Login     Help

7.09 - Surrounded by BeatrizRC, Jessica, AnneG

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Leery's kitchen

The kitchen is a mess as napkins cover the table and dirty knifes and forks are lying scattered about.
"Stupid bird! How long can one turkey take to cook?" Gale says, annoyed, slamming the oven door and throwing her oven mitts on the kitchen bench.

"It’s okay, honey. We can wait a little longer. I promise, no one is devouring anyone in the living room just yet," John jokes, but Gale just looks annoyed.

"I knew it was too big!" Gale then decides and she sighs, leaning against the fridge, worried this won’t be the Thanksgiving she planned after all. John approaches her and envelops her in hug. She smiles against his chest as the doorbell rings.

"That’s the door," she says. "I’ll see who it is. And in the meantime, you watch that stupid turkey."

With that, she wiped her hands on her apron and walked out of the kitchen, hearing John say after her, in a mocking tone, "Yes sir." She just smiles and shakes her head, opening the door.

"Mrs Leery! Hi!" a bubbly, blonde Audrey stands in front of Gale wearing a becoming red coat, holding a plate. "I’m sorry I’m late. I just drove in from New York. And I’ll be sober tonight, Mrs Leery so don’t worry about me driving through any walls…"

"Audrey, come inside," Gale says in good nature, laughing and patting Audrey reassuringly on the back. "We all have our…moments, honey. Don’t worry about that."

"I’ve had several, to tell you the truth," Audrey says earnestly, shrugging her jacket off. "Now, where is that handsome son of yours?"

"Somewhere in the house, causing emotional chaos I’m sure," Gale ushers Audrey further into the hallway and takes the plate from her. "Joey and her father are here, too."

"Good! By the way, it’s a chocolate cake," she says, pointing to the plate Gale is holding. "I didn’t make it, though. That would have been a disaster." Audrey laughs and Gale joins her. Her energy and enthusiasm is contagious. "Its from this wonderful bakery on 7th Avenue and…"

Gale’s husband wanders into the front hall, curious at laughter drifting into the kitchen.

"Hey!" he says, noticing the blond young woman in the hall.

"Oh...this is Audrey," Gale introduces the two. "She was at Bessie’s wedding, but I don't think you two got a chance to talk. Audrey, this is my husband, John. Audrey was Joey’s college roommate. And the star in one of Dawson’s movies."

"Hi! Yeah, that was me. Thank you for inviting me to dinner." Audrey shakes his hand gracefully before sweeping past them and into the living room. She bumps into Lily, which causes Alex to bump into Lily, too, since he was following her. "Oh, look at you two. How are you doing, guys?" she asks cheerfully, and Lily and Alex look up at her with big grins in their faces.

“Audrey!!” Lily squeals happily as Audrey hugs her. Any of them, not her, not Alex, have forgotten the great time they had at Halloween with her. Neither at the Bessie and Boddie's wedding.

"She’s not the one who…," John leans down and starts to say in his wife’s ear, and Gale interrupts wryly, "Uh-huh."

She reaches for Audrey’s jacket. "I’ll take her keys. You keep her away from Pacey…oh wait, thank goodness he’s not here. But we’ll need to keep her away from the alcohol, just in case."

Gale hangs the coat on the hook as she hurries into the kitchen once again and hears Audrey loudly greeting Dawson and Joey in the living room. John follows her back into the kitchen with an amused expression on his face.

The Witter’s house, dinning room

Everyone sits in awkward silence at the Witter dinner table. Everyone focuses solely on their food, hoping someone will say something to break the palpable silence that fills the room. Amy giggles occasionally to break the silence but everyone throws side-glances at each other, hoping someone will say something.

"This is really good, Mrs. Witter. The turkey is delicious," Andie says finally, causing everyone to look up, look at one another and then slowly return back to their food.

"Thank you, Andie. That’s very kind," Mrs. Witter smiles, thanking her silently with her eyes. Andie meets Pacey's eyes after that and he smiles at her, also thanking her. She smiles back. The silence seems getting louder by the moment. Finally, just as Pacey is about to say something, there is a knock at the door and everyone stops eating. After a moment, the door opens and everyone spins around to see who’s there.

"Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!" Gretchen squeals, smiling broadly. "What happened? What did I miss?" She finally notices the tension in the room and her smile fades.

"Nothing, Gretch. But if I know you, the party will be picking up now," Pacey calls, jumping from his chair and hugging her tightly, grateful she’s home and grateful that someone broke up the tense moment.

Doug follows his brother’s lead immediately.

"Hey there, little brother. No hogging," Doug laughs, pulling Pacey away from Gretchen and hugging her tightly as well, thankful she could join them. "This is definitely a surprise."

"A good one, I hope," she says with a sly smile, waiting for Doug’s reaction. "So where’s the miracle worker?"

"Miracle worker?" Pacey asks, slightly confused.

"Yes. The man that brought our brother out of the closet and forced him to embrace his sexual identity, something that Pacey and I have been telling him to do for years I might add," Gretchen laughs, removing her coat and giving Doug a playful shove. All three laugh and Gretchen glances over Doug’s shoulder, seeing Jack watching from a distance.

Jack, who has also been watching her, smiles at her. They didn’t get to know each other that much the year she spent in Capeside, but they have talked a couple of times on the phone and he really likes Doug’s older sister. Noticing that she’s looking at him and silently asking him to join them, he does.

"Jack!" she exclaims, as she hugs him tight.

"Hey, Gretchen. It's so good to see you! It’s been years, hasn’t it?"

"Time sure flies! But you look good. You both look good," she says as she glances at Jack and then her brother and then back to Jack, casting an approving glance at both of them. Pacey just laughs as he takes Gretchen's coat and throws it kind of unceremoniously on a chair.

"Well, Jack, there’s only one thing I can tell you," she says, patting his back. "Well, make that two, actually. Welcome to the family and good luck. You might need it."

"Trust me, Gretchen, I’ve already figured that one out," Jack laughs, somewhat bitterly, but laughing just the same.

"So, Jack, now that my brother is officially out of the closet is he still as anal retentive and neurotic as he was when he was ‘straight'?" she asks, pulling Jack close to her and putting her arm around him. "You can tell me, straight woman to gay man."

"I’m afraid he is, but I’m working on it…I’m afraid it might take some time, though, to break some of his ‘heterosexual’ tendencies," Jack laughs, giving Doug a playful look as Pacey breaks into laughter once again.

"So you’re okay with this?" Doug asks nervously, almost afraid of what she might say.

"Hell yes, I am. This is fabulous and I couldn’t be happier, for both of my brothers," Gretchen says, giving Pacey a punch in the side.

"Are you people going to return to the table before dinner is over?" Mr. Witter calls from his seat as Mrs Witter is fixing another plate for Gretchen. Andie and Grams just smile at her, welcoming her without words, leaving the greetings for a better moment. Gretchen just sighs.

"As sweet as ever," she sighs.

"You bet," Pacey replies.

"Okay, let’s go then." And she links her arm with Jack. "So, Jack, I need some tips on redecorating my living room. I watch that Queer Eye show but I think something is still missing. Walk with me," she whispers in a conspiracy tone to him as they walk to the table.

"Are you kidding?" Jack groans, incredulous at the fact that Gretchen is even considering the possibility that just because he is gay, he will be able to help her redecorate anything. Gretchen just laughs.

"Thank goodness she’s cool with it," Pacey says, exhaling a deep sigh of relief.

"You’re telling me," Doug laughs, putting his arm around Pacey and leading him back to the group.

The Leery's house

Both Mr Potter and Dawson are chatting animatedly in a corner when Joey comes in. Actually, more like rushing in. A clip holds half of her hair on top of her head. She is wearing bright red lipstick and you can see someone got crazy with some eyeliner. She hides behind her father’s back to the guys’ amusement.

"Joey, what are you doing?" Mike asks as Dawson laughs, knowing perfectly well what she is doing. He was a witness to what happened when the two of them were talking and Audrey and Lily dragged Joey out, with the excuse of having some "girl fun".

"What do you think?" she says, peering over his shoulder. "I’m hiding from the `Audrey and Lily Beauty School,'" she says pointing to Audrey and Lily, who as if on cue, enter the room. Lily has her hands on her hips and Audrey, a mischievous smile on her lips. Joey can only groan. It's not that often that she has the chance to spend time with her family and friends, since her life is centered mostly around work first, fun later.

Just then, Lily spots Joey and points her out to Audrey, who then says something to makes the girl laugh. In sych, the two girls walk toward Joey’s hiding place.

"Oh, no!" Joey laughs.

"Joey, I wasn’t finished yet!" Lily says, shaking her finger at her.

"Lily, give her a break," Dawson scolds her gently.

Lily just looks at him and sighs. "Oh well. You’re next, then," she says, taking Mike’s hand.

"What?" he exclaims, horror written all over his face. Joey laughs and pats his back, glad she’s free.

"Good luck out there, Dad," she says as Lily and Audrey drag him toward Lily’s bedroom.

"Should I stop her?" Dawson asks concerned.

"Nah," Joey replies amused. "He’ll have the time of his life." She laughs and tugs the clips out of her hair.

"You’re so bad," Dawson says, smiling at her with a spark in his eyes. Joey just laughs once more and shrugs her shoulders.

"Anyway, I’m gonna remove all of this," she says, gesturing to the make-up on her face. "Be right back." She heads toward the bathroom. After a moment, Dawson follows her. She notices as she goes up the stairs and looks at him over her shoulder.
"Are you hiding, too, just in case?" she laughs.

"Something like that," he says, grinning at her as they reach the bathroom. Dawson leans in the doorframe as Joey searches for some cream to take off the make-up which she is sure Gale has somewhere.

"You know what?" she asks as she opens and closes different doors. "I told her when she was a baby: Don’t let them dress you in pink, don’t let them make you do all that girly stuff." She finally finds the cream. "But did she listen to me? No, of course not!" she exclaims, gesturing with her hands and looking at Dawson as he laughs. "A few hours with Audrey and everything I taught her, forgotten. And that is why I refused to buy anything remotely girly for Lily when we were doing some of our Christmas shopping last week."

"I see. Smart decision, I must say," Dawson laughs some more as he sees Joey applying the cream like a true expert. "And same goes for Amy, I guess. That’s why you almost knocked out that guy at the mall that was standing in your way of the children’s books, wasn’t it?" he asks amused, remembering that moment and the guy's stunned expression. It had been really hard for him not to burst out laughing when it happened.

Joey tries to look all-innocent. "Me, knocking out who?" Dawson just gives her a look. "Okay, okay! That was the last book by M. Williams left and she is one of the best writers of children’s book. I just had to get it," she explains. Dawson chuckles and Joey joins him. "See? That is what New York City can do to a sweet girl like me," she says, batting her eyelashes mockingly.

"Oh, please!" Dawson exclaims. "I still remember that time you hit that guy in high school with your lunch tray. Not to mention that scary girl’s boyfriend at my Friday the 13th party that you almost beat to death with a frying pan. You can’t blame New York for that," he says, raising his eyebrows and walking into the bathroom as she washs her face.

Joey just snickers. "Well, they deserved it, didn’t they?" she says as she turns the water off and reaches for the towel to dry her face. Dawson hands it to her and without even thinking, as she is wiping her face, he reaches for the end of the towel and dries the end of her nose playfully, smiling at her. Joey’s grin fades as she gazes into his eyes and before he knows what is happening, she is kissing him.

Witter’s house, after dinner

Andie is getting herself a cup of warm cocoa when she sees Mr. Witter sitting on his chair in the TV room, drinking a beer, looking slightly uncomfortable. Her comfort instincts kick in and she wanders over to him and, smiling tentatively, sits down. He looks over at her and smiles a little, shifting in his chair. Ever since he had that phone conversation with the girl so many years ago, he’s always been taken with Andie McPhee. He never understood why she and his wayward son never managed to stay together. He never really liked any of Pacey's other girlfriends. That is, the very few ones he got to know. Not even that brunette one from high school.

"That was a good dinner," Andie chirps, sipping her cocoa. "Your wife is an excellent cook."

"Yeah, she is," Mr. Witter agrees.” I guess that's where Pacey gets his ability from."

"And everyone is having a nice time. It's great to see Gretchen again. You have a wonderful family," Andie says warmly.
Mr. Witter smiles again, this time it is more genuine. "Thank you, Andie."

"But," Andie cocks her head to one side, studying him. "I can tell you’re not exactly… comfortable with a certain situation between your son and my brother."

He looks at her, surprised she is broaching the subject so openly. Then he remembers he is not dealing with a fifteen year old anymore.

"That’s putting it mildly," Mr. Witter snorts.

"I know that it may seem a little weird but it's your son’s happiness," Andie breathes and is about to continue but Mr. Witter interrupts.

"You think you know someone. You think your son is this…perfect, masculine role model and suddenly he tells you he’s gay. He was lying to us all along," Mr. Witter says, closing his eyes for a moment. Andie is surprised but pleased at this outburst. So Mr. Witter is human after all.

"I remember when I found out Jack was gay," Andie says, leaning back in her chair and sighing at the memory. "I was shocked. And I must say, I’m not proud of my first reaction at all. I just rejected him. I wanted him to forget about it. As if that was possible, you know? All I could think about was how it would affect my life. I was worrying about my life instead of his, not realizing that for him it was ten thousand times harder than it was for me. I also had all of these questions in my head, over and over again. Did the fact that he was gay mean he was different? Would he change?" Andie shakes her head. "But he didn’t change. He was…he is…Jack McPhee. Loyal, kind, smart, strong, with a preference for guys," she added with a little laugh. "But still the same guy. Still my brother."

Mr. Witter stares at his beer.

"I think the ones who suffer the hardest in all of this are Doug and Jack. Because coming out and telling everyone that you’re gay, that you’re ‘different’, has to be the hardest thing you can do," she finishes softly. She doesn’t mean to preach. She’s telling him what’s in her heart.

Mr. Witter finally looks up from his beer and gazes at her, thoughtfully, affectionately. Andie realizes he has Pacey's eyes.

"You know…remember how we talked…back when you and Pacey were…well," he hesitated. "When you were fifteen or so?"

"I remember," Andie says softly.

"Well, I liked you already. I could tell you were a good sort. You were good for my boy. You *are* good for him," he adds slightly slyly. This is a side of the imposing Mr. Witter Andie isn’t used to. She giggles and shakes off his hint with a brush of her hand. Whatever.

"I'm just surprised you remember that phone conversation at all. I guess that’s where Pacey's amazing memory comes from." Mr. Witter smiles gently. "I know Doug is good for Jack and I just know that my brother is good for Doug, too," she says hopefully.

Mr. Witter just leaned back, takes a swig of his beer and shrugs slightly. "We’ll see." Andie knows it will take time for him to get used to. And that’s okay.

Back to the bathroom at the Leery's house.

As Joey’s hand reaches to cup Dawson’s cheek, the kiss turns into a deeper one and she realizes he’s kissing her back. Her heart is beating out of control and suddenly the light goes on in her head. Dawson is kissing her back because *she* is kissing him. With a start, she breaks the kiss and the two of them stare at each other breathlessly.

Dawson looks at her, his lips swollen and an incredulous expression on his face. He’s about to say something but Joey’s feelings are swirling out of control inside of her and she doesn’t think she can handle analyzing anything just now. So she just puts a finger to his lips and looks at him with pleading eyes. They stare at each other for a moment before she turns and quickly walks out of the bathroom, practically bumping into Audrey.

"Hey, Bunny! I was looking for you and Dawson. Dinner is…," but she falls silent when she realizes Joey hasn’t even stopped to talk to her. Curious, she heads to the bathroom, so she doesn’t see Joey leaning on the wall by the stairs, her eyes closed and her hand resting on her chest, which is rising and falling quickly.

Meanwhile, Dawson is still in the bathroom, leaning on the sink, staring off into space, thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. Audrey walks into the bathroom and just leans on the sink next to him. She crosses her arms over her chest and raises an eyebrow. Dawson just lets out a long sigh and runs a hand through his hair, his heart still thundering in his ears.

"So… I would ask you what’s on your mind, Dawson, but given the way I’ve seen Joey running from here and knowing what I know about you two guys, I think I know," Audrey says, giving him a shove. He nods for a minute and turns to look at her.

"You women are so confusing, Audrey," Dawson sighs, noticing the look of fake shock on her face.

"Hey! Not all of us are as confused as the woman you might be referring to," Audrey exclaimed. "I love Joey. You know that. She’s awesome and one of my closest friends but that girl has issues."

"Really? You’re kidding? Not Joey!" Dawson gasps, looking surprised.

"Yeah, Joey,” Audrey laughs. Dawson manages to let out a throaty laugh. "We both know and love her but she confuses and surprises us at every corner," Audrey says, deep in thought for a moment.

"It seems we are destined to keep repeating the same choices until we finally get things right. But every choice has consequences and I’m starting to think that maybe following your heart isn’t always what’s best," Dawson says, thinking back to the kiss they just shared. Even though Joey initiated it, it wasn’t difficult for him at all to kiss her back. It was too easy, actually. And he felt something. Something he didn't expect and something that will probably always be there.

"Come on, Dawson. You know that’s not true. You, like everyone else can’t help how you feel. You should always follow your heart," Audrey consoles, knowing he’s confused.

"But aren’t you constantly setting yourself up for heartache if you keep going back, knowing that you will most likely get hurt as a result of acting or doing something about those feelings?" Dawson asks honestly, wondering what her response will be. Audrey thinks for a minute before answering, knowing that her answer will weigh on him heavily.

"No, it’s not. Because maybe this time, or next time or whenever the time is right, things will be different. Unless there is nothing to come back for. If so, yes, it would be stupid. But I don’t think this is the case. Is it?" Audrey smiles, seeing his face soften, thinking about her answer, as he hears a voice from the past.

'How many times are you gonna keep coming back?'
'Until there's nothing to come back for.'

And between him and Joey... there would always be something to come back for.

‘You and me... always.'

His thoughts are interrupted by Audrey. "You know what, Dawson? I don't believe in last chances. I think for some people, there are places, conversations...opportunities that don't happen just once. They repeat endlessly, until they get it right. That way, the things that are meant to find you...find you. And you don’t want to give up that chance, no matter what, right?"

Dawson sighs, but then he just looks at her. "Thanks," he finally says.

"You’re my friend too, Dawson. No matter what. And I wouldn’t be your friend if I didn’t say this," she takes a deep breath "I love Joey, I really do. But be careful. Because despite everything I’ve told you, I don’t want to see you get hurt," Audrey says softly, rubbing his back softly. "And if she does hurt you, I’ll kick her ass," she adds, in a mocking fierce tone. Dawson chuckles.

"I appreciate it, Audrey. I just wish things were simpler sometimes because I’m not sure I can do this anymore," he mutters.

"Hey! Who says things won’t be simple eventually?" Audrey cries. "And besides, if things were always easy, they wouldn’t be as worthwhile in the end."

"That’s what I’ve heard. Well, I don’t know about you but I’m starving," Dawson smiles as he smells the sweet smell of dinner drifting up from the kitchen.

"Me too. I came all the way up here to get you two. So...care to escort a girl to dinner?" Audrey asks slyly, offering him her arm. With a friendly nod, he links his with hers, leading her toward the dining room.

Back to the Witter’s house....

Still sitting on the couch, Andie has finished her cocoa. She puts it on the table next to her and relaxes, folding her arms. She’s reflecting on the situation. Her pretty face is alight and soft with hope and buoyancy.

"Working your magic, McPhee?" Pacey is standing above her, looking down at her appreciatively.

Andie just smiles slyly, "Maybe."

Pacey flops down next to her, spreading his legs out and letting his stomach stick out, a testament of the big meal.

"Seems like you have that magic touch when it comes to the Witter men." Pacey nods at his father, who is helping himself to dessert. "I saw you two having a heart-to-heart…"

Andie laughs, "I guess you could call it that." She pushes his leg a little. "You’ve gained ten pounds since the first course," she jokes. He groans and leans on her, heavier. She playfully tries to push him off but they end up leaning against each other anyway.

After a beat, he says, "My father is such an asshole sometimes. He’s so…unpredictable." Andie just listens. "It seems like we always come to some sort of truce...an understanding. And then boom, it’s gone. It never lasts." He slaps his knee for emphasis.

"He’s just confused, I think," Andie says helpfully. She brushes some lint off his shirt, and straightens his jacket. Pacey watches her, amused.

Both of them turn their heads and watch Mr. Witter approach Doug. He is smiling yet obviously hesitant one. Doug scratches his neck, nervously. Mr. Witter starts to talk about the rowdy party that Doug and his co-workers had broken up the week before. And what a good job they had done. “Those damn kids deserved to be thrown in the slammer.” Doug nods, and a smile starts to form on his face. It’s a little awkward, but Mr. Witter is obviously trying.

"Wow. He’s actually talking to his homosexual cop son," Pacey says sarcastically.

"Be patient," Andie says seriously, jabbing him in the chest gently. "Give him time. He’s trying. You were always so great about Jack being gay, even when I wasn’t, remember?" Pacey nods his head in silence. "And you were comfortable…and gloated, I might add, about Doug," she says throwing him a glare that is met by a smirk. "But, your father comes from a different era."

"Maybe," Pacey says gruffly. He sends his father and brother another curious glance, and then looks back at Andie. "So, you think they will come to an understanding sooner or later?"

"Well, I hope so. How sad it would be if they didn’t?" she asks, staring at them pensive. Pacey just smiles at her.

"What?" she asks, laughing, noticing his stare.

"Nothing. It’s just…," he straights up to look at her better in the eyes. Andie just looks at him suspiciously, wondering what it is he is about to say. "You’re somewhere inside there, aren’t you?" he asks, as if looking for something right into her eyes, playfully.

"What?" Andie laughs openly this time, as if he had turned crazy.

"You. That Andie that always expected the best from people and would never give up a fight to make someone a better person."

Andie just shakes her head with an embarrassed smile.

"You're silly," she says, smiling at him. Pacey grins back.

"Yeah, she’s still in there somewhere," she says. And for a moment they just stare at each other.

"Come on. Let's go get some dessert," he says, standing up and offering his hand to her, that she gladly takes with a smile on her face.