Login     Help

7.09 - Surrounded by BeatrizRC, Jessica, AnneG

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Witter’s house

Gretchen is carrying Amy, tickling her sides and laying soft kisses on her cheek as she walks into the Witter living room. The dishes are finally finished. She pauses for a moment and takes in the scene before her, smiling to herself. There is Doug and her father, sitting side by side and chatting, trying to move past the uneasiness and the awkwardness that was there earlier. They are getting along better than they were an hour ago, she thinks.

Looking over to the side, she notices Jack, Grams and Mrs. Witter chatting, going through old photo albums, no doubt so that Jack can embarrass Doug later on. However, the smile on Jack’s face seems to be a sad one and when she catches him throwing glances at Doug, she wonders what is going on.

Watching them for a moment, she shifts her gaze again and notices Pacey and Andie sitting on the loveseat, chatting and laughing like old friends. Contemplating whom she should join, Gretchen catches Pacey's eye and he motions silently for her to join them, even pulling a chair up for her. For a moment, the entire Witter family is getting along and not fighting or arguing about something. Which so rarely happens.

"Here, Gretchen. Take a load off and join in the game of ‘Pass The Baby’." Pacey laughs, making a funny face at Amy, who giggles happily.

"Oh, it’s my turn for that," Andie giggles, taking Amy from Gretchen even though Pacey had stretched his arms to take her.

"You’ve been with her the entire evening. So now, it's my turn," she says, getting a dirty look from Pacey that she graciously ignores. She lightly bounces Amy on her lap. "You are such a pretty baby girl, aren’t you?" she comments. Amy continues to giggle and touch Andie’s face lightly.

"Be careful, Andie! Think about how much that little princess ate for dinner. How imagine how much spit up could end up on that cashmere sweater on yours," Pacey laughs, noticing Andie stop immediately and she laughs slightly.

"Well then, I think I should make sure that doesn’t happen," Andie says softly, raising her eyebrows and steadying Amy in her arms before walking quickly back into the kitchen to get a towel.

"I like her. Although the memories I have of her are not that good. You know, the whole ecstasy thing," Gretchen says, watching Pacey's expression. He groans.

"God, what an awful night that was. She scared the hell out of me and even made me feel… guilty," he says, with a contemplative look in his face.

"And why was that?" Gretchen inquires.

"I don’t know. Because I was with Joey. Because she was alone," Pacey says while waving one his hands in the air, not really knowing how to express it. "Looking back, I know she made the right decision when she decided to leave." There is a pause as he thinks over this. "And yeah, I guess in some aspects, she’s still the same old Andie. But in other aspects, she seems to have changed a lot. But haven’t we all?" Pacey sighs, catching his sister's gaze. "So, big sis, are you going to tell me, your favorite brother, why you’re here? Or do I get to play 20 questions?"

"It’s the holidays, Pacey. And this dysfunctional group, for better or worse, is our family. And the two, they kind of go together," Gretchen says, half lying.

"Really? Well if that’s true that’s super, Gretch. But I thought it might have had something to do with a phone call I got while I was in New York not too long ago," Pacey inquires, watching intently the look on her face to see if he’s right.

"Well, you’re partially right there, little brother. But it’s the holidays and I don’t really want to get into it right now, if you don’t mind," Gretchen says softly, looking around to make sure no one else has heard them.

"Okay. I won’t push but I want you to know that what you tell me stays with me. I’m not going to run off to Mom, Dad or Doug and rat you out," Pacey whispers, seeing her nod quickly.

"I just want a bit of peace. Just for now," Gretchen sighs.

"You definitely came to the wrong place if you want that," Pacey laughs, leaning back in his chair. "See, you’re fortunate enough be surrounded by one of the craziest families I know. So if you’re looking to ease your mind, I would go elsewhere."

"Well, they’ve seen me and I’ve eaten with them so I think escaping right now isn’t an option," Gretchen says, trying not to laugh.

"True, true. You’re in the Witter ‘inner circle’ now. Run away as fast as you can!" Pacey jokes, enjoying the sound of his sister’s laugh.

"Speaking of personal issues, how are you, little brother? How’s life without a certain brunette?" Gretchen asks hesitantly, not wanting to disrupt the peace in the Witter household.

"Ah, fine. Good, actually...professionally speaking," Pacey smiles. "Work is good, busy and exciting. I just offered Mike Potter a job, actually."

"Really? Any subtext in that move?" Gretchen asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope, strictly business…well, mostly business," Pacey admits. "It has nothing to do with Joey or wanting to get back with her. It’s just reaching out to help someone who could use a break and deserves a chance."

"Well, that’s very noble of you, Pacey," Gretchen says with affection, patting his shoulder.

"Yeah, well, I do nice things every once in awhile," he smiles, watching his sister roll her eyes.

"Typical Pacey," she sighs, taking in the peaceful sight again in front of her. "This is kind of nice, though, isn’t it?" she asks.

"Yeah, for once, it really is. No fighting, yelling or people being pissed off. I think I could get used to this!" Pacey exclaims with a satisfied smile.

"Me too," Gretchen whispers, looking over at Pacey, who extends his hand to her and she accepts, just sitting in the moment together, enjoying the tranquil family setting.


A montage of different images…

And so…another chaotic, eventful (but not boring) Thanksgiving ends.

(‘I Don’t Know Why’, by Norah Jones starts playing in the background)

Grams is thanking Mrs. Witter for the invitation as Andie kisses Mr. Witter on the cheek, and he smiles, dumbfounded. Pacey laughs and gathers her up in a bear hug, smiling broadly into her shoulder. Andie is wearing the exact same expression.
Jack and Doug leave the house, walking close together, although they’re not talking. They suddenly turn back as someone is calling for them. Gretchen throws her arms around both of them from behind and smiles at them as they walk to their car. Pacey and Andie leave arm-in-arm with Grams, who is cradling an almost asleep Amy against her chest.

I waited 'til I saw the sun
I don't know why I didn't come
I left you by the house of fun
I don't know why I didn't come
I don't know why I didn't come

At the Leery's, Audrey is the first one out the door, fluffing her hair out over her scarf, then walking out to her car. Gale calls out and Audrey turns around, catching her car keys that Gale throws. She shrugs and John laughs.
Lily waves enthusiastically from the doorframe and looks up adoringly at her brother, who smiles down at her and puts his hand on her head for a moment.

Alex and Mike walk towards Mike’s truck, but not before Mike thanks Gale with a quick peck on the cheek and shakes John’s hand. Alex shyly waves. Joey hugs Gale, Lily, even John briefly, and then smiles quickly at Dawson before standing on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. As she moves away, they stare at each other and slow smiles spread in their faces.

When I saw the break of day
I wished that I could fly away
Instead of kneeling in the sand
Catching teardrops in my hand

As Joey walks out to the family car, the front door closes, to shield the family from the cold wind. Joey looks back at the house before getting into the truck. Her expression is one of almost expecting something, or someone, to come outside, to tell her…what? Nothing. She hugs herself with one arm and unlocks the truck door, sliding inside next to Alex and blowing on her hands. The weather suddenly changed in the evening, and now it was rather cold.

My heart is drenched in wine
But you'll be on my mind
Forever

At that very moment, Dawson swings open the door, his face almost identical to Joey’s. He wants to say something, too. But what? She is already inside the truck and Mike has already turned on the engine. The moment is gone. Dawson slowly shuts the front door.

Joey slides her forehead against the door window. Always running. Always unfinished. She thought their tumultuous history had finished that day on the picnic table. But now, less than a year later, it felt like it was starting all over again.

Mike pats her shoulder gently and she looks up at him, smiling weakly. Time to go home. Time to go back to New York, to her job. So she could forget, if just for one day, about this whole, confusing situation. Of course, that was just until she saw him again.

Out across the endless sea
I would die in ecstasy
But I'll be a bag of bones
Driving down the road alone

The Potter’s truck backs out onto the road and as Mike drives away, Dawson stands at his old bedroom window and watches her leave. Gazing upward, he sees snow starting to gently fall. "Gotta make a wish on the first snowfall," he reminisces softly to his reflection. The scene spans away from the Leery house, just as the first snowflake falls onto the grass.

My heart is drenched in wine
But you'll be on my mind
Forever
Something has to make you run
I don't know why I didn't come
I feel as empty as a drum

Joey turns around in her seat to have a last look at the Leery house. Her face is blank but there is something in her eyes. A regret, an unfinished thought… unspoken words. Just then, she looks up at the sky and realizes it's snowing, which makes a sad smile spread across her face. The first snowfall. She watches two snowflakes land side-by-side on the window… together. Always together.

I don't know why I didn't come
I don't know why I didn't come
I don't know why I didn't come

CREDITS