Login     Help

Where Angels Fear To Tread by Kilby

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
December 24, 2000

Joey stood outside Pacey's house nervously. It wasn't true with many people, but she was a little scared of his dad. Even more so, she knew he didn't like her. She knew what she had to do though, and knocked on the door.

"Whadda ya know, Jo?" Pacey said, as he opened the door.

"More than you," she smiled.

"I see you're in top form even in the morning," he said.

"Someone with manners would invite me in, instead of keeping me standing in the cold."

"You always tell me that I don't have any manners."

She pushed her way through the door. Pacey began to walk to his kitchen. "You want something for breakfast?"

"What are you making?"

"Eggs."

"Okay," she said. She took a seat at the table as she watched Pacey. He put a glass and some orange juice on the table. "Home alone this morning?"

"Yeah," he said. "I barely comprehend the peace and quiet."

She watched him, in awe, never realizing that he knew how to cook anything. He looked like he knew what he was doing. There seemed to be a lot that she didn't know about him. "I never knew you cooked, Witter."

"It's either learn how to cook or starve in this house," he said. He concentrated as he pushed the eggs around the pan. "So what's going on?"

"Nothing!" she said quickly. "I mean, why would something be going on?"

"It was just a question," he said. "Just wondered how you were feeling, what you were going to do today, that sort of thing."

"Oh!" she said. "The usual, I guess."

"What's up with you?" he asked, placing a plate in front of her.

"Nothing," she said, as she watched him sit across from her. "So what are you going to do for Christmas?"

"Ah, I don't know. I was thinking about maybe taking a road trip to Atlantic City, playing some blackjack, picking up a lonely showgirl or two."

"I think two is aiming a little high, Pace," she said, sucking in a breath for effect. "One might be a little too high. I mean, you'd have to find a pretty lonely woman."

"Funny, Josephine," he said, dryly. "What are you gonna do today?"

"I need to go shopping," she said. "You know, one day I'm going to get smart and learn to shop before Christmas Eve." She examined him intently as she watched him lift his fork to his mouth.

"What?" he asked defensively. "Did I spill something on myself?"

"No, no," she said, shaking her head. "You wanna come with me?"

"Shopping?"

"Yeah."

"I don't have any to do. I'm finished."

She shot him a look that could kill. "You make me sick!"

"I didn't have many people to buy for," he said. "Just skipped the dear old family this year."

She nodded sympathetically. "Why don't you come anyway? I still have to get something for Alex, and you're about on his intellectual plane."

"Sure," he said, smiling. Somehow he knew that was less of an attack on his intelligence, and more of a way for Joey to let him know that she wanted him to come. "You'd better eat that before it gets cold."

She took a bite of the eggs, and her face turned to shock. "God, Pacey, these are delicious!" He smiled, proud of himself. "I didn't know that there was more than one way to make eggs."

"My own little secret," he grinned. She nodded, not wanting to think about anything else until her plate was empty. He watched her intently, almost proud that he could provoke that kind of reaction in her. It seemed like something had changed in her; like she had some new-found appreciation for him . . . and that was what he had been waiting for.

Finally, she dropped her fork onto the empty plate. "Seriously, Pace," she said. "What are you doing for Christmas?"

"Nothing really."

"Well, I was talking to Alex and Bessie this morning, and we all decided that we'd love to have you come stay with us for Christmas."

"What?"

"You know, come stay with us tonight. Celebrate the holiday," she said. "Let the little rugrat wake you up at five tomorrow morning."

"You want me to?"

"Yeah," she said. "Bodie's out of town, and we could use some masculine influence around. Besides, I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to have to stay here with these people, much less my friend."

He smiled. She had never outright called him her friend before. "I'd rather not stay here with these people either."

"So what are you waiting for?" she asked. "Get some stuff so that we can go shopping!"

"Okay," he said. "Be right back."

She watched him run up the stairs, seemingly giddy with excitement, and smiled. This was one good deed she was more than happy to do. She didn't know why, but she was seeing Pacey in a new light, and was actually happily anticipating spending the time with him.

He was down the stairs within minutes, carrying a large duffel bag. "You're not moving in, I hope."

"I could leave the presents," he said, raising his eyebrow.

"Okay. The big bag is acceptable," she conceded. "Let's go."

Outside the door, he looked at Joey sincerely. "Thanks," he said.

"Don't mention it."

"You know that I like to get up at 4:30 on Christmas day, right?"

"You get me up at 4:30, and I'll kill you!" she said. He grinned at Joey, as they happily took off towards her house.

* * * * *

Joey sighed as she sat next to Pacey on her couch. "I don't want to go shopping," she whined.

Pacey laughed. "Let's make a list," he said.

"Fly-by-night Pacey Witter a list-maker. Who would have thought it?"

"Okay," he said, "pick on me. But do you know how bad it's going to be shopping today?"

"It's not like we're going to Macy's or something, Pace. The small shops in Capeside will not be that bad."

"Sure. Tell me that after the riot over who gets the last Barbie doll."

"A riot you will, no doubt, be involved in."

"Did anyone ever tell you that Ken's not anatomically correct?"

"No," she said, "and I was really shocked the first time that I--"

"What?" he broke in.

She began to laugh hysterically. "I'm just kidding, Pace. Chill." He looked at her, clearly not amused. "I really don't think I like the idea of a list," she continued. "I kinda just go on feeling."

"On feeling?"

"Sure. You walk in a store, see something, and realize that it would be perfect for that person."

"Oh," he said. "So we're going to face the masses going on nothing but a feeling."

"Basically," she said. "We'd better get going."

"Okay," he said. "You're going to have to keep your hands to yourself today. No grabbing my ass."

She grinned mischievously, placing a hand on his butt. He jumped in surprise. "Sometimes I just can't help myself."

* * * * *

Five Hours Later

Pacey entered the Potter house carrying several bags and boxes. "Thank God," he said, setting everything on the table.

"It's not that much, Pace," she said.

"I know," he said, sitting at the table.

"Help me wrap?" she asked, sitting across from him with tape and scissors.

He nodded, as he pulled a box over, and grabbed a roll of wrapping paper. "Where's mine?" he asked her after a few seconds of silence.

"Your what?"

"Present."

"Oh, I'm not that stupid," she said. "It's safely tucked away."

"Okay," he said, turning his attention back to the present.

Joey looked at him and sighed. He had wrapped just one in the time it took her to do three. "What are you trying to do, put that on display at the Smithsonian?"

"Just trying to make it look nice," he said.

"That one's for Alex," she pointed out. "He'll unwrap it in seconds."

He smiled, "I know."

"I'll do this one," she said, grabbing the last box. It was a wooden toy train. Pacey had fought his way through an ocean of people to get it, and one woman had actually bitten him on the arm trying to take it away. Joey laughed as she reached for the tape.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"I was just thinking of when that woman bit you."

"Don't remind me," he sighed. "I might need some rabies shots."

"Who said chivalry was dead?" she joked.

He laughed, "Not me."

"Alex is going to love it," she said genuinely.

They gathered the presents, and placed them under the tree. "I think some holiday cheer is in order," Joey said.

"You do, do you?" Pacey asked skeptically. "You don't seem the type for holiday cheer."

"Hey, this is the most glorious time of the year," she said. "When else would it be socially acceptable for a woman to bite you in the store."

He grinned. "So what are you going to do?"

She stood next to the radio. "Christmas music?"

"Just as long as it's not those barking jingle dogs," he said.

She turned on the radio to hear "Jingle Bell Rock," and Joey began to uncharacteristically dance around the living room. Pacey laughed as she pulled him toward her, forcing him to join her. In her frenzy she tripped, and fell into his arms. The sweet sounds of Nat King Cole began to come from the radio.

"You ever hear of destiny? Fate?" he asked her quietly. She still hadn't moved from his embrace.

"I have," she said. "Big theme today. Why?"

He grinned. "You fell in my arms, a slow song came on. Miss Potter, it's time to put your dancing shoes on."

"Mr. Witter, I feel so honored that you sort of asked," she joked. They began dancing, as Pacey led a simple box step. "Why I had no idea that you knew all this fancy stuff."

"I'm a renaissance man," he said. "I'm good at a lot of things."

She raised an eyebrow. "How are you at baking cookies?"

He smiled, as he spun her around. "Better than I am at making eggs."

"We'd better get started then," she said. "Santa might be hungry tonight."

"Sounds like a plan," he said, watching her walk into the kitchen. I think I already got my present.

* * * * *

Pacey sat next to Alex, who was snug in Bessie's bed, as he finished off a sugar cookie. "Okay," Pacey said. "Enough stalling, little man. If you don't go to sleep, Santa might just skip your house."

"Don't tell him that," Joey said, as she entered the room. "Uncle Pacey's just jealous because he was always on Santa's naughty list."

"Were you?" Alex asked wide-eyed.

"Maybe once or twice," Pacey said, more serious than Joey would've wanted. "But you've been good, so there's nothing to worry about as long as you go to sleep."

"Okay," Alex said, taking the last bite of the cookie. "You know, you guys make good cookies. You commantizated."

"We what?" Pacey said.

"We cooperated," Joey said.

Alex rolled his eyes at Pacey. "That's what I said. You two should do that all the time."

"What? Cooperate?" Pacey asked.

"Yeah," Alex said. He looked at them both seriously. "Uncle Pacey, you'd make a good daddy. Aunt Joey, you'd make a good mommy." His eyes lit up like he'd had a revelation. "You guys should have a baby."

Joey nearly choked. Pacey just smiled. "Don't you think we're a little too young to have a baby?" he asked Alex.

"No!" Alex said. "You guys are old."

"We are, huh?" Joey asked.

"Yeah," Alex said. "Know what, though?"

"What?" Joey asked with a smile.

He used his finger, motioning for her to come closer. He whispered in her ear. It was the whisper of a child, which meant the whole room could hear it anyway. "You would have to be his girlfriend first."

"Oh," Joey said, nodding her head.

"Yeah," Alex said. "Would you like that?"

"You'd better go brush your teeth. We don't want Santa to think you're not sleeping tonight," Joey said, trying to change his train of thought.

"Okay," he said, hopping up, and heading to the bathroom.

Joey looked at Pacey nervously. "Kids . . ."

"Say the darndest things," he said, smiling. "You don't have to explain."

"I know that," she said. "I just didn't want you getting all weird on me. Someone telling you that you'd be a good father, that might go to your head or something."

He smiled genuinely. "It did."

The thought made her heart . . . flutter. Joey Potter's heart fluttered at the thought of Pacey being a dad. It was ironic. She would have never imagined that Pacey could have this kind of effect on her, and for a brief second, she could almost imagine the two of them tucking their child in on Christmas eve. 'Get a grip, Joey,' she told herself. 'This is Pacey we're talking about here.'

"Okay, all brushed," Alex said, running the room, and knocking Joey out of her thought.

"Let's see," she said. He smiled his biggest smile, showing his newly cleaned teeth. She gave him a nod of approval, as he snuggled next to his pillow.

"'Night, stinker," she said, rubbing his hair. "Don't get me up early tomorrow."

"I will!" he said laughing. "'Night, aunt Joey. 'Night, uncle Pacey."

"'Night, kiddo," Pacey said. He walked out of the room, and Joey shut the light out and closed the door behind her.

* * * * *

After playing Santa and putting all the presents for Alex under the tree, Pacey and Joey headed for bed.

Pacey laid in the floor next to Joey's bed. "Hey, Jo?" he said, breaking the silence of the dark room.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks," he said. "I had fun today."

"I'm glad," she said. "I had a lot of fun with you too."

"I couldn't have found another person I would've wanted to spend Christmas with," he said.

She smiled inside. "You know what? I don't think that I could've either."

"Thanks, Jo," he said.

She looked at the clock. "Hey, Pace."

"Yeah?"

"Merry Christmas," she said. "After twelve."

He sat up, and looked at the clock. "So it is," he said. "Merry Christmas. I think this is going to be a good one."

"Me too," she said. She flipped on the light, and grabbed something from underneath the bed. "Here," she said, handing him a perfectly wrapped box.

"I guess it is officially Christmas," he said, pulling a box from his bag. "You first."

She gently opened the small box. Inside was a delicate looking ring.

"I wasn't sure what to get," he said. "I know that you don't wear any jewelry, but I figured that now might be a good time for you to start. I mean, something about it made me think it was for you."

"I love it," she said, slipping it on her finger. "Where'd you get it?"

"One of those antique stores we went to. You were digging through this box of books in the back, and this lady came in with this ring. Her friend had given it to her before he went away to fight in World War II. He had been her confidante, and he knew that she would miss him badly once he left, so he told her that as long as she wore the ring they would always and forever be connected."

Joey was almost crying as she listened. "Don't tell me he died there."

Pacey smiled. "No. He wrote her letters every week from Germany, and she wrote back. They fell in love. When he came back, they got married."

"That's so sweet," Joey said. "Why'd she want to sell it?"

"She told me that it had done her well for years, and that she didn't need the ring to connect her to him, because she always held him in her heart. She said that she wanted a young person to feel the same way she did. So I asked her to sell it to me."

"So you could give it to me?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I know that we're graduating soon, and you're probably going to be going off to some big Ivy League college. It doesn't mean that you have to lose your confidante, because I'll always be with you."

She smiled, as she was ready to cry. "Thank you," she said, handing him her present. "Your turn."

He opened the present cautiously, and removed a worn book. "Catcher in the Rye," he read off the cover.

"Yeah," she said. "The tale of a tragic hero," she said. "Common story of a misunderstood boy trying to find himself; trying to figure out how to be a man. The lead character -- he could be you."

"What's this?" he asked, fumbling with a bright yellow post-it note that was sticking out of the book. He opened the book to the page it was marking.

"Read it," she said.

He read the marked passage aloud. "'And yet I still act sometimes like I was only about twelve. Everbody says that, especially my father. It's partly true, too, but it isn't all true. I don't give a damn, except I get bored sometimes when people tell me to act my age. Sometimes I act a lot older than I am -- I really do -- but people never notice it. People never notice anything.'" He looked up at her.

"Maybe I'm starting to notice," she said, giving him a gentle smile.

He didn't know what to say. Joey had never been like this before. The best thing, he thought, would be to joke. This moment was way too serious for him. Pacey smiled. "And you couldn't get a new copy?"

"That's an early edition from the antique store," she said. "Besides, it reminds me of you too."

"How so?"

"It's worn and torn on the outside, when really it's hiding something truly great on the inside."

"You think I'm hiding something great on the inside?" he asked.

"I did," she said, "but I don't think that you're hiding it from me any more."

"You're the one person who understands that," he said simply.

"Good," she said. "I'm glad it's me."

"We'd better get to sleep," Pacey said. "Alex will be up at the crack of dawn."

"Okay," she said, shutting the light out, and nestling back in her bed.

"Jo?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks," Pacey said. "For everything."

"Thank you," she replied. "For everything."

"'Night, Jo."

"'Night, Pace."

* * * * *

Joey slowly began to awake, realizing that someone was shaking her. "It's too early, Alex," she snapped.

"Josephine, wake up. It's me, Shane."

Joey groggily sat up. "What do you want now?" she asked.

"I've got a problem," he said.

"Will you be quiet? You'll wake Pacey."

"Pacey can't hear me," he said.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"I sorta kinda did something that I shouldn't have."

"What's that?"

"Just about everything that I did last night."

"What do you mean?"

"You see," Shane said. "I'm not supposed to mess with matters of the heart."

"I am not following you."

Shane sighed. "It's simple. Since you and Pacey hang out all the time, his angel Courtney and I are together a lot."

"Angels hang out together? Pacey has a girl angel?"

"Don't go there on me right now. We were just sitting around without much to do, and Cupid came meandering in. He asked us how things between you are going, and we told him there was no change. Cupid's a patient man, but you two were getting to be too much for him. He basically told us that the case would be hopeless without some divine intervention."

"Let me guess," Joey said. "You decided to be the divine intervention."

"Yeah," Shane said. "Courtney knew Pacey was about to hit a rocky patch, so we cooked up this plan. Now we could get into big trouble."

"Why?"

"Because angels shouldn't get involved with matters of the heart."

"But you helped me to see Pacey in a new light, and I like it," she said. "That's good, right? I mean, it could work eventually." Shane had a sad look on his face. "What? What is it?" she asked.

"Because Courtney and I got involved, your meant-to-be status with Pacey may have a changed." She looked at him blankly, not wanting to hear the words. "Joey?" he asked.

"So even if we do fall in love now, we might not be able to be together?" Joey asked.

"Yes," Shane said. "The last thing I wanted to do was mess this up, because you two are meant to be together."

"So what's going to happen?" she asked.

"I don't know," he said. "It's out of my hands now."

"Fix it," she said.

"What?" he asked. "You hated Pacey yesterday."

"Maybe I did," she said. "But things are different now. Besides, it's not fair for you to be able to mess up my future. Fix it!"

"I'll do what I can," he said.

"You'd better," she said seriously. "Don't let him slip away from me."

"I'll do what I can," he repeated.

"Wait!" she said. "The bad thing that was going to happen to him tomorrow still isn't going to happen is it?"

"I don't know," he said. "Courtney and I are going to take care of things."

She nodded, as she fell back onto her pillow.

* * * * *