Butterflies by Adrienne
Summary: The gang does some volunteer work.
Categories: Romance > Joey/Pacey Characters: Clique, Dawson Leery, Joey Potter, Pacey Witter
Language: English
Tags: Friendship, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 14286 Read: 225485 Published: 03-06-16 Updated: 03-06-16
Story Notes:
Comments are very welcome. This is my first fanfic ever so be nice and help me out! A special thanks to Evie and everyone else who beta read for me!

1. Chapter 1 by Adrienne

2. Chapter 2 by Adrienne

3. Chapter 3 by Adrienne

4. Chapter 4 by Adrienne

5. Chapter 5 by Adrienne

6. Chapter 6 by Adrienne

7. Chapter 7 by Adrienne

8. Chapter 8 by Adrienne

9. Chapter 9 by Adrienne

10. Chapter 10 by Adrienne

11. Chapter 11 by Adrienne

12. Chapter 12 by Adrienne

Chapter 1 by Adrienne
Joey Potter sleepily sunk back in her chair. It was an early Monday morning and her English teacher's lecture over grammar rules she learned in sixth grade wasn't helping. "Josephine? Josephine Potter?" The teacher called to her. "Josephine!" she said a bit more harshly.

"W...What?" she said, sitting up quickly.

"Josephine," the teacher sighed, "you are wanted in the library. Take your books with you." She extended a pink slip toward Joey. Joey hurriedly grabbed her books and walked up to the front of the room to get the note. 'Anything to get out of here,' she thought while smiling at the teacher and taking the slip.

After making her exit, Joey glanced down at the note. Sure enough it instructed her to go to the library, but strangely it was signed by Principal Green.

Joey began running through reasons in her head why Principal Green would want to talk to her until her thoughts were broken by a loud and slightly obnoxious voice. "Joey! Skipping class again? I'm going to have to get our boy Dawson here to keep a tighter leash on you."

"Bite me Pacey." Joey retorted before even turning around. She slowed her pace and turned smiling at Dawson. "Hi," she said.

"Hey Jo," Dawson replied.

Before she could argue some more with Pacey he began to talk. "So Jo, what are you really doing out here?"

"Heading to the library." She said holding up her pink slip. Dawson and Pacey smiled holding theirs up for her to see. "You too?" she asked wrinkling her nose. "So any idea why we're being summoned?"

"Not a clue," Dawson said.

"I..." Pacey started but was interrupted by an annoyingly over perky voice.

"Hey wait up!" The trio stopped to see Andie McPhee running down an adjacent hallway toward them. "So where are you guys going?" Andie smiled hopefully at Pacey as she caught up.

"To the library," Joey quickly answered.

"Oh, me too. And Jack and Jen, but they left class before me so they're already in the library." Andie said.

"Principal Green is sure calling a lot of students out of class." Dawson said, pointing toward the library door where a few more students were entering.

"Out fate awaits us," Pacey said dramatically as he opened the door. "Ladies first," he smiled at Joey who gave him a "you're an idiot Pacey" look in return.

They entered and looked around. About 20 or so other students had congregated at the tables. "Hey Dawson, Joey." Jen called, "Over here guys."

They turned to see Jack and Jen at an empty table. As they sat down, Principal Green entered with an armload of papers. "Well, I'm glad to see that everyone made it," he said effectively quieting down the students. "First let me thank you all for showing up," he said getting a few smiles out of the crowd. "I called you all here because I need some volunteers."

"Yea," Pacey mumbled feigning excitement.

"Capeside Middle School is taking their sixth grade class on a special extended field trip. They are calling it outdoor education. A three day trip to nearby Fort Campbell in two weeks. The students stay in barracks and get a chance to experience some new activities. To do this though, they need high school volunteers to be counselors for groups of 6-9 campers. Now, I picked you because I know some of you would like this opportunity for scholarship notebook," he said looking at Joey and Andie. "Others might like to use this opportunity to get on my good side," he said pointedly, looking at Pacey.

"If you are not interested, you may go back to class and I will call backups I already have lined up. For those of you who are interested, please stay and come up front to review an information packet. I'll give you about five minutes to decide. Then for the rest of you we will continue."

"Wow, that sound like a great experience!" Andie said rushing up to get a packet.

"You know, I think I'm in too." Dawson said getting up.

"Me too," Jen smiled following him.

"And me," Jack said following Jen.

"I'm outta here," Joey said as she started to sit up.

"Hold it there Potter." Pacey said putting a hand on her arm to stop her. "You can't make all of us do this without you."

"Why should I Pacey?" she said pointedly.

"Come on Jo. Everyone is doing it!" he said smiling.

"So if everyone was.."

"Come on Jo," he said forcefully cutting her off and dragging her to the front of the room complaining the whole way.

"But Pacey I..."

"Ms. Potter I am so happy you decided to help out."

"You know me Principal Green, always the first to jump in and lend a hand," she said plastering a fake smile while viscously elbowing Pacey.

"And Pacey Witter. Glad to see also took up my proposal."

"I'm right there with Joey. Capeside spirit all the way," he smiled grabbing a packet. They left and walked back toward their table.

"The way I see it Jo," he said slinging an arm around her shoulder, "we get to spend some quality time together."

"Lucky me," she said shrugging his arm off and sitting back down.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Andie said enthusiastically.

"I can't wait." Joey replied dryly.

"Well, I'm glad all of you decided to stay." Principal Green said looking around and noticing that nobody had opted to leave. "Since you all are so eager to help your community, let's get to it. I am now handing out your barrack assignments. There are two floors on each barrack. There are two girl barracks, two boy barracks, and one co-ed, girls on top, boy's on bottom." Principal Green said handing out the packets.

"There will be an accompanying sixth grade teacher staying on each floor as a resident advisor of sorts. You will report to them any problems. You are all excused from school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in two weeks. We will me at Capeside Middle School at 7am that Wednesday. Then you will be introduced to your campers. From there, we will ride by bus to the Fort. A daily schedule is included in your packets, as is a name list of your campers and a list of items you are recommended to bring. In the evenings after your campers' bedtime, you will be alleviated by the teachers for a few hours of free time which goes until no later than 1am. I also recommend that you bring a watch as it is hard to keep on schedule without one. Now, I'll give you a few minutes to look over the packets. If you have any questions please come up and ask me. If you are satisfied, you may go back to class but we will have a brief counselor training meeting here at 7pm the Tuesday before we leave." A few students immediately rose to go up to the front of the room and ask questions.

"Well, we're in for a treat." Pacey smiled as he rose. Just then the bell rang signaling the end of the school day. "Offer anyone a ride home?" Pacey said.

"Sure Pace," Joey said.

"Going once, going twice, sold to the lovely Miss Potter." Pacey said extending his arm. "Shall we?" Joey took his arm sighing as they walked off.

"Wow! I better get home and start planning activities for my group!" Andie said rising and skittering off.

"Can I drive you and Jack home?" Dawson offered.

"That would be nice Dawson," Jen said. "Jack?"

"I have some research to do in the library but I'll be home soon. You go Jen."

"Okay, bye Jack!" she said smiling, as she and Dawson left.
Chapter 2 by Adrienne
It was about 6pm the Tuesday night before camp. Joey had just finished eating dinner and was now in her room packing a duffel bag to take with her tomorrow. She had the check-list given to her by Principal Green laying out next to the open bag. 'A pair of shorts, check. A pair of jeans, check.'

She had finally gotten all of her clothes packed, plus a little extra, just in case. Currently she was debating whether or not to bring her bathing suit. After a few minutes of contemplation, she threw it into the bag and headed off toward the bathroom to gather things there. A few minutes later she emerged with an overflowing arm full of items. She quickly dropped the pile into the bag and shoved everything down so she could zip it. After completing her task, Joey lugged the heavy bag over to a corner of her room where she had already retrieved a sleeping bag and pillow.

"Joey! Pacey's here to drive you to the meeting!" Bessie called.

"I'm coming!" she yelled back as she dropped the bag on top of the pile. Grabbing a sweater off her bed, Joey turned off her bedroom light and left.

"Joey." He smiled. "You all packed yet?"

"Yep, just finished. Have you packed?" she asked as they left the Potter B&B.

"Yep," he smiled opening her door for her, then walking to the other side of the truck and getting in.

The drive to the school was quick and effortless, and shortly after they were entering the library. They noticed Jack, Jen, Andie, and Dawson and went to join them.

"Hi guys!" Andie smiled. "Jen and I were just talking about how much fun it will be that we're on the same floor!" Jen gave them a half smile as Andie talked.

"Weren't we supposed to get those last time?" Joey asked.

"Oh, yeah, but Principal Green forgot so he posted them up front but don't bother looking because I already looked for everyone." Andie said. Before anyone else could talk she started again. "Jen and I are on the top floor on the girls only barrack. Dawson is on the bottom floor of the boys only barrack. Jack is on the top floor of the boys only barrack. Pacey is on the bottom floor of the co-ed barrack. And you Joey are on the top floor of the co-ed barrack." Andie finally finished.

"Hey Potter. Maybe we can bunk together," Pacey leered. Joey started to say something but Andie interrupted.

"Oh no Pacey, it's not like that." Andie said. "Girls on top, boys on bottom. Guys aren't allowed upstairs."

"That's nice Andie." Joey said smiling sweetly at her.

"Students," boomed Principal Green's voice, "I am glad you've all made it. Basically this is just a quick session to make sure you are all prepared and to go over a few basic counselor rules. Now, before I start, are there any questions? No, good. First rule, you must be with you campers at all times except for you break in the evening. If one needs to leave for some reason, send them with a buddy. Whenever you arrive at a destination make sure to count your campers. Second, any problem you can't handle or that is too serious must be immediately brought to one of the teachers. Third, bring a watch. I can't stress this enough. You must be on always be on time. Number four, during counselor free time, the boundaries are as follows: to the South, the play field; to the East, the beach; to the North, the bunkers; and to the South, the service road. The local ranger will be patrolling the area so do stay in the boundaries. And you must be back in your barracks by 1am at the latest," he continued. " Now, most importantly, I suggest you bring a bribe with you. I know this sounds strange and unorthodox, but these are sixth graders and with a group this size not everyone is going to want to participate. I suggest bringing candy of some sort or having some special activity that your group can do during free time. Well, that about wraps it up. I expect all of you to be at Capeside Middle School by 7am tomorrow. There are room numbers of teachers you are to report to in your packets I handed out last time as well as daily schedule. I hope that you all enjoy this experience and remember, just because you are excused from school, you are not excused from homework. If you have any further questions please come up and see me, other than that, see you next Monday." With that, the students slowly started to disperse including Jack, Jen, Dawson, and Andie.

"I thought he was never going to stop talking!" Joey sighed as she sat up and stretched. Pacey smiled at Joey.

"So, you up for a trip to the store. I need to stock up on some good bribes," he said.

Joey nodded in acceptance. "I can't believe he told us to bribe them!" she said incredulously.

"It's the American way." Pacey said smiling as they left.
Chapter 3 by Adrienne
Wednesday Camp Campbell Schedule
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8:00am- load busses
8:30am- leave for CMS
10:30am- arrive at nearby Fort Watters for lunch
11:00am- Explore bunkers at Fort Watters
11:30am- Leave for Fort Campbell
12:00pm- Arrive and unpack into barracks
12:30pm- Group Time
1:00pm- Annual girls against boys capture the flag game
3:00pm- Visit to Fort Campbell bunkers
5:00pm- Free Time
6:00pm- Dinner
7:00pm- Campfire
10:00pm- Lights out for campers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6:50- Wednesday morning

Joey Potter frantically paced back and forth across her living room floor, her stuff piled tediously in the corner of the room. "Where is he?!" she said out loud in a fluster to herself. "We're supposed to be there in 10 minutes!" As if on cue a knock came from the door. "Pacey! You're late!" She said exasperatedly.

"Sorry," he gave a quick smile and went to pick up her bags. She looked at him strangely. "Well, don't just stand there Jo. We need to get a move on it!" he said wobbling out the door with an armload of her stuff. He tossed her things in the back and got into the truck which Joey had already entered and drove them to Capeside Middle School in record time. They left their bags in the truck and headed into the school with their counselor packets in hand. "So Jo, what classroom are you headed to?" Pacey inquired.

"Um...Room 6," she said after looking through her packet to find it.

"Well, well. You just can't seem to shake me Potter." Pacey smiled.

"You're just so irresistible Pacey. I don't know how you keep the ladies away," she smiled as they entered the classroom. Two other students were in opposite corners of the room talking to their groups.

"Ah. Joey Potter and Pacey Witter I presume." A thirty-something man came to shake their hands. "I'm Mr. Williams."

"Nice to meet you." Joey smiled as she shook his hand.

"Your groups are waiting for you over there," he said, pointing to the other side of the room. "We're just taking a little time to get to know each other. At about 8 I'll call your groups to pack up your things."

"Thank you Mr. Williams." Pacey smiled as they walked off to greet their groups.

"Hi." Joey said sitting down on the floor where her girls were sitting in a circle. "My name is Joey. I'm you counselor."

"Hi Joey. I'm Angela. This is Carrie, Lexi, Brook, Jen, Sarah, and Steph," she said pointing around the circle.

"Hi girls," she said waving around the circle. "So, are you guys all in the same class?"

"No," Brook answered, "but we've all been best friends since 4th grade. I'm glad you're so nice Joey. That other girl over there is really pushy," she said pointing to the other side of the room. Joey noticed Andie pinning name tags on all of her campers while they sat in a straight line.

"Who Andie? She's harmless." Joey smiled. "But I'm glad that you all like me." They all smiled in response to Joey's kindness.

Joey continued to talk and get to know her girls until Mr. Williams told them it was time to pack the busses. Joey helped her girls load their things, then they went back to the classrooms while the counselors loaded their gear into a rented U-Haul truck. When the counselors returned to the classrooms, the teachers handed out bus assignments. "Okay ladies. We are on the second bus. Grab you lunches and backpacks and we'll go." Joey told her troop. They all immediately listened having easily gained her respect.

"Jo. Hey Joey!" Pacey said jogging up to walk next to her, his boys following. "What bus are you on?" he asked.

"Number two, you?" She replied.

"Same," he smiled as his boys ran ahead to pile on the bus.

"So I'm stuck on a two-hour bus ride with you and those monsters?" She said pointing at his boys who were shoving to get on the bus.

"Hey! Boys! Don't shove!" Pacey said, giving Joey and apologetic smile as he jogged ahead to control his group. Two other groups had already gotten on the bus before hers and Pacey's so it was pretty full. Joey stood in the aisle as she directed her girls to spare seats until they were all comfortably seated, then looked around for an empty seat for herself. Her search stopped at the only empty seat which was already inhabited by Pacey who had his eyes closed and head leaning against the back of the seat. Joey smiled to herself as she went to sit down. Pacey, feeling movement next to him, opened his eyes and rolled his head to the side. "Oh hey Jo," he said smiling.

"What? No aren't dogs not allowed on the bus crack?" Joey smiled.

"Nah, it's too early in the morning for that." Pacey said yawning.

"I hear ya Pacey," she said leaning back against the seat and fluttering her eyelids. She was starting to drift of when she heard a loud rumbling and felt a jolt. The busses had started moving. "Hey Pace?" she whispered. "Pacey?" She asked again when he didn't respond. She then noticed his rhythmic breathing and realized he had fallen asleep. She too decided it was going to be a long ride and a nap sounded nice. Leaning back against the seat she drifted off.

Pacey awoke suddenly as the bus went over a large bump in the road. "Mmmm." He mumbled opening his eyes. They bus went over another large bump and he felt something hard hit him. "Ow," he said turning until he realized that mass now resting against his shoulder was Joey. He stopped talking and smiled at her sleeping peacefully. He watched her for a couple minutes until he carefully checked his watch as not to disturb Joey. ::10:00:: Pacey yawned and laid his head back against the seat. Enjoying the contact with Joey until he peacefully drifted off to sleep again.

The next time he woke up it was because Joey was next to him calling his name. "Pacey! Pacey wake up!" she said shaking him. "We're here. Wake up Pace!"

"Mmmmm...Joey?" He mumbled sitting up. "Where are we?"

"Where just parking at Fort Watters. Get up and grab you lunch. It's time to gather the troops and go eat," Joey said. Pacey grumbled and sat up.

"Everybody off the bus!" Mr. Williams called. The kids ran off the bus and to the picnic tables. Joey and Pacey had to catch up to their groups quickly. The counselors ate with their kids who quickly finished, eager to explore the bunkers. When everyone was done eating, Mr. Williams and Ms. Michaels led the brief walk to the bunkers. "Attention everyone!" Mr. Williams boomed. "In half an hour we will call you out of the bunkers. At that time counselors you are to count your campers and escort them back to the busses. Be careful in the bunkers. There is to be no running since some of the hallways are very dark including one favorite passageway for students which is pitch black for about 100 feet. If you go in that hallway, it's right through the doorway over there, and exits through that doorway over there," he explained, pointing to the bunkers. "Remember to be careful. Now go have some fun." He said, as the kids went off screaming into the bunkers, most heading to the dark tunnel.

"Joey?" Sarah asked. "Will you walk with us through the tunnel?" The other girls nodded in agreement.

"Sure." She smiled. "Stay close. I might get scared," she said, as Lexi and Carrie took her hands upon entering. Then tunnel was filled with screams and laughter. 'I hope I just don't get knocked down by some hormone driven sixth grader,' she sighed to herself. They pushed their way through the crowd at the doorway and we soon emersed in complete darkness. Since the hallway curved, no light from the other end could be seen. Just the a group of loudly yelling boys ran by screaming causing her girls to scream and go in opposite directions. Somehow in the confusion, Joey lost hold of Lexi and Carrie. "Girls?" she called suddenly quite aware she couldn't see and didn't know which direction she was facing. Uncertainly, Joey began walking forward. Screaming sixth graders bumped by her at all angles. Her breathing began to quicken and her palms began to sweat. "Girls?" she quietly called to herself. She began to walk at a quickened pace with her hands out in front hoping she wouldn't hit a wall. Suddenly, she came in contact with something tall and soft. "Umph!" she said as she hit.

"Ow," came a voice from the other side.

"Pacey?" She asked questioningly recognizing his voice.

"Joey?" he replied.

"I'm so glad it's you," she said feeling for his arm. When she found it she slid her hand down until it was resting in his. Pacey smiled as she did this and gave her hand a little squeeze. He noticed she was shaking.

"Jo, you're not afraid of the dark are you?" He teased playfully.

"No, maybe, yes, horribly Pacey. Don't go anywhere," she said. Her voice wavering as she tightened her grip on his hand.

"Come on Jo. Let's get you out of here." He smiled and he pulled her back from where he came. Joey reached across he chest to hold his upper arm with her free hand getting as close as she possibly could to ease her fear. "Look Jo," he said. "There's the light." He said, reaching across with his free hand and rubbing her hand on his arm reassuringly. Joey smiled at the contact appreciating Pacey's comfort.

"Thanks Pace," she said as they exited the hallway. "I'm glad I found you." She smiled releasing his arm, but still holding on to his hand and shaking a bit.

"So, you want to go back through Jo? It's a trip in their." Pacey smiled, enjoying the prolonged contact of her hand.

"I think I'll sit this one out," she said wrinkling her nose as she released his hand and went to sit on a nearby bench.

"Um, so you want some company?" He asked.

"Why not?" She said, shrugging her shoulders. Pacey walked over to Joey and sat down so their shoulders were lightly touching.

They sat in silence watching the kids and counselors exit and re-enter the hallway. By her count, Joey had seen Dawson go through four times with Jen in toe. She turned her attention to her girls who were exiting the hallway laughing and immediately heading back in for more. "Pacey?" She asked.

"Yeah Jo?" He said, turning to face her.

"Let's go through again." She said smiling and standing up.

"Okay." He smiled back and they walked to the entrance.

"Joey." Pacey said offering his hand.

"Thanks Pace." She smiled as she accepted it and stepped into the darkness.
Chapter 4 by Adrienne
About 15 minutes later, a shrill whistle blast signaled it was time to go back to the buses. Joey and Pacey emerged from the hallway laughing. They'd walked through a total of six times. "Thanks for going in with me Pacey," she smiled.

"You're welcome Jo. Anytime."

"I better go round up my girls. See you on the bus," she said, releasing hand (which she'd been latched onto for the last fifteen minutes), and walking off. Immediately, she noticed her hand had become cold, but before she could further analyze why she missed Pacey's touch, Carrie and Jen walked over to her. "Where are the other girls?" Joey asked.

"Umm..there's Steph and Sarah coming from over there, and um..over there is Brook, Lexi, and Angela." Carrie said, proudly having found everyone.

"Great." Joey smiled and proceeded to call the other girls over. "Come on, time to go get on the bus." She smiled as they happily followed her.

Once all of her girls had safely returned to their seats, Joey returned to hers next to Pacey. She was about to say something when Mr. Williams stood up, bracing himself against the seat as the bus began to move, and began addressing the group. "We'll be arriving at Fort Campbell in about a half an hour. When we get there, your bags will be waiting for you in piles sorted by group. Gather them and bring them to you barracks. Once you've finished unpacking, spend sometime getting to know everyone in your group. Remember, everyone needs to be at the play field by 1 o'clock," he finished and sat down.

"Pacey." Joey said lying her head down on his shoulder. "Don't move. I'm going to take a nap," she mumbled, as she closed her eyes.

"Okay Jo," he whispered back. In a few minutes her breathing had evened out. Pacey smiled, admiring her beauty as she slept. He watched her like this until they arrived at Fort Campbell. "Hey Jo. Joey..." he whispered, reaching over and running the side of his hand down her cheek in a subtle attempt to wake her.

"Mmmmm...Pacey?" she said fluttering her eyes, "Why did you wake me up?"

"We're here sleeping beauty. Final stop, Fort Campbell," he smiled. Joey smiled back and sat up, stretching.

"Thanks for being such a good pillow Pace," she said with a smile as she got up and escorted her girls off the bus and to their piles of bags.

"Joey?" Lexi asked, as they gathered their things and headed toward their barrack. "Do we have to stay with boys?"

"No, they stay on the bottom floor and we stay on the top floor. Don't worry, they aren't allowed to come upstairs. Which also means we can't walk around downstairs except to use the main door to exit." Joey explained, as they walked up the stairs of the barrack.

They were the first group there so they got their choice of beds. The rooms were separated by open-faced walls with a bed against each wall. Since there were seven girls in her group, Joey stayed in a cubicle with Brook. Once they'd laid their sleeping bags out across the mattresses, the girls all piled into Joey and Brook's cubicle to chat until it was time to play capture the flag. Lexi, Carrie, and Angela were piled on Joey's bed with her. On the opposing bed sat Steph, Sarah, Jen and Brook. "Okay, so why don't you all tell me something about you, then you can ask me questions."

As asked, they told Joey about themselves. Now it was her turn. "Okay, so who has a question for me?" she asked, once the last girl had finished talking.

"I do!" Carrie spoke up. "Who was that cute guy you sat with on the bus?" This caused Joey to blush.

"Oh, that was just Pacey."

"Is he your boyfriend?" Lexi asked.

"Oh, no. He's been one of my best friends since I was your age, before that even," she said, fondly.

"I dunno, you two sure looked cozy on the bus." Steph teased causing Joey to blush some more.

"Come on girls," she said checking her watch, "I'll tell you more about Pacey later. Now we have to get to the play field or we'll be late!"

Upon arrival at the play field, Joey noticed a row of orange cones stretched out down the middle of the field. The girls and boys had already separated onto opposite sides. Joey led her group to the girls side just as Mr. Williams came out to go over the rules.

"Okay. I'm sure all of you know the rules to Capture the Flag, but just in case, let's go over them one more time. The object of the game is to cross enemy lines, retrieve the flag, and bring it safely back to your side without getting tagged. If you get tagged you have to go to jail. To be freed, a member from your team must crossover and tag you without being caught themselves. If they successfully tag you, you are both given a free trip back to your side. Other than that, you start, and stop at the sound of my whistle. Have fun!" Mr. Williams said, finishing his speech and walking off of the field. When he was a safe distance away as not to get trampled, he blew his whistle.

Joey's girls took off running leaving her alone. 'Well, might as well play.' She thought to herself. 'Hmmmm..I remember how to play this. I need to wait until some poor unsuspecting sixth graders run out to leave me an open space to run,' she smiled to herself remembering how this was her, Dawson, and Pacey's favorite PE game in middle school. Just then three unsuspecting girls ran across the line giving Joey an opening. She took it and ran toward the flag. All she knew was that she had to keep running as not to get tagged. She was almost in reaching distance of the flag, which was someone's old sweatshirt, when a pair of strong arms caught her around the middle, and pulled her tight against a tall figure.

"Look what I caught," her capturer said, leaning down and whispering into Joey's ear, causing a shiver to run up and down her spine. "And where were you going in such a hurry Josephine?"

"Pacey," she said breathlessly, relaxing into his embrace. "Don't sneak up on people like that. You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Jo, as much as I enjoy this position," he said, suggestively toward Joey, "I'm afraid you just drew a 'go to jail' card."

"Oh come on Pace. It's me. Can't you just let me go? Just this once?" Joey whined.

"Sorry Jo but rules are rules. Now if you resist arrest I'll have no choice, but to carry you over there myself." Pacey smiled down at Joey.

"Thanks for the offer Pace but I'll go peacefully," she said, patting him on the shoulder as she headed off toward the jail. Pacey watched her as she walked away, but quickly turned his attention back to the game as she reached her destination and began to turn around.

The game went on until just before 3:00 when Mr. Williams blew his whistle again signaling its end. "Okay, everyone find your counselor and follow me. We're going to go visit the bunkers at Fort Campbell. They're almost exactly the same as Fort Watters, except with more rooms and an old cannon mount on top." He waited a few minutes until everyone was back into groups. "Great, follow me!" he announced as they headed off on their short hike to the bunkers.
Chapter 5 by Adrienne
Joey and her girls followed Mr. Williams and the rest of camp on a 20 minute walk to the Fort Campbell bunkers. Once they arrived, Mr. Williams directed all of the groups to sit on a set of large stone steps. "Okay kids, we have an hour to explore all of the bunkers. There is a set here, and another set of bunkers 10 more minutes down the trail. Half of you will come with me to the other bunkers now. Then in half an hour, we'll switch. I'll call groups by last name of counselor who are to come with me. Anderson, Ashley, Carter, Fields, Potter, Stevens, Ryan, Richards, and Witter. Would those groups please follow me?" he finished and began walking off down the path.

Ten minutes later, they arrived at a single, very large bunker. "This is O'Neil's bunker." Mr. Williams began after everyone had caught up. "It was built into the cliff side and used for military surveillance. Since the outside was made to only look like one large room to hide an intricate network of inner rooms. A secret door, which has now since been demolished, reveals the inner section of the bunker. Since the inside is pitch black, we are going to split up into partners. Each group will be issued a standard flashlight which I will hand out. You need to give it back to me before we leave. If anybody doesn't want to go in, I'll be waiting outside. When I blow my whistle, everyone is to come back outside."

Joey's girls split up among themselves, except for Brook who buddied with a guy in Pacey's group. Five minutes later, all of Joey's girls had gone in. She remained in the same spot drawing circles in the dirt with her shoes. "Hey Joey?" a voice asked from beside her. Joey looked up only to squint at a flashlight beam directed in her eyes. The beam was quickly removed to reveal Pacey. "Want to escort me in?" he asked.

"I think I'm going to pass on this one. I don't know what could be milling around in there." Joey said hesitantly taking a step backwards.

"Come on Jo. I'll protect you." Pace said linking arms with her and leading her into the bunker.

The inside was darker than Joey'd imagined it to be and the air held a pungent musty stench. Pacey waited until they were entirely shrouded in darkness before flipping on the flashlight. Even then the measly beam only illuminated a couple feet in front of them. Voices from within the bunker echoed of the walls making it seems as in the voices were surrounding them. Joey released Pacey's arm and latched firmly onto his hand. "Jo, you're not afraid again are you?" Pacey said, his voice barely a whisper so it wouldn't echo repeatedly off the walls.

"No, of course not. Why would I be. Any rational person would realize that there is nothing different between dark and light. Just the absence of sight, but who really needs that anyways. I mean, it's just like closing your eyes right and like I'm afraid..."

"Joey." Pacey said putting a stop to her rambling. "Calm down. You're rambling. Do you want to go back outside?"

"No, no. I can handle it as long as you're here." she said lowering her voice so as it was barely audible. Pacey smiled at her even though he knew she couldn't see it. They walked through a couple more rooms. Shining the light around, even though they wasn't really much to see. After ten minutes or so of looking at nothing, Pacey led Joey to a small stone bench and sat down.

"Why does Mr. Williams even bother?" Pacey asked. "This is obviously just a way to distract the students for a couple hours so they don't have to plan any real activities."

"Pacey. I..." she stopped, not really knowing what she wanted to say. She wondered how she'd ended up here with Pacey of all people. They had been hanging out a lot together recently. Even more so than her and Dawson. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she'd really done something with just Dawson. It was either her and Pacey or all of them. 'Me and Pacey. Pacey and Me,' she thought. It seemed strange to her that they had become such good friends. A couple months ago they would have killed each other if placed into a room together. Now he was the only person she could really talk to after her break-up with Dawson. He had been so sweet these past couple months. Always there to lend a hand. She smiled thinking how literal that was since her hand was currently in his.

"Um Jo?" Pacey said interrupting her reverie. "You've been pretty quiet. Were you going to say something?"

"Um, no. I was...no I wasn't. Just thanks Pace."

"For what?" he said pulling their linked hands into his lap causing her to slide a little bit closer to him.

"For being you," she said with an obvious smile in her voice.

"Did I do something special?" he asked gently nudging her with his shoulder.

"No. You've just been such a great friend to me lately. I mean take earlier today for example. Say I wanted to go into the dark tunnel and you weren't there to go in with me. You didn't see my supposed best friend Dawson there eager to escort me in. I haven't even talked to him since the meeting last night and even then we didn't really chat it up." Joey said exasperatedly. "I feel so distant from everyone. It's not like I was ever close to Jen, and she's always off gallivanting with that Henry guy anyways. And Andie, well, she's never been the same since she came back, but you already knew that. Jack, well Jack is off learning just what makes Jack time. So he's really too busy dealing with his own problems to help me with mine. And you know the story with Dawson so that just leaves you Pacey."

"I didn't know I meant so much to you Jo. I've just hanging around you to score free food at Potter B&B." Pacey said obviously joking.

"Way to spoil the moment Pace." Joey said nudging him.

"So it's just me and you against the world. Huh, Jo?" Pacey said smiling to himself.

"Seems like it. It's not too horrible putting up with my endless whining about life's little problems is it Pace?"

"No, Jo. Anything but. Spending time with you has been a God-send. You've helped me with my school work. I'm getting better grades now you know. And you've helped me keep my mind off Andie. You helped keep me on track when I was at the verge of losing it. I owe you Potter."

"Pacey you're the best friend a girl could ask for," she said leaning over and wrapping her arms around him. Pacey also reached around Joey and pulled her closer to him. It didn't matter that he couldn't see her. Feeling her heartbeat against him was satisfying enough. Joey lay her head against Pacey chest and closed her eyes also listening to the rhythmic beating of his heart. After a minute or so in their peaceful embrace, Pacey began to slide his hand up her back and entangled in her hair. Joey unconsciously did the same to Pacey as if it were to most normal thing in the world. Lifting her head up, she imagined Pacey smiling face in front of her since all she could see was darkness. His soft enchanting eyes, his full ultimately kissable lips. Pacey was doing the same in his head about Joey. Her dark enticing eyes, her rosy cheeks, her beautifully enticing mouth. Slowly Pacey leaned in until he felt his forehead resting gently against hers. He could feel her breathing softly against his face.

"Jo," he murmured trying to slow his breathing down. Was it suddenly getting hot in here?

"Shhh..Don't talk Pacey," she whispered back leaning in a little more closely. They got closer and closer. If the room were illuminated one would see theirs lips were within a centimeter of touching. Ever so slowly they moved closer. Closer and closer until, "TWEEEEEET."

"Wha....?!" Pacey leaned back quickly as did Joey. "Umm..that, that's Mr. Williams isn't it?" he said standing up.

"Yeah it is," she said with a bit of disappointment in her voice.

"We should get going then." Pacey said flipping on the flashlight and taking off.

"Um Pacey?" Joey called.

"Yeah Jo?" he said stopping

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Like what?"

"Me," she said obviously.

"Oh. God sorry Jo," he said walking back and taking her hand. "I didn't mean to. It was just the whistle andyou and I were and then there was the whistle and..."

"It's okay Pacey. I forgive you. Now just please lead me out of this dank hell hole."

"Anything for you Jo," he said smiling as he led her out of the bunker.
Chapter 6 by Adrienne
After everyone had exited O'Neil's bunker, Mr. Williams led them back to the first set of bunkers and left again with the other half of camp. Compared to the bunker they just visited, these bunkers were mundane and superficial. They didn't even go into the hillside and all rooms were well lit. Subsequently the fun was lost on these bunkers with their lack of pitch black darkness. Joey and her girls opted to sit outside on a stone plaza and chat until Mr. Williams returned and led them back to camp.

Upon arrival, Mr. Williams announced that they had an hour of free time until dinner at 6. Since every group had to perform a skit in front of the camp Friday morning, he suggested that they used their free time planning their skits.

Joey and her girls headed off to a far corner of the play field so that they could discuss their skit. Nearby in the middle of the field was Pacey's group who were engaged in a free-for-all game of ultimate Frisbee.

The girls sprawled out on the grass and began discussing skit ideas. "So who knows a good skit that we could do?" Joey asked her group.

"Can we do the naked skit?" Angela asked.

"The what?!" Joey said slightly horrified.

"You know, the naked skit. Angela and I learned it at Camp David Jr. last summer." Carrie piped up.

"Can you explain this 'naked skit' to me?" Joey asked.

"Sure. First we all need our sleeping bags. In the bottom of the bags we place a shirt, a pair of pants, socks, and a pair of underwear. The shirt and pants should be almost identical to what you are wearing during the skit." Angela started explaining. "We start walking on stage saying we're having a camp out instead of staying in our barrack. Then we all crawl into our sleeping bags and pull them up so you can't see our clothes. Then we get a counselor to come out and make up an excuse as to why they need out pants. So while staying hidden in our sleeping bags, we throw them the pants we had hidden in the bottom of the sleeping bag. Then we get more counselors to come out and ask for out shirts, socks and finally our underwear. The most important thing is that we always stay hidden in our sleeping bags so they can't see that we are actually wearing clothes. Then someone says it's getting too cold so we all decide to go back into the barrack. We get two girl counselors to come out and hold up a blanket to block the audiences view so we can sneak back into our barrack, but they trip and drop the blanket. The audiences gasps, but laugh when they realize we have our clothes on, end skit."

"Um, that sounds great Ang." Joey smiled. "What do you girls think?"

"I think Tyler is so hot!" Brook said staring off at Pacey's group playing Frisbee. She had changed her position so she was lying flat out on her stomach watching them play.

"I meant the skit," Joey said as the rest of her group stretched out in a similar fashion to watch the boys play.

"Yeah, it's great. Let's do that." Lexi said turning her attention to the boys.

"Hey Joey? Is that him?" Steph asked.

"Is who him?" Joey said, now intently watching Pacey.

"That guy. Is that Pacey your boyfriend?" Steph said.

"Yeah. That's Pacey." she said admiring his strong, muscular physique.

"So he is your boyfriend?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah...wait...who? Pacey? Um no...no he's not." she said a little bit to sadly.

"Too bad. He's hot!" Lexi commented.

"Yeah..." Joey mumbled still watching Pacey. They watched them play until dinner time was called. As the guys began to jog away, Pacey noticed Joey watching him and flashed her one of his Pacey-esque smiles that made her putty in his hands, though she'd never admit it to anyone. "Come on girls." Joey said standing up and leading them to the dining hall.

After dinner, Mr. Williams announced that there was an hour for skit practice before campfire. Since the camp was so large, half would go to the campfire behind the barracks and the other half would go to the campfire by the baseball field. To make it simpler, the groups were the same ones from the trip to O'Neil's bunker. Joey and her girls left to practice their skit in their barrack after he finished.

After an hour of practicing, it was time for campfire. Joey led her girls to the fire pit near the baseball field. It had just begun to get dark when they arrived. Joey instinctively looked around for her friends. When she didn't find any of them, she remembered they had all to the other campfire. Her girls took seats with their friends around the fire leaving Joey alone. She took a seat at one of the two picnic tables occupied by counselors, all of whom conveniently ignored her leaving Joey alone at the end of the table. Mr. Soule came out and started leading the group in a round of camp songs. Joey sighed and laid down on the table with her feet dangling over the edge. Drowning out the singing with her thoughts, Joey stared longingly up at the starts. She intently watched each one twinkle wondering how she'd ended up here. It all led down to Pacey. Pacey talked her into this. Pacey had been so sweet and understanding. Pacey was the one she'd almost kissed a few hours earlier. The one who held her hand and told her how much she meant to him. How did he manage to sweet talk her into this? 'It's because you like him Potter!' her mind screamed, 'Just admit it to yourself. You are yet again falling in love with your best friend.' Joey sighed in frustration. 'Like Pacey Witter is even interested you.' she scolded herself. 'He still loves Andie. He couldn't have been trying to kiss me. It was just because it was dark and he couldn't see me. It was an honest mistake.' she reasoned with herself. 'But his touch! I can't help but get butterflies in my stomach!'

"Jo. Joey?" a soft whisper came from directly beside her dancing against her ear. Joey turned her head to see Pacey lying next to her on the picnic table with his head turned toward her. With both of their heads turned they were only a couple of inches apart. "We were a little late." he smiled at her, the far away flames of the fire dancing in his eyes.

"That's okay. I'm glad I have someone to talk to now." she smiled back with the same fire dancing in her eyes.

"Joey Potter happy to see me? That's a first." he said smiling turning his head to gaze up at the stars.

"I'm always happy to see you Pacey." she said turning to look up at the stars.

They sat in silence staring up at the stars together until Pacey broke the silence. "So what are you doing tonight?"

"I hadn't really though about it."

"You want to do something with me?" he said innocently looking heavenward.

"I'd like that." she said. "What do you have in mind."

"Oh you know. A little wine, a little dancing, maybe a roll in the sack." he leered.

"Pacey." she scolded while laughing.

"Well, how about a midnight swim?" he asked.

"Pacey, you've got to be kidding. The water's like 50 degrees out there! I didn't let you drag me to camp so that I could catch hypothermia."

"Joey, you have got to get a sense of adventure! You are becoming more dull than Dawson. Haven't my undesirable social antics rubbed off on you yet?"

"I'm not about to let you corrupt me Pacey."

"Please. Just this once. We can invite Dawson and Jack and Jen and Andie if you want." he said with puppy dog eyes.

"No...no I'll come. You don't have to invite them," she said quickly stopping the banter. She'd let it go on just long enough to make it seem that she wasn't too eager to have a midnight swim with Pacey. 'I wonder if he brought a bathing suit?' she smiled to herself.

"Great Jo. So what are you doing until midnight?" Pacey asked.

"I don't know, sleeping?" she smiled looking up at the stars again.
Chapter 7 by Adrienne
It was 10:30pm and finally all of Joey's girls had fallen asleep. Joey was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She could here the other counselors outside enjoying themselves. Joey looked over at the digital alarm clock she had brought which read 10:32pm. Joey sighed at how pathetic she was and turned her attention back to the ceiling. While the other counselors where out having fun, there she was lying on her bed in the dark, dressed only in her bathing suit, waiting for Pacey.

"Jo?" a very tedious and unsure voice came from the stairs.

"Yeah Pace?" she whispered back just as quietly, instantly knowing it was him.

"Can I come up?" he whispered.

"Yeah, third cubicle on the left." she replied scooting toward the wall and leaving half of her bed open for Pacey to sit. About ten seconds later she felt Pacey flop down next to her.

"So what are you doing hanging out alone in your room Jo?" he said just loud enough only she could here him.

"I'm not alone." she smiled.

"So you want to go take a walk?"

"Where to Pacey?"

"You'll see." he said rising a pulling her up.

"Just a minute." she said slipping on a pair of jean shorts and thong sandals. Pacey was also dressed in his beach wear donning a pair a knee-length boarder shorts and an opened button-down shirt with strapy-velcro guy sandals. Joey quietly followed him downstairs and along the trail to the beach, carefully avoiding other night-going counselors. When they reached the beach, Pacey and Joey took off their sandals and left them by a nearby log. "I though we weren't going to the beach until later." Joey said as her and Pacey began to stoll along the water's edge.

"So I'm an impatient guy. Can't we just walk and talk for awhile before we dive on in?" he said looking at Joey.

"Sure Pace." They strolled in silence for about a minute, both illuminated by the moonlight reflecting off the water's surface. "Pacey."

"Joey." they both started at the same time.

"Go ahead Jo." Pacey said.

"I was just wondering, do you miss Andie." she said rather innocently.

"No Jo. Why would I miss her when I have you." he said taking her hand as they continued to stoll in silence. Pacey felt Joey shiver in the crisp night air. "Are you could Jo?" he said with concern.

"A little."

"Here." he said stopping, taking off his shirt, and putting it on Joey.

"Thanks Pace." she said admiring the way the moonlight now shown off his bare chest. "Aren't you cold though?" she said genuinely concerned.

"Nah Jo. Im tough." he smiled re-taking her hand as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "Let's just sit here for a moment." Pacey said taking a seat and pulling Joey down between his legs before she could protest. Tiredly Joey leaned back against his chest and Pacey wrapped his arms around her. "Joey?"

"Yeah Pace?"

"Do you miss Dawson?"

"Why would I miss him when I have you?" she smiled throwing his words back at him.

"You'd rather be with me than Dawson?" he happily smiled.

"Anytime."

"Joey?" he whispered.

"Yeah?" she whispered back.

"Can I kiss you?" he whispered into her ear. Joey froze, 'Why would Pacey want to kiss me?' "Joey? he said a bit nervously.

"Yes." she stated plainly.

"Yes what?"

"Yes you can kiss me."
Chapter 8 by Adrienne
Pacey's breath caught in his throat and his heart stopped cold for a brief minute. The world around him slowed and all of his senses were acutely aware of Joey's warm body pressed up against his. Had she really said what he thought she said? Joey Potter wants him to kiss her! His sweet, perfect, ever innocent Joey Potter wants to kiss the ever wise-ass town outcast Pacey Witter?

"Pacey." Joey breathed turning sideways so she was sitting his lap, effectively breaking Pacey from his trance-like state of disbelief. Her mouth now inches from his, her hair sparkling in the moonlight and slightly tousled from the breeze. Never had she looked more beautiful to him. 'Kiss her Witter!' his brain screamed but he was frozen by fear of rejection. What if he heard wrong? What is she doesn't like the kiss? Pacey looked up helplessly into her eyes as if begging her to do something, anything to save him. Joey rolled her eyes, wrapped her arms around the back of Pacey's head, and him to her. A tingle flooded throughout all of Pacey's body heightening his senses. His heart raced and in an instant his arms were around Joey pulling her closer. Their kiss grew more passionate by the minute until neither could breathe and they reluctantly parted, foreheads resting together. Pacey felt as if a weight had been lifted form his shoulders.

Smiling, he opened his eyes and looked into Joey's. She was grinning back at him. "Wow." Pacey finally mumbled.

Joey giggled slightly, "Yeah. How come we never did that before?"

"Good question Potter. Good question..." he said trailing off as he leaned in and gave her a shorter, sweeter kiss, smiling against her lips. Pacey felt her smile back and his heart skipped a beat. 'She kissed you back Witter!' his mind yelled with mirrored ecstatic joy dancing in his eyes. "Come on Potter," he said rising with his arms still around her, bringing her up with him. "Let's go for that swim." Joey smiled and let Pacey lead her to the water's edge without any complaint. Joey took off her shorts and Pacey's shirt, lying the on the dry beach, and joined Pacey when he was standing ankle deep. As the water touched her, Joey inhaled quickly in surprise at how cold it was.

"Pacey," she whined looking into his eyes.

"Don't be a baby Jo. You promised you'd swim with me. If you get in I'll give you a little lovin' later," he said waggling his eyebrows. Joey smiled and rolled her eyes, holding up her hand for Pacey to take. He gladly accepted and slowly led her deeper. Suddenly, Pacey ducked under the water and released Joey's hand.

"Pacey?" Joey said shyly turning in circle trying to locate him. Without warning Pacey grabbed her waist and pulled her under. "PACEY!" Joey screamed playing slapping his shoulder when they came up for air. He just laughed at her. "You think this is funny Witter?!" she said smiling as she closed the distance between them.

"You're so cute when you're wet Jo." Joey splashed him with a rather large wave in reply which sparkled with hundreds on tiny flashes.

"What was that?" Joey asked implying the sparkles in the water.

"I believe it was phosphorus." Pacey said matter-of-factly.

"Pacey." Joey smiled. "I'm impressed! Have you been paying attention in Chemistry?"

"Only when you're talking," he smiled back.

"It's so pretty Pacey." Joey said splashing the water again and watching the florescent sparks illuminate the water.

"Yeah, but not as pretty as you Joey." Pacey said seriously.

"Pacey Witter. You are the sweetest, most romantic guy I have ever know," she said kissing him. Pacey grinned goofily back at her afterwards which resulted in her splashing him directly in the face with an incandescent wave.

"Oh, you're gonna get it Potter!" he said splashing her back.

"Pacey!" she squealed in delight as she splashed him back.

"Oh, this is war!" he said tackling her and knocking both of them underwater.

"Pacey," she smiled as they resurfaced. "Can't we all just get along?" she said giving him an innocent look.

"Yeah right. The second I turn around you'll have the upper hand. My only choice left is to use the submission move," he smiled wickedly.

"The what Pacey?" Joey said, backing up as he got closer.

"The submission move. You know, render you useless. Take you out of the match in one swift move," he said nearing her.

"And this 'move', it consists of doing what exactly?" asked warily, still backing up. Pacey smiled devilishly and rose his fingers out of the water wiggling them.

"Noooo Pacey..." She backed up even further. "Anything but that! You know how ticklish I am!"

"But that's the whole idea," he smiled taking a step closer. Joey turned and tried to run, which proved impossible in the waist-deep water. "Caught you my pretty," he said in a mock wicked witch of the West voice.

"Pacey. No! No! Stop!" she yelled between fits of laughter as he caught her and began to relentlessly tickle her. Joey stopped tying to fight realizing it was impossible to escape and surrendered to her laughter. "All right, all right. I give up Pacey!" she laughed.

"I knew you couldn't resist me Potter," he spoke into her ear, and her laughing subsided. His arms remained around her waist and he lowered himself in the water, positioning Joey on his knee.

"You just sooo irresistible too," she said jokingly.

"God, you look beautiful Jo," he said seriously looking at her wet, tousled hair and pure face glimmering in the moonlight.

"You've always been a lady charmer Pace," she smiled leaning in and giving him a lingering kiss.

"What there some kind of rule against counselor fraternization." Pacey said as they parted.

"Screw it," she said leaning back in for more.

"My kind of woman." He smiled as her lips reached his again.

"Pacey. I'm cold, can we go dry off?" she said looking pleadingly into his eyes after they parted.

"You want me to warm you up?" he smiled suggestively.

"I was thinking more of getting out of this water before they have to amputate my toes due to severe hypothermia." Joey said shivering.

"I can arrange that." He said scooping her up in his arms and carrying her to shore.

"Pacey put me down," she mock scolded, "I can walk just fine on my own."

"Where's the fun in that Jo?" he said sadly as he put her down. They walked over to their pile of clothes. Joey opted not to put her shorts on since she was dripping wet, but she did put on Pacey button-down shirt. "Are you ready to head back?"

"Yeah, let's go get our shoes," she said sticking out her hand which Pacey took. They strolled along the water's edge kicking the waves. This produced a multitude of phosphorescent flashes with every splash. It felt so magical. Here they were, walking in the moonlight on the beach with sparkling water. Pacey felt like he was in heaven. He finally had the girl of his dreams.

The pair walked back down the beach, hand in hand, in silence enjoying the serenity of the moment. They reached their shoes, put them back on, and followed the trail leading from the beach back to camp. As they entered their barrack, Pacey walked Joey half way up the stairs and gave her a good night kiss.

"Pacey, I'm really tired, but we'll talk about this tomorrow." Joey said as they parted.

"Talk about what?" Pacey said innocently.

"This," Joey whispered leaning in for another more passionate kiss before turning and walking up the stairs leaving an awestruck Pacey behind.
Chapter 9 by Adrienne
Thursday Camp Campbell Schedule
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7:00am- wake up/showers
7:30am- breakfast
8:00am- first mini-class
10:00am- second mini-class
12:00pm- lunch
12:30pm- group time
1:00pm- third mini-class
3:00pm- fourth mini-class
5:00pm- free time
6:00pm- dinner
7:00pm- free time
8:00pm- camp fire
10:00pm- lights out for campers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


6:30am
"Hurry up Brook!" Angela yelled at the occupied shower.

"It's still my turn!" Brook yelled back. A large grumbling line of girls had formed in the bathroom waiting for their turn. The arguing escalated until a very unhappy and tired looking Joey stumbled into the bathroom.

"What are you all doing up so early?" she mumbled sleepily. "It's 6:30, you're not supposed to be up until 7."

"If we don't get in line now, the hot water will run out!" Lexi protested. Joey sighed and groggily made her way back to her bed. A few minutes later she was back in the bathroom with a towel and her shower bag.

"If the hot water's running out, I'm cutting." Joey announced pushing her way to the front of the line.

"No fair, you can't cut." Angela, who was at the front, protested.

"I can too. I'm the counselor and anyways you all woke me up early so unless you want me grumpy all day..."

"Go ahead Joey," Angela sighed rolling her eyes a bit.

By the time everyone was finished showering, it was nearly 7:30 and time for breakfast. Joey rushed her girls out the door and to the dining hall in record time. They sat down just as Mr. Williams made the check to see who was late. Disappointed that no one was late so that he could publicly humiliate them, Mr. Williams dismissed the counselors to go get the food.

"Hey Jo." Pacey smiled suddenly popping up behind her as a mob of counselors made their way to the food counter.

"Hi Pacey," she said almost shyly giving him one of her 100 watt smiles. Pacey flashed her a knowing smile back and whispered something into her ear causing her to blush and smile broadly.

"Did you just see that Jen?" Dawson whispered to the blond girl next to him from their position across the room.

"See what?" she said looking around.

"Pacey and Joey. They were acting kind of weird and secretive. I haven't seen Joey smile like that in the longest time either." Dawson furrowed his brow, intently watching his friends.

"Dawson," Jen said observing the pair. "I don't see them acting any differently than they always do." She turned to Dawson when he didn't answer to see a far off look in his eyes. "Dawson Leery, you aren't jealous are you?"

"Me? Jealous of Pacey? Nah, he's just... Jo would never... you don't think I have anything to worry about do you Jen?" he said with a worried look.

"Pacey wouldn't do that," Jen said leading Dawson back to their tables just before Pacey put his arm around Joey and whispered some more into her ear.

"Pacey!" she giggled in delight, "I don't think that qualifies as an extracurricular activity."

"It was worth a shot," he smiled. "So when are we anyways?"

"When are we what?" she inquired picking up a plate full of cereal bowls.

"Going to have our talk," he said seriously grabbing his own plateful of bowls.

"Umm...are you going with your group to their first mini-class after breakfast?" she asked as they made their way through the crowd back to their tables.

"They can do without me," he smiled as they sat down at their respective tables.

The rest of breakfast was uneventful and soon the counselors where shipping theirs kids off to their first mini-class. Just as Joey ushered the last of her girls out the door, she spotted Pacey waiting for her in the corner of the dining hall. She smiled at him and walked over. The talked quietly for a minute then slipped out the back door.

"Did you just see that Jen!?" Dawson said in disbelief pointing toward the empty back half of the room.

"See what Dawson?" Jen said surveying the empty space.

"Pacey and Joey. They just whispered something among themselves again and left. Together! Alone!" he said, trying to prove his theory.

"Dawson. Are you sure you're not seeing things? You keep saying Pacey and Joey are acting weird, but I haven't seen it. No one else has but you Dawson. I think you just miss having Joey around all the time more than you'd like to admit." Jen said losing interest in the subject and turning to leave.

"I'm sure of it Jen. Something's up. I'm going to follow them," he said jogging off toward the back door.

"Wait! Dawson wait!" she said following him. "You shouldn't be poking your nose into their business. They're probably just off working on a school project or something."

"I'm still going," he said exiting the building.

"Well, I'm coming with you then," she said following him through the door.

"Fine."

"Fine." The pair headed of in search of the elusive Joey and Pacey.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pacey come on," Joey said, hand in hand with Pacey, as he drug her up the steep incline of the hill the were scaling. "When are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"Not just yet Miss Josephine. You'll see soon enough." Pacey smiled as he pulled her up the hill. Joey sighed and let him lead her to the top.

"Pacey!" she smiled as they reached the top. "It's so beautiful here!" At the top of the miniature mountain was a grassy plateau covered with vibrant wild flowers which had a magnificent view of the entire camp as well as the ocean. "How'd you find this?"

"Truth be told Potter I had no idea this was up here. I just saw the base of the hill and thought where ever it lead it would be a good place for us to talk," he shrugged.

"Pacey," she laughed happily. "I still love it. I can't believe you didn't know this was up here." Joey stood by the edge and took a deep breath of the fresh air. Pacey stood behind her admiring the view with a hand on her hip.

"Come on Joey. Let's go sit down and begin our dreaded talk." Pacey said turning and walking over to a puffy patch of grassy taking a seat. As Joey neared, he reclined back and looked into the clear sky. Joey took a seat next to him, lying her head on his stomach so they were in a perpendicular position.

"Okay Pace. Shoot."

"I have to start?" he groaned. "Well, were should we start. The multitude of kisses, the midnight escapades, the constant hand holding."

"Well, when you put it that way Pacey," she smiled.

"Okay, I get to pick. How do you feel about Dawson?"

"That wasn't one of the choices!" Joey protested.

"So you don't have an answer?"

"Dawson who?" Joey said smiling as she rolled on her side lying on Pacey chest.

"Good answer. So where does that leave us? Are we an us?" Pacey said propping himself up on his elbows and smiling down at her.

"I'd like us to be an us," she smiled leaning forward on his chest so their noses were touching.

"Me too," he smiled before kissing her.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jen I'm not going back! I want to find out what they're up to first," Dawson said scaling the hill.

"Dawson! We've looked all over camp! This is the last possible place they could be. If we don't find them will you promise that we can go back to camp?" Jen complained as she almost slipped trying to make her way up the hill.

"Fine Jen. I promise that if we don't find Pacey and Joey when we reach the top we'll go back to camp." Dawson said as the top of the hill came into view.
Chapter 10 by Adrienne
"Jo, did you just hear something?" Pacey said breaking their kiss and giving her a concerned look.

"No," she smiled leaning in to kiss him again but Pacey stopped her.

"I'm serious Jo. I think I heard voices," he said sitting up and putting an arm around Joey so she wouldn't fall over.

"Who would come all the way up here?" she said straining to listen.

"Okay Dawson but this is it!" They distinctly heard the voice of Jen Lindley come from just a little ways down the hill.

"Pacey and Joey have to be up here. This is the last place we have to look." Dawson Leery's insistent voice made its way to them. Joey gave Pacey a horrified look.

"It's Dawson and Jen!" she whispered in utter surprise.

"And looking for us apparently," Pacey whispered back rising and pulling Joey up with him. "Come on, let's get out of here," he whispered and they ran to the opposite side of the hill and began to quickly make their way down.

"Did you just hear voices Jen?" Dawson asked as they finally neared the end of the half an hour climb.

"No, I didn't Dawson, and look. There's nobody up here anyway," she said bent over breathing heavily as they reached the top.

"I guess you right Jen. Let's head back down." Dawson said turning and heading right back down the path they'd just climbed.

"Dawson," she sighed and she forced herself to follow him, still exhausted from their trip up.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pacey, can we take a break?" she took a heavy breath as they reached the bottom of the hill.

"Sure Jo," he said stopping and letting her lean against his shoulder.

"Why were Jen and Dawson trying to follow us, Pacey?" Joey sighed looking up at Pacey while still leaning on her shoulder.

"I don't know Joey. Maybe they're jealous."

"Jealous of what Pacey?"

"Did you already forget about 'us'?" Pacey said with a tiny bit of concern.

"Pacey of course not! I meant they don't know about us so they wouldn't be jealous of us."

"Point taken Jo. Since we were interrupted, shall we go somewhere a little more private?"

"How about our barrack?"

"They'll never look there Jo!" he teased.

"At least we'll be able to here them coming sooner," she smiled as they walked off.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Look Jen!" Dawson said pointing toward one of the large barracks as they finally made it back to camp.

"Look at what Dawson?!" Jen said exasperatedly pulling sticks out of her hair and brushing dirt off of her clothes.

"Pacey and Joey just went into that barrack!" he said grabbing her hand and taking off again before Jen had even thirty seconds to breathe.

"Dawson! We can't just go in there!" Jen scolded as they neared the entrance.

"Why not?" he said walking up the steps.

"For one it's not our barrack!" she said pointedly.

"But their ours friends. They won't mind. It's not like they're doing anything!" Dawson said stomping up the stairs with a frazzled Jen following him.

Joey and Pacey were lying on her bed making out for lack of a better word. "Weren't we going to talk?" Pacey asked between heated kisses.

"I don't remember anything about talking," she said kissing him again. Just then loud footsteps came from the stairs leading up to Joey's floor.

"Not again!" Joey whispered jumping off Pacey and quickly grabbing a text book next to her bed which she ungracefully chucked at Pacey who made a grunt as it hit him in the stomach. Joey hopped back onto the bed next to Pacey with a book of her own in record time just as Jen and Dawson turned the corner. "Oh hey you two!" Joey smiled looking up from her book and brushing a strand of tousled hair behind her ear.

"Hey Joey, Pacey." Jen smiled sitting down on the bed across from them.

"What are you two up to?" Pacey said shutting his 'French text book?! Smooth move Jo!'

"Just seeing what was up with you two. You've just been studying here the whole time?" Dawson said a tad bit too suspiciously.

"Yep. Just me and Pace and a bunch of words written by long since dead college professors." Joey smiled shutting her Biology book.

"Oh," Dawson said kind of disappointed his trek was in vain. "Well, Jen and I just wanted to see if you two wanted to, you know, hang out or something."

"Well, we could always use a study break." Pacey said standing, and carelessly chucking the book against the wall beside Joey bed, meriting him an evil look from her.

Just then a loud siren went off through camp signaling the end of the second session and the beginning of lunch. "Guess we'll have to take a rain check." Pacey said as the four exited the building and headed to the dining hall where they met up with their kids.

After lunch there was more group "bonding" time for a half an hour so Joey escorted her girls back to their barracks for some chatting. Like last time, Joey and her girls sat on the beds in her cubicle. "Well, did you girls have fun today?" Joey asked trying to start a conversation.

"We had to make people out of pine cones," Lexi said with annoyance.

"That sounds like it could be fun," Joey said trying to lift her girls spirits.

"It was a blast." Carrie said sarcastically, "So what did you do?"

"Pacey and I went for a hike," she said plainly.

"Ohhh...a romantic hike I bet!" Brook said in a teasing voice. Joey gave her a look of annoyance.

"Well, for your information Pacey and just....we're really good friends," she finished. 'Do I tell a bunch of sixth graders? I mean, we're not really *just friends*,' Joey mentally debated with herself.

"My friend Amber says her counselor likes Pacey," Angela spoke up.

"Who's her counselor," Joey asked with slight alarm. Now that Pacey was hers she did not intend to lose him so quickly.

"This ultra annoying girl Andie," Angela replied.

"Oh," Joey breathed a sigh of relief, "Andie is Pacey old girlfriend. He dumped her a few months ago. She's just still kind of hung up on him."

"So who's his girlfriend now?" Carrie asked curiously.

"Well, I am...not sure who is," she covered quickly.

"But you two are such good friends shouldn't you know?" Carrie persisted.

"I, well, look at the time! We have to get you to your next session!" Joey said bolting up and ushering them out the door. Just before she herself exited the door something grabbed her and pulled her into the unlit bottom floor of the guy's area.

"Hey where'd Joey go?" Steph said looking around after all the girls had exited the barrack.

"Who cares," said Jen, "we're going to be late." The girls quickly left to their next class.

Joey inhaled quickly in surprise as she was pulled onto the guys floor, but quickly calmed down when she realized it was only Pacey. "God you scared me!" she whispered at him.

"Well, if we plan on escaping the wrath of Dawson we need to find a better hiding place," he said leading her down the corridor.

"In your room?" she said confused.

"No lamo. We're going to sneak out the back," he said leading her to the back exit.

"Oh, gotcha," she said letting Pacey lead her to the door. He opened it a peered around making sure the coast was clear until they left. Quickly the pair turned the corner and headed off away from camp toward some bunkers hand in hand. Just as they disappeared over the horizon, a girl noticed them.

"It can't be," she said peering at them. "That's not Joey and Pacey holding hands!...is it? I have to go find out! I can't lose Pacey." A determined Andie McPhee quickly jogged after the pair.
Chapter 11 by Adrienne
Pacey led Joey down the trail to the beach, which they had walked the previous night. Hand in hand they ran down the sandy hill onto the shoreline where they took of their shoes and took a romantic stroll in the brilliant sunshine and slightly cooling breeze. Andie watched the pair disappear down the trail to the beach and decided to follow them. Stealthily she crawled across the top edge of the hill to the beach ducking behind bushes and trying to get close enough to hear what they were saying. It was bad enough that they were holding hands, she just hoped there was nothing more going on. "You know we can't keep avoiding everyone." Pacey said swinging Joey's hand. "Sooner or later they're going to have to find out." "Can't it be later?" Joey said smiling while squinting into the sun. "I wish Jo, but we can't hide this. I don't want to hide this. I won’t the climb back up to the top of that damn hill and scream out to the world that I am in love with Joey Potter." "Pacey," she said quietly, "you...you love me?" "Um, well, yah. I just, I didn't mean to tell you like that, I was..." Pacey stuttered. "Pacey. Shut up, I love you too,” she said wrapping her arms around his shoulders and giving him a passionate kiss. Suddenly a loud crashing sound rang out. "Did you just hear branches braking?" Joey asked looking around. "It was probably just a wild animal." Pacey shrugged it off as they continued to walk down the beach. 'Thank goodness they didn't notice me!' Andie breathed a sigh of relief from her sprawled position at the bottom of the hill. In horrific surprise of seeing them kiss she had lost her balance and tumbled down the steep incline into some crackly old bushes. "I can't believe that Joey is hustling my Pacey!" she said angrily to herself after the initial shock had worn off. "Boy are they going to hear a piece of my mind!" she stormed off down the beach ignoring the sharp sticks poking her every which way and the piles of sand in her clothes and hair. "Pacey! Joey!" she called freezing the pair in their tracks. They dropped hands quickly and spun around to see a mangled Andie McPhee who looked like she'd just survived a hurricane. "Andie! What the hell happened to you?!" Joey said in surprise trying not to laugh at the twigs and leaves poking out of her tangled hair. "Oh don't play all sweet with me miss innocent girly-girl from the wrong side of the creek." she said taking a step closer to them. Pacey instinctively took a step in front of Joey. "Andie. Are you sure you're all right? Do you need some help?" Pacey said trying to calm her down. "Pacey how could you do this to me!" she suddenly fell to the ground in a heap and began bawling. "Andie what's wrong? Are you hurt?" Pacey called from his unchanged position near Joey. "Pacey, I, I love you. I know you love me too. Please say you love me too! I know you didn't mean to kiss Joey back there. She just kissed you, right? You couldn't have kissed her back or anything because we're destined to be together and I can't live without out you anymore." she finished standing up, her tears subsiding. "Well, know that that's done, come on Pacey, you may walk me back to camp now." she gave them a disgustingly sweet smile. Pacey and Joey gave each other a look the turned back to Andie. "First off Andie, no I'm not going to walk you back to camp. I'm going to stay here with Joey." he said taking her hand again, "Second, no Andie I am not in love without and no we can't get back together no matter how pitifully you plead your case. And three, you I did mean to kiss Joey and yes we are together so would you please take yourself back to camp and get the nurse to check you out because you don't look so good." he finished turning and walking off down the beach again with Joey. "Pacey, don't you think you were just a tad bit hard on Andie. She is delusional, maybe she didn't know what she was saying." Joey said trying to be compassionate. "She needs to stop dreaming Jo and move on. I have," he said smiled at her. "You know Pacey, she's going to go back to camp and tell everyone about us." Joey said creasing her brow. "Joey? Did you see her! She looks like she just got ran over by a garbage truck and she's going to go tell people that *we* hooked up. They'll lock her up and call her crazy, again." "Pacey. You should try to be at least a little nice. You did just break her heart." "Joey trust me. No one will believe her. She's obviously just emotionally distraught because I rejected her. Whatever she say will just make it look like she's trying to get even." "Well, I guess. Now that we have that settled, do you think we can find somewhere a little more private where we won't be constantly interrupted by our ever nosy friends." "Good idea Jo. Let's head back to camp though and do a little damage control before Dawson and Jen suspect something." "As long as you promise me some one-on-one time later." she smiled. "Can do Potter." BACK AT CAMP- "Dawson! Jen!" a ragged Andie McPhee stumbled her way over to them. "Andie! Are you alright?" Dawson put a concerned hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry about me. You'll never guess what I just saw!"
Chapter 12 by Adrienne
"You'll NEVER guess what I just saw!" Andie said breathing rapidly.

"Well are you going to tell us or what? You've been saying that same thing for 5 minutes now Andie." Jen said a bit perturbed.

"Okay, okay. I was just getting there. Anyways, I was taking a casual walk along the beach enjoying the nice day when what did I stumble upon, none other than Joey and *my* Pacey going at it in the sand." she finished with a huff.

"I knew it!" Dawson yelled with a rising anger in his voice. "How could Pacey do this to me!" he suddenly broke down and began to sob with a sudden change of emotion. Andie started crying along with Dawson and fell to the ground with him.

"I think they're cute together." Jen smiled thoughtfully to herself ignoring the two hysterical people on the ground. "Speaking of the young couple.." Jen said as Joey and Pacey ran toward them hand in hand. The pair stopped short when they saw Dawson and Andie on the ground.

"We can explain." Joey said looking at the scene the two lovelorn teenagers were causing.

"Joey how could you. We're soulmates! I love you Joey!" Dawson said rising.

"No Dawson. We have barely even spoken to each other for months. We had a rocky relationship the whole time and now I'm happy with Pacey. Can't you just be happy for me?" Joey said clutching Pacey's hand.

"It's just hurts Jo." he said, his tears subsiding.

"I know Dawson and I'm sorry you had to find out this way. I love Pacey with all my heart but I don't want to lose your friendship. You know we were never meant to be Dawson. If we were we'd still be together now. I just wish that someday you'll be as happy as me." she said releasing Pacey's hand and giving Dawson a comforting hug.

"I'll be okay Jo. I'm happy that you're so happy." He approached Pacey, "Well I told you to take care of her man. You just better not let me down." he said giving Pacey one of those guy hugs.

"Thanks Dawson. You're a great guy."

"Best friends have to support each other Pace." Dawson smiled back at them.

"Pacey!" a moan came from the ground. "I'll still give you another chance! Please come back to me!"

"Andie we already went over this!" Pacey sighed.

"Andie." Jack said stepping up from his place in the observers. "I think you should come with me. We need to talk and you should get yourself cleaned up."

"Well, now that that's over." Joey smiled at Pacey and kissed him.

"My sentiments exactly Potter." he smiled back at her.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Later that night....


"So Joey?" Angela asked as the girls were putting their coats on for campfire. "What did yo do today?"

"Hung out with Pacey." she said simply.

"Are you sure you two aren't going out?" Carrie asked suspiciously.

"Actually no I'm not sure." she said gaining her girls attention. "Okay." she sighed as they gathered around her. "It all started when Pacey and I went swimming last night..." she started telling her tale to the eagerly awaiting girls.
This story archived at http://capeside.fanfix.de/viewstory.php?sid=44