Login     Help

The last dance by Kilby

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jack took a deep breath before lifting his balled-up hand to the door and knocking softly. He was surprised when Jen answered the door herself. "Hey," he said with a smile. His eyes slowly took her in part-by-part. The long, white dress she wore was very simple, yet it clung to her curves generously, her voluptuousness and sex appeal nearly screaming to be noticed. Her hair was simple, but lovely, piled on top of her head with tiny curls falling to the crown of her head; some straight pieces had already fallen, but it complimented her face beautifully. She was absolutely glowing, the smile on her face was wide, and her eyes possessed a twinkle.

"You look beautiful," he whispered, his eyes roaming back up her body until he caught her gaze and smiled awkwardly.

"I'm so glad to see you," she whispered, pulling him into a gentle embrace. She clung to him closely, not letting go right away. "Do me a favor?" She pulled him into the room, shutting the door behind her. "Tell Grams that it's not bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding," she said with a smirk.

Jack smiled. "Grams, it's not bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding."

The older woman rolled her eyes, smoothing down the sleeves of the tan jacket she wore that matched her dress. She shook her finger at her granddaughter. "Perhaps not, but you're tempting fate, Jennifer." With that, she left the room.

Jen exhaled slowly as she turned to Jack. "I can't believe that it's here. It feels like I'm in a movie or something, very surreal."

"I can't believe it's here either," he replied. "It's as if it snuck up on us."

She nodded, her fingers smoothing down his lapels. "Any parting words?"

"No words," he said softly, offering his hand to her. "But could I have this dance?"

"Jack, we'll be doing more than our fair share of dancing at the reception."

"Humor me?" he said, raising his eyebrow slightly. "Your last dance as a single woman?"

She smiled crookedly, her eyes darting to the side for a moment before they came back to him. "Okay, one dance."

This is my last dance with you
This is my only chance to do all I can do
To let you know that what I feel for you is real

He collected her into his arms and held her to him closely. She rested her head and her right hand on his chest. His arms circled her waist tightly, and he inhaled deeply, smelling a gentle scent that reminded him of the honeysuckle when it bloomed.

"I can hear your heart beat," she murmured softly. "Do you always think it will be like this, Jack? Because I don't want this marriage to change things."

This is the last chance for us
This is the moment that I just cannot let end
Before I know that there's a chance we're more than friends

So don't let go, don't let go
Make it last all night
This is my last chance to make you mine

"Nothing will change. We'll still be each other's best friend. We'll still go to the movies on Tuesday nights and you'll always call me at three in the morning when you have insomnia."

She pulled back slightly and looked him in the eye, causing him to only grasp her tighter. "I don't know what I'd do without you in my life like this."

"I feel the same way about you," he replied, pressing his lips to her forehead lightly as they continued to sway together in the quiet of the room.

She sighed contentedly. "I like being in your arms. It's one of the only things that makes me feel safe. I'd trust you with my life."

I kept my feelings so deep
I kept my dreams of you and me somewhere inside
Although I prayed that you would see it in my eyes

But this is my last chance to say
What's in my heart before you stay out of my life
And then you'll understand the way I feel inside

His eyes lulled shut. His hands stroked up the smooth skin on her back slowly, causing her to shiver ever so slightly. "I'd never get tired of holding you," he replied.

She pulled back again, this time locking her eyes with his. "What do you see?"

"I see one of the most beautiful women in the world in my arms, and I think that I will treasure this moment for the rest of my life. It would've killed me for all those other people to see you at the same time I did."

"You deserve to see me first," she said with a tiny smile. "I don't really care what the rest of them think."

So hold me close cause it feels so right
This is my last chance to make it mine

He licked his lips inconspicuously, as if his mouth had suddenly gone dry. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure this wedding is what you want? What you need? Because I just want you to be happy."

"I never envisioned it like this, but it seems to be what's going to happen in about three minutes unless someone objects."

Make this dream reality
So close and yet so far
Gotta find a way into your heart
Gotta speak my mind
Gotta open up to you this time
I can't let you slip away tonight

Her eyes searched his intently while his jaw clenched and he tried to look away. "Do you think someone will object?" she asked.

He was quiet for a moment. Neither of them had noticed they'd stopped swaying. "Would you want them to?"

"It would be a good story for the grandchildren," she said with a crooked smile. "Do you think someone will?"

"I think it only happens in movies," he replied, his eyes finally meeting hers again. "If it gets this far, it's . . . silly . . . too late. How could someone object to this? It's not their life."

"Maybe because they're scared. Maybe they try to keep it inside because they're afraid. Maybe they can't even fathom the idea of a wedding and just can't . . . let go after trying."

This is my last dance with you
This is my only chance to do all I can do
To let you know that what I feel for you is so real
So don't let go
Just make it last all night long

"Sometimes you have to let go," he whispered.

"Sometimes you get screwed in the process," she replied with a sarcastic laugh.

"You never know what's right," he offered. "You can only do what you think will be best."

Her eyes locked with his again before she relaxed her grip on him and took a step back. "Thanks for the dance, Jack."

He pulled away, kissing her lips lightly. "Congratulations, Jennifer Lindley. You make a beautiful bride, and you're going to be a fabulous wife."

"I hope that Nate finds that to be true," she replied, her voice somewhat shaky.

He put a gentle hand on her face and kissed her once again, this time not-so-innocently. "Thanks for the last dance," he whispered, kissing her forehead again before silently leaving the room.

This is my last chance to make you mine

* * * * *