Login     Help

7.12 - Happiness by BeatrizRC, Eden, Deb, Karen, Janet

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I held you close to me
Once in a distant dream
Far from the shores of my fear

She sees a fence and then an outline of something that has lights surrounding it. Her eyes go wide as she realizes where they are, thinking back to a conversation that they had on Dawson's dock, in Capeside, a long time ago. They were fifteen and had finished a day of filming “Sea Creature Of The Deep”.

I sailed on this ocean
Where all I imagined could happen
And now you are here

"So when you make it big in L.A., you'll have to invite me to visit. Instead of sitting here on the dock looking out at the water, we'll be sitting under the Hollywood sign looking out at that big city. Deal?"
“Deal,” he had answered, as the golden sun of the sunset bathed them.

It’s so hard to touch what is out of our hands
To know and to trust what the heart understands

The memory flashes in front of Joey's eyes. She looks at Dawson who is smiling sweetly at her and she can see it in his eyes that he remembers, too. "Care to go sit under the Hollywood sign with this old friend and make an old dream come true?" Joey sees the glimmer in his eyes, the one that has always been there when it comes to her...to the two of them.

"You read my mind," she answers softly.

Only the ones who believe
Ever see what they dream
Ever dream what comes true

Dawson watches her, her eyes bright under the moonlight and her linger smile, and somehow, it all makes him gravitate towards her. He gently cups her face and places a kiss on her lips.

Life gives us magic
And life brings us tragedy
Everyone suffers some loss

"Reality is so much better," she caresses his cheek with her hand.

"Let's go," he quickly moves away from her, gets out of the car, comes around to her side and opens her door.

"Dawson, I can't walk down there," she looks down at her feet clad in high heels and then towards the path. Dawson just smiles at her and goes to the back of the car he had asked one day sooner to have ready after the party. Then he comes back around to present her with a pair of tennis shoes. She smiles at him as he kneels down and gently slips her high heels shoes off to place the sportive ones. Joey cups his face once he is done and kisses him gently in the lips.

"Quite the organizer, you are. So what else do you have back there, Mr. Leery?" she watches as he walks to the back of the car again, this time carrying something else.

"I have a blanket and some champagne, too," he shows her as they share a look between them, one of remembering that time long ago in a Boston set where they also shared some champagne, but now realizing what it has become.

Joey takes the blanket and Dawson takes Joey’s hand as she gets out of the car and they begin to walk down the short path which is above the sign. They stop at the letter Y.

Still we have faith in it
Childlike hope
There’s a reason that outweighs the cost

"Why are we stopping, Dawson?" She asks gently tugging on his arm to continue walking.

"I really don't think that we should try to get under the sign," he steps over to stand just behind the Y. "We might lose our balance and it is a long way down,” he looks down the small mountain even though he can’t see much in the darkness.

And gravity throws all these rules in our way
And sometimes the spirit refuses to play

"Well, that’s fine. I think this is the perfect spot, you know," she moves closer to him, still holding his hand.

"And why is that?" He asks, taking the blanket from her arm and carefully placing it in the ground along with the champagne and the glasses, so his arms can go around her waist as she places her hands over his, intertwining her hands with his behind her back.

Only the ones who believe
Ever see what they dream
Ever dream what comes true

“It's halfway between the two words and I think we've met each other halfway," she kisses him quickly then pulls back. "Plus, Joey ends in a Y," she says playfully causing him to tickle her. "Okay, I give," she pulls away from him slightly.

Oh love
Turn me around in your arms
And in this dream we share
Let us not miss one kiss

"I really wish you wouldn't. It's much more fun when you don‘t," he feels her shiver and takes off his jacket, placing it over her. Grateful, Joey puts it on and smiles at him. Dawson stands behind her, enveloping her with his arms as she lifts her face for him to kiss her.

They stand there for a moment, revelling in each other’s touch before Dawson places the blanket open on the ground. Joey sits down and so does he, handing her a glass. Opening the champagne, he pours it for the both of them. Meanwhile, Joey looks up at the night sky and even with all of the lights of L.A, she can see the stars overhead. They seem to be a bit brighter, a bit clearer or well maybe, that would be because she finally sees everything more clearly.

“Make a wish, Jo,” she turns her attention to him, and he's sitting right next to her, shoulder against shoulder, and she furrows her brow confused.

“A wish?”.

“Yes. A wish, you know?.” Dawson explains, looking up at the sky before looking back at her again. “That thing you do before blowing out your birthday candles, or when you see the first snow.” He teases her, which earns him a playful elbow from her.

“Ah, that kind of wish,” she laughs as he buries his face in the crock of her neck. “Is it a tradition to do that here?”.

“Hmmm… No. Well, I’m not really sure. Maybe we could just start the tradition,” they look in to each other’s eyes and smile. He watches as her eyes go back up to look at the stars again.

And add my regrets to the tears in the rain
That’s what the color of roses contain

“So?” Dawson inquires. Her eyes shift downwards again as she ponders.

“Let me think a while…”. Dawson looks at her expectantly and Joey starts to lightly laugh.

“What?” Dawson asks, smiling just because she is laughing, even if he doesn’t know why.

Only the ones who believe
Ever see what they dream

Joey looks him in the eye, then away for just a moment, her head nodding as if she is agreeing with herself. “I don’t know what to wish for. At this moment, all of my dreams have come true.” She explains, as she touches Dawson’s glass gingerly with hers.

Ever dream...
Ever dream...

Dawson smiles at her, moved by the thought of being the dream come true of the girl he’s always loved. He speaks quietly, toasting with her in a silent cheer. “Same here.”

What comes true

They kiss softly after that before they sip of their glasses, sitting under the Hollywood sign.


Three days later, at Dawson’s house in L.A.

We see a bag opened over Dawson’s bed, a pair of feminine hands throwing a couple of sweaters in it hurryily. Then we see that the hands belong to Joey as she runs to the bathroom, where Dawson is coming out from. They laugh when they collide.

“Where’s the fire?” Dawson asks, holding Joey in his arms since she practically bumped herself into them.

“Nowhere. I just want to make sure we have everything,” she says as she kisses him quickly in the lips and tries to break the embrace and run into the bathroom. But Dawson doesn’t let her go and instead kisses her back, a little deeper, making her giggle. Then he lets her go her way with a smile that she returns.

“Everything, huh?” he says, his hands on his hips as he looks at the bag on the bed and the other two bags on the floor. “We've got more than everything. You went all ‘Pretty Woman’ in the shops.” he laughs, remembering their shopping day the day before.

“So sue me,” she replies, passing by him and placing her last belongings in the bag. “That Rodeo Drive thing was amazing. You can’t blame me for going a little crazy in there,” she beams as she goes back to his arms.

“Sure I don’t. That’s what credit cards are for,” Dawson says, kissing the tip of her nose. “I had a great time seeing you making a private pageant for me with all these dresses anyway.”

“Sure you did,” she laughs as they kiss.

“God, I just can’t stop doing this,” he says against her lips.

“Stop doing what?” Joey asks, distracted, kissing him again.

“Kissing you.”

Joey grins as her hands run through the hair in his nape.

“That’s fine with me,” they kiss once more, slowly and playfully, smiling against each other’s mouth. “But now, Romeo, we better get into that car or we’ll never leave this town.”

“Whose idea was the road trip again?” Dawson groans, pretending he is complaining, when Joey walks out of his embrace. “It would have been so easy to take a plane.”

“No way. And the idea was mine. You planned a road trip with Gretchen, and I went on a road trip with Eddie, and now I wanna go on this road trip with you. I had to fight to get the next three days off at job over the phone and I swear it's gonna be worth it.”

“That is something I have no doubt about,” he answers, walking to her and hugging her tight against him.

They look around for a moment, to the room where they have spent so many hours in the last days. Days they will never forget. Then they smile at each other.

“Shall we go?” Dawson asks, taking two of the bags. Joey eagerly takes the third one, beaming at him.

“I’m ready.”

And with that, they exit the room.

Later that day, in Dawson’s car.

We see the car travelling down a road, wide-open spaces by the sides. It’s not yet the evening, and there is still a lot of daylight.

"Okay,” Joey surveys the map, sitting in the passenger's seat. "There's our exit there."

"Where?" Dawson looks to his right.

"I think that was it," Joey points to his left.

"Are you sure? I think that wasn't it."

"Mmm… I guess not." Joey turns the map. "Maybe we should pull over somewhere and ask for directions."

"I think I know where we're going," Dawson dismisses the suggestion. "We don't need to stop and ask anyone."

"We'll wait until we're completely lost." Joey's smile betrays the comment. "This is it!" she gestures to an upcoming exit. As they approach they see the exit will take them to Mexico. "Or not." She says, annoyed with herself. “Where the hell is the exit number 147b? That's the one that is supposed to take us towards Tulsa.”

"Are you sure you can read a map," Dawson laughs and then moves lightly to his left to get out of her reach, just in case.

"I'll have you know that I've made this trip before," Joey snorts.

"From what I heard, you guys ended up on the back roads of North Carolina. Ever heard of taking the interstate from Massachusetts to California?"

"Shut up!" Joey playfully shoves him. "That whole trip was really… odd. And how do you even know where we ended up?" she adds as an afterthought.

"Audrey," Dawson shrugs. "We really had a lot of bonding time when she was in rehab. I visited her a few times."

“Oh,” Joey exclaims, and they smile at each other. Dawson keeps on driving a few more minutes in silence as Joey goes back to the map.

"I wish your car had one of those electronic tracker thingies." Joey says then as she turns the map again. Her brow is furrowed in concentration and she chews on her lower lip in contemplation. Dawson gives her a side glance and smiles.

"You could give me directions to Mexico right now and I wouldn't even care. Can I just say you look totally hot when you're concentrating like that?"

"Please," Joey blushes and dismisses the compliment. "I'm in grungy travelling clothes and I feel like I’m covered in road grime. And we’ve only been in this car for a few hours," she laughs.

"Road grime suites you."

"Pull over there!" Joey says emphatically.

"Joey, that's not our exit."

"I know. I just want to stop there."

So as requested, Dawson takes the exit.

"I don't think this is one of those roadside restroom places," Dawson says thoughtfully as he surveys the area. "If you have to use the bathroom, I think there might be a gas station down the road." He knows perfectly well why she asked him to stop, but he can’t help to tease her.

"Oh come on, Dawson! Look," Joey says throwing a look at him as she gets out of the car and gestures to the scenery. "It's beautiful here." Dawson smiles at her enthusiasm.

"Maybe I should take some pictures." Dawson retrieves his camera from the back seat.

"Great," Joey says in mock frustration. "Now we'll be here all day. I just wanted to stretch my legs."

"Just a few," he snaps away. "I promise."

"Don't you point that thing at me," Joey dodges out of Dawson's camera shot. But not quick enough.

“Dawson…” she tries to hide, but it only makes it funnier for him, so she gives up and ends up posing a storm. At first, she feels weird posing, but as Dawson goes around her asking her to pose like this or like that, she ends up enjoying the whole thing. In the end, they snap a couple of pics of the two of them, snuggling closer to each other trying to get the both of them into the picture holding the camera at Dawson’s arm length.

“Ok, so I think that was enough, wasn’t it?” Joey jokes with him, opening her eyes in wide reprimand as she kisses him smiling.

"Fine, fine. I’ll put the camera back in the car," Dawson says as he laughs throatily.

"You know, it's a shame," Joey walks up to him from behind and puts her arms around his waist. "That we never fooled around in your car when we were teenagers. I feel like I missed this teenage right of passage."

"It's a shame we never really fooled around as teenagers, period." He says, leaning on the top of the car, one of his feet resting on the bumper of the car.

"Yah, by far not as much as we should have done,” she says standing in front of him, caressing his face. “Although, I do remember certain activities when we were at the ruins…”

"Come here." Dawson laughs as he pulls her next to him in between his legs. “I remember them, too.”

Joey giggles as she rests her head in his chest and they stay like that for a moment. Dawson embracing her, looking over the horizon, Joey snuggled against him with her eyes closed and a smile in her face.

“Are you hungry?” Dawson asks after a while. “It’s almost 5:00. We still need to have some dinner and then look for a hotel to check into.”

"Yes, you’re right. So I guess we should get back on the road, right?" Joey reluctantly retracts herself from his embrace, taking his hand.

"Right," Dawson says as he walks her to her side of the car. Then he goes to his side of the car and turns to her before turning on the engine. "You know, this has been a really good day. One of those great days, actually."

"Yeah," Joey leans into Dawson. "This has definitely been one of the great ones. And it hasn’t even ended yet".

Dawson smiles at her and they kiss before they head off the road again.


That very same day, at night.

Dawson’s car pulls up in front of a modest hotel not far off of the freeway.

It’s definitely not the Hilton or the Four Seasons, but it’s cozy, with flowers in pots outside the rooms and bright overhangs and window decorations. Dawson hops out of the car, looking around for a minute before looking over at Joey, who is also surveying the location. Throwing their map back in the car, he turns off the ignition and locks the door. Then he walks over to her side of the car to take her hand and kiss her neck softly as she whispers something in his ear, something that causes him to smile as they reach the reception area of the hotel.

Slowing down their pace as they enter the check-in, Joey looks around at the inside décor. The place has a very homey feel, with a fireplace across from the desk, large high-back chairs in front of it and family photographs scattered across the walls.

Detaching herself from Dawson, who proceeds to the desk, Joey takes a minute to look at old family wedding photos.

Pictures on the walls of brides and grooms, smiling happily outside churches or gardens with their family and friends surrounding them. Each bride and groom looked so young and in love, like nothing could touch them.

Throwing a glance over to Dawson, who is conversing with the front desk, she smiles to herself, touching the frame gently before sauntering over to him.

“We need a room for tonight,” Dawson says, fishing around for his wallet.

“Okay, would you like a room with two twin beds or one king size?” the clerk asks, typing away into the computer.

“I think a king size bed will be more than enough,” Joey purrs, sneaking up behind Dawson, giving him a quick kiss on the neck. The clerk nods and go away as someone calls him from the back room, leaving them alone for a minute.

“Doesn’t this give you an odd feeling of déjà vu?” Dawson asks, turning to look at her, placing his arms around her.

“How so?” she asks, confused.

“Well if I remember correctly, the last time you and I checked into a hotel room together it was several years ago…a long bus trip…” he starts, seeing her nod in acknowledgement.

“When we went to see my dad,” she smiles, resting her hands on his shoulders. “I thought you were talking about the time after our first date when we got a hotel room and went at it like porn stars,” she jokes.

“Gosh, if only,” he sighs, hearing her laugh. “That would have saved us so much trouble.”

“Yeah too bad we were trapped in a G-rated fantasy,” Joey laughs.

“G-rated, Jo?” he scoffs. “Who liked to bring up the ‘leather straps’ and Crisco all the time, you minx?”

“Whatever,” she giggles, giving him an all teeth grin. “Things were so different then. All those years ago, thinking that me going to France was going to be the end of the world.”

“Well, it was. I mean, you leaving? No way would I have survived without you, being 15 and feeling the way I did about you,” he says.

“You didn’t know how you felt about me, Dawson. That was pre-kiss, still-wrapped-up-in-Jen land,” Joey says. “I was still the gawky girl from down the creek.”

“Yeah, I know it was pre-kiss, as you put it, but still, you’ve always been way too important to me. I didn’t even need to know I was in love with you to know that,” he says honestly. “I started to see what I always see now, this woman, this amazing, beautiful person that I knew I loved then even if just as a friend and that I still do love now... as much more than that.”

They stare at each other for a moment before Joey speaks.

“What would you have done if I left for France, or if you didn’t kiss me then?” she asks, resting her head on his shoulder.

“I don’t know,” he breathes. “It doesn’t matter, though, because you and me...we would have ended up together anyhow. Feelings like this don’t stay kept away forever.”

“We’re living proof of that,” she smiles, kissing his chin.

“Ahem,” the clerk says, clearing his throat to get their attention. “Yeah...um..how will you be paying for this?”

“Here,” Dawson smiles, tossing him his credit card, watching him disappear as Joey laughs softly all of a sudden. “What?”

“Listen,” she whispers and he hears the music playing in the hotel. A slow, romatic old melody

“Want to dance?” he asks, getting closer to her, their faces now only inches apart.

“Remember what happened the last time we really danced?” she asks, giving him a suggestive look and smile.

“If you’re somehow alluding to leather straps and porn again, I’m afraid you’re just too dirty for me,” he laughs as he gently presses her body against his.

“Me? I’m too dirty?” she scoffs. “Whatever, Leery. Keep dancing, no more talking.”

They stop talking, both wrapped in one another, swaying back and forth, letting the happy memories of the past wash over them as they look forward mentally to their future…together.

“Ahem?” the clerk coughs, setting Dawson’s credit card and paperwork on the desk. “I..ah.. need you to sign that and then you can go back to dancing.”

“Thanks,” Dawson says, detaching himself from Joey who laughs softly as she rests her chin on his shoulder from behind, Dawson leaning over to sign the papers. He collects his credit card and then turns to face her again. “Room 234. We should move the car.”

“Okay. Well, I’m calling the right side of the bed,” Joey smiles, seeing him look at her surprised.

“Wait it’s always been left to right, you can’t change that!” he cries.

“You know what they say. It’s a woman’s prerogative to change her mind, Dawson. Geez, get with it,” she says, slapping his shoulder playfully and turning to leave back to the car.

“Oh well, in that case, I guess the first one that gets there gets to claim it,” Dawson says hurriedly, catching up to Joey and breezing past her to the car.

“Hey, no fair! You can’t do that,” she screams, running after him, both laughing.

We see them rush out of the front check-in, both shoving each other playfully as they run to the car. Screams from Joey saying “No fair” fill the air while Dawson just laughs at her. Finally, with one final push, Dawson touches the car first and holds up his hands in victory.

“Yes, I win. I’m here, so I get to call it,” he rejoices, seeing Joey pout a bit in front of him. “Aw what’s the matter, sore loser?”

“Yes, but only because you cheated. I already called it, so technically you didn’t win,” she pouts, folding her arms across her chest.

“Well how about I make it up to you?” he asks, reaching out for her, laughing when she playfully dodges him.

“How?” she mumbles.

“Well if someone is really, really lucky, there might be a container of Crisco in the trunk that has your name written all over it,” he laughs, stealing a kiss from her before she can protest.

“You’re dead, Leery,” she threatens, entering the car.

“Oh, I’m really scared, Jo. Honestly,” he laughs.

The sight of her pouting makes him laugh harder as they pull the car around to the room. We see Joey bursting in laughter as well as they drive away.


Somewhere down the road…

It’s been one more day and a half in the car. Now they’re more than halfway to New York, and the car arrives at Columbus. After driving around for a while, Dawson pulls it into a parking garage.

“Come on…Let’s go!” he says as they exit the car.

They hold hands, and take off. Running out of the garage, and onto the streets, laughing the entire way. There is an unexplainable energy surrounding them. A youthful excitement that had long been missing from both their lives.

“So this is Columbus, huh?” Joey remarks. “You should make a movie here. It seems like it has so much history,” she says as she over reads a flyer they were given about the city.

“Yeah, why not,” he agrees. “As an added bonus, this trip is going to make sure I don’t have to scout locations for at least another five years.”

They laugh once again, and then march forward.

“Where should we go first?” Joey asks, reading the list of places for tourists out loud as they walk hand in hand down the street.

“Columbus is a city of surprises with lots of 'big city' things to do and see. When taking a break from visiting friends and convention activities, check out these must-sees. Columbus Museum of Art. features permanent and traveling exhibits of European and American art. Ohio Historical Center, Ohio Village. The Ohio Village is a recreated 1860s town with costumed tour guides. Described by the 1989 Smithsonian Guide to Historic America as 'probably the finest museum in America devoted to pre-European history", the Ohio Historical Center features a library, state archives and the Ohio Historic Preservation office.”

“That sounds good,” Dawson says as they cross a street.

“Ohio Statehouse. The Ohio Statehouse is one of the oldest working statehouses in the United States, and is considered one of America's finest examples of Greek Revival civic architecture. A tour of Ohio's State Capitol building featuring a look at the governor's office, Senate and House chambers and the rotunda.” Joey makes a face. “Not really my place if you ask me.”

“Yeah, I think we can pass on that one,” Dawson agrees.

“Santa Maria,” Joey keeps on going. “A replica of Christopher Columbus' flag-ship with costumed tour guides.” She seems to think about it. “It would be a crime to be here and not visit that one.”

“I agree,” Dawson says as they smile at each other and kiss. “And what about some place to eat?” Dawson asks, reading the list over her shoulder. “What about that North Market?”

Joey reads out loud. "North Market. This restored open market features fresh groceries and flowers, vendors serving a variety of ethnic foods and local favorites. Sounds good to me,” she says turning to him smiling.

So hours passes by, but for the two young lovers, it feels like mere minutes. After sampling the local cuisine, they head to the fine art museum. There, much to her surprise, Joey discovers that Dawson’s appreciation for art has developed over the past decade.

“I’ve been reading up,” he tells her. “Just in case.”

They pay a visit to the Santa Maria and play around embarrassing themselves, posing like they were on the Titanic, to the rejoice of the Japanese tourist that takes the picture. From there, they just roam the streets. Taking pictures here and there, Joey even tries to snap some photos herself under Dawson’s instructions. They also find a beautiful church that both Dawson and Joey take pictures of, Dawson making a mental note to give Grams a set of the photos along with the ones he took in Santa Fe.

Eventually, though, time catches up with the two of them, and they have to leave. Some time later that day, Dawson asks for the car to pull over as Joey drives. The car pulls up the hill, coming to a stop. Quickly, Dawson pulls Joey out of the car.

“Come on!” he urges her. “The hotel must be near but I want us to see this from here first!”

From their vantage point, they have a good view of the mountains off in the distance. Furthermore, they can see the sun setting amongst them. The bright red and orange colours blanket the area below in a brilliant display of light.

They both are awestruck at this unexpected present the trip has given them.

“It’s beautiful,” Joey whispers. “This is really something, isn’t it?” Smiling, she goes back into the car and pulls the camera out of the glove compartment.

“It has really grown on you, hasn’t it?” Dawson laughs when he sees her with the camera.

Joey just smiles as she takes a few photographs.

“Hey, Dawson?” she calls out.

Just as Dawson turns to look at her, Joey takes a photograph.

“I just wanted to get the two most incredible things I have ever seen in one frame.” Joey beams, as he steps up next to him.

They kiss, their forms silhouetted against the setting sun.

After a moment, the two of them lay down on the hood of the car, watching the red sun from the distance, their hands interlaced.

“Really, how many times in a lifetime do you get to see something as beautiful as this?” Joey inquires.

“Every day of my life,” Dawson replies, smiling at her before getting back to the subject at hand. “You know, Capeside always had a great sunset. It’s just that we've seen it so many times that it didn’t effect us anymore. We were used to it. I’d imagine if someone from outside came down to Capeside, they would be in for quite a show.”

“The proverbial ‘you had everything you ever wanted right before you, and you never knew it’, right?” she asks, remembering what he told her years ago about the history of the girl in his script.

“Yeah, something like that,” he says softly. Then he continues brightly. “This trip, well…I think I’m trying to do everything I wanted to do as a teenager, but never got the chance.”

“Funny, I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen until you hit forty,” Joey jokes.

“Ha, ha!” Dawson laughs. “You know, there’s something else I always wanted to do…”

“What?”

Before she can react, Dawson rolls over on top of Joey, kissing her hard.

“We’re gonna dent the car!” Joey giggles.

“Don’t care!” he responds, his stare fixed in her lips.

They kiss again, as the sun finally vanishes beneath the mountains.

“You know what?” Joey gasps. “We just made out while the sun disappeared. Amazing that, at our age, we still have a few of those ‘firsts’ left, huh?”

Dawson nods.

“First kiss, first date, first fight…” he recalls.

They kiss once more, deeper this time.

“I love you,” Dawson whispers as soon as they break the kiss.

Joey smiles at him.

“I love you too, Dawson.”

“Somehow that doesn’t seem enough, though,” he continues, still holding her in his arms, Joey’s enveloping him as well. “‘I love you’. It’s so simple that I keep thinking it doesn’t begin to describe how I feel about you. I just…all those years we were apart, something kept nagging at me. It’s not that I moped over lost love the entire time…it was just in the back of my mind. I’d eat your favorite food and it wouldn’t taste right, or I’d watch E.T. and look at your spot on the bed, thinking I’d find you there. When you weren’t…well, nothing was the way it should be. But when you’re with me…when you’re here beside me, in my life...believing in me. Well…I’m invincible. I can do anything.”

Joey puts her hand gently on his cheek, stroking it.

“I feel the same way,” she whispers. “And about those three words, you remember what we established? That words don’t really mean that much. Just the meaning behind them. Coming from a guy who talks the way you do, the simple words mean ten times more.”

But the seriousness of the moment goes away when Joey flips the two of them over so that she is on top of Dawson.

“Now…my turn!” she states with a grin.

Dawson laughs in excitement, as they kiss again, the newly formed blanket of stars shining shyly above their heads.

Next day in the mid-evening, arriving to New York.

Dawson and Joey are in the car together. They pull up in front of Joey’s New York apartment, their road trip coming to an end. They unbuckle their seatbelts and look silently at the building of apartments a few moments, reluctant to get out of the car and end the trip. They begin talking in the car, delaying the end of the journey.

“Well, we’re here…at last….safe and sound,” Dawson says cheerfully but with some regret that the trip is over.

“I feel like I should kiss the ground,” Joey half-jokes. “Almost four days stuck in a car with you…” she rolls her eyes drolly, joking.

“Hey, you were the one who asked for it!. Besides, you loved each and every minute of it,” Dawson states with a smile.

“Yeah, I did,” Joey laughs sincerely, sweet and soft, her eyes glowing.

“Maybe there is hope for us after all,” Dawson comments, smiling. “No angst, no tortured trauma. No fights….well, no major fights. You are a fries hog if I ever saw one.”

“I am not,” Joey protests cutely.

“Well, diet soda then,”

“Well, maybe,” Joey admits with a smile.

Dawson regards her a few moments. “You look happy,” he says quietly.

“I am,” Joey says simply.

“Good. I like to see you happy,” He pulls her in, across the seats, for a tender kiss. “Admit it, that is better than kissing the ground,” he teases her.

Joey’s face is all soft from the kiss. She doesn’t say anything to this, but puts her hand behind his head and kisses him some more.

Dawson reluctantly breaks the kiss with a sigh, looking regretfully at the apartments. “We both have to work tomorrow, so I guess we better get some rest, right?.” Joey just nods her head.

Reluctantly, he opens his door and gets out of the car, and Joey gets out, too. Dawson goes to the trunk and begins to lift out her bags.

He brings her bags to the sidewalk slowly, still not wanting to end the day. Then his eyes light up and he turns to her.

“I…want to take you to dinner. A special dinner. A date. Our first grown-up dinner, together, as a couple,” he announces sweetly with a slow smile. He thinks of something. “At least since we were sixteen…if you can call that grown-up,” he smiles at the memory. “I’ll pick you up in two hours. What do you say?”

“I say okay,” Joey beams at him, feeling as if her heart is beating again. “Just as long as it isn’t French food. It can never be too soon for French food,” she says laughing, making a face.

“Oh, I don’t know. I can recall some nice things about that date,” Dawson says warmly. He puts his arms around her from the back, nuzzling her neck the same way he did nine years ago. “As I recall, there was some very romantic conversation about whether we were going to ‘close the deal’," he teases her.

“Dawson!” Joey exclaims, shocked and laughing. She turns in his arms until she is facing him. “I was such a dweeb back then,” she says softly.

“I thought you were the most beautiful, sweetest and sexiest woman in the world,” he pauses. “I still do,” he adds quietly and sincerely.

Joey is touched and pleased. Then she gives him a big grin. “Good,” she says sassily.

“And,” Dawson continues, “I got to 'close the deal'. Maybe years and years later…but…it was worth the wait,” he says, gruff and sexy.

Joey blushes a little.

“I wish we had more time for ‘deal closing’ but I know we both have things to do,” Dawson says regretfully, stepping away from Joey. “It’ll just have to wait until later,” He gives her a sweet and wicked smile. “First things first.”

With that, Dawson lifts up the bags. “Lead the way, fair lady,” he says cheerfully. They go inside the building together, take the elevator and when they arrive to her apartment, Joey unlocks the door. Dawson sets the bags inside the door, but doesn’t come in. Joey doesn’t either. Suddenly, Dawson puts his hand on her waist and pulls her close to him.

“I’m not ready to let you go,” he says gruffly, deep and masculine, his face loving and serious. “How is it possible that you’re standing here in front of me and I already miss you? I just am not ready for this adventure to end…or to let you go.”

Joey smiles, warm and feminine. “Oh no, it wasn’t an adventure. You could never inspire an adventure in me. I always wanted you to stay with me forever, not just for some crazy, short lived adventure.” A beat as her words weights in the air. “Come on, it’s only two hours, lover boy,” she adds, jokingly.

“Two hours too many, if you ask me.”

“I’d think over three, actually four days in a car with me would be enough for anyone,” Joey quips, teasing.

“Apparently not.”

“What am I going to do with you? ” Joey asks with mock severity.

“Anything you want, apparently,” Dawson answers, obviously smitten, running his hands up the back of her blouse.

“I’m serious! “ Joey sweetly scolds him. “I asked for three free days, and then proceed to ditch work for one more day. I haven’t even returned all my phone calls. For all I know, I don’t even have a job to go back to.”

“Their loss,” Dawson mumbles while nibbling on her ear.

Joey playfully pushes him away. “And you. Wasn’t Spielberg looking for you, too?”

Dawson lifts his head to smile at her. “He can wait. I mean, for once we have been impulsive and restless, and I don’t regret one minute of it, even if Spielberg gets mad at me.”

“Hhhmmm,” Joey frowns. She steps back to him and puts her arms around his neck. “This sounds serious. Putting me before Spielberg,” she says with lowered voice, pretending great consideration, but her tone is flirtatious and loving too.

Dawson just squeezes her butt a little, and she gives a playful yelp. They smile at each other. Then Joey sighs and leans on him, quiet, her forehead touching his.

“I’m not ready to go either,” she says softly. She looks him in the eyes and they don’t need to speak, but she does anyway. “I’m not ready for this trip to be over, either. Everything about it has been so….perfect.” she says emotionally. “… Even though I need a shower like nobody’s business and my answering machine is probably so full of messages that it is ready to explode, or self-destruct…..either of which would make for a lot of extra cleaning,” she says with a crooked smile at her bad joke, her eyes glistening just a little with emotional tears. She looks sweetly at Dawson.

Dawson caresses her cheek but then his expression changes. His eyes glint mischievously. “Let’s go take a shower together!” he suddenly suggests with a wicked little grin. “Who cares about work when I have you?”

“Dawson!” and Joey is laughing again. “Maybe later,” she says sexily, running her hand over his chest, happily flirtatious. Then she gets more serious. “After we both make sure we still have jobs.”

Dawson groans. “That could take days,” he jokingly gripes. He pulls her in close in a sexy embrace. “I can’t think about work with you so near,” he breathes into her ear “especially if I have to think about you …and me… and showers… together…”

Joey just laughs, happy.

“Taking so long with this trip, we were very, very…” she begins

“Hot?”

“I was going to say, ‘irresponsible’.” Then her face softens. She reaches up, puts her hand on his cheek and kisses him softly. “But yes, we were very, very hot too.” Their kiss deepens as they wrap their arms around each other.

Finally, Joey gently disengages herself from the kiss, which is starting to get too passionate for being in an aisle of apartments.

“Dawson, if you keep kissing me like that, I will have no choice but to drag you inside and ravish you shamelessly,” Joey laughs, out of breath from the kisses.

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

“But then I wouldn’t get my dinner date, now would I?” Joey teases with merry eyes. “Besides, I need time to pretty myself up for you, especially since I’ve been in grubbies most of this trip.” She puts her hands on the back of his head, and gently strokes his hair, smiling into his face.

“Thank you for a wonderful trip,” she says softly and sweetly. “And…and…for giving me another chance,” she says looking down, so softly he almost doesn’t hear it. Then she looks up and smiles brilliantly at him. “I can’t wait for tonight.”

The scene switches from Joey’s apartment to Dawson’s loft in New York.

(“Like lovers do” by Heather Nova, starts playing in the background)

There is a paradise that can be found
A better life to bring us round
And all we really need to do
Is see the world like lovers do

Joey slips into her blue cocktail dress. It falls below her knees and swirls flirting with the breeze. Her New York apartment is exactly as she left it, but it looks so different now. The whole world does. She is in love, and no longer afraid of its consequences.

‘I miss him already’, she thinks. ‘Why I let him out of my sight is beyond me’. She smiles at herself at the thought. ‘It would have been nice to take a long hot shower with him like we did in Santa Fe’. And she lightly blushes at the memory as she remembers the moment.

I want to take it easy, take it slow
To catch a fire and let it go
I want to give myself to you
So we can live like lovers do

Joey sits at her vanity. She peruses the many and various bottles of scents and lotions in front of her and carefully chooses her scent for the evening. ‘Something as light and blissful as I feel’, she thinks. Dawson had once hugged her and murmured in her ear that she smelled heavenly, and she had barely been able to say that it was a new vanilla lotion that she was wearing.

Finally, she identifies the bottle. Hell, she had been wearing it ever since he had mentioned it, why mess with what works? ‘I have to remember to get some vanilla bath gel’, she thinks, ‘and maybe I’ll get lucky tonight’, she thinks and then grins at the thought, knowing that actually she needs no vanilla essence for that at all.

Like lovers do, I want to feel that way
Like lovers do, they lose themselves for days
And I need to feel that way

At the same time, Dawson readies for the evening, drying his hair with a towel.

‘I can’ t wait to see her’, he thinks. ‘Why exactly is it that I had to drop her off at her apartment? Why didn’t’ t I just stay there with her?’

A sudden stab of longing runs through him. ‘Delayed gratification will just make it better', he thinks. 'Who said that to me?’, he ponders. ‘Was it Jen? Or maybe it was Gretchen? Maybe I need to take a cold shower’, he thinks with a smile.

He continues to dry his torso, then he quickly slips into his slacks and shirt. He goes to his closet and surveys his assortment of shoes. After Amy had told him that women could tell whether they should sleep with a guy by the shoes he was wearing, he had been careful about his selection of footwear.

‘Where is the pair that Joey likes?’. Finally, he spots them. Not the newest or shiniest, but it is the pair that seems to draw Joey’s attention. He laughs. As if that really mattered. Not with her. What they have goes much further than the physical attraction. But damn, it feels good to feel like this for her again, like they did when they were 16 and with ranging hormones. He laughs at the memories as he speedily finishes dressing.

I can hear you thinking what I feel
I know that what we've got is real
And all we need to get us through
Is just to live like lovers do

With his jacket thrown over his shoulder and a final look in the mirror, he rushes out. All he can think of is Joey.

Back at Joey’s apartment, Joey places the final touches to her light make-up. Her heart flutters as she looks at the mirror. ‘I want him to want me the way I want him’, she thinks, and then she smiles at the thought of Dawson and her stuck together for almost four days, actually a whole week counting the days in L.A at his home, and how it hasn’t been enough time together for either of them.

She considers the phone and debates on whether to call Dawson. She just wants to hear his voice, with that low sexy timbre. Sometimes just the sound of his voice when they were making love could send her over the edge. ‘Okay, I am now uncool, goofy, goon worthy, lovesick and completely vulnerable...but I would’ t have it any other way’, she thinks. ‘I’ m really in love...completely in love for the first time. Well, the third one if I count the other two times, and they both were with him’. She smiles to herself.

Like lovers do, I want to feel that way
Like lovers do, they lose themselves for days

Dawson softly hums in his car as he skilfully navigates through the streets of New York. The crowds on the street, the honking cars, the energy of New York is no longer a drain, it’s a part of his world...a world that is bursting with joy and possibilities. He smiles as he thinks of Joey. This feels so familiar, but very liberating. He still gets nervous and excited when he's around her. That's never changed.

And I need to feel, I need to feel that way
Give me strength to give myself to you

The way she made him feel when they were together was the most incredible thing he had ever felt in his life. He always knew from the moment he realized he loved her that they were supposed to be together, that they were soulmates, even if through the years they had convinced themselves it was supposed to be in other way and not the way it really should be.

But now they know.

Dawson turns up the radio with a big grin on his face and softly sings along to the music. Meanwhile, Joey looks at her reflection in the mirror and smiles.

Like lovers, lovers do


Joey’s apartment.

Dawson pulls up in Joey’s driveway and steps out of his car with the bouquet of flowers he has gotten Joey in his hand. He closes his car door, and the same way he did a couple of hours sooner, walks up to Joey's front door, and rings the doorbell. Then he patiently waits for her to answer.

Joey is rushing out the bathroom when she hears the doorbell ring. After all these years, and mostly after the days they have spent together, she can’t believe that she still got butterflies in her stomach whenever Dawson is around her. Must be because as Dawson put it, this is their first date as adults. The first real date.

She sighs with content at the thought as she walks over to the front door and opens it to see Dawson standing there, a bouquet of daisies and roses in his hand. Joey smiles at the sight and he smiles right back at her, their eyes looking into one another.

"Hey," Joey softly says, right before throwing her arms around his neck and kissing him deeply. They both laugh as she opens the door and lets him inside the house.

"Hey," Dawson responds playfully, looking into Joey's eyes and handing her the flowers. "These are for you." He says as he gets closer to her and places his hands on her waist.

"Thank you," Joey says, smelling the flowers with a sweet and big smile in her face, noticing Dawson’s stare on her. "Very… symbolic,” she adds laughing.

“I know,” Dawson smiles wide at her “I couldn’t resist it. Daisies for our very first date…”

“And white roses for our very first night,” They just smile and stare at each other for a moment, remembering the old days. “I should go put these in a vase." Joey says trying to get out of the daze, kissing him softly and relying in the touch and taste of his lips, happy that they finally are where they are now, before she walks away.

"Right," he says following her into the kitchen. Joey takes out a vase and begins to fill it with water.

"You know, I heard from a movie once that if you add a little 7-Up to the water, the flowers will last longer."

"Really? And what movie was that, Dawson?" Joey asks him, laughing and not surprised at all he learnt that piece of information from the big screen.

"Bed of Roses," Dawson tells her, slightly embarrassed. “I know it's a corny one, but it was nice”.

"Oh yes, I know, but I love that movie!” she grins at him. “That's one of my all-time favorites!" Joey exclaims, also slightly embarrassed and not believing he had ever seen it.

"Well, what do you know? So much for the bitter girl that you used to be.” She glares at him from the dishwasher, where she is preparing the flowers “I guess I never told you, afraid that you may make fun of me. Go figure. I still learn more about you everyday," Dawson says as he smiles, taking a bottle of 7-Up from her fridge. "So, you want to try it?"

"Of course! If only for our old movie nights’ sake," She replies as she takes the bottle from him and pours a little 7-Up into the vase. She starts putting the flowers into the vase as Dawson comes up around her, kissing her neck.

"Hey, stop that!" Joey asks Dawson playfully, trying to move her neck so he can’t keep kissing her.

"Or what? What are you gonna do?" Dawson teases her as he continues to kiss her on the other side of the neck, ignoring her weak protests.

"Something that might make us miss our dinner," Joey tells him, turning around and pinning him against the dishwasher in a quick movement, as she is the one kissing him this time.

"Mmmm," Dawson murmurs, kissing her back for a moment. "I can handle missing dinner."

Joey laughs. "No, no, no. Not buying it. I want my date. You were always so good at them. I promise we can do this later," she tells him, and they both smile as they kiss once again.

"Let’s go then,” Dawson says softly.

Breaking their embrace, Joey finishes rearranging the flowers in the vase as Dawson puts back the 7-Up bottle in the fridge. They turn to each other and walk to the front door with their arms linked.

There, Dawson helps her to put her coat on and kisses her temple gently as she intertwines her fingers with his before leaving the apartment. That simple act of holding each other's hand is something that will always be important between them. It was, after all, how it all started. Because once he held her hand while running under the rain, that was all she could think about.

Once outside, Dawson is the perfect gentleman and opens up his car door for her, letting her get in before shutting it closed. Then we see him going around to his side and getting in, giving Joey a quick kiss before they leave for the restaurant to have their awaited romantic dinner.


Downtown in the Big Apple.

We see a quick shot of the outside of a major New York restaurant before the camera focuses in on the window and the shot becomes internal, moving from the window to the couple standing waiting to be seated.

"Good evening sir...ma'am. Do you have a reservation?” a gentleman asks as he nods his head.

"Yes. Leery," Dawson says as Joey links her arm in Dawson's, smiling at him while their reservation is checked.

"Here we are. If you would care to follow me..." He tells them as he walks between some tables with a few menus under his arm.

Dawson and Joey follow the man up a few stairs to a quaint little candlelit corner. Dawson pulls out a chair and indicates for Joey to sit down before he takes a seat himself.

"Can I take your drink order now or would you like to see the wine list?" He asks as he hands them both a menu.

Joey looks at Dawson and then to the man. "We'll take a bottle of the Sydney Harbour Rose. Thank you."

He bows his head and leaves them.

“Something you learned in Paris, I suppose? About wines?” he adds, when Joey looks at him with a puzzled expression.

“Oh no,” she laughs “I actually learned after attending like a thousand business meetings, cocktail parties and dinners and all that in the last 2 years.”

“Oh yes. I know all about that, too,” he agrees as he smiles at her. “There’s something undeniably sexy about a woman who knows how to order wine,” he teases her and Joey grins at him before slowly turning her gaze to the menu. Dawson keeps looking at her for a moment with a smile on his face before turning his attention to the menu as well.

They're both silent for a moment as they start to look over the menu, one of Dawson's hands resting on the edge of the table. There's the occasional quick glance at each other while the other is glancing at the menu and a small smile curls on Joey's lips as she slowly moves her hand across the table, placing her hand over his. Dawson smiles and squeezes it softly.

"This is really nice." Joey tells him. "It's such a shame that I have to go back tomorrow and end this..." She half shrugs. "I'm tempted to call it a holiday, but that's not what it is. It's more than that."

He moves his hand a little so that he can lace his fingers in hers. "I know. It's been such an unexpected end to the festive time." He looks down at their joined hands. "I really never expected this to have happened when I went back to Capeside for Christmas."

"Me either." She grins. "Such a pleasant surprise."

"Yeah."

A waiter arrives with their wine. "Would you like for me to pour for you?"

"No, it's fine. I'll take care of it." Dawson says as he lays the menu down on the table.

The waiter places the bottle of wine and the ice bucket at the center of the table, along with the two wine glasses. "Someone will be over in a moment to take your order."

"Thank you." Dawson says as Joey moves her hand away and he lifts the bottle out of the ice bucket, pours a glass of wine for Joey and himself before placing the bottle back in the bucket.

"I think we should make a toast." Joey suggests, her eyes lighting up.

"Well, what would you like to toast to this time?" he asks, remembering their last one under the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles.

"'To us' just seems so...mundane. It's too plain."

"You're the one who has a way with words. I'm all ears."

"Waiting to make a mental note of the speech so you can have it in your show is more like it." She jokes and mock glaring at him.

"No, not this time." Dawson laughs.

"Yeah right." She rolls her eyes and grins before raising her glass and he does the same. "To New York, our city from now on. To our first date here. And to the rest of our evening.” Then she adds softly “May it not go by too quickly, and may we enjoy it till the wee hours of the morning."

“Impressive,” he says, placing a hand over his heart and smiling at her. Joey laughs.

They clink glasses and take a sip of their wine, both placing their glass on the table at the same time. They look over the menu again, linking their hands naturally again as the camera starts to pan out and a waiter is seen walking towards Dawson and Joey, who are now chatting animatedly.

Montage of various scenes…

(“Songbird” by Eva Cassidy starts playing in the background)

For you there’ll be no crying
For you the sun will be shining
’Cause I feel that when I’m with you
It’s alright, I know it’s right

The door of the restaurant is pushed open and held by Dawson as a smiling Joey exits, ducking under his arm on her way out. They stand for a moment, enjoying the night around them and then walk slowly down the street hand in hand until Dawson impulsively pulls Joey into a hug, making her laugh and they continue with their arms around each other. They walk away talking as Joey shoves him gently at something he says, but quickly returns to the place in his arms, looking up at him and grinning wide.

And the songbirds keep singing
Like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before

We see the two of them walking under the brightly lit streets of New York. They stop every now and then to look through some shop windows, or the cartel of a theater play, commenting on when they might be able to go and watch it. They are holding hands as they stop at a corner, joining a group of people who are amusingly watching a couple of mimes offering flowers to the people passing by in a mute gesture of peace and love. Dawson puts his arm around Joey and she leans her head on his shoulder as they watch with smiles on their faces, clapping their hands and laughing along with the rest of the public when one of the mimes receives a kiss on the cheek from a little girl.

To you, I would give the world
To you, I’ll never be cold
’Cause I feel that when I’m with you
It’s alright, I know it’s right

The image fades to a giggling Joey being helped into a horse drawn carriage by Dawson, who quickly hops on it and settles himself by her side, taking her in his arms. The carriage driver smiles, enjoying the young couple so obviously and obliviously in love and gently murmurs to the horses who commence a leisurely walk around the block. Joey snuggles closer to Dawson and they both listen to the carriage driver as we see him taking them to different places. Every now and then, they just look at each other and take a moment to wonder at this really happening.

And the songbirds keep singing
Like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before

The gentle rhythm of the horse's hooves fades to the lights and laughter of the night time skaters at the Rockefeller Center. Dawson and Joey are skating around the edge of the rink side by side with Dawson slightly in the lead. With a muffled exclamation, Dawson abruptly falls. Joey, holding back a giggle but then bursting out laughing, reaches down to pull him up. As she extends her hand, Dawson pulls her down on top of him where they both lay laughing, embraced and kissing softly on the lips.

Like never before

The camera captures their joy for a moment, and then pans out and over the rink, pass the skyline of New York to the night sky where snowflakes start to fall.

Like never before.

CREDITS