Login     Help

7.04 - What Can Never Be by BeatrizRC, Eden, Elyse

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jack's place, later that night

Jack is sitting in a semi-darkened living room with Amy in his arms, crooning softly to her. There is a knock at the door and Grams crosses from the kitchen to answer it.

"Pacey, what a nice surprise," Jack looks up at Grams' voice. A minute later she enters the room, Pacey behind her.

"Hey Jack," Pacey says, "I just came to visit my favorite girl there." At the sound of his voice, Amy lifts her head sleepily and looks at him. Pacey smiles at her and she responds similarly, holding out her arms. Pacey looks to Jack, "Can I take her?"

"Please," Jack hands Amy over to Pacey who accepts her willingly. "Maybe you can get her to sleep, I've had no luck."

Pacey cuddles Amy close against him, kissing her forehead and her hair as he murmurs greetings Grams and Jack can't hear. They watch him in silence as he takes a seat, Amy still snuggled close in his embrace.

"Is anything wrong, Pacey?" Grams finally asks, worried.

"No, nothing is wrong," Pacey say, his voice quiet. "Joey and I broke up."

Grams and Jack stare in silence, mouths open for a moment. "When?" Jack regains control of his mouth first.

"Tonight, I just drove up from New York." He pauses. "It was a mutual decision, probably for the best. I'm leaving for New Orleans in two days. I only came back to pack. And to say goodbye." He takes a moment to look at them all, a sad expression on his face. "So enough about me, what happened here this weekend?"

Jack and Grams exchange a glance. Should they allow him to change the topic like this? Shouldn't they be listening to him, helping him deal with this massive change in his life? Finally, Jack decides to let Pacey dictate what he wants to do and begins.

"Well, Helen Lindley came to visit."

Pacey looks surprised, "Wow, really? What did she want?"

Jack's face gets tight, "She wanted to come and see Amy. And in a way, to let us know that she might challenge my guardianship of Amy."

The only word to describe Pacey's face is appalled. He looks from Jack to Grams to the bundle that is Amy, now sound asleep in his arms, and back to Jack again. "You're kidding." He takes one look at Jack's face. "You're not kidding."

"No, I wish he was," Grams speaks up. "It seems Helen wants to re-live her life with Jen through Amy. She seems determined to 'fix the mistakes she made'." Grams looks down, somber. "I tried to talk her out of it, so did Jack, but I don't think we got through to her."

Pacey watches as Jack moves to sit beside Grams, comforting himself as much as her. "Maybe I shouldn't go, then," Pacey says, causing Jack and Grams to both look up at him. "If this happens, things might get rough around here and you might need a friend." He pauses. "I don't think Jen would ever forgive me if I let you go through this alone. I..." He swallows remembering that moment. "I kind of promised her I would take care of Amy if anything happened."

Grams smiles at Pacey, obviously touched. "Thank you for the offer Pacey but it's better for you to go and take your new job and get your life settled. If this thing with Helen is going to happen, there isn't much you can do to stop it."

Pacey nods reluctantly and leans down to kiss Amy once again. "Besides," Grams continues, "you seem to forget that Jennifer only ever wanted you to be happy. And if moving to New Orleans is what will make you happy, you need to do it."

Pacey nods, understanding, and for a long moment they all just sit in silence, enjoying the quiet as they wait for the next part of their lives to unfold.


Dawson's loft, New York

Both Dawson and Joey stand side by side, their arms crossed over their chest, looking at the result of their joined effort. Almost everything seems to be in its right place now. Only a few boxes are left, and some of the stuff Dawson uses or will use for his job: photography equipment, video-camera, films, etc, will be moved next day to the first floor of the loft.

"Well, it's unbelievable, but seems like we did it. Thanks a lot" he says, turning to her, "I couldn't have made this without you"

"You're more than welcome"

("The promise" by Tracy Chapman, starts playing in the background)

They smile at each other, then go back to look around them.

"So this is it" Joey says "You're in New York now"

If you wait for me then I'll come for you
Although I've traveled far
I always hold a place for you in my heart

"Yep. A whole world of new possibilities are now opened in front of me" he says jokingly.

Joey looks at him and laughs as he looks at her out the corner of his eye through narrowed eyelids, smiling.

If you think of me, If you miss me once in awhile
Then I'll return to you
I'll return and fill that space in your heart

"I'm glad I'm gonna be here to experience them with you" she says in a sweet voice. After so many years of them living separate, keeping contact every now and then through emails or phone calls that never seemed to be enough, this is really a change for them. Together in the same town again.

"Me too" he replies, and his eyes are sparkling, just like hers, as they look at each other.

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you

But the moment is broken by the sound of a grumbling stomach.

"No comments" Dawson says, laughing as Joey blushes.

"You better, you're the one who has been keeping me from eating in the last few hours"

"True" he says, laughing "I apologize. How can I make up for that?"

I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
If you dream of me like I dream of you
In a place that's warm and dark
In a place where I can feel the beating of your heart

"Mmmmm...." Joey pretends to be pensive "Maybe you can feed me now after exploding me?" and he laughs again "Just in case you're interested, I know a place near here that might be of your taste" she adds.

Together again
It would feel so good to be
In your arms
Where all my journeys end

Just then his stomachs grumbles too and this time is Joey who laughs.

"That sounds good to me" Dawson says, stating the obvious and laughing along with her.

"Ok, so let's go then"

If you can make a promise
If it's one that you can keep,
I vow to come for you

Last thing we see is the two of them chatting, Dawson opening the door and holding it open for her and then how the door is closed behind them.

If you wait for me and say you'll hold
A place for me in your heart

CREDITS