Login     Help

Butterflies by Adrienne

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Notes

Comments are very welcome. This is my first fanfic ever so be nice and help me out! A special thanks to Evie and everyone else who beta read for me!
Joey Potter sleepily sunk back in her chair. It was an early Monday morning and her English teacher's lecture over grammar rules she learned in sixth grade wasn't helping. "Josephine? Josephine Potter?" The teacher called to her. "Josephine!" she said a bit more harshly.

"W...What?" she said, sitting up quickly.

"Josephine," the teacher sighed, "you are wanted in the library. Take your books with you." She extended a pink slip toward Joey. Joey hurriedly grabbed her books and walked up to the front of the room to get the note. 'Anything to get out of here,' she thought while smiling at the teacher and taking the slip.

After making her exit, Joey glanced down at the note. Sure enough it instructed her to go to the library, but strangely it was signed by Principal Green.

Joey began running through reasons in her head why Principal Green would want to talk to her until her thoughts were broken by a loud and slightly obnoxious voice. "Joey! Skipping class again? I'm going to have to get our boy Dawson here to keep a tighter leash on you."

"Bite me Pacey." Joey retorted before even turning around. She slowed her pace and turned smiling at Dawson. "Hi," she said.

"Hey Jo," Dawson replied.

Before she could argue some more with Pacey he began to talk. "So Jo, what are you really doing out here?"

"Heading to the library." She said holding up her pink slip. Dawson and Pacey smiled holding theirs up for her to see. "You too?" she asked wrinkling her nose. "So any idea why we're being summoned?"

"Not a clue," Dawson said.

"I..." Pacey started but was interrupted by an annoyingly over perky voice.

"Hey wait up!" The trio stopped to see Andie McPhee running down an adjacent hallway toward them. "So where are you guys going?" Andie smiled hopefully at Pacey as she caught up.

"To the library," Joey quickly answered.

"Oh, me too. And Jack and Jen, but they left class before me so they're already in the library." Andie said.

"Principal Green is sure calling a lot of students out of class." Dawson said, pointing toward the library door where a few more students were entering.

"Out fate awaits us," Pacey said dramatically as he opened the door. "Ladies first," he smiled at Joey who gave him a "you're an idiot Pacey" look in return.

They entered and looked around. About 20 or so other students had congregated at the tables. "Hey Dawson, Joey." Jen called, "Over here guys."

They turned to see Jack and Jen at an empty table. As they sat down, Principal Green entered with an armload of papers. "Well, I'm glad to see that everyone made it," he said effectively quieting down the students. "First let me thank you all for showing up," he said getting a few smiles out of the crowd. "I called you all here because I need some volunteers."

"Yea," Pacey mumbled feigning excitement.

"Capeside Middle School is taking their sixth grade class on a special extended field trip. They are calling it outdoor education. A three day trip to nearby Fort Campbell in two weeks. The students stay in barracks and get a chance to experience some new activities. To do this though, they need high school volunteers to be counselors for groups of 6-9 campers. Now, I picked you because I know some of you would like this opportunity for scholarship notebook," he said looking at Joey and Andie. "Others might like to use this opportunity to get on my good side," he said pointedly, looking at Pacey.

"If you are not interested, you may go back to class and I will call backups I already have lined up. For those of you who are interested, please stay and come up front to review an information packet. I'll give you about five minutes to decide. Then for the rest of you we will continue."

"Wow, that sound like a great experience!" Andie said rushing up to get a packet.

"You know, I think I'm in too." Dawson said getting up.

"Me too," Jen smiled following him.

"And me," Jack said following Jen.

"I'm outta here," Joey said as she started to sit up.

"Hold it there Potter." Pacey said putting a hand on her arm to stop her. "You can't make all of us do this without you."

"Why should I Pacey?" she said pointedly.

"Come on Jo. Everyone is doing it!" he said smiling.

"So if everyone was.."

"Come on Jo," he said forcefully cutting her off and dragging her to the front of the room complaining the whole way.

"But Pacey I..."

"Ms. Potter I am so happy you decided to help out."

"You know me Principal Green, always the first to jump in and lend a hand," she said plastering a fake smile while viscously elbowing Pacey.

"And Pacey Witter. Glad to see also took up my proposal."

"I'm right there with Joey. Capeside spirit all the way," he smiled grabbing a packet. They left and walked back toward their table.

"The way I see it Jo," he said slinging an arm around her shoulder, "we get to spend some quality time together."

"Lucky me," she said shrugging his arm off and sitting back down.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Andie said enthusiastically.

"I can't wait." Joey replied dryly.

"Well, I'm glad all of you decided to stay." Principal Green said looking around and noticing that nobody had opted to leave. "Since you all are so eager to help your community, let's get to it. I am now handing out your barrack assignments. There are two floors on each barrack. There are two girl barracks, two boy barracks, and one co-ed, girls on top, boy's on bottom." Principal Green said handing out the packets.

"There will be an accompanying sixth grade teacher staying on each floor as a resident advisor of sorts. You will report to them any problems. You are all excused from school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in two weeks. We will me at Capeside Middle School at 7am that Wednesday. Then you will be introduced to your campers. From there, we will ride by bus to the Fort. A daily schedule is included in your packets, as is a name list of your campers and a list of items you are recommended to bring. In the evenings after your campers' bedtime, you will be alleviated by the teachers for a few hours of free time which goes until no later than 1am. I also recommend that you bring a watch as it is hard to keep on schedule without one. Now, I'll give you a few minutes to look over the packets. If you have any questions please come up and ask me. If you are satisfied, you may go back to class but we will have a brief counselor training meeting here at 7pm the Tuesday before we leave." A few students immediately rose to go up to the front of the room and ask questions.

"Well, we're in for a treat." Pacey smiled as he rose. Just then the bell rang signaling the end of the school day. "Offer anyone a ride home?" Pacey said.

"Sure Pace," Joey said.

"Going once, going twice, sold to the lovely Miss Potter." Pacey said extending his arm. "Shall we?" Joey took his arm sighing as they walked off.

"Wow! I better get home and start planning activities for my group!" Andie said rising and skittering off.

"Can I drive you and Jack home?" Dawson offered.

"That would be nice Dawson," Jen said. "Jack?"

"I have some research to do in the library but I'll be home soon. You go Jen."

"Okay, bye Jack!" she said smiling, as she and Dawson left.