Login     Help

Butterflies by Adrienne

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Pacey's breath caught in his throat and his heart stopped cold for a brief minute. The world around him slowed and all of his senses were acutely aware of Joey's warm body pressed up against his. Had she really said what he thought she said? Joey Potter wants him to kiss her! His sweet, perfect, ever innocent Joey Potter wants to kiss the ever wise-ass town outcast Pacey Witter?

"Pacey." Joey breathed turning sideways so she was sitting his lap, effectively breaking Pacey from his trance-like state of disbelief. Her mouth now inches from his, her hair sparkling in the moonlight and slightly tousled from the breeze. Never had she looked more beautiful to him. 'Kiss her Witter!' his brain screamed but he was frozen by fear of rejection. What if he heard wrong? What is she doesn't like the kiss? Pacey looked up helplessly into her eyes as if begging her to do something, anything to save him. Joey rolled her eyes, wrapped her arms around the back of Pacey's head, and him to her. A tingle flooded throughout all of Pacey's body heightening his senses. His heart raced and in an instant his arms were around Joey pulling her closer. Their kiss grew more passionate by the minute until neither could breathe and they reluctantly parted, foreheads resting together. Pacey felt as if a weight had been lifted form his shoulders.

Smiling, he opened his eyes and looked into Joey's. She was grinning back at him. "Wow." Pacey finally mumbled.

Joey giggled slightly, "Yeah. How come we never did that before?"

"Good question Potter. Good question..." he said trailing off as he leaned in and gave her a shorter, sweeter kiss, smiling against her lips. Pacey felt her smile back and his heart skipped a beat. 'She kissed you back Witter!' his mind yelled with mirrored ecstatic joy dancing in his eyes. "Come on Potter," he said rising with his arms still around her, bringing her up with him. "Let's go for that swim." Joey smiled and let Pacey lead her to the water's edge without any complaint. Joey took off her shorts and Pacey's shirt, lying the on the dry beach, and joined Pacey when he was standing ankle deep. As the water touched her, Joey inhaled quickly in surprise at how cold it was.

"Pacey," she whined looking into his eyes.

"Don't be a baby Jo. You promised you'd swim with me. If you get in I'll give you a little lovin' later," he said waggling his eyebrows. Joey smiled and rolled her eyes, holding up her hand for Pacey to take. He gladly accepted and slowly led her deeper. Suddenly, Pacey ducked under the water and released Joey's hand.

"Pacey?" Joey said shyly turning in circle trying to locate him. Without warning Pacey grabbed her waist and pulled her under. "PACEY!" Joey screamed playing slapping his shoulder when they came up for air. He just laughed at her. "You think this is funny Witter?!" she said smiling as she closed the distance between them.

"You're so cute when you're wet Jo." Joey splashed him with a rather large wave in reply which sparkled with hundreds on tiny flashes.

"What was that?" Joey asked implying the sparkles in the water.

"I believe it was phosphorus." Pacey said matter-of-factly.

"Pacey." Joey smiled. "I'm impressed! Have you been paying attention in Chemistry?"

"Only when you're talking," he smiled back.

"It's so pretty Pacey." Joey said splashing the water again and watching the florescent sparks illuminate the water.

"Yeah, but not as pretty as you Joey." Pacey said seriously.

"Pacey Witter. You are the sweetest, most romantic guy I have ever know," she said kissing him. Pacey grinned goofily back at her afterwards which resulted in her splashing him directly in the face with an incandescent wave.

"Oh, you're gonna get it Potter!" he said splashing her back.

"Pacey!" she squealed in delight as she splashed him back.

"Oh, this is war!" he said tackling her and knocking both of them underwater.

"Pacey," she smiled as they resurfaced. "Can't we all just get along?" she said giving him an innocent look.

"Yeah right. The second I turn around you'll have the upper hand. My only choice left is to use the submission move," he smiled wickedly.

"The what Pacey?" Joey said, backing up as he got closer.

"The submission move. You know, render you useless. Take you out of the match in one swift move," he said nearing her.

"And this 'move', it consists of doing what exactly?" asked warily, still backing up. Pacey smiled devilishly and rose his fingers out of the water wiggling them.

"Noooo Pacey..." She backed up even further. "Anything but that! You know how ticklish I am!"

"But that's the whole idea," he smiled taking a step closer. Joey turned and tried to run, which proved impossible in the waist-deep water. "Caught you my pretty," he said in a mock wicked witch of the West voice.

"Pacey. No! No! Stop!" she yelled between fits of laughter as he caught her and began to relentlessly tickle her. Joey stopped tying to fight realizing it was impossible to escape and surrendered to her laughter. "All right, all right. I give up Pacey!" she laughed.

"I knew you couldn't resist me Potter," he spoke into her ear, and her laughing subsided. His arms remained around her waist and he lowered himself in the water, positioning Joey on his knee.

"You just sooo irresistible too," she said jokingly.

"God, you look beautiful Jo," he said seriously looking at her wet, tousled hair and pure face glimmering in the moonlight.

"You've always been a lady charmer Pace," she smiled leaning in and giving him a lingering kiss.

"What there some kind of rule against counselor fraternization." Pacey said as they parted.

"Screw it," she said leaning back in for more.

"My kind of woman." He smiled as her lips reached his again.

"Pacey. I'm cold, can we go dry off?" she said looking pleadingly into his eyes after they parted.

"You want me to warm you up?" he smiled suggestively.

"I was thinking more of getting out of this water before they have to amputate my toes due to severe hypothermia." Joey said shivering.

"I can arrange that." He said scooping her up in his arms and carrying her to shore.

"Pacey put me down," she mock scolded, "I can walk just fine on my own."

"Where's the fun in that Jo?" he said sadly as he put her down. They walked over to their pile of clothes. Joey opted not to put her shorts on since she was dripping wet, but she did put on Pacey button-down shirt. "Are you ready to head back?"

"Yeah, let's go get our shoes," she said sticking out her hand which Pacey took. They strolled along the water's edge kicking the waves. This produced a multitude of phosphorescent flashes with every splash. It felt so magical. Here they were, walking in the moonlight on the beach with sparkling water. Pacey felt like he was in heaven. He finally had the girl of his dreams.

The pair walked back down the beach, hand in hand, in silence enjoying the serenity of the moment. They reached their shoes, put them back on, and followed the trail leading from the beach back to camp. As they entered their barrack, Pacey walked Joey half way up the stairs and gave her a good night kiss.

"Pacey, I'm really tired, but we'll talk about this tomorrow." Joey said as they parted.

"Talk about what?" Pacey said innocently.

"This," Joey whispered leaning in for another more passionate kiss before turning and walking up the stairs leaving an awestruck Pacey behind.