Never Been Better by Aimee
Summary: While Joey and Pacey spend a weekend together Matt Caufield is planning his revenge. Takes place after Crime And Punishment.
Categories: Romance > Joey/Pacey Characters: Joey Potter, Matt Caufield, Pacey Witter
Language: English
Tags: Angst, Friends to Lovers, Friendship, Hurt/Comfort, post-Episode, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 11446 Read: 75424 Published: 20-05-16 Updated: 20-05-16

1. Chapter 1 by Aimee

2. Chapter 2 by Aimee

3. Chapter 3 by Aimee

4. Chapter 4 by Aimee

5. Chapter 5 by Aimee

6. Chapter 6 by Aimee

Chapter 1 by Aimee
Matthew Caufield slammed the door of his father’s fourteenth story penthouse, his home for this weekend, cursing Capeside High and all who suffered under it’s constricting rules. He threw his school bag, which would no longer be of any use to him, onto the floor and walked straight into the kitchen. Opening the refrigerator door, he pulled out a bottle of Budweiser, twisted the cap off, and allowed the smooth flavor of alcohol to seep down his throat. He set the bottle onto the glass table, which according to his father was only for show, and let a trembling hand rake through his dark brown hair. His expulsion from Capeside High was less than twenty-four hours old, infact it’d been within the hour, which might have been the reason he was still so shook up. He slid down the wall, and crouched on the ceramic floor, holding his legs close to his chest. It felt wrong for a man of his age to want to be comforted, want to be held...but he did. He wanted to hear that everything was going to be alright, and that his father wasn’t going to beat the shit out of him when he came home from another hard day at the office. To avoid that, he just wouldn’t be home when his father was. Which was normal, his father would just assume that he hadn’t come for a visit this weekend, and considering how the marriage between him and Matt’s mother had ended..he wouldn’t call her. That still didn’t sooth the need to be comforted. No one, however, would do that for a lowlife creep such as himself....that much he knew for a fact. If he had just left the mural alone, maybe everything would have been alright. Sure, there would have been more fights, more drugs, more trouble...but nothing else would have caused his expelling.

Which was why, Josephine Potter and her boy-toy Pacey Witter were going to pay. With their reputations, morals, and anything else Matt could think of. He smirked and began planning his evil scheme.

~*~

"Personally, I like...um...believe...that Matt Caufield, ya know?.. He like, shouldn’t have been expelled. I mean how immature to expel, like the hottest guy in the entire school just because he..um...he painted over some stupid scribbles, ya know? And...uh...He...should...um...Come back...Capeside High needs him! So...yeah...um..Go-o-o Minutemen!!" Dalsie Peterson chomped on her gum a few times before blowing a kiss to the standing ovation that somehow arose from the auditorium. She ran off to a group of other cheerleaders on the stage, giggling, and continued a previous conversation-most likely about their current boyfriends or some new type of make-up one of them had stumbled across.

Pacey Witter stood alone in the back of the room, watching the madness in disgust. He turned and began to walk out only to run straight into Joey.

"Ow.. I mean hi. I was just coming to get you, what’s going on.." She lifted her head, trying to peer over his shoulder at the noise coming from the room a few steps away. Her faded overalls were spotted in paint, from the mural the two had spent the afternoon and early evening recovering.

"Oh, that?" He played dumb. "It’s some kind of...pep rally. Yeah. Let’s go back, I wanna finish up and get out of here before they all do so we don’t hit any traffic."

She gave a small huff, and unsuccessfully tried to walk past him. "Pep rally? At eight o’clock at night? Oh, and traffic in Capeside huh? C’mon Pacey, what’s the real reason you aren’t letting me see what’s going on in there..."

"Joey, just don’t okay--"

"--Alright, everyone settle down..we have a special speaker present here tonight.." Pacey turned around, surprised at the interruption. As he did, Joey slipped into the room, and stood beside him. Knowing there wasn’t anyway to convince her she didn’t want to be here, he reached down and held her hand. "You’re going to hit me later for letting you stay..." He whispered, just before the speaker began again.

"..Ladies and Gentleman... Matt Caufield!"

The audience, consisting of mostly jocks, cheerleaders, and rich buddies of Matt himself; cheered. Clapping their hands together for so long that Joey hoped they’d all have a callous or two the next day. Then the man himself stepped up to the microphone, making her stomach drop. The man who ruined what had kept her going for the past month, now stood before her and for once Josephine Potter was utterly helpless. She knew there was nothing to be afraid of. After all, he was only human. She clenched Pacey’s hand tighter than she meant to, and searched for the words that would take it all away. He squeezed back. She watched as he kept his gaze staring straight ahead, as if he was afraid to see the hurt in her eyes. The hurt from watching all her peers cheering for the man who had destroyed her self-esteem, and caused her to be forever scarred with the memory of that day. First the heartbreaking scene of revealing a ruined masterpiece, then this. A rally held behind the faculty’s back in order to plot against the expelling of someone who deserved it. Then he spoke, making everything even worse.

"Hey, big crowd we got tonight. How’s everybody doing?"

They cheered again, ignorant robots that they were.

"This should be good..." Pacey whispered sarcastically to her, trying to bring humor to the situation. "Don’t worry Potter, this man’s a fool with words." She smiled slightly, and nodded.

"So, I guess you’ve all heard about what happened because of Witter playing snitch, huh?"

Silence. Matt smiled, and tilted his head to the side like an innocent puppy dog.

"What? You mean to tell me none of you knew? Yes.. it’s true. Capeside’s own future gas-n-go pumper turned me in." A small boo rose from the seats infront of where the ridiculed stood. All of which, had seen him come in. Pacey stood stiff, now understanding how Joey felt more than ever. People who he didn’t even know, somehow knew him and though they didn’t know the story were casting blame and evil glares in his direction. Eventually, Matt found what they were booing at and brought it to everyone's attention.

"Ah. Things have just gotten better, my friends. The man of the hour has graced us with his presence! Welcome Mr. Witter, we’re so ...glad you could make it...oh and look! He bought--I mean brought--his own date.. who might this be you ask? None other than Joey Potter, who might I add, was also part of my expelling. You see ladies and gentlemen..."

He took a breath, and looked Joey as well in the eye as he could. "...what Joey painted offended me dearly...and yet I’m the one who received punishment."

His smile was what bugged her, the flakiness behind it, the lies and blame it held. The more he blabbed on, the more worked up he got. Soon, his words were fast, blending together, and blaring throughout the room for everyone to hear. "If any of you had seen it before I destroyed it, you would agree. I saved your hearts from the hurt you would have experienced, had the mural not been mutilated. Understand Capeside High, that I risked my enrollment for all of you! And yet, these two traitors are still here! I say, you do something about it."

The crowd, more worked up now than ever before, roared in agreement and chanted phrases the two were glad they didn’t understand.

Joey and Pacey, hands still clenched, stood in shock. People they didn’t even know, suddenly now were their worst enemies.

"It’s all a bad dream, it’s not real...it’s a dream." She whispered, mainly to herself, but Pacey heard her and he knew holding her hand even tighter wasn’t going to help. "God, wake me up. Please.." She trembled, holding back tears to avoid even more embarrassment. She wanted to run. Run out of the auditorium, run out of the school....hell run out of Capeside. The crowd seemed to get even louder, if that was possible. They were all turned, sending daggers through their eyes. Then it hit her, the whole school was against them. She saw people she’d known since kindergarten and at one time had been friends with. People she’d tutored in Math and History. People she’d served dinner to at the Icehouse. People...who were now telling her she wasn’t welcome anymore. This...was true rejection, something Joey had always felt, but never believed was totally true. Not sure of how much more she could take, she let go of Pacey’s hand and sprinted out of the room. Pacey took one last look at the hundreds of people chanting and staring, he wanted to attack all of them, beat them to the ground like he did to the one who’d started it all. He wanted to scream at them, make them try to realize that what they were doing proved that all they were... were followers. Instead, he chose to run after the only one who still cared about him, the one true person he could always count on. As he ran through the double doors after her.

"That’s right...run you cowards. Just remember, revenge is sweet."

~*~

The overcast night sky set the mood of depression fairly well, or so Pacey thought. Joey’s voice emerged from it as he approached her.

"Liar. That wasn’t a pep rally." He found her sitting on a bench, just a few feet outside of the school. "And if it was, I don’t want to go to another one." As he got closer, he saw her eyes were damp from tears, yet her voice didn’t shake. He wished he could have half the control she did.

"I-I know..." He stuttered.

"Then why would you say it was?" He tried to remember that she wasn’t mad at him. Now wasn’t the time for a sarcastic comeback. For once he’d have to be serious, one wrongly said word could alter the outcome of the situation...which most likely wouldn’t be good anyway.

"Jo, I’m sorry... I didn’t want you to get hurt."

"They hate me Pacey...they hate us. We didn’t do anything, and they all hate us! Believe me, I’m hurt." Her hands held the back of her neck, allowing her wrists to rest on her shoulders. He sat down beside her, and wrapped her in his arms, surprised when she didn’t resist to them. "All I’ve ever done to those people was try. I tried to be who they wanted me to be. I wanted to hide them from who I really was, the real Joey Potter...daughter of Capeside’s only convict, and the only kid here with no one to turn to on Mother’s Day and say ‘I love you’. I’m so different, Pacey...I hate me too."

It was like a slap in the face, only it hurt much more. He lifted her head from his shoulder, moving a strand of loose hair behind her ear, and gazed into her teared-over eyes. He felt his own eyes start to water, and his stomach begin to tighten. How could she degrade herself on their account? She couldn’t possibly ever know how important it was to him, that she knew what they said wasn’t true.

"Josephine Potter, don’t ever say that. You are so special, more than everyone in there put together." He felt like a kid again, with all the shaking his voice was doing. Her face scrunched up as she tried to hold tears back for what seemed like at least the twentieth time. However, try as she did, she ended up surrendering to them. She sobbed in his arms, and he held her against him once more. The moment felt perfect, if you ignored the situation that had caused it.

"You and your mushy talk. Stop it, you’re making me cry." She muttered.

"Okay." He whispered, even though he knew she was kidding. He stroked her hair, which calmed her down a bit.

"I’m sorry..." Her voice cracked.

"Shh...You don’t have anything to be apologizing for." She moved her cheek to his shoulder after nodding, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Yeah I do...I have plenty. I’m sorry for everything. I’m sorry for painting the mural, I’m sorry for not sticking up for myself, I’m sorry you had to hear everything said tonight..." She didn’t finish. Her emotions wouldn’t let her, and she ended up breaking down. He let himself melt into her shoulder, enclosing her body as close to his as possible. A small gasp she made for air, let him know his grasp was too tight, and he relaxed a bit. His love for her was so strong that no matter what hurt he was going through, he would hide it to make hers disappear. Holding her and listening were all he knew to do for her now. It was if they shared the same soul. If he had the choice, they would. No one but her could ever know the pain both of them had, caused from Matt’s lies and accusations. He knew this wasn’t something either of them would forget by tomorrow. However, it was something that was going to make their friendship even stronger, and if that was the only good that came from it...so be it.

"You know my first thought after what happened tonight was suicide."

"Joey, please..."

"No, it’s true. I know it’s stupid, but I thought it would be the only way out. I came out here expecting to be cold and alone. Truthfully Pacey, I wasn’t sure you’d stay tonight."

"What..?" He was more shocked than anything.

"I know, another stupid part on me...I’m sorry. It’s just, I figured you wouldn’t want anything to do with me, because this whole thing was my fault and I pulled you into it. Don’t say it wasn’t, I know it was and so do you." He gave her a quick reassuring squeeze and said it anyway.

"Joey, if I lost you...I don’t think I’d be able to continue living this hell we call existence. Get it through your head, this was not your fault. If anyone is to blame it’s me...for starting the fight with Matt." Joey let the words sink in for a moment, then nodded.

"I don’t know what I’d do without you either. I’m not going to play ‘Whose fault is it anyways?’ though...I just want you to know that I appreciate you being here tonight."

He smiled. "Thanks. I liked having you here too."

They sat in each others' arms for what seemed like hours, before tears were consumed by rage. She broke from his grasp and stood up, throwing her hands in the air.

"Why?" She shouted as loud as she could. "Why is nothing I do good enough for anyone?! Why do I even try...No matter what I do, I’m thrown to the ground. Isn’t there anybody out there who cares?!" Then she felt his hand on her shoulder, and she knew...there was.

"I’m so scared, Pacey. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know how to stop him...I’m so lost."

"I know, Jo. I know."
Chapter 2 by Aimee
~*~

"What if we’d never heard it?" Even though they hadn’t talked about it for hours, he knew exactly what she meant.

"Well, then it’d be a lot easier to go to school on Monday wouldn’t it?" It was almost midnight, four hours after they’d made their exit from the so-called ‘pep rally’. The crowd had left almost right after they did. None had noticed the two figures curled up on the bench less than seventy feet away from them. Now, they’d advanced to the grass. Pacey laying on his back with Joey resting her head on his chest, her thin frame huddled close to his larger one. Her arm draped across his stomach, holding them in a position both felt comfortable in. The sky had cleared and the couple had been pointing out certain constellations for the past hour at least, making up names for them by what they looked like or who they reminded them of.

"Seriously Pacey. What if we hadn’t stayed to finish the background on the mural? What if we’d gone home, like I wanted to? Do you think anything would be different?"

If the sky hadn’t been so bright and she couldn’t see him, he would have smiled. It was like Joey to wonder about what could have happened, if this or that had happened. There wasn’t an easy way to tell her...that he was sort of glad it did. He wasn’t as hurt as she was, he’d heard it all before. From his father, Doug, hell even Dawson...but Jo, she wouldn’t understand where he was coming from. He was glad it had happened because of what it did for their friendship. There was nothing he would change or give up for the small advances their friendship had made this one night. God, he wanted to tell it everything he felt at this moment. How happy he was to have her in his arms, friend or lover...it didn’t matter. Right now all that mattered was that he had her. She fully trusted him with her emotions and heart tonight, something she used to only share with Dawson.

He pulled her closer to him, which she seemed to allow. Suddenly something inside clicked. Now was the time to tell her. Now was perfect...at least he hoped.

"Honestly, Potter...I don’t know. We would have found out either way."

Silence. His heart nagged him to let her know. She’s shared her feelings the entire night, now it’s time for yours. But was it? Was he really ready to tell her he loved her? No, but he never would be.

"Jo, there’s something I need to tell you."

"I know.." She whispered.

He lifted his head, to get a better look at her face. "You do?"

"Yeah, I’ve known for awhile."

"Really...How come you never said anything?"

"I didn’t want it to end. This night’s been so perfect, well the last three hours anyway, and I know we have to go home or Bessie will have my head...just ten more minutes, okay Pace?"

He let a small sigh of relief slip, and shook his head. "Yeah, sure."

"Your dad won’t mind will he? Oh Pacey, I didn’t even think about it!" She immediately rolled over and jumped to her feet. He stayed put, assuming she remembered his past with his father and had begun to worry. He patted the ground next to him, longing for her warmth next to him once more.

"Don’t worry, Jo. I’m a big boy. Besides, everyone’s visiting one of my uncles that I never knew about in Chicago. C’mon, lay back down."

She shivered for some reason. Maybe watching him from where she was caused some kind of reaction...or it was just the wind. He looked so relaxed. His legs, one kicked over the other, looking so carefree. She wanted more than anything to cuddle up next to him again, which was what bugged her. This was Pacey Witter. The same arrogant flirt she’d grown up with from age five. She wasn’t supposed to want to be in his arms. She surrendered to the little voice that told her to crawl into them anyway. As she felt his arm wrap around her, she realized how glad she was that she’d listened to her conscience. He sighed into her brown hair, taking in the smell of her.

"Joey..."

She swallowed hard. Whispering a simple "What?"

"Look at me.." She did. His lip trembled, and his breathing grew more intense. Suddenly, she knew what he was about to do.

"Pacey..." She said in almost a whimper. "Please don’t, not now..."

"Joey, I’m in love you."

"You're just caught up in the moment. It's been a long day, Pacey. Let's just go, ok? Please." She started to get up, only to be pulled back down. He sat up on his knees, making her face him.

"Let go." She tried jerking away, only to have him hold tighter. She wanted to believe him. God, she wanted him to love her. She just wasn’t ready for another guy, she had realized that after A.J.. Oh how she wished she could just fall back into his arms, and say she loved him too. Which, of course, she didn’t. She couldn’t. You don’t just fall in love with someone over one event that happened over the course of one day. Falling in love with someone, and loving someone were two completely different things. You loved your sister, mother, brother, friend...you’re in love with your soulmate. It was insane, impractical, and basically just plain wrong. Pacey Witter was not her soulmate.

When she’d told Dawson she loved him, it’d been a growing love. It hadn’t just sprouted up overnight like Pacey’s imaginary ‘love’ seemed to. She could blame it on whatever she wanted, but deep down Joey knew he was telling the truth.

"Joey, I’ve never been this serious before in my life. I’ve been in love with you since the first day of junior high. Did you know that?"

She shook her head, tears were once again starting to well up in her eyes. If he didn’t feel obligated to look her in the eyes while telling her this, he wouldn’t of. "Well it’s true. And I know, that now was not the best time to tell you. I’m sorry for that."

He paused, taking a moment to think over what he wanted to say. He loosened his grip on her, knowing she would stay. "Joey, I felt so close to you tonight. You told me everything you felt, so openly. That I wanted you to know everything I was thinking too. I felt like I could hide no secrets from you.....Remember when we were looking at the stars awhile ago...course you do...well you remember that one we said looked like a couple holding hands? I wished that someday we could be like those stars. I know it sounds corny Jo, and I admit it was. But Joey every time I see something--something perfect in any way, shape, or form--I think of you." He stopped again, feeling a stream of mixed emotions starting to overcome him.

Joey’s eyes were closed, and had been since he started talking about the stars. It was as if she was taking it all in, memorizing his every word. Actually what she was probably doing, was trying to ignore him. But one could dream. He leaned over and kissed her gently on the forehead, then stood up.

"You don’t have to believe me. But, I do love you, Potter. Just remember, that I’ve never lied to you before, and I’m not about to start now." He turned around, and started to walk away. He half expected her to stop him. Say his name, run up to him and pull him into a deep and passionate kiss...something...anything. But was disappointed when she did nothing but pull her knees to her chest and cry silently. It was the hardest thing he’d ever done, to walk away and leave her like that. He knew she needed time to think however, and if he wanted her opinion on the situation...he’d have to give her time to find one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was two a.m., probably later. She didn’t care. Bessie could worry as much as she wanted. Actually Bessie had probably fallen asleep waiting for her, or figured she was at Dawson’s. If there were any questions, Dawson would stick up for her. She hoped

She’d walked all over town, thinking about everything that had happened in just this one day. More than what had happened in the last month all put together. Of course that was how Capeside went. Spontaneous, and even more so when you didn’t want it to be. She looked at herself in the reflection of a downtown store window. Still in her paint covered overalls, hair crimpy from being in braids most of the day. Mascara ran in small lines down part of her face. Joey couldn’t remember the last time she’d cried so much. She didn’t want to remember. It was the day her mother had died. A day she would erase in her memory, had she ever the chance. The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to smash in the store window and slit her wrists with a piece of broken glass. Suddenly, she remembered Pacey’s words.

Joey, if I lost you...I don’t think I’d be able to continue living this hell we call existence...

His voice echoed in her head over again. She closed her eyes, remembering simple words, phrases, or movements he’d made. He caused her body to tremble, and long for his touch again. Slowly, she moved her hand up her thigh where his hands had once been. She felt pathetic, but it only made her want him more. Something she’d never felt with Dawson. A ragged sigh broke through her lips, and she knew what she had to do. She had to see him. He’d know how to make everything right again. Opening her eyes, she started walking towards his house only to be hit with the realization that it was two a.m., and although she didn’t care he probably did. This was a problem Joey might have to handle without her forever known sidekick...also known as Dawson Leery.

The question was, how?

She shook the thoughts away and continued walking anyway. Down the paved streets of downtown Capeside, through the winding back roads, down the creek, past her own house... eventually she found herself infront of the house belonging to the only person who she could fully rely on to be there for her no matter what. The only one who really had the answer. And that was Pacey.
Chapter 3 by Aimee
~*~

The house was dark. With a single yellow glow coming from the upper corner window. No cars in the driveway, which she took as a good sign. She remembered what he’d said about everyone being out of town, and hesitated to walk up to the door. Taking one step at a time, she eventually reached her destination. She raised her hand to knock, but froze a few inches away. Afraid to do what obviously came next, her fingers curled into a fist, as if she needed to knock out the door first. Taking a deep breath, she rapped twice on the door and waited for him to answer. The light in the upper bedroom went off. At first, causing her to wonder if he was purposely ignoring her, until she saw another light come on. Most likely a hall light. She heard the thumping as he came down stairs. There was still time to run...The door swung open, greeting her to bloodshot eyes, and a confused smile. Her heart beat faster as she watched him open the screen door and invite her in. His voice low and gruff, yet tender. God, he couldn’t possibly know how long she’d waited to hear it again. It’d only been a few hours, if that, since she last saw him. She’d missed him so much. Something was wrong with that, and she knew exactly what that something was.

She loved Pacey Witter.

"Jo...?"

She snapped from her reverie, shaking her head a little. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?" He asked, his face full of genuine concern.

Her heart fluttered. "I’m fine. Thanks." She gazed into his eyes, as if they were some mystical key to his soul and everything he was thinking.

"Do you wanna come in then?"

"Oh. Thanks." She pushed through the small space he’d provided between the outside world and the screen door, and admired the cozy house. "Geeze Pacey, I always pictured you living in a shack the way you describe this place." The blue pastel walls held family portraits of his older siblings and their parents, but none of himself. "Where are you in all those?"

He shrugged. "At school." Joey looked confused. "They’d have them taken while I was at school. Because that way.." He swallowed, and looked at a random portrait. "..that way Dad wouldn’t have to consider me as one of the family."

Joey’s jaw dropped. She couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to do that to their own child. Then hanging them in his face, as if it was some kind of reminder that he didn’t belong there. And here Joey was wanting to jump him.

His brown puppy dog eyes, sexy paint infested dockers...oh it would’ve been a sweet hell. However, She did have some restraint, and no matter how much they both would’ve enjoyed it..now was a time to be serious. He finally was opening his feelings to her, and there was no way she’d offend him by screaming ‘Take me now!’ and jumping into his arms. That would just be wrong.

"Oh my god, I’m so sorry Pacey." He shrugged it off and muttered.

"What can you do? That’s my family for you."

She walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and holding on as if he were her only chance for survival, which sometimes she felt he was. He embraced her back, breathing heavily when she pulled away.

"What brought you here anyway?" He had every right to know, but it seemed insulting. Wasn’t she welcome without having a reason? She ignored her selfish thoughts.

"Actually, I...well I have something I need to say. You have time?"

He smiled. "Always."

Damn him for being such a romantic. It was going make it even harder. Compared to him, she was terrible with words. Especially expressing her feelings about love, and all that other mush.

She took a deep breath. "Okay." Exhaled. "I think...I’m ready."

A coy grin came across his face. "Potter... You love me."

Her eyes became the size of ping pong balls. "I most certainly do not!"

"You don’t..." He faked a pout, but she saw it in his eyes. He knew.

Two could play at this game. "Nope," she crossed her arms against her chest and cocked her head to one side. "I don’t love you at all."

"Mkay. Then why are you here."

Damn. "Um, because... I needed to.. borrow sugar. Yeah."

He licked his lips, and nodded. "Sugar, huh?"

She nodded in response.

"Alright...I got sugar." Before she could protest, he grasped her by the cheeks and pulled her lips to his own. She parted hers, excepting his. He was so soft, so gentle. It made her feel like a million dollars, and when he stopped she wanted much more.

He watched her in amusement as she blinked rapidly trying to get back to reality. "I have plenty of sugar." He whispered softly into her ear. "and all you gotta do to get it is say four little words."

"I want more please?"

"Four other words."

She pulled at her bottom lip with her teeth, wishing his lips were back on hers. She knew what he meant, and she knew the words he wanted to hear were true.

"I love you Pacey Witter. I truly do. You’re the only person in my entire life that’s ever showed me the amount of trust, care, and respect that I feel I need. You’re always there when I need a shoulder, and especially today...I can’t even begin to describe how important you being there for me was today. Holding my hand, crying with me, keeping me sane...I owe you my life for everything you’ve done, Witter. Right now, I’m hoping my love will be enough. "

His eyes lit up, and for a moment he sat staring like a little boy who got everything he wanted for Christmas. After a few moments, he cleared his throat and tugged at the collar of his shirt. "Well, that’s like forty more words than I expected...so I dunno, Potter..."

She reached up and pulled him into a deepening kiss. As he started taking control, she let herself sag against him. Raking her hands through his hair...wanting him even closer. She moaned, finding his tongue suddenly slip into the warmth of her mouth. He rubbed it against hers, giving her an even more sensational feeling. Obviously, that wasn’t all he wanted to do, because Pacey didn’t plan on stopping. He lifted her up, hinting that he wanted her legs around his waist, which she quickly obeyed.

Without any notice, Pacey pulled away. Leaving Joey wanting more, with swollen lips which she licked quickly. He advanced down her neck, gently nudging her head to one side so he could get better access at the space between her neck and shoulder. She gasped slightly as he started sucking on her freezing skin. His hands were magic as well, which somehow without her noticing, had slipped through the sides of her overalls and under her shirt. He rubbed her back, occasionally pulling her bra a bit...which she thought might be an attempt to get it undone.

"God, Joey, I’ve wanted this for so long..."

She closed her eyes, taking in as much as she could. "Pacey...I don’t know--"

Small moan. "--how far I..."

Gasp. "...I want to go..."

He slipped one strap of her overalls to the side, along with a strap from the tank top she had beneath it.

"Just tell me when.." He mumbled between kisses. Slowly he ran his tongue along the crease between her neck and shoulder, ending up on the other side. He sucked softly at first, then harder. Wanting to take as much time to take as much of her body as he could at once, without taking her too far. She whimpered silently, which gave Pacey a turn on of his own.

Realizing she could move her hands too, she reached over his shoulders and pulled at his shirt until she had the majority of it in her hands. Slowly, making sure not to distract his tender kisses...she pulled it over his head, and threw it carelessly to the floor. Meanwhile, he’d done the same to her other overall and tank top straps. Her overalls fell to her side, pulling the tank top with them. He cupped her breasts in his hands, and kissed them gently through the fabric of her bra.

"Joey ... Do you want to st--"

"No." She managed to mumble, releasing her legs from his waist. She placed her hands on his chest, wrapping what chest hair he had between her fingers. She moved her hands up and down his chest, studying it as she went. She wanted to remember everything.

He grabbed her hands, and laid down on the couch, pulling her on top of him. Her skin against his, making her only more aroused than before. He cupped her hands then kissed them, as if blessing her to do what was her will, and let go. She smiled, taking his back in hers. She sat on top of him on the non-spacious couch, moving his hands behind her back, meaning to have him unclasp her bra. He gave her a questioning look, figuring that was farther than she wanted to go.

"Are you sure?"

"No, do it anyway."

He let go, and moved his hands to her face. "Not until you’re ready." Her heart didn’t argue, although her hormones were sure getting a word or two in. He kissed her. A short and sweet kiss, and nodded her down by him. She laid against his chest, like earlier, snuggling into the smell that she would know now as him. He kissed the top of her head, and held her. In all this perfection, he sensed something wrong.

"Are you okay?"

"You’re disappointed with me aren’t you." Her voice trembled, as if she was trying to keep from crying.

Disappointed? God, he was no where near it. "Hell no. Joey, I love you. I can wait as long as you want. Okay?" She nodded. "Besides, I didn’t expect you to go all the way through with it tonight."

"What’s that supposed to mean?" She muttered exhaustingly. He could help but chuckle.

"It means ... that I didn’t expect you to sleep with me on our first date. If you call this a date."

"I don’t. What if I had ... slept with ... you?" There she went again. With the defensive come backs, and what if this or that’s. If he didn’t love her so much, she’d drive him crazy.

"Well then I’d love you anyway, Jo. You know that." She nodded, took a deep breath and yawned.

"I love you too." She whispered.

"You okay now?"

He was so sweet, his pure concern over the littlest things. "Yeah, Never been better." He smiled, which must have meant it was the answer he was hoping for.

"You can’t possibly know how fucking tired I am." She mumbled, cuddling into his arms.

"I heard I have that effect." She didn’t respond, because Josephine Potter had fallen asleep in his arms. Pacey smirked, and kissed her once last time before closing his own eyes and falling asleep.

Cowboy take me away
Fly this girl as high
as you can into the wild blue
set me free I pray
closer to heaven above
and closer to you
closer to you.
Chapter 4 by Aimee
~*~

Saturday morning, Joey awoke to the eldest Witter sister, screaming at her youngest brother for ‘being so stupid’. She let her eyes flutter open slowly, only to see Pacey jump out from under her, grab his shirt off the floor and run after his sister hollering back. She sighed, and rubbed her temples. Looking at the sunlight that cracked it’s way through the living room blinds, she guessed it to be about noon, and the first of many Witter family members just arrived at home sweet home. Carrie . Only to be met by her youngest brother in what looked like a very provocative situation with this girl she vaguely remembered classifying as a homely child many years ago. Joey pulled her tank top back on, same with her overalls, then padded into the next room where the argument was coming from, she knew she probably shouldn’t. She felt like a momma bear, protecting her cub. Pacey was her man now, and no one in this family was going to treat him like shit anymore if she could help it.

"Carrie, you can’t do this to me! Dad would flip if he found out anything about last night. It’s none of his business. Besides, we didn’t do anything and I’ve covered your ass so many times..."

Carrie gave Pacey a blank stare, then turned her eyes to Joey. "So, what’d he pay ya?"

Joey’s eyebrows narrowed, and as she was about to give this witch a piece of her mind ... Pacey did it for her.

"Have some respect Carrie. You’re twenty-three years old and you have two kids. How much did they pay you? Did you charge extra for hauling weight around for nine months, which by the way I see you haven’t lost yet, or are you pregnant again?" The look on his sisters face, proved that to be true.

"Great ... that’s real priceless, Car. Your third kid and you’re not even in your thirty’s. Get birth control why don’t you?.. Joey, let’s go." He threw his wrinkled shirt from the night before on, and took her hand, leading her out of the madhouse he was supposed to consider home.

~*~

The walk to Joey’s house was silent. Except for the light tapping of their feet hitting the pavement and the occasional clearing of the throat. Joey was annoyed. It wasn’t because of the walk, which was less than a mile...but because of the lack of conversation. They had plenty to talk about, concerning everything from eight o’clock last night, until what had just happened this morning.

"So, are you purposely ignoring me." She questioned. He kicked a rock into the street and shook his head.

"Just thinking."

"Oh," She bobbed her head, pretending she was okay with that answer. "Well, could you think later? We need to talk. A lot. Starting with this morning."

"Could we..not?"

Joey gave him an irritated look, and shrugged. "Sure, whatever."

Quiet again. For once in her life, Joey couldn’t wait to get home. She saw her house in the near distance and whispered a silent prayer of thanks. He gave her a bewildered look.

"You want to talk so bad that you began a conversation with yourself? Joey...hunny has it really come down to that?" She thwacked his arm, causing a short spur of giggles to erupt between the two, which quickly was brought down to silence. She swore it was a curse of some sort.

"Last night, did you think I’d show up?" He thought she was joking at first, but turned to be met by a serious expression pasted on her face. He sighed.

"Truthfully, I didn’t. I figured maybe the next day, or a phone call. Oh but Jo when I heard the knock I knew it was you. I had this gut instinct that this was it, this was when Josephine Potter was going to say she loved me too...of course after that I dreamed we had hot animal sex for hours..."

She hit him again. "Stop kidding, I’m serious. I thought you understood."

She stormed ahead of him, half expecting him to start yelling. She knew her actions were getting out of control this morning, but what did he expect? His sister mysteriously appears and starts bitching her head off, ruining how Joey had imagined the morning to be. She’d wanted it to be full of romantic kisses, cuddling, maybe watching a movie or going for a walk down by the Ruins.

He didn’t have anything to explain, but it seemed like he was hiding something. Something about what happened this morning...and what bugged her the most, was that he was hiding it from her. He wouldn’t have hidden it from Joey Potter the friend. Joey Potter the friend knew everything, however she had a feeling Joey Potter the girlfriend was going to be a completely different story.

Her thoughts were interrupted by his arm curling around her waist. She wanted to push him away, but it felt so right. He gave her those damned puppy dog eyes again, which she knew she was always going to fall for. She wrapped her arm around his waist also, and rested her head on his shoulder as they walked.

"You know I can’t stay mad at you, don’t you." He grinned.

"You can’t." She smiled back.

"One of these times Witter, you’re going to have to bring me daffodil’s and a box of Jelly Belly’s ... you know that right?"

"Daffodil’s and Jelly Belly’s ... got it." He winked, and pointed to the Potter Bed and Breakfast they were about to pass. "Hey, that’s your place ain’t it?"

Joey sighed, "Yeah. Do I have to go?" She lifted her head from his shoulder as he turned to face her. He pulled at her overall straps, straightening them on her shoulders.

"Yes, you have to. Bessie’s probably in there beating Bodie up for ...well she’ll somehow blame him for your disappearance." She gave a small pout and reached up for a kiss. He leaned down to meet her, only this kiss was different than any she’d had from him. It was hard, demanding, full of lust....

She liked it...a lot.

"Oh ew, tell me I did not just see that." A familiar blonde popped up from what seemed like nowhere, hands at her hips. She pretended to look disgusted, however was obviously intrigued. "Joey and Pacey... kissing. I used to be able to say that I’d bet my life it would never happen, sadly if I actually had said that...I wouldn’t be here, would I?"

Joey and Pacey pulled apart and watched with a smirk on their faces as Jen continued to ramble on about the couple’s new found passion for each other. Whenever one of them would try to get a word in, Jen would continue blabbing. Until finally she realized she was late for a date with Henry and rushed off, wishing good luck to them behind her back. After she was gone, Joey rolled her eyes and pointed to Pacey. "That’s another thing we need to talk about."

"Um..what?"

"Who are we going to tell?...Besides Jen."

Pacey raised his eyebrows. "I have a feeling Jen will do the telling for us."
Chapter 5 by Aimee
~*~

Saturday passed quicker than she wanted it to. After Pacey had walked her home, she’d received the ‘where the hell were you’ speech from Bessie, only to hear it again only minutes later over the phone from Dawson who of course had covered for her, saying she’d fallen asleep at his place. She had to tell him she’d explain later, and abrupt hung up feeling bad about it afterwards. Then finally she’d been able to jump into the shower, and clean up. By then it was four o’clock and plenty of time to do something with Pacey. Only to have the disappointment of being grounded to her room until Monday for being inconsiderate.

"Inconsiderate my ass, since when does she care where I am?" She mumbled into the phone, while painting her nails. It was amazing the things you would do after being crammed into a room barely big enough for your furniture. It was now Sunday afternoon, and after having spent the majority of this day on the phone, Joey was pretty bored.

"Jo, Hun...I get it. Hell people next door get it you’ve said that so many times. Let it go."

"Pacey you don’t understand..."

"I understand perfectly. Now what are you wearing?"

She almost dropped the nail brush. The phone cradled between her shoulder and ear had just asked her what she was wearing. Well, the person on the phone. Who just happened to be her best friend, not to mention boyfriend. Was he kidding? God, how did Andie handle him?

"Pacey! I can’t believe you." She mumbled, twisting the cap back on the nail polish before it spilled all over.

"Believe it baby. Is there anyone there?"

Joey laughed, "If there wasn’t do you think I’d be here?"

"True," he mumbled. "Seriously Potter ... whatch you got on? Anything kinky?"

"I should hang up on you, right now ..."

"Oh c’mon..."

She looked at her flannel pants and GAP sweatshirt.. "No. Now shut up." His sexy laugh, echoed in the receiver, bringing a smile to her face.

"Okay, fine. It’s your loss you know." She snorted.

"Yeah Yeah, and someday when I’m an old decrepit I’ll regret not fucking you over the phone."

"Hey, don’t say I didn’t warn you."

"Alright, I won’t. What are you doing?"

"Thinking of you."

"Aw, I love you." It came out of nowhere, and she wasn’t really sure why. She had the need to let him know that he was loved more than she did with Dawson, or Jack. Especially considering how much he talked about her. "You know that right?"

"Yeah, I know, babe." Her heart skipped a beat. He had all these mushy pet names for her already. Baby, Hun, Sweetheart ... if she wasn’t head over heels in love with him she’d slap some sense back into the melon he called a head.

"Well..." she waited. "Say it back, you pig!"

"Hmm..how about this. Joey I love you. I’m craving you. The taste of your skin, the way you feel against me, your touch, your moan...oh god, I need you so bad. I miss you already, and yes...I’m in love with you. What’s the difference you say? You can only be in love with one person."

If he told her to go jump off a bridge after saying that, she would of. However Joey would jump off a bridge before admitting that she was beginning to enjoy the sweet comments Pacey made towards her.

"Getting a little mushy on me are we Witter?"

He just couldn’t win. "Sorry, I miss you. I’m making puppy dog eyes..."

"Reason?"

"Cause you’re not here."

"Suck up"

"Sucking up ... mmm now that’s something I’d like to try."

She rolled her eyes, "You do know how pathetic you are, don’t you?"

"Ah, but being my girlfriend you have to put up with that."

"Not necessarily."

"Ugh...hell ya necessarily."

She laughed, wishing her grounding was over so she could sneak out and meet him somewhere. "Can you do something tomorrow...?"

"I can do something every day."

"Just making sure ... What time are you leaving for school?"

"I’m not."

Joey wasn’t sure what to say. He wouldn’t leave her in a school completely full of people who believed she had no right to be a Capeside High, hardly even a right to breathe their air. She raked a hand through her hair. "Oh yes you are."

"Neither are you."

She could feel her hand begin to tremble. "Why?"

"Because the minute we walk in, we’ll be killed. Can you imagine the rumors that have had time to start since Friday?"

"Pacey..." She tried reasoning with him. "I can’t just not go to school. I mean you remember last time we tried doing that? Maybe your parents won’t find out...or don’t care... but Pacey can you imagine what Bessie would do if she found ou--"

"You need to live life Joey. You only get one."

She growled under her breath, "Fine. But if I can’t ever see you again Witter ... it’s not my fault." She remembered the two of them trying to hitch hike, only to be picked up by Principal Green himself. It was funny now, but then...she was never planning on forgiving him.

"Don’t worry Potter, I love ya...and ain’t gonna let anything keep us apar--Oh shit."

Joey snapped out of her reverie, "Pacey?" She heard a door slam in the background, followed by loud shouts, both male voices...one being Pacey’s. Something about getting Matt Caufield expelled, sleeping with a hooker, and now talking sweet with a Potter. She by now had assumed the voice shouting all of the bullshit was none other than Capeside’s Chief of Police, Mr. Witter. She heard the phone hit what she guessed was the floor with a thud; and Pacey holler for her to hang up. Too shocked to reply in that manner, she refused and sat listening to the horror going on somewhere that she couldn’t go and try to protect him. The only thing she could think to do was keep talking to him, and hope they’d stop.

"Pacey? Pacey! Please ... Please come back. Be okay, please. Oh god don’t let anything happen to him." By now she was crying worse than the night before, and she cried even more after Mr. Witter picked up the phone, told her not to charge the bill to this house, and hung up.

There was nothing she could do. The police station wouldn’t listen to a Potter if their life depended on it, plus anything that the Chief of Police did in Capeside he got away with. Even if it was beating his child. All she could do was sit and hold onto the receiver, praying for some type of miracle.
Chapter 6 by Aimee
~*~

Joey had tried calling him five times Sunday evening. Finally it’d gotten to the point where she’d just given up. Everytime she’d try to get through, she’d get a busy signal or Carrie. She preferred the busy signal, it irritated her less. She’d never been as worried about someone as she had been worried about Pacey today. She’d even called Andie for help, asking her if he’d ever seemed distant after talking with his father...or if he’d ever told her to hang up. She said no, and asked what made her think of those questions. Joey debated on telling her everything, but held back and blamed it on pms.

Her best plan now, was to stop by the house on her way to school...considering they’d never picked a place to meet if they were going to ditch. She slung her backpack over her shoulder, told Bessie not to expect her any earlier than five, and left an hour early for school with no suspicion from anyone except Alex, who probably didn’t know what he was doing anyway.

She took the same route she’d taken with Pacey only a few days before. Wishing he was there with her, to tell everything’s going to be okay. She wasn’t even guaranteed that anymore. The step she’d taken when she told Pacey Witter that she loved him had more than likely been a mistake. She wouldn’t take it back for the world now...but if she had a second chance....

She shook the thoughts away from her head. She loved Pacey. She was in love with Pacey. But the fact that every morning she’d have to worry about his safety bothered her. Another thing that bothered her was how he’d kept his father’s abusiveness a secret for so long. Even after they’d become best friends, he hadn’t told her. It made her mad.

She looked up the road, seeing the Witter house only a few residences down. Her heart flip flopped when she saw no cars in the driveway. Was he by himself, or had they taken him somewhere? Maybe he stole the truck...the answers lay only a hundred or so steps infront of her. She began running. For no reason at all, just to get to him faster, to find out what the hell happened.

She walked up to the door and ran her palm across it. The same door she’d been so afraid to approach two nights ago, made her feel no different today. She had no tears left to cry, which made everything easier. She was afraid of what she might find if she did get in...the stuff people would find in horror movies. God, no...She started pounding on the door, shouting his name, begging him to open the door. She twisted, shook, kicked the knob and when no one came, she collapsed against the door and faced the street. Her plan was to wait until one of them came home and told her where she was. She was sick of this bullshit.

The inside door creaked open, and a muffled voice whispered her name. She didn’t have to turn around, she knew it was him.

"P-Pacey, what’s going on.."

She heard him sigh, and open up the screen door. He walked out and sat down on the porch next to her. Something was wrong, she had no tears. Her expression was cold and she stared only straight ahead, purposely ignoring the purple bruise he had in the middle of his left cheek. He wanted to put his arm around her, pretend like he didn’t know what she was talking about...he wanted to pretend there was nothing to talk about.

He’d been so careless that day, he hadn’t noticed the door was creaked open. His voice could easily be heard just by walking by. He knew better than to say the name Potter around his father...hell he knew better to say anything around his father.

"It was my fault. I wasn’t thinking..."

"You shouldn’t have to worry about your father beating the fuck out of you, Pacey."

"I know, Jo." And he did know, but what was there he could do to stop him?

"Maybe you don’t know, Pace." She paused, taking a deep breath. Times like this she wished she had a cigarette and she didn’t even smoke. Irritated, she thought of what she wanted to say. "You could have told me about this, You could of trusted me Pacey. God, all you had to do was say something and I would have done whatever I could..."

"You know Joey, for once...this isn’t about you. This is about me. These are my family problems. My actions are what I’m responsible for. Not you."

He began to stand up, only to have her pull at his pant leg. "Please..we have more to talk about."

He sat back down, worried to death about losing her over all of this. He swallowed hard and cursed his father for being such an ass. "I’m sorry...I--"

She held up her hand, stopping him in mid-sentence. "Look. I know we’ve both been under enormous amounts of stress lately, and maybe...just maybe... our relationship was caused by that stress."

No...she was wrong.

"Maybe, we were just looking for a way out of all the problems we already had. We figured that if we had each other to rely on...then it’d be easier. Only it began making things worse."

He shook his head, "You’re wrong."

Her eyes widened. "Am I?"

"I was in love with you before all this. You were the one who sudden stumbled across your love for me. Joey I need to know..." His once energetic eyes were now turned to storms of brown. She was actually afraid of them, but after reminding herself of the gentle way he kissed, the tender touches...she knew he wouldn’t hurt her on purpose.

"So..I need to know, Joey Potter..did you love me before? Or was this just a way out?"

She stared at her hand for at least ten minutes before even thinking about the question. Did Josephine Potter truly love Pacey Witter. It was a question she asked herself a lot lately. She took one last look at him, remembering how he was before she said what she was about to say. His innocent dimples, that appeared sometimes even when he wasn’t smiling, his mouth...so perfect in many ways, his sense of humor..it was what she’d miss most.

"Pacey, I loved you before...as a friend. And I admit, when I first came into the relationship I was looking for help. But that wasn’t all. Friday night I did a lot of thinking, I thought about you mostly, and how happy you make the people around you. I wished I could be one of those people. Not realizing I already was. Then I analyzed your relationship with Andie, and how close the two of you seemed to be. I wanted a relationship like that. I wanted a guy like you Pacey, but then I realized that I also wanted your friendship. I couldn’t have both, it had to be either one way or the other. Right now I’m not sure which one I want more..."

He’d expected as much. You give your heart to someone, and they stick their heels right through it. All he could do was nod. Any other comments would have caused him to go all out. Something he really didn’t want her to see. Pent up anger that he had towards his father for causing the events of yesterday, anger he had towards Carrie for telling his father he’d hired a hooker, mad at Joey for pretending to love him. Truth be told, Pacey Witter now had nothing to live for. He rose from his spot on the porch, and pushed in the screen door, stepping through. She sat there, knowing it was all over.

"Bye Jo." He whispered. "I’ll always love you, but I won’t wait forever."

Before she could reply, he shut the door. And Joey Potter was shut out of Pacey Witter’s life.... for now.

This whole damn world could fall apart,
It’ll be okay follow your heart,
You’re in harms way, I’m right behind
Now say you’re mine


~*~

He felt terrible the minute he shut the door on her, but it was an action he couldn’t take back now. She needed to figure out what she wanted, and whether he would be a part of it. How he hoped he’d be a part of it. He wasn’t sure what had happened over the weekend, to change him into a completely different person. His sarcasm had dropped a severe amount, and his usual care-free attitude was restricted to a care-about-her. Joey was his entire life, and he should have left things well enough alone. Maybe if he hadn’t brought it up, the whole issue of love... it fucked things up. A person could stand before you and confess their never-ending love one day, and the next consider you the lowest scum of the earth. If this was how all relationships would end, he wasn’t sure he ever wanted one again. Joey had made him feel special when she told him she loved him. The way she said how important he was, and how he was always there for her. Pacey wondered why that changed so much over the extent of two days. Was it because he wouldn’t tell her about his family problems? Was she really so oblivious to not see that he’d been hurting for a long time, or was she just too afraid to mention it? He’d never know, because if he did eventually hook back up with her, he wouldn’t risk it to ask. If he could get her back, the Joey he had in the beginning...that first night when everything was perfect. Of course this was Pacey Witter they were talking about here, black sheep of his family, forever known to be ...as Matt so kindly put it.. Capeside’s own future gas-n-go pumper. Nothing would ever be perfect. The one shot he had, he blew. The sad part, was he wasn’t sure exactly how did it. He walked up the stairs, and turned left at the top...ended up like always in his bedroom. If one walked straight across from the door leading into his bedroom, you’d reach the bathroom, which was his destination.

He wasn’t sure what had overcome him, to make him even think about doing something he’d told Joey never to consider. It wasn’t something you could undo with the snap of your fingers. It was however, something you could do with the snap of a wrist.

Cutting. It was something Pacey used to do all the time. Stopping the blood only when he felt no more pain. This time, he doubted he’d stop it. He thought of all the possible ways to go; cutting, overdose, stab wound, gun shot...somehow it seemed heartbreak would work just as well. He debated on leaving a note for the family. Maybe a small deposit to hire cleaning guys to clean up the mess he’d make. Did cleaning crews clean up blood anymore? If so, did it cost extra? He thought maybe that whole JonBenet Ramsey case might have made a law against it. He wasn’t sure.

He pulled open a squeaky drawer, which hid inside of it his supplies. Ace Bandages to stop the bleeding...he wouldn’t need those today. Also, hidden under a pile of used and well aged bandages was his masterpiece. A swiss army knife, equipped with a four inch steak knife that was encrusted in blood from past battles he’d had with death and reality.

He grabbed it out from it’s cage, and held it examining it in his hands.

"There’s nothing left to live for, remember Witter? Joey’s gone, she ain’t coming back. So get your sorry ass over it, or cut."

He looked in the mirror. In the upper right hand corner was a school picture of her. Smiling her coy smile, the magic hiding behind her eyes. He sighed, and held the knife to his wrist. With one flick of the wrist it could all be over. It’d be so easy to just end it all, the real challenge would be trying to live through it. But Pacey was never one to try and conquer challenges.

He thought he heard a faint knocking at the downstairs door, but he didn’t care. The only person who came here was the mail man, and he only knocked when he was trying to drop off a package for anyone but him. Pacey never got packages.

No more distractions, this was it. He held the knife up to his wrist and pressed it against his skin. He could feel it penetrate through each layer, until it finally reached bone, which was his destination.

The phone rang. Pacey snapped out of his reverie, and looked at his wrist, no cuts yet. He must of been imagining.

"It felt so real," He mumbled. Heading into his room to answer the phone. The phone could be someone in the family. It’d be ultimately ironic to talk to them only a few seconds after killing himself. He picked up the receiver, and mumbled "What?"

"Pacey Witter...do you realize what you’ve done to me?"

He sighed. "I don’t have time for this, I hate shit to do."

"Hear me out. Do you know what you’ve done to me? Yes or no?"

He shook his head and mumbled, "No."

"You’ve made me fall madly in love with you. In love Pacey. God, I realized it when I was sitting outside after you’d gone in and I tried to get you back out but you must not of heard me knocking. So I ran home, and called you. I’m telling you the truth. I’ve never lied to you either Pacey, so trust me on this."

He dropped the knife onto the bed stand where the phone laid. The silence on his side of the line, made her continue.

"I really want to give our relationship another try. I know we’re more than just people who are they to pull each other out of sticky situations. There’s more to both of us than that. Pacey you’re my best friend, and no matter what happens you always will be. But I truly believe there is something more between us, and if you’re still willing...I’d like to explore it."

He smiled, and waited to see if she’d say more.

"Pacey, are you there?"

"Yeah."

"Did...I call at a bad time?"

He smirked, "Joey, your timing’s never been better."

She laughed, "I’m coming over okay? We’ll ditch together like planned. Then we’ll worry about tomorrow...tomorrow."

"Alright, and Hey...Joey?"

"Yeah?"

"Remember how you wanted to know what was wrong with you, that made everyone else at the thing Friday so jealous?"

"Mm-hmm."

"I know what it is..."

She paused hesitatedly before asking what it was.

"You’re in love."


~ fin
This story archived at http://capeside.fanfix.de/viewstory.php?sid=19