Login     Help

Everybody Hurts by Adam

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
INT. VIDEO STORE - DAY

DAWSON is putting away movies in the back while PACEY is sitting on a chair with his feet kicked up on the counter reading the classifieds.

DAWSON: Any luck?

Pacey puts down the newspaper.

PACEY: One thousand, six hundred, forty-four dollars and ninety-two cents. That’s how much I’ve saved while working in this veritable rat-hole – and can I find a decent car? No. I’m stuck choosing between a ‘78 Nova and a moped.

DAWSON: (laughing) That moped would be choice.

PACEY: It’s hard to look cool when you need to pedal to start your engine. And Dawson, I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but I don’t need anything else going against me in the coolness department.

DAWSON: Well, I personally think that you should go for something sensible.

Dawson walks over, looks at the classified ads in the newspaper and points at an ad.

DAWSON: Here. How about this one? I can totally see you driving around in a Yugo.

PACEY: A Yugo? Please! I’m 16 and I just got my license. Now, granted, I can’t get a Viper given my current state of employment, but I can do better than a Yugo. I need something that will stand out – make a statement. Pacey begins scanning the classified ads again.

DAWSON: Well, can’t you talk your dad into lending you some money? I’m sure he’d be ecstatic for you to get your own car and stop borrowing squad cars from Capeside’s finest.

PACEY: You’re joking, right? My father would never lend me the money. He might have to take time out of his drinking binges to write a check, and we can’t have THAT, can we? Hey - What about this one? "1968 Ford Mustang. Convertible. Needs work. Great project car. $1500."

Dawson looks at the ad Pacey is pointing to.

DAWSON: Pacey, it says, "Will tow to purchaser’s residence." Forgive me for interjecting the voice of reason into your delusion, but we don’t know a thing about fixing cars.

PACEY: Okay, okay. But I’ve got to find a set of wheels soon - I’m getting desperate. I need the liberty that an automobile would bring to my life. You’d benefit too, you know.

DAWSON: Great. I’d be the first teenager in Capeside with his own personal chauffeur.

PACEY: (with a British accent) Where to today, sir?

Dawson tosses Pacey a videotape.

DAWSON:How about to the back of the store to help me finish putting away these movies?

Pacey gets up and heads to the back.

PACEY: Ah, very good, sir.

FADE TO CREDITS
SIDEWALK IN DOWNTOWN CAPESIDE – DAY

Dawson is walking down the street with a bag in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. He hears a girl call him from behind.

GIRL: Dawson!!

Dawson turns around to see an attractive girl of his age running towards him. She looks familiar but he can’t quite place the face…

DAWSON: Hi.

GIRL: You don’t remember me.

DAWSON: Uh…

GIRL: Alice – Alice Grady. We were in film class together last semester…

It clicks.

DAWSON: Alice! Right – you sat…in the back corner near the door.

She nods.

ALICE: Now he remembers.

DAWSON: So, how have you been?

ALICE: Well, I heard you’re making a new movie.

He lifts up his bag.

DAWSON: Yeah, I’ve been shopping for props all morning.

JOEY walks around the corner behind Dawson and stops when she sees them. Dawson can’t see her from where he’s standing.

ALICE: I also heard you were casting for the female lead. I was just wondering if maybe you’d consider me.

Dawson looks pleasantly surprised.

DAWSON: Sure! As a matter of fact, we’re having auditions today at the school.

He reaches into his bag and pulls out a flyer.

DAWSON: Here’s all the information you need. We’ll be there at 4:00.

She gets a big smile on her face and shrieks. She leans forward and gives Dawson a hug.

ALICE: Thank you SO much! I’ll see you then.

Alice continues walking down the street with the flyer in her hand. Dawson watches her for a moment and then turns to keep walking. He sees Joey.

DAWSON: Hey, Jo.

JOEY: Who’s the blonde floozy?

DAWSON: Floozy? You’re in rare form this morning. She’s an aspiring actress who’s interested in starring in my new film.

JOEY: Oh, yeah? So has she got the part?

DAWSON: Not yet. She has to go through the audition this afternoon. She’s got a good chance, though. She acted in Helmets of Glory, and despite a script that was severely lacking, she was really pretty good.

Joey scowls.

JOEY: Well, with a resume like that, how could she miss?

DAWSON: So…where’s Bessie?

JOEY: She’s at the Ice House. She insisted on being there for the breakfast crowd.

She looks up at a clock hanging in front of the bank.

JOEY: And we’re kinda late. We better hurry.

ANOTHER SIDEWALK IN DOWNTOWN CAPESIDE – DAY

Pacey and Andie are walking together down the sidewalk. Andie is carrying several bags in one hand.

PACEY: Tell me again why I agreed to meet you for this? I hate shopping.

ANDIE: Because it’s my cousin’s wedding and you’re not wearing that Saturday Night Fever wannabe suit you wore to the dance. No offense, Pacey, but it was pretty tacky. John Travolta you are not.

PACEY: But retro’s in!

She raises her eyebrows and shakes her head.

ANDIE: It’s not THAT in. Trust me, Pacey, these clothes will look much better.

Andie looks into the window of the drug store they are passing. Something catches her eye and she stops in her tracks.

ANDIE: A photo booth!

PACEY: A what?

ANDIE: A photo booth. Look in the drug store - in the corner there. Do you see it?

PACEY: Yeah. So?

ANDIE: I love those machines. We just HAVE to go in there and get our pictures taken, Pacey.

Andie walks into the store, dragging Pacey behind her.

INT. DRUG STORE – DAY

Andie and Pacey walk up to the booth and Andie digs coins out of her pocket. As she feeds money into the machine, Pacey checks his hair in the mirror.

PACEY: How’s the coif?

Andie just shakes her head.

ANDIE: The coif’s fine, Pacey. C’mon – Hurry.

The both get into the booth and the camera flashes four times. After several minutes, a strip of pictures slides out of the machine. Andie looks at the pictures and then slowly tears the strip in half.

ANDIE: Here – you take two and I’ll take two.

She hands one half to Pacey and then examines the pictures a little more cloesly.

ANDIE: On second thought, let’s switch. I like these pictures better.

Pacey grins at her and just shakes his head. He takes the two pictures from Andie and puts them in his pocket.

CUT TO:
EXT. DRUG STORE – DAY

Andie hands the bags in her hand to Pacey.

ANDIE: Here, you take these. I’ve got to go run some errands. Are you coming by tonight?

PACEY: Yeah. 6:00 sound good?

ANDIE: Okay, see you then.

Andie watches as Pacey walks down the sidewalk and around the corner. Once he’s out of sight, she goes back into the drug store and heads toward the back.

INT. HOSPITAL HALLWAY - DAY

Joey and Dawson are sitting in chairs against the wall of the hallway.

JOEY: What if that’s me in there some day? First my mom, then my sister. Maybe it’s just a matter of time…

Dawson cuts her off.

DAWSON: Joey, don’t talk like that.

JOEY: It was really strange. When Bessie told me the news, my first impulse was to find you. I needed to talk things out with one of the only people who would really understand me. But I screwed up, Dawson, and I almost lost the chance to be with someone who means so much.

DAWSON: But I thought the whole purpose behind you breaking up with me was to declare your independence.

JOEY: I figured something out while we were on sabbatical. I realized that relying on someone is not a bad thing. Being with someone who you can depend on is one of the most amazing parts about being in any type of relationship.

She looks down at the ground and smiles.

JOEY: And besides, I kind of missed you.

DAWSON: Sabbatical? That implies a temporary break – one that will end.

Joey takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly.

JOEY: Dawson, I am very sorry about what happened with Jack. It was never my intent to kiss him that night. But once I did, I realized that I needed some time to think things through. So much was changing around me – us, my interests, my ambitions. I - I needed that break. I had to experience things outside of the world of Dawson Leery.

Dawson looks down for a moment and then looks back up at Joey.

DAWSON: Yeah, well, while we’re pouring out our souls, I might was well take a turn. I was talking to Mitch earlier this week about his tumultuous relationship with Gale. I kept telling him to forgive her, that she made a mistake. If her really cared about her as deeply and as fully as he says, he would forgive her for what she did.

It was at that moment that I had an epiphany. I realized Mitch wasn’t the only one who was being self-centered and unforgiving. Granted, the details are different, but the results are very much the same. He ends up pushing away the person he cares most about.

Dawson and Joey stare at each other for a few seconds.

DAWSON: So where do we go from here?

Joey begins to speak but the door opens up and Bessie walks out. Joey jumps up out of her seat and runs up to Bessie.

JOEY: How are you? What did she say?

BESSIE: Honestly, I’m a little sore right now. The doctor looked at the tumor under a microscope but she said the results were ‘inconclusive.’ They’re sending it to a lab today.

JOEY: Well, when will you find out?

BESSIE: Not until Thursday. She said it’d take a couple of days to run the tests. She’s going to call me - God, I can’t believe they’re making me wait that long!

Bessie starts walking towards the exit.

BESSIE: C’mon, let’s get going. We need to drop Dawson off and then…

She trails off and pauses for a moment.

BESSIE: If we hurry, I can make it back to the Ice House by lunch. I don’t even want to think about having Jack handle that alone.

JOEY: Wait! Slow down. The Ice House can wait. I’ll take care of it.

BESSIE: And what would I do? Sit at home and worry for the next 48 hours while you and Jack run the restaurant? No way. At this point, I can use all of the distractions I can get.

Bessie walks out the door. Dawson and Joey look at each other. Dawson shrugs and they begin running to catch up with her.

INT. BESSIE’S PICKUP TRUCK - DAY

The pickup truck slows to a stop as Bessie turns to Joey.

BESSIE: You ready?

Joey straightens out her shirt and brushes her hair back behind her ear.

JOEY: Yeah, I think so.

Bessie and Joey step out of the truck. Joey grabs the flowers lying on the seat.

CUT TO:
EXT. GRAVEYARD – DAY

Bessie and Joey walk through the graveyard and stop in front of a tombstone. Bessie kneels down and pulls away the weeds that have grown up around the grave.

BESSIE: Hi, Mom.

Bessie finishes pulling up the weeds and stands.

JOEY: It’s hard to believe it’s been five years already. I still miss her, y' know?

Joey lays the flowers gently on top of the grave.

BESSIE: She’d be proud of you, Joey.

JOEY: You think?

BESSIE: Yeah, I do.

Joey looks down at the grave and smiles. They’re quiet for a few moments. Bessie looks over at an empty plot next to her mother.

BESSIE: Lately I’ve been wondering if that will be me over there.

JOEY: (harshly) Bessie!

BESSIE: I can’t help it. I’m scared, Joey. Really scared.

Joey slowly nods.

JOEY: So am I.

Bessie rubs her fingers over her mother’s name on the tombstone.

BESSIE: You know how people say life is short? Well, for the first time, I really understand what that means.

Bessie takes a deep breath.

BESSIE: I just wish I could take back all of the worthless arguments, all of the wasted time in my life. Don’t ever take things for granted, Joey, ‘cause you never know how much time you’ve got left. You always think you’re invincible until one day…

And then it’s too late.

Bessie continues talking, but Joey doesn’t hear her. She gets a far off look on her face and becomes lost in thoughts of her own.

INT. CAPESIDE COFFEE SHOP – DAY

JOEY is sitting at a small table in the corner drinking from a cup when Pacey walks in. He spots her, walks over to the table, and slides into the seat across from her.

PACEY: So are you progressing into the coffee connoisseur phase of your life? I didn’t think that was supposed to happen until you go off to college and start debating Nietzsche over cappuccinos.

JOEY: Hardly. This is hot chocolate and I needed a change of scenery. Besides, the coffee scene is WAY overrated, anyway...I mean, first Seinfeld had a coffee shop, then Friends got one. I don’t think I could handle another TV show that pays homage to colored water.

PACEY: (Shouting towards the counter) Can I get a coffee over here?

He turns back to Joey.

PACEY: So…did you ask me to meet you here for a discourse on hot beverages or is there something else on your mind?

JOEY: As interesting as that theme is bound to be, I must admit that I have ulterior motives.

She pauses.

JOEY:It’s Dawson.

PACEY: Ah, the epic drama between the profoundly clueless knight and his feisty maiden.

JOEY: Before you proceed with your allegorical diatribe, how about I just cut to the chase? I’m beginning to think that maybe I – um - screwed up.

PACEY: And you want him back?

JOEY: Yeah.

Pacey smiles.

PACEY: Okay, so the big question is, do you want to go back to "Dawson, the childhood friend" or "Dawson, the virile stud muffin?" Are we talking platonic or erotic here?

JOEY: I’ll take what’s behind curtain number two.

They’re quiet for a few moments.

PACEY: You know, I never did really find out what happened between you guys.

JOEY: It’s kind of hard to explain.

She stares down at her drink.

JOEY: Let me put it this way - have you ever focused on something or someone so much that you forget everything else around you?

Pacey shakes his head.

JOEY: Well, that’s what was happening to me. One day, I woke up and realized that I was living Dawson’s life instead of my own. That really scared me. So I decided that I needed to take control of my life – figure out where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do. I mean, if I ever lost Dawson, I’d have…nothing.

PACEY: And you had to do all this without him?

She nods.

JOEY: Yeah. It’s as though as long as he was in the picture, I’d still be living his life. Following his dreams.

PACEY: So what’s changed?

JOEY: Bessie.

Pacey gives her a puzzled looked.

JOEY: She may have breast cancer.

He closes his eyes and rubs his temples with his fingers. He opens his eyes and looks back at her with concern.

PACEY: I’m sorry, Joey. I didn’t know.

Joey shrugs.

JOEY: Well, we don’t know for sure. We’re waiting for the tests to come back.

PACEY: So what’s this got to do with you and Dawson?

JOEY: Let’s just say that Bessie helped me to appreciate what I have a little more.

She glances down at her cup and then looks back up at Pacey.

JOEY: So, will you help me?

Pacey smiles.

PACEY: You know, Joey, this is getting to become habit…

INT. CLASSROOM AT SCHOOL – DAY

Dawson and Alice are rehearsing a scene from the scripts in their hands. Pacey is sitting on top of a table in the corner.

ALICE: (Reading from script) Because you're taking the angst-ridden artist approach. You think all this melancholy will somehow channel itself into creative genius. But I'll tell you, Wade, if you're gonna go that route you could at least take a slightly less cliched approach.

She mispronounced "cliched." Dawson and Pacey exchange a glance. Dawson looks back at Alice.

DAWSON: Okay…well…we’ll – uh - let you know.

She smiles and leaves the room. Dawson throws his script on the desk in frustration.

DAWSON: I’m beginning to think that this is all one big waste of our time. We’ve talked to half a dozen girls, and none of them have fit the part. What is "cliched" anyway? [Mimicking the girl]

Pacey shrugs.

PACEY: Maybe you’re setting your standards too high. I mean, if you’re waiting for Sandra Bullock to walk through that door, you’re going to be vastly disappointed.

DAWSON: I’m to the point where literacy and a pulse are my only two requirements. Who’s next? Pacey looks at the clipboard lying on the table.

PACEY: Okay, one last candidate to go and you’d better like this one, Dawson, ‘cause you’re out of choices.

Pacey sticks his head out the door and speaks to the next girl in line.

PACEY: Miss, it’s your turn.

In walks the girl. It’s Joey. Dawson looks very surprised. He smiles.

PACEY: (to Dawson) I – uh – better go find Andie. (to Joey) Make sure you don’t mispronounce ‘cliched.’ He’s a real stickler for that one.

Pacey leaves.

DAWSON: So…why has Ms. Potter decided to grace me with her presence?

JOEY: Well, when I heard that an extremely talented, award-winning director was in town looking for an actress for his next feature film, naturally, I rushed right over.

DAWSON: What makes you think you have what it takes to get the part?

JOEY: Let’s just say that I bring a unique insight into the complex character interactions.

She grabs a script off of the table and flips through the pages.

JOEY: (Reading from the script) Y’know, for the longest time I thought that was what I wanted -- for the boy across the creek, my best friend, to see me as beautiful. It’s practcially been the purpose of my life. Now it’s finally happened and you know what -- it feels wrong. The truth is, I want you to see me like you always have, realizing that what we share transcends mere physical longings…

Joey trails off and pauses, looking at Dawson. Then she flips to the back of the script.

JOEY: I see you’ve finally finished it. What happens at the end?

DAWSON: It’s your classic tragedy. I decided to go with the despondent ending because it tends to mirror the real world better.

Joey looks down for a moment and then looks back up at Dawson.

JOEY: Well, if you ask me, the tragic drama genre is way overrated.

DAWSON: Maybe my outlook on life has evolved. Maybe recent circumstances have left me with a more jaded approach toward writing.

JOEY: You’re too young to hit that point in your Hollywood career, Dawson. A few jilted romances, some bouts in rehab, then you’ll be ready for some real cynicism. Besides, if anyone should feel jaded about life, it’s me. But I’m… optimistic.

Dawson is surprised.

DAWSON: Are you suggesting a rewrite?

Joey shrugs and they move a little closer together.

JOEY: Maybe not an entire rewrite. I mean - the premise is good, it’s just the conclusion that could use a bit of work.

DAWSON: What would you suggest?

JOEY: Something a little less William Shakespeare and a little more Dawson Leery.

DAWSON: I might be able to rework the ending without compromising my artistic integrity. Care to assist with the final scene?

She tosses the script on the desk and looks around, avoiding looking directly at Dawson.

JOEY: Oh, I don’t know. Guy gets girl, guy loses girl…

She looks up at him.

JOEY: Guy gets girl back.

DAWSON: Seems a bit trite. Do you think the audience would buy it?

JOEY: Buy it? I think they’d demand it.

They look at each other for a few moments. Confusion. Apprehension. Will it work this time? Joey makes her decision. She slowly moves in and kisses Dawson. He keeps his arms around her as she leans back slightly to look at him. He smiles and Joey raises her eyebrows quizzically.

JOEY: So?

He gets a confused look on his face.

DAWSON: What?

JOEY: The part - does this mean I get a callback?

Dawson starts laughing.

DAWSON: Things are definitely looking good.

INT. ANDIE’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Pacey is sitting on Andie’s bed. Andie is pacing back and forth, obviously agitated about something.

PACEY: What’s wrong, Andie? I want to help.

ANDIE: You can’t help me.

PACEY: Yes, I can.

ANDIE: (Yelling) NO, YOU CAN’T! I don’t WANT your help, Pacey. You’ve done enough already.

Pacey is really confused.

PACEY: What’s going on? Why are you doing this?

ANDIE: Just get out.

PACEY: But Andie…

ANDIE: I said GET OUT!

She picks up a book off of her desk and throws it. Pacey narrowly avoids getting hit. He looks at her in shock for a few moments, starts to say something, then stops. He slowly shakes his head, turns around, and walks out. A few seconds later, she hears the front door close.

CUT TO:
INT. ANDIE’S BATHROOM – NIGHT

Andie walks into the bathroom and reaches into the medicine cabinet with her hand shaking slightly. The remains of a home pregnancy kit are lying on the counter. Andie grabs a prescription bottle from the shelf and fills a glass with water. She closes the mirrored door of the cabinet and looks at her reflection for a few moments. Not liking what she sees, she turns off the light and walks away

CUT TO:
EXT. ANDIE’S HOUSE – NIGHT

Music begins playing in the background. Counting Crows – Have you seen me lately? (Acoustic version) Pacey begins walking away from the house. It’s cold, so he puts his hands in his pockets to keep warm. He notices something in his left pocket. He pulls out the strip of pictures he and Andie took earlier in the day. He looks at it for a few seconds, crumples it up, and tosses it on the ground. He glances back at the house and then continues down the driveway.

[Music]

Get away from me
I said get away from me,
this isn't gonna be easy
But I don't need you, believe me
Yeah, you got a piece of me
But it's just a little piece of me
I don't need anyone
And these days, I feel like I'm fading away…

FADE OUT