Login     Help

Butterflies by Adrienne

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was about 6pm the Tuesday night before camp. Joey had just finished eating dinner and was now in her room packing a duffel bag to take with her tomorrow. She had the check-list given to her by Principal Green laying out next to the open bag. 'A pair of shorts, check. A pair of jeans, check.'

She had finally gotten all of her clothes packed, plus a little extra, just in case. Currently she was debating whether or not to bring her bathing suit. After a few minutes of contemplation, she threw it into the bag and headed off toward the bathroom to gather things there. A few minutes later she emerged with an overflowing arm full of items. She quickly dropped the pile into the bag and shoved everything down so she could zip it. After completing her task, Joey lugged the heavy bag over to a corner of her room where she had already retrieved a sleeping bag and pillow.

"Joey! Pacey's here to drive you to the meeting!" Bessie called.

"I'm coming!" she yelled back as she dropped the bag on top of the pile. Grabbing a sweater off her bed, Joey turned off her bedroom light and left.

"Joey." He smiled. "You all packed yet?"

"Yep, just finished. Have you packed?" she asked as they left the Potter B&B.

"Yep," he smiled opening her door for her, then walking to the other side of the truck and getting in.

The drive to the school was quick and effortless, and shortly after they were entering the library. They noticed Jack, Jen, Andie, and Dawson and went to join them.

"Hi guys!" Andie smiled. "Jen and I were just talking about how much fun it will be that we're on the same floor!" Jen gave them a half smile as Andie talked.

"Weren't we supposed to get those last time?" Joey asked.

"Oh, yeah, but Principal Green forgot so he posted them up front but don't bother looking because I already looked for everyone." Andie said. Before anyone else could talk she started again. "Jen and I are on the top floor on the girls only barrack. Dawson is on the bottom floor of the boys only barrack. Jack is on the top floor of the boys only barrack. Pacey is on the bottom floor of the co-ed barrack. And you Joey are on the top floor of the co-ed barrack." Andie finally finished.

"Hey Potter. Maybe we can bunk together," Pacey leered. Joey started to say something but Andie interrupted.

"Oh no Pacey, it's not like that." Andie said. "Girls on top, boys on bottom. Guys aren't allowed upstairs."

"That's nice Andie." Joey said smiling sweetly at her.

"Students," boomed Principal Green's voice, "I am glad you've all made it. Basically this is just a quick session to make sure you are all prepared and to go over a few basic counselor rules. Now, before I start, are there any questions? No, good. First rule, you must be with you campers at all times except for you break in the evening. If one needs to leave for some reason, send them with a buddy. Whenever you arrive at a destination make sure to count your campers. Second, any problem you can't handle or that is too serious must be immediately brought to one of the teachers. Third, bring a watch. I can't stress this enough. You must be on always be on time. Number four, during counselor free time, the boundaries are as follows: to the South, the play field; to the East, the beach; to the North, the bunkers; and to the South, the service road. The local ranger will be patrolling the area so do stay in the boundaries. And you must be back in your barracks by 1am at the latest," he continued. " Now, most importantly, I suggest you bring a bribe with you. I know this sounds strange and unorthodox, but these are sixth graders and with a group this size not everyone is going to want to participate. I suggest bringing candy of some sort or having some special activity that your group can do during free time. Well, that about wraps it up. I expect all of you to be at Capeside Middle School by 7am tomorrow. There are room numbers of teachers you are to report to in your packets I handed out last time as well as daily schedule. I hope that you all enjoy this experience and remember, just because you are excused from school, you are not excused from homework. If you have any further questions please come up and see me, other than that, see you next Monday." With that, the students slowly started to disperse including Jack, Jen, Dawson, and Andie.

"I thought he was never going to stop talking!" Joey sighed as she sat up and stretched. Pacey smiled at Joey.

"So, you up for a trip to the store. I need to stock up on some good bribes," he said.

Joey nodded in acceptance. "I can't believe he told us to bribe them!" she said incredulously.

"It's the American way." Pacey said smiling as they left.