Login     Help

7.14 - Little things by Renae, BeatrizRC, Elyse, Rebeca

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Potter Bed and Breakfast, Capeside.

We see a car, Dawson’s car, pull out the curve of the B&B. From afar, we see Dawson and Joey taking their seatbelts off as the front door of the Potter’s Bed and Breakfast is opened by Alex.

“Aunt Joey!” he runs to her and hugs her.

“Hey there!” she greets him, smiling as Dawson contemplates them with a smile.

Just then Bessie appears in the front door, carrying Amy in her arms.

“Well, look who’s coming, and not a moment too soon,” she says, bouncing Amy lightly and pointing to Dawson and Joey. She smiles, hiding her face at Bessie´s neck as she sucks at her thumb, then peering over her little shoulder and smiling again before hiding one more.

“Hey, you!” Dawson says, with a soft voice as he walks to her and takes her from Bessie’s arms, lightly tickling her in the process and making her giggle. “How are you, pretty one?” he asks, emulating a baby voice, Joey, who is coming behind him with Alex under her arm laughs.

“Cute voice, Dawson.”

Dawson just turns around and smiles at her as she approaches the baby.

“Hi there, little Amy,” she coos and Dawson laughs.

“Nice voice, Joey.”

“Hey, you two are finally here,” Mike exclaims as he exits the house and places a kiss on Joey’s cheek while hugging her.

“Dad, where are you going now?” she asks as Mike shakes Dawson’s hand and pats his shoulder.

“Where else? The Ice House. I just came home to get something I forgot earlier,” he says as he ruffles Alex’s hair and jogs down the stairs. “Will you two come and visit later? I think you got some things to tell me.” He smiles at them brightly.

Dawson smiles back while Amy is busy with the zipper on his coat, and Joey nods her head to her father.

“We will. I promise,” she smiles as Mike enters the car and waves.

“Well you two, I think we better get inside,” Bessie says, waving back at Mike.

“Yes, Aunt Joey. Let’s go inside,” Alex says, tugging at her hand.

Bessie and Dawson, still holding Amy, follow her, and we see Lily exiting the kitchen with a pancake in her hand.

“Dawson!” she exclaims, running to Dawson and hugging his waist as Dawson rumbles her hair.

“Did you ask for permission before taking that?” Dawson gently scolds her.

“Yes, I did,” Lily says half offended. “Bodie gave it to me.”

“Okay then,” he says as he watches her grabbing Alex´s shirt. “Alex, let’s go outside to look for some…”

“No, I prefer to stay here,” he says, clutching at Joey’s hand, causing Joey to exchange a look with Bessie. And even Dawson, who is doing some baby talk with Amy looks at the boy out of the corner of his eye. Lily just rolls her eyes.

(Music of the credits start playing)

“You’re so ridiculous, Alex. You’ve been ridiculous since Amy came to this house.”

“I have not!” Alex protests.

“Okay, okay kids. Enough. Don’t start fighting now that Joey and Dawson just arrived, okay?”

Lily shrugs her shoulders and exits the place. After a couple of seconds, Alex follows her with an annoyed expression. Now that the kids are out of sight, Bessie sighs.

“She’s right,” Bessie says. “He’s been impossible since we brought Amy to the house. Maybe you guys can talk to him or something? I’ve tried everything, but it's just not working. He even got mad when he found out that Bodie and I were going out tonight for dinner.”

“Oh… still in the honeymoon?” Joey teases her sister, who blushes lightly and smiles at her.

“More or less.”

“What about Dad? Can’t he baby-sit them?” Joey asks, curious.

“He is working until late at the Icehouse tonight. He is so into it, and so totally happy with it. Well, you just saw him. I swear I have never seen him like that. Maybe when I was a kid, and everything was still… good, you know?” Bessie says.

“I know, and I’m happy for him. For all of us,” Joey says, looking at Dawson, who smiles at her warmly, knowing how much truth these words hold.

“Well, it's fine with me to baby-sit the kids,” Dawson says, looking at Bessie and then back at Joey for approval. She nods her head.

“Yeah, sure. We can do that,” Joey agrees, wrapping her arms around Dawson’s waist and poking out her tongue at Amy, who laughs. .

“Perfect then,” Bessie smiles.

CREDITS

Pacey´s apartment, New Orleans.

Pacey puts his duffel bag down in the doorway and turns off a lamp on his end table. Quickly he makes sure that everything is unplugged and shut off before he leaves.

Before Pacey leaves, he gives his apartment one last look. This was supposed to be his fresh start, a new beginning. But now - now he's found himself stuck in another uncomfortable situation. Between being inadvertently caught in Brecher's adulterous relationship and being so far away from everyone he loves, Pacey has found himself increasingly disillusioned with the life he is living. This wasn't what he had in mind when he accepted Danny's offer.

“Maybe things will improve in the few days I’m gone. Maybe while I’m at Capeside, Brecher will rethink the situation and won’t try to pull me into something I don’t want to do anymore,” he says out loud to the empty room.

Although deep down, he doubts it.

After a moment of hesitation, Pacey pulls his cell phone out of his pocket and dials quickly. Before it can even ring Pacey presses the 'end call' button and dials again, this time a different number.

"Andie?" he says as he walks out of his apartment and shuts the door behind him.

"I'm not bothering you at work, am I?"

"Cool. Good to know."

"I was going to call Jack and tell him I was on my way but for some reason I thought I would call you instead."

"No, I couldn't tell you why, my mind works in mysterious ways. Or maybe it's just your lucky day."

"Cute, McPhee. Real cute,” he says at Andie’s retort at the other side of the line.

Pacey smiles as he takes the steps leading outside two at a time.

"I know. You'll have to come visit me someday soon. Assuming you could get the time off. I'll take you to Cafe DuMond."

"Yeah, that's the place I was telling you about, the one with the beignets. They know me by name now. They also have some innovative ideas over there that I would like to try someday."

As Pacey readjusts his duffel bag, he sees that the cab has just pulled up.

"Well, it looks like my ride is here, so I guess I'll see ya later."

“Yeah, right where we said last week. I got your address.”

"Right, later McPhee."

And the last thing we see is Pacey getting in the cab.

Later that day, outside Jack’s House, Capeside.

Andie drives up to Jack’s house, but this time doesn’t honk the horn announcing her arrival. She sits and stares at the house for a moment, thinking of all that has happened in such a short period of time. Her mind is not only on Amy these days but also Jen, of course. She always comes back to her mind whenever she visits the place.

The day before Jen’s death, she and Jen had a long talk. They talked about Jen’s wishes for Amy and about Jack adopting her. Jen said Andie would make a great aunt, and since she heard her saying those words, she couldn’t wait to become one even though in some way she already was. She also remembers Jen’s words, ‘He’s going to need all of you to help him with Amy’ . Andie stares off space as she thinks about how true these words were, more than even Jen would ever get to know. ‘Since I don’t think that Jen was referring to what is happening now’, she thinks.

Andie takes a deep breath, then gets out of the car and couldn’t help but to feel better when she thought of how she and Jack had come to this town in rather dismal circumstances, and how out of that came some of her most cherished memories and friendships that would last a lifetime. Or she hopes so, at least.

“Hey! Anyone home?” Andie asks loudly coming in through the front door.

Jack smiles at Grams, hearing Andie in the foyer. As they both come out of the kitchen to greet Andie, she puts her luggage down as they both go to hug her at the same time, Grams finally letting Jack have the first hug. As Jack pulls back from hugging Andie, she can see the prints that the tension has left in his face.

“Everything is going to be okay,” she states softly then goes to hug Grams.

“Well, at least I feel better now that you’re here,” he smiles at her. “Here, let me have your bags,” Jack reaches for her luggage, only to have Andie stop him.

“I can do that,” she says as Jack stands back up for a minute.

“No problem. It’ll give me something to do,” Jack smiles at her once more, and Andie nods.

“Okay, just don’t drop the big one. It has a present in it for Amy. Among other things,” she adds with a tinkle in her eyes.

Jack stares at Andie as a grin spreads over his face as she knew it would hearing these words. “Don’t worry. I won’t,” he says as he walks away, carrying Andie’s luggage.

“So, how is he?” Andie whispers to Grams once Jack is out of sight.

“He’s holding up pretty well, and I’m sure that having everybody around this weekend will help him even more. It means a lot to him. To us,” she softly smiles at Andie. “So, how was your trip?” Grams asks, hoping to change the subject if only for a moment.

“It was good. Just wishing that it had been for a happier reason,” she answers. “Pacey came with me, but we parted ways as he had to stop by the Icehouse and by the Witter’s first. He will be here for lunch, though. No doubt about that.” She laughs affectionately thinking about Pacey, and so does Grams. Truth is, she is happy to have him back in her life on a regular basis, their friendship growing stronger everyday, even if just through endless conversations over the phone on alternative days.

“Well, you know this may sound odd, but this is a happy occasion in some way. All of you children getting together again like you used to,” Andie watches Grams expression and can’t help but to nod her head and agree.

“So what’s this?” Jack asks, returning to where Grams and Andie are standing.

“What are you doing with that?” Andie looks at Jack with one hand on her hip, although she knows perfectly well what he is doing, but thinks that she will just play the old game until the end.

“Uh...well,” Jack smiles widely, looking from Andie to Grams, until the two siblings finally burst out laughing.

“He used to always do this,” she explains to Grams. “He’d always go through our parent’s luggage when they got home from trips that they would take when we were younger. Mom or Dad would ask us to carry their bags and be careful because they had important items in them.”

“Among other things,” they both say in unison as they laugh again.

“It’s kind of odd to think that I’m the one trying to keep a family together now.”
Then he looks at Andie, silently asking if he can open it, and she nods. Jack rips into the package that is wrapped to find a keychain that says Boston on it, with Amy’s picture placed inside a heart. He smiles and a moment of silence follows.

“Are you hungry?” Grams asks.

“Actually, I’m starved. I haven’t eaten much today.”

“How is everything at the hospital?” Jacks asks as they all begin to walk into the kitchen.

“Oh, where do I start from?” Andie laughs as the three of them go into the kitchen.

In a street of New York.

Audrey’s face is contorted as she tries to understand the person’s thinking that she is talking to.

“No, I don’t understand,” she yells into the phone, waving it in to the air for a moment and then bringing it back to hear ear, making odd faces at the phone as the people pass her by. “You told me that it would be today, and now you’re delaying it with stupid excuses again. Who do you think I am?”

She tries to interrupt several more times to state her opinion but alas she is unsuccessful, which frustrates her more than anything in the world, when someone won’t let her express her opinion. So before hanging up, she loudly states into the phone.

“Let’s see how you like this,” she closes her cell phone, ending the call.

(“Unwell” by Matchbox 20 starts playing in the background)

All day staring at the ceiling
Making friends with shadows on my wall
All night hearing voices telling me
That I should get some sleep
Because tomorrow might be good for something

She paces back and forth, mumbling various words, none of which are audible to the people around her. Looking down at her cell phone, she opens it and begins to push buttons to go through her saved phone numbers. She comes across the most recent phone number that has called and begins to mumble once again. Continuing to scroll rather aimlessly through the numbers to take her mind off of things, she sees a phone number and begins to dial. Then she changes her mind, not wanting to burst Joey’s bubble of happiness now that she is in Dawsonland once and for all. She then sees another telephone number in her list, smiles, then begins to dial.

“Hello?” The voice on the other end of the phone says.

Hold on
Feeling like I'm headed for a breakdown
And I don't know why

“Andie, it's Audrey,” she states rather simply, which is not exactly Audrey’s normal greeting and Andie senses it.

“Audrey, are you okay?” Andie listens to Audrey breath rather heavily and she can hear her shoes click against the pavement as she continues to pace.

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me

“Well you see...well, it's just…” Audrey shakes her head then closes her eyes, taking a deep breath. “Can you meet me somewhere?” Audrey asks.

“Oh, Audrey, I’m in Capeside helping out Jack with Amy. I’d help you out in second if I was where I could. Can we talk about it on the phone?” Audrey ponders this for a moment.

“I can’t really think straight right now. Let me call you back,” Audrey begins to take the phone away from her ear but then hears Andie yell rather loudly.

“Audrey! Audrey!”

She puts the phone back up to her ear.

“Can you stop yelling now,” she says rather annoyingly, causing Andie to become quiet. Audrey closes her eyes and curses under her breath, “I’m sorry. I’m just rather annoyed right now and you don’t deserve to get yelled at.”

Andie’s face softens as she hears her apology.

“Audrey, there’s no need to apologize. You're upset, angry, annoyed or whatever and I’m sure that if we talk about it, I can help you.”

I'm talking to myself in public
Dodging glances on the train
And I know, I know they've all been talking about me
I can hear them whisper
And it makes me think there must be something wrong with me
Out of all the hours thinking
Somehow I've lost my mind

Audrey listens, remembering a time when she found out that Pacey had dated Jack’s sister and was curious to know what Pacey would say about her. One characteristic that Pacey said was that she had a big heart always willing to help people, and maybe that was the reason she had called Andie at this moment.

“Audrey, did you hear me?” She realizes that Andie has continued to talk as she was in her own world of thoughts.

I've been talking in my sleep
Pretty soon they'll come to get me
Yeah, they're taking me away

“Andie, I’m coming to Capeside,” she states clearly. “It’ll be interesting to see everyone. A reunion of the Capesiders,” she creates an echoing effect with her voice which causes Andie to laugh.

“The Capesiders? Now that is an interesting term. Although I guess that is what we are. Or were... minus one,” her voice trails off rather quickly causing a lull in the conversation.
“Well, I didn’t mean to…” she stops abruptly in mid sentence.

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be

“Oh, I know. It is just with this situation with Amy it seems to magnify the fact that Jen is gone. Not that it wasn’t already that way but...it does seem like so much more now. And you know what? Compared to that, my problems don’t seem to hold too much weight,” Audrey ponders as she is now thinking about that cute little girl that she can’t wait to see. “Well, you know I was planning on heading your way so, I’ll just get there a lot sooner than I’d planned.”

Andie hears her voice change. It is now upbeat and she begins to sound more like Audrey. She is left wondering what was bothering her so much, but as Audrey changed the subject, so does she.

Yeah, how I used to be
How I used to be
Well, I'm just a little unwell

“Where are you going to stay while you are here?” Andie asks.

"I hadn’t really thought about it. Guess, I’ll let you all fight over me once I get there.”
Audrey and Andie both laugh and some of the tension seems to have dissipated.

“It’ll be great to see you again,” Andie says.

How I used to be
How I used to be

“Yeah. You too,” Audrey echoes the sentiment. “I really like you,” she states simply, in that honest way she has always had of speaking her mind, and Andie laughs.

“Call me when you get here,” Andie hears Jack call for her as does Audrey.

“I’ll do that. See you soon, Andie. And say hi to Jack for me.”

I'm just a little unwell

Andie isn’t able to respond as Audrey has hung up. Audrey stares at her cell phone and then we see her walking, with a new bounce in her step, down the street.

Jack’s house in Capeside

“This is just not right,” Joey states as she gets out of the car, walks a few steps and stops abruptly turning towards the driver’s side of the car. “We’re not supposed to go to my house to see Amy and then come to Jack’s house and she isn’t here.”

Dawson gets out of the car and comes around to the passenger side just standing next to her. He takes her hand and her expression softens as they both lean on the steel of the vehicle.

“You’re right, Jo. This isn’t fair, but we’re here to do what we can which granted isn’t much but…” his voice trails off and she looks at him rather concerned.

“But we are here given the fact that we all live in different places and we are all here helping Jack and Grams get through this,” she finishes the phrase for him and he smiles softly leaning in to kiss her softly. “And,” Joey begins, “there is no way that Amy is going to grow up with any other dad but Jack. I know how it is growing up in a family where you have your father one minute and he is taken away from you the next, and how that can do some serious damage to your psyche, especially when your mother has passed away. And Amy doesn’t even have a big sister.” Dawson looks at her a bit concerned. He hadn’t realized until that very same moment how Amy’s situation was somehow similar to the one Joey had gone through in her own life. Joey sees that he understands what she is saying by the look that he is giving her.
“Yeah, I know. Kinda scary, right? I hadn’t realized how similar the situation was, to some extent, either. I’ve dealt with all of that, but I just don’t want anyone else to have to go through what I did, especially if I can do something...anything to prevent it from happening.”

“Well, then far be it for anyone to stop Joey Potter on her mission,” Dawson nudges her as he reaches out his hand for her and they begin to walk up to the front door of Jack’s house. “I love it when you are determined,” he whispers to her ear as she smiles and lifts his arm to place it around her shoulders, leaning her head on him.

Joey reaches up to ring the doorbell but before she can do so, Andie, who was passing through the living room, looked out the front window just in time to see Dawson and Joey approach the front door. With a big smile, Andie opens the door before either could push the button.

Andie stands in the doorway for a split second, looking from Dawson to Joey and then gives both of them a hug, all of them with smiles on their faces, despite the circumstances.

“I’m so happy to see you here,” Andie says.

Grams, who hears the front door being opened, goes to see who is there. She smiles softly and begins to step back ever so slightly, but not before Dawson notices her presence, so he moves forward, reaching his arms out to hug her gently as well. They all stand there in silence, just enjoying each other’s comforting presence.

The silence is broken by Jack, who appears between Andie and Grams. “You know, they might want to come inside,” he looks at Andie then Grams, and the four disentangle from the embrace, laughing at the unpredictable intense moment, just so Joey can hug Jack tightly.

“Hi there, you,” she says softly as Dawson pats his back.

“Thanks for coming, you guys,” Jack says sincerely as Grams closes the door and hushes them to the kitchen. "Especially now that I’m sure you have better things to do,” Jack teases them as Joey links her arm to Dawson’s. They just look at each other, smiling but saying nothing.

“Oh, yes. We can not let this moment pass without commenting that finally you guys, the proverbial will they, won’t they, finally made it. So how was this road trip that the two of you took?” Andie asks enthusiastically. “Rumor has it that you two had an interesting time in an outdoor jacuzzi.”

“Oh, Andie!” Grams scolds her, half laughing-half scandalized, although it’s been a long time since she got used to comments like this. But still.

“Andie!” Joey exclaims right at the same time Grams does, faking shock and surprise, while Dawson just chuckles. Andie laughs and continues to chat with Joey as they enter the kitchen and Dawson puts his arm around Grams and squeezes Jack’s shoulder in a friendly gesture.

A few minutes later, sitting around the kitchen table drinking coffee, everyone is engaging in various conversations with each other. Dawson watches as Jack gets up from the table and goes from the breakfast nook back into the kitchen.

“Are you alright?” Dawson asks, standing behind Jack.

Jack places his hands on the counter to steady himself, then slowly begins to make another pot of coffee, as if trying to find the right way to express his thoughts.

“It comes and goes. Sometimes I’m full of optimism and other times it just won’t come,” he pauses for a second. “Ever felt like your whole world has just crumbled?”

Jack turns around to see a serious expression on Dawson’s face.

“Actually, yeah. I do believe I’ve felt that emotion more than once in my life.”

He glances over at Joey, who right at that moment as if sensing his eyes on her, looks at him and smiles. Jack watches as Dawson smiles back at her, then he looks back at him, and Jack nods his head.

“Yeah, I guess you have been there. And we were with you, right?” Jack asks and

Dawson smiles gently at his friend.

“In the end, it wasn’t such a bad summer. With you, Andie, and… Jen,” Dawson adds softly the name of their lost friend. It seems like centuries since then, recalling the laughter and her blond hair under the sun in the beach that summer, and how the four of them grew closer than they ever were before.

(“Where are you now?” by Jim Brickman starts playing in the background)

“I’m so angry,” suddenly Jack’s eyes show the pain that he is experiencing, as he is also remembering the past...the happy days, but also, the promise he made.

Dawson leans against the counter.

“What can we do?” Dawson asks, hoping that there is something that he can actually do beyond all the words. “You were there for me, and I wanna be here for you as well. We all do,” he says, motioning to the people sitting at the table.

“Actually, I’m going to New York next week to see my lawyer.”

“Well, that’s great. So if you need a place to stay, help getting around New York, anything you need... Actually, you know what, why don’t you stay with us? With me. With us. Well, I mean, Joey spends a lot of nights there, so…”

Jack watches as Dawson try to make up his mind on what he is trying to say, and can’t help but smile.

“Dawson,” Jack stops him laughing softly, “it’s okay. And thanks,” Jack says and smiles at him.

“No problem. You can stay as long as you want. I’ve got plenty of room in that big loft of mine. Or I used to, before Joey kinda took over,” he laughs.

Jack nods his head understanding as the beep sounds on the coffee pot signals that it is done.

“Just let me know when you get there,” Dawson says, patting his back one last time before he goes back to sit down next to Joey at the table.

Jack stands for a moment just watching the people that are sitting at his kitchen table then glances upwards before joining them once again.

Outside Jack´s house.

Pacey climbs the stairs of the front porch slowly. Lately, coming back to Capeside is becoming kind of a habit, and he is not sure of how he feels about it. On one hand, going back Capeside, the safe place he has always known is becoming so comfortable about it that it frightens him. He smiles weakly and he reflects about it and shakes his head.

“You’re getting old, Pacey” he thinks to himself. “Years ago, this little town never deserved big compliments in your opinion, did it? But now you gotta admit, you owe her a few things.” But on the other hand, every time he comes back, he also feels as if he is missing something out there.

“These days I can’t even make up my mind about Capeside. Go figure.” he mumbles to himself.

As he is about to ring the bell of the door, the sound of a car entering the front path can be heard, the breaks of the car causing a lot of noise. Pacey is starting to turn around and see what’s going on, when a feminine voice he knows way too well can be heard almost yelling.

“Shit!!”

Pacey smiles at the comical scene of a really mad Audrey closing the car door violently and then crossing her arms over her chest, looking at him intensely.

“Hi there, Audrey.”

“So tell me Pacey, am I right or am I not?” she exclaims, fire burning in her eyes “You turn on the engine…”

Pacey nods his head.

“I put the car in gear.”

“Yep” he nods.

“And voilá!. The car moves!” she exclaims as she applauds vigorously in a somehow comic gesture, trying be ironic at the same time.

“Yeah, that seems to be the general rule in these cases, yeah” he can’t help but nod and try to hide his amusement.

“Well, if so, show me the way! Enlighten me!. Why can’t I make this damn car to move so I can park it??”

Pacey walks up to her and sighs.

(“My friend”, by Anouk, starts playing in the background)

“Come on. Get in the car, you nuts,” he says as he opens the co driver’s door and Audrey does as he requested.

What's the matter my friend
Can't you tell me why
You say there's nothing on your mind
Please stop telling lies

Once inside, she takes a deep breath and looks at him with a remorseful face.

“I’m sorry. I have had a really bad day.”

“It’s okay. I have had plenty of those. Remember who you’re talking to: the official loser of town. That’s who I used to be.”

As long as you're lying
I can't ease your mind

And Audrey smiles as she settles herself more comfortably in her seat, feeling a little more less tense now, her hands resting on the steering wheel.

“Come on. Show me what you can do,” he says, a defiant but funny look in his eyes, spreading his legs and leaning on the seat.

“Ha, ha. You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?”

“Just shut up and drive” Pacey says, laughing as she makes a face and turns on the engine, lightly pressing the accelerator of the car, but this doesn’t move.

No sense in hiding
It's all in your eyes
No need to hide
Can't tell me lies
No sense in hiding
It's all in your eyes

“Damnit!!” she exclaims, pushing harder not giving Pacey chance to protest, as the car starts to move. “Finally!”

“Audrey, stop!”

And she does, so abruptly that Pacey bumps his head to the back of the seat and rolls his eyes.

“What’s wrong now?” Audrey asks, slightly annoyed.

Cause I ain't happy man
'till I see you smile
'till I see the spark back in your eyes
And I can tell you why

“Can’t you smell it?” Pacey asks.

“Smell what?” and she starts to sniff the air to see what he is talking about.

“You burnt it.”

“I what?” she asks, her eyes open wide.

“You burnt it. That’s what happens when you try to drive with the handbrake on.

Audrey covers her mouth with her hand as she throws her head back, closing her eyes tight.

As long as you're smiling
I'll hit a high

Pacey starts to laugh, teasing her.

“These stupid car makers. They have no idea of what they’re doing,” he says, waiting for her witty comeback.

But it doesn’t come, Audrey just sighs and twists her mouth in a tight smile.

What's the matter baby
What's the matter baby
What's the matter now
Cause I ain't happy
Unless I see you smile

“Audrey, are you okay?" Pacey asks concerned, leaning to her side and placing a hand on her back.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she says, straightening up and exiting the car. “Let’s just leave the stupid car here and go inside. They may be wondering where we are,” she finishes the phrase as she closes the door.

Unless I see you smile

Pacey looks at her, still concerned, but exits the car in silence.

Jack’s kitchen.

We see Dawson, Joey, Andie and Jack sitting around the kitchen table with some snacks on it as they chat animatedly, but their conversation is soon interrupted.

"Hey everybody!" Audrey calls as she and Pacey make their way into the kitchen. "We're here!"

"As if there was any doubt," Jack smiles as he stands up and gives Audrey a big hug.

"You love me and you know it," Audrey says with a smile as she hugs him back, both swinging lightly from one side to the other, rocking each other.

"No argument there." Jack laughs.

"Pace," Jack shakes his hand and they hug briefly. "You sure came a long way. Thanks, man."

"Well, this is where I need to be," Pacey shrugs at Jack's comment. He doesn't want to get into a discussion about his situation in New Orleans, especially when Jack might not even know about it. Not from him at least. And not when more important things are happening with Amy. He has also caught Dawson and Joey holding hands under the table right before his eyes drifted to Andie. Not that it surprised him, though.

"Witter," Andie comes up and gives Pacey a hug, even though they drove all the way down to Capeside together in her car. "You must be racking up the air miles. You'll have to let me use them when I come up and see you. I'm thinking Mardi Gras."

"Mardi Gras?" Pacey says as he finally lets go of Andie. "No way, McPhee. I've seen you intoxicated. There is no way I can condone you and I celebrating a holiday together that requires you flashing your goods to all of New Orleans. Not gonna happen."

"I'm not planning on flashing anything," Andie says with a slight blush as she elbows him. "The last time you saw me drink, I was sixteen. And that whole episode senior year doesn't count. I can totally handle my liquor now. Dawson made an ass of himself the night of his birthday too, and I bet that he doesn't do stupid things every time he gets drunk."

"Actually," Dawson says as he stands up and approaches them. "I still do. Which is why I usually try to avoid drinking too much. Right, Joey?" he can hardly let out the last words as Audrey is enveloping him in a bear hug.

"True," Joey laughs as she sees Dawson practically being squeezed into Audrey’s arms. “Okay, Audrey, stop it. You’re gonna hurt my boyfriend!” she exclaims, then she sends a quick glance to Pacey, realizing she just said that out loud and hoping he is okay with it and with finding about it this way. So…in public.

For a moment the silence, an expecting and tense silence, fills the room. All of them had been expecting Dawson and Joey to go back to each other as they always did since the moment they both were free. But knowing and seeing the facts are two different things, and as everyone involved in the proverbial triangle is faced with one another in yet another round of resolution, everyone holds their breath.

"Dawson," Pacey says, walking to him and shaking his hand. "How have you been?"

"Good," Dawson smiles. "Busy with work, but good. How 'bout you?"

"I'm doing alright. Working a lot, as we all seem to do. But that’s a good thing, I think. What are you up to these days?" he asks as Dawson steps aside making room for Joey, who had just been released from another one of Audrey’s wild embraces.

"Nothing too interesting," Joey can't help but smile as she gives Pacey a quick hug. "The same story...working a lot."

"Well. Now that the brief moment of tension is gone, for which I am really proud of you guys, I think Andie has a great idea," Audrey breaks in as several rolling of eyes and shakes of heads happen when she says that. Same old Audrey. "Mardi Gras would be a blast."

"Oh no," Pacey protests. "Absolutely not. There is no way I can handle the two of you down there." He says as he realizes that Audrey just invited herself, but glad, on the other hand, to see that her mood has improved since they left the car.

"Oh, I think you could handle us," Audrey says with a wicked smile as they all settle down around the table once again.

"I'm only one man,” Pacey matches Audrey's smile and slightly shakes his head.

"You're probably right," Andie says with a frown. "I don't even think I could get away for Mardi Gras. I don't exactly have a lot of leeway with my schedule or a lot of vacation days. As it is, I've had to beg, borrow and steal the time off I've gotten so far."

"Begged, borrowed and stole," Pacey says with a slight raise of his eyebrow, lightly pushing her shoulder with his.

"Well begged anyway," Andie says with a shrug. "But it's been good for me to get out of the hospital. After a while, that place becomes my whole world. But don't you think I've forgotten about Café DuMond."

"Like I would let you."

As Andie and Pacey continue their conversation, Joey can't help but look back and forth between Andie and Pacey, mentally scrutinizing the situation. An action not lost on Dawson, who is also curious. The two of them seem awfully… friendly and… flirtatious. But then again, Audrey is in the mix of things right along with them.

"You know," Pacey continues, "if you two really want to visit New Orleans there are a lot of other things we could do."

"Like?" Audrey asks with a smirk.

"Plantation tours, the aquarium, mass at St. Peter's…"

"Are you going to put us up in a convent, too?"

"Don't temp me."

"I don't want to see churches. I want to see the Big Easy!"

"There's a joke there," Jack interrupts. "But it's way too obvious."