Login     Help

7.05 - Taking Chances by Anne, Karen, Paula

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teaser: Joey's Office, mid-morning

People pass by chatting and showing each other papers in front of a open door. Inside the room behind the door, Joey sits behind her desk.

Joey picked up the phone but quickly replaced it in its cradle, mumbling something before she picked the phone back up again and dialed a number. A male voice answers the call after the fourth ring with a simple "Hello!"

("Another day" by Lene Marlin starts playing in the background)

Lie to me say that you need me
That's what I wanna hear
That is what makes me happy
Hoping you'll be near

All this time how could I know Within these walls I can feel you

"Hey, you!" She replies, throwing herself down in her chair. "What happened to answering your cell with 'Hello, Dawson Leery'?" She asks him, trying to mimic his voice.

"Well, there are too many people calling wrong numbers these days and it's not exactly a common name." He informed her as he stopped to check traffic on the busy streets of New York, not seeing the looks of recognition on the faces of some people that walk by. "Answering like that is a sure-fire way of having my cell number circulating on the internet."

Another day goes by
Will never know just wonder why
You made me feel good
Made me smile
I see it now and I
Can say it's gone that would be a lie
Cannot control this
This thing called love

"Geez, Dawson, I was expecting a 'Cause I don't'." At that moment his reply was muffled by the sound of heavy traffic on his end of the phone.

"Where are you?" She asked, twirling the phone cord around her finger.

"I'm at East 51st and 5th Avenue. Just scouting out a few places for the big project."

"So does this mean you will be out and about most of the day?" She asked, hopefully.

"Yep."

"Good. You can buy me lunch!"

A hint of recognition crosses his face. Usually when she put it like that it meant something was wrong and she needed someone to talk to.

"Jo?"

"Hmmm?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah." She replies but her tone doesn't sell that she's fine.

"Is the office door open?"

You must think how can this be
You don't really know me
I can't tell this ain't the time
You'll never be mine

"Yeah."

"And why don't you close it?" Straining, he hears the slam of the door on her side of the phone. "How are you holding up?" He asks knowing she'll talk more now.

"Not so great. Break ups suck."

"No kidding." He replies. "You want me to stop by now?"

"No, it's okay." She smiles into the phone. "It can wait until lunch. I think I just really needed to hear a friendly voice, that's all."

Dawson sighs. "You miss him. It's only natural."

"Yeah." She takes a deep breath before adding. "Part of me wants to call him and say we can and should try this together, that we can work it out...but that's just the part of me that misses being half of a couple. But I can't do that anymore. I can't be with someone just because I don't want to be alone"

"Believe me, Jo, I know that feeling. And it will pass. You're strong."

Joey laughs, "Oh, you believe in me too much. You always did."

"And I still do. Anyway," he adds, now in a lighter tone, "You get the chance to have lunch with a Hollywood director and more importantly, he's buying."

(Opening theme starts)

"Yeah you are." She laughs. "See you at noon, then?"

"Sure. See you, Jo." He clicks the 'end' button on his cell and is about to put it in his pocket when it starts ringing again. He answers it the way he did before, "Hello?"

"Dawson, guess what?" says a female voice. "I had to take an earlier flight..."

"Samantha?" He asked confused.

"Yeah, I'm in New York."

"I...I thought that wasn't until tomorrow!" He says surprised.

Samantha laughs "Yeah, well... surprise!"

CREDITS


Jack and Doug arriving in New York

Jack and Doug are sitting on the train that takes them to New York. Doug is looking out the window. Jack's reading through the information his lawyer gave him.

Jack is kind of excited about visiting those associations and Doug can tell. Jack hasn't stop drumming his fingers on his left leg, which is getting on Doug's nerves.

"Jack, honey. Stop!" Doug says, taking Jack's hand in his, making him stop drumming.

"Sorry," Jack apologizes. "I can't help myself." He looks at Doug and all his fears are evident in his eyes.

"Why are you so nervous? I thought you wanted to do this," Doug asks.

"And I do. But what if I can't find the help I need and I end up losing Amy?" Jack replies. "I don't want to lose her, Doug. I can't lose her. And after the fight I had with Helen... I'm not sure I will be able to keep her anymore."

Doug remembers the unpleasant scene with Helen Lindley at Jack's house. She didn't have any right to intrude into their lives and judge them like that.

"I can still remember her face when she told me this wasn't the life she wanted for Amy," Jack remembers with a sad look in his face. "You know what she meant, Doug. She doesn't want me to be Amy's father because I'm gay."

"I know you're upset about that Jack, I am too. But everything's going to be all right," Doug reassures him. But inside, he isn't that sure.

"I'm not sure about that, Doug. You barely knew Jen. And you don't know anything about her teenage years. Helen Lindley wasn't a good mother. All she wanted from her daughter was for her to be a china doll - always perfect, without an opinion of her own. That's why Jen became so reckless, that's why they sent her to Capeside." Jack remembers all the troubles Jen had had before moving to Capeside. She had told him through the years all the things she had done to annoy her parents. And he remembers her crying because of that, even when after she became an adult. "

"I won't let her do the same thing to Amy, Doug. I need to get permanent custody. I have to prove Social Services wrong and show them I should be her father," Jack continues with determination in his voice.

"And we're going to prove that to them together. I meant what I said before. It's going to be okay," Doug says.

"I hope so. In the meantime, I'm going to talk with these people and we'll see." Jack was trying to sound hopeful but it wasn't working.

Doug looks at him for a moment and smiles. Both stay in a comfortable silence for a while.

"There are a lot of people to talk to here and I want to see Joey while we're in New York. I think I'm going to have to spend a couple of days here," Jack says suddenly, making Doug turn suddenly.

"A couple of days? You know I have to be back in Capeside tonight," Doug replies.

"I know, I know. It's just that... couldn't you make some phone calls or something and stay with me?" Jack asks hopefully. Doug looks at him concerned.

"You know I can't do that, Jack." Doug answers softly.

"But I thought you wanted to go through it all with me. I thought you wanted to support me with all this," Jack says, quietly, but his voice full of resentment.

"And I do want to go through all this with you, Jack. But I'm the Sheriff. I can't leave and do whatever I please," Doug defends himself.

Jack says nothing.

"Jack, come on. You know I have to go back." Doug continues, almost pleading.

"I know, I know." Jack sighs. "But it doesn't mean that I'm not a little upset. I need you by my side." Jack says in a low voice. Doug takes a deep breath.

"And today, I will be by your side. But I can't stay longer," Doug takes Jack's hand in his and squeezes it.

Jack squeezes Doug's hand back and smiles at him. But when Doug returns his attention to the window, Jack's face turns serious and sad.


Pacey´s apartment, New Orleans (early evening)

The living room of the apartment looks like a tornado crossed through it-in usual Pacey style. Boxes, books, clothes are spread over the polished wooden floors. Pacey´s dark head is bent over a box as he retrieves some prized possessions with a sigh of success - some shot glasses, picture frames, a tiny symbol of the Civilization restaurant and a framed photograph of Joey sitting on a bench in Central Park, taken the first month they were together in New York. He stares at it for a moment before he quickly stuffs it under some newspaper with a slightly pained expression. He sits back among the piles of boxes and possessions he has collected over the past ten years, and surveys the damage.

It's a nice old place-very New Orleans, very Southern and very charming. He gets up and walks over to the window, pushing open the old-fashioned frame to peer outside at the lively street. A new life is beginning for him and a slow smile appears on his face as he starts to feel the effects of a promising career in a happening city. A happening but very hot city. Fanning himself, Pacey opens the window wider to let more air into the room. "Hot in the city..." he starts to sing to the radio propped up on the window sill, nodding to the words. "Should call the guy who got me here," he murmurs.

Nearly tripping over his kitchen stuff, he tries to find his cell phone with no success. He catches a glimpse of more pictures which unsettle him... one of Dawson, Joey and himself as teenagers. Joey is looking at Dawson with a mixture of adoration and amusement as he does some sort of goofy pose. The picture is large and colorful... and the message is clear.

"Why do I have this?" he mutters to himself, discarding it behind the blue leather couch he had bought with almost the last of his savings. The other picture is of Andie. 'Ancient,' he decides but he still stares at it for a while with a little smile in his face before he carefully places it on a bookshelf near the couch.

He finally discovers his phone behind a toaster and he dials Brecher's number. "Brecher? Dude, it's Pacey. This place is awesome." He laughs at something Brecher says and flops down on the couch.

"So when do I begin, my man?"

He grins-he likes what he hears.

"How am I doing?" he repeats what Brecher has asked him. He mulls over this for a moment. Then says crisply, "I'm doing fine except for this awful heat." He adds, "I need air conditioning and fast."

Brecher says what sounds like, 'Then you can have it,' and Pacey grins again. "Now that's what I'm talking about."


JFK airport

Dawson drives up outside the main terminal building of the JFK International Airport in his new metallic blue Toyota 4Runner with tinted windows. Glancing at his watch, he notes he's ten minutes later than he had expected to be. He hopes that Sam hadn't gotten fed up waiting for him. As he surveys the scene, he spots her sitting by the main entrance, looking rather bored as she inspects her nails.

He exits the car and as he approaches her says, "Excuse me! Haven't I seen you on TV before?"

She looks up at the sound of the familiar voice. A smile spreads across her face at the sight of her friend. "Hey! You're here!"

"It would appear I am." He replies as she gets to her feet. "So, how are you?"

"I'm really good, can't complain. Well, actually I could, but I'll save that for later."

He chuckles and she kisses his cheek before they move to hug each other.

The hug is quite brief but in that short space of time, anyone who was watching could see they are comfortable with each other. There is a sense of familiarity between them, as though they once shared something, now it's over and they're happy with it.

"And, how are you?" She asks once they can see each other again.

"You know me," he answers as he moves to help her with her bags. "Same old, same old."

"You mean too much to do and never enough time to do it all in? Or maybe that best friend of yours hasn't let you have too much free time?" she asks playfully.

Dawson gives her a questioning look.

"Yeah, Dawson!" She laughs. "I know you," she says as they deposit her stuff in the trunk of his car.

"I'm really sorry to impose on you like this, arriving a day earlier and everything..." Samantha tells him over the top of the car, now more serious. "Nice car by the way," she says, eyeing it.

"Thanks, Joey helped me pick it out." He regrets his words the moment Samantha throws him another inquisitive glance. "And you coming sooner than expected it's no problem. Really it's not. It'll give you time to see some of the sites."

"That it will." She smiles as they climb into the car.

"So, how was your flight?"

"Aw, don't ask. The short version is, I got stuck beside the passenger from hell! He would not stop talking before and while the plane was taking off and then as soon as we took off, he's fast asleep and snoring!" She gestures with her hands.

He laughs. "That does sound a...a little bad..."

"There's no 'little' about it. I was tired! I wanted it to be me that was sleeping."

"And snoring. What? Don't look at me like that. You snore."

She just glares at him as he laughs and starts to make his way through the traffic again.

"The only consolation was that I got to see the Friends finale again! You ever need some help on writing the end of anything, you watch that show. The Geller-Green wedding..." She puts her hand over her heart and closes her eyes, sighing. "And the Mondler baby!"

"Mondler?" He asks, his eyebrow raised questioningly.

She rolls her eyes at him. "You really need to see more TV!"

"As if," he says, taking a curve.

Downtown at the HPA, (The Homosexual Parents Association)

Steven, the regional director of the HPA, is fifty years old but looks forty and is relaxed and efficient. He is going through the counselling and guidance available to gay parents and their rights, a service Jack is desperate to receive-anything to keep his baby girl. Anything.

"We are an established community of gay parents, who support each other through everything-from split-ups gone ugly, surrogate parenthood, and of course, discrimination and custody battles," he tells Jack and Doug, who are sitting, not so relaxed, in green armchairs.

"Gay parents do have rights...and if you were awarded custody by Amy's mother then all the more." He shuffles papers, noticing Jack and Doug's nervousness and smiles at them reassuringly. "So...uh...when was this place started?" Jack asks after a brief pause.

"1982."

"Wow...that's old." Jack wrings his hands together, hoping Amy is okay with the baby sitter. Doug laughs at Jack's reply. "We are well established, yes," Steven grins. Just then, a 20-something man strides into the office and hands over some documents to Steven.

"Jack...Doug...this is my son, Brian. He didn't get my gay genes," Steven adds with a chuckle. Brain reaches to shake Jack and Doug's hands, obviously comfortable in the situation despite his heterosexuality. Jack is impressed. Most straight guys he meets are uncomfortable around him. Only a handful, Dawson and Pacey included, seem completely at ease with his homosexuality.

"Can I ask you a question?" Jack asks, a thought bubbling in his mind.

"Sure," Brian answers, settling down comfortably on his father's desk.

"Was it..." Jack hesitates. "Hard to find out the truth about your father?" He is thinking about Amy and what Amy's reaction will be once she is older and understands his...alternative circumstance. Brian looks serious as he answers. "It was hard at first," he admits, looking back at his father. "I was young and didn't understand. I was worried what my friends would think. But then I realized my dad didn't change-he was still the same guy and I'm proud of his achievements," he finishes with a flourish.

Steven shrugs. "It's a common situation. Hopefully by the time your little girl is old enough to understand-and make her own conclusions-social attitudes will have changed. They already have since the nineties."

"That's for sure," Jack agrees, thinking back to his challenging days as one of the only gay students at Capeside High. Now, he was in the gayest city in the world. Doug, sensing his anxiousness over Amy, rubs his back comfortingly. Jack smiles, his shoulders relaxing. He has Doug, at least.


Joey's office, NY

Joey is still sitting at her desk, reading a manuscript she is working on with Ethan. Ethan is sitting in front of her, taking notes as he reads his own copy of the same manuscript. Joey looks at her watch and seeing the hour, prepares to leave.

"Ethan, I'm having lunch with an old friend and we'll probably spend the rest of the day together. I most likely won't be back today," Joey tells him while she is cleaning off her desk.

"An old friend?" Ethan asks with a sly grin growing on his face. "Is this something the boyfriend should know about?" he teases her.

"There's nothing the boyfriend should know about because there's no boyfriend anymore," she replies. "He's just a friend."

'Well, actually he's not JUST a friend. He's much more than that,´ she thinks but she doesn't tell this to Ethan. She knows he wouldn't understand.

"Wait, wait. Go back to the moment where you said there's no boyfriend anymore," Ethan says, this time with a little concern.

"What about that?" she says.

"What about that?!" he repeats. "What happened? The last time I checked you had a boyfriend."

"I know but we broke up. Happens every day," She answers flatly.

Although she didn't want to go on with her relationship with Pacey, she's still kind of grieving. That's the way it always goes. No matter how sure you are that you made the right decision or that it was for the best. But she isn't in the mood to explain her love life to Ethan.

"What happened?" he asks again. "Are you okay?"

Joey's moved by his concern. "Yeah, I'm fine," she smiles. "And life happened."

Now Ethan is more than a little intrigued and determined to find out more about it.

"Joey," he says, reaching for her and placing his hand on her arm to stop her as she walks near him on her way to the door. "I'm serious. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Joey sighs. "Don't worry Ethan. I'm okay. It was a mutual thing. I'm a little sad but I'll survive."

It's obvious to Ethan that there's more and he tries one last time.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" he asks.

"Yes, I'm sure." Joey answers, placing her hand over his hand, squeezing it briefly and smiling softly at him. Actually, she wants to talk about it, but not with him "Thank you for asking, anyway."

And with that, she walks out the door, leaving a confused and a little worried Ethan behind her.

Meanwhile, a stressed Dawson drives through the city. He's regretting the moment he thought about driving in the hell that is New York traffic.

He stops and dials Joey's number again. He listens to her voice mail once more and hangs up, sighing. By his side, an amused Samantha looks out her window.

"I'm trying to contact her but her cell phone is off," Dawson says suddenly making Samantha wake up from her daydream. She looks at him, saying nothing.

"We had planned to meet for lunch. I just want to tell her you're coming. I don't think she'll mind, though."

"I hope not," Samantha says simply and turns her attention back to the huge buildings that surround them.

"I'll try and call her again in a few minutes." He looks at Samantha, a little concern on his face. He isn't sure what Joey's reaction will be when she sees Samantha. He knows Joey wants to talk to him but with Sam there, it won't be possible. It has taken her the whole week to be ready to talk about it and now... he suppresses a sigh as swerves through traffic.

The scene fades to...


Blue Ice Bar and Grill restaurant off Third Avenue, evening

Samantha and Dawson are sitting at a table in the corner, waiting for Joey, both drinking rum and cokes and eating from a bowl of tortilla chips, basking in each others company.

"I have an aunt here--my dad's aunt, she's in the Village. I told her yesterday I was coming here and she wasn't so thrilled," Samantha chuckles somewhat bitterly, reaching for another chip, "But hey, I'm family. I won't be there for too long, that's for sure." Her pretty mouth stretches into a grin.

"Yikes," Dawson sympathizes, keeping an eye out for Joey, his eyes lighting up when he sees her walk through the front door and look around expectantly. She spots them and weaves over to the table, confusion written on her face as she sees Samantha and Dawson together at the table. What was Samantha doing there?

"Hi," she says, raising her eyebrows at Dawson.

"I tried to call you but there was no answer." He stands up and pulls out Joey's chair for her to sit. Samantha raises her eyebrows - he hadn't done that for her. She smiles to herself knowingly.

"The batteries went dead on my phone. I just replaced them," Joey explains, smoothing down her hair and taking off her stylish chenille scarf. "Typical, really," she adds softly in swift annoyance.

"Hi Joey," Samantha smiles, all friendly, determined to get onto Joey's good side. Joey smiles lightly and nods her head to her. "I apologize. I know you weren't expecting me here, but Dawson is the only person - other than an evil aunt - that I know in this city. So I'll be taking up a lot of his time because I'm not one to entertain myself in a foreign, strange city," she laughs softly, joking, smiling affectionately at her friend, thankfully not noticing Joey's not amused expression.

"The east coast isn't exactly foreign but I do see your point, Sam," Dawson jokes, taking the glass in his hand and leaning back in his chair, turning his head to smile at Joey, who quickly hides her disappointment and smiles back warmly. "Samantha has joined the Spielberg project," he tells her proudly. Once again Joey has to force a smile, this time congratulatory, onto her face, which is looking drawn and thinner than usual. Dawson notices, cocking his head to one side, studying her. `Just as I expected,´ he thinks but he doesn't say anything in front of Samantha.

Instead, he signals to the waiter.

"That's great," Joey tells Samantha brightly, "Are you excited?"

"Oh, very much," Samantha replies enthusiastically, relieved at Joey's friendliness. She realized it was important to be friends with Joey if she was to remain close with Dawson - you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

The waiter approaches them and Joey asks for a dry martini, stirred, just like a true professional.

"Classy," Dawson comments, picking up his less classy drink. Joey gently kicks his shin and he chuckles just as her cell phone goes off.

"Jack, hi," she says, nibbling on a chip. "Tonight?" she chews the rest of the chip as Jack asks her to meet up with him at a bar since he is in New York. She flicks her eyes to Dawson, who is focusing all his attention on her conversation since he heard Jack's name.

Joey looks at him and Samantha watches them while listening to Joey curiously.

"Sure! Yeah. I have a surprise for you," she grins widely at Dawson, who is clearly the surprise. "No, I'm not telling you now, Jack. No. No you can't guess. Oh, okay," Joey relents, "It's tall, friendly and has a deep voice."

Dawson wrinkles his brow at such a weird description of himself.

"No, not Harrison Ford - but close," Joey says with a grin in her face.

Dawson smirks, nodding and Samantha rolls her eyes, "Keep dreaming," she says sarcastically but Dawson doesn't notice. He and Joey are locked in a sweet smiling gaze as Joey playfully speaks to Jack on the phone.

Samantha sips her drink, pensive, a smirk they don't notice (but of course) playing on her lips.


Inside 'Renaissance', Brecher's new restaurant

"Well, I think that's everything," Danny says as they exit what appears to be the kitchen. "Any questions? Did I miss anything?" He asks as he goes over his mental checklist.

"I think you pretty much nailed everything. And wow, Civilization has NOTHING on this place."

"If you think this is great, you should see my other restaurant."

"Ah, the one you fell in love with after having dinner there and hating it!" Pacey chuckles.

"Yep! The place was classy enough. The right atmosphere, location was perfect but..." he runs a hand thought his hair. "The food was terrible. I asked to see the manager and told him the place was great but that the head chef needed to be shot."

Pacey laughs. "Only you would do that."

"He said they'd been having problems with the cooking staff and losing money. The owner was thinking it was time to cut their losses. I told him to have the owner call me..."

"And it all went from there?"

"Exactly!"

"Why don't you just manage both though? I know you could do it."

Danny shakes his head. "Pacey, Pacey, Pacey...did I not teach you anything?"

"Apparently not." He laughs.

"I can't give both of them my undivided attention, which is what they both would need to be successful. But with help from the right person..."

"That's me right?" he asks, with a proud smile on his face.

"You crack me up, kid." Danny laughs. "Yeah, that's you. With the right person it will work. Who better than my protégé?"

"Right."

"Everyone should be here soon. We'll go over the intros and you can have your big 'I'm in charge' pep talk. Then you get to work. It's what I pay you for."

Pacey is still looking around the restaurant, the way a child looks around a toy store the first time they are in one. Danny watches him closely.

"So, do you think it was the right decision?"

"Moving here?" Pacey asks, and Danny nods. "Yeah, for so many reasons."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Just a few things that I needed to change in my life but this...it feels right," he replies, running his finger over the inscribed menu cover. "Total control?" he asks Brecher, looking up from the menu.

"You bet! Well, more or less." Danny winks. "But... we already think alike so...we'll almost always be on the same page."

Just then people start to file into the main part of the restaurant.

"Here's the team now. Sophie!" He calls, gesturing for a red head to come join them. "Sophie is going to be your assistant manager. Hey Sophie, this is Pacey Witter. Pacey meet Sophie."

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Witter!" She replies, shaking Pacey´s hand, causing him to laugh.

"Pacey...please, Mr. Witter makes me feel so old," he says as he quickly and almost instinctively takes in how his new assistant looks. Red hair, dark green eyes, high cheekbones. His final thought was she was pretty in that unique way that would make guys give her a second look.

"I'll leave you two for a few moments. I need to go make a phone call," Danny says, turning away from them.

Before Brecher enters the office just off of the main part of the restaurant, he turns to see Pacey and Sophie talking animatedly and he smiles. The kid was the right choice.

Outside the Blue Ice bar

Dawson walks Joey outside and offers to hail a cab for her. "Don't bother. I could do it better than you any day," Joey teases him. Dawson just shrugs and does it anyway.

He pauses, and then says, "I'm sorry about Samantha. I mean, I'm sorry I didn't tell you that it wasn't just going to be you and me. I tried to get a hold of you €“"

"It's okay," Joey interrupts, tying her scarf around her neck slowly. "Really." But her face betrays her, it's not okay. She wanted to see Dawson alone, to talk, just the two of them. And now this Samantha girl - an ex-girlfriend no less - was weaselling her way into Dawson's life and she wasn't happy about it. But if Dawson was happy... Joey smiles for him as he has started to look a bit concerned. "I just wanted to have one of those three hour mind-blowing conversations we are so good at. But I'm sure we can do that another day."

"Of course we can," he says, looking at her and smiling.

"By the way, Jack wants me to meet him for dinner sometimes and you have to join us. You're my surprise," she tells him, swiftly changing the subject.

"I know, I'm Harrison Ford." Dawson says wryly. Joey cocks her head and laughs.

"So...will you come?"

"Of course I will," Dawson says firmly, getting a little annoyed when an empty cab drives right past them.

"Samantha can come too," Joey says pointedly. Dawson gives her a look and Joey smiles.

"Thanks, I'll tell her and I'll let you know." He says vaguely.

He's not sure if he should tell Sam, actually. He knows Joey has some kind of hang up about Samantha - he's not stupid. Maybe he should avoid putting the two women together for now. Or maybe he was just over-reacting. And after all, shouldn't he be the one who's uncomfortable hanging around with not just one but two ex-lovers? Although now-a-days, he and Joey acted as if they had never had sex, but still. He probably got practice being tolerant from Jen and Joey being good buddies.

"Here, I'll do it." Joey gently moves him aside and raised her arm. Almost immediately a cab squeals to a stop in front of them, mostly because of her womanly wiles.

Dawson can't help but be amused, although he is also a little embarrassed and it shows. Joey notices and she stands on her tiptoes, kissing his cheek, which takes him by surprise. He stares at her. "Thank you for trying. See you later, Dawson," she says as she enters the cab.

"Bye," he says, slightly listlessly, watching as the cab speed up the street. He sighs, frustrated. She was acting almost the same way she acted when a fifteen- year- old Jen came into his life and enchanted him. But Samantha was just a good friend, and even if she was more, why should Joey care? She was acting like jealous Joey but she couldn't be.

He narrows his eyes thoughtfully before turning and going back inside the bar.