Login     Help

Living out loud by Kilby

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Absence extinguishes small passions and increases great ones, as the wind blows out a candle, and blows in a fire."
--Duc de La Rochefoucauld

Pacey groaned when his telephone rang. He felt along the bedside, looking for the phone. "Hello," he snapped, still not willing to open his eyes to let the sun in.

"Pacey?"

"What Dawson?" he growled.

"Not very chipper this morning, are we?" Dawson laughed.

Pacey sighed and decided to open his eyes. He knew that Dawson would be determined to get him out of bed now. "After I got home last night, I got called out to a crack house," Pacey said. "I didn't get home and in bed until after seven."

"I'm sorry," Dawson apologized.

"Well, you did wake me up," Pacey said, sitting on the edge of the bed. "The least you can do is tell me what you want."

"Are you sure you're up to it?" Dawson asked.

"Tell me what it is first," he said.

"You haven't been fitted for your tux yet, right?"

"Nah," Pacey said. "I was going to go soon."

"Well, Joey needs to go get fitted for her dress too," Dawson said. "I thought maybe you could both go together this afternoon."

"Sure, Dawson," Pacey mumbled. "Tell her that I'll pick her up at eleven."

* * * * *

Pacey knocked on Joey's door. "Police, open up."

"Sorry, officer, I need identification before I can let you in," she said, cracking the door open. "Do you have a warrant?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, pushing his way through the door. "From Mr. Dawson Leery, requesting that I accompany you to try on a very frilly dress that you will never wear again after Saturday night."

She laughed. "He probably sent you because he thought I'd have a convenient memory and forget to go."

"Me too," Pacey admitted. "I'm going to feel like I'm on show."

"Since when does that bother you?" she teased.

"Since one of the most beautiful photographers in the world will be just a few feet away," he said.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you were complimenting me," she said, picking up some jewelry from the dresser.

"Maybe I am," he said. "We'd better get going."

She nodded, and followed him out the door. "So we're not taking a cop car?" she asked. "I thought you might steal one for old times sake."

"People really do change a lot, don't they?" he laughed.

"I'm not taking you away from work am I?" she asked.

"No," he said. "I was up until late this morning at a crime scene anyway." He glanced at her a smiled. "But parking at the mall is a bitch. We could've done better with a marked car."

"Maybe things don't change as much as I originally thought," she said, smiling.

* * * * *

Joey carefully stepped out of the fitting room, making sure that no one would see her. She looked at herself in the triple mirror and groaned. She was definitely not feeling this dress. It was a pale shade of purple, long, and mostly plain.

"Pacey," she whined. "Come tell me that I look ridiculous in this dress, so I can drop out of being in this wedding."

Pacey stepped out of his fitting room and looked at Joey. He was holding the tuxedo jacket in his hand. "You look nice," he said. "No way you're getting out of this one."

"Nice?" she asked. "In this horrible shade of purple? I look like a Muppet!"

"Yes, nice," he said, standing next to her. "I can see you with your hair up and matching heels. Completely upstaging Marissa."

Joey rolled her eyes. "You are full of it."

"You look beautiful," he said sincerely. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Thanks," she said.

He pulled the jacket on and looked in the mirror as he remained next to Joey. "Now you tell me," he said. "Does this make me look fat?"

Joey playfully jabbed him in the side before they were interrupted by the woman who had been helping them. "Everything fit okay?" she asked.

"Yeah," Pacey said.

"You two make a very handsome couple," she said.

Joey looked at herself and Pacey in the mirror. "Thanks," she mumbled, not moving.

"If you need anything else, just let me know," the woman said, walking away.

"We do," Joey said.

He looked back at her confused. "We do what?"

"We make a cute couple," she said. "I look like the terribly sensible, nagging girlfriend. You look like the boyfriend who is too laid back for his own good."

Pacey laughed. "Don't put so much thought into this, Joey."

"I'm getting back into human clothes," she said, walking back into the fitting room.

Pacey admired himself in the mirror once more before retreating to his own room. He thought seriously about her words, as he put his clothes back on. He wasn't sure what to think about it, but he had to admit she was right.

"Let's go get some lunch, Miss Potter," Pacey said, meeting her as she opened the door.

"Good idea," she said, following behind him.

* * * * *

Joey picked at the French Fries on her tray as she waited for Pacey to sit back down. He was getting pizza, while she had a chicken sandwich.

Things were starting to cause her to see Pacey in a whole new light. He was attractive, witty, and what she had been looking for all over Paris. It was just awkward after they had been estranged for so long.

"That line," Pacey mumbled as he sat across from Joey. "Bread lines in Russia are shorter."

"Still impatient as ever, I see," Joey said.

He smiled as he took a sip of his soda. "So, what are you doing tonight?"

Joey opened her mouth to speak, but shut it immediately. She wasn't sure if he was asking her out or not, and that had a huge impact on how she answered. At least, she thought it did. "Dawson and I were going to the movies," she finally said. "You know, old times."

Pacey smiled. "You'll have fun, I'm sure."

"You should come," Joey said.

"I'm working tonight," he said. "Staking out a crack house. Fun, fun, fun."

"You really stake places out?" she asked.

"Yes," he said. "And it's not nearly as exciting as it looks in the movies."

"You'll be careful, right?"

"Sure," he said. "There's nothing to worry about. I was promoted to detective a few months ago, and it's not nearly as dangerous."

"Detective?" she asked. "That's pretty impressive."

"Thanks," he said. "It may sound strange, but I'm good at my job."

"It doesn't sound strange," she said. "In fact, I've always known that you'd be great at anything you put your heart into."

"You never told me that," he said.

"You had a big enough ego, and didn't need me stroking it," she said.

He took another bite from his slice of pizza. "So, we've got big fun at the rehearsal dinner tomorrow night," he said.

"Loads of fun, I'm sure." she dryly. "I am sort of excited to see Mr. and Mrs. Leery again."

Pacey nodded. "They'll be happy to see you too," he said. "They're both very proud of you. Just say that they don't see you enough."

She laughed. "Everyone says that. Things were just . . . I don't know. Paris felt good. It felt right."

"It's hard to find a place to belong," he said.

"Yeah," she responded. "It's been good to me."

"Don't you miss home, though?" he asked.

"Yeah," Joey said. "I missed stuff with Alex, and I missed Bessie. Dawson and I sent e-mail everyday, but that wasn't the same. And you . . . you acted like you never wanted to speak to me again. I don't know, I just sort of always thought that I'd hurt your feelings by going to Paris."

"You didn't do that. It just shocked me a little, I think. You were very insecure when we were younger, I just couldn't see you going to live in a foreign country. But you surprised me--especially when you never came back."

"I made my own little world in Paris," she said. "I got so comfortable I didn't want to leave it. Sort of a safe-haven."

"That makes sense," Pacey said. "I'm glad you came back for a little while, though."

"Me too," Joey said. "I can't believe all the little things I miss that I'd completely forgotten about."

"It's sort of weird," Pacey said. "You know, Dawson getting married and all."

"It is," Joey said. "We should've known, though. After all, he is the romantic."

"Yeah," Pacey said. "He was really real about it, though. He and Marissa were together a long time. He made sure that this marriage would last."

Joey nodded. "Good, because the last thing we need is adding Dawson to the jaded, bitter, cynical part of the world."

"Are you and I jaded, bitter, and cynical?" he asked.

"Maybe just a little," she said. "The world would be rather boring if it were filled with romanticizing optimists like Dawson."

"So you don't find this whole wedding thing romantic?" he asked.

"Frilly dresses, expensive food, bad music. It's not romantic, it just costs a lot."

"What about a man and a woman standing up and shouting how much they love each other to the world?" he asked. "Eating your first meal together as husband and wife. Dancing your first dance together."

"I think that Dawson's romanticism has rubbed off on you," Joey said. "But you could be right this time."

He smiled at her. "There are things I could be that are a lot worse."

"You might have to take me under your wing at the wedding--you know, rid me of my negative thoughts," she said.

"You think I can do that?" he asked.

"Who better to teach me about romance than a romantic?"

* * * * *

Dawson examined Joey as they stood in line at the movie theater. "So, how much did you hate the dress?" he asked.

"I hated it at first," Joey said. "But it's starting to grow on me a little."

"The day was a success?" Dawson asked.

"Yeah, I had a great time with Pacey," she said.

"What did you guys do?" he asked.

"We went to try on the clothes, and we went for lunch. We had a great talk," she said. "He's lots of fun to be around."

"That's good," Dawson smiled.

"Yeah, it's a good thing you can bully him into entertaining me while you run around doing this wedding stuff," Joey said sarcastically. "Just think, forty-eight hours from now, you're going to be a married man." Joey saw Dawson's face pale, and her look grew serious. "What?" she asked.

"I'm just . . . a little, teeny tiny bit . . . scared," Dawson reluctantly admitted.

"I thought you loved her?" Joey asked.

"I do," Dawson said. "But marriage--for me, it's permanent."

"Has she ever given you the notion that it's not going to last?" she asked.

"No," he said. "I just . . . things were weird this morning when we were signing the pre-nuptial agreement."

"You signed a pre-nup?" Joey asked.

He nodded. "Marissa's folks are loaded," he explained before returning to his previous statement. "I just sort of thought that signing it just may have set us up to fail."

"I don't believe that, Dawson," she said. "I mean, you signing it shows how much you love each other. And if there was no trust, I don't think she could've even asked you to sign it." She smiled at Dawson genuinely. "Besides, as soon as those Hollywood hot shots give you a chance, you're going to be directing real money makers."

Dawson smiled. "You know, I've really missed you talking me down in person."

"I'm really happy to be here, Dawson," Joey said simply, as she followed him inside the theater.

* * * * *

Joey examined herself carefully in the mirror. She'd gone for simple after seeing the dress she'd have to wear in the wedding tomorrow. Her hair was in a elegant French roll, and she wore a long black dress.

Most of all, she dreaded going to this dinner and this rehearsal. Right now she was just not in the mood to be around lots of people, especially people she didn't know.

There was a knock on her door and she answered it. She did her best to whistle, but it just was not working. Pacey strode into the room, doing a model-like spin. He was decked out in a grey three-piece suit and looked gorgeous. "You look great," she settled on.

"And you do as well, my dear," he said.

"So, were you just in the neighborhood?" she asked, raising her eyebrow.

"I came to escort you to the rehearsal," he said. "Because I'll bet anything before I got here you were thinking of backing out."

"No," she lied. "I was just planning on being fashionably late."

He grinned. "What do you say? Can I gracefully enhance my image by walking into that church with a beautiful woman on my arm?"

"I'd be delighted," she smiled.

* * * * *

Joey stopped outside the church, majorly intimidated by its size. "How many people are going to be at this wedding?" she asked.

"A few hundred," Pacey said. "It's going to be huge."

"Just what I needed," Joey groaned.

"Come on, princess," he said. "Let's go."

Joey took a deep breath and linked her arm in Pacey's.

Inside, everything was very chaotic. There were people running in every direction, lots of chatter, and just general craziness.

Dawson's eyes fell on Joey and Pacey when they entered, and he grew rather proud of himself. He was hoping that they would come together, but he didn't want to push the envelope. Marissa was arguing with one of her sisters when he jabbed her in the side with his elbow.

"What?" she asked, turning to Dawson. He pointed at Joey and Pacey, as a wide grin took over his face. Marissa smiled too. "Your plan must be working."

He laughed. "I'm not sure that I've had that much to do with it."

"They look cute together," Marissa said, pausing only momentarily before turning her attention back to her sister.

After waiving briefly at Dawson, Pacey and Joey headed toward Mitch and Gale. Pacey stood by Joey quietly as she was forced to recount most of her adult life, and he loved every minute of it.

The rehearsal, though, seemed to go on forever. Pacey never had a high opinion of organization and order. He had been up all night, spent all day on paperwork, and had only had a bag of Fun'yuns to eat all day. His stomach was growling, and he was sure the priest would hear in the next moment of quiet if they didn't get out of there soon.

Finally, after running the wedding through seven times, they all headed to the restaurant.

Pacey and Joey sat together at a small table. For a rehearsal dinner, this struck Joey as rather extravagant. They had rented the banquet room at a rather upscale restaurant, and there was a string quartet in the corner. "So, I take it tradition is out the window, and Mr. and Mrs. Leery didn't pay for this," she said.

Pacey laughed. "I think they're paying part of it. You know how it is when your son's marrying money."

"I thought that rehearsal would never be over," Joey said.

"Me too," Pacey said. "I'm starving."

"I thought I heard your stomach growl!" Joey giggled.

Pacey shook his head reluctantly. "Been a long day."

"So, your stakeout must've been pretty tough," she said. "I was half expecting you to be shot or something and not make it here."

He looked back at her seriously. "Does my job scare you that much?"

"It doesn't scare me, Pacey," she said. "I don't know. I was just thinking aloud."

"I know it seems like a high-risk occupation," he began, "but I'm never afraid."

"You never have been afraid of much," she said.

Pacey barely waited for the server to put his plate down when he began to eat. Joey laughed at him for a bit before starting at her own meal.

He sat observing the room for a while as Joey finished eating. He smiled at Dawson and Marissa who, despite the chaos, had found a few moments together, as they ate at a small table. "What?" Joey said, looking up.

"It's just sweet," Pacey said, pointing to them.

"You're jealous, aren't you?" Joey asked.

"Of Dawson?" he said. "No. I'm happy for him."

"Yeah, but I see some sort of sparkle in your eyes when you see them. It wouldn't surprise me if you weren't ready to jump the broom yourself," she speculated.

"No," he said. "Dawson is just lucky enough to have already found the right person."

"You haven't found the right person?" she asked.

"No," he said, furrowing his brow. "Have you?"

"Not even close," she sighed. "I don't think I'm as ready to settle down as you are."

He nodded. "Being ready and actually doing it are very different. I am like Dawson in that when I do it, it's going to be forever."

"Why haven't you found someone?" she asked, knowing she was probably plunging deeper into his psyche than he would want her to.

"I'm not sure," he said. "I think my standards are high."

"So high you'll never find anyone?"

"I didn't really understand what I wanted in a relationship until Andie broke up with me senior year in high school, and I was sort of wounded after that experience. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I was miserable. It just made me take a step back and really think about love and what it should be."

"And what did you decide?" she asked.

"I decided that I didn't want a person who thought I had the potential to be perfect. I want a person who loves me because they already think I am perfect," he said.

The corner of Joey's mouth curled into a small smile. "That was beautiful," she said. "And I don't think you should settle for anything less."

"Miss Potter, if I didn't know better, I'd say that was a compliment," he joked.

"Maybe it was," she threw back. She watched him as he played with a dinner roll. There was sort of an odd silence between the two of them, which made Joey more attentive of the chatter and the movement around the room.

"You know, we could try that dancing thing again. You were pretty good at it the other night," he offered.

"What about you, Pace? Can you hold your own when you're not salsa dancing?" she joked.

"We'll have to see," he said, standing and extending his hand to her.

She followed him to the middle of the room where there were only two other couples dancing; Dawson's parents, and one of Marissa's sisters and her husband.

There was something about Pacey that she found inherently sexy; the swagger he had when he walked, the way he said her name, the way he'd moved their intertwined hands to rest on his chest near his heart as they began to dance. She especially loved the way his eyes would sparkle when he talked about love.

Deep down, she wanted her eyes to sparkle like that when he talked about her. It was a foreign feeling, but a compelling one. After all the time searching, she thought that she had finally found herself falling in love.

"I guess you're still not feeling this wedding thing," he said softly.

She looked up at him and smiled. "Actually, I think I am. I really like seeing things through your eyes." She settled her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes, not wanting to leave.

* * * * *

"Thanks for walking me back," Joey said, as they stood outside the hotel room.

"You're welcome," he smiled. "You made tonight much more bearable."

"You too," she said. "I guess you're going to be rather busy tomorrow."

"Yeah," he said. "I'm sure that Dawson will be a mess tomorrow. He might need tranquilizers."

Joey laughed. "I'd be worried if he weren't just a little bit scared."

Pacey nodded, staring back at Joey for a moment. He gently brushed some hair from her face. "I've really had a good time with you the past few days."

"Me too," she said. "You're making me believe again."

"Believe in what?"

"Believe in love. You may have began to turn this jaded, bitter, cynical woman into someone who wants to believe in romance."

He smiled. "I assume that means I've got more work at the wedding tomorrow?"

"Yes," she said. "Look for me at the reception. We're going to dance again."

"I thought you hated dancing."

"Not when I dance with you," she said.

"That may be the best compliment that I've ever gotten," he said, smiling warmly. "I'd better get going."

"Yeah," she said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, Jo," he said, slowly stepping backward before heading to the stairs.

* * * * *