Login     Help

Butterflies by Adrienne

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Wednesday Camp Campbell Schedule
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8:00am- load busses
8:30am- leave for CMS
10:30am- arrive at nearby Fort Watters for lunch
11:00am- Explore bunkers at Fort Watters
11:30am- Leave for Fort Campbell
12:00pm- Arrive and unpack into barracks
12:30pm- Group Time
1:00pm- Annual girls against boys capture the flag game
3:00pm- Visit to Fort Campbell bunkers
5:00pm- Free Time
6:00pm- Dinner
7:00pm- Campfire
10:00pm- Lights out for campers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6:50- Wednesday morning

Joey Potter frantically paced back and forth across her living room floor, her stuff piled tediously in the corner of the room. "Where is he?!" she said out loud in a fluster to herself. "We're supposed to be there in 10 minutes!" As if on cue a knock came from the door. "Pacey! You're late!" She said exasperatedly.

"Sorry," he gave a quick smile and went to pick up her bags. She looked at him strangely. "Well, don't just stand there Jo. We need to get a move on it!" he said wobbling out the door with an armload of her stuff. He tossed her things in the back and got into the truck which Joey had already entered and drove them to Capeside Middle School in record time. They left their bags in the truck and headed into the school with their counselor packets in hand. "So Jo, what classroom are you headed to?" Pacey inquired.

"Um...Room 6," she said after looking through her packet to find it.

"Well, well. You just can't seem to shake me Potter." Pacey smiled.

"You're just so irresistible Pacey. I don't know how you keep the ladies away," she smiled as they entered the classroom. Two other students were in opposite corners of the room talking to their groups.

"Ah. Joey Potter and Pacey Witter I presume." A thirty-something man came to shake their hands. "I'm Mr. Williams."

"Nice to meet you." Joey smiled as she shook his hand.

"Your groups are waiting for you over there," he said, pointing to the other side of the room. "We're just taking a little time to get to know each other. At about 8 I'll call your groups to pack up your things."

"Thank you Mr. Williams." Pacey smiled as they walked off to greet their groups.

"Hi." Joey said sitting down on the floor where her girls were sitting in a circle. "My name is Joey. I'm you counselor."

"Hi Joey. I'm Angela. This is Carrie, Lexi, Brook, Jen, Sarah, and Steph," she said pointing around the circle.

"Hi girls," she said waving around the circle. "So, are you guys all in the same class?"

"No," Brook answered, "but we've all been best friends since 4th grade. I'm glad you're so nice Joey. That other girl over there is really pushy," she said pointing to the other side of the room. Joey noticed Andie pinning name tags on all of her campers while they sat in a straight line.

"Who Andie? She's harmless." Joey smiled. "But I'm glad that you all like me." They all smiled in response to Joey's kindness.

Joey continued to talk and get to know her girls until Mr. Williams told them it was time to pack the busses. Joey helped her girls load their things, then they went back to the classrooms while the counselors loaded their gear into a rented U-Haul truck. When the counselors returned to the classrooms, the teachers handed out bus assignments. "Okay ladies. We are on the second bus. Grab you lunches and backpacks and we'll go." Joey told her troop. They all immediately listened having easily gained her respect.

"Jo. Hey Joey!" Pacey said jogging up to walk next to her, his boys following. "What bus are you on?" he asked.

"Number two, you?" She replied.

"Same," he smiled as his boys ran ahead to pile on the bus.

"So I'm stuck on a two-hour bus ride with you and those monsters?" She said pointing at his boys who were shoving to get on the bus.

"Hey! Boys! Don't shove!" Pacey said, giving Joey and apologetic smile as he jogged ahead to control his group. Two other groups had already gotten on the bus before hers and Pacey's so it was pretty full. Joey stood in the aisle as she directed her girls to spare seats until they were all comfortably seated, then looked around for an empty seat for herself. Her search stopped at the only empty seat which was already inhabited by Pacey who had his eyes closed and head leaning against the back of the seat. Joey smiled to herself as she went to sit down. Pacey, feeling movement next to him, opened his eyes and rolled his head to the side. "Oh hey Jo," he said smiling.

"What? No aren't dogs not allowed on the bus crack?" Joey smiled.

"Nah, it's too early in the morning for that." Pacey said yawning.

"I hear ya Pacey," she said leaning back against the seat and fluttering her eyelids. She was starting to drift of when she heard a loud rumbling and felt a jolt. The busses had started moving. "Hey Pace?" she whispered. "Pacey?" She asked again when he didn't respond. She then noticed his rhythmic breathing and realized he had fallen asleep. She too decided it was going to be a long ride and a nap sounded nice. Leaning back against the seat she drifted off.

Pacey awoke suddenly as the bus went over a large bump in the road. "Mmmm." He mumbled opening his eyes. They bus went over another large bump and he felt something hard hit him. "Ow," he said turning until he realized that mass now resting against his shoulder was Joey. He stopped talking and smiled at her sleeping peacefully. He watched her for a couple minutes until he carefully checked his watch as not to disturb Joey. ::10:00:: Pacey yawned and laid his head back against the seat. Enjoying the contact with Joey until he peacefully drifted off to sleep again.

The next time he woke up it was because Joey was next to him calling his name. "Pacey! Pacey wake up!" she said shaking him. "We're here. Wake up Pace!"

"Mmmmm...Joey?" He mumbled sitting up. "Where are we?"

"Where just parking at Fort Watters. Get up and grab you lunch. It's time to gather the troops and go eat," Joey said. Pacey grumbled and sat up.

"Everybody off the bus!" Mr. Williams called. The kids ran off the bus and to the picnic tables. Joey and Pacey had to catch up to their groups quickly. The counselors ate with their kids who quickly finished, eager to explore the bunkers. When everyone was done eating, Mr. Williams and Ms. Michaels led the brief walk to the bunkers. "Attention everyone!" Mr. Williams boomed. "In half an hour we will call you out of the bunkers. At that time counselors you are to count your campers and escort them back to the busses. Be careful in the bunkers. There is to be no running since some of the hallways are very dark including one favorite passageway for students which is pitch black for about 100 feet. If you go in that hallway, it's right through the doorway over there, and exits through that doorway over there," he explained, pointing to the bunkers. "Remember to be careful. Now go have some fun." He said, as the kids went off screaming into the bunkers, most heading to the dark tunnel.

"Joey?" Sarah asked. "Will you walk with us through the tunnel?" The other girls nodded in agreement.

"Sure." She smiled. "Stay close. I might get scared," she said, as Lexi and Carrie took her hands upon entering. Then tunnel was filled with screams and laughter. 'I hope I just don't get knocked down by some hormone driven sixth grader,' she sighed to herself. They pushed their way through the crowd at the doorway and we soon emersed in complete darkness. Since the hallway curved, no light from the other end could be seen. Just the a group of loudly yelling boys ran by screaming causing her girls to scream and go in opposite directions. Somehow in the confusion, Joey lost hold of Lexi and Carrie. "Girls?" she called suddenly quite aware she couldn't see and didn't know which direction she was facing. Uncertainly, Joey began walking forward. Screaming sixth graders bumped by her at all angles. Her breathing began to quicken and her palms began to sweat. "Girls?" she quietly called to herself. She began to walk at a quickened pace with her hands out in front hoping she wouldn't hit a wall. Suddenly, she came in contact with something tall and soft. "Umph!" she said as she hit.

"Ow," came a voice from the other side.

"Pacey?" She asked questioningly recognizing his voice.

"Joey?" he replied.

"I'm so glad it's you," she said feeling for his arm. When she found it she slid her hand down until it was resting in his. Pacey smiled as she did this and gave her hand a little squeeze. He noticed she was shaking.

"Jo, you're not afraid of the dark are you?" He teased playfully.

"No, maybe, yes, horribly Pacey. Don't go anywhere," she said. Her voice wavering as she tightened her grip on his hand.

"Come on Jo. Let's get you out of here." He smiled and he pulled her back from where he came. Joey reached across he chest to hold his upper arm with her free hand getting as close as she possibly could to ease her fear. "Look Jo," he said. "There's the light." He said, reaching across with his free hand and rubbing her hand on his arm reassuringly. Joey smiled at the contact appreciating Pacey's comfort.

"Thanks Pace," she said as they exited the hallway. "I'm glad I found you." She smiled releasing his arm, but still holding on to his hand and shaking a bit.

"So, you want to go back through Jo? It's a trip in their." Pacey smiled, enjoying the prolonged contact of her hand.

"I think I'll sit this one out," she said wrinkling her nose as she released his hand and went to sit on a nearby bench.

"Um, so you want some company?" He asked.

"Why not?" She said, shrugging her shoulders. Pacey walked over to Joey and sat down so their shoulders were lightly touching.

They sat in silence watching the kids and counselors exit and re-enter the hallway. By her count, Joey had seen Dawson go through four times with Jen in toe. She turned her attention to her girls who were exiting the hallway laughing and immediately heading back in for more. "Pacey?" She asked.

"Yeah Jo?" He said, turning to face her.

"Let's go through again." She said smiling and standing up.

"Okay." He smiled back and they walked to the entrance.

"Joey." Pacey said offering his hand.

"Thanks Pace." She smiled as she accepted it and stepped into the darkness.