Login     Help

7.08 - I do by Paula, Deb, Kayden

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The reception of the wedding at the B&B

Under an unusually clear and blue sky for late November, Bodie and Bessie sit at one of the tables, Dawson and Joey sitting with them, posing for the final wedding pictures. Bessie appears to be very happy and she and Bodie kiss and laugh, much to Alex’s disgust. Gale and John join the group and Bessie asks them to pose for pictures with them. Everyone seems to be having a great time.

A few tables away, Pacey and Andie are watching the display. Especially Dawson and Joey.

“They seem close,” Andie remarks. “Just like I remember.”

“Yeah,” Pacey replies, with a nod. “Some things never change.”

Pacey watches the two talking, laughing, and basically enjoying each other’s company. For the first time, it doesn’t really upset him.

Mike joins the group, standing between Bessie and Joey, smiling for more pictures.

“The prodigal father returns,” he states. “Once again.”

“So?” Andie asks.

“Would it be too ironic if I asked him to run the Icehouse for me while I’m gone?”

Andie’s eyes widen.

“Well, that certainly has ‘full circle’ written all over it,” she remarks. “As long as he doesn’t burn it down this time.”

Pacey laughs against his will. “I don’t think we have to worry about that!” he finally gets out. “So, you think it’s a good idea?”

She smiled at him.

“Well, he does know how to run a business,” she says, pensive.

“Yes, he does. He was the one who came up with the idea of catering when he came back the first time. And from what I can gather, he’s been working in the restaurant business for the past few years.”

“Well, if you think it’s good idea, it’s a good idea.”

Pacey and Andie smile at each other a moment as Audrey walks up. She sits down, interrupting the moment without noticing.

“This place is dullsville!” she groans. “I thought this was supposed to be a party.”

“It’s a wedding reception, Audrey,” Andie corrects her, smiling. “It’s kind of a party, but more of a congratulatory one. You know?”

“Look who’s talking, the wedding expert! I thought you hated them?” Pacey asks. Andie just ignores him, although she smiles.

“But there’s supposed to be dancing, right?” Audrey asks.

“Eventually!” Pacey responds.

“Eventually? Why not now?” she pouts and Andie laughs.

“You do know the Footloose theory, right?” Andie asks.

“Oh no!” Pacey groans. “Not the Footloose theory again!”

Andie giggles while Audrey looks at them both confused, not having a clue what they’re talking about.

“We’ll explain later!” Pacey and Andie say in unison. Audrey just shrugs her shoulders as she stands up and drags Pacey up by the hand, making him stand on his feet.

“Well, in the meantime we’re gonna get this party started,” she instructs, dragging a helpless Pacey along as she makes her way toward the orchestra, who are getting their instruments ready. Andie just watches, still not sure of what Audrey is going to do but eagerly anticipating it anyway. ‘That girl is a handful,’ she thinks, shaking her head in amusement.

Jack wanders over to the main table, where now only Boddie and Bessie remain. He has Amy in his arms, who looks at the bride and groom curiously.

“Congratulations, guys!” Jack says. “It went off without a hitch. Or with it. You know what I mean.”

Bessie laughs while Bodie shakes Jack’s free hand.

“Thanks, Jack!” she replies. “Thanks Amy,” she says, cooing at the girl who tries to grab some of the little flowers in her hair. “By the way, we’re sorry to hear about what’s happening,” she emapthizes, ruffling Amy’s hair.

Jack sighs. “Yeah, me too,” he mutters. “I feel like I’m failing Jen, you know? Like I’m losing her all over again…”

“Is there anything we can do?” Bessie asks him.

At that moment, Grams come by to congratulate the couple. “What a wonderful ceremony!” she exclaims, hugging Bessie. “You two should be very proud. The good Lord knows it took long enough.”

Boddie gives Grams a funny look, as does Bessie and Jack.

“You can teach an old dog new tricks, you know,” Grams deadpans. And they all laugh.

She puts her arm around Jack’s shoulder. “Are you feeling okay, Jack?”

“I’ll manage,” Jack replies, holding Amy tighter.

“Is there anything we can do to help?” Bodie questions.

“Thanks,” Jack says gratefully. “But this if your day… I don’t want you worrying about me.”

“Nonsense! We’re all family here!” Bessie corrects him. “Come on…sit down!”

Reluctantly, Jack sits at the table. It seems like this is an argument he isn’t going to win. Soon, the four of them are deep in conversation…

Later in the reception

Bessie and Body are sitting at the main table, talking and watching their guests have fun. Audrey has finally managed to get everybody’s dancing and enjoying the reception. Bessie remembers when she was giving birth to Alex in the Leery´s living room… she never imagined then that a day like this one would ever come. So many of the people that years ago had hardly spoken to her, had now retracted and realized she was indeed a good person, one worth knowing.

Her gaze wanders around and lands on Jack. He is talking with the rest of “the gang” as they call themselves. He seems relaxed, more than he had been a while ago when they were discussing the Amy’s situation. But she knows that there is always more than meets the eye when it comes to Jack. Since he had moved to Capeside from New York, she had really learned to know and appreciate the guy.

“I’m worried about Jack, Bodie,” Bessie sighs. “It’s not fair that he’s might lose Amy.”

“I know,” Bodie agrees, thinking about his feelings for his own son and understanding Jack’s fears. “I know that the pneumonia was pretty serious but it’s something that could happen to any of us. I just don’t understand why they are making such a big deal out of it. As if he wasn’t suffering enough seeing the baby that way.”

“Yeah. But he’s gay and the social workers aren’t going to leave him alone until they can prove that he is the best of parent for Amy,” Bessie says, a little angry. “I had similar problems with them in regards to Joey. I was her sister but I was barely above the legal age to be her guardian and they made my life a living hell until I was able to prove to them that she belonged with me,” Bessie continues. “You think is there any way that we could help?” She looks at her husband hopefully.

“I don’t know, honey. I wish there was,” Boddie answers.

“By the way, do you know where Doug is?” Bessie asks, scanning the crowd, looking for him.

“Yeah, he told me that he was going to be late. He had to finish his shift at the police station. But right after that he was going to come here.”

“Bodie, do you think that if we applied to be foster parents, they might let us take care of Amy? I mean, if they took her away from Jack?” Bessie asks, looking at him with an expression of deep concern.

Bodie looks at her, shocked. “What do you mean?”

“I mean exactly what I just said. I know it’s not the same but it may be the only chance that Jack would have to be near Amy. If she’s with us,” explains Bessie.

“Well, I think this is a big decision, Bess. Are you sure?” Bodie asks, a little hesitant. “That would be mean another baby, even if only for a while, until law decides Amy’s fate.”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I’ve been thinking about it since Jack told us they might take Amy from him. I really want to do this,” she says, looking at him almost pleadingly. “I wanna help Jack.”

“Okay. We can talk to Doug later and we’ll see what he thinks about all this,” Bodie says, thoughtfully.

Bessie nods, happy. “We’ve got to try. When I think of Amy going to some stranger… I don’t want to think about that –“ She’s interrupted when she sees her father approaching them.

“Hi, Dad.”

“Hi, honey. Bodie.” He nods his head to his son in law and Boddie raises his glass at him right taking a drink from it. “The reception is going great. Everyone seems to be enjoying it,” Mike says, looking around him at all the people dancing and laughing.

“Yeah, it’s great seeing them having a good time,” Bessie agrees, nodding. “And what about you? Are you enjoying it?”

“Yeah, a lot.” Mike says truthfully. “It’s been a while since I’ve had this much fun.”

While they talk, Pacey approaches them. He has finally managed to disentangle himself from Audrey, almost begging her for a break after what seemed at least 100 dances, much to the rest of the group’s enjoyment. He finally reaches the main table.

“Hey! How is the beautiful bride and groom?” He greets them, smiling.

“Hi, Pacey. Great, thank you.” Bessie says, beaming. “And what about you? It’s been a while since we talked.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ve been busy. But I’m great,” he replies brightly. “I’m loving my job in New Orleans.”

Mike looks at him. “And what about the Ice House? I went there a few days ago. I didn’t know you weren’t running it now.”

“Actually, I own it. But I had a few troubles and when I was given this opportunity in New Orleans… I couldn’t do anything but take it. Lance, one of my employees, is managing it right now,” Pacey explains.

“Ah, I see. I love the changes you’ve made. But I also saw little things that probably won’t work well with the people here,” Mike says. “But it’s your restaurant. I don’t want to intrude so...” He raises his hands in an apologetic gesture

“Oh, no, please. Actually, I would love you to intrude. Any suggestions are welcome now that I’m not here to check things out myself,” Pacey answers, smiling.

They keep on talking for a little while about the Ice House, about Mike’s ideas and Pacey´s. And the more they talk about it, the more Pacey is convinced that Mike could be the right men to run the restaurant for him.

Entrance to the Potter backyard

‘I’m late. I bet Jack isn’t going to be very happy,’ thinks Doug as he finally arrives at Bessie and Boddie´s reception. Funny how time seems to speed up when you need it to slow down.

Doug quickly locates Jack and waves at him. Jack just nods his head as Doug nears him. Doug knows that look and tries to head-off an impending argument by placing a quick kiss on his boyfriend’s forehead.

He quickly apologizes. “I’m sorry, I was tied up at work. You know, crime waits for no man,” Doug smiles at Jack. Jack, however, is upset and has been upset for the last half an hour.

“Work always come before me, before us,” Jack states, clearly peeved by Doug’s continual use of work as an excuse. Doug just sighs. It’s always the same. They never seem to be able to come to an understanding about Doug’s duties and how they affect their everyday life.

Grams, ever vigilant of Jack’s happiness, intercedes at that moment and says, “Jack, some understanding is in order, don’t you think?” Neither Jack nor Doug had noticed her presence earlier nor or that she had walked over. And both, especially Jack, seem to be embarrassed that they were about to start another of their lately typical arguments. “Small things like late arrivals should be forgiven when there are larger concerns,” continues Grams as she nods at Amy.

Jack sighs. He knows. “Yes, there are more important things,” says Jack somewhat contritely. Doug looks at Grams and gives her a silent thank you. Grams just places her hand on his shoulder and heads off.

Pacey walks by to say hello to Doug. They make some small talk and then he notices Joey standing alone by a table. He walks towards her. ‘It’s time for us to have the chance to talk alone,’ he thinks. Not so long ago, she was dancing along with the rest of the group but now she is just watching the action from the sidelines instead of taking part in it. As she sips her glass of champagne, she watches couples dance as they spin across the lawn. No one seems to have a care in the world, including herself.

“Hey,” greets Pacey.

“Hey yourself,” answers Joey.

“The party is a smash and the ceremony was memorable,” Pacey grins.

“Thanks,” says Joey. “It took so long to plan. I’m glad we pulled it off,” she says, smiling quietly at him.

“I bet.” A beat. “You did a good job on that poem that Bessie read,” remarks Pacey.

“I never thought my sister would ask me to help her with something like that but she did,” replies Joey.

“Why would you think that?” asks Pacey, curious. She just shrugs her shoulders. “It was a very sentimental – in some cultures, it would be considered sappy but that’s what you do, right? Write, I mean.”

Joey smiles. It’s as if they had rewound the clock and they were back to being 15. Or even 18. Back to the days when nothing was further from their minds than romantic feelings for each other, no matter what Pacey said. But there is a kinder and gentler tone now to the teasing. Now there are no misunderstandings, no feelings left between them other than a fond sibling-like friendship. Pacey notices it, too.

“I think there was a compliment somewhere in there,” says Joey.

“Yeah, well you know me, I’ve always had a “silver tongue,” replies Pacey.

“Yeah, when your foot isn’t deeply embedded in your mouth,” Joey retorts.

Pacey grins. It’s true. As much as he tries to be the “man about town,” deep inside he is the same goofball he’s always been. At least when he is relaxed among friends. True friends, the ones he doesn’t have to pretend in front of. And instead of making him feel uneasy as it did when he was 15, it makes him feel good.

“So, now that we’ve established that we don’t hate each other,” says Pacey, “what are you up to these days?”

“Nothing much,” Joey evades.

“Nothing much?” asks Pacey. “Prevaricating doesn’t become you, Potter,” says Pacey.

“Prevaricating? I didn’t think you knew the word,” says Joey trying to change the subject.

“Yeah, well Dawson bought me a dictionary awhile back. He noticed we had communication problems and he thought that might help,” Pacey says cheekily. “I actually use it from time to time.”

Joey sighs. Okay, if she really wants to regain his friendship, she was going to have to be honest with him. And for that, the first thing to do was to get out in the open anything and everything related to their past together.

Joey looks at Pacey right in the eye. “You really want to know what I’ve been up to lately?”

Pacey nods his head. She takes a deep breath and lets it out, expecting him to laugh at her or something. “I’m in therapy.”

“Therapy?” asks Pacey incredulously, “What for? How long?”

“It’s been a few months now,” replies Joey steadily.

Pacey is stunned. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Joey looks at Pacey and finally says, “Our relationship was… you know, both of us existing on completely separate planets and pretending to be in the same room.”

“Oh, you mean the inherent deceit of ‘us’? Pacey asks with a smile. There is no recriminations or hurt feelings. There is only naturalness on each of their parts, a true genuine concern that each move on and become friends again.

“The inherent deceit of ‘us,’” repeats Joey.

“C’mon Joey,” says Pacey. “There was always a basic pattern in our inability to be truthful with each other and with ourselves. Think back, it’ll come to you.”

“Oh, you mean like me lying to you about lying to Dawson about our ski trip?” Joey finally says thoughtfully.

“Or that I didn’t tell you about my fishing trip with Doug,” says Pacey.

“Or how scared I was when I thought I might be pregnant but didn’t tell you until much later when there was no need to tell anymore. Or about the brick from Hemmingway’s house that I brought back for Dawson after we spent the summer sailing,” continues Joey.

“That was for Dawson? That heavy package that nearly put a hole in the deck of my boat?” says Pacey.

“Yeah,” replies Joey. “I’m guessing I never told you that,” she states innocently and Pacey glares at her. “You’re right, there is definitely a pattern of deceit that we can’t seem to break when we are together,” says Joey, sighing.

“If we only knew then what we know now,” says Pacey with a grin. “We would have definitely headed in opposite directions. So, I guess, what I’m saying is that I think I understand why you didn’t tell me. I might have thought I was the cause of you seeking therapy.”

“And you weren’t. Well, maybe in part you were. But only because that’s how it all started. I was supposed to be happy, really happy… but I wasn’t. And how was I supposed to tell you that?” Pacey just nods his head as he watches her. “And besides that, there are just a lot of things I need to work out and being happy is ultimately the goal. But my happiness isn’t dependent on you and shouldn’t be dependent on anyone but myself,” she finishes.

“You know what you said to me once, about how I only remember the times you walked away from me?” She nods her head. “Well, you were wrong. In the last few weeks, I’ve remembered much more than that. And let me tell you, it didn’t make me feel bad or anything. I’m glad we had what we had.” She smiles at him sweetly. “And, hey, at least this time you didn’t tell me you didn’t feel it,” he adds, brightly.

“And you didn’t humiliate me in front of a crowd, telling me I made you feel like nothing,” she retorts back, wrinkling up her nose.

“Wow, we keep improving each time around, don’t we?” Pacey laughs, amazed that they are able to carry on this kind of conversation.

“If someone had told me 5 months ago that we would be here today joking with each other about this…” Joey shakes her head. “I would have sent them to the nearest insane asylum.”

“I know. Me too.”

Silence. “But I’m glad we’re here now. And I’m glad you decided to stay in my life and be my friend,” Joey says in a sincere tone

“And a very good one, mind you,” he says, and she laughs. Just then her eyes wander to someone in front of her, behind Pacey´s back. Pacey look over his shoulder to see Dawson before looking back at Joey, a knowing expression on his face.

She just smiles at him shyly and bows her head, concentrating on her drink.


The scene fades to…

From the other side of the backyard, Dawson and Gale watch the two of them. Dawson watches with a light, serene smile in his face. Just then Joey look at him and smiles. Dawson smiles back at her.

“It’s nice, you know?” Gale says, linking her arm in his. He turns to face her.

“What’s nice?” he asks.

“To see you all hanging around, carefree and happy for once.”

“Oh, that,” Dawson chuckles. “Yeah, it’s about time. No misunderstandings, no angst…”

Gale is about to say something about the no angst part but she decides against it.

“So you’re okay with it?”

“With what?”

Gale points to Pacey and Joey, who are still talking.

”Oh yeah,” he replies. “I’m okay with it, with them being friends. It doesn’t bother me at all. Actually, I think it’s the best thing that could happen if you ask me.”

“How mature of you,” Gale comments.

“Well,” he shrugs. “We’ve all gotta grow up sometime, right?”

("Joey Girl" by Binge, starts playing in the background)

Gale smiles at him.

“How about you and Joey?” she asked finally. “You’re spending a lot of time together. Is there something going on there?”

All the things that we've been through
And all the things we didn't do
The colors fade
The seasons change
And all the time I've waited here for you

Dawson chuckles at the suggestion.

“Not again…” Dawson groans. Gale looks at him innocently. “We’re friends, Mom,” he assures her. “Just friends.”

“Sure,” Gale says. “Like you were ‘just friends’ when she had a crush on you in tenth grade? Or when you moved to Boston for her? As I recall, you were also ‘just friends’ that time you slept together,” Gale says with a knowing face.

All the things that I should have done
To all the wars we've never won
The stars will fall
The leaves will change
My love for you will always be the same

“That only happened one time in the two decades I’ve known her, Mom,” he recalls, waving his hand as it was of no importance. “It’ll never happen again. We’re beyond all that.”

“Beyond all that?” Gale lets out a little laugh, and Dawson looks at her with a puzzled expression. “You two are young, single, and have loved each other in more different ways that I could even fathom and you think you guys are beyond sex?”

Joey, my arms are open for you
Joey, you know that you are mine
Joey, you know that I adore you
Joey girl, someday I'll make you mine

“Mom…” Dawson sighs.

“Okay, okay. I just want you to find the happiness you deserve.”

“I’m happy. I love this new project I’m involved with, I have just started a new life in New York close to my friends and family –“

It seems to me that I've been here once before
Can't you see that it's all worth fighting for
You used to come in through my window
But I can't wait here anymore, Joey girl...

“You know what they say?” Gale asks, interrupting him. “Sometimes things happen when you least expect them. Something tells me that ‘friend’ of yours is in your future, Dawson.”

All that signs that I misread
All the things I should have said
They haunt me now
But things will change
My love for you will always stay the same

He smiles at Gale and shakes his head. Mothers. They never change. But still, he looks over at Joey. Jack’s words are echoing in his mind. “Tell me you haven’t thought about it. You and her, in the same city…” Just then, Lily comes running out of nowhere.

“Come on, Dawson!” she urged him, grabbing his hands in her own. “I wanna dance!”

Dawson chuckles.

“Hope I can keep up!” he jokes. “Not as young as I used to be. Mom?”

“Go ahead!” Gale pushes him toward the dance area and watches with a smile as Dawson swings his little sister around. Nearby, Joey watches them with a smile on her face.

Joey, my arms are open for you
Joey, you know that you are mine
Joey, you know that I adore you
Joey girl, someday I'll make you mine
I'll make you mine...


Meanwhile, back on the other side of the backyard…

“Hey, can I talk to you for a second?” Pacey asks Mike.

“Sure, Pacey,” the older man replies as they walk a little further from the rest, who are now watching Dawson and Lily dance. “What’s up?”

“So you know how I got that job in New Orleans?” Pacey asks. Mike nods. “Well, it makes things a bit difficult working there are phoning it in to the Icehouse. Mostly because we are having some difficulties and I need someone who I can really trust and who knows how to deal the restaurant business. I don’t know how long I’m gonna stay in New Orleans and I’m not that comfortable selling the place. I mean, I put a lot of work into it over the past couple of years. So I thought, why not have someone with experience run it?”

Mike looks at Pacey in shock. “Me? You want ne to run the Icehouse? Pacey, I…”

“It’s pretty close to the same restaurant,” Pacey reminds him. “It’s almost fitting…I couldn’t think of anyone more qualified for the job. Just as long as you don’t burn this one down, of course,” he adds as a joke, although Mike doesn’t even seem to notice, still pondering Pacey´s words.

“I’ll have to think about this,” Mike says, still reeling from the offer. “I’ll have to get back to you.”

“Take your time, Mr. Potter,” he replies, and the two of them shake hands before rejoining the group. They stop by Audrey, who for once, is just listening to the conversation without speaking. She turns to them and notices Mike.

“Hi, I’m Audrey,” she introduces herself. “Joey’s college roommate.”

“Uh, yes, we’ve met,” Mike reminds her. “Christmas of 2002. Remember?”

“Ah, not my finest hour,” she recalls with a chuckle. “I was a bit tipsy that night.”

“Just a bit,” Pacey teases, pressing his thumb and index finger together and furrowing his eyebrows.

“Whatever,” Audrey retorts and Mike laughs before excusing himself and walking away.

“So, you heading back to the Big Easy after this, Pace?” Audrey inquires.

“Yeah, after some much needed rest,” he answers. “I kinda miss being around everybody, though.”

“I promise I’ll come and visit again, soon,” Audrey tells him. “We had fun last time.”

Pacey grins. “That we did!” he agrees. “I’ll be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas here, too.”

“Oh, cool. I’ll see you then. I plan to join the festivities here, too. You can never have enough of Capeside!”

Pacey laughs. “If you say so…”

Beside the dance area

(‘One of These Days’ by Michelle Branch begins playing by the band)

Lily and Alex are dancing together, looking annoying.

“Come on, Mom. Can we stop now?” Alex says, looking pleadingly at his mother who is taking pictures of them.

I didn’t notice
But I didn’t care

“Just a little more, honey. You two look adorable together.” Bessie says. And the two children just glare at her.

Not far away, Dawson and Joey are watching the scene, smiling.

“I understand them. That can be so annoying but they do look cute together, don’t they?” Joey chuckles, looking at Dawson.

I tried being honest
But that led me nowhere
I watched the station
Saw the bus pulling through

“Yeah, they do. It’s funny how fast times goes by. It feels like yesterday that you and Bessie appeared at my door with her just about to have Alex,” Dawson remembers, watching Alex and his sister dance.

“Sure does,” Joey agrees.

They stay like this for a little while. Just together, sharing one of those comfortable silences that are part of their friendship.

And I don’t mind saying
A part of me left with you

“I’m not sure if I want him back in my life,” Joey says suddenly. Dawson turns to her with a questioning look on his face.

“I’m not sure if I’m ready to have my father back in my life,” she explains.

He watches her for a few seconds before nodding.

“Have you talked to him about this?” Dawson asks.

“Kind of.” She answers.

“Kind of?”

“Well, actually I yelled at him that he has no right to have a say in my life anymore,” Joey admits.

“Ouch. But, Joey, telling your father he has no say in your life is not talking to him about how you feel.”

“I know, I know. It’s just that I’m not sure if I want him back. But I’m not sure I don’t,” Joey explains, sighing. “Does any of this make any sense?”

One of this days
I won’t be afraid of staying with you
I hope and I pray
Waiting to find a way back to you
‘Cause that’s where I’m home

“Yeah, actually it does. I know he’s hurt you deeply, Joey. But he’s still your father and you will always love him, no matter what. Otherwise, it’s just going to keep eating you up inside: the anger, the disappointment, the hurt,” Dawson says softly.

“I know, Dawson. But it’s not that easy. You know I’m not a very forgiving person.”

“Oh, yes you are,” Dawson reminds her firmly. “How many times have we forgiven each other?”

She thinks about this before protesting. “But we never did it on purpose. And he has hurt me way too much and just by his acts. He has influenced so much of my life, mostly my relationships.” Joey clarifies, making Dawson furrow his eyebrows with curiosity.

“What do you mean?” He asks, intrigued.

Did I make you nervous?
Did I asked for too much?
Was I not deserving one second of your touch?

“I realize now that my relationship with my father has affected each and everyone of my relationships, especially with men. He’s my father and he was supposed to love me no matter what, to protect me, to be there for me. And he left. And I’m not talking about prison. I’m talking about leaving with that blonde bimbo when my mom was sick and not being with us through all that,” she says sadly. “I know that he regrets those days. He told me so long ago but still all I know is that it’s affected the way I relate to all males in my life.” Joey shrugs as she reflects on some of her sessions with the therapist.

“But Joey, do you really think…” Dawson begins.

One of this days
I won’t be afraid of staying with you
I hope and I pray
Waiting to find my way back to you
‘cause that’s where I’m home

“I’m scared, okay?” she interrupts him. “I mean, if my own father left me, how can I expect any less from other men? I discovered that I’ve always needed to be… the center of their universe, so to speak. I have to be sure they won’t leave me behind. Or if they do, I have to have already left first,” she adds, laughing bitterly. “And at the same time, whenever I find a man that seems to really love me, I get so scared. I think that maybe if I let him in, if I let him know me too much, then he will leave me.”

She pauses and watching everyone dance but not really seeing them. “So I found it so much easier to date guys that didn’t really know the real me. It was more safe… and less scary.” Dawson watches her in silence, knowing that she is pouring her heart out to him. “So I always convince myself that I’ve find the right guy whenever I find someone that doesn’t know me at all. They only know the part of me I show to them and that has been my security blanket for so long, you know? Because then I’m in charge of the situation. Someone who doesn’t know why I got a scar in my ankle, or someone who doesn’t know my favorite meal or someone who can’t read my eyes, who can’t touch my soul.”

“I keep telling myself that the little girl inside me that’s in so much pain has finally gone away because I’m in a steady relationship. But to be honest, I don’t think that little girl ever left because she never healed,” she says, as she looks away a little upset with herself all of a sudden. The meaning and weight of her words hang between the two of them. She has said so many things in so little time.

“Jo,” Dawson says caressing her back soothingly. “We all are always scared in relationships and there are always things we hide from the others. Hell, even from ourselves. We always have such high expectations when it comes to love.” A beat “But not every guy you meet is going to leave you. Not every guy that loves you is going to hurt you on purpose. Although love comes with the capacity to hurt, it also comes with the capacity to heal. I guess if you love someone, you have to find a way to trust them.”

“I know. A leap of faith. I know you’re right. And I’m working my way there,” she smiles weakly. For a moment she just looks at him, his loving smile and deep blue eyes.

“Thank you, Dawson. For being there every time I needed you, for listening to me and always knowing the right thing to say,” she whispers, unable to look away from his intense scrutiny.

What would you do if I could have you?
Oh if I could
I’d let you feel everything I’m thinking
Wouldn’t that be nice?

“Thank you for letting me being here for you. And for trusting me enough to talk to me,” he whispers back.

She puts her arms around him slowly, burying her face in his neck. Surprised at first, he hugs her back and closes his eyes. They hug tightly, both unwilling to let go. Joey finds comfort in his embrace, finds that everything seems easier when she’s in his arms. Her friend, who is with her always. Dawson wants to erase all the pain and hurt she’s been dealing with and hopes she now knows he will always be there for her.

Slowly, they break apart from the embrace and stand in there, side by side, watching Lily and Alex dancing. And they look at each other and smile.

One of these days
I won’t be afraid of staying with you.



Later on…

Joey is standing alone and watching people interact. ‘The reception is in full swing and merriment is had by all,’ she thinks, satisfied. “Merriment” being a word that Audrey often used and has now become part of Joey’s vocabulary.

Across the dance floor, Joey sees her father waiting for her. Joey knows that this is the time for her to talk to him and to explain herself. She slowly walks around the edge of the dance area to Mike. She doesn’t know exactly what to say, which she thinks odd for a writer. Putting correct words in a character’s mouth is always easier than in real life.

When Joey finally reaches Mike, she blurts out, “Dad, I don’t know where to start but I know if I don’t say something, things are just going to get worse. So… here I am.”

Mike Potter looks at her and sees her determined face and how her gaze doesn’t waver. And whatever the outcome of all this is, he’s glad she is willing to talk.

“Joey, it’s okay,” assures Mike. “Some of the things you said earlier were things I needed to hear. I know the past can be erased, regardless of now much I wish it could be.”

“No, it’s not okay. That’s what everybody keeps telling me. Even when I screw up, people don’t blame me. And I don’t want that anymore. And I don’t want to punish you or resent you anymore,” says Joey. “I’m sorry for closing myself off to you. You are my father and I won’t to love or be loved until I deal with that reality,” continues Joey. “I need to do it little by little, though. These are things that I’m trying to work through now with the help of a therapist. It’s really helped me to see a lot of things more clearly.”

“Joey -“ starts Mike again.

“No, Dad, let me finish,” Joey interrupts. “I might be able to work up the courage to be completely honest with you again in God knows how long.” So Mike just stands there, watching her fight with her inner demons. Joey takes a deep breath. “I’m afraid that you are going to leave me again. Ever since you left and left Bessie and I to fend for ourselves, I’ve had this fear that I’ll always be alone and that the people I love most will leave me.” Mike studies his daughter and though he wants to respond, he lets her continue.

“I know it’s irrational, but there it is,” says Joey, “I’m still that girl who lost her mother to cancer and her dad to prison. A little girl who had to grow up without parents, without feeling loved. All of this while living with my older sister who was pregnant out of wedlock. And honestly, with that background, I’m surprised that I didn’t go see a therapist sooner. It would have saved me so much pain and heartache.”

The memory of Joey sitting in a desk at a hospital rushes to her. “See, I got a lot of things to say and I need someone to listen to them. It all started when my mom got sick…” As the memory flashes in her mind, Joey doesn’t know if she should be amused or upset. With a reflecting face, she keeps on going, trying to pick up where she left off.

“It doesn’t seem to matter how much money I earn, or how far away from Capeside I am. I’m still that scared girl, she never stopped following me around as I once thought” Joey says raggedly. “I’m so insecure about those I love and those who love me. I’m so afraid of getting getting hurt again. It’s why I can’t seem to commit to a real relationship. I’m so scared of loving anyone with my whole heart again.”

As Joey takes a breath, Mike says, “I’m so sorry Joey. I feel like this all my fault.”

“No, Dad,” replies Joey, “I need to get past this. It’s my problem. I’m not looking for an apology from you. I just need you to understand. I want a chance to know my father again. I just want to be your daughter.”

“It’s a chance I will more than willing to give you, if you can give me one, too. I want to know my daughter and prove to her that I have, finally, changed,” Mike replies.

“Okay, it’s a deal then,” she smiles weakly at him. “But I need you to always be honest with me and I need you to be there for me. Even if I piss you off. And believe me, that will happen.” Joey finally smiles as Mike laughs. “I want us to be a real family again,” Joey says, now more serious.

Mike suddenly feels like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders and looks at Joey and tells her equally as serious, “I want that, too.”

“The last two weeks I’ve spent in Capeside, I’ve felt like I’m finally home,” explains Mike. “You, Bessie, Bodie and Alex are my family so... thank you for giving me this chance. A chance for me to win back your trust and to somehow recover the time we lost together. I will prove to you that I’m worthy of that chance and that I’m a different man now.”

With that Mike opens his arms and Joey takes a small step towards him. They embrace in a big hug. Everything around them seems to have actually become brighter as father and daughter hug.

On the dance floor…

Everyone is still dancing. The kids are no longer being tortured as Lily is dancing with her stepfather and Alex dancing with his mother.

Pacey, meanwhile, is dancing with Audrey. “Well, did you have fun?” Audrey asks him.

Pacey ponders the question for a moment. “Actually, I did!” he replies finally. “Call me crazy, but I like the way things are now. I’ve got a great job, terrific friends…my life’s perfect.”

“Perfect?” Audrey asks him.

“Well, almost,” he corrects himself. “Don’t get me wrong, it would be nice to have someone to come home to. But it’s not something I need to have anymore.”

Audrey smiles at him. Suddenly, Jack and Andie appear next to them.

“Can I cut in?” Jack asks. “I’d like to be able to dance with someone besides my sister, you know?”

Pacey chuckles. “Be my guest,” he says, stepping aside. Audrey stretches her hand out dramatically to Jack and he takes it just as dramatically. They laugh as they dance away, leaving Pacey and Andie facing each other.

“Didn’t I promise you one last dance?” Pacey asks her.

“A lifetime ago,” she replies with a smile.

The two of them begin to slow dance together. Pacey closes his eyes as they sway back and forth.

“I love weddings,” Andie whispers.

“Yeah, I remember,” he reminds her. “You’re a wedding fanatic. I’m just glad I didn’t had to force the confession out of you this time and that you didn’t wreck the cake this time.”

She giggles. “Oh god, you still remember that?” she asks.

“Of course,” he tells her. “I may not have a perfect memory but I remember the important things, you know. Like you and me.”

“Well, Venice hasn’t sunken into the sea yet!” Andie jokes.

“I’ve still got four more years, McPhee!” he states. “I’m gonna win this bet!”

The two of them laugh. Then, suddenly, their attention is drawn elsewhere.

They saw Dawson dancing with Gale, and Joey dancing with Mike.

“Take a look at that!” Pacey remarks. “Is it just me, or are you getting a strong sense of déjà vu?”

“What do you mean?” she asks him.

“Well, look…” he explains. “Joey’s dancing with her dad, Dawson’s dancing with his mom…I’m dancing with you. You know what’s gonna happen next, don’t you?”

Andie makes a smirk. “Gee, you’re right. You do remember things, don’t you?”

Pacey just smiles at her as he swings her around, making her squeals in surprise.

Soon, Pacey´s comment became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because, just as Joey and her father reached the centre of the dance floor…

“I think this is the part where I cut out,” he tells her. “I think there’s someone else who wants to dance with you!”

Joey turns her head to see Gale and Dawson only a few feet away. They walk towards them.

“So, how’s the father of the bride?” Gale asks cheerfully.

“Getting by,” he tells her. “You look positively radiant! Dawson, you mind if I borrow your mother for a moment?”

“Be my guest!” Dawson encourages him with a smile as Gale offers Mike her hand. Soon they are dancing away.

Dawson and Joey look at each other as they are standing facing each other.

“Hi” she says, walking to him as he opens his arm to take her in, and slowly, they begin a dance of their own.

“Hi” he replies smiling at her and not saying anything else for a moment. Then Joey laughs softly.

“You can ask Dawson” she says, and Dawson smirks.

“Ok, so… How are things between you and your dad then?”

“I made it,” she sighs in relief. “I talked to him. I mean, it’s not all perfect, but…well, we’ll work things out.”

“Good,” Dawson says, smiling at her.

They continue dancing, staring into each other’s eyes.

“Thank you,” she says suddenly.

“Again?” he says amused, flashing a smile at her. “For what?” he asked. “I didn’t do anything.”

“Yeah, you did. You always do. There are so many thank you´s that I owe you. For starters, I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you and the money you gave me for college”

“Oh please Jo. That was so long ago. And I didn’t mean for you to be in debt to me forever, you know. You did return the favor anyway”

“I know. You always do these kind of things, expecting nothing in return. You came back into my life after I ran out on you five years ago. You’ve helped me get through dealing with my father again. Sometimes I think I tend to take you for granted. I just want you to know that it matters to me. You matter to me.”

“You matter to me too,” he replies. “There was a time when I never could imagine the two of us here like this. I just…I must be the luckiest guy in the world to get something hardly anyone else gets…a second chance to make things right. Your friendship is so important to me, Jo. I’m embarrassed that I let my work cause me to drift apart from you. I never want that to happen again. I want…I want you a part of my life for as long as humanly possible.”

She smiles at him.

“Even in some unearthly way?” she jokes.

“Yeah,” he responds, his smile equal to hers. “Even like that.”

As they stare at each other, their dance suddenly become slower, as an invisible electricity passes between them. The familiar setting, combined with the emotions they have been suppressing for years, puts them in a position they haven’t been in a long time.

Slowly, they move closer together. Both Dawson and Joey’s eyes flutter closed, even as their lips part…only an inch away from touching. Joey feels her heart thumping in her chest, butterflies in her stomach. Dawson feels the palms of his hands sweat, his mouth dry and both forget where they are or any questions of if this is the right or wrong thing to do. Is it just reliving a moment from the past? It’s so much more than that.

“Can I have your attention, please?” Bodie suddenly announces. “It’s time for the throwing the bouquet. Can I get all single ladies over here?”

Their eyes snap open. Dawson and Joey suddenly realize what they were so close to doing. A mixture of surprise and something more fills their eyes. For a moment, words fail them.

But then Joey smiles at him. She doesn’t appear upset or mad at all.

“Talk about déjà vu,” she says, nervously. “Remember? That wedding, the one the Icehouse catered? And this... we were like this there too, weren´t we? But that was so long ago. Wasn´t it? Sorry, I’m rambling,” she laughs softly.

That thought makes Dawson smile. “Yes, you are,” he says, smiling. And after such a simple line, no further words are needed. Joey understands Dawson is not gonna over analyze what just almost happen and she won’t even begin to try and explain it neither. They simply turn their attention towards Bessie, who is stepping up to the platform, bouquet in hand.

“Okay!” Bessie calls out. “Here we go…”

With that, she throws the bouquet into the air.


Late in the evening at the reception.

At Bessie and Bodie’s reception at the Potter Bed and Breakfast Inn, the grounds are still half filled with people, slowly emptying as they leave, all wishing the newlywed couple well. The buffet table is almost empty of food, leftovers of the party all over the floor; threads of bright colors are blowing in the breeze as the sun is setting. It seems like all of Capeside has been there, celebrating Bessie and Bodie’s wedding; and certainly all the gang is still there soaking it all in.

They all are sitting slightly apart from all the people that are left. Drinks on hand, they sit in a circle and are engaged in conversations. Trivial, easy and friendly words are exchanged. Jack listens to the music as he holds Amy in his lap while he surveys the party. It is past Amy’s bedtime, but what the hell, Jack thinks, a party like this should be enjoyed by everyone.

(“Four seasons in one day” by Crowed House, starts playing in the background)

He smiles at the sight of Joey cooing at Amy, tickling her cheeks as she speaks to her as if she was a little adult, Dawson and Audrey joining in the Amy adoration from time to time. Jack smiles, but he only half-listens to the conversations around him.

Four seasons in one day
Lying in the depths of your imagination

He can’t help but remember the last time he attended a wedding. Then, the mother of the baby in his lap was still alive and dancing, blond locks of soft hair under the bright sky. He felt younger and freer then, right before it all went wrong. And it all is going to hell again. He’s losing Amy. He failed Jen.

Worlds above and worlds below
The sun shines on the black clouds
Hanging over the domain

“Amy, do you see Uncle Pacey and Aunt Andie?” Asks Joey. Amy nods gravely in response. “Who do you think talks more?”

Whatever Amy is actually considering this or it just seems as if she is, she replies, “AC!”

“Good answer,” laughs Dawson.

Joey smiles and says, “You sure are your mother’s daughter.”

Even when you're feeling warm
The temperature could drop away
Like four seasons in one day

At the mention of Jen, Jack’s chest tightens. Joey sees his response as Dawson takes his turn and takes Amy from Jack’s lap, she rubs his arm to console him. Jack smiles at her. Then she glances around as she leans back in her seat and sips from her almost finished drink. She sees Doug talking to Audrey, Pacey and Andie. Further, Grams watches Alex and Lily as they chase each other around. Sitting by her side, Mike talks to Gale and John. Doug, Audrey, Pacey, and Andie seem to be engaged in some conversation and she smiles.

Amy giggles and Joey turns around to see Lily picking her up. “Jack, can we take Amy with us?” She is asking, motioning to her and Alex, who is standing by her side. Amy seems to be more than willing to leave, and Jack agrees.

“Just don’t give her anything to eat, ok?”

“What is she, a gremlin?” Dawson asks, laughing softly.

“Ha ha, funny. You’ll tell me when you have your own kids”

“Well, you can make yourself comfortable while waiting for that to happen,” Dawson jokes. But he meets Joey’s eyes and she smiles, muttering “drama king”. Dawson returns her smile as he watches Alex and Lily playing with Amy. And it looks so right, to see Lily holding Amy, to see her sister holding Jen´s daughter as if she was part of the family. And she is. He looks around him as all the group finally gathers together, and smiles to himself. They all are. For good and for bad, they are a family, no matter the time and the distance.

Doug sits down by Jack’s side and places a gentle kiss on Jack’s cheek, and says, “I’ve missed you.” He has tried to say it in a low voice so it goes unheard for the rest of the group, but he fails.

You can tell a man from what he has to say
Everything gets turned around
And I will risk my neck again

Pacey sighs dramatically, rolling his eyes, “Can you please stop reminding the rest of us that we’re alone?”

“Alone?” Replies Audrey, sitting in between him and Andie “That’s a misinterpretation of fact. We’re not alone, we have each other.”

You can take me where you will
Up the creek and through the mill

“Here, here,” says Andie as the group laughs.

“I stand corrected,” says Pacey, “In fact, I think we should drink to that.”

“Just one moment,” says Joey, “I need some libations.” With that she leans forward to pour a drink as Dawson does the same, and unintentionally she brushes Dawson’s hand. For a brief moment they hold each other’s gaze. A thousand words are spoken between them in that single glance, in that single touch.

Like all the things you can't explain
Four seasons in one day

Slowly, a smile curls up on Dawson’s lips. It’s warm and slow, and his eyes say much more than his lips anyway. As the sun is setting down over the Potter’s creek, Joey returns his smile.

Blood dries up
Like rain, like rain

And so the evening passes, and the group of people enjoy it together just like old friends do. The last thing we see as the image pans out is all of them talking and laughing.

Fills my cup
Like four seasons in one day

CREDITS