7.11 - Aftershocks by Deb, BeatrizRC, Karen, Janet
Summary: While on different coasts, Dawson and Joey deal with and reflect on the latest events that occurred between them, both making some final decisions. Reality hits Jack when he is given notice of Amy’s future, although he finds solace in other news. Meanwhile, Pacey is ready to go back to New Orleans, but not before doing what he has to do first.
Categories: Slash > Jack/Doug, Romance > Dawson/Joey Characters: Clique
Language: English
Tags: Family, Friendship, Romance, Slash, Virtual Episode
Challenges: None
Series: Dawson's Creek - Virtual Season 7
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 28465 Read: 52371 Published: 13-07-17 Updated: 13-07-17

1. Chapter 1 by Deb

2. Chapter 2 by Deb

3. Chapter 3 by Deb

4. Chapter 4 by Deb

Chapter 1 by Deb
Early morning, Capeside.

The camera pans across the creek on a crisp winter morning, although all traces of snow seem to be gone. Someone knocks on a door and waits a few moments before the door opens. The camera angle changes so that we are now seeing who is knocking on the door.

"Morning Andie." Pacey says still sounding sleepy.

"Morning to you, too, Pacey!" She sounds upbeat and chipper.

"How can you still do that?" He asks her wondering how she can be so cheerful all the time as she pushes him inside the house. "I bet you could be dead on your feet at the hospital and still, you’re sunshine, Andie."

"You’d be sadly disappointed then if you were to see me on the bad end of a thirty-six hour shift then." Andie quips as she lets him in, leading him in the direction of the kitchen.

He makes a pained face. "Is the rest of the gang awake?"

"Just finishing with breakfast."

"Morning, Grams! Morning, Jack." Pacey says as he makes a bee-line for Amy sitting in her high chair. "Morning, Miss Amy!" He beams down at her before kissing the top of her head, to her enjoyment.

"Morning, Pacey. Can I get you some breakfast?"

"I’ve already eaten thanks, Grams. I wouldn’t say no to a cup of coffee, though."

She smiles at him as she pours him some coffee.

Jack eyes him suspiciously and glances at his watch. "What are you doing here so early? I thought you didn’t know what the a.m hours looked like unless it was dark outside."

"Your words wound me. They do." Pacey rolls his eyes. "I actually just stopped by to tell you all that I have to go back to New Orleans today."

"I thought you were going to hang around for a few more days." Andie says, disappointment evident in her voice. "Until everything with…" She trails off as she glances to Jack and to Amy.

"I really want to stay, but I can’t be away from the restaurant any longer. It was a bit of a stretch getting away this long as it is, especially at this time of year." He says before drinking some of his coffee.

"When do you leave?" Jack asks.

"Tonight, but before that, I have a few errands to run." He takes a sip of coffee again, his face pensive for a moment, then he moves closer to where Amy sits. "I’m not sure if Jen ever told you this, but I promised her that I’d try and help with taking care of Amy. I feel as though I somehow haven’t been keeping to my word…"

Jack cuts in. "You know very well that Jen would understand. You have your life and it’s no longer in this state or town."

(Parts of "Farewell To The Old Me" by Dar Williams can be heard in the background)

How can I ask love to hold the mystery
When just look at me
It's all push and pull collateral

"I know that." He smiles. "But I can always do something, even if it’s small. I mean, I’m always going to be Uncle Pacey. No one can ever hope of replacing me there. What I really came to say is that if you ever need anything or if I’m needed here at any point, no matter how tough it gets, you just have to lift that phone and I’ll be here as quick as humanly possible. I intend to still uphold what I told Jen."

"Thanks Pacey." Jack smiles. "That really means a lot."

I don't want to be the one who gets the next surprise

I'll plan it out this time

"It’s the least I can do." He glances at his watch and then takes a gulp of coffee. "I really should be heading out. If I can, I will try and stop by again before I leave."

Andie watches closely as Pacey lifts Amy from her high chair. "You remember to be a good girl for Uncle Pacey, won’t you? Yes you will." He kisses the top of her head again before placing her back in the high chair.

"I'll see you guys later."

"You make sure and have a safe trip." Grams instructs him.

"I will do my best."

"I would have made you a packed lunch had I known you were leaving."

Pacey laughs. "I will try to remember that next time."

Though I used to think that things were meant to be

Andie walks him to the door and they are both silent until they get there and Andie speaks.

"You do know that works both ways, don’t you?"

"What do you mean?"

'Cause I don't wanna be the one who makes you laugh out loud

"If you ever need someone…" She smiles weakly. "I’m always here for you."

"How long for?"

"For however long you would need me for." She finishes and as she does, they fall into this lingering hug. "I just wish you could stay longer."

"Me, too," Pacey replies, "We never seem to get enough time before one of us has to leave."

"I know." Andie says, breaking the hug softly.

"Let’s try and keep in touc more and, new concept, even try and meet up more often."

I wanna make you proud

"That’s a novel idea." He smirks as they break the hug. "But for now, I've got something to do," he says, with a distant look for a brief moment "Something that will make you proud," he comments brightly, shaking his finger as he trots away.

"Pacey!" Andie calls.

"Yeah?" he asks, turning around and walking again up to her the few steps that separated them.

"You always made me proud, mister ‘I got an A in history’ ".

Pacey smiles wide and bright at the memory. Rain, a car, and a 16 years old Andie. "I’ll see you soon, okay?" he says.

"Yeah!" She nods and Pacey looks at her intensely.

"I promise," he says, making sure she can see he is being serious.

And you always said you knew what I could be

"I know," she laughs, gently pushing him out the house, knowing he has things to do even though she would have liked him to stay for a little longer.

So farewell to the old me
Farewell to the old me

"Okay," he smiles for the last time at her before turning around and leave.

Andie leans on the door frame, staying there until he is out of sight.

CREDITS

Audrey’s car. In front of the Leery house.

As Audrey kills the ignition, she glances at Dawson’s house before turning to Joey.

"Doesn’t it ever feel …I don’t know, strange being here at Dawson’s when he’s not here?"

"Why would it?"

"I don’t know. Just always thought of it as 'Dawson’s house', like it’s a sacred place or something. Am I even making sense?"

Joey shakes her head, looking at her with an amused expression in her face. "No, not really."

"I’m only rambling because I want to somehow take your mind off of you going in there to speak to Gale."

"I’m perfectly fine, Audrey. I know what I have to say."

"About you and Dawson…" She trails off looking for the right words.

"Knocking boots?" Joey offers.

"I was actually gonna go for making love, but we’ll go with your term. You’re okay with this?" She asks.

"Yeah, well kind of. I know what I want now. I mean, I really know what I want."

"You’re not scared?"

"No…yeah."

"Bunny!" Audrey says sympathetically as she squeezes Joey’s glove covered hand. "Talk to me."

"I’m scared that I may have just notched up my second one night stand, and it was with the same guy as the first."

"You really want this?"

"Yes!"

"Good." Audrey states as she retreats her hand, placing it back on the steering wheel. "Do you need me to give you another pep talk?"

"No."

"Then get out of the car, cause I am wasting valuable shopping time here."

Joey rolls her eyes and they hug briefly before kissing each other on the cheek.

"See you later."

"Hopefully I will return with lots of shopping bags." Audrey makes a face and scrunches her nose. "Although in this town, that probably won’t happen."

As Audrey drives out of sight, Joey walks up the porch steps with a bounce in her step. She knocks on the door and is surprised when it is answered right away by Gale.

"Oh...Hi, Joey. This is a surprise." Gale greets Joey, the surprise evident in her voice.

"Hi, Gale. Can I come in?"

"Well of course you can, honey," Gale says, gently pushing her inside, her hand on Joey’s back, rubbing it gently.

Cut to inside the Leery living room.

"It’s so nice to get an unexpected visit from you. How are you, Joey?" Gale asks as she hands Joey a cup of coffee.

"I’m fine, how are you?" Joey asks, suddenly wanting to prolong what she came here to say.

"I’m a little sad." Gale tells her, eyeing her curiously with the corner of her eye. "Would you believe I miss our boy so much already?" she asks with a innocent voice.

"Well, you’re his mother. It’s to be expected." Joey replies, knowing full well she said "our" boy.

"You would think that, with the amount of times he’s gone and the length of time he is away for, I would have somehow built up immunity to him leaving."

"But you don’t and sometimes you even begin to miss them before they leave."

Gale nods in agreement trying to read into Joey’s expression, then she has a distant look in her eyes as she remembers a time from before, when she knew Mitch was leaving. "It makes you cherish the moments you have with them before that feeling comes." She smiles directly at Joey. "I just try to focus on when he’s here and try not to succumb to the fact that he’ll leave again soon."

This time it’s Joey’s turn to nod, knowing that feeling all too well.

"When Dawson is here, it's like I have a bigger part of Mitch with me, and when he leaves…"

"You start to dwell on the past?" Joey voices and Gale seems slightly taken aback that Joey understands what she means.
Gale chuckles. "You talk like you know what I go through."

Joey nods. "Oh yes, I do." She frowns her eyebrows and try to find the right words. "I’ve been thinking over a lot of things recently, but not really dwelling on it until I was re-reading this book I once read for my Hispanic Literature class. ‘My Invented Country’ by Isabel Allende. Have you ever read it?"

("An Uncommon Love" by Carole King starts playing in the background)

"No."

"It was sort of autobiographical and also reflected on how we choose our past. There’s this particular part in the book I really loved, were Allende speaks of her grandson. How he once told her that he wished he could live in an imaginary world like she did, where things that never really happened are, somehow exalted, idealized and turned into memories. Yeah, the past has a way of rewriting itself as we grow old, and I’ve realized that that is exactly what I did, what I’ve been doing for a number of years. With the difference that I took the past I had and completely rewrote it, creating this new one that I let rule me and my choices. Making me do and say things that weren’t true to me, to what I had lived." Joey pauses for a moment and takes a sip of her coffee. Then, after casting a glance to Gale, who is listening to her with attention, she decides to go for the killer.

Why do we isolate each other
All the walls we build between us
Make it so hard to be together

"Like Dawson and me. Somehow I buried certain parts of our history; put it all in a far, safe place. A place I knew I’d never really look, where I thought I’d be allowed to move on. But I didn’t. How can you truly give up something if, at one point, it was all you ever wanted? If it’s never really had a chance and you come to realize that it deserves that chance, and that’s what you want more than anything?"

Gale doesn’t reply, instead she looks at Joey with intense curiosity.

How can we tear at one another
When the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love

"He’s my soulmate. I know that and so does he. It just so happens there are different types of soulmates and we’ve never really taken the time to define which we are. But I know now what we are. I’m ready to be what I was hiding from. I know that if I never do anything, if I don’t at least try, then I will always regret what could have been."

Walls can fall, tears can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

"It’s scary isn’t it?" Gale asks and Joey’s eyes fall on Gale again, as though she forgot for a moment that she was talking to someone. "Knowing that one decision, one wrong move, could lead to something you regret. When I was unfaithful to Mitch… it was so stupid. I had so many reasons for doing what I did, yet at the same time, I had none. After Mitch and I separated, I was foolish enough to even believe that my happiness was dependant on being with him. But it wasn’t. You can’t depend on anyone but yourself for your own happiness."

Joey nods her head in agreement as Gale's eyes well up a little with tears.

Here on two sides of the truth
We've a middle ground in common
We have an uncommon love

"I felt like I was no one without Mitch. It was only once I cut the cord that I realized I could be happy. Maybe it was realizing this that brought him back to me. If soulmates really exist, there is no question about it...he was mine. He’s still with me everywhere I go. That doesn’t stop me from loving John, though. Because I know Mitch would have wanted me to be happy. I know that if Mitch were here, John wouldn’t be. Because Mitch was destined for me. My love for John is different. I’m not sure if you will know what I mean."

Joey looks at her thoughtfully, reflecting on the guys that have been in her life and how they all were somehow a substitute for Dawson, yet never quite living up to that expectation, even though she did love them, in her own way.

Time can heal, hearts can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

"Yeah, I know." The two women smile at each other knowing that they share a common bond.

"Gale…" Joey takes a deep breath. "I know you probably know what happened between Dawson and me."

"Yeah, I pretty much heard you fight. I didn’t mean to, but it was really hard not to." Joey’s head bows down a little embarrassed. It’s true. They truly forgot they weren’t alone. "I’m sorry for that, by the way. I know you are adults now, but it seems like things are just the same than they were years ago, aren’t they?"

Joey replies quickly. "They don’t have to be. That’s why I came here. I knew you knew, and I want you to know my aim isn’t to hurt Dawson…"

When will we ever learn
That the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love

"I know that, Joey." Gale interrupts and sighs. "Believe me, I do. We just have this profound ability to hurt the ones we care about the most."

Joey knows only too well. "I know I’ve hurt him in the past. I only hope I have the chance to make up for all of that."

We have an uncommon love
An uncommon love

Before Gale can respond, Lily enters the room and a big smile spreads across her face on seeing Joey.

"Joey!"

"Hello there, Miss Lily. How are you today?"

"I’m good. Momma and I are going shopping. Wanna come?"

Joey looks from Lily to Gale and back to Lily again. "Not now, but next time, you bet."

Gale clears the coffee cups from the table and moves towards the kitchen as Joey puts her coat on. As she wraps her scarf around her neck, she notes Lily looking at her with a very curious look on her face.

"Okay, no shopping. But what about a movie? Joey, would you like to watch a movie with me?"

Joey is amused by the question and smiles at her. "Sure, anytime."

"What about now?"

"Lily, aren’t you coming with me to the mall? I thought we were going together and picking up Alex on the way," Gale asks with evident surprise. Lily never says no to spending a moment with Alex. The girl seems to be pondering her thoughts.

"No, I’d prefer Joey to stay here if possible. I’ll call Alex and let him know," she says, turning her hopeful eyes to Joey.

"Honey, Joey may have things to do..." Gale tries to explain but she is interrupted by Joey.

"No, it’s okay, Gale. If she doesn’t feel like shopping, we can stay here and watch some movies until you come back. I would love to watch a movie with Lily," she beams at her, curious to see what the girl has in store.

"Great!" Lily exclaims, beaming back.

Dawson’s LA office. Early morning.

Samantha stands leaning on the door frame of Dawson’s office. She’s been standing there for a few minutes now and has noticed the far off look in his eyes as he sits at his desk. She starts to hum a tune, trying to get his attention. She clears her throat and still nothing. Samantha lightly calls his name as she walks towards his desk. Once she’s in front of it, she waves her hand in front of his face.

"This is planet Earth calling Dawson. Come back to us, Dawson."

"Huh?"

"Hey, Dawson." Sam says her voice upbeat and sunny as she smiles at him. "Welcome back!"

"Hi. What can I do for you?"

She just folds her arms and stands above him, looking at him with curiosity.

"What?"

"Where were you just now?" She asks, almost certain she’ll have to prod for information.

"Just thinking." He shrugs.

"About?"

"Nothing…everything. Life…love."

"Brunette, tall, crooked smile, owner of that distinct Capeside charm when you first meet her. Am I close on any of the above?"

"How’d you guess?"

She rolls her eyes. "Just lucky. Spill already."

"We slept together."

"You mean like Sammy and Colby?" She asks, her face poker straight.

He just looks at her in that ‘you know what I mean, don’t make me tell it all’ way.

"Oh. How was it?"

He runs a hand though his hair. "Great!" He replies, not exactly over-enthusiastically.

"Sounds like it!" She waits a moment for him to add more and when he doesn’t she asks, "Why aren’t we happier about this? What does it mean?"

"She wants us to try again…" he trials off.

"But you have some reservations?"

"You could say that. We’ve been down this road so many times before."

"Really?" Sam asks, not really expecting him to reply, so she continues. "The impression I always had was that you had actually been together no more than three times and the last time it was for less than twenty-four hours. Everyone makes mistakes, Dawson. Nobody is flawless. Not you or I, and not Joey. Should she be made to pay for hurting you all those years ago? Should you be made to pay for hurting her? Who wins in this situation?" She starts pacing in front of his desk now.
"You said it yourself...it was great. She wants to be with you now. The only person standing in the way of that happening is you." She stops pacing and looks him directly in the eye. "You’re the only person standing in the way of your happiness. You’re so concerned with thinking it won't work, but isn’t it better to love and be loved for a little while than not at all?" She puts some papers down on his desk. "Think about what I said. Don’t be stubborn about this. Leave it me to miss all of this. I’m away from you for how long and everything happens?" She shakes her head.

Dawson just roles his eyes and doesn’t look at all amused and Sammy’s response is to just smile down at him and wink.

"Now that we’ve pretty much dissected my love life, what’s going on with you and Ethan?"

"That would be for me to know and for you to find out!" She states, sticking her tongue out at Dawson.

"Trust me, I’m trying to find out. You’re just not being very forthcoming with the details."

"I think that, for now, I want to refrain from comment."

"Why?"

"I don’t want to hex it."

"Okay, I can understand that."

"But as soon as I feel the need to shout it from the rooftops, you will be the first person I tell," Sam tells him before swiftly changing the subject. "So, looking forward to the big party?" She asked, referring to the big New Year's Eve party that the network throws each year.

"Hmm, not really."

"Rather be somewhere else?" Dawson nods and she enquires. "With someone else?"

"You could say that! I had such high hopes for spending New Year's with Mom and Lily. Haven't gotten to do that for awhile." Dawson voice twists with regret as his words trail off to a place that Sam can not follow. His tone changes as he asks, "How about you?"

"Not really looking forward to it. When that bell chimes, I won’t have anyone to kiss." Her grin warms like honey. "Not like last year."

"I thought that after you stuck your tongue in my mouth at the stroke of midnight last year, we agreed neither of us would mention that again."

She shrugs. "What’s the point in being friends if we can’t joke about things we did when we were drunk?"

"You mean when you were drunk?"

She rolls her eyes. "Details, Dawson, stupid little insignificant details. And if memory serves me correct, you weren’t exactly protesting."

"Hey, I was caught totally unaware."

"That’s why you pulled me back in for another kiss?"

He smiles at her. "You could always ask Ethan. I’m sure he’d be a more than willing subject."

"I think he said something about his family." She tells him over her shoulder as she moves towards the hallway. "You play your cards right, Leery, and I may let you see in New Year’s with me again. By now, just remember thatI´ll pick you up tonight for dinner"

"Aren’t I just the luckiest guy ever?" He calls to her once she’s out of the room, before chuckling.

Outside Maddie’s house, Capeside.

A faint breeze rustles the leaves of a large tree overhanging a neat white house. A dog is huddled on the top step, attempting to gain some warmth from the last rays of the late afternoon sun. It lifts its head at the sound of an approaching vehicle. A car drives slowly into view and Pacey Witter leans his head out the driver’s side window. His eyes look to the brass house number 42 and his face reflects some of the unease he is feeling, as his destination is confirmed. Pulling over to the curb, Pacey parks the car, shutting off the engine.

The large Rottweiler maintains his avid interest at this potential threat to his master’s domain and gazes fixedly at the car.
Pacey noting, for the first time the steady regard of the dog, lets out an audible sigh.

"Great. A dog. Me and dogs have always gotten along oh so well."

He leans back in his seat, momentarily pleased at this presentation of an excuse for not getting out of the car. He has mixed feelings about this visit. He has a strong sense of what should be done, and on the other hand a normal human reluctance at enduring the pain that frequently accompanies doing the right thing. "Although," he inwardly argues to himself, "this could be considered going over and above doing the right thing. This could be being noble to the point of stupidity."

Pacey turns and returns the stare of the dog, his mind suddenly made up.

"No, my friend. I will not be thwarted by a large and slobbering canine." He resolutely opens the car door and walks up the flagged stone pathway.

The Rottweiler is instantly on its feet, letting out a loud and incessant string of dog obscenities. He attempts to charge at Pacey, but the short leash tied to the stair railings brings him to an abrupt halt on the third step.

Pacey pauses uncertainly on the second step.

A voice floats out of the house. "What is it? What is it Killer?"

At this last word, Pacey arches an eyebrow and backs slowly down to the first step.
An arm pushes the swinging screen door open, and in response the dog turns its head enquiringly to its master, awaiting the command to fulfill all that his name implies.

The man fills the doorway, broad shouldered, his shirt stretched a little tightly over the beginnings of a paunch stomach.
I don't want to be the one who gets the next surprise

"Hey, how can…" his voice trails away as a light of recognition dawns in his eyes. His tone quickly changes from slightly obliging to one of barely contained outrage. "Now, what the hell are you doing here?"

Pacey smiles, forcing himself to appear relaxed and friendly.

"Well!" the house owner barks again, seconded by a threatening snarl from his canine companion.

"Look, Mr Baxter," Pacey begins. "This is just a sociable visit where I get to say something to you that is long overdue."

Mr Baxter smiles nastily. "If this has anything to do with you complaining to me about any little hassles that have come up at that rat-infested dining dump called the Icehouse, you’ve come to the wrong place. I know nothing about seating permit delays." He finishes by giving a knowing wink at Pacey and crossing his arms challengingly over his chest.

"Oh no," Pacey quickly responds. "I only need a few moments, to clear the air really. I have something to say to let you know how…"

"Hang on," Mr. Baxter interjects. "You have something you really need to say? This could be a lotta fun. In fact, you’re in luck. My lovely and loyal wife is home. I’m sure Maddie’ll enjoy this, too. Come on in."

Pacey´s resolve wavers for a moment, but as Killer has now stepped politely aside and even offered a sloppy lick on the hand as a peace offering, he follows Mr. Baxter up the stairs into the house.

"Here, take a seat, Pacey," he offers with a casual gesture to a wicker chair on the sun porch.

"Who was it, Joe?" A female voice calls from the depths of the house. Joe Baxter grins.

"A mutual friend, honey. Well, your friend really."

Maddie Baxter enters the porch, wiping her hands on a dish cloth.

"What are you talking about?" Her face loses her teasing smile and her mouth forms a silent "oh" as she looks quickly at Pacey. "Look," she starts nervously, glancing at her husband. "I can’t imagine what he’s doing here. What are you doing here, Pacey?" Her uncertainty in the situation shows as she glares challengingly at Pacey.

"Now Maddie, Pacey just has something on his chest that he wants to share. I’m ready, Mr. Witter." Joe settles back in his chair enjoying the obvious discomfort of his wife and her one time lover.

Pacey gives a wry smile.

"Yes, well this feels a little strange, but I really do want to say something to you both. I have been thinking about my life a lot lately and…"

"Hey buddy, this isn’t an episode of Dr Phil. We have got places to be this evening, so let’s speed this up." Joe Baxter stirs restlessly.

"Okay, I just want to say that it was completely wrong of me to, um, to be with Maddie for that month or so. I have felt really ashamed about it because I have always prided myself on not being that guy. Not being the guy who messes with something that has nothing to do with him. Not being the guy who makes other’s problems worse. Not being the guy who thinks only of himself. But, for a while there, I was that guy. And, well, this visit is about saying good-bye to him and just letting you know that guy isn’t who I am and I’m glad."

Pacey pauses and looks directly at Maddie and Joe Baxter who both sit quietly.

"In short, I’m very sorry. I want to say I'm sorry to you, Joe. And to you, too, Maddie." The Baxters both raise their eyebrows slightly. "Thanks for letting me say all that. I don’t need to take up anymore of your time."

(Some more lines of "Farrewell to the old me" play in the background)

And I followed a lot of vital crazy thoughts
Because it's where the meaning was
And I tried to find it every other way

Pacey gets up and, pushing the door open, heads back down the stairs. He has a big grin on his face. For the first time in his life, he hasn’t hesitated. No turning around and leaving once he was in the front door. No second thoughts or doubts.

Farewell to the old me
My life is getting better now
But always changing anyhow

Maddie and Joe Baxter turn to each other, their faces mirroring a look of incredulity. Joe slowly shakes his head, and indecipherable look on his face, deep in thought. Then he gets up and walks back down the hall into the house.

Maddie remains for a moment, looking thoughtfully at Pacey´s car driving away, then gets up and follows her husband, with a puzzled expression on her face.

Farewell to the old me
Farewell to the old me

Set of Dawson’s television show, The Creek, in Los Angeles.

Dawson is watching a rehearsal of a scene between Sammy and Colby, where Sammy and Colby are having an argument. Sammy is arguing tearfully that she needs some space to find out who she is, and Colby is saying that he will help her. It is a painful scene and we see some of the pain reflected in Dawson’s face as he leans in, concentrating on the scene. Clearly, though, the scene is reviving painful memories. When the scene is over, he just looks down for a few moments while the cast waits expectantly for his comments. He is lost in his own thoughts and we know he is conflicted about Joey, thinking about the many times she told him she wanted to be with him but then left him. Finally, one of the actors asks tentatively "Mr. Leery?" and Dawson breaks out of his reverie. "That’s fine," he tells them honestly.

Just then, Dawson feels an unexpected hand grasping his shoulder. "Why so glum, mate?" he hears over his shoulder from the voice belonging to the hand. He looks up to see Todd heartily grasping his shoulder with a big smile on his face. Dawson is surprised and pleased. "Take twenty," he calls out to the actors, and they happily wander off the set, chatting about the scene. Dawson watches them go, reflective for a moment. Then his attention turns to Todd.

"How’s my favorite executive producer?" Dawson asks Todd with a warms smile, pleased to see his friend.

"You ask?. I’ve already been in this dusty backwater hellhole of a set for two months now, how do you think I am?" Todd responds heartily, obviously joking and not really complaining about his role in the set since Dawson left for New York. "God save us from teenage angst and tender love. Blood, boobs and booze is more my idea of a right good story!"

Dawson just smiles, used to his friend’s ways. Todd grabs a chair near Dawson and sits down.

"Best job you ever had, Todd. And you don’t even have to direct." Dawson reminds him. "And a good dental plan," Dawson adds straight-faced but with a hint of a smile lurking.

"You sweet-talker you. I should never have listened to you. Silver-tongued, you are. I can’t believe you talked me into keeping an eye on things while you are gone," Todd pretends to complain. Dawson just smiles. Todd smiles back, pleasure written on his face. "It’s good to see you on the set again, mate."

"Believe or not, it’s actually good to be here. Not that I don’t love working in New York, but this set has been my home away from home for a long time, despite how much I may have complained about it…"

"Well, I wouldn’t get too broken up about it, mate. With the number of problems coming up on almost a daily basis since you’ve been gone, you could easily find it your second home again."

"God, I hope not. I can’t devote much time to it at all."

"Ah yes, the new assistant director and sometimes-writer for Spielberg’s first foray into the medium of the masses, otherwise known as the boob-tube."

"I prefer to call it television," Dawson comments dryly. "And I will be only one of many assistant directors." He pauses.
"Besides, this is a really good show," he declares enthusiastically. "Who would have ever thought that Spielberg would decide to create some of his magic on television? I think the show is going to be a huge hit! It can’t miss!"

"I hope you’re right, kid."

"I know I’m right." Dawson asserts with certainty.

"That’s what I like to see. Optimism! " Todd eyes the set. "I wish I were so optimistic about this bloomin’ disaster."

"It’ll be fine," Dawson assures him calmly. "I just needed to get everyone on the same page."

"Who knew that writers could be such a pain in the bum, ey mate? Half of them want Colby and Sammy together always no matter what, and the other half don’t care if they give each other the time of day. The writers are bloody daft, mate!"

Dawson smiles a little. "Welcome to my world and all that is in it."

"Hey, very funny," Todd says with a little grimace.

"It’ll be fine," Dawson assures him again. "And if I have to come back occasionally to beat a little sense into the ‘bloody writers’, I’ll do it. I’m not letting this show go by the wayside. It still means a lot to me. Although I have to admit, working with Spielberg on such a great project has been more than exciting…it’s been…."

"Cataclysmic?"

"I was going more for phenomenal, amazing…but since we’re talking Spielberg, cataclysmic just about describes it." He pauses. "But being right there with Spielberg to help put this project together, being his right hand man, his advisor …I must admit it is a bit mind-blowing." Dawson grins broadly and his eyes sparkle. "Who would have ever thought that Spielberg would ever ask me to help him do something so…fantastic? " He pauses in a moment, a look of bemused wonderment on his face, and for a moment we see a glimpse of Dawson at fifteen.

"Thank goodness Joey talked me into taking the job. Without her encouragement, I’m not sure I would have gone for it." He pauses again. "She reminded me that not all 25 year olds are lucky enough to get the opportunity to have their childhood dream come true."

"Score one for Joey," Todd smiles.

Dawson smiles. "Yeah, score one for Joey," he repeats a little softly.

Gale’s living room.

After saying good bye to Bessie and hanging up the phone, Joey tosses a strand of rich, dark hair over a shoulder and draws her legs up under her, feeling a little of the chill creeping into the morning air. The large sheets of the Capeside Chronicle are spread out on her lap and every now and then a half smile creeps over her face as an item captures her attention and confirms her still sometimes cynical view of the small town concept of news.

She is relaxed here. Here in the comfortable depths of the cream-colored linen arm chair. Here in the warm and inviting living room. Here surrounded by photos of a smiling family and their friends. It is a room in which she has felt welcomed since she was 5 years old. The side table next to the chair holds two pewter framed photos that convey Joey Potter’s connection with her surroundings. One is of a smiling Alexander with ten month old Lily perched precariously on his chubby lap; the other, a candid snap shot of a six year old Joey poking her tongue out at a serious looking Dawson, two small school back-packs at their feet. The Potter's have always felt at home with the Leery´s.

Joey looks up from the paper at the sound of footsteps to see Gale entering the room. She smiles at the woman.

"Are you sure about this?" Gale asks.

Joey’s eyebrows lift in surprise. "Sure about what?"

"Looking after Lily now. I’m sure a beautiful young woman has better places to spend her day."

Joey laughs, stretching out her arms as she folds up the paper.

"I can think of nowhere else I’d rather be. Lily keeps me young."

Gale rolls her eyes. "Spoken with the true naiveté of youth. Sweetie, you don’t need anything to keep you young at your age."
Taking a quick glance at her watch, Gale walks towards the door. "Well, if everything is fine, I’d better go. I have so many things to buy and then I gotta go to the restaurant and all…" she kinda explains to herself as she exits the place.

"Have a great day," Joey calls after her.

"We sure will. Won’t we, Joey?" Lily enters the living room from the kitchen, a large bowl of freshly-popped popcorn held in her arms.

"I can see where you’ve been hiding," Joey gives Lily with an amused grin.

"I wanted to wait till I had your undivided attention so I can explain the plan."

Joey arches an eyebrow and struggles to maintain a straight face. "So what is the plan?"

"Popcorn and," Lily picks up a DVD lying face down on the coffee table, "movies. I’ve wanted to have our very own movie night just like you and Dawson used to, but I guess morning can work, too." She smiles brightly at Joey.

"I should have guessed," Joey laughs shaking her head."So," she queries, "what’s the movie?"

"Sweet Home Alabama," Lily holds up the DVD case briefly as she inserts the disc into the machine.

"Now, wait a minute," Joey gives a mock frown. "I know this movie goes back a few years, but wasn’t it completely and utterly sappy?"

"Sappy?!" Lily squeals. "I prefer to call it a classic example of the genre, romantic comedy."

Joey laughs at the resemblances with Dawson, even at such a young age "Okay, if you say so."

"And after that, we have another one that you may know, since it is old," Lily comments naturally to Joey shocking surprise.

"Oh. Yeah. Sure. If it’s old, then I’m sure I know it," she tries to hide her laughter.

"When Harry met Sally," Lily holds up a DVD case for Joey to see.

"When Harry met Sally? Isn’t that a little…?" she asks concerned, but Lily doesn’t allow her to finish the phrase.

"Yeah, I know. I’m mature for my age," she replies, shrugging her shoulders. Joey laughs once more.

"Okay, you sold me. Let’s watch them."

Lily grins broadly. "Oh, and a little known fact. Did you know there’s a scene in "Sweet Home Alabama" that was filmed on the main floor at Tiffany's in New York, where only two other movies, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "When Harry Met Sally", have ever been allowed to film?"

Joey reaches across and throws a cushion at Lily’s head. "Stop it. Stop. You are sounding just like your brother."

Amid giggles, Lily presses the play button before throwing popcorn at Joey. Joey laughs, rolling her eyes a little and settles further back into the cushions.

They watch the movies, for the most part, with little discussion. The only interruptions are the bowl of popcorn passed back and forth and an occasional giggle or sigh, depending on the comedic or romantic quality of the scene. As the credits of the last one start rolling on the screen, Lily presses the stop button on the remote and sits back on the sofa with a faint furrow on her brow. Almost with the same expression on her face, Joey is sitting by her side.

"So I was just thinking..." Lily's voice trails away.

"Yeah, me too," Joey replies, some of the scenes of the movies re-playing in her head. "You first. What were you thinking about?" Joey prompts.

"About what soulmates are. Dawson explained it to me once and I've been watching movies like these to try and figure it out some more."

"And how is this field of research progressing?" Joey asks, her interest roused at the mention of Dawson.

"Well, I'm still confused. Soulmates seem to mean lots of different things and I really want to figure it out because I don't like being confused." Lily pouts a little. Joey smiles in understanding.

"I don't like being confused, either. So I'll tell you what I think soulmates are, and maybe that will clear things up a little."

"Okay," Lily eyes Joey expectantly.

"Well, for some people there is a special connection, a bond between them. You know, like we were talking about soulmates. Two people, who know each other really well, better than anyone else knows them. They’re there for you, they go with you wherever you go, and they help you go through life and love you always. Because of this connection, no matter what happens in life or how you think you’ve changed, if you’ve ever had this kind of bond, it ’s just not gonna be broken. That other person will never be really gone and while you’ve got each other, you can’t be alone. And for two people who are this connected, it's got to be more than friendship. It's real...love, and pure…magic." Joey’s heart flutters at her own words and, without meaning to, her eyes stray to the childhood photo of her and Dawson.

Lily follows the direction of Joey's gaze. "Are you and Dawson soulmates?"

The direct question catches Joey off guard.

"Well, yes. Yes, we are." She adds a little more confidently.

"So," Lily states with beaming smile, "you're his girlfriend."

"Um, no. Not girlfriend as in 'boyfriend-girlfriend', but I am his friend and I am a girl so I guess... well, no, we're more than friends really, so I guess I'm more than a girlfriend but not a..." Joey stops seeing her own confusion mirrored in Lily's face.

"Lily, no I'm not his girlfriend, but I really should be." She makes no attempt to hide the hopefulness in her eyes and the wistful tone of her voice.
Chapter 2 by Deb
Jack’s kitchen, Capeside.

Grams and Andie are in the kitchen, dealing with the breakfast dishes, when Jack enters, bouncing Amy in his arms.

"Oh, look at Grams. Say 'hi' to Grams," he says, catching Amy’s little hand on his and making her wave.

"Hi there, beauty!" Andie smiles at the baby as she wipes her hands. Grams just smiles at her and waves back. Amy giggles and Jack sits down.

The scene is a quiet and warm one. Jack is sitting with Amy at the table, and soon Andie joins them. The two of them play and laugh along with Amy, amazed at the little things she does as if she was the smartest kid on Earth. There is a moment, though, where Jack kisses the top of Jen´s daughter's head and then rests his cheek on it. A loud sigh escape his mouth that catches Andie and Gram’s attention, sharing a glance.

"Jack?" Grams asks tentatively. By now she knows the boy well enough to know that something’s wrong.

Jack ruffles Amy’s hair as she leans on him while sucking on a piece of bread, totally entertained by it.

"Grams, could you please come here and sit down?" Jack asks, still looking at Amy and playing with her hair.

Grams sits down and one more glance is exchanged between her and Andie before Jack starts to speak.

"I knew about this more than a week ago, but I wanted to wait till we were done with Christmas and all that stuff." He pauses, as if to collect his thoughts. It seems like this is a speech he has been thinking about. "I got a call on December 20th. It was from the social assistant. They wanted to inform me that in light of the recent events, it had been decided to take Amy away from me for a period of time. An undefined period of time, until it would be resolved wether or not I was the one right to take care of her. According to them, she had been exposed to a situation that could have had very serious consequences and despite having Jen´s will by my side, a decision needed to be made regarding the whole thing. So Amy will be leaving us after New Year's".

Silence fell upon the three adults in the kitchen as Amy handed Andie her drooled-on bread and talked to her in her usual baby rambling. Andie accepted it with a sad smile and then looked back at Jack. He still hadn’t made any eye contact with her or Grams for that matter.

"Jack…" Andie started, tentatively.

"I had thought about not telling you until New Year’s had passed, just like Christmas. But then I realized that you had the right to know, too. So you could enjoy what could be the last days of Amy with us to their full potential, just like I am doing." Amy turned up to look at him and reached her arms out, her way of asking him to put her on her feet over his knees. And so he did.

"That’s why you broke up with Doug and everything?" Andie asked, things starting to make sense to her now: Jack’s grumpy mood at times, the tension between him and Doug, the constant worry on his face that he wouldn’t want to talk about, not even with her.

For an answer, she only gets another sigh.

"I’m so sorry, Jack." Both, Jack and Andie turn to Grams to realize that she seems to be on the verge of tears.

"This is all my fault," she complains, burying her face in her hands.

"What are you talking about Grams?. This is so not…"

"Yes it is. I left the darn window open!" she explodes, and both Jack and Andie are surprised to hear her speaking like that. Cursing, no less. "I should have been more careful. But I’m getting old, and useless, and I get distracted and I didn’t realize that it was getting cold and windy outside."

Jack is about to say something, but Andie just places a hand over his, nodding her head no.

"I’m growing old. I’m not like I used to be. I am not capable of doing this again. I will only disappoint you and my beloved Jen and I won’t be able to give this angel here everything she deserves because my time has passed. I’m just an old, useless woman."

With that, she gets up the table and leaves, leaving behind an astonished Jack.

"What just happened?" he asks, and Andie squeezes his hand, releasing it after that.

"It’s very common, believe me. It happens to a lot of old people. It’s the conscience of growing old, of time passing by faster each day. It’s scary, and they start to feel as if they have nothing else to give. Some of them close themselves off from the outside word, convinced that there is nothing left out there for them to do or give, until death comes to get them."

Jack is looking at his sister terrified. "You mean that Grams is just waiting to die?"

"No. I’m saying that she is blaming herself for everything that has happened with Amy, and that is not a good thing," Andie says, understanding in her eyes. Jack closes his eyes and sighs.

"Hold Amy. I’ll be right back."

He hands the baby to Andie, who sits her on the table in front of her. Amy reaches to grab some of her locks of hair as Jack walks out of the kitchen with firm steps.

Back at "The Creek" set, Los Angeles.

Todd and Dawson are standing around a small table with coffee urns, sodas and snacks on it, in the back of the set. It is not lavish but certainly adequate. Dawson helps himself to a refill of coffee and a granola cookie. Todd is dipping a tea bag in a mug of steaming water, frowning.

"Blast, I thought we had ‘people’ to do this for us. After all, isn’t this the number one rated television show in the all-mighty target demographic? " he asks somewhat belligerently. He is clearly irritated. "Am I right or not? "

"It’s only a rehearsal," Dawson reminds him calmly. "An unscheduled, unbudgeted, extra rehearsal at that."

"Yeah…one we wouldn’t need if the powers-that-be could figure out their mouths from their asses…present company excluded." Todd grouses. Dawson gives him a sympathetic and amused glance.

"Life is harsh."

Todd’s face relaxes into a grudging smile. "You should have made me bloody dictator over this side-show," he says with some of his good humor restored. " ‘Executive producer’ may have the ring of authority to it….but tell that to the hoards of writers, not to mention censors and the other producers. " Todd’s lips quirk in a smile. "Somehow, I get the impression they aren’t too impressed with titles….or maybe it’s just me they aren’t impressed with."

"You’re the best thing that happened to this show….well, next to me," Dawson states matter of factly. "And at least I know someone is here to make sure that Sammy doesn’t turn into a stripper and Colby doesn’t run off to join a rock band."

Todd’s eyes light up. "Now that would be a ratings grabber of a show!"

"Don’t even think about it," Dawson jokingly cautions him.

The two smile at each other.

They wander back to their chairs, still talking, relaxed and at ease with each other. There is a moment of companionable silence as they stand near their chairs sipping their coffee and tea, enjoying each other’s friendship. Todd looks around the set.

"You know I’m proud of you, kid," he says sincerely. He clearly is talking about the Creek show as well as the Spielberg project.

"Thanks."

"I knew it from the moment I first saw you on my set that you were destined for greatness."

"Todd, you fired me," Dawson jokingly reminds him as he stares at him.

"Well, who said the road to greatness doesn’t have a few potholes? Besides, I think I more than made up for it. Saved your lily white ass, as I recall. A little snafu concerning your demo project with 'The Creek'. A little problem with money… equipment… manpower… talent…"

"Okay, okay. You’re forgiven for firing me. "

"That’s the spirit. Made you a better man, that’s all. A little adversity puts a little hair on the chest." Todd trails off, thinking about something else while Dawson shakes his head amused at his comment. "You didn’t mention anything to me about your plans of coming back to LA in my phone call to you the other morning....for how long, to do exactly what…" he accuses Dawson good naturedly. "I need to know these things, Leery, now that I’m almost standing in your shoes, a Leery clone as it were…… in the loop!" He eyes Dawson speculatively. "Could it be that you were with some woman….catching up on ‘old times’?" Todd asks suggestively, wriggling his eyebrows.

"About that phone call…." Dawson begins with a note of exasperation in his voice.

"Oh, yeah that. If I’d known you were with a woman…" Todd begins in an apologetic tone.

" You wouldn’t have called?" Dawson finishes hopefully.

"Nah," Todd laughs. "I would have called. I just would’ve made sure to stay on the phone longer to make it really painful for you. I do so like to make my phone calls memorable." Todd smiles brilliantly at Dawson, clearly enjoying himself.

Dawson groans, but he is smiling. Todd is incorrigible.

"So who’s the lucky shiela? Anyone I know?" Todd asks brightly.

"As a matter of fact…" Dawson seems on the verge of continuing, but he hesitates.

"Oh really, I do know her?" Todd asks surprised "Who? Your fling from last summer? Your assistant, what’s her name? Don’t tell me it's Judith, the wombat from two years ago." A look of distaste crosses Todd’s face.

"She’s not a wombat, and no, not any of those lovely ladies. As a matter of fact….it’s….Joey…if you must know," he tells Todd a little hesitant, unsure about telling his friend. "And we weren’t ‘catching up on old times’… in the way you meant it." Dawson hastens to add. He pauses, and emotions flit across his face . Almost reluctantly, he mumbles "….at least, not…yet."

Todd is clearly surprised and doesn’t say anything for a moment. Dawson is a little nervous and starts talking to lighten the mood.

"Do you have radar or something? I don’t sleep with Joey in six years, and almost the same day that I do, your ugly mug is hanging around," Dawson says with an attempt at humor, but he sounds a little testy and unsettled. Todd takes a good look at him and sees that all is not well.

"Oh ho, so that is what this is all about. The gloom and doom I caught you in. The uber-woman. The dream, the fantasy…the curse, some would say. The fairer sex. I thought that was all laid to rest long ago, in a matter of speaking."

"Apparently not."

"So what happened?"

"I’m not sure. And I don´t want to talk about it."

"Oh, come on, Leery, Who else are you going to talk to in this God forsaken wasteland they call L.A.? Give it to me straight. At least you know I’ll give it back to you straight. Which is more than I can say for most of the bloody people in this town…or anywhere else, for that matter."

"What happened is what always happens when we’re together. We're friends…again….we have fun…again…we talk, we argue a little, things are going great….and then…and then…."

"You hit the sheets?"

"Well, not exactly…"

"Well either you slept with her or you didn’t, Leery. Which is it?"

A small smile flits across Dawson’s face. "Yeah, we slept together." Then his face hardens. "But it was a mistake. Probably a mistake," he amends, his face softening a little.

"How do you figure that, buckaroo? Seems like you two have a date with destiny and all that."

The two men sit down and settle into their chairs…ready to get a little more serious. Dawson stares off into space a moment, subdued.. At first, it seems like he isn’t going to speak, but after some hesitation, he abruptly begins talking, edgy.

"Well, first she was with this guy, Chris. Apparently he was about to ask her to marry him or something. She dumped him and then she was with Pacey, the supposed love of her life, and how long did that last? Three months?" Dawson has an edge of scorn in his voice and expression. "Whose to say that I don’t last about the same amount of time and after that new try we have definitely ruined everything?" he continues with some bitterness.

"Oh, bugger that. She’s a woman!" Todd exclaims enthusiastically. "She’s entitled to change her mind. So this Pasty guy…"

"Pacey."

"Whatever...isn’t the right man for her. Well, good for her. Now she knows. Doesn’t mean she isn’t on the right track now. Give the girl a chance, I say. It’s been five years. People do change, Leery. They grow up…come to their senses…"

Dawson glances at Todd, bemused.

"I thought you of all people would be telling me to run the other way."

"Just because I’m not one to be roped to a bird doesn’t mean you aren’t, Leery."

"But with us, it’s always so damn…difficult."

"Not always, mate. Look, even you said how great things have been going."

"Yes. As friends. What whenever we’ve tried to be more that that… It’s…. complicated."

"Rubbish!.What kind of excuse is that? Popping some bird you just meet, sharin’ a few laughs…that’s easy. So maybe this girl is the girl for you and maybe things aren’t always easy… now call me stupid, but I thought that’s what a relationship, a real tax-paying committed relationship was all about… the bad along with the good."

They both are silent for a moment, absorbing Todd’s unexpected words of wisdom.

"I think when you say complicated, Dawson, that you’re just saying the same thing as deep…involved…potentially mind-blowing. The kind of thing I run away from the second I see it. Well…maybe not the mind-blowing part but that would be in a whole other context." He pauses, enjoying the memory of some mind-blowing sexual experience. Dawson rolls his eyes, used by now to these kind of comments. Then Todd gets serious again and directs his attention back to Dawson. "You don’t want to be me, kid, now do ya? Old, shallow and cynical?"

"I think I’m a long way from being you, Todd. For one thing, I don’t think it's the height of fun to drink beer out of a woman’s shoe at four in the morning."

"You’ve got a point there. Look, I’m not going to give you some sappy go-with-your-heart- speech or whatnot, but I gotta say this...you’ve got good instincts…a feel for things. You wouldn’t have made it this far if you didn’t. And you’ve had a "thing" for this girl for a long time, one way or another. Now you tell me she has a "thing" for you. That’s a lot of "things" flying around, mate. Something’s bound to happen. Especially when you count in the "best friends since childhood part." Todd pauses. He looks a little suspiciously at Dawson. "She does have a "thing" for you, mate, doesn’t she?"

Dawson is silent a moment, and a little look of amusement or pleasure crosses his face. He is thinking about ten years ago when a 15 year old Joey Potter had a secret "thang" for him.

"Yeah, she does," he says softly.

Todd looks pleased at Dawson’s response. Todd continues enthusiastically voicing his opinions.

"The good times are always easy. The way I see it, there’s always gonna be the good times. But there’s always gonna be the crap too, Leery. That’s just the way it is. The pie-in-the sky, stars in your eyes stuff is the easy part, at least for someone not romantically challenged such as myself. Deal with a woman with PMS at four in the morning, I say!. That’s the true test of love, my friend. A test, by the way, I have-and to my utmost relief- miserably failed…and one which, I might add, I pray I will never be subject to again." Todd shakes himself to rid himself of the horror of that memory. Then he gets back to Dawson. "So the question is, who do you want to share the crap with? If it’s this Joey, then you should give it a go-round with her. Tell her!" Todd then lowers his voice a bit confidentially. "Only, I’m not sure I’d use those exact words…the ‘share the crap’ part. Maybe something a little less…."

"Scatological?" Dawson interjects, raising his brows at him.

"Right-o" Todd says cheerfully. "Now you’ve got it. You’re good at the flowery stuff, Dawson. I have faith in you."

"That’s an awful lot of advice coming from someone who’s never had a sustainable relationship for more than two weeks, Mr. Zippy Pants."

"Mr. Zippy Pants? "

"Yeah, some of the grips call you that. Zippy, for short."

"Oh, yeah? Who? Tell me their names and I’ll fire them on the spot."

"Not a chance."

"Yeah, well, I guess that isn’t so far off the mark. But continuing with the present conversation dealing with the entire future and future happiness of my ex-protégé, I can only tell you this. Sometimes people on the outside have a clearer look into the inside than the people who are standing inside. I don’t gotta be standing inside the room to know that you two have something special, even I could see that. And maybe it’ll last and maybe it won’t, but how can you not give it a go? It’s been five years since the last go-round. You might be surprised. But hey, don’t listen to me. What do I know? Just do your own thing. Forget about her, and be solo maybe for the rest of your life, living a miserable lonely existence, filled with regrets and endless periods of unabated angst. Become a dark and tortured director, haunted by his past," Todd says only half-joking.

Dawson just looks at him, pensive.

Jack’s porch, Capeside.

("Everybody hurts", by R.E.M starts playing in the background)

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
when you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on.
Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes.

Jack finds Grams just where he knew she would be. She always loved to sit there, wether it was in her old house, or in Boston … and now back in Capeside. She is staring off into space. Jack sits by her side silently and for a moment, the two of them stay there, just looking to the creek.

Then Jack turns his head to her, his eyes tearing up.
Sometimes everything is wrong.
Now it's time to sing along.

"I love you, Grams. It so was not your fault."

Such a simple statement makes Grams start to cry silently. Jack just keep talking, reaching for one of her old hands.

When your day is night alone,
(hold on, hold on) if you feel like letting go,
(hold on)when you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on.

"I should have put warmer pajamas on her. I should have checked the window before I left. I could have called you to do so while I was in school, and the list go on and on. It happened, and it wasn't anyone’s fault."

Grams looks at him and squeezes his hand.

Everybody hurts.
Take comfort in your friends.
Everybody hurts.
Don't throw your hand.
Oh, no.
Don't throw your hand.

"If you ever thought for a moment that I was blaming you for it, if I ever gave you that impression…"

"Oh no, no. You never did," she interrupts, wiping her tears, but Jack keeps going on.

"… I’m sorry. I’ve just been worried. Since I found out they were taking Amy away, I’ve hardly had any sleep. I have made some decisions, and taken some resolutions, and… and I haven’t been in the best of the moods, I guess. But just seeing you each day has made me feel better,"

"Oh," Grams exclaims faintly and she puts her arm around Jack, who now leans without shame in the shoulder of this woman, who has given him so many things in his life.

If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone
If you're on your own in this life,
The days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on.
Well, everybody hurts sometimes, everybody cries.

"Every morning when I enter the kitchen and you’re there pouring some coffee, knowing I would have to go in a rush. Or every evening when I come back home. You gave me something I hadn’t had in years. Since the moment my brother died, my family crumbled down and fell to pieces. Not even Andie could resist it. But I found you and Jen. And now Jen is gone...but I still have you. And I can say without a doubt that you are, along Andie and Amy, the most important person in my life." He states, holding back his tears and smiling at Grams. "You are my family. And don’t you ever think you’re not important in this house, or that I could make it without you. Amy and I would have been a disaster!" and they both laugh.

Grams pats his hand softly.

"Don’t be silly, Jackers. You would have done it just as well. You will, one day, when I’m not here."

They smile at each other.

"You’re such a great young man, Jack. And you’ll make a great father. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise."

And everybody hurts sometimes.
And everybody hurts sometimes.
So, hold on, hold on.

"We’ll get her back." Grams simply states. "That’s what my Jen wanted, and that’s what will happen."

Jack kisses her cheek as a silent thank you. We see Andie contemplating the scene from the inside of the house, a sleeping Amy in her arms, rocking her gently, a smile on her face. She lowers her head to kiss the baby and walks away.

Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on.
(Everybody hurts. You are not alone.)

We see Jack and Grams still sitting outside, just enjoying each other’s company and being there for a while.
Chapter 3 by Deb
The set of "The Creek" at Los Angeles.

We see Dawson and Todd overseeing some more rehearsals. Dawson seems to be deep in thought and Todd is just watching the activity happening right in front of him, his arms crossed over his chest.

"It just isn’t that simple…I wish that it were." Dawson’s unexpected words make Todd turn around and look at him funny. "But that is one thing about Joey and me. We have never been… simple."

"I knew it. Still thinking about her, huh?" Todd kinda mocks him.

It looks as if Dawson is not going to say anything else about it, but then he begins to speak as if he can’t really help himself, rapidly and with some distress, as if his doubts have been bottled up inside him waiting to come out.

"I just can’t go through it again. I just can’t. How many times has Joey said she wanted me or wanted to be with me in the past…and then left me. Even if her reasons were good, or even if it was the right thing for her to do at the time….how many times should I have to go through that? I just can’t do it again. It's just been too long." Dawson is clearly becoming upset. He takes a moment to calm down and thinks for a minute. "She means too much to me. I just don’t think I can." He says more calmly.

"Why the hell not?" Todd exclaims bracingly. "I know you never have a problem finding a date, and you’ve had a full social calendar with the ladies since you moved here, even though the greater part of those flings went nowhere. But once again, is that what you want for the rest of your life?" Dawson doesn’t reply. "Listen, Leery. You’ve been writing about this girl for years. Hell, this whole Creek show you have here is practically a friggin scripted paean to her. So love hurts. That’s the stinking part of it….at least that’s what I hear. But tell me you don’t think of her. Go on, tell me!" Todd commands him almost as if he is angry. "Isn’t this show just the chance at a ‘do-over’, to make everything turn out the way that you want it to in the end?" he challenges Dawson.

"Of course I think of her," Dawson replies almost defensively. "And when I’m not thinking about her….well, she’s here with me anyway," he continues more softly. " She’s like a part of me and I feel her with me even if she isn’t here, or even if I haven’t spoken to her for years, or even when I haven’t been thinking about her. Even when I purposefully put her out of my mind, it doesn’t make any difference. She’s just…there."

"Well, that should tell you something," Todd remarks reasonably.

"I’ve gone on with my life," Dawson explains in a rational tone. "I have lived my life these last five years basically without her being in my life…and I’ve done just fine," he states almost proudly. "Things are so much…calmer….rational….lacking angst. I like it that way," he declares with perhaps false bravado. But then his face shadows and he looks a little sad.
"I’ve really tried to let her go and let her…let us…be happy, even if it means being apart. Things just seem to go so…wrong…when we try to get together in any way other than friendship. And it got to the point that we couldn’t really just be friends anymore. Not that we had to sleep together, but just that there was always this …undercurrent….or maybe our past…that kept coming up. I thought that day six years ago was finally our time to be together and get it right…but I was wrong. Then five years passed almost in a minute, and then I found myself seeing her after a long while at my mom’s wedding, and it was still there. At least for me. That strange dual relationship. On the one hand, friends for life whether we see each other or not…but also something there that to me is not just friendship." Dawson is lost in thought, almost speaking to himself. Then he comes back to the present and looks directly at Todd, who has uncharacteristically remained silent while Dawson has been speaking.

"I thought maybe there was a small chance for us…a spark that had not gone out," Dawson continues, "…but she chose Pacey. Wasn’t interested in me at all…that way. Decided that she’d been running away from Pacey all these years….and yeah, it hurt a little. I had always thought…or maybe hoped…deep down inside…that it was me that she was avoiding. But she was just so sure it was Pacey, and I guess he gave her something their a relationship… some kind of excitement or crazy quality that I don’t," he shrugs his shoulders. "Maybe he was just a "bad boy" phase…I don’t know. But then they last three months - and apparently there is no hope of a reconciliation - and then I end up coming to New York, and Joey and I hang out…and the next thing you know, we are back to being Dawson and Joey again, almost as if all this time has not passed. Only better….in many ways, because we're no longer children…or even teenagers. And we put the emotional trauma behind us so we really could start anew."

Dawson pauses a moment in this serious assessment of his thoughts and feelings for Joey. Todd just listens patiently. He knows that it is important for Dawson to talk about this, and for now he just needs to listen.

"But being with her and seeing her these past months has just revived my feelings and thoughts and memories about her…and for her." Dawson continues. He pauses. "Feelings and thoughts and memories I have been trying so hard to forget…or at least…put out of my mind to just go on with my life. What can I say?" Dawson pauses again. When Todd doesn’t say anything, he continues, almost as if rationalizing his behavior with Joey. "We just have so much history together, and as much of it was awful and painful and a teenager’s nightmare…a lot of it was…wonderful. It is hard not to think about it."

Dawson stops talking and looks a little discomfited about talking so long about such a personal subject to Todd. Not being one to be sentimental, Todd takes it in stride.

"Well, maybe it's time you started putting more time into thinking about her instead of not thinking about her." Todd suggests reasonably, clapping Dawson on the back, surprising them both that he has managed to offer mature sound advice. Dawson kind of looks at Todd with a surprised and amused expression, but he is appreciative, too. Todd just smiles back and looks pleased with himself.

Then Dawson looks away, troubled and pensive. "I know and trust my feelings for her. I just don’t trust her feelings for me in a romantic sense," he admits quietly.

"Listen...life is short, Leery," Todd reasons practically. "You can’t spend it sitting on the bloomin’ fence. Sometimes you just have to go for it…..otherwise you could be left with just a whole big smelly pile of sh….. ‘what if's', " Todd corrects himself hastily, seeing Dawson’s pained expression.

"That’s a nice image," Dawson comments, amused.

"Well, that’s what I’ve got writers for. I’m a director, not a writer," Todd says, heartily and amused, too.

The two friends just sit in comfortable silence reflecting on their conversation and the state of their lives.

"It just seems to me.." Todd starts talking again, without preamble and out of the blue, "that if you didn’t still want this bird, deep down inside, that you wouldn’t still be sitting here agonizing or brooding, or whatever the hell it is you’re doing, over it." He pauses. "Even if Sammy and Colby don’t end up together on this show of yours, you can’t tell me it doesn’t give you a little thrill knowing that they can. It doesn’t take a friggin’ Ph.D to figure this out, Dawson Leery. For supposedly being the insightful one…," Todd trails off, leaving his sentence unfinished. Todd looks around the set. "I know this show is your big break, but sometimes I don’t wonder if it isn’t just some secret catharsis for you…being as you are the emotional, sentimental type…as much as you may try to hide it," Todd looks at Dawson to see how he will react.

Dawson sighs. "I don’t see myself that way. Not anymore," he says, a little sadly.

Todd acts shocked. "Oh no, say it isn’t so. Not Dawson Leary, just another cynical direct or beaten down by life and robbed of his innocence by Hollywood!"

Dawson smiles slightly at this obviously inaccurate description of himself.

Todd casts him a glance out of the corner of his eye. "Maybe you should, mate. The world could always use the sensitive types. There are more than enough cynics to go around," he says almost softly, and Dawson is surprised again by this unexpected show of sensitivity in his normally bombastic mentor.

Dawson gives Todd a broad smile. "So when did you start getting so touchy-feely? The next thing you know, we’ll be hugging in some male bonding," he teases.

Todd looks slightly offended.

"Look, mate, it’s the girl I’m thinking about here, not you. I’m just looking out for her. The way I see it, she was the one so happy with your company six years ago. Well, you were happy, too. But let’s face it, you just got laid by the girl of your dreams, so that doesn’t really count. Any bloke would be walking around with a huge dopey grin on his face. But the girl… that’s a different matter altogether."

"I did not walk around with a dopey grin on my face. My grins are never dopey," Dawson retorts partly indignant and partly amused.

"You did and it was, Leery. I may just be a horny old bastard, but even I know when two people are in love. And you two, my friend, were definitely in love." He pauses. "Even if it was just for one day, Leery. But you had it. Even if it was just for that day."

Dawson glances at Todd again and Todd catches the glance, realizing he is once again nearing the edge of ‘touchy-feely’. Todd clears his voice and sits up straighter in his chair and reverts back to his usual outspoken and occasionally crude ways. His voice lowers manfully.

"So tell me about how this seemingly innocent friendship managed to make its way to an encounter full of steamy sex. And please tell me it was steamy and sexy, Leery. Hate to think all this agony was over a ‘quickie’," he says, making air quotations. "So tell me. And don’t spare the lurid details. I can ‘andle it," Todd says, assuming a look of innocent curiosity.

Dawson just smiles. "Not a chance, Carr."

"You say that a lot," Todd frowns. Then he perks up, ever enthusiastic and persistent. "Spill it! I need details, Leery, if I’m to help you. So what’d she do? Just pop into bed with you and cheek your monkey? Or was this after some prolonged courtship that you just conveniently failed to tell me about?" Todd presses for more information but he sees no more is forthcoming. Dawson ignores Todd’s last questions, but calmly begins to answer the earlier question.

"We’ve been spending a lot of time together since I moved to New York, like I told you, and it’s been…good." He pauses, reflective. "Too good, perhaps. Next thing you know, we’re back to where we started from." Dawson carefully explains, not delving into any of the "lurid" details.

"Correct me if I’m wrong, Leery, but isn’t that a good thing?" asks Todd, openly.

Dawson looks a little surprised or startled by the question. He doesn’t say anything, but clearly he is considering the question seriously, as if he had not considered the question before. He looks over at Todd, but doesn’t answer him.

Potter’s kitchen, Capeside

The scene opens with Pacey and Mike sitting at the kitchen table at the Potter B&B. They have just come back from the Ice House, where Mike has been given the last instructions. Bessie is also there, putting groceries away and tidying up. Pacey and Mike are going over the delivery schedules for the Ice House and the order forms that Pacey uses. We then hear the front door slam shut.

"I’m home," Joey calls out in a singsong voice. "Anyone here?"

"We’re in the kitchen," Bessie calls out as Joey takes her coat off and hangs it up. Then she walks into the kitchen, curious, and sees her father and Pacey. She looks surprised to see Pacey there.

"Hey," she says to Pacey, her face a little uncertain.

"Hey," he answers back, smiling at her cautiously when he realizes the furrow in her face. Typical upset Joey. Oh yes, he knows that expression too well.

Joey’s face then takes on a purposeful look and she looks over at Bessie.

"Can I help?" she brightly asks her sister.

"Sure."

Joey moves to the counter, turns her back and starts putting away the bread and cookies. She glances over her shoulder at Pacey one or twice and Bessie notices.

"Uh, why don’t you men take a break?" she suggests to Mike and Pacey, glancing at Joey while she says this. "Dad, why don’t I show you the …thing…I wanted to show you?" she says, trying to signal Mike to leave the room with her. Mike looks puzzled.

"What thing?" he asks, confused.

"The thing. You know, the thing I wanted to show you," Bessie says emphatically, jerking her head toward the door in small jerks, giving her Dad the big-eyed "come now you idiot" look. Mike catches on.

"Oh, right...the thing," he says with exaggeration.

He gets up and Bessie and Mike leave the kitchen, leaving Pacey and Joey alone.

Pacey looks up, seeing Bessie and Mike gone, and Joey at the counter, her back turned to him as she finishes placing some of the groceries on the shelves.

"I’m going back to New Orleans tonight," he tells her, trying to start some conversation.

"That’s good," she says, distracted.

"Yeah, I kinda miss the place. It’s a nice restaurant."

"I bet it is," Joey replies, still immersed in her own things. Pacey sighs.

"Well, I guess you’re just not in the mood for some nice conversation, so I better leave," he says, starting to stand up from the table. Joey turns around quickly.

"Sorry, Pace….I guess my mind is on other things," she apologizes nicely.

"Other things…or other…people?" Pacey starts to probe.

Joey sighs. This is exactly the kind of conversation she didn’t want to have with him. Not just yet, at least.

"What’s going on, Jo?" he inquires, sitting down again.

"Nothing, Pacey…I just have some things on my mind, that’s all. A new work assignment, getting back to New York in the snow…you know…just stuff."

Pacey looks a little exasperated with her reply.

"Come on, Joey. We’re friends, aren’t we? Even after everything, you gotta say we’re still friends. Maybe friends who know each other a little better than most friends do, but still friends." He encourages her patiently and with good humor.

He pauses, waiting for a reply. He gets none. Instead, Joey just sits at the table and look down at her hands, her face serious.
Pacey looks straight to her, though, when he speaks.

"It doesn’t matter anyway, Joey. I know what this is about."

Joey raises her head and her eyes are wide with surprise and consternation.

Pacey gives a short burst of a dry laugh. "Don’t look at me that way. Come on. What it always is about…one way or another. What it always comes back to being about."

"Dawson," she says, so softly that Pacey can’t almost hear her.

"Dawson, of course. You. You and Dawson. Together. Or not together. Whichever…it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference." There’s a pause where Pacey waits patiently for Joey to say something but she doesn’t, so he takes the first step. "I saw you at the dinner, Jo." he says softly. "I saw the way you looked at him during the entire dinner, the way he looked at you. Oh, you tried to hide it, but I saw it. Something is definitely going on between you two, and I think you should tell me. I am the one who cares about the two of you, and knows this whole situation more than anyone else I can think of right now." He pauses. "And I am, no matter what, your friend," he finishes up with a small smile.

Joey just looks at him. Her face shows doubt, confusion, and other emotions.

"Are you sure you wanna hear this?" Joey asks, unsure.

"Give me the opportunity to prove to you that I want us to be friends, okay? Wasn’t that all you ever wanted for us after our break ups?"

Joey bites her upper lip and nods her head.

"Okay. So… me and Dawson… we… we had sex on Christmas." She looks at Pacey but he just remains silent. If the piece of news hurts him or not, he is not showing it.

"And… and after that, I know more than ever I want to be with Dawson, but I am afraid that he doesn’t want to be with me," Joey confesses to Pacey. "And I can’t blame him, can I?" her voice trails off. Then she resumes talking with more confidence. "I mean, when I look at it from his perspective, I understand. Because I don’t seem to have any problem telling the men in my life that I want to be with them. At least not recently. But the follow-up seems to be my downfall," she pauses, contemplative. "My track record for staying committed with a man truly leaves something to be desired," she comments wryly with her crooked smile, her face scrunched doubtfully.

"But if you are sure you want to be with Dawson, really sure, you shouldn’t let your doubts and fears, or his for that matter, hold you back. I don’t think he doubts his feelings for you… I think he just doubts acting on them."

"And with good reason!" Joey retorts. "Just look at us…look at me with us. Five months ago, I was declaring with perfect assurance that you were the love of my life, the only guy for me, and that the past 25 years of my life had led up to being with you. If I couldn’t be sure back then where my life was leading, how can I be now? How can I just start over like I never said those things?"

"You can and you will. Look, Joey, you may have told me that everything in your life had led you to that moment, but you know what?" Pacey stares at her "Everything in your life has led you to this moment, too. And it will lead you to wherever you are in five months or ten years…or tomorrow. Life keeps going on, Joey. Don’t let things you said to me five months ago stop you from moving forward with your life," he urges her.

"Okay, who are you and what have you done to Pacey Witter?" Joey asks with a smirk on her face, crossing her arms over her chest. He laughs.

"I’m serious. Look at me." He comments, opening his arms with his palms turned up. "Here I am starting all over again, and who knows how many more times I will have to do it to get it right. Just two months ago, I was losing the restaurant, I had no girlfriend, and my prospects were looking bleaker by the minute…but look what happened? I got a new opportunity. Now I get some help with the Ice House, and I’m sitting in this kitchen, having a civilized talk with my ex-girlfriend," he says cheerfully, reaching over to give her hand a friendly pat. Then his face grows serious. "Losing you, breaking up with you, it was awful and painful…..but that’s fine, because that’s part of life. It wasn’t the end of the world. It never is."

Joey nods her head. She has learned that lesson too well in the last few years, too. Breaking up is hard to do, but it's never the end of the world.

"So you’re not mad at me?" she asks him with pleading eyes. She so wishes he's not.

"For going back to Dawson?" Pacey asks, a little surprised. "That’s why you were hesitant to talk to me before?"

Joey nods her head. "I’m feeling kinda… guilty, you know? Because Jack was right, it seems as if I trade boyfriends just like kids trade cards. Somehow it seems as if all my past relationships always end up being nothing and I don’t want you to think that you meant, or that you mean, nothing to me. I don’t need to disregard my pasts relationships anymore to make my present one look good. So I just wanted you to know."

Pacey looks at her intensely.

"What do you think happened with us, Jo? When I dipped you on that dance floor and kissed you, even if it was meant as a joke at first, I really felt something. I felt it bad. I really felt what we had…what we used to have." Pacey pauses, then says deliberately. "I felt it so much….I couldn’t wait to come tell you how much I missed you and wanted you in my life."

Joey bites her lip thoughtfully.

"I know Pacey, I felt it too, that’s what I am trying to say," she says sincerely. "There definitely was a spark between us. But I think… I think it was just an echo from our past. Reminding us of what we used to have when our lives were simpler and we were happy just sitting around eating cocoa-puffs on Saturday morning, or sailing around in your boat, or spending the night at a K-Mart." They laugh at the memory and then Joey pauses, thinking. "Things have changed since then…for both of us. And as much as we might want to go back to that time… we can’t. Throwing noodles at each other, although funny and lovely, is not enough anymore. And I think that is what we were trying to do. At least, what I was trying to do."

She looks away, her face becomes sad. Then she looks back at Pacey, pained.

"It was just such an emotional time…such a sad time, later, with Jen getting sick and all. It reminded me of my mother’s death, and how impermanent life can be, and suddenly I felt…alone…in a way I hadn’t felt in a long time. And Jen made it her dying wish that I….that I .." Joey’s eyes fill with tears and it becomes hard for her to speak. It takes her a moment before she can speak again. "She said that she wanted me to choose, choose what made me happy, choose between you and Dawson if that was what was holding me back from being truly happy. It was one of her dying wishes for me to be…happy" Joey wipes her eyes and gives a watery smile, a little embarrassed but also feeling the love in her heart for their wonderful friend no longer with them. Pacey takes her hand and squeezes it softly.

"She told me the same thing too…" Pacey says quietly " …..only for me…she told me not to look for happiness in other people, but to find it in myself."

This makes Joey give a little sob, but she dries her eyes quickly. "She was a very special person. I don’t think I ever quite realized how much," she says, smiling softly.

"There is no doubt about that. If there is God, Jen Lindley was one of His finest creations." Pacey states matter-of-factly.

The two friends smile at each other in loving remembering of that special person that was Jen.

Joey dabs her eyes a bit more, smiling, laughing a little at her own emotionalism. Soon she gives her head a little shake and smoothes the hair off her face with one hand. With a somewhat gentle but determined look, she resumes their discussion.

"So you see…I had just been…commanded…by a dying woman, no less…to go make some decisions and figure out what made me happy. I don’t even know if I knew what I was thinking back then. I just wanted to do something…do something, anything, life affirming and forward moving… and what came into my mind then…was you." She pauses. "Because you were…easy," she confesses simply. "The safe choice," she adds. "I already knew you… and us. I already knew how it was with us…and if I chose to remember only the good things between us, and how we had fun and bantered and all of that…well, I have no excuse for that except to say that it is easy to forget the problems in a relationship when you are sad and lonely and five years has passed to blur the memory of the bad things. And we were older, too…and I just saw us in this perfect relationship with only the good parts…and…and…"

"…and a dying woman had just commanded you to make a decision." Pacey interjects softly with a smile. "You don’t have to explain."

Joey smiles back.

"But I want to. I owe at least that much to you. It was crazy to think that after one dance and one kiss that we were meant to be together for life…not after five years and the problems we already had between us…problems that still existed and still do exist." A beat. "Not that I don’t love you…." Joey hastens to add with a smile "but just not like that, and not in the ‘forever’ kind of way."

"And you think you love Dawson in that way? The ‘forever’ kind of way?"

Joey looks down, smiling, embarrassed… she is just a jumble of emotions.

She looks back up and purses her lips thoughtfully, then makes a decision. "Yes, I do," she says simply, looking Pacey straight in the eyes.

"What we had, Pacey, it’s in the past… just like I felt when I was 17 when I told you that Dawson was my past and you were my future. But I was wrong then, and I was wrong five months ago. In my love life, you are my past, Pacey. A past I will always cherish. But Dawson is my past, present and future."

"I know. Past, present and future kind of noum. I know well." < a beat > "So If that's true, don’t be afraid to take risks, Jo. And don’t let Dawson be afraid. Life is scary sometimes. Love can be scary, too. You and Dawson…you have known each other your whole lives. It may seem sudden, so close to our break up, but knowing your history, our history, it isn’t at all. We had our chance. We gave it a hell of a try. A short try…but still a serious, grown-up try." He pauses, thinking about their five months together. "But I don’t think it was meant to be… at least not for a lifetime. I think we were definitely meant to be for a while, and I don’t regret it for even a second. So if any of this has to do with our break up, or with my feelings being hurt, or with you somehow choosing Dawson over me, don’t think that way. Some people are just meant to be, Jo. And if you and Dawson are meant to be, then I wouldn’t be doing anything but standing in the way of two people I love. So you don’t have to worry about me, Jo. I’m going to be fine." Pacey searches Joey’s face a moment to see how she is taking this. Joey looks uncertain, but she is listening intently to Pacey. He continues, earnest. "I’m not going to hold it against you. I’m not going to think that you never loved me, or that Dawson is the better man. I’m just going to be happy if it happens for you this time." He pauses. "I do want you to be happy, Jo," he finishes softly.

Joey looks at him, surprised and moved, and her eyes tear a little.

"Thanks, Pacey," she tells him simply, sincere and heartfelt.

He looks back at her, relieved and happy, and smiles. "See? That wasn’t so hard. Talking…sharing…getting closure. ‘Communication’… it’s a good thing," he jokes, imitating Martha Stewart.

Joey laughs. "Pacey!" then she rolls her eyes and groans at his bad imitation.

Pacey shrugs his shoulders and looks comically contrite. Joey laughs again. Pacey smiles to hear her laugh.

"So we’ll remember the good as a cherished memory, do our best to forgive -and forget- the bad, and move on with our lives, knowing that we won’t have any ‘what if’s hanging over us. Deal?"

"Deal," Joey heartily agrees with a big smile.

"And we won’t ever talk about this again because it's getting kind of old. Deal?"

"Deal," Joey agrees, laughing.

"Friends?" Pacey asks, stretching his hand out for her to shake it.

"Friends," Joey concurs, shaking hands with him.

Suddenly, Pacey glances, startled, at his watch. "Oh, man! I have to get back to the Ice House. I still have a ton of last minute things to go over before I leave."

"When did you say you are leaving for New Orleans?"

"Tonight. Well, the plane is all set for tonight, and I hope to be on it." He is already up and walking to the door. "I hate to rush off…"

"Go, go," Joey laughs, shooing him out with a wave of her hands. "Go be Pacey Witter, restaurant owner, serious…mature …boring…responsible …stand-up citizen"

"Bite me, Potter."

Joey smiles at his affectionate jibe.

Just as he is about to leave, he turns and looks at her for a long moment, knowing that they are truly and forever over and that Joey’s path now leads in another direction. His, too. She looks back at him, knowing that a new chapter seems to be starting in each of their lives. A new road to follow.

"Good luck, Potter," he says softly.

"Good luck, Pacey," Joey echoes him. "And Pacey?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. For understanding."

"Don’t mention it."

They share a smile. Then Pacey leaves and the door closes behind him. A smile lingers on Joey’s face for a few moments. Then her expression slowly becomes more serious. She turns her head away and stares pensively and blankly, into the room… thinking, her face almost expressionless, deep in thought.

The Creek" set, Los Angeles

Dawson and Todd are still on the set, sitting in chairs, talking. This scene picks up somewhere in the midst of their conversation.

Dawson, looking relaxed, slumps down into his chair to get a bit more comfortable and sticks his legs out a little. He cradles his steaming cup of coffee in his hands, down by his lap, not drinking from it yet. He is looking out at the set, or perhaps out into nowhere. His lips quirk into a small smile and he looks both happy and serious at the same time, as he is obviously thinking about something. Noticing the quiet that has descended on the room, Todd, who has been munching on some cheese and crackers, leans forward in his chair to get a look at Dawson’s face.

"What’s up?" Todd asks abruptly.

Dawson turns his head in Todd’s direction. Dawson has a kind of bemused or puzzled look on his face, with an undertone of seriousness.

"I was just thinking," Dawson replies.

"Well, that’s obvious. I didn’t need you to point that one out to me."

Dawson just smiles tolerantly. He doesn’t take Todd’s lack of class seriously.

"I was thinking about the scene here today," Dawson continues amiably.

"How so?"

Dawson sits up straighter in his chair, leaning forward as if to get closer to the set, intently. "Well, as is probably no surprise to you…it's roughly based on an actual event that took place between me and Joey."

Todd feigns shock and surprise. "No! You don’t say!"

Dawson just smiles a bit wider for a brief moment. He considers a moment before speaking again…not sure what it is he wants to say. Eventually he begins to talk easily, explaining. "As you saw in this scene, Sammy…that’d be Joey…tells Colby…that’d be me….that she needs time away from him…me…whoever, and Colby doesn’t take it very well. Angst and misery follow, mostly on Colby’s part. The next scene if I keep it true to real life, should have Sammy going off to quote 'find herself'away from Colby for awhile."

"But there was something else that happened, something I didn’t really remember until just now. I mean…I didn’t forget it…but I just didn’t remember it, either. I think I….I think back then- God, I was so young- I think back at 15….16…I pleaded with her to stay with me and we had…we had…said for the first time that we loved each other.. And somewhere in this epic wonderful, tragic, awful week of my life…she said….." Dawson turns and looks Todd in the eye, "…she said that I was the one she was going to want." Dawson turns his head to stare unseeing at the set again. "I didn’t remember that…probably because, I mean, what does that mean to a 16 year old who has just been told by the girl he loves that she's leaving him? It’s almost excess verbiage…irrelevant." Dawson pauses, thinking. "But almost ten years later…somehow…..it just doesn’t seem quite like 'excess verbiage', you know?" Dawson looks at Todd with a bit of a question on his face.

"Maybe she’s right, mate. Maybe that’s what this is all about." Todd offers by way of comment.

"What?"

"Well, Leery, I don’t know why I have to be the one to spell all this stuff out to you. I’m just a randy unsentimental bloke without much of a clue as to how women work…but maybe your bird is just doing what she said, or realizing it now or whatever…God, Leery, I can’t believe you are torturing me with this….okay, I’ll just go ahead and say it…maybe she’s ready to turn 'going to want you' into 'want you'…current, present tense…end of story." Todd finishes with a flourish and then a look of distaste crosses his face. "Blast it, Dawson…you really know how to torture a guy…dragging me into all this sentimental touchy-feely stuff." Todd is grimacing a bit, but it is clear that he doesn’t really mean it…at least not completely.

"That thought had occurred to me…somewhere amidst my mangled ramblings. I must admit, that thought did occur to me." Dawson admits, slightly bemused.

"Well, if I were you," Todd offers " I’d take this bird up on her offer, and just grab her by the tail feathers and…"

Dawson raises his hand up, palms out to stop Todd from continuing.

"Whoa, I get the idea."

"Well, good," Todd declares emphatically. "Just make sure you do, mate…otherwise my time here is wasted. And believe me, my time is valuable. I don’t have all day to sit around here and contemplate my navel with you, Leery. Chop chop, things need to get done! I’ve got a meeting full of stuffed shirts to go to in about five minutes. I only have so much time to spare on your never-ending personal dramas, mate!"

"I know…it never seems to be… resolved …between us." Dawson pauses and then suddenly he throws his head back with the palms of his hands over his eyes. "Aaarrggh!" he groans in frustration. "God, I just want to be with her right now. Right this second," He takes his hands off his eyes. "Man, I don't want to be here right now, rehearsing a painful moment in our lives. I want to be with Joey, for real, and talk this out with her." He pauses, looking like he could just get up and go that second. "She told me she loved me and wanted to be with me. Did I tell you that? And I didn’t know what to say. What I should say. Is it real? Is it not? I told her I’d think about it, come here to LA and think about it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But now, it just seems…stupid. Now that I am here….I just want to be there…with her," he says, emotionally.

"Well, Mr. Hyde, I am not surprised to hear that, for one, mate," Todd says, looking… well, unsurprised. "In all seriousness, you were happy six years ago. Really happy, Dawson. In a way I’ve never seen you before…or since. That kind of happiness is worth risking your cajones for, isn’t it?"

"Well, maybe not literally, but metaphorically speaking…"

Then Todd stands up and points a finger at Dawson dramatically.

"You, my conflicted and confused friend, have got this bird under your skin…you have for a long time…and sitting here pretending you can just go on with your life the same without her is just a….a….bloomin’… Dawsonian fantasy!. Don’t kid yourself, mate. This itch is never going to go away. It is time for you to face up to it. It is time, now, my man, to fish or cut bait…pee or get off the pot…choose, man. Dammit, choose!"

Dawson is surprised by Todd’s spirited assault in him, but instead of getting defensive, he finds himself actually thinking about this question, caught up in the moment…realizing that Todd is right.

Todd stops his mini-rant and sits back down calmly as if it never happened. He begins to speak in a philosophical and rational tone of voice.

"If you are waiting for some wet-dream of a 50’s fantasy-come-to-life, my friend, I think you will be sadly disappointed. The day of the accommodating servile female is over…thank God. Women are trouble, no doubt about it. It’s just a matter of what package of trouble is your package of trouble, mate. And I think your package of trouble has a label on it…and you know what that label says. It says Joey Potter," Todd says while panning his open hand across the air "…with a white picket fence and little bits o’ baby spit-up on your shirt, if that’s your idea of bliss."

Dawson smiles, amused. "You sound like Pacey."

"Smart boy, that Pacey. I’m getting to like him more and more by the sound of him. Sounds like a good sort of fellow…with a ‘pair’ on him…if you know what I mean." Todd cups his hand palm up with a quick down and up motion added for masculine effect.

Dawson smiles, amused. Todd’s assessment of Pacey is surprisingly accurate.

"You’re right, he is. And he has been known to take a risk once or twice in his life."

"Well, then, you could learn a lesson from him, mate. ‘All good things come to those who wait’….NOT! Carpe diem, Dawson. Seize the day. Sweep her off her feet. No regrets, I say."

They both mull this over in silence for a moment. Then Todd continues in an almost conversational tone of voice, as if they are just having a calm chat.

"So, what’s it going to be, mate? The way I see it, the only question you need to ask yourself is, if she’s worth putting the ol’ Leery cajones on the line or not? Putting your blood, sweat and tears into it, if that is what it takes. Or not."

Todd looks over at Dawson inquiringly. Todd smiles.

"You can take your time on that one, mate…I know it’s a biggie…but I think one way or another, you’ve been thinking about that question for ten years. I think you already know the answer. You just don’t want to say it….and I don’t blame you. This bird sounds like a handful and a half…a real pain in the… well… you know what…but isn’t that the way it is sometimes?"

The two men sit quietly, relaxed, just two men, friends, hanging out thinking about women. After a few seconds, the two men grin wide at each other and share of look of manly understanding.

Then Todd sighs. "Well, there is only so much I can do to help you on this tortured and twisted path of unrequited love. As much a hard time I give you…I know it’s your life and your decision. Only you know if she’s worth it or not…taking a chance…putting your heart on the line again…maybe to get cast out into the cold again. I don’t envy you, mate. But after ten…fifteen years ….you’d know by now….I think…..is she worth another go-round?…is she worth another shot at the proverbial blue bird of happiness?"

Memories, thoughts and feelings, both good and bad, cross Dawson’s face. Then his face clears, and softens and he looks at the space in front of him but he doesn´t give Todd an asnwer.

The Potter’s kitchen, Capeside.

Mike enters the kitchen with a new bounce in his step, but stops in his tracks as he sees Joey sitting at a table, deep in thought.

"Joey?"

She looks up, shaken from her reverie. "Hey, Dad. I never heard you come in."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Well, kind of. Just thinking over some things." He knows that look in her eyes, but before he can question her she asks, "What did Pacey want to talk to you about?"

Mike smiles. "He asked me to take over the reigns here as manager." He sits down as he finishes.

"Really?" Joey asks, suddenly coming to life. "Pacey never said anything before he left. That’s great, Dad." She leans forward and hugs him, truly happy for him. She also makes a mental note to thank Pacey for giving her dad a reason to stick around.

"And don’t I know it! Running this place was one of the things I was actually good at, well before…" He trails off; there is absolutely no need to revisit that right now.

Joey nods her head and takes a deep breath. "By the way, remember how you said that if ever I needed to talk, you would be here for me and you’d listen?"

"Yeah."

"I really need for you to do that for me right now."

He moves one of his hands across the table and places it over hers. "Is everything alright? Wait, that’s a stupid question, of course it isn’t. Sure I can listen."

"I never quite got around to telling you the whole story about Dawson and me. Sure you have managed to fill in some of the blanks, but it’s complicated and a lot of this I just need to say out loud to someone." She looks at him hopeful that he may be able to help her.

"I don’t know what to say, I feel honored that you feel I can help you with this."

("Just because" by Mary Chapin Carpenter starts playing in the background)

"I guess you know how everything started with Dawson and me, and you know how we got back together..."

Have you ever loved someone you knew nothing of
Except you'd seen the light inside their eyes
Have you ever loved someone just because
Nothing felt so easy or so right

She begins and as she starts to give her father a quick rundown on everything that has ever transpired between herself and Dawson and all the little things in between, her words aren’t heard. Instead the voices fade into the background the camera starts to pan around the table that Joey and Mike are sitting at and we see that Joey is talking animatedly and Mike listens, squeezing her hand on occasion.

"But you know, despite everything, he still has this ability to awaken something inside of me. He just makes me feel so alive and it’s only recently that I have actually really become aware of the fact that that doesn’t change."

"I understand exactly what you mean, Joey. I know you may not believe this, but your mom made me feel like that. I guess that in the end, the reason I did what I did was because I was scared of loosing her. Scared that I would never feel with anyone the way she made me feel." A beat. "Not a day goes by that I don’t regret how I treated your mother. In the end, it was because I didn’t want to acknowledge that she’d be leaving me. I promised until death do us part, and in my eyes, Lily wasn’t living up to her end of the bargain. We were supposed to grow old together."

And I think of you like the others do
Wondering if you think of me
And if you do, if you really do
Who is it that you see

"But…," Joey begins to interrupt.

"But I knew it wasn’t intentional." He continues. "I was just scared. The person that I loved more than life was dying and leaving. And I know I had no right to feel it, but I felt that she was abandoning me."

"Dad, why didn’t you ever say anything?"

"To who?" He shakes his head. "It’s not the done thing. It never was in my family. I just loved your mother so much and maybe that’s how I ended up hurting her so much." They’re both silent for a moment.

"We have a greater ability to hurt the ones we hold dear, the ones we truly love the most."

"Yeah." He agrees. "I wish I somehow had the chance to tell her, make it up to her."

"Maybe you can still tell her." He looks at her with an inquisitive expression on his face. "I know it won’t be the same, but you could always go visit her grave. Tell her. That way, you may be able to feel better about everything."

Have you ever loved
Whether right or wrong
Have you ever loved someone
Just because

"Maybe you should listen to your own advice." He tells her. "I once told you before, don’t keep what someone wants to hear more than anything locked inside. You never know when it’s too late. Don’t make my mistake."

"Thanks for listening, Dad. I’ll think about what you said."

"Not a problem, Jo. I’m just glad I may have been able to help." He smiles weakly. "Kind of helps make up for things a bit, maybe."

Have you ever tried to speak the truth instead of lie
When it seemed you had everything to lose
Have you ever tried to stand your ground instead of hide
When staying only made you look a fool

Joey doesn’t say anything but realizes this is the first time he’s ever really admitted doing anything wrong.

"I know I’ve never ever really said much. Let’s face it, we haven’t really seen each other as much over these past 10 years as a father should be seeing his daughter. But listening to you just now, I can’t help but wonder how differently things would have been for you and Bessie if I hadn’t…," he trails off and looks down at his hands for a moment before continuing. "Would you have been any different at all? I’m sure you would. And after everything you have just told me, I can’t help but think you and Dawson would be in a better position with your relationship right now."

"We can never know that, Dad. It’s impossible to tell. We may have been fine if you hadn’t been…" she seems pained to say it. "But we may have crashed and burned not long down the line, with the damage being irreparable. We can never tell with this."

A brief silence follows before Joey speaks again.

"Since we are here… can I tell you something?. It’s something my therapist told me a few weeks ago and it has been going round and round in my head. It’s about you… and the way you have affected my life," she says, looking at him kinda unsure.

"Sure, honey. Just tell me whatever you need to tell," her father says, comprehensively.

Joey nods her head and bites her upper lip before speaking.

And I stayed by you though I think I knew
It wouldn't change a thing
Changes come to hearts with ease
But they come so hard to me
Have you ever tried to make it last, not knowing why
Except you had to try
Just because

"I was talking to my therapist about my past relationships, you know? And I found a pattern in all of them. They all needed me to save them, to rescue them, to help them become something more or something better. Something I couldn’t do for you." She pauses for a moment. "I mean, you were screwed up and I always thought that maybe if you could have been fixed, you know? And somehow, that was what I was looking for...someone to fix, so I could succeed where I had failed before."

Mike looks at her with a pained expression.

"Joey, it was never your fault, Anything that happened was ever your fault."

"Oh, I know. I know that now. I wasn’t even aware of my feelings about it until a few weeks ago in therapy. Apparently, it's a very common feeling for kids whose parents are not together for one reason or another. Mostly for kids whose parents are divorced, but anyway. Separation, cheating… there is always good to look for someone to blame, and I put it on me and somehow I projected that into my love life. So the kind of relationships I always looked for were for the charming, loser guys that I could rescue. Eddie, Charlie, Chris, even Pacey. They all needed me so badly. And I took comfort and safety in that. Because I was the one in charge of the relationship, and as long as they needed me, they would never leave me. And if they ever did, they would eventually come back to me. See? It was easy. With them, it was easy."

"But not with Dawson."

"No. But not with him. He always had his life planned. He always knew what he wanted and who he was and that always scared me. Because it seemed as if I was just a reflection of him, you know? That if I stayed by his side, I would be annulled as a person because I still didn’t know who I was or what I wanted. That’s why I left him in the first place. And once I took that step and I fell into another relationships that made me feel safe, it was so hard to go back to him. Because while with the rest of my boyfriends I could pretend, I could keep a part of me from them...I couldn’t do that with Dawson. He always knew me too well."

"And you think that now you’re ready to take that step?"

Have you ever loved
Whether right or wrong

Joey smiles. "As a good friend of mine said, I can’t be afraid, and I won´t let him be afraid either. Not anymore." A beat. "I love him," she states simply and Mike smiles at her, covering her hand with his.

Have you ever loved someone
Just because
Chapter 4 by Deb
Social assistants department at Capeside.

As Jack sits outside the office where he has to sign the papers that will place Amy in foster care until everything is resolved, the look on his face is one of trepidation. He’s uncertain of what’s to come and he tries to tell himself that things will work out in spite of how he feels about everything is right now. The camera pans out and we see that Andie is sitting on one side of Jack, his hand in hers and she squeezes it reassuringly. Grams sits on the other side, holding Amy, who is making gurgling noises and breaks Jack’s moment of quiet reflection.

He smiles down at her, at his baby girl, hoping that no one can take that away from him. He knows that this is going to be extremely difficult. He won’t be the one who takes care of her for this next little while.

Amy reaches out for Jack and Grams passes her to him, the look on her face clearly conveying how sad she is right now as.
Jack hugs her dearly. "I hope you know how much Daddy loves you and I know you are too young to understand this Precious, but I have to do this. I promised your mom that I would take care of you and I plan on seeing that through." He kisses her forehead and Grams has tears in here eyes. "I’ll be coming to visit you as often as I can."

Just then they’re interrupted as someone opens the office door and a voice is heard saying "Mr. McPhee, we’re ready for you now."

Jack quickly kisses Amy on the forehead again. "Daddy will see you soon." He tells the smiling baby before passing her back to Grams.

He enters the room with this sick feeling in his stomach at the thought of what he is about to do. But that feeling quickly disappears as a small smile plays across his once straight lips.

"Let me introduce you to Bessie and Bodie Lewis. They’re going to be Amy’s foster parents while all of this is being processed." The woman, whose name has suddenly slipped Jack’s mind tells him. "We just need you to sign a few papers and then you´ll have a few moment with Mr. and Mrs. Lewis as they may have some questions for you too and so they can meet the baby."

Jack nods his head, his mouth dry as he sits to sign the papers, finding it easier now than when he thought Amy was being placed in the care of strangers. He signs the papers and he’s still speechless, having never dreamed Amy would go to Bessie and Bodie.

Minutes later Grams and Andie enter the room with someone at their back. "Look who we found!" Andie says to Jack as she takes a seat and gestures towards Doug.

"Hey." Jack says suddenly finding his voice and some enthusiasm. "You will never believe…"

Andie cuts in on Jack’s happy news. "Bessie and Bodie are going to be looking after Amy?" She smiles at him and then in the direction of Bessie and Bodie, her smile lighting up her face. "We know!"

"How do you guys know?" He asks looking towards Doug again, wondering why he was there.

"Doug just told us." Andie tells him matter-of-factly as Amy starts to play with her hair.

"How did Doug know?"

"We needed someone who was an upstanding member of the community to vouch for us." Bessie speaks up. "We figured we couldn’t get any higher than town sheriff."

Jack turns towards Bessie with so many questions swimming around in his head but only two of them require an answer right now.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because Amy hasn’t done anything in this, you haven’t done anything to warrant her having to be placed into care. Neither of you deserve this." Bessie tells him. "There’s a perfectly good home for her already with you and I know that no one can care for her as well as you, but it would be one hundred times more difficult for you if there were strangers watching over her. At least this way, everyone knows everyone. And Amy won’t have to readjust as much, granted we’re not her family but that doesn’t mean we can’t help you out."

"Why didn’t you tell me you had applied to foster Amy?"

This time it is Bodie who speaks. "We knew that if we said something and then it fell through or we weren’t successful that you would be disappointed." Bodie squeezes Bessie’s hand. "It would have lulled you into this false sense of where everything was leading, you thinking that Amy was going to people you knew, we couldn’t have you thinking she was going to come to us just in case."

"I can’t fully express how much this means to me right now." Jack says trying to process all of this, Amy going to friends, Doug playing a part and he glances towards Amy who is smiling and waving to Bessie.

"Jack?" Grams interrupts his moment of quiet contemplation.

"Hmm?"

"You were just about to tell Bessie and Bodie…" She begins and looks at him expectantly.

"Oh, right." He takes Amy from Andie and turns to Bessie. "Thank you. Somehow that doesn’t seem to quiet cut it, but it’s all I can say."

"It’s not a problem." Bodie replies.

"We want you to know that of course, once Amy is with us, you are welcome to come visit anytime Jack. In fact I think we´ll have a vacancy for the next few days, you could always come and help Amy get settled in."

"I might just do that."

"We should leave you for now, I’m sure there are still some things to go over." Grams says to Bessie and Bodie as she makes her way towards the door, followed closely by Andie and Doug.

For a while, Bessie, Boddi and jack stay inside the room talking about future plans. When they´re done, Jack holds Amy as Bessie kisses her on the cheek.

"Well, see you soon again pretty" Bessie says.

"Thank you again." Jack smiles before walking towards the door as the assistant make her way into the room again to finish ultimating somedetails with Boddi and Bessie.

Once out in the hallway Jack sighs, one of relief. He had never expected things to work out this way. Andie and Grams are walking down the stairs towards the exit while Doug stands at the top of the stairs.

Jack walks towards him, over come with gratitude.

"I know it will probably never cut it, but I just want to say Thank You. You didn’t have to…"

Doug cuts in holding up his hands, then taking one of Amy´s in his. "You don’t have to say anything. I just did what I had to do." He pauses a moment as though he is thinking over what he is about to say. "I knew how worried you would be over where Amy would be. You’d know that whoever was caring for her would treat her like their own daughter but it’s not the same. I know you probably still feel that way with her going to Bessie and Bodie. This way at least she’s not with strangers and that puts your mind at ease more. There’s not such a restriction on you seeing her."

"How did you know how…"

"Because even though we’re not together, I feel that way too." He shakes his head. "I didn’t want her to be with strangers either. I did what I did because I felt it was for the best. You have to make the best of a bad situation. You taught me that once."

They smile at each other, both somehow feeling they have so much more to say to each other but knowing at the same time words aren’t needed.

Doug glances at his watch. "I have to be going; I’m on duty in thirty minutes. I’ll see you Jack."

"I’ll see you Doug!"

And with that Doug starts his descent down the stairs, leaving Jack to ponder over everything that has happened lately.

Outside the Potter’s B&B, Capeside.

("Waiting" by Maren Ord starts playing in the background)

The grasses growing along the creek of Capeside have mellowed to a soft brown in the late winter. The air is still and the skies are darkening.

I'm sitting here
And I'm waiting patiently
For the clock to turn
It's not all that fast today

Joey stands at the end of the pier, her back to her childhood home, arms folded protectively against the cold. Her face is pensive as she gazes out across the creek. These familiar waters that have watched her stand so often here, reflect a little of the thoughts swirling through her mind.

So I'm on my own
But I know I'm not alone
I'll be witnessing
A happy ending

Joey turns her head slightly and looks down the creek. For a moment she imagines Dawson is rowing to the pier as he has done so often. He isn’t, of course, but she feels the strength that even the thought of him brings.

I'm sitting here in silence
I'm waiting here patiently
And I'm wondering
if you're waiting too

Her mind turns to the times when she has ran. Ran from Dawson, ran from the truth, ran from herself.

"What are going to do, Joey?" She asks internally. "Are you brave enough to admit that this is really who you are? That this is really what you want?"

I'm sitting here alone now
And I'm waiting here on my own
I'm wondering
If you're waiting for me too

A light comes to her eyes dispelling their former hesitation, and she straightens up, looking to the skies as snow begins to lightly fall around her. Her face breaks into a glowing smile and she closes her eyes, feeling the flakes fall on her face.

I'm watching now
And I'm seeing
others as they pass me by
It's not a pretty sight
But it will be someday

She savours the moment, the certainty she feels refreshing after the years of hidden doubts, and then still smiling she turns and runs back along the pier to the Potter B&B.

"Audrey! Audrey, are you in here?"

Joey slams the door shut, shaking snow from the shoulders of her coat.

"The office," a voice returns.

"Office?" Joey mutters and then her eyes widen in comprehension as she turns the corner into a small area off the living room that houses a computer and the B&B’s bookwork.

Audrey is seated at the desk staring at the computer screen. A pair of clear glasses is perched on the end of her nose.

"Ugh. I can’t find anything to do. I’m so desperate that I’m even looking for things to do with you and Jack and Andie on the internet and now I’m stuck here in this freezing cold town and…honey, is that snow in your hair?"

"Audrey - ssh! I’ve just decided something very important. I've had a revelation, if you like…"

"Oh, bunny, I’ve had one too. You know, you’ve been so wrong about this whole soulmates thing and believe it or not, I have had some productive time sitting here," Audrey gestures impatiently at the computer. "Look, I’ve even written it all down."

Joey frowns quizzically. "Written what down?"

"Stuff about the meaning of soulmates and love and oh, just listen - here, ‘A soul mate is someone who has the locks to fit our keys, and the keys to fit our locks.’ Mmm, I’m not sure about - oh wait a minute. What about this? ‘What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined together to strengthen each other in all labour, to minister to each other in all sorrow, to share with each other in all gladness, to be one with each other in the silent unspoken memories?’ Joey, isn’t that just beautiful and it’s by George Eliot. He was a famous writer."

Joey gives Audrey an amused grin. "Really? You don’t mean ‘she was a famous writer?’"

Ignoring Joey, Audrey continues reading from the piece of paper in front of her. "And that isn’t all, honey. There’s this: ‘From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being.’ Oh and listen to what a soulmate is according to some creature called Precious: ‘You tell them things that you've never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more.’ ‘The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever.’ ‘You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon,’ and ‘You open your heart knowing that there's a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible.’"

(The music starts playing in the background once again)

And it's not that I
It's not that I'm afraid of losing you
I'm afraid of me
And what my choices might do

Joey nods slowly. "I know. I know exactly what Precious is talking about."

"Sweetie, just one more. I found so many good quotes. Listen: ‘Soulmates must seize the chance, for the time of love is often fleeting and the past can never be regained. And that would be the greatest tragedy of all.’" Audrey removes her glasses and looks dramatically at Joey. "A tragedy, Joey. A tragedy!"

All the time I seem to wonder
How all this is gonna end
Will you stay with me forever and
Tell me that you'll never go away

Joey laughs warmly and reaches over giving Audrey a tight and impulsive hug. Then she grabs a piece of paper and writes something on it furiously. "I know and you’re right and you’re a wonderful friend which is why in the next hour, if you can pack all your products that quickly, you are driving me back to New York. I have a plane to catch!"

Audrey takes a deep breath and her eyes widen. "Bunny, am I about to aid and abet a romantic adventure?"
Joey simply smiles and places the note fr Bessie in a place she knows her sister will see it, then she walks down the hallway to her room.

Audrey lets out a delighted squeal and the scene fades to the New England scenery clothed in the stark whites of winter, flashes past the car windows as Joey and Audrey drive towards New York.

"Audrey, be careful on these roads," Joey cautions, noticing for the first time their speed. She has been preoccupied with thoughts. Happy ones for the most part. A confidence and expectant joy in the decision she has made. Her mind turns to one of the passages that Audrey had read. ‘You open your heart knowing that there's a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible.’ She is going to catch a plane today, believing for herself the validity of those words.

Audrey interrupts her reverie. "But, Bunny, I’m so excited. It’s extremely difficult to be sensible and excited at the same time."

"For this romantic adventure to be successfully achieved, I must first be delivered to the airport in one piece." Joey wags a finger of mock warning at Audrey.

"I know, I know. I will be just sensible for the rest of the trip." The twinkle in Audrey’s eyes somewhat belies her vow. "So sweetie, do you need to stop anywhere in the city before we get to the airport?"

"Yeah, but just quickly to get a couple of things at my place and," Joey pauses and then exclaims anxiously, "Hang on. Work! I’d better call Ethan." She fumbles in her tote bag for her cell phone. Keying in the familiar number she leans back in her seat waits for an answer.

"How is your handsome colleague?" Audrey asks with a grin.

Joey quietens her with a playful tap on the arm as Ethan answers the phone. "Hi, Ethan. It’s Joey here. Listen, I have a huge favor to ask you. I’ve got something very important that I have to do today. If all goes as well as I hope, I might not be back at work for a little while longer than originally planned."

Joey laughs at Ethan’s response.

"I don’t know if my recent promotion gives me too much leeway to relax. But you’re right, they can hardly fire me."
She pauses again listening to Ethan’s suggestion.

"That would be great. A break from work classified as compassionate leave. Thanks for covering all that."

Audrey grabs the phone. "Passionate leave more like it," she snickers to Ethan.

Joey retaliates, quickly snatching the phone back out of Audrey’s hand. "Concentrate on the road!" she hisses fiercely.

Audrey rolls her eyes.

"Um, sorry, Ethan. That was just Audrey," Joey laughs again. "Oh, don’t I know it."

"Know what?" Audrey whispers.

Joey brushes her aside.

"Thanks again and I’ll be in contact." Joey flips the phone shut and pushes it into the recesses of her bag. "You think you’re so funny. Passionate leave."

"It was very clever of me," Audrey reflects. "And, more importantly, it’s far closer to the truth."

Joey turns and suddenly grins at Audrey, eyes sparkling. "Well, let’s hope so. Cross your fingers." She holds up both hands, index and middle fingers crossed.

"But, Bunny, I have to focus on driving."

The shared laughter of Joey and Audrey fills the car.

Dawson’s desk at the set of "The Creek", Los Angeles.

As Dawson sifts through some papers on his desk his eyes fall on some of the pictures that have found a home there. One of himself and Lily (where he’s giving her a piggy back ride), of himself with his parents and Lily that was taken so many years ago. He hopes he’s done his father proud, and hopes that Mitch is happy he’s finally living his dreams.

…Or is he? The thought that fills his head as his eyes move to the picture of himself and Joey, taken before prom of senior year in high school.

He suddenly remembers the box Joey gave him.

As someone laughs outside of Dawson’s office, he moves towards the sofa were the box is located. He opens the box, now eager to know of its contents. Removing some of the papers, he begins to read as a voice over is heard from Joey.

("By your side". by Sade, starts playing in the background)

He removes a book titled "How To Deal With Your Parent's Death" and on glancing at the title wonders why it is in this box. Opening it he sees that there is an inscription on the inside.

You think I'd leave your side baby?
You know me better than that
You think I'd leave down when your down on your knees?
I wouldn't do that

I'll do you right when your wrong
I-----ohhh, ohhh

"Dear Dawson, when something like this happens, you wanna reach out and grab the people around you, the ones who matter the most. The ones you take for granted all the time. And you want to take those people and hold onto them as tight as you can, tell them how precious they are to you, how knowing them makes your life better every single day that you're living it. Because when something like this happens, you realize how awful it would be if they didn't know, if they weren't aware of the profound effect they've had on your life. So, I want to take this moment to tell you that I love you, Dawson, and I'm here for you... now, forever, and every day in between. Love, Joey."

If only you could see into me
oh, when your cold
I'll be there to hold you tight to me

"Today has been a day of great revelation. I finally told Dawson the truth; the news that I know at one point could potentially have killed him. About myself and Pacey and…he still came through for me. Gave me the money to go to Worthington. Not that I expected him to turn his back on me or anything. I’m not sure if I know what I expected him to do. Did I really expect for it to change Dawson? That he wouldn’t still be there for me as my best friend? There’s still this bond there, this love that goes above and beyond everything…"

We see there has been a slight time lapse now as Dawson is reading as he goes to refill his coffee cup.

When your on the outside baby and you can't get in
I will show you, you’re so much better than you know
When your lost, when your alone and you can't get back again
I will find you darling I'll bring you home

"I left Dawson twenty minutes ago. I’m now on my way back to New York and only now is it really dawning on me that I’ve barely thought of Pacey the whole duration of my stay in LA. Yet I’m already dwelling on the fact that I miss Dawson. Getting to spend all of this time with him has been great. I’ve missed it. Is it even possible that at moments I was overcome with this once common feeling, that it stirred inside of me again? Could I be…"

Dawson flipped the page but realized the entry was never completed. He wanted to know what she was going to write, but somehow he thought he knew.

If you want to cry
I am here to dry your eyes
and in no time you'll be fine

You think I'd leave your side baby
You know me better than that
You think I'd leave you down when your down on your knees
I wouldn't do that

"He put it all down to insecurity and me feeling vulnerable. To us being closer than close. But I know that, on my end at least, there was more to that kiss. It’s never ‘just a kiss’ with us. It never has been. If I close my eyes and the room is in complete silence, I see that look in his eyes before we kissed. I feel the heat rise in my cheeks just thinking about it because for one split second, I know I’m about to kiss him. I can feel his lips on mine, gliding with mine as we melt into each other. And all I’m left with when I open my eyes again is one question, "Did he really blame eggnog for his part in it?" Because I’m the one that he pegged as vulnerable, he’s not. Could there really be nothing more to it on his part? I know where I was in this. I know where I am again. Falling."

He removed the final piece from the box and began to read again.

I'll do you right when your wrong
I-----I, ohhhh, ohhh

If only you could see into me

Oh when your cold
I'll be there
To hold you tight to me

"And then, just like that, they were kissing. She didn't know how they got there. She had no idea. The thought of kissing this boy hadn't crossed her mind in years, which was weird because once upon a time, that was all she would ever think about. And then, just like that, it was over. He coughed, she shuffled her feet. And she laughed at herself. It had been one of those moments. One of those moments where you shuck your status as mere mortal and achieve, however briefly, true greatness. She had shared many such moments with this boy. But now he was leaving and nothing would ever be the same again."

Finally, he finds an envelope. The date is December 25th, 2008. The night they had sex. Inside the nevelope, there is a letter written by Joey. He reads it and his face expresses so many things that is hard to describe them. As he finished his eyes suddenly felt heavy. He quickly looks at the clock and decides that he could close his eyes for a few minutes. Within seconds, he feels himself beginning to drift, the letter still firmly held in his hand.

"Nothing changes, does it?" The angelical voice from behind Dawson says as he surveys the scene out front of Grams' old house.

He turns to see the familiar face of his dearly departed friend. "Jen?" He enquires, his mouth dry.

"I had five minutes to spare, so I thought I'd spend them with you." She looks around. "Here seemed appropriate." She says and shrugs. "No matter how hard we tried to break the cycle...we always seemed to keep on keeping on. How long have I been gone for, Dawson? What's changed since I shed my body the way a butterfly sheds its cocoon?" Dawson gives her a 'What drugs are you on?' look. "Something I picked up from an Elisabeth Kubler Ross book."

Dawson shrugs and replies matterof factly. "I'm working with Spielberg!"

Jen's face is as cold as stone as she replies. "Big whoop, Dawson. Like that's of major importance in the grander scheme of things. I came all this way to see you, and I get the Spielberg line? What else?"

"I'm living in New York."

"Damn, Dawson! Okay, subtlety is not working here. God, we've regressed. How long do I have to wait before I hear that you two have jumped each other's bones again?"

"Jen!"

"Finally! Now you seem more alive than I do. I was starting to question which one of us was dead."

"I'm not so sure it's that simple."

"When has it ever been simple with you two?"

"But the timing..."

"Was never right? I think I heard that one before. She wants you, then you want her, then she wants you and back and forth. Don't you think things happened exactly like I said they would?"

He looks at her puzzled.

"Love to the tips of your fingers. And when you find that love, wherever you find it, don't run away from it. But you don't have to chase after it, either. Just be patient and it'll come to you and when you least expect it. Isn't that what's happened? Isn’t this what you wanted?"

Dawson stands looking at her for a moment, thinking of her words and the circumstances.

He is about to reply when Jen asks, "What's stopping you now? What's your reason for not pursuing this?" Jen demanded, her words met with silence. "Maybe my words are penetrating, but in case they aren't, I'm gonna leave you with a few questions. If things remain as they are, will you be able to look back and say you never regretted giving it a shot? Will you be able to say that you haven't wasted your life? Do you think you could say that you've lived your life honestly and fully? I honestly don't think you could answer 'yes' to any of those questions."

"Jen?" Dawson says his voice barely audible.

She turns to face him. "Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"No problem. Hey, do you think this is some sort of post-Christmas, 'It's A Wonderful Life' gig? If it is, I have to see about getting me some wings. Oh, forgot to mention...I've got a message from Mitch. Get this right or he says you will be feeling his wrath and the boat incident will come nowhere near that."

She flashes him a smile and then fades away as she walks up the porch steps.

Dawson wakes with a start, realizing he fell asleep in his office. He rubs his face and then claps eyes on the picture on his desk of himself, Jen and Joey that was taken when his mom got married. He picks it up, runs a finger over Jen's face. "You always made sense of everything." He says with sadness in his eyes but then his look changes quickly and he smiles. "And you." he trails off and stares into space.

After a moment, he eagerly takes his cell phone out of his pocket . He opens it, but stares at it for a moment, indecisive. Then he smiles lightly and his face softens. With a quiet look of determination, he starts to punch in some numbers, and waits for the line to pick up. His expression alters when he gets her answering machine, but he is still eager to talk. So he does.

"Hey, Joey. It’s me. So I’ve been thinking about, well, you know what about. And I have to tell you this. One way or another, it’s always been you. Being with you these last several months just really brought home to me how much I’ve…we’ve…been missing. I’ve missed us, Jo, and it really just took a good kick in the pants, by Todd of all people, to remind me that sometimes the things we have to work hardest for are the things that mean the most to us. So I want to work for this, Jo. I want to work for us. I want to try again, but this time, do it right, once and for all. Because I can live without you, Jo, but my life just isn’t the same without you. There's just alway something missing and I think…I hope…that you feel the same…"

The phone though interrupts Dawson with a recorded message...'Beep! You have exceeded the time in which to leave a message'. Dawson looks at the phone a little chagrined and amused. He calls back.

"I can’t do this over the phone, Jo. Just know that I am coming home to you…to us…and I hope you will be ready. Ready for…everything."

(The first part of "Follow Through" by Gavin DeGraw starts playing in the background)

Oh, this is the start of something good
Don't you agree?
I haven't felt like this in so many moons
You know what I mean?

He stares at the phone thoughtfully before shutting it. He looks up, and in his face, we know he is seeing and envisioning Joey...where the road leads...possibility…the future.

Exterior of the studios where "The Creek" is being filmed in L.A.

We see the sun start to set in the outside of the studios when Joey Potter gently closes the door of the taxi behind her. She eases the large backpack on the ground and straightens her shoulder bag.

She stands for a moment, looking through the large pair of steel gates guarding the studio. She notes the busyness of people; riding on carts from one large warehouse to another, talking in small groups. Briefly, she feels a pang of loneliness, then she remembers what she told Lily, '…no matter what happens in life or how you think you’ve changed, if you’ve ever had this kind of bond, it’s just not gonna be broken that easily. That other person will never be really gone and while you’ve got each other, you can’t be alone.'

She squares her shoulders and, picking up her bags, walks over to the security guard seated in the small booth at the studio gates. The guard takes no notice of her arrival at the window and sits frowning as he listens to the hockey scores on a small radio.

Joey clears her throat and taps on the counter. "Um, excuse me."

The guard grunts in reply and holds up a hand signalling that Joey will just have to wait. Joey looks with frustration at the radio. The end of the sports segment is signaled with a muttered oath of disappointment from the guard, who then looks up and seems somewhat surprised to see Joey still waiting.

"How can I help you?" he asks tersely.

"Help? Oh, so now you've decided you have some spare time to do your job," Joey naps sarcastically. "You can help by telling me where the set of 'The Creek' is exactly."

The depth of Joey’s current emotional state is evident in her tone.

"Okay, there's no need to get all snarky on me," the guard mutters. "I can’t let you in here without a pass for security clearance. I see that you haven’t given me one." The guard sits back in his chair and folds his arms across his chest.

"Look," Joey makes no attempt to hide her anger fueled by the worry and fatigue of her quest to see Dawson. "I am a friend of the producer of the show, Dawson Leery."

The guard smirks at Joey knowingly.

"Dawson Leery has many supposed female ‘friends’ who show up for a visit. The poor guy wouldn't get anything done if I let you all in."

Joey grasps both edges of the counter and leans her head further into the booth.

"Excuse me! How dare you insinuate that I am some lust filled fan with a stalking obsession." She reaches into her bag pulling out a slim purse. Opening it she shows a photo to the security guard. "See, do you recognise this man? Dawson Leery and oh, surprise, look who’s right next to him... me."

"Lady, get out of my face." The guard wheels his chair back slightly from the window. "You've got a photo. So what? It's one of the best digital manipulations I’ve seen. But you’ve got to get up pretty early in the morning to fool Bill."

"Listen, Bill," Joey raises her voice even further to a yell. "I’ve just flown from New York for the sole purpose of seeing him. Now isn't that a bit more serious than a cut and paste photo job?!" She slams her hand down on the counter.

A man passing by inside the lot hears Joey's raised voice. "Everything okay, Bill?," he calls to the guard.

Bill chuckles a little nervously. "Just a fan, Gary."

He turns back to an irate Joey. "New York, huh? I had a couple of Japanese high school students a few weeks back trying to pay Mr. Leery a visit."

"Alright, I see nothing is going to shake you out of your little power trip. I’ll just sit here and wait until he leaves." Joey’s eyes sting with unshed tears as she turns away, placing her bags along the fence and easing to the ground.

"I’m going to have to call extra security and complete a possible stalking incident form if you stay there," Bill calls after her.

Joey glares at him, her eyes stubbornly signalling her intent to not go anywhere. She is struck by the familiarity of the situation thinking back those many years at her unsuccessful attempt to bypass the prison guard and see her father.

Rubbing her temples she looks back to the studio grounds. A smartly dressed woman, clutching a clip board, glances across in the direction of the fence and for a moment, their eyes meet.

"Joey Potter! Joey! What are you doing here?"

"Sam!! Thank God you’re here." Joey scrambles to her feet, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Is anything wrong? I mean, why are you sitting out here?" Samantha’s eyes are filled with genuine concern.

"Bill won’t let me in. He doesn’t believe that I’m a friend of Dawson’s. Isn’t that funny?" Joey gives a weak laugh.
Samantha opens her mouth to say something but thinking back to her conversation with Dawson, and noting Joey’s brave attempt to hide her anxiety, she strides quickly to the security booth.

"Hello, Ms. Cooper," Bill straightens in his chair. "Leaving early today?"

"Bill," Samantha says, ignoring the attempt at small talk. "Joey Potter is a very good friend of Dawson Leery's." She gestures to Joey, who has stood up and walked the few steps back to the counter. "I would appreciate it if you admitted her on my security clearance."

"Whatever you say, Ms. Cooper. Here you go, Miss." Bill slides a sign-in form across to Joey. Joey gives Samantha a faint smile of gratitude and writes her name. She can't resist a parting shot at Bill. "Oh, so Sam's reference is good enough for you?"

"Here, let me help you with those bags," Samantha reaches behind Joey as Bill swings the gate open. Giving Joey a quick hug, she grabs a bag and the two walk into the studio lot.

Inside the set of "The Creek".

Samantha steps ahead of Joey to the large studio door.

"They are just wrapping up a scene in here before we finish for the day."

Joey, for a moment, feels that she is literally standing on the threshold of her future and her heart beats a little faster. Anticipation prompts her to reach out a hand and help Samantha open the heavy door.

Among the crowd of people within, Joey's eyes immediately seek out and find Dawson.

He is in the center of the group, earnestly explaining the emotion behind the scene being filmed to the actors that play Sam and Colby. He demonstrates a facial expression of one of the characters and gestures for a part of the set to be moved further to the right. Samantha and Joey have not announced their presence in any way and yet, once Joey has taken a few steps into the studio and fixed her eyes on Dawson, he stops abruptly and turns seeing Joey for the first time. His audience follows the direction of his gaze and they look from Joey back to Dawson with avid interest.

Once their eyes lock, Joey stands motionless. Her senses are filled with him... this boy-next-door, this adolescent crush, this best friend, this man who has always been there, in some way, all her life.

Samantha notes the expectancy of the group and, wishing to quickly explain the interruption in the filming of the scene, she places a hand on Joey's shoulder. "This is Joey Potter, a friend of Dawson's." She smiles and adds as an inspired afterthought, "She's his 'Sammy'."

("Follow Through" by Gavin DeGraw starts playing in the background)

As if just waiting to hear these words, Joey starts talking and for the first time, really notices the other people in the studio.

"Hi," she begins shyly, and then, gathering strength and inspiration from the very long journey of emotion she has traveled to be with this man, she continues.

Oh, this is the start of something good
Don't you agree?
I haven't felt like this in so many moons
You know what I mean?

"Yes, I am his Sammy,." she says, smiling weakly "Someone that you all know well by know, even though you have never really met me. But I´m not that different to the Sammy of the show. This men here knows me that well" she smiles at Dawson when she says that and Dawson just keeps staring at her, his eyes open wide and bright. Surprised. Excited. Patient. Joey looks around her and recognizes the scene. A high school dance. Even Sammy´s dress is not so different to the one she was wearing that night. "Oh that night. The first break up. I remember it quite well". She seems to be speaking now to the two young actors that play the roles of her and Dawson, but her words are still directed to all the people that is whatching the scenes and holding their breath at the unexpected event."But don´t you think Sammy and Colby deserve a chance? I mean, a real shot? You know, it isn't often that you find someone with whom you share a bond, a closeness that transcends even friendship. A connection so rare and precious that you almost feel that putting it in words might take away its magic." The girl that plays Sammy nods her head and smiles at Joey. Joey smiles back at her.

And we can build through this destruction
As we are standing on our feet

The rest of the eople look at each other and then back at Joey, feeling the sincerity behind her words and wondering where all of this is going.

So, since you want to be with me
You'll have to follow through
With every word you say

"You can't, of course," Joey goes on confidently. "Nothing can take away the magic. Not any of the petty things that come against such a bond. Things like bad timing, personal insecurities, other relationships... fear. No matter where they are, who they’re with, what they’ve been through… Sammy and Colby deserve that shot." Joey stops, overwhelmed for an instant by her feelings and then looks directly at Dawson, finally speaking right to him.

And I, all I really want is you
You to stick around
I'll see you everyday
But you have to follow through
You have to follow through

"I could stand here and say so many things to you, Dawson. I could tell you that you mean the world to me. I could tell you that I have always loved you. I could promise that you'll have me forever. I could promise you the moon. But they’re just words." She half shrugs. "And in the long run, they don’t mean anything. What’s the point in making promises with words? They can only be broken. Now... I just want to prove it. I don't want to be with you because I need you for me to be happy or because I'm lost without you. I just want to be with you just... because. And you know what? That's the best and most powerful reason I can think of for why two people should be together." She pauses briefly, glancing at Samantha out of the corner of her eye, who is smiling.

These reeling emotions they just keep me alive
They keep me in tune
Oh, look what I'm holding here in my fire
This is for you

"’There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from.’ I read that once in a book Jen loaned me, and it’s only recently that I have thought of those words and how they apply to us. I’m pretty sure I've said some pretty mean things to you over the years, even to go so far as to say what happened with us may have been a mistake." She shakes her head. "It wasn’t. None of it was. We could change one small detail in our past so that we would have lasted, so that we would have stayed together a little bit longer. But it may not have lasted, and it may have taken what we had beyond repair. We had to be with others first to truly appreciate what we would have together. Everything shapes what we are, who we become… and I’ve finally found who I am and that there are so many things that define me. There always were." She stops for a momnt and takes a deep breath. "And I´ve come here today to tell you that..." she takes a deep breath once more and then smiles wide and bright before adding "Dawson Leery, I love you and I want to be with you."

Am I too obvious to preach it?
You're so hypnotic on my heart

A couple of people clap, breaking some of the emotion charged atmosphere. The sound startles Dawson who has never taken his eyes from Joey. He lets out the air he has been holding for a moment and searches in her face with eagerness. There is something new, something in her he hasn't seen before. She holds herself proudly and confidently, her face clear with certainty and her expression warm with love. He realizes that he is seeing her the way he always knew she could be, the woman she was once the insecure girl from the wrong side of the creek had been left behind.

The words you say to me are unlike anything
That's ever been said
And what you do to me is unlike anything
That's ever been

Dawson can feel his heart pounding in his chest, his mouth dry and his palms sweating. And he can feel that finally, they are in the same page.

"Jo...you had me from the moment I saw you standing there."

Am I too obvious to preach it?
You're so hypnotic on my heart

With her personal and unique all teeth smile, Joey walks to Dawson. They stand facing each other and then Dawson reaches out a hand, brushing some hair off and cupping Joey's face.

So, since you want to be with me
You'll have to follow through
With every word you say

Joey's eyes half close, savoring his touch. With his free hand, he gently traces the outline of her cheek with his thumb and then bending down, gently grazes her lips with his own. As their kiss deepens and their mouths part, the group around them breaks into spontaneous applause. Samantha lets out a loud whistle and people laugh, smiling at the couple.

And I, all I really want is you
You to stick around
I'll see you everyday
But you'll have to follow through

Joey and Dawson break their kiss for a moment and then Joey reaches up and brings Dawson's head down to hers to kiss him once more, with passion and love and in a way she makes sure he will remember even when they´re old and grey. A kiss for the ages.

You have to follow through
You're gonna have to follow

After the kiss, their bodies meld together in a familiar hug, foreheads gently resting together.

"I really need to read this book Jen was babbling on about," Dawson murmurs before capturing her lips again in a kiss. It’s brief this time and still holding each other, they look around at the smiling, clapping and whistling commotion. They laugh, feeling the pure joy of the moment as the camera pans out when they start to kiss again and the group of people dissolve, commenting on the whole scene with big grins on their faces. The newly couple remains in the center of the set, holding and kissing each other.

Oh, this is the start of something good
Don't you agree?

CREDITS
This story archived at http://capeside.fanfix.de/viewstory.php?sid=100