Login     Help

7.08 - I do by Paula, Deb, Kayden

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Still inside the church

“You are just the cutest thing!” Andie McPhee announces using ‘baby-talk’, holding the blonde-haired child in her arms. “Yes, you are!”

Amy laughs at the funny woman. She grabs a handful of Andie’s hair, tugging on it, trying to stick it into her mouth.

“Hey, that’s mine!” Andie laughs. “Must be Amy’s way of saying I need a haircut?”

Pacey gives her a smirk. The scene is just too adorable.

“I think she likes you,” he states.

“Should we just go ahead and get the scissors now?” Jack says, making Andie laugh. “Oh, you like Aunt Andie, don’t you?” he asks her, taking Amy. “Come to Daddy.”

Pacey finds himself staring at Andie, who is now smiling wide at the sight of his brother and his new daughter. Eventually, she notices Pacey staring at her.

“What?” she asks.

“It’s just…really good to see you again,” he tells her. “Thanks for coming.”

“Hey,” she shrugs. “Jack asked, I came. It’s what loving sisters do.”

“Mind informing mine about that little bit of info?” he jokes.

“So, I hear you’re living in New Orleans these days, huh?” Andie asked him. “How is it? Must be intense.”

“That’s an understatement if I’ve ever heard one,” he joked. “But yeah…it’s great. I really owe Brecher for this one.”

“Knowing you, I’m sure you’re enjoying The Big Easy.”

“Well, I don’t want to brag, but…” Pacey replies, which resulted in some chuckling from the others.

“Are we talking about the few girls Pacey hasn’t dated yet in New Orleans?” Audrey adds, poking her head from the other side of the bench.

“Hey!. What is this, attack of Pacey´s ex’s day? You got Karen hiding somewhere?” he jokes, looking around as if afraid.

“Tamara’s in the cake!” Jack jokes, his attention back to the conversation.

Pacey sighs, rolling his eyes.

“For your information, the old Pacey has been exorcized!” he tells them, smiling proudly. This is met with incredulous faces, so he insists. “I swear, I’m a new man. Promise! I’m getting on with my life without the help of the many beautiful women in Louisiana!”

”Why don’t you believe him?” Andie asks in his defense, only to be met by some more groans and puffs. Suddenly, Lily runs to their pew from the other side of the church where she was playing with Alex.

“Dawson, Dawson!” she calls for her brother excitedly. “I wanna show you something!”

Dawson looks at her, then at the others.

“Sorry, guys…” he apologizes. “Be back in a minute.”

Dawson and Lily take off.

“Isn’t she just the cutest thing?” Audrey asks, watching Lily drag Dawson outside.

“So cute,” Andie agrees. “I don’t remember much about being that age.” They start to reminisce about their childhoods.

“Odds are she’ll have a million-word vocabulary before she hits puberty!” Pacey says Jack, laughing. “So...?” Pacey asks. “Everything all right? I mean, with Amy?”

Jack sighs. He is moved and he truly appreciates everybody’s concern but at the same time he wishes they would stop asking him about it.

“Anything I can do to help?” Pacey offers.

“Just pray for us!” Jack mutters. “The thought of someone taking her away is just too much. If Jen were here, she’d… it’s just not fair!” he says finally, his hand turned into a fist.

“Maybe I can help,” Pacey suggests. “I spent some time in the world of shady players. I can help you form a strategy or something.”

“It’s personal, Pacey,” he argues.

“Jen was one of my closest friends. Doug’s my brother!” Pacey reminds him. “It’s personal for me too!”

Jack looks at Pacey and sees he is being serious. Slowly, Jack nods his head.

“Okay, come on…let’s talk, just not in here,” he says, motioning to all the buzz around them as people wait for the ceremony to start. “I don’t wanna bring everybody down.”

The two guys take off, Jack still holding Amy. Thus, Andie and Audrey are left alone, (not that they even notice).

“Something just occurred to me,” Andie is telling her. “You and I…we don’t know each other very well, do we? Well, actually, we don’t know each other at all.”

“We kind of do,” Audrey shrugged. “We know each other by reputation. You’re like the patron saint of Capeside. And though I’m not really into saints, I like you.”

Andie laughs. “I like you too.”

“Of course…” Audrey adds. “We do have one mutual link though. A certain tall, dark heartbreaker.”

“Oh, of course,” Andie laughs. “Pacey!”

“What got into us that we all went out with Mister Snoring?” Audrey says serious. “I mean it’s something that I have been asking myself for years. I even asked Joey but she couldn’t give me an answer.”

Andie laughs again. “Well, I don’t know what to tell you but I always have the excuse that I was too young and innocent to know what I was getting myself into,” she says joking but serious, enjoying their little game.

“Good answer. Maybe I can blame it on the stress that came with the first year at college. You think?” Audrey asks Andie.

“Definitely.” Andie answers. “What’d we ever see in that guy, anyway? He’s indecisive!”

“He’s weird!” Audrey adds.

“He’s pushy!”

“He’s moody!”

“He’s clingy!”

“And then there’s that whole thing where he somehow makes you laugh when you’re feeling miserable,” Audrey says finally.

“Yeah,” Andie agrees, smiling. “Or his penchant for treating you like a princess even when you treat him badly. That’s annoying. Did you know once he climbed all the way to my window just to give me a rose?”

“No way! Did he really?” Andie nods her head. “That little bastard never did anything like that for me. Well, except… that time when he came to the airport to tell me he wanted us to get back together when I was about to leave for L.A. Does that count?” Audrey asks Andie.

”Yes, I think it does.” The two of them laugh.

“You’ve got to admit, we were pretty lucky. You think he’s doing okay?” Audrey asks more concerned now, obviously referring to the whole Joey thing.

“I’m sure he is,” Andie replies. “If there’s one thing I know about Pacey Witter, it’s that he always picks himself back up.”

Unknown to either of them, Pacey had just finished talking with Jack and had been standing behind them for a while. But they were so into their conversation that they never noticed him.

“The thing about Pacey is that he always underestimated himself and I’m afraid that somehow, he still does,” Andie continues. “He really has no idea just what he’s capable of.”

Pacey smiles, then made his presence known.

“Hey?” he asks, gaining their attention. “What were you talking about?”

Andie and Audrey share a look.

“Nothing!” they say in unison and then begin laughing. Pacey just smiles.



At the church

Bessie is now dressed in her gown and Joey is just using the last hairpins to hold the veil in place. She looks amazing.

Mike’s smiling proudly at his daughters. Then they hear a knock at the door and Dawson opens the door a bit. “It’s me. Can I come in?”

Mike goes to the door and opens the door widely. “Sure, son. Come in,” he says, motioning him to enter.

“Hey. Sorry, I don’t want to intrude or anything,” he says, apologetically.

“Don’t worry, Dawson. You’re not,” Bessie says smiling at him in the mirror.

“Wow, Bessie,” he says, grinning at her from behind “You look…spectacular. Absolutely stunning.” She smiles at him.

“Thank you.”

Dawson turns to Mike, who is still watching Bessie and smiling proudly. “Mr. Potter, I didn’t have the chance to say hi before. How are you?” Dawson says, shaking Mike’s hand.

“Dawson, please call me Mike. We’re all adults now. And I’m fine, thank you,” Mike says brightly, taking in the man standing in front of him, the man Dawson has become.

“It’s good to see you again, Mike,” Dawson says firmly. Then he turns to Joey. “Joey, do you have a minute?”

“Yeah, just a sec,” she replies, making sure Bessie’s dress, make-up and hair is perfect. “Okay, I’m done. I’ll be back, Bess.” She squeezes Bessie’s hand before leaving the room with Dawson.

“Okay,” Bessie says as she contemplates her reflection in the mirror. She smiles sweetly as Mike approaches her.

“What’s up?” Joey asks Dawson as she closes the door behind them. Actually, she knows what he wants to talk about and she’s doesn’t know if she’s ready to yet.

“Joey, you know what I want to talk about. I can tell something’s wrong. And I saw your face. So I just want to see how you’re dealing with your father being back here. Are you okay?” he asks, concerned. This day that should be a happy one and it upsets him that Joey doesn’t seem to be enjoying it as she should.

“I’m fine, Dawson. Why shouldn’t I be?” she answers, looking everywhere but in his eyes. She knows she can’t fool him, but she can try, right?

“Jo…” he sighs.

“I don’t know, Dawson. He’s Bessie’s father too and it’s her wedding day. So I’m fine with him being here,” Joey says a little sharply.

“Okay, but I’m talking about you, not your sister,” Dawson explains gently. “Are you okay with him being here? Maybe if you let it out you will be able to enjoy the day after all,” he says.

“What, are you are my new therapist now?” she tries to joke, but she sees by Dawson’s face that is not working. “Honestly Dawson, I’m fine,” she answers, shrugging.

“Just fine?” he insists.

“Yeah, Dawson. I’m fine,” she replies, looking at him a little annoyed. But when she sees the concerned look on his face, she softens a bit and manages a small smile.

“I’m sorry, Dawson. Can we talk about this later? Because I have a nervous bride in there and the wedding is about to start,” Joey says, looking at him imploringly.

“Sure, I just wanted to make sure you were okay,” Dawson replies, concerned.

“Don’t worry, I will be,” she says, smiling back at him. She starts to go out the door but then she turns on her heels and grabs his hand.

“Thank you,” she whispers, squeezing his hand before she lets go, looking at him over her shoulder as she closes the door behind her.

Back in the inside of the church, where people is still waiting for the ceremony to start.

The ceremony has been delayed at last 20 minutes and people walk here and there, everybody mingling with everybody as they wait. Jack and Audrey chat animatedly with Grams and several other people, including Boddie and Dawson. Pacey sits close by but he looks slightly bored. He looks around and a smile forms on his face.

‘My two favorite blondes,’ Pacey thinks as he walks towards Andie and Amy, who are now sitting alone in the pew. Andie is chatting with Amy, who is standing on her feet in her lap, facing her, as if Amy were an equal. She is totally smitten with the girl since the moment she first saw her and it shows.

“You know Amy, I admire your hair color, it’s completely natural and becomes you,” says Andie with a half-serious smile, “and it goes so well with your outfit. Your sense of style is impeccable.” Andie looks around at that very same moment and sees Pacey walking towards them. Amy giggles in response and points at Pacey. “Yes, sweetie that’s Uncle Pacey. Now don’t flirt with him. He’s already got a huge ego as it is. He doesn’t need the prettiest girl here to think he’s got her wrapped around his little finger,” laughs Andie as Amy gets more excited as her Uncle Pacey draws closer to them.

“Ha ha, funny,” he says and Andie grins at him. “How’s my favorite little monster?” Pacey chuckles as he leans down to give Amy a hug.

“A.C.!” squeals Amy with delight.

“A.C.?” inquires Pacey as he hugs Amy and the little girl tries to crawl into Pacey´s lap as he sits by their side.

“I think she’s saying your name,” answers Andie, handing Amy to him “Amy is a woman of good taste. I think she is trying to inject some class into your name.”

“You think “AC” is better than “Pacey”?” asks Pacey with some incredulity.

“Well, you know there is an “AC Green” that plays basketball,” says Andie.

“Since when did you start watching basketball?” asks Pacey.

“There are so many things you don’t know about me,” says Andie with a mischievous smile. Pacey considers that, and then turns to Amy and says, “Your Aunt Andie has a point. I don’t know everything about her and if you like “AC” better than “Pacey,” then I’m Uncle AC.”

“AC! AC! AC!” yells Amy happily.

“Shhhhhhhhh,” whispers Andie both Amy and Pacey, “This is a church, we really need to show some decorum.” Andie sounded stern but her eyes seems to be smiling, thinks Pacey.

Pacey settles Amy down and straightens up. He looks at Amy while speaking to Andie. “Do you ever think about how weird it is that we share a niece? Who knew that the relative we shared would be Jack and Doug,” continues Pacey.

“Yeah, seems like we were bound to meet again time and time again. You know, for Amy’s birthdays and all that,” Andie says with a wave of her hand.

“Yeah, we’re doomed,” he laughs. “So… whether I like it or not, you’re back into my life, huh?” he asks playfully.

“Nice way to put it, Witter,” Andie says with a mock annoyed expression before they both break out in laughter.

“I just wish I had been here for Jen,” says Andie, her eyes misting over at the memory. “I had to leave so soon. I thought I would be back in time to see her again. But it didn’t work out that way,” says Andie.

“Life is too short,” replies Pacey, “which is a lesson I seem to keep learning over and over again.”

“Meaning?” inquires Andie, looking at him intensely as he plays with Amy’s little fingers.

“Meaning that I still miss Jen and I can’t believe she’s gone,” says Pacey simply.

“Is that all you’re referring to?” asks Andie, and he raises his head to look at her.

“If that is your not so subtle way of asking about Joey, then yes, I was referring to her too,” says Pacey with a sigh, “Jen told me to just let go and find happiness by myself. But idiot me, I decided to run after Joey again. I don’t seem to be able to take advice, even when it came from Jen.”

“So now what?” prods Andie.

“Now that I have had the time to think about it, I see that I kept myself wrapped up in her memories, remembering only the good things, finding solace in them even when things weren’t right. I convinced myself that Joey had been the only thing worthwhile in my life. And that was just an illusion. But now I know I wasn’t really happy with Joey and she wasn’t happy with me. Now with 20/20 hindsight, I know that after Jen died I was just afraid to let anything go and that included Joey. I think I wanted to believe I was in high school again and that life was simple and none of my friends would change and leave me behind again.”

“A very brave statement to make in front of an ex-high school girlfriend,” says Andie with a wry smile.

“I think I was afraid to figure out who I was without obsessing over Joey,” muses Pacey. “I look back at it all now and I wonder whether I wanted Joey because she wanted Dawson and I was jealous of what they had,” continues Pacey. “Something I thought I would never be able to have again since you and I ended things, you know?”

Andie just looks at him, a sad smile on her face.

“I was stupid,” says Pacey with a smile, “and maybe I still am but there is something about the way Joey looks at you and she has such a way with words. I just bought it -- hook, line and sinker – even though I knew that they were just words. I suppose that’s why she’s an editor now, she’s good at illusions and knows exactly what to say. But I’m just glad it’s over now,” sighs Pacey, “I need to move on and be healthy. Somehow being with Joey was toxic for both of us.” A comfortable silence falls over them.

“I want to learn to be whole again,” Pacey suddenly says, squaring his shoulders with determination. “And without Joey and our unhealthy relationship, I’m finally getting there.”

“The onset of adulthood,” says Andie, “congratulations.”

He just throws her a mock glare before talking again.

“I keep thinking about what you had once told me,” says Pacey. “That you were proud of me for finishing high school. You were the only one that ever told me that.” They share a silent smile and then, without taking his eyes off her, Pacey adds softly, “You amaze me, Andie McPhee”

Andie laughs, surprised at that statement, but also very flattered. “And why is that?”

“Because with you, I say things I hadn’t been able to put into words. They were just ideas swirling in my mind. I mean, you actually made my inner dialogue make sense!” He smiles at her laughter. “But I think you were always able to do that.”

“You think or you know?” she asks, cocking her eyebrow.

Pacey thinks about it for a moment. “Actually, I know it.”

“So when does the charming rapscallion -- the true Pacey Witter, I mean “AC Witter” return?” continues Andie.

“I think he may just have a chance if he dances with the two prettiest blondes at the reception,” says Pacey as he looks at Andie and Amy. “What do you say Amy, will you save a dance for your Uncle AC?” Pacey asks Amy with adult-like seriousness.

“AC!” squeals Amy as she reaches her little hand toward Pacey´s mouth and twists his bottom lip, making Pacey grimace.

“Yeah, I’d say your charm may have just returned,” says Andie laughing.

“Mojo,” said Pacey.

“I wouldn’t go that far,“ retorts Andie. “After all, while Amy is a women of discriminating taste, she hasn’t seen you dance yet.”

“And what about you, Andie? Will you save a dance for me to help me restore my mojo?” asks Pacey.

“We’ll see. I may have a better offer but who knows? Stranger things have happened,” she teases.

“I’m looking forward to it,” says Pacey, trying to escape Amy’s hands again.


Not far away, still inside the church

Pachebel’s Canon in D floats through the air as Dawson surveys the church. The pews are festooned with colorful flowers and white gauze. ‘It seems like the church has come alive with the love,’ thinks Dawson. “Now I’m beginning to be as sappy as my staff of writers have accused me of,” Dawson chastises himself. “But there might be a couple of good scenes that I can steal for my show,” thinks Dawson wryly.

Dawson looks up and sees Joey watching him with an amused face.

“You have your work face on,” she laughs as she approaches him. “I am dying to know exactly what you thinking about just now. Can you give me some spoilers? Are you gonna include all of this in a future episode, the nervous bridesmaid driving everyone nuts?” she asks, grinning at him.

Dawson smiles and looks at Joey. “Well, that discussion is just going to have to wait until we walk down the aisle.” Dawson knows he meant it as a joke but something about being in this church with Joey at his side seems to speak of forgotten possibilities and he blushes slightly at the comment.

Joey looks down for a minute and coughs, adding quickly, “Well, it’s time for this show to start. I’ll be back in a minute, okay?” she says, looking up at him.

“I’ll be waiting for you.“ With that Dawson smiles at Joey and she smiles back at him, although she doesn’t move for a moment, something keeping her frozen in that spot as she looks at Dawson. Then she quickly turns around and walks to the front of the church to talk to Bodie.

Dawson walks to the last pew and sits down, nodding politely at the people sitting nearby. Then, everybody’s attention is drawn to the end of the aisle.

As the music for the procession starts, Lily does a very studious job of dropping the flowers down the aisle. Dawson laughs inwardly, while some guests laugh outright. Lily has taken to heart what Joey has asked her to do, which is to drop a flower every two feet. Lily seems to be dropping flowers exactly every two feet -- well, as close as one so young could. Alex being a little older and a little more wise, bears his responsibilities as the ring bearer a little less seriously than Lily.

Joey appears and walks serenely down the aisle. Dawson watches her, a smile spreading across his face and Joey holds his gaze as she walks towards him. He thinks she looks beautiful. Joey thinks he looks older and is half-amused, half-impressed at how he seems to be able to see right into her soul. With her trademark half smile, she walks by his side and for a moment they just gaze at each other, smiles playing in the corner of their mouths. It’s one of these moments of total understanding and easiness. Then they return their attention to the ceremony.

Soon the wedding march begins and Mike proudly walks Bessie down the aisle. Dawson feels Joey shifting by his side and he turns to watch her, seeing tears form in her eyes.

Dawson leans over whispers in her ear, “Now don’t go all female on me, Josephine.” Joey smiles and leans in closer to him. Dawson wraps his arm around her waist and laughs softly. Joey nestles herself against Dawson and puts her head on his shoulder as they listen to the ceremony, content and enjoying the moment.

Bessie turns to Bodie and says, “I know we talked about not doing our own vows but I found this old Apache poem and with some expert help.” She shoots a side look at Joey. “I have something I want to read to you,” stumbles Bessie. She turns to Bodie and starts to read:

"It stretches far behind us, and our future lies ahead--
A long and winding road where every turning brings discovery
Old hopes, new laughter, shared tears,
Our adventure has just begun
The music of the Creek flows beside us as we dance
and we'll turn together
And look to the road we travelled to reach this--
The hour of our happiness
It stretches far behind us, and our future lies ahead--
A long and winding road where every turning brings discovery
Old hopes, new laughter, shared tears,
Our adventure has just begun"

Bessie has a serene expression on her face as she reads to Bodie, tears brimming in her eyes. Bodie is near tears as well, and he knows he couldn’t speak right now even if he wanted to. So many years spent by this woman’s side and he still feels so much love for her.

Joey looks at Dawson, trying to read his expression. She helped to write the poem while thinking about their connection, their unbreakable bond and what their friendship, restored over and over again, means to her. Dawson can see the tears shimmering in her eyes and he wipes them with his thumb as he did some months ago by the creek.

As he hears the words that Joey had helped craft for Bessie and Bodie, it’s almost as if she were speaking of not only Bessie and Boddie, but of love in general. Of the powerful feelings that grow stronger and deeper despite having to overcome daunting circumstances. Because that is what love is all about. And the poem speaks beautifully of it.

“That was incredible,” Dawson whispers and Joey beams at him, leaning her head on his shoulder once more.

The minister says a few more words, and announces Boddie and Bessie as husband and wife. Bessie and Boddie kiss and turn to greet their guests.

‘What a perfect moment,’ thinks Joey.