Login     Help

7.02 - What Lies Beneath by Eden, Deb, Shelly

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Taxi in NYC

Joey stares out the window, watching New York pass in a blur. Every time she steps foot in a New York taxi, she finds herself clutching the door with white knuckles. As the taxi pulls to a quick stop at a traffic light, she loosens her grip on the door handle reluctantly.

Her cell phone rings shrilly in her purse. It's probably work. Probably Ethan hounding her about one deadline or another. Pressing 'talk,' she states "Hello?" in a flat, monotone voice.

"Jo?"

"Bessie?"

"I've been trying to get a hold of you for days! Where have you been and why haven't you been answering your phone?" Bessie lectures in what Joey can only describe as Bessie's "mom voice."

"Calm down, Bess. I had to go to L.A. for work."

"I see," Bessie said knowingly.

"You see what?" Joey says, irritated. She grips the door handle in anticipation as the traffic light suddenly turns green.

"Nothing."

"What, Bessie?"

"I just know that my little sister has no time for the outside world when Dawson Leery is around," Bessie laughs.

"Bessie," Joey rolls her eyes. "You know we're just friends. You know I'm with Pacey."

"So you've reminded me a millions times. Doesn't mean I can't try to set things right," Bessie says and Joey swears she hears her wink.

"You just don't give up, do you?" Joey sighs.

"Never. You know how I feel about this. For God's sake, he was banging a married woman last time I checked!"

Joey rolls her eyes and sighs frustrated

"It wasn't like that, it was... "

"Yeah, I know. I don't know why I even try. You always make up excuses for him anyway. Everybody has to be perfect but him. He can be as messed up as he wants. Someday you'll have to explain that to me."

"Yes, someday, but for now can we just drop the subject please?"

Sensing the infuriated tone creeping in Joey's voice, Bessie agrees to change the subject.

"Listen, I wanted to talk wedding plans with you. I've been trying to figure out--" and a little of anxiety can be noticed in her voice.

"I thought you didn't care much about it and you were doing this only for Alex?" Joey knows that's not true no matter what her sister says but she just can't help to tease her about it.

"You know, since Gale's wedding he's been asking more and more questions and there are things he just can't understand. I don't want him to grow up ashamed of me like you did." When she hears those words, Joey tenses in her seat.

"Bessie, that's not true. I was never ashamed of you... but of our whole situation. You've always been great. I know we fought a lot and sometimes I would say some mean things... and I... I would hurt you and I... I'm sorry, Bessie. For what is worth, let me tell you now that as I look back now, I see the amazing person you have always been."

There's a silence in the other side of the line.

"Wow. I surely wasn't expecting to hear you say something like that when I called. Thank you, little sis."

Joey smiles and she knows Bessie is also smiling.

"And don't worry, I have next weekend set aside for us to work on your wedding," Joey explains. "I will try to be around more often as the date approaches for the final touches and everything, okay?”

She hears Bessie sigh. "Everything will be fine. Trust me -" A beep sounds in Joey's ear, notifying her of another call. "Can I call you back, Bess? I have another call."

"Sure. Bye, Jo."

"Bye." Joey clicked over to her other line. "Hello?"

"Joey! Where in the hell have you been? I've been trying to reach you for hours!"

"Well, hello to you too, Ethan. What seems to be the problem?" Joey asks, trying not to sound irritated at being called on her day off.

"I can't find that manuscript. You know the one?" Ethan sounds nervous.

"Yes. It's in my top left hand drawer. Remember?" Joey answers, drumming her fingers on her knee.

"Oh, right. Thanks. When are you coming back to work again?" he chuckles. "I'm so lost here without you, Joey."

"I'm sure. But aren't you supposed to be the one keeping me organized?" Joey laughs back.

"Something like that," he says. Joey could almost hear the smile in his voice. He had calmed down considerably. She hears a voice saying something on the other end and suddenly Ethan says, "I have to go, Jo. See you tomorrow."

"Bye, Ethan," Joey grins, loving that she had the rest of the day off with no deadlines, no meetings. Throwing her phone back into her purse, she peers out the window and is determined to enjoy the rest of her ride home. It was about time she worked on being fearless, after all.


A trendy restaurant in L.A.

“Tell me who we're having dinner with again?" Dawson asks as he tosses a few bills at the cab driver.

"Hannah and Jake. I told you that. Come on, we're late," Samantha answers, tugging on his arm.

"Um, no, actually what you said was 'A few of us from work are going out to dinner. Want to come?' Aren't Hannah and Jake dating?" Dawson lowers his voice on the last word.

"Yeah, they're dating," she smirks as she lowers her voice on the same word. "So what?"

"So what? Aren't you worried about…" He pauses and looks at her pointedly. "You know, about people talking?" he continues when she doesn't respond. She raises her eyebrows innocently.

"You've already sullied my good name so I'm not worried," she laughs. He chuckles and holds his arm out.

"Funny. But I still think it's a little weird that we're doing this. I mean, we only broke up about a month ago."

"Dawson, we dated for 6 weeks. It's not like we were engaged. Besides, this is just a dinner amongst friends. Everyone else but Hannah and Jake had plans already and I didn't want to be the third wheel. And you need to relax a little, have some fun. End of story. Man, you're always like this after Joey visits or calls," Samantha sighs as they walk into the restaurant.

"I am not," Dawson protests.

"Sure, whatever," she chuckled. "Reservations for Leery," she says to the hostess.

"Right this way, ma'am," the hostess says, gesturing with some menus.

"So, how did Joey like the house? Did we do a good job?"

"She loved it. Thanks for the help," he says as he pulls out her chair and she sits. He sits as well and flags down a waiter, ordering them drinks.

"Looks like we beat them here. Hope they show up or my name will be further dragged through the mud," she smiles, taking a sip of the water in front of her.

"Hey, I explained to the media a million times that Sammy is not based on you. It's not my fault they don't believe me."

"We didn't help things by dating either. Regardless, it helped the show. I don't think it would help ratings, though, if they found out that Sammy and Colby aren't together," she declares.

"I really don't think that people are that interested in Sammy and Colby," Dawson protests. "I mean, the heart of the show is the friendships, not who dates who."

"Dawson, we've had this argument a million times. Remember, I write the weekly column on our website. I answer all the questions from the fans. I know what the audience wants - they like the friendships but the Sammy/Colby storyline is the heart of the show. And I will not hear another word about it," she says as she sees him attempt to argue.

"Okay, okay," he relents, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Now, what's this I hear about you being offered a job?" She changes the subject. He tells her all about the offer to work with Spielberg and she gasps. "Are you serious? This is such a fantastic opportunity, Dawson!" She looks so happy for him that he can't help but grin back.

"Yeah, it is. And I'm glad it was offered to me and that I finally decided to accept it. But at the same time I don't know if I should leave the show," he explains.

"Yes, you should. And you will! Do you know what this could do to your career?!" she says and he smiles, her good mood contagious. "Oh, they're here!" She waves them over before turning back to him. "Think you can put in a good word for me with Spielberg?" she winks at him before greeting their friends.


Joey's apartment in New York (late evening)

An assortment of pots lies unevenly stacked on the bench in Joey's small kitchen. Pacey emerges from the pantry carrying a couple of jars of dried herbs and a container of flour. He shakes his head and mutters to himself, "It's no wonder that the woman never puts on any weight."

Pacey slides a drawer open withdrawing a measuring cup and scooping out half a cup of flour. He then dumps it into a mixing bowl sending a fine layer of flour into the air. He reaches for the lone egg already sitting on the counter and with one hand cracks it into the bowl. A long piece of egg white dribbles down his arm. Looking around the room for a cloth to wipe it up and finding none, he rubs his arm clean on the leg of his jeans.

His cell phone rings. Sighing, Pacey reaches into his jeans pocket and looks at the phone's screen before flipping it open.

“Hi Gretchen.”

“Well, you couldn't reach me at home because I'm at Joey's. She's fine. Due to walk in the door any moment. She just got back from a work thing in L.A. What's up anyway?”

“No, I don't want to rush you but I've got a delicate mix of egg and flour here that needs my attention if Jo is going to have a decent dinner tonight. Really? I don't know what to say. It's not as if I've exactly been in that situation before.”

Pacey holds the phone in the crook of his neck releasing his hands to start stirring the mixture in the bowl. Well I wouldn't rush any decision if I were you, Gretch. Speaking of decisions, I just made a pretty big one of my own today. I've decided to accept a job offer to run a restaurant in New Orleans.''

“No, I haven't told her yet. Yeah I know. It's a pretty big deal. I've been toying with the idea for the last few days but I have already kind of confirmed it with Danny Brecher." He says this a little shamefacedly, aware for a moment that he may have been hasty in accepting the job.

"You know, you sound like Dougie and for the record, that's really not a compliment. Yeah, yeah, its 'cause you care." He says the last word with a snort, then pauses for a moment, listening intently.

"How do I know what my heart's telling me to do, Gretchen? Its not the most vocal of my organs, let me tell you."

He bites his lower lip a little, as he imagines Gretchen's cringe at his last comment. "Okay, that was too much. Sorry. This is serious, and I know you're trying to help. I just... look, I don't know what to do. I don't know why I haven't told Joey yet. Apart from the glorious city that is New Orleans and Bourbon Street, it's the thought of working with Danny again. He taught me everything about working in a kitchen and running a restaurant and even though he definitely didn't want to be seen as my 'mentor', he really was that. Its almost like I owe it to him to go…," Pacey trails off, the import of his words hitting home.

He lets out a breath, pausing to listen to Gretchen encouraging him into following what his heart just put into words. His attention focuses on his sister's advice and he fails to notice Joey tiptoe around the open kitchen door. She walks stealthily up behind him, a mischievous smile playing around her lips. Pacey obliviously continues the conversation, stirring the mixture with a burst of vigour.

"Well, anyway, it's not that simple, sis. I love Joey. If she wasn't in my life, don't you think I would be on the first plane to New Orleans? There would be no hesitation. I just don't know how she's going to react. Actually, can you imagine the reaction? I can see it already. 'Hi honey, glad you're home from spending quality time with Dawson. I've got a new job, we're moving to New Orleans!'"

Joey's arms fall helplessly to her sides. She pauses and stands for a moment staring at Pacey´s back.

Pacey laughs at Gretchen's response on the other end of the line. Behind him, Joey's lower lip trembles slightly and her eyes narrow.

“Yeah, I know. All I've got to do now is let Joey in on the exciting news. I'm still not sure how I'm gonna to do it."

"Wanna try a different approach?" Joey's voice breaks the light-hearted banter between the Witter siblings.

Pacey quickly turns to see her standing behind him, the travel bag still hanging on her shoulder, her face now glowering as she stares at him. "So….when should I start packing Pacey?"


Joey's apartment (New York)

Pacey swallows and takes a breath. “Uh, Gretchen, I'll talk to you later, k?” he says into the phone. “Yeah…I'll be fine. I think. Night.” He pushes the end button on the phone, and drops it onto the table beside him. He tries not to clear his throat, because that would just seem like he is scared. He isn't. Honest.

“Why don't you put your bag down and take a load off before we talk?” Pacey says.

He can see the storm in her eyes. Nothing can stop it, it's inevitable. Doug and even Gretchen warned him to tell her before it was too late. This is not going to be pretty.

Joey drops her bags to the floor with a thud and tosses her jacket on the table.

“So…when do I get to taste some good old Cajun cooking, Pacey? Do some shopping on Bourbon Street, honey?” Joey says, the pet name dripping with something that isn't particularly sweet.

Pacey risks a small smile. “Funny you mention Bourbon Street, I've always wanted to go…” He stops, realizing that the risk really isn't worth it. “Ok, I know you're angry, and I was going to tell you. I totally was. I just didn't find the right time.” He walks to her, slowly with a pleading look in his eyes.

“Right time? Right time, Pacey? If I'm going to be making such a move, shouldn't I have the 'right time' to start packing? To ask my boss if I can now make the move to the New Orleans office? God, I don't even know if we have an office there!”

Pacey clears his throat. “I tried to tell you. I've only known for about a week. I didn't think it was the right thing to mention on the phone while you were with Dawson. At one stage, I was about to tell you but I froze. I couldn't get the words out.” He pauses, looking at her directly, meeting her gaze. “Besides, you seemed distracted with Dawson. It was timing, Jo. If you were here when I got the call from Danny, I would have told you right then.”

Pacey wishes he could take back that last sentence as he sees Joey's eyes fire up before him.

“What? I'm sorry if I - no. No, “ Joey breaks off, muttering to herself. “No, you know what? I was actually just going to apologize for having a job which allows me to travel to certain cities, some of which are places where friends of mine - friends of ours - live. But that's ridiculous. I have a job which I love, which actually makes use of this thing in here,” she indicates her head, “plus I get to live in a city other than Capeside!”

Pacey looks at her pointedly and says softly, “So maybe I want to get out of Capeside too, Jo.”

Joey looks down. Anywhere, as long as it's away from his gaze. She knows that he has a point.

“So where does this leave us, Pacey? I finally feel like I fit in here. It took a while, but it fits me. I fit it.”

He reaches for her hands, clasped in her lap, intertwining them with his. “Give it a go, Joey. What's one more city? You can work there just as easily as anywhere else. You did it in L.A.” Joey quickly breaks her hands free from his, and throws them up in the air in frustration.

“God, don't you get it? I'm settled here, Pacey! I'm comfortable! I feel like I have my own home. Not my sister's, not a college residence, but a home. Despite you making your best effort to consult with me on this huge decision involving my career and life here in New York, I'm coming into the last act here! You called Gretchen, who you hardly ever speak to, let alone seek advice from, whereas I'm the one that you 'couldn't find the right moment' to tell!”

Pacey has been quiet through her entire speech, just mumbling in between Joey's angry lines that it had been Gretchen who had called him, not the other way around, but Joey doesn't even notice.

He didn't quite expect her reaction to be this extreme but then again Joey could never be seen as predictable. “Jo, I blew it,” he confesses quietly. She snorts, but Pacey continues. “Obviously, somewhere deep down, I knew you were going to react like this, but still I just froze. There was a big weight on my chest stopping me from telling you because I somehow thought that there were magical words that would make everything just…right. Knowing that and knowing I blew it.. it's still a decision in my career that I want to make.”

She looks tired. Drained. He can tell.

“I don't know what to say, Pacey. All I can think of right now is to go lie down.”

She moves towards the bedroom, closing the door softly behind her. Inside, she sits down on the bed and holds her head in her hands. Thoughts running through her mind, emotions churning. She needs to talk. But not to Pacey. Not right now, she is too upset and she knows she can't be rational when she is like this.

She picks up the phone on her bedside table, and dials the first person she thought of.

“Hey.” She smiles weakly and exhales. This is right. This was what she needs.


Same trendy L.A. restaurant

"I had a great time," Samantha says, hugging Hannah and Jake. "Let's do it again sometime." Dawson shakes the couples' hand and echoing Samantha's sentiments.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?"

"It was bearable," Dawson smiles. "They seem to be good for each other."

"They're doomed." Samantha smirks as she sips her water.

"What? Why?"

"You can tell. She just broke up with her boyfriend, who's her best friend. They hadn't dated long. Things got too intense and they broke up. She talks to me about him all the time. Calls him the love of her life, her soul mate."

"So? We don't always end up with our soul mate," Dawson says wryly.

"Aren't we ever the cynic? You're right, we don't. But she never really got a chance with the best friend. Until she does, she'll always wonder. Jake is just her safety net, her safe choice. I almost feel bad for him."

"Almost?"

"Yeah, he's kind of a jerk. Plus, I warned him against getting involved with her and he didn't listen," she laughs.

"His mistake," Dawson chuckles. So, how you'd get so good at all this relationship stuff?"

"Let's just say I've had my own experience with a love triangle. It didn't end well," she sighed, shifting in her seat.

Dawson's eyes widened. "Oh, really? I had no idea. In all my ramblings about my past, you never mentioned it."

"Yeah, well, I don't like to talk about it. I fell in love with a guy who had a best female friend since infancy. We dated for a little bit but she had his heart, his soul," she says dully.

"I can't believe you never told me any of this," Dawson says in amazement. "You should've said something."

"There's nothing to say. I fell hard for a guy who's heart belonged to someone else. My father died when I was 13, my mom worked all the time. Typical tale of a girl looking for love wherever she can get it. I have issues." She lets out a short laugh devoid of any humor. She notices the sad look on Dawson's face and quickly turns away from him.

"Aren't we just the dysfunctional pair?" Dawson jokes, trying to break the sober mood.

"We are, aren't we? Always wanting something just out of our reach," she says a small smile on her face.

"Speak for yourself. I'm not sitting here pining for anyone. That ended long ago."

"Maybe. But I think if someone came back into your life wanting to be with you, you wouldn't be able to resist," she challenges him.

"I disagree -"

"I've seen the way you look at her, Dawson! You may have moved on and accepted things as they are-" Suddenly, Dawson's cell phone rings. Samantha tosses her napkin on the table. "Answer it. We'll finish this conversation later."

"Hello?"

"Hey." It's Joey. Immediately, he can tell she is upset.

"Hey. Is something wrong?"

"How do you do that?" she sighs. "Remember when Pacey called this weekend and I said I thought he was acting a little strange?

"Yeah." Dawson sighs. It was getting more and more difficult to deal with their little disputes.

"Well, it all started when I overheard him telling Gretchen about accepting a job offer in New Orleans--"


Joey's apartment in NY.

Joey is sitting on her bed in her New York apartment. She has turned her back away from the half-open door and although her voice is slightly lowered, her tense body posture and the way her fingers fidget with the seam on her pillow reveal some of her inner turmoil.

“And I mean the job is in New Orleans. I think that they would like him to start soon.” She holds the phone handset tightly and shakes her head in frustration.

“When was he going to tell me Dawson? Well, it's just great finding out that half the world already knows and thinks it's wonderful.”

“It is great for Pacey, but what about me? Oh, no. Apparently I can just drop my job, everything I've worked so hard for here and traipse after him. Is it even a decision he can make without me?”

“We've talked, Dawson. Of course I care. I'm just so mad at him right now.”

“I know.” Joey's shoulders relax slightly. “You think I should try again?”

“I know there are two sides to every story, Dawson. It's just that I wish he was honest with me and that I knew about this earlier.”

“That's true. I am tired and we haven't seen each other for a few days.” Joey gives a half smile. “You're right. And I haven't been that patient with Pacey in the last half hour.”

Pacey´s shadow appears in the doorway and he pushes the door the rest of the way open. He looks for a moment at Joey. His eyes are troubled and a little red. He opens his mouth to say something when he realizes she is talking on the phone.

“It's just hard sometimes,” Joey continues. “We both get fired up and argue. Usually over little things but well this one was bigger than usual.” Joey sighs and then gives a slow smile.

“You know me too well. Well, I'm just sorry that I interrupted your dinner. Let Samantha know that. Hopefully she'll understand a little Sammy and Petey melodrama.”

Joey laughs softly. “Thanks, Dawson. Thank you for always knowing what to say. I will talk to him.”

Pacey´s hands clench slightly at the mention of Dawson's name. His eyes are tired and he seems resigned as he begins to turn away from the door.

In one graceful move Joey stands up from her seat on the bed. “And I mean how can I move now? You're coming here to live. Why would we want to leave?”

Her voice trails away as she turns and faces the doorway. Joey's eyes meet and hold Pacey´s and then she lowers them at the mixture of surprise, anger and disappointment evident in his face.


Back to the L.A. restaurant

"What was that all about?" Samantha asks as Dawson puts his phone away. "Wait! Let me guess. Joey. I could tell. So, what's going on with your favourite New Yorker?"

Dawson sighs. "It seems that Pacey got a job off which would require him to move to New Orleans. According to Joey, he's practically accepted the job without talking to her."

"Ouch. And she doesn't want to move?"

Dawson shakes his head. "I heard his voice and then she ended the call pretty abruptly. They have a lot to talk about."

"Without you. It's best if you just stay as far away as you can from all the drama. They always try to stick you in the middle and you so don't deserve that."

"I know. They're both my friends and I don't like to see them hurting. And I am her best friend…" He trailed off, running his fingers through his short hair.

"I get that, Dawson. I know how much you care about Joey. But when Pacey is involved, I think you need to care at a distance," she gently chided.

"You're right. I know you're right. Old habits die hard, I guess," he chuckles, toying with his wineglass.

"Take the advice of someone's who's been there," she smiles at him. "What's meant to be is meant to be. Remember that."

"I will. Now, how about we blow this joint and get some coffee?"

"That's the best idea I've heard all day. I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway," she laughs.

He throws some bills on the table before grabbing his coat off the back of his chair. "Last one there has to buy the cookies."

"In that case --" she laughs as she pushes past him and out the door.


Joey's bedroom, NY

Joey is sitting on the bed, the phone silent beside her and a defiant look on her face. Pacey is still standing just inside the doorway, his face as dark as a storm cloud during a summer hurricane. Neither of them is saying a word

“So it's not alright for me to talk to Gretchen, my own sister, but you're allowed to share all out secrets with Dawson?” Pacey finally asks. Joey doesn't say anything. “Why can you talk to him about it but not to me?” Still no answer. “I forget, you two are soul mates.” The sarcastic tone in his voice is not lost on Joey.

“How dare you throw my friendship with Dawson in my face!” Joey explodes, leaping up off of the bed. “You know how important he is to me, how important our friendship is!”

“Yes, I know! Most of the time, it seems to be more important than our relationship!”

“That's not true, it's just – “

“I don't get it, Jo,” Pacey cuts her off mid explanation. “You followed me one summer, why can't you do it again?”

“Because I was hardly 17 then! I didn't have any idea what the real world was like! We're adults now Pacey. Adults with lives and responsibilities.” The look on her face can only be described as stormy. “Even if you don't act like one.”

Joey looks at Pacey and realizes she's gone too far. He moves to leave the room, not willing to continue this conversation in this manner. Joey stops and sighs. This is getting them nowhere. Dawson's words play through her head again, and she decides to take his advice. “Pacey, wait. Can we start again? Sit down and talk about this calmly?”

Pacey turns, surprised by her change of heart. Joey is usually the last one to want to talk calmly about anything. Doug warned him that keeping things from her was a bad idea, and now he’s realizing just how bad. But they need to resolve this; he needs to tell her what’s going on. He loves this woman, fiery temper and all; and ultimately his desire to make this work needs to outweigh any anger he has right now.

“Like adults?” he asks, a grin beginning to play on the corners of his mouth. Joey gives him a look and he realizes she’s still a little mad to be making that joke. “OK, why don’t we just talk then.”

(“Dear lie” by TLC starts playing in the background)

Joey eyes him for a moment. “You first,” she decrees.

Dear lie
You suck
You said you could fix anything
Instead
You made things even worse for me


Pacey watches her for a moment then begins. “Maddie came to see me the other day,” Pacey watches as Joey stiffens at the name. “It seems her husband wasn’t satisfied with beating me up, he now wants to ruin my life.”

“What do you mean?”

I let you unnerve me
I let you control me
Afraid the truth would hurt me
When it's you that hurts me more


“Y’know, all the problems I’ve been having with staff and permits and things like that?” Joey nods, “It seems that they aren’t quite as random as I had hoped. Apparently, Maddie’s husband wasn’t content with just messing with my face. He’s messing with my life now as well. He’s using his friends in Capeside, of which he apparently has many, to basically ruin me.”

Joey’s expression takes a 180 degree turn, “Oh god, Pacey,” her tone is soft and sympathetic now, with a hint of apology underneath. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Get outta my mouth
Get outta my head
Get outta my mind
Stop puttin' words in my head


“Because I was embarrassed, Jo. What happened with Maddie isn’t something I’m exactly proud of, but it was my own fault. And so is what is happening now.” Pacey dips his head, not wanting to look at Joey. The sympathetic expression on her face changes to one he can’t read. Neither of them says anything for a long moment.

“If you knew she was married,” Joey finally asks, “and you knew that there would be major consequences if you were involved with her, why did you do it in the first place?”

Pacey lifts his head and tries to read her expression. She’s trying hard to keep a blank face, but he can see the hint of sadness and anger that she tries so well to hide. He takes a few minutes to think about the best way to answer her question, and in the end he tells her the only thing he can truthfully say. “I don’t know, Joey.”

Get outta my mouth
You're nothing but trouble
Get outta my life
Get out of me
Out of me (out of me)
Out of me
Out of me lie
Lie lie lie lie


Joey nods slightly and turns to walk a few steps across the room. Pacey watches her in silence, knowing he has hurt her, but not knowing how to change what has happened. Finally, Joey turns back to him.

“Then you have to stay in Capeside. Stay at the Icehouse and fight this out,” her voice betrays her blank expression. She sounds upset. “You have to face the consequences of your actions, Pacey. Find a way to get this man to leave you alone, whatever that may be. That would be the action of a grown up.”

They face off from their opposing sides of the room for a moment, Joey waiting expectantly for Pacey´s answer. “You’re right. I’ll call Danny tomorrow and tell him I can’t come to New Orleans.”

Dear lie
You're dumb
You think you've got the best of me
You think you won
Misread my vulnerability
I've got your balls


Joey smiles and comes over to kiss him, “Good. I’m glad.”

“Me too,” Pacey tells her as they stand there hugging for a few minutes, neither of them able to see the concerned and confused looks the other has on their face. Joey knows she’s only pretending to be this happy about Pacey´s decision, but that truthfully everything is definitely not ok with them. But tonight is not the time for that.

Pacey stand quietly enjoying the feeling of Joey in his arms. He knows he screwed up big time tonight, and that even thought they’ve ‘made up’ all is not well between them. He pulls back from the hug, determined to put the thoughts aside. “I’m glad you’re home, Joey. I really missed you while you were gone.”

Joey tries to smile at him, “I missed you too, Pace.” The words are soft and flat.

Now get the hell away from me
I've learned your art
Won't let you unnerve me
Won't let you control me


There is another awkward moment between them before Pacey takes her hand and suggests they go eat dinner. As they make their way to the kitchen Joey plays her words over in her head. She told him she missed him, but it was only a reflex response to his own declaration. Truthfully, she’s not even sure if she did miss him all that much. The only time she remembers having a desire to call him was on her first day there, but a fter that all she can remember was how much fun she and Dawson were having and how great it was to be in LA with him.

The truth will only free me
And your lies won't hurt no
No more


Embarrassed and guilty, she can’t remember missing Pacey at all.

Montage of various scenes.

Long after night has fallen on Capeside, Grams is wandering the darkened halls of her home, restless. A glass of milk is in her hand. These days, she finds herself able to sleep less and less at night: a phenomenon, which had been a wonderful advantage when Amy was a little baby. Many a night she had spent up with the baby while Jen slept, the beginnings of her illness making her exhausted all the time.

Tonight though, Amy is silent as she is most nights now. Grams pauses for a minute outside the door to Jack's room. She looks inside to see Jack asleep, flat on his back. On his chest, her little head curled up on the place where his heart beats is Amy. Her little hand is curled around his bicep and Jack has one hand nestled in the blond curls on her head.

Grams watches them for a moment, illuminated in the moonlight that is shining through Jack's window. Then she smiles to herself and continues her way down the hallway to her own room.

On the other coast, in another darkened home, Dawson shuffles slowly into his bedroom. He tosses his jacket over a chair, empties his pants pockets onto the dresser before stripping down to his t-shirt and underwear and finally climbing into bed.

He lays there, staring at the ceiling, sleep beyond him. The events of the evening still plague him, making it hard to wind down. He hates getting involved in these fights between Joey and Pacey, and yet every time it happens he allows himself to be dragged right back in. All it takes is the sound of Joey's voice on the phone.

('If I Was The One' by Ruff Endz begins to play)

I see the way he treats you
I feel the tears you cry
And it makes me sad
And it makes me mad
There's nothing I can do baby


He much prefers when Joey is here in person and her fights with Pacey are thousands of miles away.

'Cause your lover is my best friend
And I guess that's where the story ends
So I've gotta try to keep it inside
You will never be, never be mine


Dawson turns his head to the side and glances at the empty side of the bed, willing his friend to appear before him, a bowl of popcorn balanced precariously on her lap as she argues the merits of some movie with him but she doesn't. Sighing, he glances back up at he ceiling, hoping for sleep to come and take him.

If I was the one who was loving you
The only tears you'd cry would be tears of joy


In New York, also far from sleep, another pair of eyes focus on another blank ceiling. Joey glances quickly across at Pacey´s still form, sleeping beside her, snoring softly. Turning back to the blank ceiling, she can't sleep, not after what happened tonight. The turmoil inside her head and her heart is too much to allow her to relax. What she needs right now is a friend, someone she can talk to and take comfort in.

And if I was by your side
You'd never know one lonely night


Joey takes another quick look at Pacey, trying to make herself turn to him and take comfort in him but she can't. Something is wrong. Usually she feels alive laying here beside him. But tonight all she feels is alone.

And if I was my arms you were running to
I'd give you love in these arms of mine
If I was the one in your life


She turns back up to stare at the ceiling.

CREDITS