Login     Help

7.08 - I do by Paula, Deb, Kayden

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teaser – Gale’s house, main bedroom

It’s early in the morning. The sun rises over the Leery house, giving a feeling of tranquillity. Slightly misleading, considering the event that is about to take place. After a courtship of over a decade, Boddie and Bessie are getting married.

Inside, Dawson enters his mother’s bedroom, dressed in a dark blue suit and tugging on the cuffs of his shirt.

“Almost ready?” he asks Gale.

“Almost,” she responds, straightening her dress as she looks at herself in the mirror. Then she turns around to face her son. “How do I look, sweetie?”

“Stunning, as always,” he tells her. “If you looked any better, you’d probably upstage Bessie. And try to not let John see you before we leave or you’ll be late,” he says, winking at her.

Gale opens her eyes wide and then just laughs. “Dawson!” she exclaims, a mock severe tone in her voice. Dawson just smiles as he fixes his tie. Or tries to at least. Gale steps closer to him

“Here, let me help you,” she says. “I don’t know what’s wrong with you guys but none of you never seem to get this right. Okay, there you go,” she says, and stares at him for a moment. Dawson looks at her, slightly puzzled.

“What?” he says. His mother sighs and he knows what is about to come so he tries not to roll his eyes.

“You’re so… grown up,” she states. “I know, I know,” she adds, laughing softly at Dawson’s face. “But even after all this time, I’m amazed at how far you’ve come. Remember how insecure you used to be about your movies? Now look at you! A pillar of confidence. If only your father could see you now.”

“I’m not that confident!” Dawson argues, but he feels a warm rush go through him as he always does when she mentions his father and how he would feel about him. “And I hope he is.”

Son and mother exchange a look. Gale loves John, but still, she likes to talk with Dawson about Mitch, to remind him what his father would have said about his life if only he had been there to share it with them.

Seeing as how this might not be the best moment to conjure up memories of the past, she quickly decides to change the subject.

“Oh, I never got the chance to thank you for inviting Lily to New York on Halloween!” she recalls in a brighter tone. “She said you guys had a lot of fun.”

“Well…” Dawson smirks as he reaches for his jacket off the hook, where his mother hung it neatly yesterday when he arrived home. “Some more than others. Like you always say, some things never change.”

As if on cue, Lily suddenly comes running in. She is already dressed in her bridesmaid’s gown.

“Well, speak of the angel!” Dawson exclaims with a smile at the sight of his little sister.

Lily grins back at him and does a little curtsey, which makes Dawson chuckle. “Wow, Mom!” Lily says, looking at her mom with admiration. “You look so pretty!”

“Why, thank you sweetheart,” Gale replies. “You do, too!”

”Thanks,” she responds brightly. “John wants to know if is gonna take much longer. He’s waiting downstairs,” Lily says, turning around in front of the mirror as she poses the question and waits for the answer, admiring her dress.

“We’ll be down in a moment, Lily,” Dawson tells her, amused at her primping in the mirror.

“Okay! I get front seat!” she exclaims, then takes off like a flash. Dawson can’t help but laugh at her enthusiasm.

“Was I ever that young?” he asks.

“You were worse,” Gale informs him. “You and Joey were quite a handful.” Dawson nods, his eyes a million miles away. “Where is Joey, anyway?” his mother asks him casually.

“At the B&B,” he replies, just as casual. “She wants to give her sister the perfect wedding. Hopefully she’ll succeed.”

“Hopefully?” Gale asks, raising her eyebrows with curiosity.

(Music of the credits start playing)

“Well, the track record leaves a lot to be desired, Mom,” he reminds her. “Every time we go to a wedding, something bad happens. Forgive me for being a little antsy.”

For a moment they fall silent. It’s been only a few months since the last one and they remember perfectly well what happened. How could they forget?

Gale rests a reassuring hand in his arm and smiles at him. “Don’t be so nervous. You’d think you were the one getting married!” she adds then, jokingly.

“Yeah, like that’ll ever happen!” Dawson says with a smirk.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that,” she teases. “Good things have this habit of happening to good people.”

“I’m not even seeing anyone right now,” he reminds her.

“Oh, what a coincidence,” she states. “Neither is Joey.”

Dawson freezes, as Gale heads downstairs. He shakes his head in amazement.

“Some things never change…” he mutters, following her downstairs.

CREDITS


Potter’s B&B, Bessie’s bedroom

Bessie is sitting in front of a beautiful mirror, looking extremely nervous and shaking her leg constantly.

“Come on, Bess. Stop it!” Joey says, a little nervous herself. “If you don’t stop shaking, I’m never gonna finish doing your hair.”

“Sorry, sis,” Bessie says, apologizing. “I don’t know what’s gotten into me.”

Joey smiles. “Well, maybe what has gotten into you is your wedding, silly.”

Bessie smiles nervously. “Yeah, maybe. But I just don’t understand why I’m so nervous.”

“Neither do I, honestly. It’s not like you two just met or something. You’ve been together for more than twelve years now. You even have a ten year old child,” Joey answers, trying to calm her sister down with reassuring words.

“I know, Jo. But, I don’t know. Somehow it feels different to be married. It’s like this way it’s…”

“More definitive?” Joey ends, knowing full well what Bessie means. She did, after all, run from away from New York the moment she found a wedding ring amongst her boyfriend’s clothes. Definitive had never been a word that had much weight in her vocabulary anyway. Whenever she thought something was definitive… well, it wasn’t. It never was.

“Yeah, kind of.” Bessie nods. “I don’t know. It’s like all this time together, despite of Alex, it’s been like a test, more… frivolous?. No, that is not the word…”

“I think you’re searching for casual,” Joey mumbles, her mouth full of hairpins.

“Yeah, casual... with a lot of obligations. We’ve gone through a lot of things together, and all that but… but now, that we’re gonna be married… it’s like we will have to be together, no matter what. And I know it sounds stupid because we’ve been together for a long time, and as you said, we even have a child together. Does any of this make any sense to you, Jo? Being scared even though you know you shouldn’t?” Bessie asks, a little unsettled.

“Yeah, but don’t ask me to explain it any better because I can’t. I do know exactly what you mean, though,” Joey answers with a sigh. Bessie just shoots her a glance through the mirror, and Joey pretends she doesn’t notice.

“So how are things going with…” Bessie asks

“You can say it out loud, Bessie,” she says, rolling her eyes. “Therapist. It’s called a therapist.” She places one more hairpin in Bessie’s hair. “And it’s going well, actually.” Bessie smiles at Joey’s reflection in the mirror and Joey smiles back. “Okay, now stay still, don’t ruin my work of art,” Joey laughs. “You’re beautiful, Bess,” Joey says, contemplating her nervous, yet radiant, sister.

“Thanks, Joey,” Bessie answers, blushing a little as Joey makes the last adjustments to the hairdo.

“I’m thirsty. I’m gonna get something to drink and when I get back, I’ll do your make up,” Joey says, shaking a finger to Bessie’s direction as she walks out of the room.

When she enters the kitchen she finds her father, Mike, all dressed up and leaning on the counter, drinking some coffee.

“Hi, honey. How is it going in there?” Mike asks smiling.

“Hi, Dad. Great. Her hair is done so we only have her make up left. And the dress, of course,” Joey answers, letting out a tired sigh as she washes her hands under the water.

“Weddings are so stressful, aren’t they? If you had seen your mother… she was shaking even when she was saying her vows,” Mike laughs softly while Joey only gives him a half smile as she dries her hands. Mike clears his throat. “Joey, we haven’t had the chance to talk much since you arrived yesterday what with everything going on but… how are things going in the Big Apple?” Mike asks, trying to start a conversation.

“Fine,” Joey answers, now taking a bottle of juice from the fridge.

“Fine? Wow, I remembered you being more eloquent,” Mike jokes. Or he tries to, at least.

“What do you mean?” Joey asks, furrowing her brow.

“I don’t know. I just wanted to know about your life in New York. Your job, your apartment… you know, those kind of things,” Mike says, hopefully.

“Well, I’m not sure what do you want me to say. Everything’s good in New York. I have a great apartment. My job is going well. Sometimes it’s overwhelming but I love it,” Joey answers, shrugging her shoulders.

“And what exactly are you doing?” Mike asks, wanting to know more about his daughter.

“I’m an editor. When an author writes a new manuscript, I read through it and find the mistakes, correcting things if I think they need to be rewritten. Then I tell my boss if I think if a manuscript deserves to be published. Things like that,“ Joey explains.

“Wow! That sounds important,” Mike says, his voice filled with proud for his little girl.

“Well, it’s not that important. It’s just us doing our job.” Joey responds.

("The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera, starts playing in the background)

“And what about your love life?” he asks, smiling.

Young girl, don't cry
I'll be right here when your world starts to fall

“What about it?” she asks back, suddenly becoming tense.

“Your sister told me about you and this guy, Chris, and then you and Pacey,” he explains, a little concerned.

Young girl, it's all right
Your tears will dry, you'll soon be free to fly

“What did she tell you?” Joey asks, suddenly wanting to kill her older sister.

“Oh, nothing. Just that you broke upi with Chris and you and Pacey got together right after that and after Gale’s wedding… and that you and Pacey had also broken up not too long ago,” Mike answers, noticing the change in his daughter’s mood.

When you're safe inside your room you tend to dream
Of a place where nothing's harder than it seems
No one ever wants or bothers to explain
Of the heartache life can bring and what it means

“Well, that’s about it. We tried it for a while and it didn’t work so we broke up,” Joey says, shrugging.

“And Dawson?”

“What abut him?” Joey says, getting impatient and angry.

When there's no one else
Look inside yourself
Like your oldest friend

“Are you two going to… you know, ever give it another try?” Mike asks curious. He has been waiting for years to hear the news of Joey and Dawson getting back together but it never came and he doesn’t really know why.

Just trust the voice within
Then you'll find the strength
That will guide your way
If you will learn to begin
To trust the voice within

“What’s with the third degree about my love life, Dad?” Joey asks, this time clearly angry.

“It’s not the third degree, sweetie.” Mike backs off, now regretting he ever asked anything about Pacey or Dawson. “I’m just concerned about you. I know you’ve been in love with Dawson for a long time and I thought that maybe since you two are back together in the same city…” Mike explains.

Now in a world where innocence is quickly claimed
It's so hard to stand your ground when you're so afraid

“What’s up with everybody trying to get Dawson and I back together?” she asks, raising her voice. Her feelings are confusing enough.

“Well, maybe we see things that you two refuse to,” Mike replies, calmly.
No one reaches out a hand for you to hold
When you're lost outside look inside to your soul

“What do you want from me, Dad?” Joey suddenly snaps, upset.

“I just want to know you,” Mike explains, softly.

“You want to know me? I’m living my life in New York where I have a job that I love. I have friends I adore to spend my free time with. That’s all you need to know,” Joey fumes.

“No, it’s not all I need to know. You’re my daughter, Joey. I want to know ALL about you,” Mike says, a little upset too.

“Look. I know we’ve been in contact for a while now but you’ve been far from being a real father to me for the last ten years. Polite meetings once a year and brief conversations over the phone just don’t cut it. I’d say you’ve lost any rights to interrogate me about my life. And about Dawson, it’s none of your business,” Joey says a little too sharply.

“If it’s about you, it is my business, Joey. And if I’ve been distant, it’s just because you won’t let me in. Because every time I try to get close to you like I’m doing right now, you close yourself off from me and ignore my efforts,” Mike says, trying to keep his voice under control so as to not show her how much her words hurt him.

Life is a journey
It can take you anywhere you choose to go

“Well, maybe you should have tried harder... sooner. Maybe that’s what I wanted you to do: to insist a little, to reassure me that you wanted to be there as my father. And not just when it’s convenient for you.”

“But Joey, one can only push for so long--” Mike starts.

As long as you're learning
You'll find all you'll ever need to know

“Joey! We’re gonna be late!” Bessie yells from her bedroom.

“Excuse me, Dad. I have to help Bessie finish getting ready.” And with that she leaves the kitchen, angry as ever, leaving behind a very upset and concerned Mike.

Young girl don't cry
I'll be right here when your world starts to fall

The Potter B&B

Jack surveys the Potter Bed & Breakfast. It is, he thinks, the same yet different. The small inn has been repainted but the flowers still bloom and daisies still fill the yard. Not yard, “grounds,” he corrects himself. It is all the B&B’s grounds now, not Joey’s backyard anymore. It feels odd to stand here after so long and remembers what life was like when he first came to Capeside. Jack thinks back to the first time he visited Joey’s home. It wasn’t the “Potter Bed & Breakfast” back then. It was simply Joey’s ramshackle home next to the Creek. He had been such a klutz back then and Joey had made him so nervous. Well, not really Joey, but Jack himself: “a guy who had refused to come to grips with his sexuality.” Jack tousles Amy’s blond locks.

Somehow with the sunlight moving across the creek, the sound of laughter floating in the air, and Amy’s small hand in his, his life becomes suddenly bearable. His life without his soulmate, Jen, is somehow less painful. Moments like these seem to ease the pain of Jen’s passing.

Jack breaks from his reverie. “You know, Amy? One day I’m going to have to tell you how your dad humiliated himself in front of your Aunt Joey.” Jack grins at the thought of Joey’s scarlet face when the towel had fallen off his hips. He is sure that it was the first time she had seen a guy in that particular state. Amy looks up curiously at Jack and for a brief moment, Jack could clearly see Jen staring up at him in her blue eyes. Amy seems to be an old soul just like her mother, wisdom radiating from her innocent eyes. “On second thought, I think I’ll tell you that story when you’re thirty,” Jack chuckles as he lifts Amy into his arms, checking that the little coat is tight around her and her red hat is firm on her head. He carries her to the front door of the B&B. It’s the fist time she’s gotten out of the house since being discharged from the hospital and he is a little apprehensive.

Jack knocks the door and Mike opens it, smiling broadly at the sight of them.

“Amy, what an angel you are!” Mike exclaims, leaning to touch Amy’s cheek.

“I never get greeted anymore when I’m with Amy,” Jack grins in response. “I am merely part of her entourage.”

“Jack, I didn’t mean to be rude but Amy is the star of the show,” Mike laughs in response, still smiling at the baby for a moment before turning his attention to his daughter’s friend.

“So how are things here at B&B? Is the bride still in one piece or has she had the usual breakdown?” asks Jack.

Mike laughs. “Joey is taking care of her so I assume everything is okay.”

“And business is good?”

“Yeah, business is good,” answers Mike. “It’s not easy sometimes but nothing worth having is ever easy. Not when it comes to business, not when it comes to your family. And I hate to break this to you, but all daughters end up breaking their father’s hearts,” Mike sighs. “So enjoy this time you have with your daughter.” Mike claps Jack on the back as Joey walks into the hall.

“I think I’ll check on Bessie,” says Mike. With that, Mike leaves Joey and Jack to talk.

“What was that about?” asks Joey, frowning.

“I think your father was waxing sentimental regarding your lost youth,” Jack replies as he follows her to the living room.

“My what?” says Joey. “May I remind you I am in my mid-twenties? And that no one, except for you and Dawson, is remotely close to being an adult or having an established career,” continues Joey. “We’re all assistants or assistants to assistants. It’s all so maddening.”

“Interesting,” says Jack, “why do you think I’m an adult and you’re not?” he asks as he sits down on the sofa.

“Amy obviously,” Joey turns to the child and takes off her hat, combing her blonde curls with her hand lovingly, to Amy’s delight. She smiles up at Joey and Joey smiles back at her as she continues. “Amy seems to have made you more mature and stable than the rest of us.”

“You mean ‘prematurely gray,’ don’t you?” sighs Jack as Joey lifts Amy into her arms for a hug. “By the end of the adoption proceedings I’ll probably be a lot more gray.” Jack leans back on the couch and looks at his baby girl seriously. “No one can tell me with certainty whether I will get to keep Amy,” says Jack tightly. Joey hugs Amy a little closer.

“Has anything changed recently?” she asks as she cradles Amy in her arms.

“No,” says Jack flatly, “I could still lose her. But let’s not talk about this today. I just can’t go over all of this again and tell you the ten different ways I could lose her in the court proceedings. It’s just too painful for me to rehash.”

“It’s okay, Jack,” replies Joey, sitting by his side and Amy immediately crawling back into Jack’s lap. “Just remember that I’m here for you and Amy and so is everyone else.”

“Thanks for not letting me get too melancholy,” says Jack with a weak smile, kissing the top of Amy’s head as she nestles herself securely against his chest. “Sometimes it all gets to me.”

Joey glances down at her watch and says with a smile, “You’re saved by the bell. We really need to get to the church.” And with that, they leave arm in arm.



The Capeside church

The oldest and nicest church in the whole town is decorated from top to bottom with white flowers, the air heavy with its fragrance. People start to arrive. Dawson and Pacey are already inside the church, together, standing there in their tuxedos.

“So, how are things going in New Orleans?” Dawson asks.

“Great, the restaurant is great. Danny might not be the greatest person in this world but he lets me run it at my way,” Pacey answers, his hands in his pockets. “And what about you and your Spielberg project?”

“Well, we’re still finalizing the locations. But soon we’ll be start shooting and I’m really looking forward to it,” Dawson says smiling.

Then, both men stand in silence, lost in their own thoughts.

“So, how’s the weather in New Orleans?” Dawson asks and immediately feels the urge to slap himself. Great question.

Pacey looks at him weird. “Hot as hell,” he laughs. “I told Danny I need air conditioning in my apartment because the streets are even hotter than the houses so opening the windows for fresh air is out of the question.”

“Well, I hope you get it,” Dawson says awkwardly.

Another uncomfortable silence falls between them.

“We’ll have to talk about her sooner or later, don’t you think?” Dawson says, suddenly.

Pacey closes his eyes and nods. “I know.” He looks up. “It’s just that it’s weird being here to talk about this… again. I mean, haven’t we done this a few too many times?”

Dawson nods in understanding, letting out a throaty chuckle. “True. So… how are you taking it… this time?” he asks trying to keep his tone light yet concerned at the same time.

“Fine.” He sees Dawson looking at him with a ‘yeah, right’ look. Pacey sighs. Did he really give the impression of being that hang up on Joey? That he couldn’t survive without her? “Really. I’m okay with it. It still hurts a little, you know, because I thought that it would be for real this time. But we did the right thing. We weren’t happy together and it’s better that we ended it when we did,” Pacey says with a sad smile.

“Or maybe you just need time and then everything will go back to – “

“Back to what? Dawson, trust me. No matter how many times she would… chose me,” he says with a half bitter half ironic tone, “I would never have her entirely. There will always be this part of her that I would never be able to have… never be able to reach.”

The memory of him and Joey sitting in the swings, many years ago, flashes through Dawson’s mind. “No matter who you’re with… you will always have a piece of my heart.” But he disregards it quickly.

Pacey throws a knowing and resigned look at Dawson. This is the first time he has acknowledged this out loud, and it had to be to, of all people, Dawson. And somehow it feels… right. For a long time it had been about Dawson and Joey, and then him and Joey, and now… now he is just tired of playing the third wheel. He is walking away. He is giving up on chasing the impossible. And something inside him tells him that maybe that is the way it should have always been.

“But just because you two have broken up doesn’t mean that you has to walk out of her life, Pacey. I’m sure that’s not what she wants,” Dawson finally says.

Pacey looks at him surprised. “I didn’t walk out of her life,” he retorts back.

“Well, at least it looks like you did. You haven’t talked to her or to me, for that matter, since you left for New Orleans,” Dawson says, looking him in the eye. Pacey stares back at him and sees he’s being sincere.

“I know. I just… needed some time I guess,” Pacey says, a smile in his face.

“I understand,” Dawson replies and the funny thing is, he really does.

By now, a great part of the awkwardness has disappeared and as they stand there, just smiling to each other, their history, with its good and bad moments passes between them. Two long time friends, finally coming to an understanding about each other, in the middle of a church, in the small town of their far gone childhood days.

“Well, we made it. We talked about her,” Pacey jokes.

“Yeah,” Dawson replies laughing.

They’re finally found a way to have a friendly, awkward free conversation when they see a familiar blonde making her entrance into the church with Grams. Grams sits in a pew but her companion doesn’t. Instead, she spots them and beams, waving.

Dawson can see Pacey´s expression. He’s stunned as he stares at the blonde and Dawson is very surprised to see Andie McPhee walking towards them, wearing a light pink dress that falls just below her knees.

Pacey´s face soon breaks into a big grin as Andie approaches them, mirroring his huge smile. As she approaches, Pacey immediately picks her up in a tight hug and twirls her around under Dawson’s amused gaze. She squeals in delight as he laughs. “Andie! I didn’t know you were coming!”

“I know! I somehow managed to get the weekend off and didn’t have time to call anyone before I hopped on the plane,” she laughs, still in his arms.

When finally Pacey puts her back on her feet, Dawson takes his turn hugging her. “Andie, it’s so good to see you,” he says and she smiles, resting her chin on his shoulder.

“Well, Dr. McPhee. How’s life treating you?” Pacey says happily, when Dawson releases her.

“Wonderful,” she says with her usual bright mood. “And what about you guys? Jack usually keeps me pretty up-to-date but lately with the whole Amy thing…”

“Yeah, I know. It sucks,” Pacey says, turning serious.

“Yeah, it does. But we have time to talk about that later. Now I want to know about you, so spill,” she says cheerfully, looking from one to another.

“Well, there’s been a few changes. I guess Jack told you about this job in New Orleans?” Pacey sees her nodding. “Then, I’m afraid that there’s nothing else to say. I’ve become this totally boring person,” Pacey jokes with a pouty face.

“Come on, Pacey. You’re anything but a boring person,” Andie says, shoving him gently. “And what about you, Dawson?”

“Well, I’m afraid that I’m not that interesting either. I’m assuming Jack told you about me moving to New York and why I’m there.” Andie nods again. “See? We’re both completely mundane people,” Dawson smiles.

“Come on, Dawson! All those years living in L.A. and you don’t have any wild stories to tell us?” Andie jokes, teasing him.

“None that I can tell right now,” Dawson answers with a sly grin.

“And what about you and your European adventure?” Pacey asks.

“European adventure? When you put it like that…” she says, making a funny face. They all laugh and they’re still laughing when they hear a squeal coming from the entrance.

“Oh, my God! Everything is so beautiful! I have arrived!”

Audrey has indeed arrived, as discreet and reserved as always. Andie is watching her with wide eyes as the boys smile and shake their heads in amusement. As she approaches them, smiling widely, Dawson greets her.

“Hey, Audrey. You made it,” he says, smiling.

“Yes, I did!” she grins, hugging him tight. “Isn’t it great?” She winks at him as she untangles herself from their hug, and Dawson laughs. “It’s so good to see you Mr. Hollywood!” Dawson can’t help but grin back and Audrey turns to Pacey.

“Hey, Witter. Too bad I can’t say the same about you…” she teases with a mock frown, pretending that she’s not glad to see him at all.

“I love you too, Audrey,” Pacey says mockingly. “Oh, come on. I deserve a hug, don’t I?”

“Oh, what the hell!“ she laughs. “Come here!” They laugh as they hug each other.

Andie observes the exchange, amused. She has heard about Audrey but this is the first time they’ve ever met. When she sees that the three of them have finished, she clears her throat.

Audrey turns around at the sound and sees Andie, whom she hadn’t notice yet.

“Hello,” she says, looking at Dawson and Pacey with an inquiring look in her face. The girl seems familiar, as if she had seen her before but where?

“Oh, I forgot you two don’t know each other. Audrey, this is Andie McPhee, Jack’s sister. And, Andie, this is Audrey Liddell, another Worthington alum,” Pacey introduces them.

“Oh my God! You’re the Andie!” Audrey squeals, hugging her.

Andie laughs as she finds herself enveloped in Audrey’s arms. “Yeah, I think so.”

“I’ve seen some pictures of you, They’re all from years ago, I think. Dawson said they used to hang on his wall.”

“Oh, really? I remember these pictures. God, yeah, you’re right, that was so long ago!” Andie says, laughing.

“It so was,” Dawson agrees and Pacey nods his head.

Just then, Joey enters the church, followed by Jack who is carrying Amy. They walk towards the pew where Grams is sitting and chatting with Gale and John. Gale coos at Amy and takes her, sitting her in her lap. Immediately, Joey spots the group and grabs Jack’s arm, pulling him over to the group.

“Andie! I’m so happy you made it!“ Joey exclaims as she hugs her while Jack hugs Audrey. “I thought you couldn’t come!”

“I know. I somehow managed to talk the hospital into giving me some more time off.”

“We are all so glad you’re here,” Joey says, rubbing her back. Then she turns to Audrey, who has just been released by Jack.

“Hey! I wasn’t sure if you were gonna make it either. I’m glad you found some time from your busy touring career to mingle with us little people,” Joey teases.

“I always find time for the little people,” she says dramatically before dissolves into giggles. “It would have never been the same without me.” Audrey laughs.

“Never,” Joey laughs along with her. She turns and finds herself face to face with Dawson.

“Hey there,” she says, as they hug. “You look gorgeous,” he whispers in her ear while they’re still hugging, making her blush a little. She thanks him with a look.

“Hi, Pace,” she says, kind of shyly, hugging him too but it’s an awkward hug and everyone can tell. Maybe it’s awkward because they know all eyes are on them as they greet each other. But everybody pretends not to be looking as they make small talk.

“Hi, Potter. You look good,” he compliments her, a little nervous himself. This is the first time they’ve see each other in months and it’s weird to think how different everything is now.

“Thanks. You don’t look too bad yourself,” she replies, smiling at him.

“Well, you know me. I don’t need much to look good so when I dress up a little…” He says with a chuckle.

Joey rolls her eyes but she also laughs. She watches him and suddenly, she knows that everything’s going be okay between them.

Pacey can see it too and a feeling of relief washes over him. Everything is gonna be fine. Smiling, he hugs her again. This time the hug is a bit longer and Dawson who is watching them out of the corner of his eye smiles, happy his two friends are at peace with each other.

They’re all chatting when Mike comes out looking for Joey. “Hi guys,” he greets the group. “Joey, honey. Bessie is asking for you,” Mike says.

“My work is never done. I’ll be there in a sec, Dad,” Joey answers.

Dawson is by her side and felt her tense up when Mike appeared. Concerned, he puts his hand on her back in an attempt to reassure her.

“Is everything okay, Joey?”

Joey looks at him and sees the concern in his eyes. “Everything’s fine,” she says, half smiling before turning to the rest of the group. “Sorry, guys. I have to calm the bride down. I’ll see everyone later,” she says and hurries off, shooting one last glance at Dawson. He watches her walk away with a worried look in his face, knowing that something is bothering her, no matter what she says.

“We should probably go and find out seats,” Jack recommends, and everybody nods as they join Grams, Gale, John and Amy.