Login     Help

7.11 - Aftershocks by Deb, BeatrizRC, Karen, Janet

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Early morning, Capeside.

The camera pans across the creek on a crisp winter morning, although all traces of snow seem to be gone. Someone knocks on a door and waits a few moments before the door opens. The camera angle changes so that we are now seeing who is knocking on the door.

"Morning Andie." Pacey says still sounding sleepy.

"Morning to you, too, Pacey!" She sounds upbeat and chipper.

"How can you still do that?" He asks her wondering how she can be so cheerful all the time as she pushes him inside the house. "I bet you could be dead on your feet at the hospital and still, you’re sunshine, Andie."

"You’d be sadly disappointed then if you were to see me on the bad end of a thirty-six hour shift then." Andie quips as she lets him in, leading him in the direction of the kitchen.

He makes a pained face. "Is the rest of the gang awake?"

"Just finishing with breakfast."

"Morning, Grams! Morning, Jack." Pacey says as he makes a bee-line for Amy sitting in her high chair. "Morning, Miss Amy!" He beams down at her before kissing the top of her head, to her enjoyment.

"Morning, Pacey. Can I get you some breakfast?"

"I’ve already eaten thanks, Grams. I wouldn’t say no to a cup of coffee, though."

She smiles at him as she pours him some coffee.

Jack eyes him suspiciously and glances at his watch. "What are you doing here so early? I thought you didn’t know what the a.m hours looked like unless it was dark outside."

"Your words wound me. They do." Pacey rolls his eyes. "I actually just stopped by to tell you all that I have to go back to New Orleans today."

"I thought you were going to hang around for a few more days." Andie says, disappointment evident in her voice. "Until everything with…" She trails off as she glances to Jack and to Amy.

"I really want to stay, but I can’t be away from the restaurant any longer. It was a bit of a stretch getting away this long as it is, especially at this time of year." He says before drinking some of his coffee.

"When do you leave?" Jack asks.

"Tonight, but before that, I have a few errands to run." He takes a sip of coffee again, his face pensive for a moment, then he moves closer to where Amy sits. "I’m not sure if Jen ever told you this, but I promised her that I’d try and help with taking care of Amy. I feel as though I somehow haven’t been keeping to my word…"

Jack cuts in. "You know very well that Jen would understand. You have your life and it’s no longer in this state or town."

(Parts of "Farewell To The Old Me" by Dar Williams can be heard in the background)

How can I ask love to hold the mystery
When just look at me
It's all push and pull collateral

"I know that." He smiles. "But I can always do something, even if it’s small. I mean, I’m always going to be Uncle Pacey. No one can ever hope of replacing me there. What I really came to say is that if you ever need anything or if I’m needed here at any point, no matter how tough it gets, you just have to lift that phone and I’ll be here as quick as humanly possible. I intend to still uphold what I told Jen."

"Thanks Pacey." Jack smiles. "That really means a lot."

I don't want to be the one who gets the next surprise

I'll plan it out this time

"It’s the least I can do." He glances at his watch and then takes a gulp of coffee. "I really should be heading out. If I can, I will try and stop by again before I leave."

Andie watches closely as Pacey lifts Amy from her high chair. "You remember to be a good girl for Uncle Pacey, won’t you? Yes you will." He kisses the top of her head again before placing her back in the high chair.

"I'll see you guys later."

"You make sure and have a safe trip." Grams instructs him.

"I will do my best."

"I would have made you a packed lunch had I known you were leaving."

Pacey laughs. "I will try to remember that next time."

Though I used to think that things were meant to be

Andie walks him to the door and they are both silent until they get there and Andie speaks.

"You do know that works both ways, don’t you?"

"What do you mean?"

'Cause I don't wanna be the one who makes you laugh out loud

"If you ever need someone…" She smiles weakly. "I’m always here for you."

"How long for?"

"For however long you would need me for." She finishes and as she does, they fall into this lingering hug. "I just wish you could stay longer."

"Me, too," Pacey replies, "We never seem to get enough time before one of us has to leave."

"I know." Andie says, breaking the hug softly.

"Let’s try and keep in touc more and, new concept, even try and meet up more often."

I wanna make you proud

"That’s a novel idea." He smirks as they break the hug. "But for now, I've got something to do," he says, with a distant look for a brief moment "Something that will make you proud," he comments brightly, shaking his finger as he trots away.

"Pacey!" Andie calls.

"Yeah?" he asks, turning around and walking again up to her the few steps that separated them.

"You always made me proud, mister ‘I got an A in history’ ".

Pacey smiles wide and bright at the memory. Rain, a car, and a 16 years old Andie. "I’ll see you soon, okay?" he says.

"Yeah!" She nods and Pacey looks at her intensely.

"I promise," he says, making sure she can see he is being serious.

And you always said you knew what I could be

"I know," she laughs, gently pushing him out the house, knowing he has things to do even though she would have liked him to stay for a little longer.

So farewell to the old me
Farewell to the old me

"Okay," he smiles for the last time at her before turning around and leave.

Andie leans on the door frame, staying there until he is out of sight.

CREDITS

Audrey’s car. In front of the Leery house.

As Audrey kills the ignition, she glances at Dawson’s house before turning to Joey.

"Doesn’t it ever feel …I don’t know, strange being here at Dawson’s when he’s not here?"

"Why would it?"

"I don’t know. Just always thought of it as 'Dawson’s house', like it’s a sacred place or something. Am I even making sense?"

Joey shakes her head, looking at her with an amused expression in her face. "No, not really."

"I’m only rambling because I want to somehow take your mind off of you going in there to speak to Gale."

"I’m perfectly fine, Audrey. I know what I have to say."

"About you and Dawson…" She trails off looking for the right words.

"Knocking boots?" Joey offers.

"I was actually gonna go for making love, but we’ll go with your term. You’re okay with this?" She asks.

"Yeah, well kind of. I know what I want now. I mean, I really know what I want."

"You’re not scared?"

"No…yeah."

"Bunny!" Audrey says sympathetically as she squeezes Joey’s glove covered hand. "Talk to me."

"I’m scared that I may have just notched up my second one night stand, and it was with the same guy as the first."

"You really want this?"

"Yes!"

"Good." Audrey states as she retreats her hand, placing it back on the steering wheel. "Do you need me to give you another pep talk?"

"No."

"Then get out of the car, cause I am wasting valuable shopping time here."

Joey rolls her eyes and they hug briefly before kissing each other on the cheek.

"See you later."

"Hopefully I will return with lots of shopping bags." Audrey makes a face and scrunches her nose. "Although in this town, that probably won’t happen."

As Audrey drives out of sight, Joey walks up the porch steps with a bounce in her step. She knocks on the door and is surprised when it is answered right away by Gale.

"Oh...Hi, Joey. This is a surprise." Gale greets Joey, the surprise evident in her voice.

"Hi, Gale. Can I come in?"

"Well of course you can, honey," Gale says, gently pushing her inside, her hand on Joey’s back, rubbing it gently.

Cut to inside the Leery living room.

"It’s so nice to get an unexpected visit from you. How are you, Joey?" Gale asks as she hands Joey a cup of coffee.

"I’m fine, how are you?" Joey asks, suddenly wanting to prolong what she came here to say.

"I’m a little sad." Gale tells her, eyeing her curiously with the corner of her eye. "Would you believe I miss our boy so much already?" she asks with a innocent voice.

"Well, you’re his mother. It’s to be expected." Joey replies, knowing full well she said "our" boy.

"You would think that, with the amount of times he’s gone and the length of time he is away for, I would have somehow built up immunity to him leaving."

"But you don’t and sometimes you even begin to miss them before they leave."

Gale nods in agreement trying to read into Joey’s expression, then she has a distant look in her eyes as she remembers a time from before, when she knew Mitch was leaving. "It makes you cherish the moments you have with them before that feeling comes." She smiles directly at Joey. "I just try to focus on when he’s here and try not to succumb to the fact that he’ll leave again soon."

This time it’s Joey’s turn to nod, knowing that feeling all too well.

"When Dawson is here, it's like I have a bigger part of Mitch with me, and when he leaves…"

"You start to dwell on the past?" Joey voices and Gale seems slightly taken aback that Joey understands what she means.
Gale chuckles. "You talk like you know what I go through."

Joey nods. "Oh yes, I do." She frowns her eyebrows and try to find the right words. "I’ve been thinking over a lot of things recently, but not really dwelling on it until I was re-reading this book I once read for my Hispanic Literature class. ‘My Invented Country’ by Isabel Allende. Have you ever read it?"

("An Uncommon Love" by Carole King starts playing in the background)

"No."

"It was sort of autobiographical and also reflected on how we choose our past. There’s this particular part in the book I really loved, were Allende speaks of her grandson. How he once told her that he wished he could live in an imaginary world like she did, where things that never really happened are, somehow exalted, idealized and turned into memories. Yeah, the past has a way of rewriting itself as we grow old, and I’ve realized that that is exactly what I did, what I’ve been doing for a number of years. With the difference that I took the past I had and completely rewrote it, creating this new one that I let rule me and my choices. Making me do and say things that weren’t true to me, to what I had lived." Joey pauses for a moment and takes a sip of her coffee. Then, after casting a glance to Gale, who is listening to her with attention, she decides to go for the killer.

Why do we isolate each other
All the walls we build between us
Make it so hard to be together

"Like Dawson and me. Somehow I buried certain parts of our history; put it all in a far, safe place. A place I knew I’d never really look, where I thought I’d be allowed to move on. But I didn’t. How can you truly give up something if, at one point, it was all you ever wanted? If it’s never really had a chance and you come to realize that it deserves that chance, and that’s what you want more than anything?"

Gale doesn’t reply, instead she looks at Joey with intense curiosity.

How can we tear at one another
When the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love

"He’s my soulmate. I know that and so does he. It just so happens there are different types of soulmates and we’ve never really taken the time to define which we are. But I know now what we are. I’m ready to be what I was hiding from. I know that if I never do anything, if I don’t at least try, then I will always regret what could have been."

Walls can fall, tears can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

"It’s scary isn’t it?" Gale asks and Joey’s eyes fall on Gale again, as though she forgot for a moment that she was talking to someone. "Knowing that one decision, one wrong move, could lead to something you regret. When I was unfaithful to Mitch… it was so stupid. I had so many reasons for doing what I did, yet at the same time, I had none. After Mitch and I separated, I was foolish enough to even believe that my happiness was dependant on being with him. But it wasn’t. You can’t depend on anyone but yourself for your own happiness."

Joey nods her head in agreement as Gale's eyes well up a little with tears.

Here on two sides of the truth
We've a middle ground in common
We have an uncommon love

"I felt like I was no one without Mitch. It was only once I cut the cord that I realized I could be happy. Maybe it was realizing this that brought him back to me. If soulmates really exist, there is no question about it...he was mine. He’s still with me everywhere I go. That doesn’t stop me from loving John, though. Because I know Mitch would have wanted me to be happy. I know that if Mitch were here, John wouldn’t be. Because Mitch was destined for me. My love for John is different. I’m not sure if you will know what I mean."

Joey looks at her thoughtfully, reflecting on the guys that have been in her life and how they all were somehow a substitute for Dawson, yet never quite living up to that expectation, even though she did love them, in her own way.

Time can heal, hearts can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

"Yeah, I know." The two women smile at each other knowing that they share a common bond.

"Gale…" Joey takes a deep breath. "I know you probably know what happened between Dawson and me."

"Yeah, I pretty much heard you fight. I didn’t mean to, but it was really hard not to." Joey’s head bows down a little embarrassed. It’s true. They truly forgot they weren’t alone. "I’m sorry for that, by the way. I know you are adults now, but it seems like things are just the same than they were years ago, aren’t they?"

Joey replies quickly. "They don’t have to be. That’s why I came here. I knew you knew, and I want you to know my aim isn’t to hurt Dawson…"

When will we ever learn
That the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love

"I know that, Joey." Gale interrupts and sighs. "Believe me, I do. We just have this profound ability to hurt the ones we care about the most."

Joey knows only too well. "I know I’ve hurt him in the past. I only hope I have the chance to make up for all of that."

We have an uncommon love
An uncommon love

Before Gale can respond, Lily enters the room and a big smile spreads across her face on seeing Joey.

"Joey!"

"Hello there, Miss Lily. How are you today?"

"I’m good. Momma and I are going shopping. Wanna come?"

Joey looks from Lily to Gale and back to Lily again. "Not now, but next time, you bet."

Gale clears the coffee cups from the table and moves towards the kitchen as Joey puts her coat on. As she wraps her scarf around her neck, she notes Lily looking at her with a very curious look on her face.

"Okay, no shopping. But what about a movie? Joey, would you like to watch a movie with me?"

Joey is amused by the question and smiles at her. "Sure, anytime."

"What about now?"

"Lily, aren’t you coming with me to the mall? I thought we were going together and picking up Alex on the way," Gale asks with evident surprise. Lily never says no to spending a moment with Alex. The girl seems to be pondering her thoughts.

"No, I’d prefer Joey to stay here if possible. I’ll call Alex and let him know," she says, turning her hopeful eyes to Joey.

"Honey, Joey may have things to do..." Gale tries to explain but she is interrupted by Joey.

"No, it’s okay, Gale. If she doesn’t feel like shopping, we can stay here and watch some movies until you come back. I would love to watch a movie with Lily," she beams at her, curious to see what the girl has in store.

"Great!" Lily exclaims, beaming back.

Dawson’s LA office. Early morning.

Samantha stands leaning on the door frame of Dawson’s office. She’s been standing there for a few minutes now and has noticed the far off look in his eyes as he sits at his desk. She starts to hum a tune, trying to get his attention. She clears her throat and still nothing. Samantha lightly calls his name as she walks towards his desk. Once she’s in front of it, she waves her hand in front of his face.

"This is planet Earth calling Dawson. Come back to us, Dawson."

"Huh?"

"Hey, Dawson." Sam says her voice upbeat and sunny as she smiles at him. "Welcome back!"

"Hi. What can I do for you?"

She just folds her arms and stands above him, looking at him with curiosity.

"What?"

"Where were you just now?" She asks, almost certain she’ll have to prod for information.

"Just thinking." He shrugs.

"About?"

"Nothing…everything. Life…love."

"Brunette, tall, crooked smile, owner of that distinct Capeside charm when you first meet her. Am I close on any of the above?"

"How’d you guess?"

She rolls her eyes. "Just lucky. Spill already."

"We slept together."

"You mean like Sammy and Colby?" She asks, her face poker straight.

He just looks at her in that ‘you know what I mean, don’t make me tell it all’ way.

"Oh. How was it?"

He runs a hand though his hair. "Great!" He replies, not exactly over-enthusiastically.

"Sounds like it!" She waits a moment for him to add more and when he doesn’t she asks, "Why aren’t we happier about this? What does it mean?"

"She wants us to try again…" he trials off.

"But you have some reservations?"

"You could say that. We’ve been down this road so many times before."

"Really?" Sam asks, not really expecting him to reply, so she continues. "The impression I always had was that you had actually been together no more than three times and the last time it was for less than twenty-four hours. Everyone makes mistakes, Dawson. Nobody is flawless. Not you or I, and not Joey. Should she be made to pay for hurting you all those years ago? Should you be made to pay for hurting her? Who wins in this situation?" She starts pacing in front of his desk now.
"You said it yourself...it was great. She wants to be with you now. The only person standing in the way of that happening is you." She stops pacing and looks him directly in the eye. "You’re the only person standing in the way of your happiness. You’re so concerned with thinking it won't work, but isn’t it better to love and be loved for a little while than not at all?" She puts some papers down on his desk. "Think about what I said. Don’t be stubborn about this. Leave it me to miss all of this. I’m away from you for how long and everything happens?" She shakes her head.

Dawson just roles his eyes and doesn’t look at all amused and Sammy’s response is to just smile down at him and wink.

"Now that we’ve pretty much dissected my love life, what’s going on with you and Ethan?"

"That would be for me to know and for you to find out!" She states, sticking her tongue out at Dawson.

"Trust me, I’m trying to find out. You’re just not being very forthcoming with the details."

"I think that, for now, I want to refrain from comment."

"Why?"

"I don’t want to hex it."

"Okay, I can understand that."

"But as soon as I feel the need to shout it from the rooftops, you will be the first person I tell," Sam tells him before swiftly changing the subject. "So, looking forward to the big party?" She asked, referring to the big New Year's Eve party that the network throws each year.

"Hmm, not really."

"Rather be somewhere else?" Dawson nods and she enquires. "With someone else?"

"You could say that! I had such high hopes for spending New Year's with Mom and Lily. Haven't gotten to do that for awhile." Dawson voice twists with regret as his words trail off to a place that Sam can not follow. His tone changes as he asks, "How about you?"

"Not really looking forward to it. When that bell chimes, I won’t have anyone to kiss." Her grin warms like honey. "Not like last year."

"I thought that after you stuck your tongue in my mouth at the stroke of midnight last year, we agreed neither of us would mention that again."

She shrugs. "What’s the point in being friends if we can’t joke about things we did when we were drunk?"

"You mean when you were drunk?"

She rolls her eyes. "Details, Dawson, stupid little insignificant details. And if memory serves me correct, you weren’t exactly protesting."

"Hey, I was caught totally unaware."

"That’s why you pulled me back in for another kiss?"

He smiles at her. "You could always ask Ethan. I’m sure he’d be a more than willing subject."

"I think he said something about his family." She tells him over her shoulder as she moves towards the hallway. "You play your cards right, Leery, and I may let you see in New Year’s with me again. By now, just remember thatI´ll pick you up tonight for dinner"

"Aren’t I just the luckiest guy ever?" He calls to her once she’s out of the room, before chuckling.

Outside Maddie’s house, Capeside.

A faint breeze rustles the leaves of a large tree overhanging a neat white house. A dog is huddled on the top step, attempting to gain some warmth from the last rays of the late afternoon sun. It lifts its head at the sound of an approaching vehicle. A car drives slowly into view and Pacey Witter leans his head out the driver’s side window. His eyes look to the brass house number 42 and his face reflects some of the unease he is feeling, as his destination is confirmed. Pulling over to the curb, Pacey parks the car, shutting off the engine.

The large Rottweiler maintains his avid interest at this potential threat to his master’s domain and gazes fixedly at the car.
Pacey noting, for the first time the steady regard of the dog, lets out an audible sigh.

"Great. A dog. Me and dogs have always gotten along oh so well."

He leans back in his seat, momentarily pleased at this presentation of an excuse for not getting out of the car. He has mixed feelings about this visit. He has a strong sense of what should be done, and on the other hand a normal human reluctance at enduring the pain that frequently accompanies doing the right thing. "Although," he inwardly argues to himself, "this could be considered going over and above doing the right thing. This could be being noble to the point of stupidity."

Pacey turns and returns the stare of the dog, his mind suddenly made up.

"No, my friend. I will not be thwarted by a large and slobbering canine." He resolutely opens the car door and walks up the flagged stone pathway.

The Rottweiler is instantly on its feet, letting out a loud and incessant string of dog obscenities. He attempts to charge at Pacey, but the short leash tied to the stair railings brings him to an abrupt halt on the third step.

Pacey pauses uncertainly on the second step.

A voice floats out of the house. "What is it? What is it Killer?"

At this last word, Pacey arches an eyebrow and backs slowly down to the first step.
An arm pushes the swinging screen door open, and in response the dog turns its head enquiringly to its master, awaiting the command to fulfill all that his name implies.

The man fills the doorway, broad shouldered, his shirt stretched a little tightly over the beginnings of a paunch stomach.
I don't want to be the one who gets the next surprise

"Hey, how can…" his voice trails away as a light of recognition dawns in his eyes. His tone quickly changes from slightly obliging to one of barely contained outrage. "Now, what the hell are you doing here?"

Pacey smiles, forcing himself to appear relaxed and friendly.

"Well!" the house owner barks again, seconded by a threatening snarl from his canine companion.

"Look, Mr Baxter," Pacey begins. "This is just a sociable visit where I get to say something to you that is long overdue."

Mr Baxter smiles nastily. "If this has anything to do with you complaining to me about any little hassles that have come up at that rat-infested dining dump called the Icehouse, you’ve come to the wrong place. I know nothing about seating permit delays." He finishes by giving a knowing wink at Pacey and crossing his arms challengingly over his chest.

"Oh no," Pacey quickly responds. "I only need a few moments, to clear the air really. I have something to say to let you know how…"

"Hang on," Mr. Baxter interjects. "You have something you really need to say? This could be a lotta fun. In fact, you’re in luck. My lovely and loyal wife is home. I’m sure Maddie’ll enjoy this, too. Come on in."

Pacey´s resolve wavers for a moment, but as Killer has now stepped politely aside and even offered a sloppy lick on the hand as a peace offering, he follows Mr. Baxter up the stairs into the house.

"Here, take a seat, Pacey," he offers with a casual gesture to a wicker chair on the sun porch.

"Who was it, Joe?" A female voice calls from the depths of the house. Joe Baxter grins.

"A mutual friend, honey. Well, your friend really."

Maddie Baxter enters the porch, wiping her hands on a dish cloth.

"What are you talking about?" Her face loses her teasing smile and her mouth forms a silent "oh" as she looks quickly at Pacey. "Look," she starts nervously, glancing at her husband. "I can’t imagine what he’s doing here. What are you doing here, Pacey?" Her uncertainty in the situation shows as she glares challengingly at Pacey.

"Now Maddie, Pacey just has something on his chest that he wants to share. I’m ready, Mr. Witter." Joe settles back in his chair enjoying the obvious discomfort of his wife and her one time lover.

Pacey gives a wry smile.

"Yes, well this feels a little strange, but I really do want to say something to you both. I have been thinking about my life a lot lately and…"

"Hey buddy, this isn’t an episode of Dr Phil. We have got places to be this evening, so let’s speed this up." Joe Baxter stirs restlessly.

"Okay, I just want to say that it was completely wrong of me to, um, to be with Maddie for that month or so. I have felt really ashamed about it because I have always prided myself on not being that guy. Not being the guy who messes with something that has nothing to do with him. Not being the guy who makes other’s problems worse. Not being the guy who thinks only of himself. But, for a while there, I was that guy. And, well, this visit is about saying good-bye to him and just letting you know that guy isn’t who I am and I’m glad."

Pacey pauses and looks directly at Maddie and Joe Baxter who both sit quietly.

"In short, I’m very sorry. I want to say I'm sorry to you, Joe. And to you, too, Maddie." The Baxters both raise their eyebrows slightly. "Thanks for letting me say all that. I don’t need to take up anymore of your time."

(Some more lines of "Farrewell to the old me" play in the background)

And I followed a lot of vital crazy thoughts
Because it's where the meaning was
And I tried to find it every other way

Pacey gets up and, pushing the door open, heads back down the stairs. He has a big grin on his face. For the first time in his life, he hasn’t hesitated. No turning around and leaving once he was in the front door. No second thoughts or doubts.

Farewell to the old me
My life is getting better now
But always changing anyhow

Maddie and Joe Baxter turn to each other, their faces mirroring a look of incredulity. Joe slowly shakes his head, and indecipherable look on his face, deep in thought. Then he gets up and walks back down the hall into the house.

Maddie remains for a moment, looking thoughtfully at Pacey´s car driving away, then gets up and follows her husband, with a puzzled expression on her face.

Farewell to the old me
Farewell to the old me

Set of Dawson’s television show, The Creek, in Los Angeles.

Dawson is watching a rehearsal of a scene between Sammy and Colby, where Sammy and Colby are having an argument. Sammy is arguing tearfully that she needs some space to find out who she is, and Colby is saying that he will help her. It is a painful scene and we see some of the pain reflected in Dawson’s face as he leans in, concentrating on the scene. Clearly, though, the scene is reviving painful memories. When the scene is over, he just looks down for a few moments while the cast waits expectantly for his comments. He is lost in his own thoughts and we know he is conflicted about Joey, thinking about the many times she told him she wanted to be with him but then left him. Finally, one of the actors asks tentatively "Mr. Leery?" and Dawson breaks out of his reverie. "That’s fine," he tells them honestly.

Just then, Dawson feels an unexpected hand grasping his shoulder. "Why so glum, mate?" he hears over his shoulder from the voice belonging to the hand. He looks up to see Todd heartily grasping his shoulder with a big smile on his face. Dawson is surprised and pleased. "Take twenty," he calls out to the actors, and they happily wander off the set, chatting about the scene. Dawson watches them go, reflective for a moment. Then his attention turns to Todd.

"How’s my favorite executive producer?" Dawson asks Todd with a warms smile, pleased to see his friend.

"You ask?. I’ve already been in this dusty backwater hellhole of a set for two months now, how do you think I am?" Todd responds heartily, obviously joking and not really complaining about his role in the set since Dawson left for New York. "God save us from teenage angst and tender love. Blood, boobs and booze is more my idea of a right good story!"

Dawson just smiles, used to his friend’s ways. Todd grabs a chair near Dawson and sits down.

"Best job you ever had, Todd. And you don’t even have to direct." Dawson reminds him. "And a good dental plan," Dawson adds straight-faced but with a hint of a smile lurking.

"You sweet-talker you. I should never have listened to you. Silver-tongued, you are. I can’t believe you talked me into keeping an eye on things while you are gone," Todd pretends to complain. Dawson just smiles. Todd smiles back, pleasure written on his face. "It’s good to see you on the set again, mate."

"Believe or not, it’s actually good to be here. Not that I don’t love working in New York, but this set has been my home away from home for a long time, despite how much I may have complained about it…"

"Well, I wouldn’t get too broken up about it, mate. With the number of problems coming up on almost a daily basis since you’ve been gone, you could easily find it your second home again."

"God, I hope not. I can’t devote much time to it at all."

"Ah yes, the new assistant director and sometimes-writer for Spielberg’s first foray into the medium of the masses, otherwise known as the boob-tube."

"I prefer to call it television," Dawson comments dryly. "And I will be only one of many assistant directors." He pauses.
"Besides, this is a really good show," he declares enthusiastically. "Who would have ever thought that Spielberg would decide to create some of his magic on television? I think the show is going to be a huge hit! It can’t miss!"

"I hope you’re right, kid."

"I know I’m right." Dawson asserts with certainty.

"That’s what I like to see. Optimism! " Todd eyes the set. "I wish I were so optimistic about this bloomin’ disaster."

"It’ll be fine," Dawson assures him calmly. "I just needed to get everyone on the same page."

"Who knew that writers could be such a pain in the bum, ey mate? Half of them want Colby and Sammy together always no matter what, and the other half don’t care if they give each other the time of day. The writers are bloody daft, mate!"

Dawson smiles a little. "Welcome to my world and all that is in it."

"Hey, very funny," Todd says with a little grimace.

"It’ll be fine," Dawson assures him again. "And if I have to come back occasionally to beat a little sense into the ‘bloody writers’, I’ll do it. I’m not letting this show go by the wayside. It still means a lot to me. Although I have to admit, working with Spielberg on such a great project has been more than exciting…it’s been…."

"Cataclysmic?"

"I was going more for phenomenal, amazing…but since we’re talking Spielberg, cataclysmic just about describes it." He pauses. "But being right there with Spielberg to help put this project together, being his right hand man, his advisor …I must admit it is a bit mind-blowing." Dawson grins broadly and his eyes sparkle. "Who would have ever thought that Spielberg would ever ask me to help him do something so…fantastic? " He pauses in a moment, a look of bemused wonderment on his face, and for a moment we see a glimpse of Dawson at fifteen.

"Thank goodness Joey talked me into taking the job. Without her encouragement, I’m not sure I would have gone for it." He pauses again. "She reminded me that not all 25 year olds are lucky enough to get the opportunity to have their childhood dream come true."

"Score one for Joey," Todd smiles.

Dawson smiles. "Yeah, score one for Joey," he repeats a little softly.

Gale’s living room.

After saying good bye to Bessie and hanging up the phone, Joey tosses a strand of rich, dark hair over a shoulder and draws her legs up under her, feeling a little of the chill creeping into the morning air. The large sheets of the Capeside Chronicle are spread out on her lap and every now and then a half smile creeps over her face as an item captures her attention and confirms her still sometimes cynical view of the small town concept of news.

She is relaxed here. Here in the comfortable depths of the cream-colored linen arm chair. Here in the warm and inviting living room. Here surrounded by photos of a smiling family and their friends. It is a room in which she has felt welcomed since she was 5 years old. The side table next to the chair holds two pewter framed photos that convey Joey Potter’s connection with her surroundings. One is of a smiling Alexander with ten month old Lily perched precariously on his chubby lap; the other, a candid snap shot of a six year old Joey poking her tongue out at a serious looking Dawson, two small school back-packs at their feet. The Potter's have always felt at home with the Leery´s.

Joey looks up from the paper at the sound of footsteps to see Gale entering the room. She smiles at the woman.

"Are you sure about this?" Gale asks.

Joey’s eyebrows lift in surprise. "Sure about what?"

"Looking after Lily now. I’m sure a beautiful young woman has better places to spend her day."

Joey laughs, stretching out her arms as she folds up the paper.

"I can think of nowhere else I’d rather be. Lily keeps me young."

Gale rolls her eyes. "Spoken with the true naiveté of youth. Sweetie, you don’t need anything to keep you young at your age."
Taking a quick glance at her watch, Gale walks towards the door. "Well, if everything is fine, I’d better go. I have so many things to buy and then I gotta go to the restaurant and all…" she kinda explains to herself as she exits the place.

"Have a great day," Joey calls after her.

"We sure will. Won’t we, Joey?" Lily enters the living room from the kitchen, a large bowl of freshly-popped popcorn held in her arms.

"I can see where you’ve been hiding," Joey gives Lily with an amused grin.

"I wanted to wait till I had your undivided attention so I can explain the plan."

Joey arches an eyebrow and struggles to maintain a straight face. "So what is the plan?"

"Popcorn and," Lily picks up a DVD lying face down on the coffee table, "movies. I’ve wanted to have our very own movie night just like you and Dawson used to, but I guess morning can work, too." She smiles brightly at Joey.

"I should have guessed," Joey laughs shaking her head."So," she queries, "what’s the movie?"

"Sweet Home Alabama," Lily holds up the DVD case briefly as she inserts the disc into the machine.

"Now, wait a minute," Joey gives a mock frown. "I know this movie goes back a few years, but wasn’t it completely and utterly sappy?"

"Sappy?!" Lily squeals. "I prefer to call it a classic example of the genre, romantic comedy."

Joey laughs at the resemblances with Dawson, even at such a young age "Okay, if you say so."

"And after that, we have another one that you may know, since it is old," Lily comments naturally to Joey shocking surprise.

"Oh. Yeah. Sure. If it’s old, then I’m sure I know it," she tries to hide her laughter.

"When Harry met Sally," Lily holds up a DVD case for Joey to see.

"When Harry met Sally? Isn’t that a little…?" she asks concerned, but Lily doesn’t allow her to finish the phrase.

"Yeah, I know. I’m mature for my age," she replies, shrugging her shoulders. Joey laughs once more.

"Okay, you sold me. Let’s watch them."

Lily grins broadly. "Oh, and a little known fact. Did you know there’s a scene in "Sweet Home Alabama" that was filmed on the main floor at Tiffany's in New York, where only two other movies, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "When Harry Met Sally", have ever been allowed to film?"

Joey reaches across and throws a cushion at Lily’s head. "Stop it. Stop. You are sounding just like your brother."

Amid giggles, Lily presses the play button before throwing popcorn at Joey. Joey laughs, rolling her eyes a little and settles further back into the cushions.

They watch the movies, for the most part, with little discussion. The only interruptions are the bowl of popcorn passed back and forth and an occasional giggle or sigh, depending on the comedic or romantic quality of the scene. As the credits of the last one start rolling on the screen, Lily presses the stop button on the remote and sits back on the sofa with a faint furrow on her brow. Almost with the same expression on her face, Joey is sitting by her side.

"So I was just thinking..." Lily's voice trails away.

"Yeah, me too," Joey replies, some of the scenes of the movies re-playing in her head. "You first. What were you thinking about?" Joey prompts.

"About what soulmates are. Dawson explained it to me once and I've been watching movies like these to try and figure it out some more."

"And how is this field of research progressing?" Joey asks, her interest roused at the mention of Dawson.

"Well, I'm still confused. Soulmates seem to mean lots of different things and I really want to figure it out because I don't like being confused." Lily pouts a little. Joey smiles in understanding.

"I don't like being confused, either. So I'll tell you what I think soulmates are, and maybe that will clear things up a little."

"Okay," Lily eyes Joey expectantly.

"Well, for some people there is a special connection, a bond between them. You know, like we were talking about soulmates. Two people, who know each other really well, better than anyone else knows them. They’re there for you, they go with you wherever you go, and they help you go through life and love you always. Because of this connection, no matter what happens in life or how you think you’ve changed, if you’ve ever had this kind of bond, it ’s just not gonna be broken. That other person will never be really gone and while you’ve got each other, you can’t be alone. And for two people who are this connected, it's got to be more than friendship. It's real...love, and pure…magic." Joey’s heart flutters at her own words and, without meaning to, her eyes stray to the childhood photo of her and Dawson.

Lily follows the direction of Joey's gaze. "Are you and Dawson soulmates?"

The direct question catches Joey off guard.

"Well, yes. Yes, we are." She adds a little more confidently.

"So," Lily states with beaming smile, "you're his girlfriend."

"Um, no. Not girlfriend as in 'boyfriend-girlfriend', but I am his friend and I am a girl so I guess... well, no, we're more than friends really, so I guess I'm more than a girlfriend but not a..." Joey stops seeing her own confusion mirrored in Lily's face.

"Lily, no I'm not his girlfriend, but I really should be." She makes no attempt to hide the hopefulness in her eyes and the wistful tone of her voice.