Login     Help

7.13 - Never the same by Renae, Deb, Jessica, Kayden

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
(Author’s notes: Thanx Mich for all of her advice regarding Dawson’s work in the Spielberg project. It was also her idea to make it a TV show instead of a movie, so… just giving the credit to who the credit needs to be given *grin* )

TEASER – Dawson’s loft, N.Y

(“Times like these” by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, is playing in the background)

It opens with a pan across an apartment, starting with the living room, some beer bottles out on the coffee table along with issues of InStyle and Vanity Fair. As we pan across the somewhat messy apartment, the sound of laughter from a man and a woman can be heard in the background, but what they’re saying is not distinguishable.

Raise the window listen to the rain

Finally it ends in the bedroom, the sheets on the floor and the camera pans up to see Dawson and Joey getting ready to make his bed.

I'll be your pillow rest your head on me again

“Joey, you can’t pull that corner so tight,” Dawson sighs, pulling a bit on his end of the fitted sheet.

Here in the darkness let the lightnin' flash our room

“Dawson you want to make sure the sheet fits tight, otherwise it’ll move and slide when you sleep,” Joey says firmly, tugging back on the sheet.

& smell the rain it's in the air like sweet perfume

“Jo, if this sheet is fit any tighter, one of us will bounce when we hop into bed,” he smiles, seeing her blush a bit.

Make sure the cat's in don't worry 'bout the dog

“Okay how about this, we’ll compromise a bit, my side can be tight but we’ll leave you a little room on your side,” Joey says, hopping onto the bed so he has to look up at her.

We'll let it rain on him throw another log on the fire
I live for times like this

“Deal,” he says, swatting at her so they can finish what they’re doing. They continue to make the bed in silence, both complimenting one another and working in sync.

Wind blows the trees & they make shadows on the wall

“We’re good at this,” she smiles, pulling his comforter on the bed.

Cool midnight breeze feel it coming through the hall

“What?” He asks, grabbing for the pillows.

Earthquakin' thunder shakes the roof over our heads

“This, domestic stuff, making the bed,” Joey says, tossing him another pillow.

Sleep taking wonder keeps us turnin' in our bed

“Too bad it doesn’t translate into other parts of the apartment, have you seen my living room Jo? It’s covered with girl stuff you keep leaving here and it’s a mess,” Dawson says mock-seriously.

The rainy weather washed away all of our cares
I live for times like this
I live for times like this

“Well okay we can branch out into domesticity in other rooms, but still, this…feels nice,” she grins and he nods, crawling over to kiss her softly on the lips. They continue to kiss a bit until the phone rings and Dawson pulls away, groaning.

“Hey mom what’s up?” he says, tossing Joey the remaining things to put on the newly made bed.

Joey moves to the bathroom to brush her teeth, hearing Dawson chat briefly with his mother. Hearing him hang up the phone, she moves back to his bedroom, seeing a sad look on his face.

“What’s up?” she asks.

“Mom just called to tell me that Social Services is giving Amy to Bessie and Bodie to look after until Jack can get this whole thing figured out,” Dawson says sadly.

Joey sighs and joins him on the bed, resting her head on his shoulder.

(Music of credits starts playing)

“Bessie commented something about it to me right before I left for L.A. I said it was a good idea. But still, I can’t believe it,” she sighs.

“Me too, how did all of this get so messed up so quickly?” he asks rhetorically.

“At least he knows and trusts who is looking after her, it could be worse,” she says, glad that her sister and no one else who is taking care of Jen´s baby.

“Yeah but it could be better too,” Dawson says flatly. “It didn’t have to be like this to begin with. And I’m just worried about what happens next,” he sighs.

“What do you mean?” she asks, lifting her head up to look at him, slightly confused.

“Well what does Jack do now?” Dawson says, showing his palms up. “He’s going to fight to get her back, but what if he can’t? What if he loses the one thing his best friend left him when she died? It would kill him. I know it would kill me to fail my best friend like that,” Dawson says, caressing Joey’s face. Joey takes his hand in hers and smiles at him weakly.

“I know, but all we can do now is hope for the best and be there in any way we know how,” Joey says, as the two remain pensive still sitting in the bed.

OPENING CREDITS


A venue in downtown, New York.

Samantha is standing outside an office building, the chilly wind rustling her hair as she looks down the street, then at her watch. She watches the cars pass quickly by and slips off into her own world. Hearing a cab pull up to the curb, she watches the two people step out of the cab and go hand in hand in to the office building. She smiles softly as she thinks of Ethan and his charming smile.

A hand on her shoulder snaps her back to reality. She whirls around to find Dawson standing behind her a bit out of breath.

"You're late," she states tapping her foot against the ground with a rather serious look on her face.

He looks at her for only a second and then opens his mouth to speak but is stopped by Samantha lifting her hand up to silence him. She begins to smile and giggle lightly breaking the tension, and Dawson realizes that she is only joking about being late and upset.

"My watch says 9 a.m. on the dot so I'm neither late nor early."

"There was a time Mr. Leery that you were always early; so, what has changed," she says watching him smile and knowing exactly what has changed.

"So how is it? To get the girl of your dreams?" She inquires watching his face turn a bit flushed.

"You're really going to have a good time with this aren't you?"

He looks her in the eye knowing that this is just good fun and he keeps playing along.

"I think I can guess how it is anyway. You look like someone sprinkled fairy dust all over you," she giggles then begins to pull something out of her purse.

"Fairy dust? I may look like a lot of things but I don't think someone has sprinkled fairy dust on me." He says, laughing and shaking his head as they begin walking.

"You're glowing Dawson," she nudges him slightly in the side. "See, take a look," she hands him the mirror that she pulled out of her purse.

“Oh come on,” he complains, throwing his head lightly back in a “you-don’t-expect-me-to-really-look-at-myself-in-that-mirror” fashion.

“I’m serious” she laughs, “just look at you”.

Dawson sighs as he takes the mirror and looks in to it realizing that maybe she is right. He hands the mirror back to her and half laughs, "Okay I'll give you glowing but fairy dust---uh no."

They finally reach the building when Dawson turns around, "Why were you waiting outside?"

"Oh, I wanted to make sure that the car that is going to take us to the location today didn't get here and then leave without us, thinking that we weren't here."

"I see. But let's go wait inside the lobby," Dawson holds the door open for her and they both go inside, sitting down on a bench just inside so that they can still see outside.

"Seriously though Dawson you look really happy and I'm happy for you."

Dawson nods his head and pauses for just a second, "You know I've always had all of these dreams to make movies, meet Spielberg, to make people feel what I've always felt when I watched movies… but what I feel right now can't compare to that. The last few days with Joey have been all that I could have ever dreamed and so much more. Not even fireworks and waves crushing in a distant shore can compare” he smiles, remembering similar lines he said many years ago to another friend.

“By the way” he continues “Joey told me you were the one who got her inside the set and I never get to thank you for it. So thank you”

“Oh please, no problem. I’m just glad I got there in time to avoid happening anything truly worst. I swear it looked as if Joey was going to jump at poor Ben’s throat at any moment” Samantha laughs “She has quite a temper, doesn’t she?"

“Oh yes” Dawson laughs along, “she does”.

Just then, his cell phone rings. “Excuse me” he stands up and answers the phone. “Yeah, we’re here, waiting for the ride. The last locations are about to be ready, signing the permits today and making some screening test later today. I need you to do something…"

Samantha just smiles at Dawson’s enthusiasm while speaking with whom she assumes must be Robert, the other executive producer. Dawson has always been like that when it comes to work, but now he is even more, and the reason of why is clear. She wonders if she will ever be that lucky. Her thoughts go to Ethan once again, and her smile grows wider.

Then her eyes glance outside just as their ride pulls up to the curb.


Pacey´s Unit – New Orleans

Reaching up, Pacey tugs out a knot in the phone cord and leans back a little further in his chair. His face is relaxed and a teasing smile plays around his lips as he prepares to settle into the conversation. As he listens, his expression slowly changes and his brow furrows in disbelief.

“What? – You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Pacey chews on his thumbnail trying to make sense of the news he has just heard.

“So let’s get this straight. Jack’s losing Amy to foster care today because no one thinks he’s a responsible father.”

“Well, it sounds that bad to me. I mean trial period or not, there’s a real chance he’s not going to get her back. Does anyone know exactly where she’s going?”

Pacey leans forward in the chair, shoulders hunched with worry.

“Really? Bessie and Bodie?” He straightens a little in surprise. “I guess that’s something.”

“No, I’m glad you called. It meant a lot that you thought to let me know Andie. How are you coping with the news?”

A short chuckle escapes Pacey´s throat.

“Always optimistic. Hang on in there for Jack and Grams.”

“Ok, talk to you soon.”

“Yeah you too, take care”

Slowly replacing the receiver, Pacey sits staring at the wall. He smiles, surprisingly pleased that it was Andie who thought to call and let him know about Amy. He reflects on that brief moment they shared in the Capeside´s hospital before Jen… and his words to her. After that, they talked a couple of times, but it was since they met again in Christmas that he could truly say that she was back in his life. His friend Andie. The first one, as he said to her, the one who always managed to convey in some way the value she placed on him as a person and friend. She still does.

Though his mind longs to follow this train of thought, Pacey is soon overwhelmed by the seriousness of the news of Amy’s transfer into foster care. He remembers Jen’s tear-streaked face and his heartfelt promise to her that Amy would always be loved. Every Saturday night, even in New Orleans, he would think of Amy with a smile and give her a call from her much-loved Uncle Pacey. Also, it felt good to have someone to look after to. Someone as little, as sweet, and as precious as Amy.

With an audible sigh and a brush of his hand across his moist eyes, he, again, reaches for the phone, quickly dialing a familiar number.

“Hi Grams. It’s Pacey here.” Pacey pauses for a moment, making a conscious effort to lighten the tone of his voice.

“No, everything’s okay here. I was really more interested in how you and Jack are going. Umm, Andie just called with the news about Amy.”

At Gram’s reply, Pacey shakes his head softly with a half smile.

“I’m sure the good Lord is with you, but would you like any human company? I mean I could get away for a few days.”

“You sure?”

“Alright then and yes, I would like to speak to Jack.”

Pacey waits, drumming his fingers lightly on the arm of the chair.

“Hi Jack. Listen man, I just heard about Amy and I wanted to let you know I’m here for you all. I can come up there for a couple of days if for some weird reason you need me.” Pacey laughs softly, trying to lighten up the moment.

“Yeah, I mean it. It might help having some extra friends around.”

“Are you sure you don’t need me up there?”

“Ah, ok.”

Pacey leans forward.

“Just so you know Jack, I think you are the only real dad for Amy. Never lose sight of that.”

“I’ll catch up soon.”

Resting the phone back in its cradle, Pacey stands and takes the few short steps to the dining table in the corner of the living room. He picks up a half eaten turkey on rye and taking a bite as he looks thoughtfully around his surrounds while he chews. His eyes take in the sparse furnishings and bare walls. The initial glamour and heady excitement of a new dream, the dream of a restaurant in New Orleans, seems empty and stale compared to the very real issues his friends are facing in Capeside.

Pacey clenches a fist in frustration, aware in the moment that he has always been one to take the initiative, to leap to the defense of another. He feels the discomfit of being alone in this city when his friends are fighting their own battles without his physical support.

His eyes stray to a battered photo of his Capeside friends pinned up near the refrigerator, faces alight and eyes gleaming with hope and confidence. Pacey smiles and then his face clouds in uncertainty as he glances down at the dining table where a pile of menu proposals lie demanding his attention.

The camera pans away as he again looks at the photo.

The Editing Company, Joey’s work, New York.

The elevator doors open and Joey steps out, walking with a goofy grin on her face and a confident stride in her walk. Smiling politely to the receptionist and everyone she passes, she can’t wipe the grin off of her face, unable to stop thinking about Dawson and how lucky she is.

Humming a tune, she drops her briefcase off at her desk and sits down, throwing her hair over her shoulder and moving things around while she prepares to begin working. Unbeknownst to her, Ethan saw her come in and moves with a sly smile on his face over to her.

“Hey there Glowy,” he says, seeing her stop humming and look at him funny.

“Glowy? What’s that?” she says with a smile.

“I’m referring to the glow that seems to be permanently stamped on your cheeks since you returned from Los Angeles. Jo, you’re like a nightlight!” he laughs, seeing her smile and shake her head.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she says slyly.

“Joey you’re floating okay? You’re floating in and out of the office, you have this I’m-madly-in-love-with-the-man-of-my-dreams look on your face, and it’s undeniable!” Ethan states.

“I don’t think it’s that extreme Ethan but yes, I have very good reason to be happy,” she smiles, her big grin and the sparkle in her eyes betraying her comment.

“And that reason is that you got the guy,” he laughs.

“Yes I did, I do! I got the man of my dreams!” she says, finally laughing and letting all her happiness explode. Ethan can’t help but smile. “This still just seems so crazy, everything happening so fast yet so slow.” She adds as an afterthought.

“How’s that work?” he asks confused.

“Well Dawson and I getting back together and then being this couple, it’s happening so quickly but at the same time it took us so long to get here, years in fact,” Joey sighs happily. “Years of angst and hurt and denial and anger and it finally brought us here…after all this time there’s still this feeling of being 15 and madly in love for the first time.”

“You’re 15 again?” Ethan laughs.

“No, of course not. It’s just a figure of speech. I wouldn’t want to go back there and go through all the confusion and hurt again. But the feeling is like being fifteen again. You know, that feeling of invincibility and that everything is suddenly so much more beautiful and clear because you’re seeing everything like new because you’re in love for the first time and you had never felt like that, with the world and your life so full of possibilities and things to do and say and…” Joey swoons. “I’m sorry you probably think I’m completely crazy.”

“No I don’t think you’re crazy,” he says, watching her reaction a little amused as she speaks, but also reminiscent of how when the last time he felt like that. Long, long ago. And with no happy ending at all. But Joey can’t know any of that, so he lets her go on with her happy chatting.

“You know as much as I thought we were just destined to be friends and nothing more, part of me also knew he was it, that this was exactly where I belonged,” she smiles.

“So what kept you two apart for so long, if you knew it was so right?” Ethan asks.

“Time, maturity, circumstances, other people. Ourselves,” she adds. “It was never a matter of us not wanting one another because deep down I think we always did, but nothing really fit together until now, just like when he kissed me for the first time. It was like POOF all the cards fell right into place and I knew we couldn’t be without one another. And after all this time, it was still so simple. He only had to hold my hand on top of the Empire State” she smiles, remembering that night. “I know it’s still the ‘honeymoon’ period but it’s more than that, it’s real,” Joey sighs, turning one of the pictures of her and Dawson taken during the road trip that is on her desk to face her better. “I really haven’t felt like this for so long, where I can’t stop thinking about him or wanting to be with him all the time. And I’ve never longed for anyone’s kisses as much as I’ve longed for his. Even now, after realizing I was in love with him. The rest of the guys usually fell too hard and too fast for me. Before I knew it, they were already kissing me. But with Dawson it was never that way. I had to wait for years when I was a teenager, and then for a whole summer when he parted to L.A for summer classes. And do you know the first time he kissed me it wasn’t me but a replica of my head?” she laughs.

“What? Ok, I got lost there”

“We were fifteen. He was worried about kisses and stuff because he wanted to kiss a friend of ours” her face softens at the mention of Jen “And we were filming a movie called ‘Sea creature from the deep.’ He won an award for it, his first one” she can’t help but add, and Ethan arches his brows containing a smile at the pride in her voice “Anyway,” she adds, waving her hand, “in there, my head was ripped off” Ethan laughs and Joey nods her head, assuring him she is not joking. “So Dawson had a replica of my head made of plastic and his father decided to teach him to kiss using my head. I was upstairs, and I was so anxious for him to kiss me, I was longing so bad for his kisses, that as he kissed my head”, she closes her eyes as she explains it “I closed my eyes and imagined it was me who he was kissing”. She smiles and then opens her eyes with a dreamy look in her face.

“That’s some story,” Ethan laughs, leaning back on her desk.

“Yeah, I know” she smiles at him.

“Well you want to know what I think?” Ethan asks, seeing her look anxiously for his reaction. “I think, no, I know I’ve never seen you glow like this before when talking about a guy or have this look in your eyes,” he smiles warmly. “I’m just glad I never felt any kind of attraction toward you, because competing with something like that might be hard, and sooner or later… things always go back to the way they must be, which might not leave a very good taste in your mouth.”

“Yes, I know that well.” And for a moment, Pacey´s words during prom in high school about how she made him feel like nothing crossed her mind. She always wondered how much of her past with Dawson and her bond with him, something that Pacey could never achieve, were reflected in his anger. “I guess what Dawson and I felt for each other always affected other people along the way as well. Even when we really wanted to be with that other person, in the end… it just was not possible. It is always going to be Dawson and me, one way or another. So yeah, I guess our respective partners would have always gotten tired of that eventually” she ends up softly, and Ethan just looks at her.

“So this Dawson must truly be something special. I knew it since the moment you introduced him to me, and later when I saw you interacting in that cocktail party, remember?”

Joey nods and smiles. “And yes, you’re right; he is, he is someone very special” Joey breaths, then she pats Ethan’s arm playfully. “Now go away and let me get back to work so I can get out of here at a reasonable hour and see my boyfriend.”

“Oh so now that you have a boyfriend, you suddenly can’t take the time out of your day to chat with me,” Ethan says dramatically, waving his hands. “Oh my goodness Joey, please give me five minutes out of your very busy day to acknowledge me and make time for me, your co-worker and friend.”

“Get out of here,” she laughs, shooing him away.

“Whatever Ms. Potter, make sure to say hi to your boyfriend for me,” Ethan says loudly, laughing as he leaves, leaving Joey shaking her head with a smile in her face behind him.


Jack’s living room, Capeside.

Jack is sitting in the couch, his briefcase placed by his side. He was at work, but once there he realized he couldn’t concentrate and asked for a break to go home and spend the day there. The school director, a gentle woman, gave him permission with no problem, and even scolded him a little because he hadn’t asked for it sooner.

So there he is now. At home, trying to make the best of the remaining of the day, thinking over the things that are supposed to happen later in the day.

"I can't believe that we're just supposed to hand Amy over today like we're returning merchandise to the store,'" Jack sighs and runs his hands through his hair.

"It's not like that Jack." Grams balances Amy on her lap.

"I know, but that's how it feels." Jack lets his gaze rest on Amy who is perfectly content to cuddle with her great-grandmother. "She's the most important thing in my life. I want more for Amy than I want for myself. The love I have for her is like nothing I've ever experienced. There just aren't words for it. I never thought being a parent would be like this." He says, leaning forward to coo at the baby lovingly, then he smiles at her response, taking his face in between her hands while mumbling something unintelligible for him. Jack gently rests his forehead in hers, leaving the baby’s hands explore his face.

"No parent can ever truly prepare for the love that comes along with having a child. And your time with Amy isn't over, things will work out.” Grams smiles at the image of Jack and Amy. “Thankfully Amy will be with Bessie and Bodie, don’t you forget that."

Jack straights up and just nods in agreement as he watches Grams play with Amy's hair. Then he smiles.

“I’m happy that you are feeling better Grams. I needed you. Your confidence, your faith, your hopeful words”

“Oh well, it was a crisis” Grams waves the thought off with her hand. “I was feeling guilty because I thought I had failed you and Amy and my Jen. But you were right. It’s anybody’s fault I guess. But I’m having very serious conversations with God yet, until this is resolved. And he better resolves it our way.” Grams says, shaking a menacing finger.

Jack laughs and she smiles, turning her attention to Amy once more.

"I was jealous," Jack breaks the silence after a while.

Grams says nothing but looks up in surprise.

"When I first found out that Jen was having a baby I was jealous," Jack continues. "At first I didn't even know why I felt like that. Then I realized that I might never have that - a family. The person I loved the most was going through this amazing experience and was about to start a whole new chapter of her life and I wasn't going to be a part of it."

Knowing that Jack has more to say, Grams gives him a sympathetic nod.

"It wasn't just that Jen was entering a new phase in her life, it was that I wanted to be entering that phase with her. A part of me wanted Jen to have my baby. She was the person I connected with more than anyone and I wanted to be the one to give her a child, to give her a conventional life. And I knew I couldn't, and I was jealous and upset. Does that make sense?"

"Perfect sense, dear." Grams finds Jack's hand and rests her free hand on his. "The important thing is you two found your own way to love each other."

"There was so much I didn't know then," Jack sighs. "Now I know that a baby is more than the two people that make her."

"Exactly," Grams smiles knowingly as she remembers the parental role that she played in Jen's own life. "A child is a reflection of every person they come into contact with."

"I guess it does take a village to raise a child," Jack half heartedly jokes. "I know that I couldn't have done it without you."

"Yes, dear," Grams smiles. "I'm sure you could have. Thankfully we've both been here."

"I was there when Jen found out she was pregnant," Jack remembers. "When she was scared and alone and didn't know what to do."

"And through the pregnancy as well," Grams reminds him. "There wasn't a day that went by that you didn't call to be updated on Jennifer's condition."

"Sometimes I would call up to four times a day. Jen would finally threaten to unplug the phone." Jack manages a faint smile at the memory. "I was there when Amy was born. The moment I held her in my arms for the first time, I was in love. It was that simple. I made a promise to her that I would be like a father to her and I would always be there. And now -"

"Now you will still be there for her like you've always been." She says as Jack takes a picture of Jen that is on the table. She is holding Amy in her arms, the little girl smiling.

"I saw her first steps, and I was there when she said mama for the first time."

"Ma-ma," Amy repeats proudly as she claps her hands excitedly.

"That's right, sweetie. Mama." Jack says trying to sound cheerful but there are clear unshed tears in his voice, as he shows the pic of Jen to Amy. She eagerly takes it but he has to take it back since she is about to crash it against the table.

“No, no, no honey, don’t do that” Grams scolds her lightly and Amy looks up at her grandma, her fist in her mouth, the pic now forgotten.

Jack smiles at the little girl’s vehemence. Then he just sighs.

"This is only temporary," Grams gently reminds him when noticing his despair. "We're not losing her, Jack. We are going to fight and get through this, that's what families do." She says, patting his hand reassuringly.


Renaissance, New Orleans.

Standing in the restaurant's kitchen with people milling around him, Pacey´s mind is still on Amy.

Thinking of Andie's voice, as she told him about Amy being put in to foster care, just seemed to grate on his nerves. His mind wandered a bit more and in a split second he felt a sharp pain, which caused him to look down to see a cut on his finger.

About that time, Danny passes through the kitchen and sees Pacey holding his hand with a towel.

"Don't tell me your mind's on that pretty blonde girl. You know the one whose picture you carry around in your wallet," Pacey looks at Danny with a blank stare. "So, what'd she do? Cheat on you? Yell at you? What?"

Pacey removes the towel from his hand seeing the damage to his finger, which isn't much, and pulls out his wallet.
"Actually this is the blonde girl that is on my mind"

Pacey tosses the picture over to Danny's side of the counter where he picks it up.

"Isn't she a bit young for you," he smirks which irks Pacey.

"You wouldn't understand," a beat, "but, let me give it a shot," Pacey looks down then up again looking straight at Danny. "This beautiful little girl is being taken from her home. A home that she belongs in and we all promised her mother that we would make sure that we would all help her grow up. She trusted us to make sure that her little girl knew unconditional love and that she was raised by the person that wanted her and now...," his voice trails off.

"Don't sweat it," Danny attempts to pat Pacey on the shoulder but he flinches and moves away.

"Don't sweat it?" He looks at him incredulously and his face shows anger. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you do you a sec," Pacey nods his head wondering why he is even bothering to talk to him at this very minute.

Pacey moves out of the kitchen and go in to the office, Danny following him.

"Listen Pace, I've got this hot little number waiting for me," Brecher motions towards the outer part of the restaurant. "But, my wife is going to be here in a little while and she might be early. Do you think you could entertain her if I don't get back in time? Tell her I had to go to the bank or do an errand."

Pacey stands there and wonders if he heard what he thinks he just heard.

"You want me to cover for you while you go out and..."

"Yeah, I really need this," Danny's eyes go wide as he glares at Pacey whose expression has just changed. “Thanks buddy”.

Still in a bit of a shock, Danny moves quickly out of the room, which gives him no time to respond to Danny's request.
Pacey just stands there utterly stunned and upset, and even disgusted, at what just occurred.


Dawson’s New York office.

Dawson and Samantha are sitting in Dawson’s office, going through paperwork and organizing things for the rest of the day. Taking a moment to remember their conversation earlier about Joey and his relationship, Dawson leans back a watches Samantha for a minute, waiting for the right time to bring up this topic of conversation.

“What? What are you staring at?” Samantha says, seeing Dawson just look at her with a smile.

“So since we talked about me and Joey earlier and how blissfully happy and in love we are, what about you Miss Samantha, is there anything you would like to tell me?” Dawson jokes.

“Nope, don’t know what you’re talking about,” she says sharply.

“Oh really? Nothing going on with Ethan, just friends?” Dawson teases, enjoying her reaction.

“Well no we’re not only friends but we’re not hot and heavy like you and Joey are either,” she says, seeing him smile as he goes through some papers.

“So why don’t you tell me, your boss and former boyfriend or fling, what you guys really are,” he says, leaning back in his chair, reading through the papers but paying attention to Samantha at the same time.

“Well we’re…kinda dating,” she says, sitting in the chair across from him. “It’s not like… official, but we’ve gone out a few times, you know dinner and movie or theater or something. We’re just enjoying each other’s company right now and getting to know one another.”

“Getting to know one another?” Dawson repeats, raising his eyebrow, seeing Samantha conveniently avoiding his eyes.

“Yes, getting to know one another and being around one another, see where it leads,” she says with a smile. “There’s no reason to rush into things and both of us want to take it slow.”

“Well I think it’s great,” he says, leaning forward in his chair. “Good for you guys. I hope everything continues to go well. We’ll even have to double date some time.”

“That’s an idea, if you and Joey can keep your hands off one another!” Samantha laughs, seeing a big grin creep in Dawson’s face.

“I make no promises,” he smiles.

“So somewhat somber change of subject, but how are things with Jack and his baby?” Samantha asks a little concerned, remembering the dark and polite haired man she met in Halloween. Dawson looks at her inquiring how does she know about that. “I’m sorry, I heard you mentioned something about it when you spoke with Joey early in the morning. Something about not being able to reach him because he was in classes or something and saying you were worried”.

“Well, they could be better,” Dawson says honestly. “Amy was put into foster care with Bessie, Joey’s older sister, and her husband, Bodie. They’re taking her today and Jack is going to have to fight like nothing else to get her back.”

“But I thought Jen wanted Jack to raise Amy,” Samantha asks.

“She did, she even put it in her will that Amy was to be left to him, but the whole pneumonia thing and Jack being a single father and gay doesn’t help in small-town Capeside,” Dawson sighs.

“But it’s 2009 Dawson, I’m sure Capeside can grow with the times,” Samantha laughs, seeing his face remain unchanged. “Or not” she adds, more serious now.

“You would hope so Samantha, you really would, but I guess it hasn’t,” he says bitterly. “Not everyone there is as open-minded as we are I guess. They don’t see that despite Jack’s sexuality, he’s a great dad, who loves Amy more than anything and would do anything for her. I mean, the guy is a teacher at a high school, and a good one. He has never given a problem or anything, so what’s the deal? But they choose to look past what could be best for the child.”

“I’m sorry,” she says, seeing the upset look in his eye.

“Yeah, I know you are. Thanks,” he sighs, running his hand through his hair. “So let’s change the subject again.”

“Oh to what?” she asks, seeing the shine in his eye.

“This Ethan guy, is he a good kisser?” Dawson asks, seeing her jaw drop a bit before blushing.

“The best,” she says, raising her eyebrow, both breaking out into laughter.

Joey’s office, the Editing firm.

Joey is glancing down at some manuscripts that have been placed on her desk since she was away and looks at the phone messages that are stuck all over her computer monitor. She has been back for almost a week and still, there are still piles of papers everywhere and it seems like the more work she does, the more there is left to be done.

She sighs as she begins to organize her desk once again and in all of the piles of paperwork and things scattered around it when Ethan gets into the office with some folders in his hands. Joey groans as Ethan happily shakes the folders in front of her, making crystal clear that they’re for her.

“Look at all of this work," Ethan says sitting down in a chair next to Joey's desk.

“I don’t think I can take it,” she half complains, her gaze going almost by reflex to the picture of her and Dawson in her table.

Ethan arches his brows.

"I know where your mind is and let me tell you: if you keep looking at that picture, you’re gonna erode it," Ethan states matter of factly.

Joey just can't help but to smile.

"Yeah, I know" she looks at the picture dreamingly once more then shakes her head when she sees Ethan’s smirk. "So, tell me what have I missed since I've been gone? I’ve been so buried into work lately that I’ve had no time for gossip,” she asks, wanting to change the subject. As she said once, ‘you’ll get everybody’s attention only until someone else does’.

"Nothing much. They fired that guy that kept stealing all of those supplies from the supply room. And, Mr. Caruthers from accounting seems like he's got a thing for one of the girls here and they have been caught in some interesting positions if you know what I mean.” Joey’s eyes go wide and she opens her mouth as if to laugh in a silent gesture “Oh, and I've been dating Samantha." Ethan tries to slip that in as if it was something just casual, but he can’t go away after a comment like that one.

Joey gives him her trademark half smile and then leans back in her chair, satisfied.

"Well, duh, I knew you two would hit it off," she beams at him.

A big grin appears at Ethan’s face as he opens up to her.

"Joey she's just..." his voice trails off as he thinks to pinpoint the exact right word to describe what he thinks, no what he feels about her. Joey listens intently. "Do you ever feel that if you talk about how you feel -- that is how you feel about someone that well, it might mess it up? You know, jinx it?" Joey nods her head in agreement almost speaking but Ethan begins to talk again and she just listens. "I can't believe that I'm thinking this way, it sounds rather juvenile and I don't want to be that way with Samantha", a beat, "I mean I'm not that way with her. But she's just so", another beat, "amazing and I've never met anyone like her."

Joey's mind is whirling with the realization that someone else understands where she has been. Then she pauses to think for a moment: did she really just use those words, 'where she has been', not where she is? She smiles as yes, that is all part of the past now.

Her thoughts return to Ethan as he looks at her for answers to his questions, so she begins to answer them.

"For such a long time I thought that if I breathed wrong or if I even dared to think about Dawson and I being together that something would happen that would, in your words, jinx it. But, you can't think that way because yes, life gets in the way. However, it is up to you how you handle what happens along the way. I will tell you that I haven't been very good at this. Actually I've been pretty bad when it comes to dealing with the happenings of life with Dawson. I've learned that you can't let anything detour what you feel for someone and that you work through it together." Joey closes her eyes and inhales deeply knowing that she has somehow taken another giant leap when it comes to her relationship with Dawson.

"It's hard though, to just let those feelings go because they seem to be rather complicated."

Joey, who had drifted away for a second, is now at a stark attention to what Ethan had just said. She kind of half laughs.

"Don't let it be complicated, it doesn't have to be. But don't make it entirely simple either. I mean, a little of longing, as I said before, can be good. It will only make it more… explosive and amazing when it really happens."

Ethan begins to nod then stops. Once again, he is lost in some events of his past that are still fresh in his mind, even though they happened a few years ago. But actually, coming to think about it, it wasn’t so long ago. Was it?

"How do you not let life get in the way, because it does. I know it does," he says in a reflecting mood. Joey looks at him, sensing that there is something else behind his words, but she says nothing. Whatever it is, is not her business.

"Like I said, experience has taught me that life does get in the way, but if you can work through whatever it is with whomever you’re with, then the power of jinxing it goes away."

Ethan looks at her and marvels at how she has changed during the short time that he has known her, and takes her advice to heart. She speaks a bit quietly now.

"It seems that once again Dawson and I are going to be going through one of those downs that I referred to. Well it isn't exactly a down for us but for someone that we know. But, this time we're talking about it and we're dealing with it. I, often times, think that the things that happen to us indirectly are in some way attempting to teach us something. I'd like to think of this situation with Amy that way." Ethan has been rather silent and Joey looks at him a bit concerned, "Just enjoy what you feel for Sam and don't hold anything back out of fear or whatever. Because who knows she may just end up becoming your best friend… and the best part of your life." She smiles to herself after these words leave her mouth and her eyes lose their focus, as she is lost in a memory.

Ethan shakes his head amused and leaves the office in silent. When he exits, we see a pensive expression in his face.


Inside Jack’s house, Capeside.

(“The one who knows” by Dar Williams, starts playing in the background)

Grams is moving around Amy’s bedroom, making sure all of Amy’s clothing and baby things are already in the suitcases, while Jack is sitting in a rocker with Amy in his lap.

Time it was I had a dream,
and you're the dream come true.

“Grams, we’ve checked it before, and everything is in there,” Jack says, running his fingers through Amy’s curls, the baby falling asleep in his lap.

“I know,” Grams says, “but I just can’t stay without doing something right now.”

If I had the world to give,
I'd give it all to you.

Jack looks up at Grams and sees the look of gut wrenching pain on her face before she turns and goes to Amy’s toy box to retrieve one more of her toys.

“We haven’t lost her completely just remember what you said yourself to me sooner”. Jack says, trying to be him the one to comfort her this time.

I'll take you to the mountains,
I will take you to the sea.
I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.

Grams goes and sits at the foot of the bed, facing him and the now asleep girl. They remain silent for a moment, trying to burn this moment in their memory. The soft breathing of Amy, the weight of her little body in Jack’s lap, the quietness surrounding them.

“While this wasn’t in the plan of how we all wanted things to go, I think in a small way Jen would not be that displeased,” Grams says out of a sudden, as if thinking over it as she speaks.

You'll fly away,
but take my hand until that day.
So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows.

Jack looks up at her.

“What do you mean Jen wouldn’t be displeased?” Jack brow furrows with his question.

“Well,” she ponders, clasping her hands in her lap as she speaks, “Right before she died in the wee hours of the morning we talked quietly and the one thing that she wanted was for all of us to look after Amy and help each other at it. And the way that I see it we are doing that. Bessie and Bodie are going to take care of Amy for a while and they are part of the “us” that Jen was referring to. So, all is not lost we just have to have faith.”

All the things you treasure most
will be the hardest won.
I will watch you struggle long
before the answers come.

“Yeah, that’s true” Jack smiles, somehow relieved and finding some peace at Gram’s words.

“We’ve been through so much over the years, my coming to live with you and Jen after Andie and my dad left Capeside. You, Jen and I moving to Boston to start a new adventure, and, of course, through Jen’s death. Your support means a great deal to me you let me be who I am and that is truly an amazing gift. We’ll get through this just like we’ve always done.”

Grams smiles softly at Jack.

“But we promised her,” he voice trails off. “It may seem that the promise that we made Jen is lost but it isn’t it is just being interrupted for a bit.”

But I won't make it harder,
I'll be there to cheer you on,
I'll shine the light that guides you down
the road you're walking on.

Jack and Grams share a smile as they look at each other. Then Grams´ eyes glance over Amy’s dresser and she ponders something on it. With Jack following her movements, Grams stands up, she goes over the dresser, and she picks up a small music box.

“Jen used to love to hear this play when she was a little girl. When she would come and visit. After kissing her grandfather and myself, she would run up the stairs in to my room and open up the music box and let it play.”

Before the mountains call to you,
before you leave this home,
I want to teach your heart to trust,
as I will teach my own,

Jack stands up and goes over to her, cuddling Amy to his chest.

“Would you like to send this with Amy?” He asks hoping that she says yes which would make him feel better knowing something that Jen adored so much would be going with Amy to help her remember her home right now.

Grams nods several times and hands Jack the music box as Jacks motions for her to take Amy.

But sometimes I will ask the moon where it shined upon you last,
And shake my head and laugh and say it all went by too fast.

“We’ll place it in between some soft things in her suitcase and let Bessie and Bodie know about it,”

You'll fly away,
but take my hand until that day.
So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows.

Jack goes over to the suitcase and begins to place the music box between some of Amy’s clothing. Once nestled in, he closes her suitcase and takes it with him as he goes in to the living room. Jack glances back at the bedroom thinking that he’ll just leave Amy and Grams alone and let them be together.

Renaissance Restaurant, New Orleans.

Pacey is working in the kitchen, slowly cutting something in front of him. He finally stops and runs the back of his hand across his forehead, stopping when he looks up to see Brecher approach him with a goofy smile on his face.

(“I don’t want to be” by Gavin DeGraw starts playing in the background)

“So Pacey I’m heading out for the evening, if the old wife comes as she said she would, tell her I had to leave. If she calls, tell her I’m working in the office and can’t be interrupted. Then we’re hanging out at your place tonight” Danny asks, rubbing his hands together.

I don't need to be anything other
Than a prison guard's son
I don't need to be anything other
Than a specialist's son

“Look Danny I don’t know about this…” Pacey starts, shaking his head. He doesn’t want to be dragged into this kind of situation again.

“What’s the problem here Witter? You seemed cool with it before?” Brecher asks, slightly annoyed.

I don't have to be anyone other
Than the birth of two souls in one
Part of where I'm going, is knowing where I'm coming from

“Actually, you didn’t give me the chance to reply,” he sighs. “I didn’t like that you were cheating on your wife all those years ago and I’m not keen on it now either. I think is wrong”

“Didn’t you have an affair with a married woman?” Danny asks, seeing Pacey hang his head. “See you did it, so why can’t us fellow adulterers stick together?”

“How about because I wasn’t the married one!” Pacey says, trying to keep his voice down so he doesn’t attract attention.

“So? You were still a contributing party man,”

I don't want to be
Anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind

“Well, everybody makes mistakes. Believe me, I have made a few ones and I am well aware of that. The whole point is, once you realize it, not to repeat them anymore.

“Whatever little Buddha” Danny sighs, getting tired of this. “Look yes or no here, are you going to help me out or not? Are you going to just tell a little white lie if the wife calls or not?”

“It’s more than a little white lie Danny, geez, it’s about principles,” Pacey mumbles, rubbing his forehead.

“Yes or no Witter, are you in or are you out?” Danny says firmly. “Friends and co-workers help each other out man, it’s part of the deal around here.”

I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me

“Oh so you help make up lies for other co-workers’ wives so they can go out and have guilt-free cheating? I don’t think so,” Pacey snaps, turning his back on Danny.

“You haven’t answered the question Pacey, are you going to help out an old friend, not to mention your boss?” Danny demands.

I'm surrounded by liars everywhere I turn
I'm surrounded by imposters everywhere I turn
I'm surrounded by identity crisis everywhere I turn
Am I the only one who noticed?
I can't be the only one who's learned

“No Danny I’m not, I just don’t want to get involved with this,” Pacey says softly but firmly, seeing the anger flare in Brecher’s eyes.

“I can’t believe this Pacey, I thought you were team player,” Danny yells.

“I am, but just because I won’t lie to your wife, that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to help make this a success,” Pacey yells back.

“After everything I’ve done for you, this is how you repay me?” Danny seethes, walking closer to Pacey.

“Everything you’ve done for me? What does that mean?” Pacey yells, and some people turn briefly their attention to them, although they quickly pretend they didn’t hear anything, not wanting to get into trouble or something.

“I gave you a second chance. I gave you a job in a bigger and better restaurant and got you out of that po-dunk, hick town of Capeside,” Danny snaps, pointing his finger angrily at Pacey. “I still see how talented you are Pacey and I gave you the opportunity to shine because god knows you wouldn’t go out to make yourself successful on your own.”

I don't want to be
Anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind

“You know what? That’s total bull,” Pacey yells, also stepping closer to Brecher. “I don’t need this, I don’t need you to put me down like this. Look at your life!”

“What the heck does that mean?” he snaps, folding his arms across his chest.

“Your life is still as pathetic as it was in Boston,” Pacey sneers. “You’re the same womanizing, roving eye, unfaithful and untrustworthy guy you always were. I’m just wondering how long you’ll stick around before you go AWOL on this place too, because that, like cheating seems to be something you’re really good at.”

“How dare you…” Danny stammers.

I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me

“How dare I?” Pacey laughs. “You may think we’re a lot alike but we’re not. Not anymore. I’m not the same guy I was in Boston. I’ll repeat this to you, just in case you didn’t get it the first time: I’ve made mistakes and I’ve learned from them and I’m trying to continue to be a stand-up guy here. Getting into woman’s pants won’t make you feel better, and won’t solve your problems. Trust me, I know that very well.”

“Oh, look at you, the source of wisdom”

Danny starts laughing, causing Pacey to get angrier.

Can I have everyone's attention please?
If you're not like this and that, you're gonna have to leave

“If you push this Danny I’ll quit, I swear, I don’t need this, not now or ever,” he snaps, causing Danny to laugh harder.

“You won’t quit Pacey, you don’t have it in you,” Danny chuckles, slapping him on the back.

I came from the mountain
The crust of creation
My whole situation-made from clay to stone
And now I'm telling everybody

“You don’t know that for sure,” Pacey says, clutching his fits.

“Yes I do,” Danny laughs again. “You might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but you won’t walk away from this, a real opportunity to make something of yourself. Or maybe you will, you’re good at blowing your big chance too.”

I don't want to be
Anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind

“See you later buddy, and thank you for the favor” Danny calls, walking out of the kitchen.

I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me
I don't want to be

The camera pans out slowly, leaving Pacey standing in the middle of the kitchen, dazed and angry, his chin up and a serious expression in his face.

A restaurant in New York.

Dawson and Samantha bound through the door of the restaurant joking about something that they had seen earlier in the day. Joey turns around just as Dawson’s eyes land on hers and he pauses for a moment. They both move towards each other completely oblivious at the moment to the other people around them.

“Hi,” he speaks softly taking her hand and not quite prepared when her lips briefly touch his.

“Hey,” she breaks the soft kiss and grins at him.

A moment passes between the two, one where they seem to be in their own little world.

“Remember us?” they both hear someone clear their throat behind them.

Joey turns around to find Sam and Ethan staring at them. Ethan seems to be enjoying the moment terribly and she is sure he is going to tease her about it for the rest of the day. Samantha has her arms crossed, slightly leaning on Ethan, and she doesn’t look less amused actually.

“What? You’ve never seen a couple in love before?” Joey asks, pretending to be annoyed at Ethan’s and Sam’s attitude as Dawson laughs and gently places his hands around Joey’s waist, who is leaning in his chest, her hands laying in there.

“Yeah, but you two border disgusting, you know?” Samantha laughs playfully as she leans in to kiss Joey’s cheek as a greeting. Joey smiles and rubs her arm in a friendly gesture while Dawson walks up to Ethan and they shake hands.

“Ethan, nice to see you again”

“Same here”.

“We thought we’d wait for you two before we sat down,” Joey informs him as he walks back to her, this time Joey linking her arm with his. “I made reservations. I thought it would be nice if we all got together again,”

“Sounds good to me” he smiles.

They begin to engage in small talk about what Sam and Dawson have been doing for the first part of the day and Joey tells Dawson about all of the stuff still piled on her desk because of her unplanned vacation.

“Yeah, but even like that, every time I pass by her desk, she’s got open the drawer and is looking at a certain picture of you too, with an ‘awww’ expression on her face” Ethan teases her as Dawson laughs softly and passes his arm around Joey’s waist, squeezing her body gently and closer to his.

“Oh, don’t be bad Ethan,” Samantha gently scolds him and he smiles at him.

Joey just smirks at him while she runs her fingers along Dawson’s hand that is resting in her wais when the hostess motions for them to come her way in order to be seated.

Dawson and Joey sit next to each other, Dawson putting his arm in the seat behind Joey, Joey leaning on his chest comfortably as they look over the menu together, exchanging knowing glances every now and then.

Sam and Ethan sit down in the booth in front of them, their shoulder touching. They smile at each other before going through the menu to make their selection. The waiter comes over and pours water for all of them then hands them menus that they begin to peruse.

Joey catches someone out of the corner of her eye: Audrey. She waves at her to get her attention and Audrey’s face lights up as she sees Joey… and Dawson by her side. She arrives at their table full of energy and with a big grin on her face.

“Sorry I’m late” she says, waving at Ethan and Sam, who wave back at her smiling. They remember her perfectly from Halloween. “And you” Audrey exclaims, pointing a menacing finger at Joey as she sits down, “are such a bad friend” Joey just laughs and Dawson puts his arms around Joey’s shoulder, crossing her upper chest form one side to the other, smiling warmly at Audrey. ”I drove you all the way to New York so you can catch a plane and make your declaration of love to the man here, and do you ever call to let me know how it went? NO, of course NO!”

Audrey pretends to be all offended, what only makes Sam and Ethan laugh.

“Don’t feel bad, she never called me neither,” Ethan offers as a consolation, faking a pout.

“Yeah well, excuse me but is not the same,” Audrey points, making a face.

“I’m so sorry Audrey,” Joey laughs, taking her friend’s hand.

“Yeah, I’m sorry too. It was probably my fault as well, as I kept her busy” Dawson says, burying his nose in her hair as he speaks, smiling at Joey who looks up at him amused.

“Awww,” Audrey sighs, placing a hand over her heart. “Ok, you just moved me, so I guess you are forgiven” she concedes dramatically.

The waiter, who comes over to take the order, interrupts the friendly moment. Audrey flips quickly through the menu and they all order their meal. Once is done, the waiter walks away.

“So, Joey and Dawson….Dawson and Joey,” she looks from one to another and they both look back at her hardly able to contain the big amused grins in their faces. “So congratulations are in order now that you two finally took the plunge! Well you didn’t get married but you might as well have. You finally got beyond all that was and just acted. I’m proud of you both,”

She then half hugs Joey who lightly laughs then half hugs Dawson who has his “Audrey expression” (one of never knowing what she is going to say next) on. And he is right to feel like that, he thinks as Audrey makes her next comment.

“So, tell me how was it?” Dawson, who has just taken a sip of water, almost chokes and Joey’s eyes go wide not quite believing she heard her friend right but then again this is Audrey. “I mean from what I heard, you two were on the road for several days, alone with no one around.”

Joey begins to speak then stops herself as she looks over at Dawson, who has an amused expression on his face, as if remembering something.

“Don’t you ever think about telling her that” Joey warns him, turning lightly so she can poke her finger in his chest. “That was so embarrassing,” she laughs.

“What? I haven’t even opened my mouth,” Dawson smiles at her, a wink in his eyes.

“Yeah, but I heard you thinking it.” Joey scolds him, as he laughs.

“The scary thing is,” Audrey says, turning to Ethan and Sam, who are just enjoying the show too much to even try and have an in on it “that I’m sure she did hear him” she says, rolling her eyes.

“I’ve heard through the grapevine that they took a lot of pictures” Samantha says in a conspiracy tone to Audrey as she side glances to Ethan.

“Oh, how sweet. Collecting memories already, huh? But ok, enough of the two of you. You so like to get everybody’s attention”.

Joey’s eyes and mouth go comically open wide when she hears that, as anyone else has hardly spoken since Audrey arrived, but Audrey herself. Dawson laughs and Sam and Ethan look on amused at this girl who has so much zest for life and seems to have found two long lost friends.

Joey turns to them.

“She’s always like this,” she explains as if trying to justify her craziness, but looking at Audrey with a loving smile. She is glad to have her back.

“Yeah, Audrey’s an acquired taste,” Dawson teases her, smiling wide as the food is starting to be served.

Audrey beams and shrugs her shoulders at her friends´ comments, then reaches out to grab a breadstick off of the table and waves it around s she leans to her side so the waiter can place the plate in front of her.

“So, Audrey, do you live here in New York City?” Samantha asks inquisitively curious about this woman across the table from her when the food is finally served. They didn’t have much time to know each other the only time they met and she would really like to know more about this girl.

“I was wondering that myself,” Joey chimes in curious to know the answer to the question as she takes her first bite of food.

Audrey stops her movements and looks at each person at the table separately.

“Well, that’s a hard question to answer,” she looks directly at Joey who looks at her with a questioning stare. Lately, she has been wondering too whatever it is that keeps Audrey in this city, but she’s been too wrapped in her little Dawson crusade to even ask her.

“Either you do or you don’t live her Audrey,” Dawson is now expecting too. Knowing Audrey though, he isn’t surprised at anything that she does or says anymore. He has become a bit immune.

Joey can feel Audrey’s avoidance in answering the question and starts to wonder if there is something wrong with her friend and is not sure if she paid to Audrey the necessary attention in the last few weeks. Out of a sudden it looks to her as if Audrey is hiding something.

Joey exchanges a look with Dawson and she knows he is thinking the same at Audrey’s reservation.

“Yeah, well, I guess you could say I am living here, just looking for a change of scenario after spending the last few years in Europe” she answers, shrugging her shoulders. Then she quickly changes the subject and the lunch goes on.