Login     Help

7.13 - Never the same by Renae, Deb, Jessica, Kayden

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Gram’s kitchen, Capeside.

(“Walk away” by Ben Harper, starts playing in the background)

Amy is sitting in her high chair, coloring on a blank piece of paper while Jack hovers over her, enjoying her presence and making comments to her about her “masterpieces.”

Oh no- here comes that sun again.
And (that) means another day without you my friend.
And it hurts me to look into the mirror at myself.
And it hurts even more to have to be with somebody else.

There’s a pensive, sad look on his face when Amy is busy coloring, the reality of today setting in for him though he tries to keep it private. As soon as Amy glances up at him or pushes the paper with her work toward him though, he’s all smiles, kissing her endlessly, whispering little things to her that make her smile.

Their nice moment is interrupted when there’s a knock at the door, causing Jack to watch Amy out of the corner of his eye as he goes to answer it, surprised at who is in front of him.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes - sometimes,
you just have to walk away - walk away.

“Doug, what’s up?” Jack asks, still surprised that his former boyfriend is coming over. He does come from time to time, to see Amy. He knows because Grams tells him, since he always visit the house when Jack is at work.

“Hey Jack, I just wanted to stop by,” he says nervously, fidgeting with his sheriff hat.

“Is everything okay?” Jack asks.

With so many people to love in my life, why do I worry about one?
But you put the happy in my ness, you put the good times into my fun.

“Yeah, I… you know I just wanted to make sure you remembered that Amy has to go to Bessie and Bodie’s tonight…” Doug says, slightly ashamed.

“Oh, thanks, yeah I know, it’s not like I could forget,” Jack whispers, staring at his feet, throwing a glance at Amy to make sure she’s still coloring.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes - sometimes,
you just have to walk away - walk away and head for the door.

“Is that the only reason you came over here?” Jack asks, looking at Doug expectantly.

“Well yeah…I wanted to make sure you didn’t forget,” Doug says softly. “If you’re going to try and get her back, being cooperative and on time and stuff is important when you go back to Social Services.”

“Yeah thanks I appreciate it,” Jack says.

We've tried the goodbye so many days.
We walk in the same direction so that we could never stray.
They say if you love somebody than you have got to set them free,
but I would rather be locked to you than live in this pain and misery.

An awkward silence comes between them, something Jack smirks at because it’s ironic. They used to have such great conversations, be able to talk for hours and tell each other anything and now it’s come to this. This painful, awkward, uncomfortable silence that neither one knows how to fix, both afraid to make the first move.

“So how’s the job going?” Jack asks, pointing toward the hat.

“Oh Sheriff? Yeah it’s going well, you know good days and bad,” Doug smiles, hoping to break the tension. This is the man who, after all, made him face his worst fears and face a truth he had been denying for years. He changed his whole life because of him, because of love for him. The love he felt… and still does.

“Hey you’re looking at the king of good days and bad,” Jack laughs, seeing Doug look down again. “That was a joke Doug, it’s okay, really.”

Amy squeals from the kitchen, causing both men to turn around and see her beautiful face staring at them, smiling and waving her hands around. Both men smile, Jack wistfully.

They say time will make all this go away,
but it's time that has taken my tomorrows and turned them into yesterdays.
And once again that rising sun is droppin' on down
And once again, you my friend, are nowhere to be found.

“She’s getting big,” Doug says, unable to tear his eyes away.

“Yeah, she is,” Jack says softly.

“It’s going to be weird, not having her around,” Doug sighs.

“Yeah I’ll miss her probably about as much as I miss you,” Jack says, turning to look at Doug, who seems surprised by his comment.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes, sometimes you just have to walk away, walk away and head for the door.

“I should go,” he says, turning and putting on his hat, unable to see Jacks’ face fall a bit. “I’ll see you later, if you need anything, let me know.”

Jack is about to let him go, but at the very same moment he places the hand in the door, Jack realizes he doesn’t want him to.

You just walk away - walk away - walk away.
You just walk away, walk on, turn and head for the door.

“Wait! Doug!” Jack calls for him and he turns around surprised and with an expecting expression in his face. Jack swallows “Why don’t you stay for a while? Take some coffee, or tea or whatever. Just because we’re not together anymore it doesn’t mean we can’t talk to each other or… being friends?” he asks him tentatively.

Doug seems to doubt, but Amy throws her little arms in his direction and a smile spreads over Doug’s face. He sure has missed the girl.

“Ok, I’ll stay. I’ll have to leave in about ten minutes or so though,” he advices Jack.

Jack nods his head in silence and smiles at him weakly. Then he watches as Doug walks to Amy and the girl squeals in delight when he takes her in his arms from the high chair.

Back to New York, downtown. Outside a restaurant.

We can see the whole group, Dawson, Joey, Audrey, Samantha and Ethan coming out through the restaurant’s door.

“Well, I’ve gotta run, we’ll talk later,” Audrey hugs Joey and pats Dawson on the shoulder, waving at Sam and Ethan as she starts to walk away “It was nice to see you again guys!”, and she is off before they know it. Dawson and Joey exchange a look once again, but they say nothing.

They start walking down the street back to Joey’s office that is only a couple of blocks away. Dawson and Joey are holding hands as they walk. Samantha and Joey are engaged in a conversation, Ethan and Dawson in their own one as well. Then the conversation declines as they approach the building. The four of them stop walking to say their goodbyes.

Dawson and Joey smile at each other and Samantha and Ethan exchange a look.

“Ethan do you know anything about that antique shop,” Samantha asks catching him a bit off guard when she points to the called shop that is a few feet away.

“Actually, I’ve done some shopping in there. It is pretty nice,” He further explains.

“Oh really? I need to buy some gifts for my mother’s birthday and would love to see if they have there what I am looking for,” she grabs his hand quickly and they go in to the shop leaving Dawson and Joey by themselves.

“That was a good move”, Ethan comments to her when they enter the place. Samantha smiles.

“Well, I thought we could give them some space to say goodbye” she explains as she releases Ethan’s hand.

“That’s okay,” he smiles at her. “And… next time, you don’t really need to drop my hand, you know?” he asks playfully.

“Ok, I won’t” she smiles wide at him.


Meanwhile, in the street…

Holding hands, Dawson brings Joey in closer to him. He nuzzles her neck as his hands go around her waist and her hands do the same. Just staying pressed closely together and feeling the warmth radiate from one body to another.

“It doesn’t get any better than this,” Dawson says softly in to her ear.

He can feel her nod her head, his eyes closed just breathing in the scent that is so very much Joey.

“I really don’t want to go back to work.”

“Neither do I,” he agrees and sighs, “especially when I know we’ll have no time to meet again today. We’re starting filming in a couple of weeks and things are hectic.”

“That’s ok” she says softly, intertwining her fingers with his, not wanting to make him feel bad “Tell me Dawson,” she moves causing him to release his grip slightly so that now he is looking in to her eyes. “How did I live without this?”

He smiles and his eyes get that special warm they only get whenever he looks at her. Then he gets closer to her again.

“I wonder that too,” they hug tightly. “How about we meet tomorrow morning for breakfast, just the two of us,” he says lightly caressing her back as she does the same thing to him.

They pull a bit apart their arms still wrapped around each other.

“Think we’ll actually eat breakfast?”

Dawson half laughs at that comment and then answers.

“We can try,” is all he says as he bends down to kiss her letting their mouths linger on one another’s. “And,” he mumbles still kissing her lightly, “how about if we go out to dinner tomorrow night as well?”

He moves back to look at her face and he’s taken back at seeing that one look, the one that has always only been his.

“I think that can be arranged,” Joey says, looking in to each other’s eyes as they both smile in the same way.

They disengage from their embrace yet once again. She reaches up to touch his face and Dawson takes her hand and gently kisses it, then leans down to kiss her passionately.

Just then, his cell phone rings. Dawson groans in frustration as Joey breaks the kiss, half smiling. Dawson looks at the ID in the screen annoyed.

“Hey Peter, I’ll be with you in two minutes, ok?” Dawson says and hangs up, sighing.

“Well, I’ve got a lot to do and it seems that you do to so…,” her voice trails off as he nods her head.

Ethan and Sam, who have been watching the last part of their exchange, now emerge from the shop.

“Dawson, we really do need to get going,” Sam looks at her watch.

“Yeah, I know,” he kisses Joey once more then lets go of her hand.

“Call me tonight,” she says to Dawson.

He walks back over to her once more and stands very close to her hugging her, talking into her hear softly.

“I’ve got a lot going on the next few days so it might not seem that you are my number one priority, but you are.”

“I know,” she smiles confidently secure knowing what they mean to each other, what they’ve always meant to each other.

“I’ll talk to you tonight,” his lips gently brush hers. “I love you,” he whispers as his cell phone rings again. Joey smiles and shakes her head.

“I love you too,” she says, and then she sees as Samantha stops a cab. “And now go, go, leave” she laughs; pushing Dawson away as he finally answers his cell still looking at her.

Joey waves and Dawson watches, as she and Ethan are about to go in to the office building. His only thought is that he wishes that they could spend the rest of the day together.

“Yes, I’m paying attention” Dawson says, snapping out of his private thoughts as he holds the door open for Sam.

Joey turns around in time to see how Dawson holds the door of the cab open for Samantha and then he climbs into the taxi after her, talking in his cell phone. She wishes they could have spent the rest of the day together, but she knows fairly well it is not possible.

But, then again, there is always tomorrow to look forward to.


Renaissance Restaurant, New Orleans.

We see Pacey surveying the kitchen and the work that is being done there as he comes from outside, where everything is ok as well.

(“One last breath” by Creed starts playing in the background)

With a pensive look in his face, he walks to the office in the back and hops in an armchair. Then, he picks up the phone.

Please come now I think I'm falling
I'm holding on to all I think is safe

“Andie?” says the voice on the phone.

Andie smiles, the voice is familiar but hesitant.

It seems I found the road to nowhere
And I'm trying to escape

“Hi Pace, so what’s up?” she replies.

“For a minute there, I wasn’t sure who I was talking,” says Pacey.

I yelled back when I heard thunder
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

It was difficult for Pacey to believe that Andie was now in her residency and well on her way to becoming a doctor. It seemed like an age had passed since she was that perky, fast-talking, yet tragic and classically beautiful high school student who had stolen his heart. Pacey often wondered these days when he talked to her whether that Andie still existed. The Andie of today was still beautiful and perky, but she was also extremely quick and decisive and well, scarily competent.

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

“I’m just calling, because I’m calling. Aren’t you supposed to have your telephone off anyway?” says Pacey, smiling as he gets comfortable in the chair.

Andie’s smile gets broader.

“I’m glad you give me a random thought now and then,” she says. “And yes, I am supposed to have the phone off at work, but lucky you, you caught me on my break”

I'm looking down now that it's over
Reflecting on all of my mistakes

Pacey can hear the noise of the hospital in the background.

“Well, if I called at a bad time, you would tell me, wouldn’t you?”

“Yes, Pacey I would tell you, and I might not even be that nice about it,” says Andie.

I thought I found the road to somewhere
Somewhere in His grace

Pacey can hear the smile in her voice.

“So do you have any free time today?” asks Pacey, “or is it just work, work, work?”

I cried out 'Heaven save me'
But I'm down to one last breath

Andie’s smile vanishes.

“I’m a resident,” she replies, “so by definition my only hobby is sleep now.”

“Really?” says Pacey, both happy and relieved.

“Hey, why do you sound so happy about that?” she chides, her brow furrowing.

And with it let me say
Let me say

“It’s just good to know that our future doctors are being so thoroughly trained,” Pacey laughs. “So you don’t have to go?” asks Pacey.

“No,” replies Andie, “I’m always happy to hear from old friends, even if they are old
boyfriends.” Pacey laughs softly at her comment “I wish I could go somewhere else than here though. I gotta say that the hospital is great, but the cafeteria sucks. I have no time to go anywhere else though. The rest of the places where I could afford lunch are way too far.” she sighs.

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

“That’s too bad. If I was there, I would cook something for you,” states Pacey, a smile lingering in his lips, knowing that in the other side of the line, Andie may be smiling as well. “I just wanted to know if you have heard something else from Capeside. I called Grams and Jack right after talking to you, and he said everything was ok, but I just wanna make sure.”

“Yeah I know, but, you know Jack,” replies Andie, shaking her head. Then she leaves a little laugh out “He can be such a mother hen sometimes. It’s cute really, when Amy had her first fever, he was calling me every hour on the day to ask me what he should do.”

“Well,” says Pacey, “you are the one with the medical degree.”

“Indeed,” says Andie. “I still tease him about it and tell him that if I were truly evil I would have made him promise to give me his next child, since I doubt I will ever have the time to have my owns” continues Andie.

Pacey shakes his head. Some things about Andie were still the same. It was somehow confusing, but also… interesting.

“So are you going back to visit them soon?” he asks.

“Yes,” replies Andie, “during my first break, which I think is next weekend, I’ll be visiting them. I told Jack to pull out the sofa bed for me since I might not do much else than vegetate and play with Amy over at the Potter’s.”

“Excellent,” says Pacey. “I’m thinking about doing the same thing.”

“Vegetate and play with Amy?” teases Andie.

“No, smarty-pants, I’m thinking about visiting Capeside next weekend too,” says Pacey.

“So soon?” questions Andie.

“So soon, what?” replies Pacey.

Sad eyes follow me
But I still believe there's something left for me

“It’s just that I thought you were settling into this whole new life in New Orleans. The last time we talked you were telling me about how much you loved Bourbon Street and its assorted pleasures,” says Andie.

Pacey pauses and thinks about what Andie has just said.

So please come stay with me
Cause I still believe there's something left for you and me

“If you’re asking me if I’m homesick, I’m not, that’s not the reason why I wanna go back to that little town of mine. I’m a big boy. I just need to check in on things in Capeside,” says Pacey, not wanting to go about the truth over the phone, although the impulse to tell Andie everything is strong.

For you and me
For you and me

“Well, even big boys sometimes need to sort things out,” observes Andie.

Why is it that she can still read him after all of these years, wonders Pacey. Pacey lets out a long sigh.

“Okay, when I see you in Capeside next weekend we can discuss this in more detail. Maybe you can prescribe something for it,” adds Pacey with a small smile.

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

“Did I say that I had any prescriptions for you?” retorts Andie, “but I can offer you tea and sympathy.”

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

“That’s the best offer I’ve had all day,” says Pacey, “plus, I would like to spend some time with Amy and Jack and see if I can help them somehow. We are family after all,” finishes Pacey.

maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

“We are indeed,” says Andie, “I can’t say that my trip to Capeside is just for R&R, I worry about them too.”

“Well, then I’ll see you soon,” says Pacey.

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

“McPhee! McPhee!” Andie is being called over the loudspeaker.

“Oh, my break is over and I didn’t even realize!” she exclaims, checking her watch. “Pacey, I gotta go. We’ll talk soon, ok? Thanks for calling” says Andie with a happy smile on her face.

maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

“Bye Andie,” says Pacey softly.

“Bye, Pacey,” says Andie as she hangs up the phone and answers the page.

Please come now I think I'm falling

Pacey looks down at the receiver before placing it back slowly in its place. A little smile shows in his face.

I'm holding on to all I think is safe

He is feeling better already.

New York city. At a location for the Spielberg’s show.

“Dawson this is such a great location for those scenes,” Samantha looks out of the window of the car at the older style building all done in brick.

The driver opens the door and takes her hand then steps aside for Dawson to get out of the car. He looks carefully at the outside of the building briefly taking mental notes of various things that he sees.

He turns around to look at the street before him and then his eyes go upwards and he sees the Empire State building a couple of blocks away. He smiles showing his dimples and as Sam is abut to tell him something, she follows where his eyes are looking and remembers Halloween night with “the gang” up at the top of the building.

“I know what---or should I say who you are thinking about.”

Dawson smiles knowing that he has been caught but it doesn’t matter. “Dawson you just saw her at lunch,” Sam shakes her head half amused, half unable to believe it. “Once I thought all you could ever be able to think about was work. Now I see that that is not the case anymore.” she teases him.

“Well, things change” he smiles at her and then back to the Empire State. He just saw her but spending those days with her just didn’t seem to be enough, no amount of time is ever enough to spend with Joey, the girl that he has always loved in one way or another.

“Well, let’s get moving then that’s what I’m here for to help you get things done well, that and I know how much you love to have me around,” Sam says jokingly hoping to snap Dawson back to a bit of reality, it does.

“Okay, okay let me just finish taking some more notes then we’ll head inside. We are meeting with Mr. Roberts, right?” Dawson asks as he takes a piece of paper from his back pocket and reads the name of the guy.

“Yes, Mr. Roberts, he’s the head master of the bank.” Sam walks up the stair, and watches as Dawson makes some notes in his notepad, looking around the place and more than likely, picturing the better angles and all from where the scenes could be filmed.

“I think this is definitely the place for the opening scene of the show. You know, the first impression is always important”. Sam nods her head and looks around her as well. He is right, this is the perfect place. Putting his head down to make sure that he doesn’t miss the first step going up to the front door of the building. “I’ve heard some other people have asked before to film in here, but they didn’t get it. Now, we need to change that. So we better get in there and make sure we get out of here with all the permits”

“You bet” she says as his cell phone rings.

A security guard meets them shortly after they walk in the front door asking why they are there and whom they need to see. As Sam answers the questions, we can hear Dawson in the background giving instructions to someone over the phone.

The security guard uses a two-way radio to call the head master’s office to make sure that they have an appointment. Once they have been confirmed, they are given directions to the office.

As they arrive at the office Dawson finally hangs up.

“We haven’t even started and the leading lady is already having requests,” he complains, and Sam rolls her eyes.

The secretary informs them that Mr. Roberts is in a meeting but that he should be available soon as they had an appointment. Sitting on rather uncomfortable chairs, Dawson can’t help but to chuckle.

“What?” Sam looks at him a bit puzzled.

“Didn’t you ever do something bad in school and you got called to the principal’s office?”

Sam laughs lightly, “Uh, now that you mention it yeah I did,”

Dawson looks at her not too sure if he is surprised.

“Don’t look so surprised Dawson,” she nudges him knowing that he must have a few secrets himself.

“Oh, I’m not surprised because of that, but just surprised that you would admit it,” he laughs.

At that moment, the door opens and a lady walks out of the office. The secretary promptly rings the head master announcing the fact that Mr. Leery and his associate have arrived.

The door of the office opens, and a man in his early 50’s stands causing Dawson and Sam to walk towards him.

“Mr. Leery,” the man extends his hand to Dawson and they shake hands as he introduces Samantha.

“Samantha Copper, one of the head writers for the show”.

“Nice to meet you too Ms. Cooper. Please come on in. Sit down make and yourself comfortable. Is there anything I can get you two?” He motions to his secretary who is standing in the doorway.

“Oh no, we just ate lunch we’re fine,” he looks over at Sam for confirmation.

Mr. Roberts motions to his secretary to leave them alone and she closes the door.

“So, I understand you want to use our bank as a location for your show. Is that correct?”

Dawson begins to nod, “Yes Mr. Roberts, we would. I’ve been looking for just the right location and this is perfect. It would set the tone of mystery and uncertainty we want to transmit in the beginning”

Dawson states firmly and then beams, glancing around. Then his eyes go back to the head master’s face. Mr. Roberts smiles.

“Nothing has ever been filmed in here, and I thought about saying no, but… I have a confession,” he says rather softly.

“When you called and asked for a meeting so that you could see if our bank would be right for a location for your show, I was well…” his voice trails off for a minute but is interrupted by a ringing sound. “Excuse me just a minute,” he picks up the phone and listens to what the person has to say on the other end.

“Sure, send her in,” he agrees with the person on the other end of the phone.

The door open and a young lady about 15 walks in to the room and smiles widely as she sees Dawson. Mr. Roberts stands and goes over to greet the young lady giving her a quick hug,

“Dad!” She says rather annoyed and shrugs a bit away from him.

“Mr. Leery, Miss Cooper, this is my daughter Grace.”

Dawson smiles warmly, seeing the anxious expression at the girl’s face.

“You can call me Dawson and this is Samantha.” He says as he reaches out his hand towards her and she shakes it. The teenager smiles widely at him, then lowers her eyes slightly embarrassed. She loves his show and had been planning a few things to tell him about it, but now she doesn’t know what to say. Samantha notices the pink in her cheeks and smiles knowingly.

“Mr. Roberts you were going to say something before the phone rang?” she asks, trying to switch the attention from the girl.

“Oh, yes,” he looks at Sam then down at his daughter whose eyes are bright and shiny. “I was just going to say that my daughter really enjoys your show.”

Dawson watches as the young girl nods her head.

“Really? What do you like the most about it?” Dawson asks, curious.

“I love the friendship. How everybody seems to be there for everybody. And I… you know, I have my Dawson too” she says, and she blushes furiously as she looks at her father, who raises his eyebrows but says nothing.

Dawson smiles and nods.

“I’m glad you like it. Thanks for watching”

“And,” Mr. Roberts begins to add, “I’ve been known to watch a few episodes myself and I must say Mr. Leery, uh…Dawson, that your show is a refreshing change to so much of what is on television today.”

Sam watches as Dawson’s smile grows wider and proud.

“Thank you very much Mr. Roberts.”

“Well, we don’t want to hold you up. I am sure you have things to do.” Roberts says as he walks to his desk and hands Dawson the promised permissions.

“Actually, we need to do some looking around inside and outside the bank.” Dawson says, taking the papers Mr. Roberts is handing him. “If that is okay then we’ll be on our way here in an hour with some equipment to shoot some footage.”

Mr. Roberts walks towards the door, and then he turns to shake Dawson’s hand, then Samantha’s.

“I know, I read it in the filming dates you enclosed with the contract. We are ready for it.”

“Thanks once again Mr Roberts. And Grace,” Dawson looks at the girl, who looks at him expectantly “maybe you would like to see some of the shooting once we’re here with the real crew and actors, what do you say?” he asks.

Grace’s eyes go wide and she nods her head happily. Mr Roberts puts his hands over her shoulders and smiles at Dawson with gratitude, knowing he has made one of her daughter’s wishes come true, and saving him the pain of having to ask him personally about it later as he intended to do.

“Good, we have a deal then.” Dawson says.

They exchange some more goodbyes and as they walk down the hallway of the school, Samantha looks at him with a smile in her face.

“You really know how to get them into your pocket, huh?”

Dawson just smiles as they pass in front of the security guy, who nods at them.

“A few years in Hollywood gave me some practice,” Dawson says as they walk out of the building and into the New York evening.

After this, we see a few shots of the New York City, first in the evening, then as the night falls down, that fades to...

Downtown New York City, early night.

Ethan is walking leisurely down the street, people watching and window-shopping. Just killing some time during his afternoon. Thinking back to his conversation with Joey, talking about being in love or having someone special in your life, he stops and fishes around in his jacket for his cell phone, smiling as he dials a familiar number.

“Hello?” a woman’s voice says, slightly strained.

“Sam? Is everything alright?” Ethan asks.

“Oh yeah hi, I dropped some paperwork on the floor,” she sighs, laughing a bit.

“Well I think that’s the perfect place for it, now you can listen attentively to our impending conversation,” he smiles, hearing her giggle a bit on the other end. “So how was your day?”

“Good, working on locations in New York to shoot the show, catching up with Dawson a bit, nothing overly strenuous or exciting,” Sam laughs. “Yours?”

“Not bad, catching up with Joey, working on some open-ended projects that have been taking up way too much space on my desk, the usual,” Ethan smiles, stopping to sit on a bench in the park.

“So is she as chipper and have the disgusting ‘I’m-madly-in-love’ face too?” Sam asks, looking over in the other office to see Dawson grinning like a kid.

“Oh yeah, big time,” Ethan says, rolling his eyes a bit. “I swear if she floats as if a cloud carries her around the city.”

“Sounds like Dawson too,” Sam says, shutting her office door. “It’s kind of sweet though, seeing that things worked out between them, kind of gives you hope.”

“Hope? For your Prince Charming?” he asks slyly.

“Well yeah, I mean Dawson and Joey finally have their fairy tale ending, they’re together again and happier than I’ve ever seen him before, gives me hope for my own future,” she smiles.

“Well Snow White would you like to join your fairy tale Prince Charming for dinner and maybe drinks this evening?” Ethan asks happily.

“Snow White? Is that you think of me to be?” she says coyly.

“I was going to go with Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, but I wasn’t sure if you had a preference or not,” he smiles.

“And if you had to choose between the two?” she asks, anxious to hear his answer.

“Well both had unparallel beauty, so you can easily match both of them there. Cinderella had a wicked stepmother and evil stepsisters, which I don’t think applies to you. Sleeping Beauty had a curse put on her from birth, which also doesn’t apply to you, but they both looked stunning in ball gowns and easily lit up a room, which you do too,” Ethan says, almost seeing Sam swoon and blush on the other end of the phone. “So I guess it’s a draw.”

“Hmm well I’ll have to choose Cinderella then because I’m not a fan of apples or have seven dwarfs running around like Snow White,” she giggles.

“I was hoping you would choose that one anyhow,” he laughs, both silent for a minute.

“So you didn’t answer my question Cinderella, feel like putting on the glass slippers and joining me for a drink?” he asks, hearing her giggle again. “I promise you’ll be home by midnight.”

“Hmmm I think my fairy godmother could give me an extension on that curfew but yes, I would love to meet up with you later,” she smiles, brushing her hair behind her ears.

“Okay then, give me a call when you’re leaving the office and we’ll set something up,” he says, standing up again, beginning to walk.

“Deal, should I get the ball dress and pumpkin carriage ready to meet you?” she asks.

“Well I can never say no to a carriage ride, but I think no matter what you wear you’ll look beautiful, I’ll talk to you later,” he says quickly, trying to get the last word.

“Bye,” she says softly, replacing the phone in the cradle before squealing out loud and falling back in the chair, grinning ear-to-ear.


Dawson’s loft, at night.

Dawson opens the door of the loft and passes a hand through his hair, yawning. It’s been a long day. After filming some testing shoots at the bank, he had to meet the Public Relations team to work on advertisements and give his blessing to the promotion campaign of the show, all of it while calling Spielberg back and forth in his cell.

(“In the name of love” by Mary Chapin Carpenter starts playing in the background)

Tossing the keys to a near table, he walks to the kitchen area. Opening the fridge, he takes a bottle of juice and pours himself a glass of it. He already ate in the office. Leaning on the dishwasher, he takes a look around the place. His gaze falls over some book’s reviews magazines that Joey left there the other day and are now in his sofa. He smiles and then realizes what is wrong. The place feels… empty.

It's the spell that can't be broken
It's your breath upon my neck
It's the words I long to tell you but haven't yet

He checks the hour in his watch and a doubtful expression shows in his face. He misses Joey, but maybe it is too late to call. Almost eleven. They already talked about one hour ago anyway. She called from the office to tell him she was done and ask how he was doing.

“Now she must be back home and sleeping.” Dawson thinks as he sips of his juice and then leaves the glass in the kitchen bar.

It's the need to see you constantly
And the need to be alone
Just to balance out what's left of me
And what's too far gone

Sighing, he takes off his coat and walks to the stairs when someone knocks on the door. Dawson walks over there and looks through the peephole. He looks surprised but pleased.

What if the night complied, bringing you to my door
What if I let you in, baby, isn't that what the night is for?

“Hey!” Joey smiles at him from the frame door, looking a little embarrassed

“I thought we were meeting tomorrow for breakfast?” he asks with a big grin in his face, taking her hand and walking her inside the loft.

In the name of love there's nothing that I would not do
In the name of love I'd lose myself to find you
In the name of love.....

“Yeah, but after talking to you and deciding to do some more work, and then when I got into the cab and the driver asked me for my address… I gave him yours.” She laughs and shrugs her shoulders, taking off her coat at the same time as Dawson closes the door. “My feet have this annoying habit to lead me wherever you are. I always thought that your house was my northern star. But it wasn’t the house. It was you,” she says as she leans on him, tilting her head as her eyes are fixed in his lips.

It's the prayer I send up daily for some courage and some pride
When your hand brushes my shoulder and our eyes collide
It's the smallest of seductions and the quietest of lures

“Just when I think I couldn’t fall in any deeper…“ Dawson laughs softly, and kisses her sweetly.

After the kiss, they both have huge silly, happy grins in their faces as their foreheads rest against each other in what now seems an ancient gesture of them. “I still can’t quite believe that we are here,” Dawson says.

“Me neither. This by far, is not as different to the fantasy as I thought,” she laughs softly.

And I'm all at once an innocent in the big bad world
But what if the night conspired, bringing you to my door
Why should I turn you away now, I don't want to wait anymore

“That’s good I guess. But let’s just wait a few more months” he laughs as Joey elbows him. “So you’ve been working until now?”

They walk to the kitchen area hand in hand and Joey puts a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Yeah. But I can proudly state that I am now almost updated with job” she says, taking an apple that Dawson offers her in silent and biting it.

“Almost” Dawson laughs.

“Yeah, almost.”

“You work way too much,” Dawson says.

“Look who is talking,” Joey replies as she flickers one eyebrow.

In the name of love there's nothing that I would not do
In the name of love I'd lose myself to find you
In the name of love.....

She is leaning on one side of the counter, her elbows propping her arms up, her chin resting in one hand, the other one holding the apple. Dawson leans on the other side, resting his crossed arms in the counter as well, they both face-to-face, looking at each other with goofy smiles as Joey bites her apple once more.

“I’ll develop the rest of road trip pictures tomorrow. I can’t wait to see them” he smiles at her.

“I can’t believe you almost told Audrey about that, by the way”

Dawson laughs. “I swear I wasn’t going to say nothing!”

“A-ha” she takes another bit of the apple, “Sure,” she mumbles, her mouth full, and grinning at him. Dawson leans in playfully and nuzzles her neck, making her giggle.

A cell phone rings.

“Yours or mine?” Dawson inquires, resting his forehead in her shoulder defeated. Are they always going to be interrupted by phone calls now?

“Mine” Joey says, her eyebrow furrowed when she sees who is calling. Dawson looks at her expectantly. “Bessie? How come you’re calling this late?”

Dawson’s interest is perked when he hears Bessie’s name.

“Oh, I see.”

“I bet.”

“A-ha.”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Actually, I’m at his place right now” she says, looking at Dawson who looks back at her, suspecting what this all must be about.

“Sure, will do”

“Bye Bess, thanks for calling”

She hangs up and Dawson has a worried expression on his face.

“Amy, right?” he inquires.

Joey nods her head, placing the rest of the apple in the table.

“Should we call him?” she asks, glancing at her watch.

“I think so. I bet is not being easy for him to find sleep right now”.

Quickly searching in her cell’s menu, she finds Jack’s number and presses the call button.

“Hey there Jack”

“Yeah, I know, Bessie just called. I’m sorry we didn’t call sooner.” She smiles sadly.

“Yeah, you could say that”.

“How are you doing?” Joey nods her head, a sad expression in her face.

“So what are you gonna do next?”

“Yeah, I understand. Work is good to take your mind off things”

Dawson starts making gestures to indicate her he wants to speak with him as well.

“Look, Dawson is here as well, he wants to talk to you, ok?”

“You too Jack, take care as well.”

With that, she passes the cell to Dawson.

“Hey there Jackers” he smiles softly at Jack’s reply, then he just listens for a couple of minutes as Jack speaks.

“And how is Grams doing?” Dawson nods his head. “That’s good to hear.”

“Listen, I think we may be able to go to Capeside in the weekend, if that works for you.” He looks at Joey for confirmation. Joey nods her head eagerly.

“No, is not trouble at all, trust me. We wanted to go anyway” He smiles, still looking at Joey.

“No, we’re not going to be rubbing our bliss to anyone’s face.”

“Yeah, we’ll fill you in, don’t worry” Dawson laughs softly “and we’ll do that as we take Amy for a walk.”

“Ok, see you in the weekend then”

“You too”.

He hangs up the phone and passes it to Joey. She places it in the counter and they both remain silent for a moment.

But when the darkness fades, giving way to morning light
You will find me gone, to carry on the lonely fight

“Sometimes growing up sucks,” Joey says.

“Yeah, I guess that when you do, things are never the same” < a beat > “This is not the end of the world though. There has to be a way,” he adds, and Joey smiles at him.

“Always the optimist”.

Dawson smiles back and suppresses a yawn.

“Well, this optimist really need some sleep” he says, taking her hand “What do you say? Are you staying?”

In the name of love there's nothing that I would not do
In the name of love I'd lose myself to find you

“Did I ever say no to a sleepover at Dawson Leery´s?”.

“Truth is, no, you never did”

In the name of love.....

Smiling, Dawson walks around the counter and Joey reaches out her arm to him, putting it around his waist as he places his around her shoulders. Slowly, chatting, we see them walk upstairs, Joey resting her head in his shoulder and Dawson kissing the top of her head.

CREDITS.