Login     Help

7.06 - Harvest Moon by Elyse, Jessica, Renae, Paul

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
TEASER

We see the skyline of New York, panning down to a long stretch of highway and get closer to a Jeep that is driving down the highway. Inside, Dawson’s driving and Joey is in the passenger seat. They laugh as two energetic, lively kids, Alex and Lily, jump and move around animatedly in the back seat.

"Oh my gosh, Alex, we’re almost there I can’t believe we’re going to New York," Lily squeals, jumping up and down on the seat behind Dawson.

"Lily, calm down. Be cool. You don’t want to stick out," Alex says, trying to sound cool, but excitement is evident in his voice.

"Don’t worry, Lily. Your brother sticks out so you won’t be alone," Joey laughs, feeling Dawson nudge her arm.

"Hey, don’t listen to her. I heard she looked like a tourist too when she moved here," Dawson says, sharing a look with Joey, who sticks her tongue out, making him laugh. The excitement of the kids is catching. They’re behaving like ones and they don’t care. It’s too much fun, and they haven’t done that in ages. Growing up can be so boring sometimes.

"Joey, what are you going to be for Halloween?" Lily asks, moving out of her seat to wedge herself between Dawson and Joey.

"I’ll have to see what’s available, Lily," Joey says.

"We have to be careful though when we go into the costume shop because Joey scares easily and we don’t want her to chicken out of going to the party with us," Dawson says, watching Lily and Alex start to giggle and ignoring Joey’s dirty look.

"Aunt Joey, are you a scaredy cat?" Alex asks, a bit surprised.

"No, I’m not. Dawson is just over-exaggerating, aren’t you Dawson?" Joey says firmly, looking for him to back her up.

"I’m actually not, Joey. You jump at your own shadow," Dawson laughs, getting a playful slap from Joey, causing him to flinch a bit while driving. "Careful."

"Well, I’m not afraid of anything and I’m going to have a really pretty costume and Alex and I are going to get so much candy and have so much fun at your party Dawson," Lily says matter-of-factly, causing Joey and Dawson to laugh.

"No, I’m going to have the best costume at the party and I’ll get way more candy than you and I’ll have the best stuff to trade when we’re finished," Alex protested, trying to one-up her. "And you’re only going to have fun at that party because I’m there and you won’t be the only kid." They stick their tongues out at one another but can’t stay mad and burst out laughing.

"Okay guys, that’s enough. We’re almost there and I’m going to have the most fun at the party. So there," Dawson teases, noticing Joey, Alex and Lily are looking at him and trying not to laugh.

"Real mature, Dawson," Joey snorted, rolling her eyes.

"I’m rubber you’re glue, what bounces off of me sticks to you," Dawson chants, blocking Joey’s slap, but Alex and Lily start to play fight with Dawson and Joey from the back seat. "Hey, careful with the driver here! Don’t make me pull this car over!" he says, feeling excited and impatient for evening to arrive so the fun of Halloween could begin.


Capeside, exterior of Jack’s house (Mid-day)

"Bye bye," Jack exaggerates his wave as he and Doug stand with Amy and Grams on their porch.

"Daddy loves you, sweetie," Jack continues to coo.

Doug clears his throat a little to get Jack's full attention. "We should probably get going if we don't want to be late."

"I know," Jack sighs as he plays with Amy's foot. "This is a lot harder than I thought it would be."

"We'll be fine," Grams can't help but smile at Jack's nervousness. "Amy is going to help me hand out candy to the big kids, aren't you dear?"

Grams’ question is answered with a small laugh from Amy.

"I know that you two will be fine," Doug says as he touches Amy's cheek. "But if anything does happen you can call the station or even Gale or Bessie. I programmed all of their numbers into the automatic dial on the phone. And I did the same with Dawson and Joey's numbers. Both their home phone and cell numbers should be there."

"And I set out a few of her favourite toys," Jack adds. "Oh, and I bought some of those animal crackers that she likes. I put them on the second shelf in the cupboard. And I set out her pyjamas for tonight and some clothes for her to wear tomorrow. They are on top of her dresser."

"All right," Doug puts his hand on Jack's shoulder "now it’s a little overboard."

"I know," Jack sighs. "But I've never left her overnight before. Maybe we shouldn't go. Maybe it's foolish to leave Amy alone overnight so we can go to a party in another city."

"I will be here," Grams says, smiling at him reassuringly as she reminds him. "You two go and have fun. You deserve it."

"She's right," Doug says. "Amy will be fine. You couldn't have found a better baby sitter if you tried."

"You’re right," Jack agrees. "But it's still hard to leave my baby girl, isn't it?" He directs the last part of his sentence at Amy who gives him a blank stare. Apparently, she has no problems with the thought of Jack leaving town.

"Bab Bab," she chimes.

"It's Amy's word for bye," Grams explains to Doug through her laughter.

Doug can't help but laugh along with Grams at Amy's nonchalant attitude.

"Do you think she'll miss me?" Jack sounds concerned.

"Of course she will," Grams says in her best attempt to comfort Jack. "But it will be easier for her because she knows me so well. I'll keep her occupied, I promise."

"She'll be fine," Doug says as he takes a step away from Grams and Amy in an attempt at forward progress towards the car.

"She'll be fine," Grams urges.

"She'll be fine," Jack echoes to himself in reassurance. "Bye bye, sweetie," Jack says once again, planting a kiss on the top of her head. "Daddy loves you."

He and Doug begin walking down the porch steps and Doug throws their bags in back seat of the car. Jack sits in driver's seat and Doug hops into the passenger side, putting a Bette Midler CD in the CD player.

"No way," Jack says as he turns the CD player off. "I'm already way too high strung about leaving Amy. I can't take any of your music right now."

"There is nothing like the Divine Miss M to soothe a worried soul," Doug counters and reached to turn the music back on.

"You turn that back on and I can't be held responsible for my actions," Jack jokes.

"Are you seriously threatening an officer of the law?" Doug tries to keep a straight face but a smile betrays him.

"She'll be fine," Jack sighs. "Won't she?"

Doug sighs and rolls his eyes as he turns the engine on.


Dawson’s loft in N.Y.

"And there's gonna be candy too, right Joey?" Lily asks as Dawson, Joey, Lily
and Alex all make their entrance into Dawson's loft. Dawson closes the door behind them once they all are in.

"What?" Joey winks at Dawson over her shoulder "Your mom didn't say anything?"

"Say what?" Alex asks suspiciously.

"I though that Bessie would have said something," Dawson leaves the bags in the floor, near the sofa and he faces Lily, Alex, and Joey, looking at the two kids with a concerned look in his face. "I don't know how to break it to you guys…" and he looks at Joey as if looking for help. The kid’s gazes go from back and forth from his face to Joey’s.

"Well, it’s just that New York is different than Capeside in a lot of ways," Joey continues for him, looking as worried as him.

"Different how?" Lily demands.

"Sorry Sis, but they don't give out candy on Halloween and especially not at Halloween parties."

"You're teasing us," Alex says. "Don't listen to them, Lily. They're just trying to trick us."

"Yeah," Lily seems to be convincing herself. "Dawson and Joey are just trying to trick us."

"Suit yourself," Dawson sighs. "Joey and I were trying to prepare you for what to expect. Just be sure to say thank you when people give you apples," he says, walking to the kitchen and pouring himself some water.

"Apples?" Suddenly Alex isn't as convinced as he was before.

"Apples," Joey agrees with Dawson. "And dental floss and pennies."

"What are we supposed to do with pennies?" an almost panic stricken Lily asks.

"Save 'em or spend 'em. They still have penny candy, right?" Dawson offers his advice from the kitchen.

"Get real," Alex snorts.

Joey can't help but laugh. "I don't even think they had penny candy when we were kids."

"For real Dawson," Lily pleads. "Are you kidding or not?" Lily asks, walking to join him in the kitchen, Joey and Alex following her.

"Well, sometimes someone will occasionally give out Smarties or those orange and black wrapped peanut butter candies. If you’re lucky."

Lily screws up her face. "Ick."

"Those aren't even like real candy," Alex can't help but groan. He's become convinced that Dawson and Joey are telling the truth.

"When did you become so picky?" Joey asks. "Candy is candy."

"Hardly. Those orange and black things are yucky. It's what you eat after all of your other Halloween candy is gone, even the Smarties."

"Oh," Joey can't help but smile.

"Get with the program Jo," Dawson laughs as he leans on the bar tool. "You remember how gross those peanut butter things are, don't you?"

"Yeah," Joey smiles at the memory. "Although Halloween was far from my favorite holiday."

"You are a world-renowned scaredy-cat,' Dawson repeats what he said in the car with a smile, pointing at her with his index finger and narrowing his eyes playfully.

"You constantly playing your pranks on me didn't help," Joey says, pretending to be offended as Lily and Alex watch the exchange slightly bored. All they wanna know is if they will get some candy.

"Sure, blame it on me," Dawson says. "You wouldn't even trick or treat at Gram’s house. You almost cried that one time that Bessie took us. As a matter of fact, I think you even waited on my porch while Pacey and I trick or treated at Grams. She gave out the peanut butter candies if I remember correctly."

"You were afraid of Grams," Alex laughs.

"Why?" Lily giggles as she is searching for something inside her travel bag. "Grams is nice."

"Okay," Dawson says, walking out from behind the kitchen’s counter clapping his hands. "Time to take everything to your rooms. Follow me," he says, and they do. Dawson smiles at Joey over his shoulder and she smiles him back as the kids run to the space that he has been designated for them upstairs.

"Candy!" is what Dawson and Joey hear from Alex when he finally reaches his destiny.

"You tricked us," Lily pouts a little before she pass them running in the direction of Alex’s voice. Dawson and Joey laugh as they walk upstairs calmly. When they arrive, both kids are already inspecting the bags of candy.

"It's the good kind," Alex says with an approving nod of his head.

"Can we?" Lily opens the bag without waiting for a response.

"Sure, kiddos," Dawson says, smiling and leaning in the wall, his arms crossed over his chest as he watches them.

"Not too much," Joey makes a meek attempt at discipline though. "Dawson, they're going to be wound up all night if they eat too much candy."

"Well it doesn't really matter," Dawson shrugs. "Since you'll be spending the night here too, we can double team them."

"Nice one, but still, I’d prefer if we didn’t have to. I don't want them to get sick."

"They won’t…I hope. I mean, how much candy were you and I able to eat when kids and never get sick? And tell me, are you going to be one of those mothers who never lets her kids have candy and makes them eat soy burgers instead of going to McDonalds?" he asks her, mocking her.

"No," Joey crosses her arms over chest, mirroring his posture and slightly wrinkles her brow.

"You are, aren't you?" Dawson teases.

"Am not," Joey uncrosses her arms. "Be careful!" she warns Alex as he chases Lily back to the space downstairs, they both, of course, carrying their candy.

Dawson's smug look says it all.

"Okay, you’re right. They shouldn't be anything that we can't handle together," Joey sighs.

The unexpected sound of glass breaking proves her otherwise.

"Sorry," Lily calls from a distance. "I just saw a picture that had Pacey in it and he had a funny beard. I just wanted to see it better."

"Just don't touch anything else," Joey calls out as Dawson walks pass her. "I think I better get the broom and dustpan."


A costume shop in New York.

In a small, rather cramped costume shop in the middle of New York City, Dawson stands in the middle of the store waiting for the costumes that he has ordered. He’s a bit panicky that it is taking the sales lady so long to locate all of them.

"Dawson, this place is kind of weird," Joey says standing next to Dawson, looking around, her eyes wide. "And it smells kind of funny, too."

Dawson softly laughs at the expression on Joey’s face. "This is the best costume shop in New York, Joey. I was given the address by one of the costume designers. And you know me and Halloween: the weirder the better," he nudges her a tad.

"Hey, look at me, Lily," Dawson and Joey turn around just in time to see Alex put a mask over his face. It looks kind of like a sea creature. Joey and Dawson look at each knowingly and smile.

"Alex, that’s gross. I like this one better," Lily places a tiara on her head and holds a sceptre in her hand.

"Lily, you might want to talk to Joey about that costume. I hear she was in a beauty pageant one time," Dawson moves away from Joey just in time as she tries to pinch him on the arm.

Joey just smiles coyly as she looks down and then back up again. Someone in the corner of the shop catches her attention. "That’s Ethan," Joey quickly walks towards him going sideways to make her way through all of the costumes.

In no time at all, Joey has dragged Ethan back over to where Dawson is standing, "Dawson, where’s Samantha?" She looks around the costume shop quickly, finally locating Samantha, who walked away a few minutes ago when trying to find the right costume.

"Stay right here," she motions to Ethan who gives her a rather confused look as she trails after Samantha. Ethan looks at Dawson, who just nods his head at him, both utterly confused. They both turn to watch the women at the same time, a blank expression on their faces.

Joey is quietly whispering to Samantha as they walk back towards Ethan and Dawson. "Samantha, this is Ethan." They nod to each other. Samantha looks at Dawson with a puzzled look and Ethan looks at Joey, rolling his eyes while shaking his head.

"Umm Joey, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Dawson, I’m -" He pulls her over towards the door.

"What are you doing?" He lets go off Joey’s arm.

"I just thought that maybe they should to meet," Joey smiles at Dawson and seems rather proud of herself. "Now, I’m going to go back and make sure those two are talking to each other. Step aside," she laughs as she just slides past him. He looks as though he wants to say something else but just stands there for a minute just shaking his head at her. He joins the three of them.

"I’m sorry. So where were we?" Joey looks at Ethan, then at Samantha. There is nothing but silence.

"Well, since you both have to get ready for tonight, why don’t you over of and enjoy it together? I have an idea…" Joey looks at Dawson as if she has had the greatest idea ever. Samantha blinks slowly while watching Joey, still trying to decide if she is really trying to play matchmaker. Ethan just looks at Joey with a blank expression on his face.

"Joey, what’s gotten in to you?" Dawson says, thinking he would prefer the earth to open and eat him rather than watch this awkward moment. "I’m sorry about this, Sam. I have no clue what’s gotten into her today," Dawson gives Joey a look that says ‘one more word out of you and you’ll pay’ but then he can’t help but smile at Joey’s innocent expression. As if.

"Excuse me, sir?" The sales lady calls out from the back of the store.

"Which one of us do you need?" Dawson says rather loudly.

"The other gentleman," the lady says and Ethan begins to walk to the back of the store, relieved, but the sales lady meets him half way.

Joey finds the exchange between the Ethan and the sales lady rather interesting. She watches Ethan turn on the charm and catches Samantha watching as well, "Oh please," she mumbles under her breath, turning back and going to check more costumes.

Ethan returns with his costume in a box. "Dawson, she needs you to go back and get the rest of the costumes," he says. "Thanks, and… well, nice to see you again" Dawson says as he walks away. Ethan watches the sales lady go in to the back room and Dawson joins her just as some of the boxes almost hit the floor. Then he turns to Joey. "Nice try," he says, winking at her and waving goodbye as he exits the place. Joey just looks a little disappointed that her master plan hadn’t worked. Then she smiles. There will be more chances.

"Joey, Lily, Alex come get your costumes," Dawson yells causing the youngsters to stop playing and Joey to walk quickly to help him.

Soon, all of them, including Samantha, have their costumes and are ready to leave.

As they do, Dawson holds the door open as Lily, Alex, and Joey walk out of the shop leaving Samantha to be the last one out along with him. He speaks rather softly, "I’m sorry about that. I don’t know why she did that."

Still speaking softly, "Come on, Dawson. Can’t you figure it out?" and with that she walks a bit quicker, catching up with everyone else. Dawson just looks pensive.


At that very same moment, a hotel In N.Y.

Two suitcases lay on the floor, the bed strewn with clothes and the TV on a local sports game. Jack and Doug stand shoulder to shoulder, trying on their costumes as Men in Black with full designer three-piece suits.

"Okay, I can’t get this thing," Jack complains playfully, tearing his tie off his neck and throwing in on the dresser in front of them.

"Come on, Jack, just take a deep breath and try it again," Doug laughs, finding his partner’s frustration a bit comical.

"Please, you wear a tie with your uniform on occasion so you have more practice than me," Jack pouts, taking a minute to watch Doug get ready. "I’m a teacher. Ties are not a required part of the curriculum."

"Well then, let me help you, dear," Doug laughs, grabbing the tie and moving behind Jack to help him with the tie. "You look so good in that suit though. I think I should talk with Principal Peskin about implementing a faculty dress code."

"Oh really? Well, with you helping me every morning, I could definitely be persuaded to wear a tie to work more often," Jack says, raising his eyebrow, making Doug chuckle and share a tender moment.

"It’s nice to get a change of scenery every now and then," Doug says, wrapping his arms around Jack, whose tie is now tied.

"Yeah, part of me is really glad to get out of Capeside for a bit but part of me really wishes we could be with Amy or at least have brought her here to see everyone," Jack sighs, resting his body back against Doug.

"I know, me too. But let’s just enjoy this time, just you and me, it’s been a long time since it’s been like that," Doug says, resting his chin on Jack’s shoulder.

"Tonight will be fun though. It’ll be a nice change to also be around a completely adult audience or at least have the majority of the guest be above the age of 5," Jack laughs as Doug nods in agreement.

"Yeah, it’ll be nice to not to worry about someone spitting up on my suit," Doug laughs, hearing Jack chuckle.

"Well, we might have to watch Joey if there’s alcohol there tonight. She could spit up if Dawson let’s her drink too much," Jack laughs, remembering back on drunken Joey stories Dawson and Pacey had told him about.

"Oh man, well I’m off duty tonight so if things get out of hand…at least at the party…I am not going to get involved," Doug laughs, raising his eyebrow at Jack who does the same back.

"Oh really? And what if things get out of hand later on?" he asks coyly, watching Doug squirm a bit.

"Well, then I may have to use some of my law enforcement tactics to take care of the situation," Doug says, throwing Jack a look.

"I see, well Office Witter I promise to cooperate fully if necessary," Jack says, moving closer to Doug and wrapping his arms around him.

"Well, sometimes putting up a fight isn’t so bad either," Doug says playfully, wrapping his arms around Jack as well, leaning in for a kiss.

"Remember, tonight is about us having fun," Doug says, pulling back just before they were about to kiss.

"Right, fun. Forget about everything else for now," Jack says softly and Doug nods, finally leaning in again for a kiss.


Later, at Ethan’s house

Ethan is getting ready for the Halloween party. Joey has invited him and she wouldn’t stop fussing about it for the whole week, saying that this friend of hers used to make the best Halloween parties ever when they were kids. And Ethan finally found out his name: Dawson. Before today, he had already met him before: he stopped by the office once to take her out for dinner. "As friends," Joey told him when he was teasing her about it. He seems like a nice guy, Dawson: polite, quiet, easy smile (mostly around Joey). Joey gushed about him being a famous TV producer and soon a famous director and he kind of blushed in a way Ethan was sure had earned him more than one sympathetic look from a woman.

Ethan checks the clocks once again and his mind goes back to Joey’s invitation. Surprised at first, especially since all the times he had tried to hang with her outside work, she had politely rejected him. It has been a little more than two months since he arrived in the city and he really misses having some friends. In Philly, he was the life of the party, quite wild at times. Probably because he needed to let out some steam, due to... due to some events in his life. But then he made the decision to move to New York and since then it had been only work, work, work… and some haunting memories.

He walks from the living room that is neatly clean and organized, to his bedroom that is as neat as the living room. Lying on the bed is his costume and he looks at it, amused. When was the last time he wore one? Okay, wrong question. He remembers way too well when it was. Solemnly, he sits in the bed and opens the first drawer of his night stand, the memory swirling in his mind. He takes out an envelope full of pictures and goes through them with a pained expression on his face.

God, they were so young. And they didn’t make it. Although, what unnerved him the most was that his father was proven right. His father. He thinks about him as stares at the pictures, not seeing them anymore. Tall, dark, just like him. Well built and disciplined after spending his whole life in the army. The army, that was also his thing until life stepped in and he had to make a decision. A decision that cost him his father’s love and pride. And he hadn’t gotten it back yet, not even after what happened last year. Quite the opposite. Somehow he knows that his father blames him for it all.

His gaze goes back to the pictures in his hand. For a moment, he stares at the first one and smiles, lost in his memories... then he collects himself as he always does and puts the pictures back.

He starts to undress to get his super hero costume. Isn’t that what the greatest part of people is anyway? We stumble, fall and then get up and start all over again.

When he finishes, he looks at the reflection in the mirror and can’t help but laugh. Joey promised him that this would be fun and if everybody is going to be dressed up like she said, (her words were more a command: "Everyone must wear a costume!" saying that these were Dawson’s instructions), he’s sure it will be.

She also said that he might even meet someone interesting. He’s not sure of what she meant exactly by that but it wouldn’t be bad if she were right.

With one last look in the mirror, he exits the bedroom.


Interior of Dawson’s loft

"I didn't know that I had to wear tights," Alex whines as he and Lily are helped into their costumes by Dawson and Joey.

"But you have to Alex or I can't be Tinkerbell," Lily pleads with him.

"Maybe I could be something else. Tights are for girls. I could be a hippie like Dawson and Joey," he says looking at them. They are dressed in true hippie fashion. Joey even wears some daisies in her head and dress.

"Without Peter Pan there's no Tinkerbell. And I wanna be Tinkerbell. I have to be Tinkerbell."

"Tights aren't girlie," Joey tries to help the situation and stick to the game plan. They are already running late. They were supposed to leave five minutes ago for the house to prepare for the party.

"Wrestlers wear tights and they aren't girlie," Dawson offers.

"I guess," Alex seems persuaded for the moment. "And I can fly."

"Me too," Lily says proudly. "And I have wings!"

"You both look great," Joey can't help but smile at the scene. "Why don't you two stand against the wall so Dawson can get some pictures."

"That’s a great idea," Dawson says as he takes his camera out one of the drawers.

Alex and Lily both proudly strike a few poses as Dawson happily clicks away on his camera.

"Aren't they cute?" Joey says as Alex and Lily do their best imitations of a flying Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.

"Reminds me of the time that you, me and Pacey went as the Three Musketeers," he says, still taking pictures as Alex and Lily get more and more into their roles. Alex has totally forgotten his earlier complaints.

"That's right. It took my mom almost two months to make those costumes." Joey says, a smile in her face. She had even painted a mustache on her face to match with the two boys.

"And then you broke your sword fighting with Pacey," Dawson laughs at the memory. "You were almost in tears."

"But then you gave me your sword," Joey let herself get lost in the memory for a moment, looking at Dawson sweetly, remembering the moment. He had just walked over to her, put his arm around her and gave her his own sword without a word. That was Dawson. Always had been, always would be.

"God, we must be old. Waxing nostalgic about our youth," Dawson jokes as he continues to take pictures of Alex and Lily.

"That was fourth grade, right?" Joey asks, not sure about the exact date.

"Nope," Dawson says with a shake of his head. "Third."

"Oh, that's right," Joey smiles once more as the moment comes back in full. "Fourth grade was the year you went as Elliot from E.T. and no one knew what your costume was."

"Yeah because it was just a red hooded sweatshirt, most people thought that I hadn't even bothered to dress up."

"At least our costumes are pretty obvious this year," she says, looking down at her own dress and then at Dawson’s.

"Not very creative, I know," Dawson concedes. "I've just had so much to do with the actual planning of the party, work, and just moving to the city. Something had to give."

"And that something was our Halloween costumes," she says, shooting him what is supposed to be a mocking glare, although she actually likes their costumes. (Okay, she loves it… so cute with all the daisies!) But she wouldn’t miss a chance to bug him about it, at least for a while.

"It was either flake on the costumes or flake on paying the rent this month. I didn’t have time for it all. And I kind of like my new place."

"Just kind of?" she says, raising her eyebrows

"Fine, I absolutely adore my new apartment. Better?" he concedes.

"Much better." Joey replies with a big grin. "And you know these costumes aren't that lame. I'm kind of getting into it. Makes me want to drop out and tune in and all that other "Make love, not war" stuff," she says, making the peace sign with her fingers.

"Yeah, the last part sounds good to me," Dawson says, finally putting his camera down and wiggling his eyebrows at her, making her laugh. "And I can almost smell the patchouli."

The Halloween house

It’s still early in the evening, but everything is ready. An old and large house is decorated for Halloween: pumpkins, skeletons… the house itself looks a little gloomy too. Just like a house should look like on Halloween.

"Anyone here?" the guest dressed as Catwoman calls out as she tries the front door of the house. She realizes that’s locked. She sighs.

"Hello?" another guest dressed as Batman comes up from the side of the house. Samantha looks at him.

"Batman?" she asks with an amused smirk, the only part of her face that is visible.

"Catwoman?" the man dressed as Batman appears to be equally amused and equally concealed. "I just checked around back and no one's here yet. I think we're the first to arrive."

"Well, well, well," she smiles once more. "I'm not sure if I should trust my nemesis."

"Was Catwoman a hero or a villain? I don't remember."

"She was a little bit of both. It's part of her appeal. In a lot of ways, she was just like Batman."

"Well then," Batman flashes her a smile. "I'm not sure if I should trust my nemesis."

"We've got Catwoman and Batman. Please tell me that you didn’t bring a friend masquerading as the penguin."

"No, I'm alone tonight. And you?"

"I didn't come with a friend dressed as the Penguin or anyone else for that matter," she says and shrugs her shoulders.

"Both Batman and Catwoman going stag to a party. Something isn't right about that picture."

They’re laughing when they hear voices coming around the side of the house.

"Hello?"

"Hmmm," Catwoman contemplates the scene in front of her as two men approach them. "The cat, the bat and…."

"Men In Black. Doug Witter," he extends his hand. "Pleased to meet you."

"Jack McPhee," Jack introduces himself.

Batman extends his hand as well. "Bruce Wayne," he says with a laugh, not wanting to give up in this mysterious game he and Catwoman have going on

"Selina Kyle," Catwoman matches his grin and also shakes hands with everyone.

"Where is everyone else?" Doug eyes the empty house. "This looks like a suspicious situation."

"Well, that’s because it’s Halloween. Everything looks suspicious," Jack says jokingly. "And aren't you off duty anyway?" Jack reminds him.

"No talk of work," they hear a voice float out to the entrance. "I demand that we all leave the shop talk outside," Dawson says as he joins the group with Joey, Alex, and Lily not far behind.

"What took you guys so long?" Jack asks.

"Pictures," Joey says with a smile. "Lots of pictures."

"Well," Dawson takes out a key and opens the front door for the group. "Let the party begin." He pretends not to notice the curious look that Joey throws his way as she enters the house. He has something up his sleeve. She *knows* it. Just a reunion of friends? Yeah, right...

After a while, in the middle of the reunion…

It’s been a while since they all arrived at the house. After watching a horror movie on the big screen, they all were eating the food Dawson had prepared.

Lily starts to wonder when all the action will start. There was just a little scare in the middle of the movie when they heard some strange noise coming from the back of the house but her brother went to check and came back saying that it was nothing after all.

Leaving the reunion of the adults without them noticing, she walks upstairs. The hallway is dark, and the shadows almost seem to move across the walls.

She walks tentatively forward, her eyes searching for her friend. Suddenly, without warning, she feels a hand clasp down on her shoulder.

"Eeeeee!!!" she shrieks.

Quickly, the unseen person spins her around. It’s Alex.

"Hey, relax!" he reassures her. "It’s just me. Geez, why are you so jumpy?"

"It’s dark in here," she replies. "And creepy. Please don’t sneak up on me like that."

Alex laughs.

"Oh, stop being such a baby!" he jokes. "Hey, did you hear? Aunt Joey thinks she saw a ghost." Lily gives him a look.

"When was that?"

"Like ten minutes ago, when she went to the kitchen for some water. That’s why I’m inspecting the place."

"So you think she did?" she asks, starting to get into the Halloween mood. "I mean, I don’t think she’s a liar, right?"

"There’s a difference between being a liar and being superstitious," Alex tells her. "There’s no such thing as ghosts. They’re just lightshows in movies. Halloween makes us see things that aren’t really there."

"But what if you’re wrong?" Lily sighs. "What if there really are ghosts? And there’s one in this house?"

Alex is about to reply, only to hear a loud crash. Quickly, the two children run towards the sound. Specifically, the bathroom.

The door had been left open, steam escaping from inside.

"Somebody was in the shower…better call Bill Murray!" Alex jokes.

Lily opens the door cautiously, turning the light on and then she gasps at the sight in front of her.

"What is it?" Alex asks, peeking over her shoulder.

She swings the door the rest of the way open. On the mirror, illuminated by the light from across the street, the words ‘You’re All Going To Pay’ are written in large letters.

The two of them scream simultaneously, running downstairs as fast as they can just before the lights go down.


Outside the Halloween house, later

"How did you do that?" Joey asks Dawson, as their flashlights arcs back and forth across the lawn. "Calm them down the way you did. I thought Lily was going to start crying for a minute there."

Dawson shrugs his shoulders, proud of his little sister but he can’t tell Joey that.

"A guy down in studio four runs a kiddie show," Dawson informs her. "I asked him for a few pointers. I thought that since I live so far away, I might as well do as good of a job being a big brother with the time I do spend with her."

"Ah," she states, as they come to the side of the house. There, the fuse box stands out against the wall. "Well?"

"Hmmm," Dawson mumbles. "I don’t get it…maybe lighting struck it or something?"

"You mean you didn’t do it?" Joey asked, giving him a look. "Come on…Halloween? Your obsession with scaring your friends? Wasn’t the lights usually the first thing to go?" Dawson chuckles.

"Please!" he scoffs. "I was a kid when I did that, Jo! I stopped doing that in tenth grade. Right after a few of my friends thought it’d be amusing to scare me with a blood-laden corpse who’s too cleaver for her own good."

"You swear?" she asks, not quite believing him. "Because things have been really weird today!"

"Weird?" Dawson asks. "What do you mean?"

"Well," she sighs, "When I went back to my apartment earlier to pick some of the things I had forgotten, I could swear someone was following me. Then on the street this trash can just crashed out in front of me…"

Dawson looks at her very intensely, as if pondering her words, deep in thought.

"Very interesting," he states. "And have you experienced any rampant paranoia before today?" Joey gives him a cold look. He simply laughs.

"It’s not funny, Dawson!" she tells him. "Is this you up to your old tricks again?"

"Old tricks?" he inquires.

"Don’t play dumb, Dawson," she sighs. "You remember? Séances? Dead baby dolls? Rubber fingers in my food?"

"Hey, that was Friday the 13th, Jo!" he reminds her. "Not Halloween. Easily confused because of a slasher flick by the same name that has been played way too often on Halloween movie night!"

Joey steps up to him, pointing an accusatory finger in his direction, her glare menacing.

"Hey, don’t blame me for that!" she says. "I hated those movies, remember?"

"Only too well," he replies with a nod.

Joey looks him in the eye, making sure she has his complete attention.

"You swear you’re not doing this?" she asks him one final time.

"I’m not," he says honestly. "Joey, I promise I haven’t been following you around trying to scare you. You have my word."

She smiles at him.

"Now just relax, okay?" he encourages her. "Have some fun. That’s what this whole party’s about, right?"

Dawson flicks a few more switches, causing the lights inside the house to turn on.

"Ah ha!" he says, turning proudly to face her. "Nothing to it!" Joey rolls her eyes, then smiles at him.

"You do have a point, though," Dawson mentions after a moment. "This whole night has déjà vu written all over it. Like a guy I hardly know showing interest in my ex. All that’s missing is a séance."

"Or a serial killer need directions," Joey adds.

"Or Pacey with his knife-wielding date!" Dawson laughs.

"Not a party without that!" Joey laughs along, remembering the freaky woman.

"I called him and asked him if he could make it to the reunion. He told me he couldn’t," Dawson mentions. "It doesn’t really feel the same. No Jen, no Pacey."

"I know. It’s weird. But that’s what happens, I guess. We are bound to lose some people along the way," she says, her tone serious.

"It doesn’t need to be like that, though. I mean, look at us. Here we are again."

"Yeah, that’s true" she says, looking at him and smiling.

Suddenly, the moment is broken by a loud scream coming from inside. Dawson and Joey stare at each other in surprise.

"That was Lily!" Joey tells him.

Quickly, they run back inside.


Basement of the Halloween house.

While Dawson and Joey look for Alex and Lily, Ethan and Samantha are in the process of searching the basement. Both of them are still dressed in their costumes, so they still have no idea who the other one is. Not even a suspicion, even though they had met earlier that day. They both have deleted that embarrassing moment from their memories.

"So tell me, ‘Bats’," Samantha jokes. "What are we looking for again?"

"Flashlights," he replies. "Or candles. Something that’ll help us see."

She gives him a smirk.

"I thought bats could see in the dark?" she asks.

"So can cats," he replies. "Unfortunately, it’s in name only. Look at this stuff. These people are such packrats!"

The two of them begin sifting through boxes. They search endlessly, sneaking looks at each other when the other one isn’t looking. Finally, Samantha catches him.

"What?" she asks. "What is it?"

"Nothing," he replies, shaking his head. "You just look like something’s on your mind."

She sighs.

"Who are you?" she asks. "All night you’ve been trying to protect me and I don’t even know your name. I don’t need you to protect me, by the way," she says, with a matter of fact tone.

"Aw, the big woman," he jokes. "Sorry, I can’t say," he replies. "Can’t give away my secret identity."

Samantha rolls her eyes.

"Besides, I don’t know your name either, do I?" he reminds her. "I’m a friend of Joey’s. Let’s leave it at that."

"You’re not the waiter guy, are you?" she asked.

Ethan laughs.

"No, I’m not Pacey!" he chuckles. She smiles at him. It is a long, knowing look. "What?" he asks. "Do I have something in my teeth?"

Samantha shakes her head.

"No, it’s just that whoever you are, you look really good in that costume," she says, in a low, seductive voice.

Ethan smiles at her. Suddenly, they’re surprised to find they’re holding hands. How did that happen? They don’t know, but it feels… exciting. Their faces move closer together as they close their eyes. However, before anything can happen, they heard a voice holler from upstairs.

"Power’s back on!" Dawson yells. "Everyone in the kitchen! We’ve got a problem!"

Samantha sighs, then heads towards the stairs. Ethan quickly follows her. What just happened?