Login     Help

Living out loud by Kilby

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."
-- Marcus Aurelius

"I can't believe this!" Dawson shouted. "Of all the things, I've lost the stupid tie!" He began pacing around the room, turning things over looking for the tie.

Pacey stopped him, standing in front of him, placing his hands on his shoulders. "Dawson, you don't have a tie," he said soothingly. "The vest, it comes up to your neck. No tie."

Dawson slumped down defeatedly. "I'm so stressed out," he sighed.

"What's the matter, Dawson?" Pacey asked.

"I'm getting married in a hour!" Dawson exclaimed. "This is a life-altering event, and I'm not sure that I'm ready to handle all that it brings with it."

"Dawson, this anxiety is completely unfounded. You're in love, and you are going to be happily married. You're just getting like this because you're nervous. That's natural before you get married."

"Pacey, it's nice that you have faith, but I'm . . . I'm not sure that I do."

Pacey sat down across from Dawson, and looked him in the eyes. "Last night I was watching you," Pacey said. "Despite everything--and I do mean everything--that was going on, I saw you and Marissa take a break from it all to be alone. If you can find brief fleeting moments like that during times like these, you're going to find them forever."

"Is that good enough?" Dawson asked.

"Yes," Pacey said. "You've loved that girl since the first time you laid eyes on her, and I will not be a happy camper if you back out now. After the salsa lessons and the double dates--you owe me. You owe me the right to see my best friend happy. And don't make a mistake now. Dawson, you deserve to be happy."

Dawson smiled. "Thanks, Pacey," he said.

"Are we calm again?" Pacey asked in a patronizing tone.

"Yes," Dawson said, exhaling a long-held breath.

"Good, because I was considering sedation next," Pacey smiled.

"Can I come in?" they heard from the other side of the door after a knock.

"Come on in, Jo," Pacey said. He couldn't keep the smile from taking over his face. "You look breathtaking," he said. "I told you that you didn't have anything to worry about."

"I should probably start listening to you more often," Joey said.

"Hey, D, I am . . . I'm going to go check on things inside the church, okay? While Joey's here to watch you," Pacey said.

"Pacey, I'm not four years old. Go ahead, I'm fine," Dawson said.

"So how are you doing?" Joey asked, as she sat next to Dawson.

"Better," Dawson said. "Pacey just talked me down."

Joey smiled. "So everything will be going according to plan?"

"Yes, I'm still going to do it, if that's what you mean."

"Good," Joey said. "I'd hate for this to be a wasted trip."

"Can we please not talk about the W-E-D-D-I-N-G for a few minutes," he said. "I'll absolutely lose my mind."

"Is there something else you want to talk about?" she asked.

"You and Pacey were looking awfully cozy last night."

"It's your wedding day, and you want to talk about me and Pacey dancing last night?"

Dawson smiled widely at her. "I saw it in your eyes," he declared proudly.

"Saw what?"

"You're falling for Pacey," he said.

"Dawson, you're--"

"Josephine Potter, don't you lie to me," he demanded. Joey promptly shut her mouth and furrowed her brow, feeling seven years old after being scolded.

"What do you want me to say?" she asked.

"Say what you feel," Dawson said, more gently this time.

"I feel . . . I feel like I've gone outside just after the rain had stopped. I feel like if I look into his eyes, I should be able to see the future so clearly. I feel like we're the only two people in the room when he's with me. I feel giddy when I know he's coming. I feel like I'm falling in love, Dawson," she said.

She saw the pleasure on his face, but continued to talk. "And it scares me."

"Why does it scare you?" he asked.

"Thousands of reasons," she said, as she stood and began to pace the room. "We've seen each other a grand total of five days over the past five years, and we've both changed so much. And he lives here and I live in Paris. And I'm just . . . I'm just not sure . . ."

Dawson smiled warmly and gently took Joey's hand. "Five minutes ago I was ready to back out of this wedding," he began. "Pacey made me see something really clearly, though. No matter how scared you might be, you cannot let what you want slip away from you. Scared can be forever, but he may not be there tomorrow."

"Dawson, I may not be here tomorrow," Joey said. "I don't want to let myself fall in love, and then realize that it could all fall apart because of our jobs. I couldn't handle that."

"I thought you've been looking for a job here these past few days?" he asked.

"I have, Dawson, but I haven't heard anything yet. Besides, my job in Paris is stable and secure."

"So you'd give up Pacey for your job?" he asked.

"I have my job, Dawson. I don't have Pacey," she said.

"Well, I've got to hand it to you. You are being realistic," Dawson said. "I'm just not sure that you're being you."

"Dawson, I--"

"Let's be practical about this, Jo. You and Pacey have the spark that could lead to the fire. I just cannot seem to understand how you would risk losing that because of fear. And it's not fear that has to do with your job, you're afraid to let yourself love."

"Dawson, we've known each other for a long time and we've been through a lot together. And I'm so happy to be here with you when you're about to get married. The last thing you should be stressing about right now is me and what may or may not be with Pacey."

"What will be with Pacey," he said, grinning widely. "Don't try to talk me out of it. I still believe in miracles."

"Fine, Dawson," she said, standing up. "Look, I'd better get back to all the female gushing and bonding."

"Okay, but promise me one thing."

"Sure."

"Don't talk about this, don't even think about it until after the reception," he said.

"I promise," she said. "Good luck."

As she left the room, she saw Pacey sitting on the floor next to the door. She stood on the other side of the hall, resting on her hands and staring down at him.

"Cold feet?" she asked, smirking.

He laughed. "I wanted you and Dawson to be alone."

"Thanks," she said. There was an awkward silence in the hall. "So . . ." she began.

He stood up and smiled at her. "Save a dance for me at the reception?"

"As many as you want," she smiled. "I'll see you at the altar."

* * * * *

Joey nervously adjusted her dress in the church foyer. She was the first bridesmaid to walk down the aisle, and she had to be with the world's shortest groomsman. She was not thrilled when the double doors opened, and every single person in the church turned to watch her when the string quartet began to play.

She stepped forward tentatively, and looked up to see Dawson's smiling face. Her eyes, though, fixed on Pacey, and if it weren't cliché, she would've sworn that she floated the rest of the way.

Pacey watched her from the corner of his eyes through the ceremony. He knew that Joey had been right the other day when she said he sounded like he was ready to settle down. He had been ready to settle down for a while now, but it wasn't until now that he had even thought he'd found the right person.

It seemed like no time had passed at all for the both of them when Dawson and Marissa were presented to the church as husband and wife. Joey needed to talk to Pacey, but between battling the crowds and posing for pictures, she really didn't have the opportunity to. She decided it would be best to wait until the reception.

* * * * *

Joey looked down at the Chicken Elizabeth on her plate, and she wasn't hungry at all. Her stomach seemed to churn and flip with every sniff of it. By the luck of the draw she had been seated next to Pacey, but he was thoroughly enjoying his dinner.

"Aren't you going to eat?" he asked, snapping her from her thoughts.

"I don't know, Pace," she said. "I'm not really hungry."

"You want to have that dance now?" he asked.

She nodded, grabbing his hand as he led her to the middle of the floor. Most people were done eating, and several were now dancing. She was happy the song was slow, because she was in no mood to even attempt to actually dance in the dress she was wearing.

He was holding her close, and she had to admit it was making her nervous. Suddenly she forgot what she had to say.

"Nice wedding, huh?" he asked.

"Yeah," she sighed. "Everything was really beautiful."

The corner of his mouth twisted into a smile. "So I'm assuming I've been successful in making you believe in romance."

"You've been successful in making me believe weddings can be romantic."

"And explain the difference."

"Romance is less strict and socially controlled. It's spontaneous, and it takes place between two people in the simplest of situations," she said.

"So this big wedding isn't romance? What is?" he asked.

She shrugged. "I don't know. A kiss in the rain. A carriage ride through the park. Anything that can make your heart skip a beat, and no matter how crazy you may feel, there's nowhere else you'd rather be."

"You've thought about this."

"I guess I have."

"So is there anything I could do romantic that would surprise you and still suit your standards?" he asked.

She felt her heart skip a beat at the very question. "There are lots of things you could do. I'm not hard to please."

"Well, maybe--" he began, only to be cut off when Mitch and Gale danced up beside them.

"Would you mind if I cut in?" Gale asked Joey. "I don't see enough of this young man."

"Sure," Joey said, looking intently in Pacey's eyes. "We'll have plenty of time to dance."

Joey tried to keep one eye on Pacey as she created small talk with Mitch. By the time the dance was through, she'd lost him.

* * * * *

Joey had looked all over the reception for Pacey, but was unable to find him. Finally, she headed outside, and began to walk one of the garden paths at the country club.

She pulled her heels off and held them in her right hand by their straps. She walked slowly, looking at the flowers the best she could in the dark.

"Hey beautiful."

She turned around, and saw Pacey leaned over the railing of a small gazebo. "Hey," she smiled. "I was looking for you."

"And you found me," he said. He walked down the stairs to stand beside her. "I believe we have a dance to finish."

She smiled as he pulled her close, and they began to dance to the faint music coming from inside. She rested her head on his chest before speaking. "You know, Pacey, I have a confession to make."

"What's that?" he asked.

"I didn't hear anything at the wedding. Once I began walking down the aisle, I started thinking about what my own wedding might be like. And while I've done it a thousand times over, this time it was different." She stopped, not sure if she should've gone this far.

"Tell me how it was different."

"This time I saw the groom," she said, looking up at him. "It was you."

He didn't respond to that. "I'm not saying I want to marry you," she continued. "I just . . . I want a chance to know . . . if the flip flops I'm feeling in my stomach right now are because I could be falling in love."

"I want that too," he said. "I've been wanting to kiss you since that night in the salsa club."

"You have?" she asked. "Why didn't you?"

"I wasn't sure how you'd feel about it . . . about me," he whispered. "And I've really, really wanted to create that romantic moment for you."

"It's just the two of us," she whispered. "We're alone, dancing to soft music in a beautiful rose garden under the stars. It's the perfect romantic moment."

"But now that we've talked about it, it's not spontaneous," he smiled.

"But now I'm anticipating it so much that doesn't matter."

"But what if I can't live up to everything you've been anticipating?"

"Pacey, I will kill you if you don't kiss me," she said.

He bent his head, and placed a gentle hand on her cheek.

"Joey! Pacey! I've been looking all over for you two!" screamed Dawson as he darted down the path.

"Damn," Pacey said under his breath. "We'll have to find another romantic moment."

"Guess so," she whispered.

"What's up, D?" Pacey asked, pulling away from Joey.

"Well, we're getting ready to do the cake thing," Dawson said. "And after that things will go pretty fast, and I wanted to give you guys your gift."

"Dawson you didn't have to do that," Joey said.

"Yes, I did," he answered. "You two are my oldest and best friends, and I wanted to give you something special." He smiled sincerely at the both of them. "The one thing I know you both need is a vacation, so Marissa and I wanted to thank you for being in our wedding party with one. You leave tomorrow for Catalina. Her parents have a huge vacation house there and you can stay for the week."

"Dawson, that's so wonderful," Joey said, throwing her arms around him.

"D, that's pretty extravagant," Pacey said.

"No problem. My wife's loaded," Dawson said, as he winked.

Pacey laughed. "We both know this is a set-up, Dawson."

"Would I set you up?" he asked, feigning innocence. Joey and Pacey smiled, as he led them back inside.

* * * * *

After Marissa smeared Dawson's face with wedding cake, Pacey and Joey had another dance--one long dance lasting over several songs. They said little to each other, as if it would disturb the magic.

As it came time for the toast, Pacey stood proudly and smiled at the crowd. "I have been very lucky to have Dawson Leery as a friend for most of my life. Dawson was always the imaginative, optimistic beacon in everything I've done throughout my childhood and adulthood. Without him, I wouldn't know how to hope, or wish, or see the beauty in the simplest things. And just when I thought he couldn't get anymore . . . inspiring, he fell in love. And just when I thought I couldn't get anymore pessimistic, he and Marissa made me believe in love and romance. I don't think I could've witnessed anything more beautiful, and I am thankful that I was there to see it all."

Pacey paused, and smiled as he lifted his glass toward Dawson and Marissa. "I wish you both the best of luck in what I know will be a wonderful marriage. I know that the love and the happiness will flow out into everything you do."

Joey blinked back tears as the room toasted Dawson and Marissa. She realized that Pacey probably didn't even understand how beautiful his words had been, and would've just classified it as speaking from the heart. But things like those were the reason that she was feeling whatever it was she was feeling for Pacey.

"What?" he asked, catching her intent stare.

"It was beautiful," she said softly, as not to interrupt the matron of honor's toast. He smiled softly at Joey, before turning his attention back to Dawson and Marissa.

* * * * *

The drive back to Joey's hotel was quiet. They had bid Dawson and Marissa farewell, and left the reception together, only to decide to bring Joey back.

Pacey mindlessly banged his fists together as they stood outside the room door.

"I had a good time today, Pacey," she said, breaking the silence. "There's nowhere else I would have rather been."

"Me either," he said. He braced himself against the wall with his hand, leaning toward her. "I have one regret, though."

"What's that?" she asked, desperately trying to ignore the quickening pace of her heart.

"We never had our kiss."

"That was problematic," she grinned, her voice lowering with every word. "What are you going to do about it?"

He smiled. "It means that I'm going to wait for fate to give us the right time for it."

"What if now's the right time?" she asked hopefully.

"We've got a whole week ahead of us," he said, running a finger along her jawline. "I don't want to rush it."

"I guess I have to accept it, then," she whispered. "Just don't forget about it, Pacey."

"I won't," he said softly. "I'll pick you up bright and early in the morning." He laid a gentle kiss on her cheek, smiled, and walked away.

* * * * *