Login     Help

Ready to Fall by Abbey L

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Notes

This is my first fic so go easy on me. Feedback!
Pacey Witter drove along Route 103, pressuring the accelerator as much as he could without being pulled over by Dougie, his father, or another one of Capeside's finest. A million thoughts were running through his head at the moment, but one seemed to stand out boldly. Why, exactly, had Joey Potter called him at one o'clock at night from Boston for him to pick her up? She could've called Dawson, Jen, Jack, Bessie, or Bodie. It was true that they'd become close friends since the end of the summer.. but it still was weird for her to pick him over all of them. Did it mean she felt closest to him? As a friend? That was the part that agonized Pacey the most.

I get a feeling, I can't explain
Whenever your eyes meet mine

He knew that his feelings for Joey ran much deeper than friendship. But they were finally best friends, and he knew that if he let his feelings show, he might risk what they had. Ever since Dawson rejected Joey when he got home from Philadelphia, Pacey had become Joey's confidante. But, he slowly had let those tightly-bottled-up-for-years feelings for her to come rushing back. He didn't know what would happen - because he was pretty sure she didn't return the feeling. Exactly why he was going to pick her up from a date with her college boyfriend. But he knew he would suffer much more if he didn't just try and see if there was anything on the receiving end of his feelings. Who knows, he thought, I might just be surprised.

My heart spins in circles
And I lose all space in time

"Pacey!" Joey waved, getting up from a lonely bench near the end of the train station. He jogged over to where she stood.

"You okay?" His eyes searched hers, waiting for the reason she'd called up frantically in the middle of the night.

"I don't want to talk about it," she said, her statement souring. She walked over to the car and jumped in as Pacey followed.

Twenty minutes later, the two were still far away from Capeside. Sitting in a cheap looking diner they'd passed on the way, Pacey tried again. "Joey.. you want to talk about it? What happened?" he asked, paying the bill.

She rose from the booth they were sharing. "Pacey- you were right. There was another girl. I don't know what to think. I'm starting to believe that I'm meant to be alone in this world. I mean, I'm already sixteen and how many friends do I have in this world? Jen, Dawson, Jack, and you. That's four friends.. pretty sad, huh?"

Pacey walked right alongside her out of the diner. When they reached the parking lot, he stopped and turned to look at her. "Joey. You are an incredible person. I don't know what was going on inside this guy's mind, but obviously he wasn't worth your time. Any normal guy would look at you and think, 'there is the most amazing girl ever'. So don't waste your time mourning over some dead relationship with this guy, cause he's not worth it."

Joey sighed. She wondered why it was that Pacey always knew the right things to say to her? "Look, Pacey. You might say that now, but then I obviously haven't run across many normal guys. Because AJ, Dawson, and Jack are the only guys to ever think something about me like that."

And now that we're standing face to face
Something tells me it's going to be okay

Pacey shook his head. It was now or never. "God, you're dense, Potter."

Joey raised her eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean?" she asked.

Pacey kept shaking his head. He reached for her hands. "Why'd you call me, Jo? Is it because we're friends? I guess so. But if you ask me, for the longest time, I've been wanting more. You complete me, Joey. I know that sounds totally cliché and ridiculous, especially right now, but I need to be near you. To smell you, to see you, to hear you. I want to be a bigger part of your world.. please, Joey? Tell me you feel the same."

I'm ready to fall in love tonight
Ready to hold my heart open wide

He looked bravely into her eyes. She tightened her grip on his hands. "Potter, you're killing me. I just cut open my heart and laid it out on the table. Say something!" he urged. She remained expressionless, but her brown eyes were open wide. "Okay. I guess we should just get going, then." He started to walk towards the truck when Joey grabbed his hand and pulled him back to her. She put her hand behind his head and pulled him close.

"Pacey.. I feel the same. You aren't just a friend. God, do you know how hard it is just to be friends with you? It's painful. Because I never thought you would ever return the feelings. If you told me that I'd feel like this last year, I probably would've.." she chuckled.

"Slapped me?" he quipped.

I know you've been watching
Choosing your moment

"Yeah. But, Pacey.." she started. She was cut off. Pacey leaned in and kissed her with as much passion as he could. She kissed him back; losing all thoughts she'd had in her head except for how long she'd wanted to do this.

And I've been dreaming of that day No one before you has gotten to me this way

A while later, Pacey pulled away. Breathlessly, he said, "Wow!" he stared at Joey as if she was a figment of his imagination.

"Yeah.." Joey replied. "Pace, I hate to be so analytical and break the moment, but what does this mean?"

Pacey looked upward and let out a deep breath. "It can mean whatever you want it to mean, Joey. My feelings are real. If yours are, then maybe we should do something about it."

"But Pacey- think of the consequences. If we're together, think of how many people will be hurt. Dawson, Andie.." she trailed off.

"Jo, that doesn't have to matter if we don't want it to." He blinked his puppy-dog eyes at her.

"Pacey... I want to be with you. God, if I couldn't be, my world would stop turning. My air would run short. Stupid as it sounds, I know that in reality those words are true. I wouldn't be able to be myself after admitting those feelings and not doing anything about it. We can deal with the repercussions together, and we'll be strong- and happy!" she kissed him lightly.

I can't promise forever but baby, I'll try Cause I'm ready to fall.. In love tonight.