooo... You let your male pride get in the way."

"My male pride?" Dawson answers somewhat amused. "My male pride?" he questions again as he stops rowing.

"Yes," Joey gives him a slight eye roll. "Your male pride. That or your sense of sentiment. I tried telling you it was too late to row to your house, but you wouldn't listen. We could have been there by now. Plus, I'm starving. Your mom was nice enough to have us over for lunch and now we’re going to be late."

(“Doing fine” by Jewel starts playing in the background)

We are what everyone wants to be
We are young
And carefree
Life's a breeze for people like you and me

"Well, with an attitude like that, we'll never get there."

"Why is that?"

"Because I'm on strike." Dawson lets go of the oars and leans back a little.

"On strike?" Joey repeats skeptically. "It was your idea to take the boat instead of the car ‘for old times sake’ and now you want to leave us stranded in the middle of the creek?" she asks, her eyes open wide.

If you look
Life lays out just like a road
It's for us to grab ahold
There's no one that can tell us no

"I refuse to be verbally assaulted by my own girlfriend during the middle of a romantic gesture." Dawson tries to sound put out but he can’t hide the smile that invades his lips.

"Verbally assaulted?" Joey laughs. "You’re so gonna get it now."

"I sure hope so." He says as she jumps on him and the boat moves dangerously.

So come on, baby
Let's just have fun
Let's breathe stardust into our lungs
Let's drive too fast
Let's go too far
When our hearts bleed it lets us know we are-alive
And that we are-doin' fine

“Oh, wait. You better not,” she exclaims, trying to steady herself as Dawson steadies the boat in the middle of his laughter.

Joey laughs as well and kisses him before going back to her spot.

"Okay, I’m ignoring that for now," Joey says as she carefully leans over and picks up the oars. “But don’t you think I will let it pass.”

We lay down
Look at the sky
From upside down
There's nobody we have 2 be
Let's live fast and see where it leads

Dawson smiles and leans on the boat as Joey begins to row, but she stops after a few moments.

"That is harder than I remember," Joey exhales deeply. "Maybe I should start using that rowing machine at the gym."

"I think I like our newest work out better." He says with a smirk and Joey smirks back.

“You dirty thing,” she says and Dawson laughs.

"Well, guess what? I’m on strike too," Joey says after a while as she puts the oars down and carefully makes her way to Dawson. “At least for a while,” she says as she nestles herself comfortably between Dawson legs, leaning on his chest, his arms going around her.

Let's get lost
In love like wine
Let kisses quench
This thirst of mine
Let me feel the weight of your skin
Pressing in

The two of them sit in comfortable silence, looking out at the creek for a few moments until Dawson finds the courage to mention something that has been on his mind since earlier that day.

"So, uh, Pacey and Andie seem to be getting pretty close again. She's even planning on maybe going to see him."

"Uh, yeah?" Joey keeps her eyes on the creek as her fingers play with Dawson’s. "I guess they are pretty close."

"And that… It doesn’t bother you, does it?"

Joey looks up at him furrowing her brows.

"No, it doesn’t. I’m a little surprised I guess. Curious, not bothered.” She looks over the creek again. “Not like when I found out about you and Gretchen. Or you and Jen… It was always weird to see you with someone else. I never had that feeling with Pacey, though. Don’t know why. But I just never did. And about him and Andie… if anything ever happens between them, I’ll be happy for him. Just like I was happy for him and Audrey back in college,” she remarks, shrugging her shoulders.

"Okay." The relief is evident in both Dawson’s face and voice. "I guess I knew that. I just wanted to hear it."

"You know," Joey looks up at him with a mixture of a half-smirk, half-smile. "If you ask me something like that again, I’ll have to kill you."

So come on, baby
Let's just have fun
Let's breathe stardust into our lungs
Let's drive too fast
Let's go too far
When our hearts bleed it lets us know we are-alive
And that we are-doin' fine

"First verbal assaults and now threats of violence." He jokes “This just keeps getting better, doesn’t it?”

Joey turns in his embrace and leans forward to kiss him, her hand caressing his cheek before going down his neck, Dawson cupping her face.

"And now… would you just shut up and row?" She asks, moving away and sitting down in front of him like she was before.

Dawson fakes a dramatic sigh as he does what she asks. Joey smiles as she looks over the water, to the serene surface of the creek she used to know so well. She reflects on how things have changed, but how it all has been for the best.

Jack’s house.

We see the door of the house being opened from the inside, revealing Jack and behind him, Audrey, just arriving.

“Grams, we’re back!” Audrey shouts as they walk to the living room, where they find Pacey and Andie engaged in an animated conversation.

“I’m gonna see if I can help Grams in the kitchen,” Jack says.

“She just kicked us out” Andie says and Pacey laughs, “but sure, go ahead bro” Andie smiles and Jack waves as he exits.

Audrey settles herself on the sofa in front of Pacey and Andie and they both look at her with interrogative faces, but without saying a word.

Audrey realizes this and makes a weird face, wondering what is going on. She turns around, as if looking for something behind her. Then she turns to Pacey and Andie again and she sighs relieved, smiling with her hand over her heart.

“Wow, for a moment I thought I was going to be abducted by an alien or something, going by the faces you two had while looking at me.”

Pacey just crosses his arms and Andie arcs her brow, neither of them tearing their gaze apart from Audrey. This kind of annoys her.

“Hello!” she exclaims, waving her hand in front of her. “Is anyone in there?”

“Have I ever told you that you’re crazy?” Andie laughs at her comic faces

“Well, thank God there’s still life left in this room.”

“Yeah, and now that you’re here, there’s a lot more things I don’t even have the time and energy to explain and try to understand.” He teases her, thinking that maybe if the ambience is a friendly one, they will be able to make her talk. He is even more worried than he was before, now that Andie has also told him about Audrey’s phone call to her earlier that day.

“Aw. You hurt me, Pace. I bring a little fun to your battered existence and that’s the way you pay me back. Too bad. Ungrateful.”

Andie laughs and says, “I’ll go along with that.”

Pacey looks at the two women with an amused look in his eyes and shakes his head.

” I’m starting to get fed up with this habit of yours.” He says, pretending to be offended. “If I had known you were going to get along this well and, even worse, that you two would always team up against me, I think I would have skipped the introductions.”

“What do you mean?” Audrey asks, looking at him with an innocent look, then looking at Andie, who has a mischievous smile on his face as she looks at Pacey daring him to continue.

“‘This’ I mean. And let me tell you that this is quite funny given the fact you both have pined for me one moment or another. So I guess I should feel flattered or something, shouldn’t I?”

“Give up, Pacey. If you’re suggesting I’m having a thing for you, and I can only speak for myself,“ she says while looking at Andie who just puts a “uh-huh” face, “NO is the answer. No, no, never again. I swear. Pleaseeeee!” Audrey finishes, rolling her eyes.

Andie observes the exchange between the two friends, who don’t even allow her to participate, as if she was in a tennis match. She surprises herself, wondering what kind of couple these two might have been in their past and an amused smile creeps across her face.

“Okay, okay. But that’s not the point of this conversation, anyway.” He looks over at Andie, who nods her head. “What we want is for you to spill.”

“Oh, man!” Audrey fumes. “I told you there’s nothing going on with me. I’m okay. I’m more than okay, actually. I was just having a bad day. Okay, a couple of bad days, but it'll pass.”

“Come on, Audrey. I already poured my heart out to this girl here about how I’m feeling about my job back in New Orleans. This will be like a group therapy.”

“What’s wrong with your job in New Orleans?” Audrey asks, concerned, and forgetting about her own problems for a moment.

“It’s not the job, but my boss. I just don’t think I can work with him much longer if he keeps trying to drag me into situations that I am not willing to be in.”

“Aw, that sucks,” Audrey says, feeling really sorry that things for Pacey aren’t going that great. “And what about you?” she questions Andie, who shrugs her shoulders.

“Nothing really. Despite the lack of free time, I love my job.”

“Can we sue her or something?” Audrey asks to Pacey, dead serious.

“Sadly, I don’t think so,” Pacey says, passing his hand over Andie’s face playfully, Andie pulling the hand away laughing

(‘At your side’ by The Corrs starts playing in the background)

When the daylight's gone and you're on your own
And you need a friend just to be around
Audrey rolls her eyes y sighs with resignation.

“So what am I supposed to do to convince you, suspicious people of Capeside, nothing’s happening to me?”

“I guess you should give me another pair of eyes because what I see is that you’re having problems. Mostly after that little show you put on when I was out there in the car with you this morning. Believe me, Audrey, I wish I could believe that. But I don’t buy it. You’re not here just because. Why did you come back from Europe? And if you wanted to come back, why are you here on the east coast and not in Los Angeles?”

I will comfort you, I will take your hand
And I'll pull you through, I will understand
And you know that

When hearing Pacey´s words, Audrey’s face falls, and the sadness she has been trying to hide is evident in her eyes. Even though there was several feet of distance between them, she could feel his words as if a friendly hand were taking hers. She closes her eyes and thinks that this may be what she really needs, the warm words of a friend who could make her feel well. Pacey and Andie exchange a look as Audrey opens her eyes and looks down at her hands.

I'll be at your side, there's no need to worry
Together we'll survive through the haste and hurry
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone, and you've nowhere to turn
I'll be at your side

Andie stands up and sits on the arm of the armchair where Audrey is sitting. She puts her arm around the girl’s shoulders in a friendly and comforting gesture as her hand plays with the tips of her hair. Audrey looks up at her and smiles weakly, but then her smiles go wide as she realizes that it's not only Pacey, but that there is someone else out there worrying about her.

If life's standing still and your soul's confused
And you cannot find what road to choose
If you make mistakes (make mistakes)
You can't let me down (let me down)
I will still believe (still believe)
I will turn around
And you know that

“I know that we haven’t known each other for a long time, but you’re a part of this group as much as I am. We’re together in this, so I just want you to know that I’ll be there whenever you need someone to talk to. Maybe I can’t help, but I can sure listen. That’s something I can promise.”

“I agree with that statement.” Pacey says as he stands up and walk to the girls. “Give her a little time and she’ll convince you to run for President. God help you.”

Andie glares at him as he laughs, and Audrey smiles at them, shaking her head.

I'll be at your side, there's no need to worry
Together we'll survive through the haste and hurry
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone, and you've nowhere to turn
I'll be at your side

“You asked me before why I came back, Pacey. I guess I was just fed up with playing the perfect girlfriend without getting anything in return. I was with Robert, and I kept telling myself that it was perfect, but it wasn’t.”

“Oh, I know that feeling" Pacey sighs.

“Me too,” Andie intercedes, looking at Audrey and nodding her head, which causes Pacey to look at her, curious to know what, or even better, who, is she talking about. “I guess we all start a relationship with such high expectations. When it starts to crumble down, we just want to keep it going and save it, so we try to convince ourselves that it's going to work. That it was perfect once, and it will be again.”

Andie realizes that Pacey is looking at her and she smiles at him, then turns her attention back to Audrey. Reluctantly, Pacey does the same.

“Yes, something like that. While I was in London, I had, you know, some kind of spiritual revelation straight from the universe out there or something, that made me realize that I couldn’t expect anyone to fill my emptiness. That’s something I had to do on my own. So I decided to leave it all behind and try to have some fun with the original Audrey until that happened. Until I find myself, I mean.”

“Well, it seems like we all are in the same boat when it comes to that,” Pacey mumbles to himself as Audrey keeps on going.

“I remembered how much I loved being on stage, and I thought that maybe I could use some of my parents’ money to pursue my singing career. Because well, after all, that’s what normal people usually do, don’t they? Chase after their dreams?”

I'll be at your side, there's no need to worry
Together we'll survive through the haste and hurry
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone, you've got somewhere to go,
'Cos I'm right there

“Sounds good to me, the part about chasing your dreams. So what’s wrong with that?”

“It’s not what I’m doing, but the way I am doing it. I’m afraid I’m making the same mistakes I always did all over again.”

Both Pacey and Andie look at her with inquiring faces, although Pacey is channelling with her more and more with each passing word she says.

“I’m afraid I have gotten myself into trouble again, and I’m trying to figure out how to solve it.”

“If there is something we can do…” Pacey says, but Audrey stops him with a wave of her hand.

“No, this is something I want to do by myself. Plus, I need to make up my mind before I make any decision.”

“Yeah, sounds familiar to me.” Pacey mumbles once more.

“And then, the other reason why I am here and not in L.A…. it's this whole Jack and Amy situation. I may be wild and everything, but I have a heart. So the answer to your question of why I came to the east coast...it wasn’t only because of my crazy dreams, but also because I decided to stay around my friends for as long as I’m needed.”

I'll be at your side, I'll be right there for you
(Together we'll survive) through the haste and hurry
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone, you've got somewhere to go,
'Cos I'm at your side

“That’s great, Audrey,” Andie says, squeezing her shoulder lightly.

“Just remember that we’re happy to have you here.” Pacey says. “So if you’re having problems, wherever you are and whatever they are, just let us know. I mean, come on! You’re annoying, but we love you, anyway.” Pacey smiles at her.

“Hey!” Audrey protests, but then she smiles. “That was corny, but thanks anyway. If we were in an episode of 'The Creek', we could hear the music playing in the background,” Audrey laughs.

“Yeah, too bad that doesn't happen in real life, so you never know when you’re in a poignant moment of your life,” Pacey jokes.

“Wouldn’t that be great? As soon as you say something significant, or do something that will turn your world upside down, the music plays, so you at least know what you just did,” Andie laughs.

I'll be right there for you
I'll be right there for you, yeah
I'm right at your side

“Somehow I think we do, with or without the music, just the same.” Audrey states.

The three of them look at each other and smile, knowing they are fortunate to have each other’s friendship. Friendships that were born just a few months ago, like Andie and Audrey’s, or friendships that survived the test of time and distance.

“Well kids, lunch is ready,” Grams announces from the door.

The three of them stand up and walk to the door. Grams passes her arm around Audrey’s shoulders and Pacey and Andie follow them, their arms linked, as Audrey starts one of her monologues. Pacey shakes his head and Andie smiles.

The old Leery´s house.

Dawson stands up and places some of the dishes in the dishwasher as Joey, John and Gale take care of the rest. Joey stands next to him and silently rubs the bottom of his back, a gesture that Dawson welcomes. He’s been kind of on edge since they arrived to his old house, and he knows that Joey has noticed.

“Why don’t you guys move to the living room now? I’ll bring the coffee out there,” Gale proposes. “Joey honey, will you help me with that?”

“Sure, Gale,” she replies and she throws a look at Dawson as he is ushered gently out of the kitchen by his stepfather.

“So how are things going in New York? I heard the TV show with Spielberg is about to start filming, right?” John asks as they both arrive to the living room.

“Yeah, in about two weeks, if everything goes as predicted...and I think it will.”

Once again, Dawson is taken aback by the changes that have been made in the living room. The old coffee table is gone, and so is the big picture of the family as it used to be: Gale, new born Lily, him and Mitch taken in the backyard. The furniture has been moved around and there are new frame arts hanging on the wall.

“Sounds great. I bet it's very interesting. Much more interesting than my financial work at the bank.” John tries to joke, but Dawson only gives him a weak smile. He is about to excuse himself to go and help in the kitchen, when he sees the two women enter with the coffee.

“Let me help you,” he says to Joey, whose gaze goes around the room as his did a minute before, and she sends him a knowing look of ‘I noticed too’.

“Joey, I hope that Lily is not causing too much trouble at the B&B, now that your sister and Bodie are taking care of Amy. I really tried to convince her to stay here today, but she refused.”

“Don’t worry Gale. Didn’t I spend the greater part of my life here when I was kid anyway? It’s about time that we returned the favor,” she says, sitting by Dawson’s side and smiling at him for all of the memories.

Gale watches them as her son leans down to place a soft kiss on Joey’s lips.

“By the way, I’m so happy to see you two together. Did I mention that already?”
“Yes, Mom. Like a thousand times while we were having lunch,” Dawson sighs and Joey leans on him, laughing.

“Well, I must say that even though I wasn’t here and I missed all of the drama, Gale updated me and I gotta say, I’m glad you guys finally made up your minds and found your way to each other. I think is great to have someone by your side who truly loves you and inspires you,” he says, throwing a glance at Gale, who smiles at him brightly.

“Yes, it is” Dawson agrees, but his face is pensive, and once again, his gaze diverts to the changes in the room as he feels Joey’s hand squeezing his lightly.

“Okay, so who wants some coffee?” Gale asks brightly.