Login     Help

7.18 – Heart and Soul by BeatrizRC, Jessica, Renae, Peter

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Capeside, later that day.

Being a sunny day in Capeside, Pacey pulls up in front of the Potter B&B and gets out with an extra spring in his step, anxious for his daily fix of Amy. Knocking on the door as he walks in, he hears noises in the kitchen and enters in.

“Hello? Bessie?” he calls, stopping short when he sees a blonde woman turn around. “Audrey?”

“That’s right, dreamboat, it’s me,” she says with a smile, hugging him tightly. “Bessie went to the store for some shopping and so Amy could have some sun.”

“Good. So what brings you here?” he asks happily.

“Well I needed to get away for a bit and this was the place that popped into my mind out of nowhere” she shrugs her shoulders and smile at him. “So it seems like the Potter B&B will be my home away from home for a few days at least,” she says, sitting down at the table with him.

“I see” Pacey says, still surprised to find her there.

“It’s nice isn’t it?” Audrey asks after a moment of silence.

“What?” he asks, slightly confused.

“That you have a place like this to go to, seek refuge and collect yourself,” she says dreamily. “Capeside is such a dreamy place. I hope you guys don’t mind me borrowing it from time to time.” she smiles at him.

“Not that I don’t love your poetic thoughts, but I’m wondering if you feel like sharing what’s going on with you,” Pacey finally says, concerned, seeing her withdraw a bit.

“Nothing,” she says.

“Come on Audrey, I know you, we dated remember? You can tell me,” he says, reaching out to hold her hand.

(‘Hand me down’ by Matchbox 20 starts playing in the background)

Audrey’s eyes start tearing as she says. “Tell me, Pace. How do I always end up taking the wrong decision?”

Someday they'll find your small town world on a big town avenue
Gonna make you like the way they talk when they're talking to you
Gonna make you break out of the shell cause they tell you to

“Maybe it is because people insists on you to follow your heart, but what about your soul?. Maybe no matter how much you love a dream, a fantasy, you gotta realize when it is real or when it is just that: a fantasy. The heart can change its mind, but the soul will always remain. It’s forever. And you can’t underestimate that” says Pacey.

“So I guess that you have to find something where you can put both of them: heart and soul, right?” Audrey says, thinking over what he said. “Maybe there is another way to have what you want, but in the way you always thought you would have it, right?” she asks once again, looking at him intensely.

“I guess. But actually, I don’t think I’m the right person to answer your question at all... Because if I knew the answer to that I wouldn’t have done it time after time as well” he laughs.

Audrey shakes her head with amusement. “Come one. How long are you gonna play the underdog role, Pace? Look at you. You are much wiser now that you ever were before. You are exactly where you wanted to be, or heading there anyway. You are not the official loser of Capeside anymore,” she says, remembering how Pacey described himself this way time ago. “And, just in case you never realized it, you never were, as much as you’ve been convinced of that. You never were, believe me. You got a few good things out there, don’t you think?”

Gonna make you like the way they lie better than the truth
They'll tell you everything you wanted someone else to say
They're gonna break your heart, yeah

Pacey remains in silence for a few seconds, like pondering the words she’s just said.

“Maybe you’re right and I just underestimated what I had... or maybe you just give me too much credit,” he says, smiling affectionately to his friend.

“Both correct answers,” replies Audrey with a smile on his face.

From what I've seen
You're just a one more hand me down
Cause no one's tried to give you what you need
So lay all your troubles down
I am with you now

“Then I guess I could be the right person to rely on. What are you hiding from Audrey?” asks Pacey with a worried look in his eyes. Audrey closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. “Or should I say who are you hiding from?” asks again while caressing her cheek softly.

Audrey looks Pacey with tears in her eyes.

“The thing is I don’t know,” Audrey says with a trembling voice. “It’s not about something or someone. It’s about everything... about life, I guess. I left London to try to get some fun as the old Audrey... and to chase after my dream of pursuing my idealized singing career. How crazy, naïve and stupid is that? I mean, after all where am I exactly right now? Tell me, Pace, what did I get from all that childish dreams?”

Somebody ought to take you in
Try to make you love again
Try to make you like the way they feel
When they're under your skin
Never once did think they'd lie when they're holding you

“I wish I had all the answers. Sadly, I don’t but somehow I don’t think that knowing all the answers is really important. I mean, maybe that’s in some way how we learn who we are. It’s in the process of trying to get the answers when we found out the most interesting things”, tells Pacey.

“Yes, I think you’re right. Maybe I found out something about the old Audrey and that’s why I’m feeling like this”, says Audrey bitterly.

You wonder why they haven't called
When they said they'd call you
You start to wonder if you're ever gonna make it by
You'll start to think you were born blind

“’Cause you don’t like what you’ve discovered?” asks Pacey.

“Not exactly.” says while she’s trying to order her thoughts. “I guess that I was so eager to leave behind my bitterness that I didn’t realize that it was impossible to recover the old me, the cheerful and careless original one. That maybe I’m not that person anymore,” says Audrey.

“But, this hasn’t to be necessarily bad. That’s something that everyone experiment at some point in their life. People change. We change because we have to, as much as we try to resist sometimes: we change, circumstances change… that’s life”

From what I've seen
You're just a one more hand me down
Cause no one's tried to give you what you need
So lay all your troubles down
I am with you now

Audrey nods bitterly. “The bad thing is not that I’ve changed! The bad thing is that I don’t know who I am now and what the hell I want to do with my life!“ Audrey says out loud and covering her face with her hands while shakes her head. “And... and... I feel like I don’t have family because they’ve spent their frigging whole life thinking about themselves! So I have to depend on friends to ...” Without even being able to end the sentence, she breaks crying again. Pacey hugs her for a while and then he looks in her eyes.

“The way I see it, family is actually the people who care for you, who are there for you,” says Pacey with a sweet smile. “And if so, you have a big family, believe me”

Audrey then smiles and says “Thank God” comically. Nevertheless, her expression soon changes and she starts to play with her glass. Suddenly, she looks Pacey again.

I'm here for the hard times
The straight to your heart times
Whenever it ain't easy

“Why is the truth generally thought to be a good thing? Truth is disappointing and frustrating. But that’s the way life is, isn’t it?”

“I’ll have to disagree with that statement. Life is cruel, hard and heartbreaking, but every now and then it gives us some brushstrokes of greatness, you know, like being here talking to you,” Pacey says with a warm smile.

You can stand up against me
And maybe rely on me
And cry on me, yeah
Oh no, no, no

“You know what, Pace? I’m really happy that, for once in this damn life, the best people aren’t the ones falling down, which is your case.”

“You’re gonna be the next one to stand up,” says Pacey optimistically.

“And when is that supposed to happen? ‘Cause even though I’ve tried to, I only seem to sink lower than before.”

Some day they'll open up your world
Shake it down on a drawing board
Do their best to change you
They still can't erase you

“One of these days, you’ll see. Look Audrey, it’s easy for me to sit here and say those beautiful but superficial words about believing in yourself and blah blah. When you get what you’ve been wishing for a long time and you’re in that kind of optimistic rose-coloured bubble you always think you have the correct answers, which is never true because there are no correct answers. Just because I may be right, that doesn’t mean you are wrong. So, I’m not gonna say anything. I’m just gonna promise I’m gonna be here whenever you need me and you’ll always gonna find in me someone willing to listening to you,” says Pacey. “And I think this is exactly the kind of answer you get from the official loser of Capeside. Not much”, he says, emphasizing the “official loser of Capeside.” part comically, knowing deep inside and finally that he never was that boy anyway.

From what I've seen
You're just a one more hand me down
Cause no one's tried to give you what you need
So lay all your troubles down
I am with you now

“That’s just what I needed to hear. I don’t think I could bear a ‘do what your heart tells you to do’ conversation right now. I’m not exactly in a hopeful mood,” rolling her eyes.

Pacey starts to laugh. ‘How’s that? It’s in human nature to always hope for the best.”

“Nah, that’s not true at all. It’s in Andie’s nature to always hope for the best. You are spending so much time with the girl that you’re even starting to adopt her optimistic treats. I can’t imagine now that you’re gonna live in the same city!”

Lay them down on me
Oh yeah
You're just one more hand me down
And all those nots don't give you what you need

Pacey smiles thinking about how good it felt to hear that. They’re gonna live in the same city and this time he knows for sure it’s gonna be for a while. He loses himself in his thoughts for a brief moment... until Audrey speaks.

“Does Andie have small feet?”

“What?”

“Small feet? You know,” says while gesturing comically with her hands.

“Why are you asking that?”

“Because you told me a long time ago that you were looking for someone with small feet and no soul mate.”

“Oh my god. How can you remember that?”

“Because at the time you told it I thought I could be that person. It turned out that I’m not. But that person may be closer than you think.”

“Wow, Audrey. You moved me. I wonder why you always try to hide your sweet side. It’s charming,” says as he puts his right hand on his chest. But, deep inside, he knows that she might be right, that maybe that person is closer than he ever thought. And that she has already a name.

“One has to keep up appearances,” and she laughs.

“Hey, you’ve laughed. That’s good. You deserve a prize, so the Ice House invites you to drink.”

“Pacey, let me tell you you’re an excellent chef but an awful manager. This is not the way to make your business succeed, inviting people to drink.”

“Well, there’s always the lady in trouble who thanks the gentle gesture,” says Pacey funnily as he points his cheek with his finger to get a kiss.

Audrey kisses him softly in the cheek and they hug. “Thanks Pace.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Oh, and just so you know and this moment doesn’t lead to any kind of confusion, I’m not even remotely attracted to you,” she says with a sly smile. “Because honestly, who do you think I am, one of you guys that can’t move on even if their lives depended on it?”

“Hey I didn’t say a thing, but I thought we were doing pretty good right now didn’t you?” he laughs, sitting back in his chair.

“Whatever you say Pacey, you always did have a somewhat distorted view of reality though,” Audrey laughs, holding her cup of coffee.

So lay all your troubles down...on me

New York, Publishing firm.

Joey is sitting in her office, going through a manuscript, when she hears her cell phone ring. Thinking it’s Dawson, she frantically digs in her purse, a look of surprise but joy on her face when she looks at the caller.

“Hello?” she says, extending the antenna.

“Honey? Can you hear me?” the man asks, a kind tone to his voice.

“Dad? Yeah, I can hear you, what’s up? Everything okay?” she asks nervously, stopping to focus on their conversation.

“Yeah sweetheart everything is fine, I just wanted to talk to you for a minute. Is this a good time?” he asks.

“It’s fine, and you? Is everything ok in there?” she asks, curious why her dad would call at that time. They’re used to talking almost every day, but mostly at night, not in the middle of the day when they both are busy.

“I have a question for you Joey. Something I didn’t expect and I want to know how would you feel about it.”

“About what?” she asks, her curiosity perked.

“How would you feel about getting the Icehouse back?” Mike says quietly, causing Joey’s eyes to widen for a minute.

“Are you serious dad?” she asks, resting her elbow in the table and leaning on it.

“Yep, having the Icehouse owned by the family again?” he replies, waiting patiently for her to digest the question.

“Well I don’t know, I haven’t really thought about it,” she says honestly, taken aback. “But what about Pacey? The restaurant is his now.”

“For now yes, it is his, but that might be changing soon,” Mike says with a slight smile.

“What? He’s selling it? Why?” Joey asks, surprised. Pacey seemed to be so happy with his business. But once again, things are not always what they seem.

“Well we can talk about it later, I know you’re probably busy at work now, but I wanted to see how you felt about it before I did anything else,” Mike says, looking for Joey’s reaction.

“Wait dad, did Pacey offer to sell you the restaurant or was you who suggested it?” Joey asks, still a little confused.

“He wants to sell it, and he has been trying to get me into it the whole morning while we were working” A pause “Honey it’s just a possibility and I know that place has a lot of good and bad memories for us, even with a new building and coat of paint,” Mike says quietly. “But maybe this could be a new start for us, something to really build on and make our own again. Things are different now than they were before, they won’t ever be like they were again,” Mike says softly.

“I know they aren’t Dad, I know, but maybe it’s good to leave stuff like that in the past and not tempt our fate right now,” Joey whispers again.

“Well I know this is a surprise and a lot to deal with, but I wanted to let you know what was going on so you didn’t hear it from someone else,” Mike says, causing Joey to smile.

“Thanks dad, I appreciate it and I promise I’ll think about what you told me,” Joey smiles, leaning back her chair. “But it is ultimately your decision and if it makes you happy, then I am happy.”

“Thanks honey. What would make me happy though is that we all put our effort in this, you know? To make it a familiar business like it was before. I got a few ideas in my head, but I don’t want to keep you any longer. Give me a call whenever you have a break at work and we can talk, ok?”

“Sure, I’ll call you later on,” she says with a smile.

“Love you honey.” his father says with a warm, firm voice, and Joey’s face lights up. Long, long ago, her main obsession was that her dad didn’t love her, didn’t care for her. And now he’s back in her life, for good this time, and telling her he loves her over the phone.

Slipping the phone back in her bag, Joey smiles and then takes a deep breath when she is faced with the manuscript again. Rubbing her temples slowly, she opens her eyes and takes the manuscript.

At that very same moment, at the TV set of New York.

We see the movement of cameras, a few extras here and there, waiting for some instructions. The catering table, where some of the actors are eating something in between takes, and a couple of make up people applying make up to the main actress of the show.

The camera pans out to make a panoramic of the whole TV set when we see Dawson appear by the far corner, followed by Samantha and a couple more of persons, one of them carrying a camera and taking some pictures as they walk by.

The camera gets closer to the group so we can hear what they are talking about.

“And that is basically what we have been filming here for the last three weeks. Everything that needed to be filmed in external locations was filmed the first. That is the major advantage of working on something that is already written entirely.

“So this is more a mini series than a TV show, right?” the journalist asks as the photographer snaps another pic from one of the actors from afar.

“Yes, you can say it like that,” Dawson says as someone approaches him and hands him a folder with some notes on it. “It’s like a mini series, not a TV show with various seasons. Originally, we were going to make twelve episodes, then we decided to reduce it to ten. Some things of the plot were irrelevant and we decided to cut them off. It would help to focus in the important ones” he replies as he has been revising the notes he was given and gave them back to the PA with some of his own over them.

“So this is very different to your own show, ‘The Creek’, that is still being filmed in Los Angeles, right?” the journalist asks as now the three of them sit down and the photograph goes over the catering table to help himself.

“Definitely. The rhythm of work in my show is totally the opposite to this one. Here as I said, everything was planned and determined since the beginning. In a TV show like mine, you can’t do that. You have to be open to changes here and there. Always being true to the core story of course, or trying at least, but it is really different”

“So speaking of that, and since you have already explained everything about this project with Spielberg that we will be able to watch in just a coupe of weeks, right?” the journalist asks to him.

“Right. The first episode is already in post-production.” Sam intercedes seeing that Dawson is not replying.

“Right, thanks” the journalist smiles at her, “what can you tell us about ‘The Creek’ Mr. Leery?. Will there be a third season?"

Dawson takes his hand to his temple, pretending to be thinking, but actually, he is trying to calm down his headache.

“Well, I think a show only has certain amount of time before it starts going downhill. I’m not sure for how long I’d like to keep that show going. I’m still in negotiations with the network, so we’ll see,” he answers diplomatically.

“Dawson, are you feeling ok?” Sam asks, placing a hand on his arm.

“I’m feeling a little sick. I woke up this morning feeling some sickness but then went away. Seems like is coming back now.”

“Must be the spring cold,” the journalist says sympathetically. “It happened to me last week. Anyway, we are done here. Thanks for your time Mr. Leery. See you soon in the premiere cocktail of the show,” she says, standing up.

“Sure, we’ll be there. Thanks for coming Elyse. It was nice to meet you.” he says politely as they shake hands.

As the journalist walks away, Dawson sits down again, the set spinning around him.

“I’ll call you a taxi,” Sam says, taking her cell phone out her pocket.

Capeside, outside the Potter B&B.

Bessie, Audrey and Pacey, who is holding Amy, are in the porch.

“Are you gonna miss uncle Pacey till tomorrow?” Pacey asks, bouncing Amy lightly in his arms as the baby girl smiles adoringly at him, taking her hand to his cheek.

Bessie shakes her head.

“She will miss how much you spoil her,” she scolds him lightly, rolling her eyes, and Pacey notices.

“Why would be that I always have that effect in the Potter girls?” he asks pretending to be serious, to little Amy. “You know, the whole rolling eyes thing,” causing Audrey to laugh out loud and Bessie to swap his shoulder.

Kissing the top of Amy’s head, Pacey hands it to Bessie but is Audrey who catches her.

“Hand the little princess to me,” she coos to the baby, “we have some talk to do, right honey?” she says as she walks inside the house with her followed by Pacey and Bessie’s stare.

“It makes her good being here,” Pacey says pensively.

“Are you talking about Amy or Audrey?” Bessie asks, amused, and Pacey looks at her, smiling.

“Both” A pause “So… has your dad tell you…?” he asks, curious.

“… about you selling the Ice House?” Bessie inquires.

“Yeah. What do you think about it?”

“Pacey, I know we have never get along especially smoothly, for different reasons. It was never that I didn’t like you, it was just that I knew that you weren’t… the right one for Joey. Sorry.”

“That’s in the past Bessie. I understand though.”

“So I’m gonna be honest and say that at first I was startled at the possibility of us getting back the IceHouse. It pained me greatly to have to sell it, and now it getting back to us feels like… fate, you know? Like that is the way it has to be.”

“I know what you mean.”

“So I told my father to go for it.”

“Great,” Pacey smiles at her. “I can’t imagine it in the hands of anyone else but him. It’s not going to happen right now, or next week. There are things to do before everything is resolved. But this is a go Bessie, there is no turning back. So I really hope he decides to go for it.”

“Me too.” Bessie smiles at him and he waves his hand, walking down the porch’s stairs as Bessie closes the door behind her.

Pacey hasn’t walked out of the property yet when his cell phone rings. Figuring that he may as well answer, Pacey picks it up without checking the I.D.

“Hey, it’s your quarter,” he speaks into it.

“Pacey?”

“Joey?” he greets her, a little surprised that she is calling. “Hey! How are you? Is everything fine?”

“Besides my ‘roomie’ coughing up a lung… yeah, it’s going great,” Joey speaks from the other side of the line. “Listen, I need to talk to you about something.”

“Let me guess,” Pacey chuckles. “You got a call from daddy dearest?”

“You’re actually selling the Icehouse?” she asks, just to make sure one last time. “Why pick us?”

“These things usually go in cycles, right?” he explains. “Mike Potter ran the first Icehouse when it melted. I just thought it was fitting he take over this one. Kinda brings everything full circle.”

Pacey hears her laugh from the other line.

“Are you getting whimsical in your old age, Witter?” she jokes. “You even seem to be wise” she jokes.

“Well, you’re the second person to notice today, so there must be some truth on it” Pacey smiles, “it had to happen at some point I guess,” he replies with a big grin on his face, before his voice takes a serious tone. “Hey, have you spoken to Audrey lately?”

“About what?”

“She’s been having some troubles,” Pacey sighs. “The girl, well…let’s just say she has a bad case of the Pacey Witters.”

Joey pauses for a moment, considering what that means.

“Ok, that means what exactly?” she asks. “She slept with a teacher? She built a boat? She spat in someone’s face?”

“She put her career before herself,” he explains finally. “Kinda like what happened to me back when I was working for Rich.”

“Oh boy…” Joey sighs. “She really wants to be a singer, Pace.”

“So much so that she let herself get used by this creep,” he grumbles. “I just hate the thought of that. I hate even more that I can’t do a single thing about it. Man, I just want to track down this guy and wipe that smirk of his face!”

“Pacey…” she warns him.

“Yeah, I know,” he sighs. “I’m not going to help her by fighting her battles. I just don’t want anyone I care about being hurt. Especially when I’ve been there.”

“I think Audrey’s a lot stronger than any of us realize, Pacey,” Joey suggests to him. “Trust me. She’ll bounce back. Just give her time. Otherwise, I’ll wipe that creep’s smirk off myself.” She says and the she sneezes noisily and coughs a little.

Pacey laughs.

“That didn’t sound too good”

All the response he gets is a growl from Joey.

“I think I’m heading home at any moment. I’m feeling sicker by the minute,” she complains as she sniffs into a tissue.

“Say ‘hi’ to Dawson for me,” Pacey says in closing. “See you soon. I still owe you guys a dinner on the house.”

“And don’t think we won’t collect!” Joey reminds him, before hanging up.

A smile on his face, Pacey hangs up the phone and keeps on walking. As he is about to place it back in his pocket, his smile widens. Checking his watch, he presses a button and remains quiet for a while.

“Hi there Andie! This is Pacey. Give me a call when you’re done with your shift. I think I might have some good news for you,” he says as we see him walking out the Potter’s property.

New York city, later in the evening.

Jack is in a cab on his way to the airport after a long day. He had been going over the legal documents for hours, making sure there were no loopholes they had missed. Even with Grams in his corner, the legal battle over Amy was going to be a hard one.

Jack looks out the window and can’t help but his mind going back to his meeting with Drue, and still perplexed at the questions that Drue asked him. Jen had mentioned that she had run in to him once long ago, before she even get pregnant. But she hadn’t mentioned anything else. Or maybe, knowing how he despised the guy after all the ecstasy pills incident, she wouldn’t have told him that something had happened between her and Drue.

‘That’s silly,’ Jack thinks, ‘she would have told me’.

Still thinking about his encounter with Drue, Jack doesn’t at first hear his cell phone ring.

“Sir?” The cab driver says to Jack as he looks in the rear view mirror at him. Jack looks at him, “Your cell phone is ringing,”

Jack feels around in his coat pocket, finds the phone then answers it.

“Hello?”

“Jack, it’s Dawson. You still here?” Dawson asks then sneezes in to the phone, “Sorry about that.”

“You sound sick.”

“That’s because I am.”

“That sucks”

“Tell me about it. So…”

“So, after a long day I’m finally on my way to the airport, not to far away.”

“Was everything ok today?” Dawson asks, concerned.

“Just like I expected it. We have a definitive date for the trial, what only makes everything more real, if possible.”

“Bet you’re anxious to go home,” Dawson shifts in bed reaching for a tissue.

“And speaking of home, I left the keys before I left this morning right where Joey told me last night. Did you get them?”

“Yes, I did. I’m sorry we couldn’t spend more time with you though.”

“No problem, this was just a business trip anyway,” Jack sighs, “and now I can’t wait to see Amy even though I haven’t been gone that long,” Jack smiles as he looks down at his bag knowing that he has a couple of new things for Amy that he had bought while in New York City.

(‘Angeles’ by Josh Kelley starts playing in the background)

“Well, actually that is why I am calling, it’s kind of about Amy.” Jack’s brow furrows wondering where this is headed. Dawson thinks for only a second and then quickly says, “Jack I’m thinking about doing a documentary about gay parents. I mean you can’t be the only one that has run in to opposition when wanting to adopt. Granted this is a unique situation but one that I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t other people out there that might have the same type of story.”

Sometimes I never know just what to do
Just what to do
Thinkin' about the choices that I'm put through
That I'm put through
So scared for what the future brings for me
It brings for me
It's time to pack my bags and get it right
Let's get it right

Jack is taken a bit by surprise. He thinks for a moment about the time that he had helped Dawson with his movie. It had been late one evening, Jack had been working on the model of the town while Dawson did some revisions on his script. The TV was turned on, the volume rather low neither one of them paying much attention to it until a new program came on, a documentary. Dawson took a moment and glanced over at the TV. They both took a break and sat there, together, watching the documentary. What it was about, he couldn’t remember but he did remember Dawson telling him that if he found the right subject someday that making a documentary would be something he would like to do.

“Jack? Are you listening,” Jack shakes his head for a moment.

“Uh yeah.”

“So what do you think?”

“I didn’t hear all of what you said,” Jack has to admit.

“That’s okay I was just rambling pretty much because of the fever.” Dawson jokingly complains and Jack laughs. “We’ll talk about it later. I know you have other things on your mind. Just think about it. I’m sure it has been done before, but not the way I wanna do it. I still have to go over the details, but before doing anything, I wanted to make sure that you had nothing against it. Mostly because a great part of the documentary would be centred around you, and Amy and… well, the circumstances that lead to the whole situation.”

Going out to Angeles
Keep me restless for the days
Going out to Angeles
Bringin' me to find my way
Going out to Angeles
Keep me restless for the days
Going out to Angeles
Bringin' me to find my way

“It’s a great idea Dawson. It could be interesting, so I’m all for you making a more detailed outline of it and then we can talk about it. Today is just not the day though.” Dawson nods his head and there is a brief pause before Jack speaks again. “Actually something strange happened today. Believe it or not, I ran in to Drue outside the lawyer’s building, literally almost ran in to him.”

“You’re kidding!” Dawson says, sitting up on bed. “I guess that could happen seeing as how he grew up in New York?”

“I guess, but it was still… weird. We went and got some coffee. Dawson, he didn’t even know that Jen is dead. But the weirdest part came when I told him that she had a daughter and that I was raising her. If you could have seen his face. Then he started asking questions. He asked me when Amy’s age and if Jen had a boyfriend when I found out that she was pregnant.”

Dawson eyes furrows suspiciously.

Going out to Angeles
Keep me restless for the days
Going out to Angeles
Bringin' me to find my way
Going out to Angeles
Keep me restless for the days
Going out to Angeles
Bringin' me to find my way

“Jack you don’t think…,” Dawson’s voice trails off.

“Dawson I don’t know,” Jack knows what he wants to ask, he wonders that now too. “I know that Jen was having some trouble with her boyfriend and well, seems like Jen and Drue were in contact with each other at that time? So I don’t know.” Jack runs his hand through his hair.

“Jack, that doesn’t mean anything.”

“Yeah, I know Dawson. Listen I can see the airport terminal. I need to get going.”

“Okay Jack. I’ll get back with you when I know more about the documentary.”

“Okay,” Jack echoes, then hangs up the phone.

Going out to Angeles
Bringin' me to find my way

At that same moment, inside another taxi, in another New York street.

Joey is sitting in the back seat of a cab, putting a hand to her forehead and whining a little, feeling sick. But still, she is holding her cell phone to her ear, waiting for the person in the other side to reply.

“Hey, about time! I was starting to get worried,” Joey laughs.

“Awww thanks mom, I appreciate the concern,” Audrey says sweetly, laughing along with Joey as she is sitting on the floor of the B&B kitchen, rolling a colourful ball to Amy, who is sitting right in front of her, her little legs spread to catch the ball in between them. “So what’s up, you and Dawson detached yourselves from one another for the afternoon and you decided to invest some of your little non-couple time with little old me?”

“First of all, Dawson and I are not joined at the hip, regardless of what you see or hear,” Joey says, rolling her eyes. “And second of all, I always have time for you, no matter what I’m doing.” She sneezes loudly and sends an apologetic look to the driver through the review mirror as Audrey puts on a horrified face in the other side of the phone, looking at the cell in her hand as if it could bite her.

“Yeah okay, I’ll keep that in mind when you and Dawson are sucking face in front of all of us or his hand is mysteriously disappeared under the table,” Audrey says, wanting to bug her friend.

“Ha ha, funny” Joey replies and Audrey laughs.

“Oh it’s okay, it’s actually kind of cute.” Audrey replies, knowing that she succeeded.

“Thanks, but I wanted to talk to you about something in particular, which is part of the reason I called you, outside of the fact that we haven’t hung out a lot lately even though we live in the same city,” Joey says, getting comfortable in the seat.

Audrey looks curious about what she has to say as Bessie takes Amy in her arms, saying that is time to eat something and sleep. Audrey waves at the baby and listens to Joey.

“I know you’ve been through a lot lately and have a lot going on and I wanted to let you know, if you didn’t already, that I don’t want you to leave me out of this or feel like you can’t come to me for help or to talk or anything,” Joey says, her voice firm and hoping that Audrey knows that she is being sincere.

“I know Joey,” Audrey says softly, adopting an Indian position with her legs crossed and still in the floor.

“I know you know but I wanted to tell you again so you don’t forget,” Joey says firmly. “I wasn’t there for you a lot when you were in rehab back in college and I want you to know that I’m really here for you now, no matter what is going on in my life.”

“I know that Joey, I know you’re here for me,” Audrey says, not really knowing what else to say, moved by Joey’s concern.

“Well things aren’t like they were in college, I’m not distracted by school or my brad new last boyfriend or other horribly dramatic and angsty things,” Joey says, laughing a little at the memories of such times. “You’re my best girlfriend and I want you to really know that I would do anything to help you, even if it’s just listen and tell you everything is going to be okay.”

“Thanks Bunny, I appreciate it,” Audrey says, “I just didn’t want to interrupt your honeymoon with Dawson. You two are so in your own little world that I felt as if I was only going to bug you” Audrey pouts, realizing how silly that sounds now that she has said it out loud.

“God Audrey! Don’t you ever say that again! What are friends for? Beside, now that we have no more drama in our lives, we are more that willing to live it vicariously through our friends.” Joey laughs and Audrey raises her brows.

“You know, that wasn’t very nice” she jokes back.

“Argh, I know, I know. Must be the fever.” Joey complains, taking a hand to her forehead again.

“Oh bunny, you’re sick?”

“Sick and going home so Dawson can nurse me. He’s already there feeling as sick as I am”

Audrey laughs.

“No surprise there. And just for you to know, you’re such a spoiled girl,” Audrey says as the cab comes to a stop.

“I know,” Joey smiles. “But honestly, jokes aside, feel free to stop by any time at our home. Dawson and I love visitors and you should see what we’ve done with the living room,” Joey says, handing the cab driver the money.

“Oh really? Well I just might have to stop by one night,” Audrey says with a smile.

“Please do, the more the merrier,” Joey smiles, getting out of the cab.

At night, Jack’s house, Capeside.

The night was quiet. Grams had gone to sleep some time ago and Jack is revising some tests for the next day at school. The knock comes on the door so suddenly that Jack almost falls out of the chair.

Groaning at yet another interruption, Jack answers the door.

Much to his surprise, and for the second time in the day, he finds himself face to face with Drue Valentine.

“Hey?” he greets Jack. “Can I come in?”

“Drue?” he asks in surprise. “What are you doing here in Capeside? How did you…?”

“Find you?” he asks. “You’re listed, McPhee. Not hard to do in a place like this.”

”But all the way from New York…” Jack says, still surprised.

“Jack, please, can I come in?” Drue asks again.

With a nod of his head, Jack invites him inside. As he steps through the foyer, Drue makes sure to take in the surroundings.

“Nice place,” he says. “So this is where you and Grams live in? And Amy?” he says, turning to Jack, who just closed the door.

“Grams and me. Amy is under Bessie’s custody now. Remember her? Joey’s sister.”

“Oh, yes, I do remember” Drue replies after a couple of seconds trying to out a face to the name.

Then he notices the picture in the corner. One of Jen and Amy. Leaning down, he gently traces on contours of both their faces.

“She’s beautiful,” he whispers. “They both are.”

His voice is so charged of emotion that behind him, Jack stares at him curiously.

“Drue?” he asks softly. “What are you doing here?”

Drue stands back up, and after one more moment of looking at the picture, turns to face Jack.

“Jen wanted you to take care of her daughter, right?” he asks. “And now her mother’s trying to take her away? Well, I’m going to help you, Jack. I’m going to help you fight her.”

Jack gives him a look, trying to understand.

“Why do you care so much?” he asks.

“Because… Because the last time I saw Jen, something happened between us. That was just over two years ago, Jack.”

Drue gives time for the thought to sink on Jack’s mind, and then continues talking, his eyes never leaving Jack’s.

“So there’s a very good chance that Amy’s my daughter, too.”

Jack’s mouth hangs open. His throat becomes dry, as he goes completely speechless.

The legal battle to come had just gotten a lot more complicated.

Meanwhile, in New York.

“Dawson you are so not a typical guy,” Joey, who is lying in the bed, says as a shirtless Dawson walks back in to their bedroom with crackers and tea.

“You’re just now noticing this?” He questions playfully as he places the tray on the bed and Joey smiles widely.

“Most guys are such babies when they get sick, and here you are getting me tea and crackers. Audrey is right, you spoil me way too much,” she says, a big grin on her face as she places a quick kiss on his lips.

“Is not big deal, I just happened to arrive here sooner than you and is feeling better first,” He says, getting back in to bed. “When’s our next dose of cold medicine anyway?” Dawson asks as he pours tea for both of them.

Joey glances at the clock.

“Actually now.”

With that she goes to the bathroom with only her shorts and a pink shirt under Dawson’s stare, then brings back the bottle of cold medicine.

“You look great in that shirt,” he comments playfully as she pushes her to his lap.

Joey giggles and rests her forehead to his.

“Well, thanks Mr Leery.” she replies, looking at his lips, then smiling up at him.

Still in his lap, she watches as Dawson pours the medicine on to a spoon.

“How can you do that and not get it all over the bed?” She asks, as he doesn’t spill a drop.

“I don’t know…talent,” he jokes.

“Thank God this doesn’t taste that bad,” he says as he takes his doses, then gives her own to Joey. She opens her mouth just in time and a small drop of liquid remains at the corner of her mouth causing Dawson to lightly kiss her right at that spot.

('Smile' by Josh Rouse starts playing in the background)

“Mmm,” she murmurs. “If I recall right, this is how we got sick,” they both lightly laugh, then she cuddles against him. Now that their fever has gone down, at least they can stay close to each other without suffocating.

I know this sounds absurd
let me start this verse
your passion has slowed you down

“I talked to my dad today.” Joey says after a while, Dawson’s fingers playing with her hair. “Pacey is selling the Ice House and he wants him to buy it. Needless to say my dad wants to buy it as well.”

“Wait, Pacey is selling the Ice House?” Dawson asks rather confused, looking down at her, who looks up at him and nods her head.

“Kind of shocking I know, but he told my father that he wants a new challenge and that it is time to move on.”

In the corner you sit on a chair
where's that shirt you wear
it makes you look so soft

“So what do you think of your dad owning it?” Dawson asks curious to know Joey’s response. After all the Ice House is linked to a lot of memories. Good… and bad.

“At first I was unsure. Maybe unsure is not the word, but it felt… weird, you know? Then my dad and I talked again more calmly and I think it’s a great idea. Actually, my dad made me an offer. He made an offer to both, Bessie and I, that we’d all be partners.”

And I won't ask for much
I won't ask for anything
at all

Dawson is quiet for a moment as the events of the night when the Ice House burned down all those years ago flash before his eyes.

“Dawson?” She rubs his leg gently to get his attention. He looks in to her eyes, ”I know what you’re thinking about,” she says as her hand cups his cheek and he leans in to her hand.

And I won't ask for much
I won't ask for anything

He places his hand on hers then closes his eyes for a moment, then opens them, smiling at her.

You could just sit there and smile

“I think it’s great if you want to take your dad up on his offer. If it makes you happy Jo,” she smiles indicating that it does. “And it could be interesting, you and your family with the Ice House, me and my mother with the Leery´s,” he realizes, pondering the possibilities.

Fell into a sleep
fifteen minutes deep
you can't hold a thought there

“I know,” Joey says, even more animated now than before. “Maybe with time our families can join business or something,” she grins at him with her all teeth smile. “There goes an idea”.

“Maybe,” Dawson smiles back. “And speaking of ideas, I called Jack today. I’ve had this idea churning in my head.” and Joey laughs because of their conversation that morning. She knew she was right about Dawson plotting some other project. Dawson just looks at her and smiles, knowing why she is laughing, “It would be a documentary and wanted to get his opinion.”

“Why’d you call Jack?” She questions as she moves to sit now in front of him in the bed.

This apartment's cheap
it's breaking gods heart to see
you look so down and
inspired

“I’ve been thinking about Jack’s situation and how their must be a lot of other people out there in the world going through what Jack is going through. Wouldn’t it be great to make a documentary about gay parents?” he says with a glimmer in his eye.

She looks in to his eyes as they twinkle and glow, she has always known that when Dawson gets that glimmer in his eyes about a project that it is important to him. Joey doesn’t even have to think for a second with what she says next,

“I think it is a great idea!” she grins at him. “And what is even better, we can work together again! Jack is also my friend and I wanna do something for him too. So I can help you with research and contacting people to share their stories,” she says excitedly, putting her hair behind her ears.

I won't ask for much
I won't ask for anything
at all

“I take it you like the idea?” Dawson asks, happy that not only she supports him on this, but that she is also willing to work with him.

“I not only like the idea but I love the idea of working with you again,” she snuggles up to him again and runs her hand over his bare chest.

“Me too. I can’t wait,” Dawson says, tilting his head down and he is about to kiss her when Joey sits back up quickly, taking Dawson by surprise.

“Where should we start, with researching the information or with interviewing people and how are we going to get people?”

And I won't ask for much
I won't ask for anything

She grabs a pen and paper from the drawer of her nightstand and begins to form a plan of action.

“You’re marvellous, has anyone ever told you that?” Dawson says, excited by her enthusiasm.

“Actually yes, a few ones,” she jokes and Dawson rolls his eyes. “Anyway, I think we should start with an outline of who is going to do what?” Joey says, back to business.

You could just sit there and smile

“Okay, I’m sure that Jack will have some ideas too, since a great part of the documentary will be about him and Amy. We’ll need to start a phone list of people to contact and…”

“What about Jack’s lawyer?” Joey asks as she sits next to Dawson and starts writing furiously some notes.

and smile
*on and on and on*

Dawson embraces Joey, who leans on his chest and they continue chatting as the camera pans away…

CREDITS.